Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Mildly hazy golden yellow. Not much carbonation at all.

Smell: Light beer aromas and watermelon, though it doesn't seem like syrupy extract, and it probably is.

Taste: Domestic macro grain flavors with a bit of watermelon. Not much else.

Mouthfeel: Lighter-bodied, watery, with mild a carbonation burst near the tail end.

Drinkability: I bought a six-pack for my wife, who's a watermelon fiend, and even though she told me I couldn't have one, I'm having one now. I don't think I'll have another one. I imagine, however, that some folks would dig it, under the right circumstances.

2.98/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a wheat glass.

The color is a hazy orange/yellow with a foamy off-white and no lacing.

The smell is a a bit wheaty with a slight melon flavor and some hints vegetable.

The taste is more cucumber than watermelon. There is a vague sweet juicy flavor but watermelon was not the first thing I thought of, or the second. The is a melon flavor that is slightly there in the backend but is a little lost in the biscuit flavor that hangs around among it.

The feel of this beer is refreshing and has a nice crisp feel to it like a larger. Goes down easy and is pretty drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +32.2%

I'm not a big fan of watermelon at all, but I absolutely enjoyed and loved this beer.
Pours a light, cloudy gold in color. Nice inch of frothy head forms on the pour. Smell is nice, juicy watermelon as well as some wheat. Taste is very nice. Very refreshing and welcome on a hot, humid, memorial day. The watermelon flavor never gets old or cloying. Surprising on how well it worked in the beer and how with myself not even being a watermelon fan, thoroughly loved this beer. I could drink nothing but this on a hot summer day. Very good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

3.85/5  rDev +17%

Pour - well, its not pink. Its a tannish-golden color with some suspended (and not so suspended) yeast sediment. Head is a rather thin and this is all a bit cloudy.

Aroma - what I smell most is a sour malt aroma along with some sweetness that sort of reminds me of watermelon as well as honey and powdered sugar. So, not a lot of watermelon-y stuff going on in either the pour or the aroma. Let's move on...

Taste - when I really get my face in the glass and take the first sip I finally get some watermelon flavor and aroma. Its faint and it won't overwhelm you even if you hate watermelon. Its a slightly sour fruity flavor that isn't at all off-putting and it actually kind of works well, in a refreshing sort of way. Nice wheat beer with just enough watermelon flavor to give this a very subtle sour bit.

Overall - The more I drink of this, the more I am enjoying it. I'll admit, its a lot better than I thought. The watermelon flavor is subtle and like I previously mentioned, this is very refreshing. If you are like me and figure you'd probably not like this beer you might be surprised. Pop open a can and remember to be open-minded.

Would I buy more of it? - I wouldn't totally dismiss this beer as it is exactly what it is supposed to be. However, its not a beer that I'd find myself drinking a lot of the time. It does sort of scream to be bought the night before a day of yard work.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

thanks to mkgrenwel for this can. i think i got it because he really disliked it.

hazy golden pour which keeps a creamy circle floating above. retention is minimal, like a belgian with no sticky power.

i can certainly get hints of fresh watermelon juice in the nose, but they're just that.. hints. predominant in the aroma is the graininess of an american wheat beer.. the fruitiness compliments the natural sour tinge of the wheat and accents it with summer sweetness.

easy drinking, weird tasting. first off, the beer is rather buttery. shows the watermelon quickly yet thoroughly and fades into a banana-laced almond paste flavor with earthy grains. i wish the watermelon is what's allowed to linger on my palate.. after all, the only reason i got excited about trying this is because i like watermelon.

great concept, love the can. what a snoozer though. i have no problem finishing my glass.. but i won't bend over backwards to procure any more brews. thought the watermelon funk at BBF was phenomenal- that's what needs to be done to this beer to enhance its fruitiness.

3.26/5  rDev -0.9%

Just received this brew in a recent trade with tpd975. This will be my first brew from 21st Amendment brewery and I look forward to it. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a hazy straw colored yellow with a nice creamy one finger head that slowly dissipates leaving a spotty cap and thin collar with a small amount of lacing.
Smell- A very very slight tinge of watermelon is definitely detectable but it's not the first thing you smell. Slightly lemony with a spicy tart twang below the breadiness of the wheat is detected. Definitely doesn't deliver the big watermelon punch I was hoping for.
Taste- Well it certainly does taste a bit like watermelon which is nice, but it leaves quickly. Like the smell there is a quenching tartness of watermelon from the start before a lightly astringent wheat kicks in. Doughy and raw the base wheat beer component is average at best. A citric kick finishes with a weird lingering dryness.
Mouthfeel- Fairly thin and watery with not a whole lot of carbonation and a very dry, quenching finish.
Drinkability- Overall I'm fairly impressed about how much they do get the watermelon to come through. It's a fairly subtle fruit and I can only imagine how many hundreds of pounds they have to use per batch. My problem with this beer is the astringent twang that seems to have nothing to do with the watermelon. I think it's just the base wheat beer they use. Either way, definitely worth a try. Big thanks again to Greg!!

4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

3.27/5  rDev -0.6%

Can into Sam Adams lager glass.

Pours pale straw, just a bit hazy, with a thin, soapy white head that settles down into a bit of a sad soapy layer afterwards.

Nose is pretty nice actually - lightly sweet watermelon that's pretty subtle and a bit of grainy wheat.

Taste isn't really my bag. Watermelon is there, and it isn't overbearing, but it doesn't really mesh with the rest of the beer that well, which is basically an American pale wheat. There's a point at the beginning where you really get that odd "fleshiness" from the watermelon, and it doesn't taste like it belongs in a beer at all. This gets better as it warms a bit, but doesn't entirely go away. Light grainy cereal and wheat notes, and not much else going on. Finish carries a bit more watermelon, and it's actually good - juicy and lightly sweet. But it's not a good thing when the aftertaste of a beer is significantly better than the taste.

Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied, crisp carbonation, a bit dry.

Drinkability is all dependent on how well you like the watermelon aspect. As for me, I found it pretty wearing. YMMV.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery