1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,471 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
WVbeergeek

3.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Can label reads agitate before opening, what's wrong with waiting to agitate while the beer is in the last couple inches of the bottom. I just had the draft Live Free or Die IPA at Mad Mex so instead of the canned IPA I opted for a six of this and a four pack of the Monk's Blood since I've never seen or heard of that one. This one pours a clouded lemonade esque golden sunshine hue with bright white head forming and dissipating quickly. Minimal speckled lacing is left on the sides of my glass. Aromatics offer up a tame laid back sweetness from the sharp citrus wheat back bone. Fruity watermelon layers with pretty much absent hop additions. I like the low alcohol fruit vibe kick every now and again. A chalky yeast and minimal floral note wrapped within the watermelon puree, this stuff smells inviting and not candy sweet which is definitely a good thing. Flavor is light with juicy edges almost like bubblegum edges to it, but the watermelon puree acts as a refresher in this mix. Some hard mineral water action with a yeast wheat infused malt backbone, really straight forward flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky but not syrupy in anyway smooth ample carbonation levels, it's nice to see this available in the Burgh at Giant Eagle Marketplace. Drinkability was easy going a refreshing summer time beer that I'm sure will go over with the ladies out there. For me it was worth the experience but this isn't something that is going to replace the session IPA or pale ale anytime soon.

02-20-2010 21:24:38 | More by WVbeergeek
Gavage

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: flat looking yellowish orange color with some spots of foam on the surface.

Smell: light watermelon aroma is all that is detectable.

Taste: very mild wheat profile with soft watermelon tones and little to no bitterness. Pretty one dimensional in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body. Mildly crisp throughout and a brief watermelon aftertaste leaves the mouth quickly.

Drinkability: this one did not do it at all for me as I had a hard time finishing the glass. Some props go out for a fruit beer in a can.

11-03-2009 13:17:44 | More by Gavage
smcolw

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

Slightly hazy with a dark straw color. Moderate head that dies off quickly; leaves no lasting lace.

Sour and wheaty to the nose. A touch of sweetness but no watermelon that I can discern.

Definite watermelon in the taste, but not as the dominant flavor. Good wheat base. Light sweetness on the tongue, but this is completely gone in the swallow. Very short aftertaste and very dry. Good body with a solid level of carbonation.

06-07-2009 01:35:07 | More by smcolw
Halcyondays

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

12 oz. can,

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a medium white head, good retention, no lacing, looks a lot like a witibier.

S: Lots of watermelon, smells a little on the artificial side, but not to bad, it's a nice smell.

T: Big bite of watermelon and sour candy bite at first. Flavour turns wheatier and away from the fruit flavour to finish, dry cereal.

M: Definitely on the acidic side, about the same pH I'd reckon as orange juice, very crisp and refreshing, has a soda quality about it.

D: Not bad at all, a great summer beer, the idea of mixing watermelon with a wheat beer base certainly works here.

08-07-2008 02:55:28 | More by Halcyondays
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.1/5  rDev +26.5%

A: Poured a cloudy light gold color with a nice white head.

S: Nose is light wheat and faint watermelon.

T: Taste is a good balance but thin as well. Wheat up front but I tasted the watermelon from beginning to end

M: Mouthfeel was nice, light and crisp.

D: I could drink these all day long!

06-21-2010 03:54:49 | More by barleywinefiend
tempest

2.85/5  rDev -12%

Picked up a single at Princeton Liquors. This is my second watermelon beer, but isn't as good as that Roy Pitz I had. While generally clean and interesting, the flavor isn't terribly pleasant - coming off like triscuits and cucumber salad. Sure, it kinda tastes like watermelon, but it's like the rind and seeds got ground up in added into the juice. No fun.

01-08-2010 22:55:09 | More by tempest
mdfb79

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a pale golden-yellow color with 2-3 inches of white head and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of wheat, grain, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Tastes of wheat, fruit, and sweet malts. Hints of watermelon, not not that much

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbontion. Crisp and easy to drink.

d - A very easy to drink beer but nothing crazy. If you like wheat/bread and hints of watermellon you might enjoy this one more. Probably wouldn't have again.

06-15-2010 23:30:34 | More by mdfb79
Rifugium

3.63/5  rDev +12%

First had: can from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Interesting idea, and I've seen it around enough to the point where I had to pick up a can.

Poured clear golden into a tumbler. Big white foamy head that dissipated after a few minutes to just a thin layer. Aroma (first impression) was stale and unimpressive, and I started having doubts that I picked up a bad beer. Then I took a sip. Watermelon!!! Very distinct, very fruity, but not overbearing or sickeningly sweet, and truly watermelon. Very light and smooth, no acidic harshness that often pervades wheat beers. Light body, easily drinkable. Great summertime beer. I want more.

05-04-2011 19:44:49 | More by Rifugium
Billolick

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

12 ounce can..."Yeast inside-agitate before opening" nice to see towards the top of the can. Pours cloucy lemony and still, w/o bubbles rising to the top. Quickly departing head and leaves no lace. I believe I do get a slight wiff of watermelon rind on the nose. Light and fruity, some might say watery even...Perhaps a hint of watermelon on the tongue...Lawn mower/very hot day beer...

07-10-2009 00:42:42 | More by Billolick
rhoadsrage

4.1/5  rDev +26.5%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a hazy dark yellow body with a nice off-white head of soft peaks that quickly turns bubble and is gone before the second sip. A strong carbonation of big bubbles keeps racing through the beer.

S- The aroma of pale malt has a white bread crust aroma that has hints of caramel malt coming through softly as it warms and a green pine hint followed by a faint watermelon note.

T- The taste of white wheat bread has some caramel hints that lead to a pleasant watermelon taste that is not sweet and not artificial. The watermelon blends into a soft hop note that finishes the beer nicely.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a fizzy finish that really cleans out the taste.

D- This beer really works. As it warms the watermelon becomes softer and the caramel malt hints and wheat bread flavors grow. This is a very easy beer to drink and I could have several in a session.

04-16-2009 13:37:39 | More by rhoadsrage
Zorro

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

An elusive beer just arrived locally.

Cloudy amber colored beer with a tall white head.

Smell is wheat and citrus with a faint vegetable funk that smells more like pumpkin than anything else.

Taste starts out neutral with a fairly strong watermelon caramel flavor. Something like a wheat beer in a glass that got some Midori dropped in it. Tastes sort of like old candy.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Blech! IPA Please! NOT the tastiest beer this brewer makes. Worth a shot to taste the hype.

09-03-2008 04:23:53 | More by Zorro
Wasatch

Utah

3.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks goes out to BrewerB for this brew.

Pours a nice hazy yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger foamy white head, which dissappears quickly, leaving some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, grassy, very slight watermelon notes. The taste is better with watermelon, malty, slightly grassy. Medium body. Drinkable, tasty brew.

02-12-2009 01:21:54 | More by Wasatch
ppoitras

3.4/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can purchased as a 6-pack from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into a Sam Adams glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head over the cloudy blonde brew. Head falls promptly, with average lacing. Aroma is earthy and lightly citric, no watermelon I can sense. Taste starts tart and lightly sweet, finally find some watermelon in the middle, and then get back to a wheat close. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, and drinkability is better than average as well. Not sure the wheat and watermelon work that great together, but maybe as a thirst-quencher. We'll see what happens...

06-05-2009 20:51:41 | More by ppoitras
woodychandler

4.18/5  rDev +29%

CAN I give a shout-out to my man Shaun right now? I looove craft beer in a CAN and he is my hookup!

Before we begin today's review, let me tell you a bit more about truth in advertising - I chastised Miller Lite for their sneaky "TM" B/S business yesterday and today, credit must be given where credit is due. The very top of the can, just below the rim, read "Yeast Inside - Agitate Before Opening". I love to agitate yeast, so I told it that it was dead, its mom was as stinky as Brett, it couldn't ferment its way out of a paper bag, and on and on. Finally, after it refused to rise to the bait, I gently inverted the can, reverted it to an upright position, and repeated the process until it was, indeed, agitated.

Onward!

I got a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that simply dropped into wisps. Oh well. The color was a supremely hazy (no duh! see above) lemony yellow. The nose was definitely wheat beer and I can say that, having attended the SPTR Wheaties Fest last Saturday. It had a light scent of being out in a field at the height of growing season as the breeze blows on a warm day, underlain by a light black pepper spiciness. No watermelon on the nose, though. Mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a light, wheat flavor on the palate. Where was the watermelon? On the finish! Ho, this suddenly put me in mind of a watermelon-eating contest at the Henderson's farm on a 4th of July of my youth! Suddenly, watermelon was prevalent. Should I sprinkle some salt on the top of my next one? Yoi!

Drinkability: Well, in the heat of summer with the clothes on the line to conserve energy, perfect! In the dead of winter, coming home from a long day with the freshmen, no so much. Plus, it probably helps if you like watermelon.

