Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
woodychandler

4.18/5  rDev +27.1%

CAN I give a shout-out to my man Shaun right now? I looove craft beer in a CAN and he is my hookup!

Before we begin today's review, let me tell you a bit more about truth in advertising - I chastised Miller Lite for their sneaky "TM" B/S business yesterday and today, credit must be given where credit is due. The very top of the can, just below the rim, read "Yeast Inside - Agitate Before Opening". I love to agitate yeast, so I told it that it was dead, its mom was as stinky as Brett, it couldn't ferment its way out of a paper bag, and on and on. Finally, after it refused to rise to the bait, I gently inverted the can, reverted it to an upright position, and repeated the process until it was, indeed, agitated.

Onward!

I got a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that simply dropped into wisps. Oh well. The color was a supremely hazy (no duh! see above) lemony yellow. The nose was definitely wheat beer and I can say that, having attended the SPTR Wheaties Fest last Saturday. It had a light scent of being out in a field at the height of growing season as the breeze blows on a warm day, underlain by a light black pepper spiciness. No watermelon on the nose, though. Mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a light, wheat flavor on the palate. Where was the watermelon? On the finish! Ho, this suddenly put me in mind of a watermelon-eating contest at the Henderson's farm on a 4th of July of my youth! Suddenly, watermelon was prevalent. Should I sprinkle some salt on the top of my next one? Yoi!

Drinkability: Well, in the heat of summer with the clothes on the line to conserve energy, perfect! In the dead of winter, coming home from a long day with the freshmen, no so much. Plus, it probably helps if you like watermelon.

07-01-2009 19:54:02 | More by woodychandler
tempest

2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

Picked up a single at Princeton Liquors. This is my second watermelon beer, but isn't as good as that Roy Pitz I had. While generally clean and interesting, the flavor isn't terribly pleasant - coming off like triscuits and cucumber salad. Sure, it kinda tastes like watermelon, but it's like the rind and seeds got ground up in added into the juice. No fun.

01-08-2010 22:55:09 | More by tempest
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

A: Poured a cloudy light gold color with a nice white head.

S: Nose is light wheat and faint watermelon.

T: Taste is a good balance but thin as well. Wheat up front but I tasted the watermelon from beginning to end

M: Mouthfeel was nice, light and crisp.

D: I could drink these all day long!

06-21-2010 03:54:49 | More by barleywinefiend
orangesol

03-07-2013 20:13:57 | More by orangesol
Billolick

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ounce can..."Yeast inside-agitate before opening" nice to see towards the top of the can. Pours cloucy lemony and still, w/o bubbles rising to the top. Quickly departing head and leaves no lace. I believe I do get a slight wiff of watermelon rind on the nose. Light and fruity, some might say watery even...Perhaps a hint of watermelon on the tongue...Lawn mower/very hot day beer...

07-10-2009 00:42:42 | More by Billolick
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Had this on-tap at the Rogue Public House in San Francisco. Pours a very hazy golden with a thin, white, swirly cap of a head. Smells vaguely sour with wheat and watermelon rind, a touch of lemon, and a tiny bit of sweetness. The taste is similar, with more white rind flavor than red juiciness, but as opposed to the aroma, there is at least some sweet, juicy watermelon here which adds something to the more sour and herbal rind and lemon flavors. Crisp, refreshing, and worth trying. A fairly interesting beer.

08-24-2009 01:58:32 | More by Georgiabeer
stakem

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a can into a SA perfect pint glass. It appears a cloudy yellow color with less than a finger of white head that fizzles away fairly fast. Absolutely no lacing to be found on the glass. Aroma of this beer opened up initially with almost a fake overkill watermelon smell that quickly subsided and took a back seat to the other scents of wheat, slight note of citrus, more watermelon (quite faint and only because im searching for it due to the nature of this particular brew) and a touch of sulfur. Hops present themselves with a slight bit of grassy character. Taste has an immediately evident flavor of watermelon that turns a bit ackward in flavor almost like you were eating a watermelon and started chewing the white part too close to the rind... Also included in the flavor is a bit of the sulfur that was evident in the aroma and an aftertaste that is some strange mix of watermelon rind and grass. Light feel with this beer and a high amount of carbonation.

I gotta tip my hat to the brewers for being creative with this one but I won't drink it again. It is to be commended that the watermelon flavor that was included seemed quite natural and not overkill artificial watermelon flavor like candy.

05-12-2010 00:08:41 | More by stakem
dbrauneis

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Served in a can at Cork City in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a lightly hazy pale straw yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a thin fizzy off-white head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass.

S: The aroma of this beer is mild but you can definitely detect the smell of watermelon and wheat.

T: The watermelon flavor stands out more in the taste than the smell but there is also a decent wheat body. I like the fact that the watermelon flavor is not artificial or overly sweet.

