2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 526-550 | 551-575 | 576-600  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,485 | Reviews: 585 | Show All Ratings:
weeare138

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Much thanks to TomDecapolis for supplying this brew that I've been waiting months to try...
Appears a hazy pale gold with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar.
Smell is of watermelon jolly ranchers, & obvious watermelon water ice jumping out without anything else more that stands out. It may sound appealing from a distance but it's really one dimensional.
The taste is of light sugar, bubblegum, and watermelon rind. I really don't know what else to say about it. It's not really bland...it's just uncomplex.
Mouthfeel is fizzy, light, yet very interesting.
I give 21st Amendment props for making this beer. It sounds like something that I would try for one of my homebrews. I'm sure they did a much better job than what I would've attempted.

01-08-2007 03:39:08 | More by weeare138
kmcnair

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Canned microbrew! The wave of the future! (I hope)

Aroma - definitive sweet watermelon, crisp wheat, clean - no diacetyl, no noticable hops.

Appearance - Hazy golden hue, long lasting white head.

Flavor - Malty, wheat backbone that is slightly tart, pronounced fresh watermelon accent that tastes like real watermelon. Slight hop bitterness, focus is definitely on the blend of fruits. Well attenuated as it has a dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean with moderate carbonation, slightly creamy texture and a bit of warmth, not astringent. Light-medium bodied.

Overall Impression - This is a really well executed fruit beer, the balance of the base beer is almost perfect. Some critiques... I think a bit more wheaty twang and a spicy phenolic would go really well with the fresh watermelon flavors. Its a really great, easy drinking beer that I would love to enjoy on a hot summer day.

Thanks to barleypop for the can!

12-07-2006 05:48:20 | More by kmcnair
blitheringidiot

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Is this the first can I've reviewed since Miller Lite? Fantastic styled can from 21A. Thanks Nico & Shaun.

Pours out as a deep murky hazy swamp water orange hue. No head to speak of.

Nose is a light cheddar, yes as in cheese. No fruit appearing.

First swigs: Oh there is the watermelon. Crammed in with the wheat and the light escaping malt. THis is a balancing act of light wheat and light malt. Yummy! Slight bubble gum. Easy watermelon and yes...cheese! Stickin' with the cheese aspect but subtle

Feel is thin and brisk!

Last swigs: This is trade worthy. Seek and destroy!

12-03-2006 06:59:52 | More by blitheringidiot
timtheenchanta

South Carolina

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

Many thanks to lou91 for sending a beer I've been excited about trying.

Clear golden straw color... almost like watered down honey. Thin white head that quickly fizzles away.

The nose is more akin to pineapple than watermelon. Slight wheat smell and a hint of doughy yeast.

Once again the taste is closer to pineapple but there's some watermelon flavor to it after it warms to room temperature. Dirty unkind wheat flavors.

Not my favorite brew overall but I'm glad I got the chance to try it. I think 21st's small capacity is the best thing this beer has going for it because it keeps people wanting to try it.

11-17-2006 22:16:51 | More by timtheenchanta
shivtim

Georgia

2.1/5  rDev -35.2%

Watermelon Wheat in a can? Lets give it a try.
It's slighty hazy and amber, with no head to speak of. The nose is bitter watermelon and not much else. Taste is lots of watermelon, but it's not sweet at all. It's like watermelon vines. Very acrid and metallic. Mouthfeel is ok I suppose, it's a bit watery. The drinkability suffers from the non-sweet punch of watermelon flavor.

10-03-2006 01:46:29 | More by shivtim
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

I, too, must thank Lou91 for this sample. I have been wanting to try this one.

Poured a pale straw color with a touch of cloudiness. Two finger, white head formed and then quickly disappeared. Some light lacing left behind.

Aroma is light. Average wheat beer smell, but with a hint of sweet watermelon. That little wiff of watermelon peaks my curiosity.

The taste follows the same path as the aroma. At first, it seems to be an average wheat beer, but then the watermelon creeps in. Nicely blended between the two. I was worried that it might be too sweet, but it is not. Watermelon aftertaste reminds you that it is a different kind of wheat beer.