07-01-2009 19:54:02 | More by woodychandler
stakem

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a can into a SA perfect pint glass. It appears a cloudy yellow color with less than a finger of white head that fizzles away fairly fast. Absolutely no lacing to be found on the glass. Aroma of this beer opened up initially with almost a fake overkill watermelon smell that quickly subsided and took a back seat to the other scents of wheat, slight note of citrus, more watermelon (quite faint and only because im searching for it due to the nature of this particular brew) and a touch of sulfur. Hops present themselves with a slight bit of grassy character. Taste has an immediately evident flavor of watermelon that turns a bit ackward in flavor almost like you were eating a watermelon and started chewing the white part too close to the rind... Also included in the flavor is a bit of the sulfur that was evident in the aroma and an aftertaste that is some strange mix of watermelon rind and grass. Light feel with this beer and a high amount of carbonation.

I gotta tip my hat to the brewers for being creative with this one but I won't drink it again. It is to be commended that the watermelon flavor that was included seemed quite natural and not overkill artificial watermelon flavor like candy.

05-12-2010 00:08:41 | More by stakem
DoubleJ

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

CAN you believe that I haven't tasted anything from 21st Amendment? Now I have. Hooray I guess. From a 12 ounce can split with my friend Ricardo, on to the beer:

Somewhat of a pale orange in color with little in the head or retention department. I expected some watermelon in the nose, but didn't get any. All I got was a little what malt and nothing else. Weak.

Its taste finally brings some of that watermelon to the table. Well, the first part screams boring American wheat beer, then the watermelon comes in and rescures the beer from certain boringness. Light and prickly in the mouth.

If it weren't for the watermelon, this beer would be as exciting as bathwater.

09-22-2011 05:33:08 | More by DoubleJ
Kegatron

3.4/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can into a pint glass. Special thanks go to thequeue for this back in the Secret Santa '08 BIF.

Pours a clear gold with several fingers of rigid brite-white head. Retains with a thin layer of foam that skims the surface, leaving spotty lacing back that sticks. The aroma is light bread and floral tones with a definite fruity sweetness to it but I'm not readily picking it out as watermelon though.

The taste is pale malts balanced my some light hop activity. Watermelon is much more evident in the taste. The taste isn't overdone but does come off as a bit artificial. The mouthfeel, as you would expect, is light bodied with a soft carbonation and all around easy feel.

There was anything actively bad about this but IMO, watermelon just doesn't cut it as a fruit in my beer. It always comes out tasting like someone threw a watermelon Jolly Rancher into a light-bodied Pale Ale. Just not my cup-of-tea.

03-12-2009 16:35:40 | More by Kegatron
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +25%

21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat actually bears the colour of a golden delicious apple. It has lightly bleached yellow skin and a thin film that imparts a slightly waxy complexion. It is absolutely jammed full with tirelessly energetic bubbles. Although its head appears unsound, it manages to leave a shotgun spray of lace.

The aroma tips you off about this being one juicy flavoured beer. It smells - as one might expect - a little like watermelon and also carries just a hint of bubble gum. It seems like this should be just as (if not, more so) tart than sweet, which is a bit of reassurance. The extra dimension gives me the impression this will be one interesting wheat beer.

I've sampled the beer a few times before tonight but I never remember it tasting *this* much like watermelon! Just imagine biting into a big, fresh, juicy slice of watermelon. What I especially like is that it doesn't have a sugary, sweet synthetic flavouring. Nope, it really does have the authentic, convincing, bona fide taste of watermelon. Yum!

And it's a very good thing too because I can't imagine a light beer flavoured with candy fruit syrup being all that drinkable, except maybe to those in the wine-spritzer/alcopop cooler crowd. Whether it's authenticity, balance or that lovely tart note at the conclusion of each sip, using 400 lbs. of actual watermelon in each batch really pays its dividends.

I remember spending an entire day walking through Rome in the blistering hot Italian August heat. We were tired, sweaty, and dehydrated. When we came upon the sight of a street vendor selling watermelon slices we thought it was a desert mirage. Those slices were heavenly. I don't think anything in that circumstance could have been more refreshing...

So in combining the memory of that particular watermelon - so juicy, so refreshing - with my love of a nice American wheat beer Shaun O'Sullivan has created something that for me has unimaginable drinking potential. I really liked this beer and consider it gimmicky if you want but I maintain it would be a godsend on any hot summer day.