M: Light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: Certainly the best watermelon beer that I have tried as it is not overly sweet and does not taste like a Jolly Rancher. The beer is easy to drink and refreshing but I'm not sure it would be a sessionable beer for me (just not a flavor profile that I loved). Would be good on a real hop summer day.

06-17-2012 01:40:14 | More by dbrauneis
rhoadsrage

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a hazy dark yellow body with a nice off-white head of soft peaks that quickly turns bubble and is gone before the second sip. A strong carbonation of big bubbles keeps racing through the beer.

S- The aroma of pale malt has a white bread crust aroma that has hints of caramel malt coming through softly as it warms and a green pine hint followed by a faint watermelon note.

T- The taste of white wheat bread has some caramel hints that lead to a pleasant watermelon taste that is not sweet and not artificial. The watermelon blends into a soft hop note that finishes the beer nicely.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a fizzy finish that really cleans out the taste.

D- This beer really works. As it warms the watermelon becomes softer and the caramel malt hints and wheat bread flavors grow. This is a very easy beer to drink and I could have several in a session.

04-16-2009 13:37:39 | More by rhoadsrage
drewone

08-19-2014 00:03:48 | More by drewone
Zorro

2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

An elusive beer just arrived locally.

Cloudy amber colored beer with a tall white head.

Smell is wheat and citrus with a faint vegetable funk that smells more like pumpkin than anything else.

Taste starts out neutral with a fairly strong watermelon caramel flavor. Something like a wheat beer in a glass that got some Midori dropped in it. Tastes sort of like old candy.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Blech! IPA Please! NOT the tastiest beer this brewer makes. Worth a shot to taste the hype.

09-03-2008 04:23:53 | More by Zorro
DoubleJ

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

CAN you believe that I haven't tasted anything from 21st Amendment? Now I have. Hooray I guess. From a 12 ounce can split with my friend Ricardo, on to the beer:

Somewhat of a pale orange in color with little in the head or retention department. I expected some watermelon in the nose, but didn't get any. All I got was a little what malt and nothing else. Weak.

Its taste finally brings some of that watermelon to the table. Well, the first part screams boring American wheat beer, then the watermelon comes in and rescures the beer from certain boringness. Light and prickly in the mouth.

If it weren't for the watermelon, this beer would be as exciting as bathwater.

09-22-2011 05:33:08 | More by DoubleJ
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours ½ finger of white head. Little retention. Color is a light hazed golden yellow.

Aroma: Watermelon and wheat. Lemon zest and spice. Earthy.

Taste: Watermelon and cantaloupe. Spices and zest flavors. Wheat. Lemons. Earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Refreshing. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of dry.

Overall, this is a refreshing summer beer, but not crazy. Not very much to say about this one.

05-19-2011 20:47:13 | More by mothman
Wasatch

Utah

3.38/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks goes out to BrewerB for this brew.

Pours a nice hazy yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger foamy white head, which dissappears quickly, leaving some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, grassy, very slight watermelon notes. The taste is better with watermelon, malty, slightly grassy. Medium body. Drinkable, tasty brew.

02-12-2009 01:21:54 | More by Wasatch
BARFLYB

2.73/5  rDev -17%

On Tap at Old Eagle Tavern in a pint glass. I've been avoiding this beer for quite some time.

Hell or High looks pretty in the glass with a light bronze color with some gold trimmings. All together the beer is very still and dead looking with the head dying by the time it got to me, no lace on this one. Looks more like a pale ale than a fruit beer.

The smell is very grainy with some some wheat in the background. Only getting trace sniffs of watermelon with a whole lot of grass. This one is earthy in every sense of the word and not on the sweet smelling side.

And by god, this stuff is very putrid. It' s not the most offensive beer in the world, or perhaps this is an old keg, but this tastes like bad homebrew. Old faded hops give way to a big grassy smack in the palate, like an old IPA. The watermelon is light and not artificial tasting which is a good thing. Pale malt with lemon grass. I don't know what else to say.

Feel is on the less than medium side with a sharp carb hit despite the beer looking dead. The alcohol is not tasted, yet the aftertaste of old grass is off putting. I thinks this may be a old keg, no way 21st would put out a brew in such large quanity with it being a dud, or would they.

This is a very popular beer with new to craft drinkers. My brother swears by it and he is a BMC guy, so I guess there is some appeal to the non beer geek to seek this out with the watermelon addition. I need to try this from a can, but my draft score will remain.

05-29-2012 02:29:58 | More by BARFLYB
ejimhof

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

12-25-2012 22:00:01 | More by ejimhof
ppoitras

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz can purchased as a 6-pack from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into a Sam Adams glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head over the cloudy blonde brew. Head falls promptly, with average lacing. Aroma is earthy and lightly citric, no watermelon I can sense. Taste starts tart and lightly sweet, finally find some watermelon in the middle, and then get back to a wheat close. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, and drinkability is better than average as well. Not sure the wheat and watermelon work that great together, but maybe as a thirst-quencher. We'll see what happens...

