Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 685 | Hads: 2,453
3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Slightly hazy with a dark straw color. Moderate head that dies off quickly; leaves no lasting lace.

Sour and wheaty to the nose. A touch of sweetness but no watermelon that I can discern.

Definite watermelon in the taste, but not as the dominant flavor. Good wheat base. Light sweetness on the tongue, but this is completely gone in the swallow. Very short aftertaste and very dry. Good body with a solid level of carbonation. (428 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one. You can tell how much he likes me as this was the first beer he offered upon my return to Chicago. Served in a Jester King snifter.

A - A finger of white foam fizzles to a thin ring, leaving minimal lace. Hazy orange body.

S - Initially I thought this smelled pretty bad. Stale hops, lightly rotten fruit, and cloying malt sweetness. However, as it warmed up I actually got more of the advertised watermelon flavor and it got a bit better.

T - Taste is a marked improvement. Watermelon, light wheat and grain, and some sugary malt sweetness. Perhaps a bit saccharine, but fairly enjoyable for what it is.

M - Medium-light body, smooth pleasant medium-low carbonation. Pretty clean and refreshing.

D - Once you get past the aroma, there's a decent beer waiting. Still, not something I'd want to bother with again. Markedly inferior to the watermelon lambic hombrew someone brought to RBWG 2010. (936 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a pale golden-yellow color with 2-3 inches of white head and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of wheat, grain, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Tastes of wheat, fruit, and sweet malts. Hints of watermelon, not not that much

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbontion. Crisp and easy to drink.

d - A very easy to drink beer but nothing crazy. If you like wheat/bread and hints of watermellon you might enjoy this one more. Probably wouldn't have again. (515 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle.
Hazy golden body with a good head.
The aroma is unappealing but the flavor is good and has an actual watermelon note.
I suppose this requires a fairlly mild flavor in order for the watermelon to shine through.
Refreshing. (239 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours clouded golden with a foamy white head that slowly descends to a thin, lasting cover. Dotted lacing slides down the glass.

The smell is grainy and bready. Didn't quite catch watermelon enough to peg it as that without knowing on initial smell, but a subsequent smell, before tasting, gave a clear, strong watermelon presence.

The taste is bready/yeasty - a bit too much so with watermelon. There is an herbal touch of hops - subtle, but more than typical of the style. There is a wheat tang in the finish. The short-lived aftertaste is of having bitten a watermelon rind while drinking a decent American Pale Wheat.

It is watery thin overall, though clean and not too fizzy.

At least it is not artificial fruit syrup, and has a bit of (largely washed-out) character. It's a bit too yeasty and thin/watery. Interesting as a novelty (second watermelon beer I've had). One drinks fine, but wouldn't reach for another (even in a "watermelon mood"). (954 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a snifter. This was a gift from Matt, thanks. Beer is yellow and hazy, forms a thick white head (I poured it hard) that falls away into a thin head of small white bubbles. The initial head left some lacing on the glass. Its a little under carbed but it looks OK.

Aroma has a slight Jolly Rancher watermelon character to it...general sweetness. Kind of simple.

Clean, finishes nicely, medium body, grainy in the back, that's fine, some sweetness up front with the watermelon in the middle. Its about what you'd expect a watermelon wheat to taste like. Second taste, mouthfeel is fine, drinkability is fine. Nothing special, I like this brewery but this beer is just OK. (693 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Served in a can at Cork City in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a lightly hazy pale straw yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a thin fizzy off-white head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass.

S: The aroma of this beer is mild but you can definitely detect the smell of watermelon and wheat.

T: The watermelon flavor stands out more in the taste than the smell but there is also a decent wheat body. I like the fact that the watermelon flavor is not artificial or overly sweet.

M: Light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: Certainly the best watermelon beer that I have tried as it is not overly sweet and does not taste like a Jolly Rancher. The beer is easy to drink and refreshing but I'm not sure it would be a sessionable beer for me (just not a flavor profile that I loved). Would be good on a real hop summer day. (982 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours ½ finger of white head. Little retention. Color is a light hazed golden yellow.

Aroma: Watermelon and wheat. Lemon zest and spice. Earthy.

