1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Ratings: 1,469 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
goodbyeohio

Oregon

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

thanks to mkgrenwel for this can. i think i got it because he really disliked it.

hazy golden pour which keeps a creamy circle floating above. retention is minimal, like a belgian with no sticky power.

i can certainly get hints of fresh watermelon juice in the nose, but they're just that.. hints. predominant in the aroma is the graininess of an american wheat beer.. the fruitiness compliments the natural sour tinge of the wheat and accents it with summer sweetness.

easy drinking, weird tasting. first off, the beer is rather buttery. shows the watermelon quickly yet thoroughly and fades into a banana-laced almond paste flavor with earthy grains. i wish the watermelon is what's allowed to linger on my palate.. after all, the only reason i got excited about trying this is because i like watermelon.

great concept, love the can. what a snoozer though. i have no problem finishing my glass.. but i won't bend over backwards to procure any more brews. thought the watermelon funk at BBF was phenomenal- that's what needs to be done to this beer to enhance its fruitiness.

02-07-2007 19:48:35 | More by goodbyeohio
weeare138

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Much thanks to TomDecapolis for supplying this brew that I've been waiting months to try...
Appears a hazy pale gold with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar.
Smell is of watermelon jolly ranchers, & obvious watermelon water ice jumping out without anything else more that stands out. It may sound appealing from a distance but it's really one dimensional.
The taste is of light sugar, bubblegum, and watermelon rind. I really don't know what else to say about it. It's not really bland...it's just uncomplex.
Mouthfeel is fizzy, light, yet very interesting.
I give 21st Amendment props for making this beer. It sounds like something that I would try for one of my homebrews. I'm sure they did a much better job than what I would've attempted.

01-08-2007 03:39:08 | More by weeare138
kmcnair

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Canned microbrew! The wave of the future! (I hope)

Aroma - definitive sweet watermelon, crisp wheat, clean - no diacetyl, no noticable hops.

Appearance - Hazy golden hue, long lasting white head.

Flavor - Malty, wheat backbone that is slightly tart, pronounced fresh watermelon accent that tastes like real watermelon. Slight hop bitterness, focus is definitely on the blend of fruits. Well attenuated as it has a dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean with moderate carbonation, slightly creamy texture and a bit of warmth, not astringent. Light-medium bodied.

Overall Impression - This is a really well executed fruit beer, the balance of the base beer is almost perfect. Some critiques... I think a bit more wheaty twang and a spicy phenolic would go really well with the fresh watermelon flavors. Its a really great, easy drinking beer that I would love to enjoy on a hot summer day.

Thanks to barleypop for the can!

12-07-2006 05:48:20 | More by kmcnair
blitheringidiot

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Is this the first can I've reviewed since Miller Lite? Fantastic styled can from 21A. Thanks Nico & Shaun.

Pours out as a deep murky hazy swamp water orange hue. No head to speak of.

Nose is a light cheddar, yes as in cheese. No fruit appearing.

First swigs: Oh there is the watermelon. Crammed in with the wheat and the light escaping malt. THis is a balancing act of light wheat and light malt. Yummy! Slight bubble gum. Easy watermelon and yes...cheese! Stickin' with the cheese aspect but subtle

Feel is thin and brisk!

Last swigs: This is trade worthy. Seek and destroy!

12-03-2006 06:59:52 | More by blitheringidiot
timtheenchanta

South Carolina

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

Many thanks to lou91 for sending a beer I've been excited about trying.

Clear golden straw color... almost like watered down honey. Thin white head that quickly fizzles away.

The nose is more akin to pineapple than watermelon. Slight wheat smell and a hint of doughy yeast.

Once again the taste is closer to pineapple but there's some watermelon flavor to it after it warms to room temperature. Dirty unkind wheat flavors.

Not my favorite brew overall but I'm glad I got the chance to try it. I think 21st's small capacity is the best thing this beer has going for it because it keeps people wanting to try it.

11-17-2006 22:16:51 | More by timtheenchanta
shivtim

Georgia

2.1/5  rDev -35.2%

Watermelon Wheat in a can? Lets give it a try.
It's slighty hazy and amber, with no head to speak of. The nose is bitter watermelon and not much else. Taste is lots of watermelon, but it's not sweet at all. It's like watermelon vines. Very acrid and metallic. Mouthfeel is ok I suppose, it's a bit watery. The drinkability suffers from the non-sweet punch of watermelon flavor.