12-31-2008 02:30:13 | More by biegaman
weeare138

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Much thanks to TomDecapolis for supplying this brew that I've been waiting months to try...
Appears a hazy pale gold with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar.
Smell is of watermelon jolly ranchers, & obvious watermelon water ice jumping out without anything else more that stands out. It may sound appealing from a distance but it's really one dimensional.
The taste is of light sugar, bubblegum, and watermelon rind. I really don't know what else to say about it. It's not really bland...it's just uncomplex.
Mouthfeel is fizzy, light, yet very interesting.
I give 21st Amendment props for making this beer. It sounds like something that I would try for one of my homebrews. I'm sure they did a much better job than what I would've attempted.

01-08-2007 03:39:08 | More by weeare138
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

06-15-2011 13:58:05 | More by johnmichaelsen
plaid75

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured a hazy medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was little retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light wheat malt and a bitter green watermelon rind.

The taste consisted of an upfront bitter watermelon rind and a mild wheat spice.

The mouthfeel was light and dry.

Overall a decent summer wheat ale. Not what I was expecting out of a watermelon beer.

06-24-2009 21:14:53 | More by plaid75
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Greg Cock for the sample.

Pours a lightly hazed golden amber, thick white head forms, thick ring around the glass, some decent lacing sticking around, good retention, looks nice. Smell is neat, very fruity, honey sweetness, watermelon seeds, orange peel, kind of biscuity and toasty, nice and refreshing aroma. Taste is pretty watermelon seedy, biscuity and toasty, wheat, lemon tartness, honey, very fresh fruitiness, some melons, pretty good. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, very refreshing if a little bland, but would be great in the summer.

01-31-2009 18:46:32 | More by Viggo
Bighuge

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

Hazed sun yellow boddy. Thin fluffy white head. Sporadic lace coats the glass in patches as I drink. Aroma is sweet, bright and melony. Interesting flavor, though it's not my thing. This is the first watermelon beer I've tried and may be the last. I don't get any real specific watermelon flavor other than a juicy sweetness. The wheat base is very average. Nothing really stands out here. Could drink some of these in summer if nothing else was available.

11-22-2009 03:00:15 | More by Bighuge
beerthulhu

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a lemon-gold with a bright white fluffy 1 finger head that settled to a polished surface rather quickly with no lacing. A light display of effervesce, with an overall appearance of decent.

S: fruity with fresh watermelon and raspberries. Surprised here, was expecting an overkill of artificial flavoring but was rater quite subdued with a freshness of real watermelon. There is a bit of sugary orange juice (sunny d) as well as noticeable soft fresh wheat coming through. The scent was rather light to medium in strength and disappointing at first, but soon came to appreciate its subtleness and fresh fruity unique nature the more I explored it.

T: The flavor delivered some sunny d orange juice notes as well dominant watermelon flavors that quenched the tongue. Once again was expecting an overkill of artificial watermelon and fruit bomb similar to a wine cooler but the overall flavor came off very subdued and fresh against a pale wheat backing. Crisp, refreshing and fruity with just enough watermelon presence to make you appreciate it without becoming overbearing like many other fruit beers. The finish find a soft tartness of light orange juice along as a soft floral hopping. Overall was quite impressed on how this was pulled off, not an easy thing to do. The wheat malting takes a back seat to the fruity watermelon nature but still contributes more then the average fruit beer.

M: a medium viscosity, smooth with just a tingle of carbonation detected. Sadly it was just ok though in comparison to the rest of the drink coming of just average.

D: Would give this a decent drinkability factor rating here. Soft fruity nature with a decent crispness lends its way to a decent summer picnic quencher. The balance lets just enough of the wheat malting come through while the fruity watermelon taste comes through but never overstays its welcome. Good for several at a time like I said as a summer picnic quencher or tweener beer to beat the heat and something unique with a twist flavorwise.

07-23-2009 22:52:17 | More by beerthulhu
Stinkypuss

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Ive been wanting to try this one for a while, found it on tap.

Appearance: Bright gold in color with a soapy head and some lace.

Smell: Bready/Biscuity malt and just a faint whiff of fruit, not quite sure if it is watermelon.

Taste: Standard wheat beer notes coupled with a light sour tang of watermelon. With the amount of watermelon juice used, it adds only a subtlety to the beer. Almost like dropping a watermelon jolly rancher into a light beer. Still interesting and certainly an achievement of what they were going for.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: The watermelon flavor was there the whole time, and was very intriguing. I wouldn't want more than one though, good for a novelty but average drinkability.

07-13-2010 18:38:32 | More by Stinkypuss