Taste: Watermelon and cantaloupe. Spices and zest flavors. Wheat. Lemons. Earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Refreshing. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of dry.

Overall, this is a refreshing summer beer, but not crazy. Not very much to say about this one. (443 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A: Light in color with a lot of bubbles. Very little head and no lacing.

S: Not a big nose, the watermelon is there, but faintly and not a lot else.

T: The watermelon is apparent on the front, but fades relatively fast. As the beer warms the watermelon flavor last a little bit longer. I wish it was a little bit stronger overall. The wheat flavor is pretty obvious here too.

M/D: Easy to drink, and would probably be better on a hot day outside. I could see myself bringing it to a BBQ or dinner, but I probably wouldn't drink more than one, and would give the rest out. (614 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +4.3%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light, pale and wheat malt scent along with a strange breadiness and a weak watermelon aroma. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pale and wheat malt flavor with a mild watermelon character. It's got a weird taste to it, but I guess it's the fruit. I'm not used to watermelon flavored beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an above average beer, but nothing I would buy again. (555 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +13.8%

12 ounce can poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden orange color with an initial fluffy white head. The dissipation was rather quick but it did retain a thin foam cap and ring. Lacing is on the weak side.

S: Grain, lemon zest, a bit musky with an overall citrus forward nose. It's nothing overpowering at all but nothing is off putting. I wish there were more aromas of watermelon coming through in the nose but I couldn't find anything of the sort.

T: Wheat, watermelon comes through quite nicely on the first sip and it does taste quite natural which I wasn't expecting. It's not overly sweet or artificial tasting by any means, which I enjoy. Subsequent sips do lose the watermelon flavor but it retains a bit of itself as your palate adjusts. Some bready malt notes come out in the finish as does just a hint of tartness from the fruit flavors. A lot better than I expected.

M: Very bubbly, well-carbonated, honestly this is how I like wheat-esque beers to be. Again, nicely done.

This beer is a unique take on a wheat-centric beer by adding watermelon, something of which I've never seen done before. And it works quite well. Nothing seems overpowering but the aromas could use some work, as could the flavor profile in the taste. I'd like to see the watermelon stay relevant throughout, but a nice base for a flavored wheat beer. (1,353 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a can into a SA perfect pint glass. It appears a cloudy yellow color with less than a finger of white head that fizzles away fairly fast. Absolutely no lacing to be found on the glass. Aroma of this beer opened up initially with almost a fake overkill watermelon smell that quickly subsided and took a back seat to the other scents of wheat, slight note of citrus, more watermelon (quite faint and only because im searching for it due to the nature of this particular brew) and a touch of sulfur. Hops present themselves with a slight bit of grassy character. Taste has an immediately evident flavor of watermelon that turns a bit ackward in flavor almost like you were eating a watermelon and started chewing the white part too close to the rind... Also included in the flavor is a bit of the sulfur that was evident in the aroma and an aftertaste that is some strange mix of watermelon rind and grass. Light feel with this beer and a high amount of carbonation.

I gotta tip my hat to the brewers for being creative with this one but I won't drink it again. It is to be commended that the watermelon flavor that was included seemed quite natural and not overkill artificial watermelon flavor like candy. (1,218 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

The beer pours a hazy light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is mainly wheat but I also get a nice bit of light watermelon. The flavor is wheat, juicy watermelon and a light bit of tartness. Light to medium mouthfeel and medium mouthfeel. A nicely done fruit beer that doesn't taste artificial or overpower you with sweetness. (335 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

A: A very pale yellow appearance. This is beer is very clear with plenty of effervescence. There is a big, white, fluffy head (due to an aggressive pour) that quickly fades down to about an eight of an inch and leaves some decent lacing throughout the glass, though that disappears in a couple of minutes.

S: The aromas are simple with scents of watermelon jolly ranchers with a little bit of wheat.

T: This beer is refreshing and tasty. I just mowed the lawn, and this is a good beer to pair with summer yard work. The watermelon taste is very present, which I like. I get a bit frustrated when I get a fruit beer and the fruit is so subtle it's hardly detectable. This beer is exactly what it says on the can, and I can respect that. That being said, I'm just not sure that I dig watermelons in my beer.