10-03-2006 01:46:29 | More by shivtim
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

I, too, must thank Lou91 for this sample. I have been wanting to try this one.

Poured a pale straw color with a touch of cloudiness. Two finger, white head formed and then quickly disappeared. Some light lacing left behind.

Aroma is light. Average wheat beer smell, but with a hint of sweet watermelon. That little wiff of watermelon peaks my curiosity.

The taste follows the same path as the aroma. At first, it seems to be an average wheat beer, but then the watermelon creeps in. Nicely blended between the two. I was worried that it might be too sweet, but it is not. Watermelon aftertaste reminds you that it is a different kind of wheat beer.

Nice, light mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. This would have been an interesting beer to bring to a cookout. I think most people would enjoy it.

10-02-2006 13:38:19 | More by Imstillthegman
dirtylou

Washington

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

12oz single, Thanks lou91 for the try, I have been hearing about this beer in comparison to the great dane's version

appearance: I had no idea this came in a can....pours into an imperial pint glass....very pale body, light straw color, frothy white head with light lacing

smell: I can tell almost immediately what this beer is as i've seen its type before....a nice and original fruit presence over an average wheat body. I've never had a watermelon wheat before though, so its a fresh idea to me...aroma is of a nice red watermelon, honey, pale wheat body

taste: taste is immediately of watermelon which im not sure my palate knows how to process...body and base resembles an american pale wheat with very subtle flavor. It's an interesting beer and I can see a 6 pack of cans being a nice buy on a hot summer day

mouthfeel: medium-light body, average carbonation

drinkability: pretty high

09-20-2006 02:29:20 | More by dirtylou
Brewfan

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev +25.9%

Thanks to Lou91 for the "bonus can" in our recently completed trade.

Poured from a 12 oz. silver can depicting what looks like mob guys in suits into my Duvel tulip.
Huge frothy white head on a clear golden body. Little retention in the head left little lace to speak of on the beer. Steady stream of bubbles rises from south to north.
Aroma of overripe watermelon. Not very pungent, but sweet, like watermelon sitting in a bowl in the sun for a few hours. No discernable hop aroma, just fruit. Actually very nice.
Initial taste is not far from the aroma. Sweet watermelon juice with a little maltyness and cantelope. Definate hoppy bitterness rounds out the back of the tongue. Quite refreshing. This is a definate summer beer. I could easily see myself sipping cans of these on the beach or a boat.
Light mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Crisp and snappy.

Thanks to Lou for the chance to try this one. I can see myself trading for a case next June.

09-20-2006 01:05:54 | More by Brewfan
Chadbrew

Delaware

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

OK I'm pretty impressed with this. I really wanted to try it for the gimmick of a watermelon beer but I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing beer with alot of flavor. The appearance isn't anything to brag about and the aroma was a little like a capri-sun but the flavor was everything I thought it wouldn't be. Thankfully this is not a sweet beer. If it had been I think it would have ruined the beer by fullfilling my expectation of a watermelon extract/candy alcoholic schnaaps-like drink. Instead the fruit presence is definitely melon but was more cantaloupe than sugary. Highly drinkable... go get some!

06-29-2006 22:39:18 | More by Chadbrew
TheLongBeachBum

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Presentation: Silver can with black silhouettes and a dark red square with the words ‘Watermelon Wheat Beer. Holds 12 ounces of beer and is listed at 5.5% ABV.

Appearance: Massive white head forms rapidly and fills all the available space in my 20 ounce glass, despite the fact that it only holds 12 ounces of the brew. Pale golden yellow with a milky body. Clean looking with a healthy conditioning but it is not the usual over-carbonated fizz that so often comes from Cans.

Nose: Sweet nose, delicate wheat with little in the way of anything except for a very delicate hint of freshly cut watermelon.

Taste: Thin profile and low key tastes, but nice enough. Hints of watermelon only come through in the finish. The beginning has a watered down presentation and it struggles a bit in the initial stages but soon pulls round in the finish when the fruits show them selves.