06-05-2009 20:51:41 | More by ppoitras
Stinkypuss

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Ive been wanting to try this one for a while, found it on tap.

Appearance: Bright gold in color with a soapy head and some lace.

Smell: Bready/Biscuity malt and just a faint whiff of fruit, not quite sure if it is watermelon.

Taste: Standard wheat beer notes coupled with a light sour tang of watermelon. With the amount of watermelon juice used, it adds only a subtlety to the beer. Almost like dropping a watermelon jolly rancher into a light beer. Still interesting and certainly an achievement of what they were going for.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: The watermelon flavor was there the whole time, and was very intriguing. I wouldn't want more than one though, good for a novelty but average drinkability.

07-13-2010 18:38:32 | More by Stinkypuss
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

A: A very pale yellow appearance. This is beer is very clear with plenty of effervescence. There is a big, white, fluffy head (due to an aggressive pour) that quickly fades down to about an eight of an inch and leaves some decent lacing throughout the glass, though that disappears in a couple of minutes.

S: The aromas are simple with scents of watermelon jolly ranchers with a little bit of wheat.

T: This beer is refreshing and tasty. I just mowed the lawn, and this is a good beer to pair with summer yard work. The watermelon taste is very present, which I like. I get a bit frustrated when I get a fruit beer and the fruit is so subtle it's hardly detectable. This beer is exactly what it says on the can, and I can respect that. That being said, I'm just not sure that I dig watermelons in my beer.

M: The feel is a bit thin, and has a slight burn in the back (possibly from the fruit?). I would prefer a little more wheat malt backbone and a slightly thicker feel, though I realize this is a low abv summer beer.

D: A good summer beer. One is plenty for me, as I would grow tired of any watermelon beer fairly quickly. Give it a try.

07-15-2010 00:18:36 | More by Huhzubendah

01-16-2013 04:36:07 | More by brandoman63
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat actually bears the colour of a golden delicious apple. It has lightly bleached yellow skin and a thin film that imparts a slightly waxy complexion. It is absolutely jammed full with tirelessly energetic bubbles. Although its head appears unsound, it manages to leave a shotgun spray of lace.

The aroma tips you off about this being one juicy flavoured beer. It smells - as one might expect - a little like watermelon and also carries just a hint of bubble gum. It seems like this should be just as (if not, more so) tart than sweet, which is a bit of reassurance. The extra dimension gives me the impression this will be one interesting wheat beer.

I've sampled the beer a few times before tonight but I never remember it tasting *this* much like watermelon! Just imagine biting into a big, fresh, juicy slice of watermelon. What I especially like is that it doesn't have a sugary, sweet synthetic flavouring. Nope, it really does have the authentic, convincing, bona fide taste of watermelon. Yum!

And it's a very good thing too because I can't imagine a light beer flavoured with candy fruit syrup being all that drinkable, except maybe to those in the wine-spritzer/alcopop cooler crowd. Whether it's authenticity, balance or that lovely tart note at the conclusion of each sip, using 400 lbs. of actual watermelon in each batch really pays its dividends.

I remember spending an entire day walking through Rome in the blistering hot Italian August heat. We were tired, sweaty, and dehydrated. When we came upon the sight of a street vendor selling watermelon slices we thought it was a desert mirage. Those slices were heavenly. I don't think anything in that circumstance could have been more refreshing...

So in combining the memory of that particular watermelon - so juicy, so refreshing - with my love of a nice American wheat beer Shaun O'Sullivan has created something that for me has unimaginable drinking potential. I really liked this beer and consider it gimmicky if you want but I maintain it would be a godsend on any hot summer day.

12-31-2008 02:30:13 | More by biegaman
John_M

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

06-15-2011 13:58:05 | More by John_M
smakawhat

Maryland

2.49/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from the can into a wheat ale glass.

A real nice decent looker on the pour. Big perfectly pinhead forming head, bleach white, four fingers tall with soapy retention and falling slowly. Body color is a very pale yellow and orb glowing with a classic opaque unfiltered appearance. Nice simple rising carbonation, very solid looking brew.

Faint wet watermellon on the nose, but some off smelling character to match. Not much wheat malt sense or chewyness. Off smelling character is semi vegetative but more of a bitter bile sense which isn't very pleasant.

Palate is very thin. Watery body, with hardly any wheat malt density. Crazy and weird odd finish, with some malt sweetness but a real off pleasant rind fruit bitterness to match. Wet body has some watermellon taste and sweetness, but is quickly overshadowed by a lackluster mouthfeel. The aftertaste leave and unbelievably bitter melon quality which just doesn't go away.

Overall not really diggin this, just all around a not pleasant experience.

07-27-2013 16:58:01 | More by smakawhat