Nice, light mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. This would have been an interesting beer to bring to a cookout. I think most people would enjoy it.

10-02-2006 13:38:19 | More by Imstillthegman
dirtylou

Washington

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

12oz single, Thanks lou91 for the try, I have been hearing about this beer in comparison to the great dane's version

appearance: I had no idea this came in a can....pours into an imperial pint glass....very pale body, light straw color, frothy white head with light lacing

smell: I can tell almost immediately what this beer is as i've seen its type before....a nice and original fruit presence over an average wheat body. I've never had a watermelon wheat before though, so its a fresh idea to me...aroma is of a nice red watermelon, honey, pale wheat body

taste: taste is immediately of watermelon which im not sure my palate knows how to process...body and base resembles an american pale wheat with very subtle flavor. It's an interesting beer and I can see a 6 pack of cans being a nice buy on a hot summer day

mouthfeel: medium-light body, average carbonation

drinkability: pretty high

09-20-2006 02:29:20 | More by dirtylou
Brewfan

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev +25.9%

Thanks to Lou91 for the "bonus can" in our recently completed trade.

Poured from a 12 oz. silver can depicting what looks like mob guys in suits into my Duvel tulip.
Huge frothy white head on a clear golden body. Little retention in the head left little lace to speak of on the beer. Steady stream of bubbles rises from south to north.
Aroma of overripe watermelon. Not very pungent, but sweet, like watermelon sitting in a bowl in the sun for a few hours. No discernable hop aroma, just fruit. Actually very nice.
Initial taste is not far from the aroma. Sweet watermelon juice with a little maltyness and cantelope. Definate hoppy bitterness rounds out the back of the tongue. Quite refreshing. This is a definate summer beer. I could easily see myself sipping cans of these on the beach or a boat.
Light mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Crisp and snappy.

Thanks to Lou for the chance to try this one. I can see myself trading for a case next June.

09-20-2006 01:05:54 | More by Brewfan
Chadbrew

Delaware

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

OK I'm pretty impressed with this. I really wanted to try it for the gimmick of a watermelon beer but I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing beer with alot of flavor. The appearance isn't anything to brag about and the aroma was a little like a capri-sun but the flavor was everything I thought it wouldn't be. Thankfully this is not a sweet beer. If it had been I think it would have ruined the beer by fullfilling my expectation of a watermelon extract/candy alcoholic schnaaps-like drink. Instead the fruit presence is definitely melon but was more cantaloupe than sugary. Highly drinkable... go get some!

06-29-2006 22:39:18 | More by Chadbrew
TheLongBeachBum

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Presentation: Silver can with black silhouettes and a dark red square with the words ‘Watermelon Wheat Beer. Holds 12 ounces of beer and is listed at 5.5% ABV.

Appearance: Massive white head forms rapidly and fills all the available space in my 20 ounce glass, despite the fact that it only holds 12 ounces of the brew. Pale golden yellow with a milky body. Clean looking with a healthy conditioning but it is not the usual over-carbonated fizz that so often comes from Cans.

Nose: Sweet nose, delicate wheat with little in the way of anything except for a very delicate hint of freshly cut watermelon.

Taste: Thin profile and low key tastes, but nice enough. Hints of watermelon only come through in the finish. The beginning has a watered down presentation and it struggles a bit in the initial stages but soon pulls round in the finish when the fruits show them selves.

Mouthfeel: It’s a wheat beer so it doesn’t knock your socks off, yet it puts up support in all the right places. Tended to feel a bit weak at first but it grows on you. Light but cheery!

Drinkability: Very refreshing, this is a great Summer beer and it doesn’t put up much of a fight, and it has a fantastic thirst quenching quality.

Overall: Craft beer in a Can is new to me, and this is probably the first which I have had in fact in the US. Lugged all the way down from San Francisco and gifted to me by Gentleman BA Barleypop.

06-11-2006 23:40:29 | More by TheLongBeachBum