Mouthfeel: It’s a wheat beer so it doesn’t knock your socks off, yet it puts up support in all the right places. Tended to feel a bit weak at first but it grows on you. Light but cheery!

Drinkability: Very refreshing, this is a great Summer beer and it doesn’t put up much of a fight, and it has a fantastic thirst quenching quality.

Overall: Craft beer in a Can is new to me, and this is probably the first which I have had in fact in the US. Lugged all the way down from San Francisco and gifted to me by Gentleman BA Barleypop.

06-11-2006 23:40:29 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Suds

3.81/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Interesting beer. It is straw colored, with a small head. Faint haze. Vegetal smell...not quite watermelon, but rather a watermelon rind and stem. The taste, though, is very summery, full of farm watermelon. One of the more unique beers I've ever had. Light and dry, but very genuine. Interesting and fun.

10-26-2013 03:55:00 | More by Suds
Stephanate

4.38/5  rDev +35.2%

Perfect summer beer. Cool and refreshing. Smooth light wheat taste with great real watermelon after taste. Doesn't have that generic fake watermelon after taste like a candy. No bitterness. Comparable to most light beers in wheat flavor but with the additional summer fruitiness.

08-14-2013 18:56:23 | More by Stephanate
Libationguy

Nevada

3.53/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hazy light straw color. (Served with a wedge of watermelon on the glass at the brew pub).

Watermelon, citrus, yeasty, pink grapefruit, toasted white bread, grassy.

Soft round notes of cereal, citrus and yeast on the palate. Fairly four-square with a clean, lactic finish.

Medium- bodied with a slightly watery texture.

Refreshing with the watermelon, but fairly simple and needing a little more texture.

(Tasted from sampler at the brew pub).

07-06-2013 01:21:08 | More by Libationguy
socon67

3.59/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy light golden pour with a high white foam head. Soapy lacing on the glass.

S - Has a strong wheat aroma, and certainly a faint smell of watermelon rind. slightly too candy like (think Jolly Rancher) but better than others I can recall.

T - Typical witbier profile more than what one would consider a fruit beer. Light grains give a nice base to a beer that is refreshing. Finish hits the mouth with sweetness of watermelon that is pleasant although maybe a bit too sweet.

M - Has a wheat germ grottiness to it. Leaves a sweet finish that would make it not sessionable to me, but likely for others. Clean beer.

O - Not bad and a good summer beer. I just don't see this being anything special.

07-02-2013 02:48:51 | More by socon67
Mantooth

2.89/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On draft at The String Bean, Belmont, NC. Poured in a standard US pint glass.

Pours hazy with a fair amount of visible carbonation, very little head and a nice bit of oily lacing that persists throughout the experience. I can faintly smell watermelon, but I also know it's supposed to be there. I can definitely taste it, along with some bitter rind and some thin standard flavors of a lesser wheat beer. I'm glad I tried it.

03-27-2013 23:09:37 | More by Mantooth
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.76/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On-tap at the brew-pub of 21st Amendment complete with a water-melon wedge on the rim of the glass (4.9% ABV).

Hazy gold body with a thin excuse for a head on top.

Not a lot going on in the nose or taste really: some watery wheatness just about detectable and I suppose some water melon hints as well.

OK, but not my sort of beer. Refreshing but not a winter beer in my eyes, which is when I had it.

03-27-2013 22:06:24 | More by BlackHaddock
BeerManDan

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

The color when poured into a glass was a hazy light yellow with hardly any foam and not lace at all on the side of the glass. The smell of yeasty citrus was evident in the aroma. The taste had of a bitter yeasty watermelon, that was not a pleasant feel on the palate. This is not what I would expected from the beer company. Not one of their better brew's.

11-16-2012 23:58:50 | More by BeerManDan
mgironta

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

This brew poured with a one finger white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a clear, golden-yellow color with mild visible carbonation. The nose was very muted. I only got a hint of watermelon. I remember this having more of a nose the last time that I had it. On the taste, the first thing that hit me was how much more carbonation there was on the taste than what I could see in the glass. The next thing that hit me was that this tasted exactly like a liquid watermelon jolly rancher to me. This was completely saturated with lots of artificial watermelon, which wasn’t all that pleasant. After that, I really didn’t get anything else. Any other flavors were completely hidden by the watermelon. The finish was quick, again with watermelon. I remember enjoying this beer much more…I guess my tastes have changed. I would not rush back to have this.

09-16-2012 23:04:33 | More by mgironta
Ilafan

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Watermelon beer? What will they think of next? Very little head that lasted a very short time. I, personally, could not detect any discernible smell. However, the taste was exactly as advertised by the name. Resheshing, crisp watermelon dominates. I like its uniqueness. Hey, does drinking this count as a serving of fruit?!?

08-19-2012 22:50:48 | More by Ilafan
UCLABrewN84

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap for the 4th Anniversary event at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of wheat, grain, yeast, spices, and some slightly fruit (but not watermelon) aromas. Taste is much the same with a very mild watermelon flavor on the finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is refreshing but the watermelon presence is mild and hard to pick out in my opinion.

08-14-2012 01:25:24 | More by UCLABrewN84
sakana

3.63/5  rDev +12%

I'm reviewing this based on memory, so please bear with me, as I do not have tasting notes.

It was a hot night at the bar, and I was in the mood for something light and refreshing to chase away the cloying heat of the place. this pale yet flavorful beer was thoroughly enjoyable and was just what the doctor ordered to chase away the uncomfortable warmth of the place.

This was not the first watermelon wheat beer I had consumed, there was another I had enjoyed the previous summer that drew me to choose this instead of one of the other available options. Don't expect it totaste strongly of watermelon - I only moticed melon flavors in the aftertaste, as up front you mostly we treated to a light, wheaty flavor.

Definitely a nice treat for a hot day, and now that I know that I can get it in cans, it'll likely come with me to the next BBQ I attend.

07-16-2012 21:27:01 | More by sakana
thecheapies

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

Hazy light amber color. Overpoured, and the meager head didn't hold. 3.0

Wheat malts and some lemony tang. Almost buttery in its aroma. 3.0

Phenolic watermelon and buttered popcorn. Slight artificial strawberry character. Weak wheat malts. Goofy flavors. 2.5

Really effervescent. The body is forgettable. 2.5

Average fruit wheat. Not boring, just faulty execution. 3.0

06-30-2012 13:35:37 | More by thecheapies
jtierney89

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Brought this beer into the store because some guy told me a story about how he was stranded on the side of the road in Nevada and that he found a can of this and it saved his life. Will it save mine? Probably not, but this guy has a story and I'll try and relive it.

I was really put off by this beer at first but after a few sips and some time to air out, its starting to grow on me. Oddly enough this beer presents itself in a way which is the opposite of which you think it would. Up front first is the wheatiness of the beer, touch of coriander with grain husk. This mid sized body thins out into a semi sweet watermelon effervescence and a dry finish. Overall mimosa like with some watermelon juice.

For what it is, its refreshing fruity and unlike anything I've ever had before. It takes a little while to understand it and enjoy it, but its one of the most innovative beers I've had.

06-07-2012 04:22:01 | More by jtierney89
BARFLYB

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

On Tap at Old Eagle Tavern in a pint glass. I've been avoiding this beer for quite some time.

Hell or High looks pretty in the glass with a light bronze color with some gold trimmings. All together the beer is very still and dead looking with the head dying by the time it got to me, no lace on this one. Looks more like a pale ale than a fruit beer.

The smell is very grainy with some some wheat in the background. Only getting trace sniffs of watermelon with a whole lot of grass. This one is earthy in every sense of the word and not on the sweet smelling side.

And by god, this stuff is very putrid. It' s not the most offensive beer in the world, or perhaps this is an old keg, but this tastes like bad homebrew. Old faded hops give way to a big grassy smack in the palate, like an old IPA. The watermelon is light and not artificial tasting which is a good thing. Pale malt with lemon grass. I don't know what else to say.

Feel is on the less than medium side with a sharp carb hit despite the beer looking dead. The alcohol is not tasted, yet the aftertaste of old grass is off putting. I thinks this may be a old keg, no way 21st would put out a brew in such large quanity with it being a dud, or would they.

This is a very popular beer with new to craft drinkers. My brother swears by it and he is a BMC guy, so I guess there is some appeal to the non beer geek to seek this out with the watermelon addition. I need to try this from a can, but my draft score will remain.

05-29-2012 02:29:58 | More by BARFLYB