M: The feel is a bit thin, and has a slight burn in the back (possibly from the fruit?). I would prefer a little more wheat malt backbone and a slightly thicker feel, though I realize this is a low abv summer beer.

D: A good summer beer. One is plenty for me, as I would grow tired of any watermelon beer fairly quickly. Give it a try. (1,145 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -15.6%

01/29/09- Purchased at Ledger's in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 12oz can, with what might be a possible canning code on the side of the can. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Yeasty and lightly clouded medium golden colored pour. Brilliant white creamy 3/4 inch head and slight lace trails left behind.

Smell- Don't really smell watermelon, just some random light candied sugar scent. A bit of grain as well.

Taste- OK, I taste the watermelon, but it's not like fresh or real watermelon. Kinda like a jolly rancher flavor except not that sugary. Maybe like a flavored seltzer water taste? Quite a heavy yeast strain and mild grain flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, kinda chalky.

Drinkability- Had to finally try it because of the novelty factor. Anyway, no need to try it again. Many better tasting beers of this type out there...maybe not watermelon, but fruit overall. (891 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

A - copper with a reddish tinge; thick, white head; good retention

S - grains, wheat, grass, faint watermelon

T - light watermelon, grains, wheat, grass

M - light bodied, smooth, little carbonation

This is a light, easy drinking beer. It's not very sweet and the watermelon doesn't really shine through. It's drinkability though makes it a refreshing summer beer. (367 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +26.9%

CAN I give a shout-out to my man Shaun right now? I looove craft beer in a CAN and he is my hookup!

Before we begin today's review, let me tell you a bit more about truth in advertising - I chastised Miller Lite for their sneaky "TM" B/S business yesterday and today, credit must be given where credit is due. The very top of the can, just below the rim, read "Yeast Inside - Agitate Before Opening". I love to agitate yeast, so I told it that it was dead, its mom was as stinky as Brett, it couldn't ferment its way out of a paper bag, and on and on. Finally, after it refused to rise to the bait, I gently inverted the can, reverted it to an upright position, and repeated the process until it was, indeed, agitated.

Onward!

I got a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that simply dropped into wisps. Oh well. The color was a supremely hazy (no duh! see above) lemony yellow. The nose was definitely wheat beer and I can say that, having attended the SPTR Wheaties Fest last Saturday. It had a light scent of being out in a field at the height of growing season as the breeze blows on a warm day, underlain by a light black pepper spiciness. No watermelon on the nose, though. Mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a light, wheat flavor on the palate. Where was the watermelon? On the finish! Ho, this suddenly put me in mind of a watermelon-eating contest at the Henderson's farm on a 4th of July of my youth! Suddenly, watermelon was prevalent. Should I sprinkle some salt on the top of my next one? Yoi!

Drinkability: Well, in the heat of summer with the clothes on the line to conserve energy, perfect! In the dead of winter, coming home from a long day with the freshmen, no so much. Plus, it probably helps if you like watermelon. (1,739 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: flat looking yellowish orange color with some spots of foam on the surface.

Smell: light watermelon aroma is all that is detectable.

Taste: very mild wheat profile with soft watermelon tones and little to no bitterness. Pretty one dimensional in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body. Mildly crisp throughout and a brief watermelon aftertaste leaves the mouth quickly.

Drinkability: this one did not do it at all for me as I had a hard time finishing the glass. Some props go out for a fruit beer in a can. (523 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

On Tap at Old Eagle Tavern in a pint glass. I've been avoiding this beer for quite some time.

Hell or High looks pretty in the glass with a light bronze color with some gold trimmings. All together the beer is very still and dead looking with the head dying by the time it got to me, no lace on this one. Looks more like a pale ale than a fruit beer.

The smell is very grainy with some some wheat in the background. Only getting trace sniffs of watermelon with a whole lot of grass. This one is earthy in every sense of the word and not on the sweet smelling side.

And by god, this stuff is very putrid. It' s not the most offensive beer in the world, or perhaps this is an old keg, but this tastes like bad homebrew. Old faded hops give way to a big grassy smack in the palate, like an old IPA. The watermelon is light and not artificial tasting which is a good thing. Pale malt with lemon grass. I don't know what else to say.

Feel is on the less than medium side with a sharp carb hit despite the beer looking dead. The alcohol is not tasted, yet the aftertaste of old grass is off putting. I thinks this may be a old keg, no way 21st would put out a brew in such large quanity with it being a dud, or would they.

This is a very popular beer with new to craft drinkers. My brother swears by it and he is a BMC guy, so I guess there is some appeal to the non beer geek to seek this out with the watermelon addition. I need to try this from a can, but my draft score will remain. (1,485 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -26.3%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. It poured a pale golden color with a thin head that disappeared pretty quickly.

The watermelon is immediately noticeable in it along with some citrus and wheat malts. I also unfortunately get an unpleasant metallic flavor to it.

The taste also shows a lot of the watermelon flavor along with some rind and vegetable like qualities. A little wheat and citrus are there but the watermelon is overwhelming and just not that good.

The mouthfeel is thin with moderate carbonation. Overall, I just didn't care for it. The watermelon was too dominating and just not that great. It seemed to have more of a bitter rind, vegetable like quality to it that I didn't care for. A little metallic as well. Not something I'd want to try again. (768 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +9.8%

12 ounce can..."Yeast inside-agitate before opening" nice to see towards the top of the can. Pours cloucy lemony and still, w/o bubbles rising to the top. Quickly departing head and leaves no lace. I believe I do get a slight wiff of watermelon rind on the nose. Light and fruity, some might say watery even...Perhaps a hint of watermelon on the tongue...Lawn mower/very hot day beer... (386 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz. can,

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a medium white head, good retention, no lacing, looks a lot like a witibier.

S: Lots of watermelon, smells a little on the artificial side, but not to bad, it's a nice smell.

T: Big bite of watermelon and sour candy bite at first. Flavour turns wheatier and away from the fruit flavour to finish, dry cereal.

M: Definitely on the acidic side, about the same pH I'd reckon as orange juice, very crisp and refreshing, has a soda quality about it.

D: Not bad at all, a great summer beer, the idea of mixing watermelon with a wheat beer base certainly works here. (612 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from the can into a wheat ale glass.

A real nice decent looker on the pour. Big perfectly pinhead forming head, bleach white, four fingers tall with soapy retention and falling slowly. Body color is a very pale yellow and orb glowing with a classic opaque unfiltered appearance. Nice simple rising carbonation, very solid looking brew.

Faint wet watermellon on the nose, but some off smelling character to match. Not much wheat malt sense or chewyness. Off smelling character is semi vegetative but more of a bitter bile sense which isn't very pleasant.

Palate is very thin. Watery body, with hardly any wheat malt density. Crazy and weird odd finish, with some malt sweetness but a real off pleasant rind fruit bitterness to match. Wet body has some watermellon taste and sweetness, but is quickly overshadowed by a lackluster mouthfeel. The aftertaste leave and unbelievably bitter melon quality which just doesn't go away.

Overall not really diggin this, just all around a not pleasant experience. (1,011 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On-tap at the brew-pub of 21st Amendment complete with a water-melon wedge on the rim of the glass (4.9% ABV).

Hazy gold body with a thin excuse for a head on top.

Not a lot going on in the nose or taste really: some watery wheatness just about detectable and I suppose some water melon hints as well.

OK, but not my sort of beer. Refreshing but not a winter beer in my eyes, which is when I had it. (402 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -15.6%

CAN you believe that I haven't tasted anything from 21st Amendment? Now I have. Hooray I guess. From a 12 ounce can split with my friend Ricardo, on to the beer:

Somewhat of a pale orange in color with little in the head or retention department. I expected some watermelon in the nose, but didn't get any. All I got was a little what malt and nothing else. Weak.

Its taste finally brings some of that watermelon to the table. Well, the first part screams boring American wheat beer, then the watermelon comes in and rescures the beer from certain boringness. Light and prickly in the mouth.

If it weren't for the watermelon, this beer would be as exciting as bathwater. (672 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery