Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 2,395
4.3/5  rDev +31.5%

This beer pours a hazy golden straw color with a thick white head.

Some wheat twange, citrus, bready yeast, and almost jolly rancher like watermelon.

I nice smooth wheat flavor. Light refreshing a little twange and the watermelon is just barely there, I would almost mistake it for a cucumber flavor if I didn't know it was watermelon.

The mouthfeel is for lack of a better word perfect. If feels like silk in your mouth.

I don't think a beer gets more drinkable than this. A smooth refeshing wheat beer with a nice light fruit flavor just under the surface. (562 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a DFH Snifter.

A--Pours a light golden yellow with a small white head that didn't last long. Not much retention throughout the beer

S--First thing I get is the watermelon concentrate. It's a sickly sweet taste. From there I get a bit of wheat and some yeast. Light smelling, but it has a prominence to it.

T--The watermelon is nice. Then comes a wheat aftertaste. Finishes with a bit of a yeast bill on the palate.

M--Very light bodied. Tiny bit of carbonation. Water feel as well.

O--This is the perfect beer and my go-to for a brew to take with me to South Beach on the weekends. Overall, though, there are better wheat beers out there. I would recommend it for what it is. Something I will pick up again. (737 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The appearance isn't bad - pale cloudy straw color, 2 fingers of lacing which dies pretty quickly; But I am getting about as much taste as a Miller Lite, maybe with a slight watermelon fruit essence and slight melon odor. Highly carbonated. Was worth one try to satisfy my curiosity, but will never get again. (309 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -18%

12 ounce can purchased at Brews Bros in Mt Lebanon, PA.

Smell: Maybe a tine of watermelon. Some lemon

Taste: Fake watermelon. No doubt. Definitely not real watermelon. Not sure if there is any other flavors in there. Maybe this is Miller Lite with some fake watermelon flavoring?

Mouthfeel: Nice body, goes down smooth. Could drink these on a hot summer day if there was nothing else around.

Overall: I'm still searching for a quality fruit beer. Not sure if I'll ever find a real good one. But for some reason, I keep trying. Somebody please stop me. (556 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks to sirpyscho for this as an extra in a recent trade.
Poured a cloudy golden color with a small head that faded fairly quickly. Leaving no lacing.
Not getting much on the nose. Just a touch of some wheat maltiness and a light touch of fruity sweetness. Can't really detect any watermelon on the nose at all.
Taste almost like a watermelon jolly rancher. Almost like a wheatbeer winecooler. Not normally what I would drink.
Very carbonated and very refreshing. I may drink a couple of these on a hot july day. Try it if you get a chance but I wouldn't go out of my way to get some. (587 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

OK I'm pretty impressed with this. I really wanted to try it for the gimmick of a watermelon beer but I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing beer with alot of flavor. The appearance isn't anything to brag about and the aroma was a little like a capri-sun but the flavor was everything I thought it wouldn't be. Thankfully this is not a sweet beer. If it had been I think it would have ruined the beer by fullfilling my expectation of a watermelon extract/candy alcoholic schnaaps-like drink. Instead the fruit presence is definitely melon but was more cantaloupe than sugary. Highly drinkable... go get some! (617 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +25.4%

Pours out of than can cloudy with a rocky white head. some cloves, spice, and watermelon rind? No hop bitterness, of course, but there is that watermelon rind again. Slightly tangy finish. Can't say I get any watermelon sweetness-but there is a citrus flavor. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Could drink this all day. (320 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -15%

From the can into a standard Sea Dog pint glass

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with a bit of sediment. Very small white head that goes away fairly quickly. What you would expect from a wheat beer.

S - Trying to pull out some watermelon smell but not getting it. Almost a odd vegetable aroma as well. The nose just really isn't doing it for me.

T - Artificial watermelon flavor at first followed by some wheat. Not a whole bunch going on here, expected more for sure.

M - The body is definitely on the lighter side with a small amount of carbonation. I think it needs to be upped a bit to help out the brew.

D - If this is your thing then pretty high. It's light enough in body and abv to drink a few. Probably a good lawnmower beer. Not really my thing but I might just chalk it up to being out of season as well as a slightly dated can. (837 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Normally, I stay away from fruit flavored beers because they often come across tasting like candy or are just too sweet for my liking. But not with Hell or High Watermelon. You get a hint of the watermelon and it doesn't over power other parts of the beer. It's actually one of my go to beers to bring to summertime BBQ's at the neighborhood pool. It's very refreshing to drink on a hot summer's day. (400 characters)

pours a slightly hazy yellow color with good white fluffy head, good lacing, and average carbonation. i don't want to bash beer, but.... this beer was absolutley disgusting. i don't see how anyone could drink this. now, i'm hoping that maybe i just got some from a bad batch or something. it was brand new in my local bottle shop so i know it wasn't old. it had a nasty fish like smell and taste. so much so me and two other BA's couldn't make it past a few sips. all three beers got poured out. just to make sure i popped the rest of the sixer and it was the same in them all. avoid this shit at all cost! (606 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Got as an extra in a trade with brewer b ( great guy trade with him)
poured into a weizen glass, cloudy amber, thick white head, some lacing, head lasts for days it seems.
smells like a wheat beer with watermelon jollyrancher in it.
taste's similar to the smell, but less watermelon. still a lot though.
mouthfeel i fairly carbonated, very refreshing.
as a rule i don't like wheat beers and i hate fruit beers, yet i like this beer. its tasty as hell. i can't explain it, but i like it. when i move to california i plan to keep a 12 pack or so of this around for hot summer days. (582 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Just a really refreshing canned beer. Perfect for a hot day if you want something on the sweeter end. Not normally one for fruit beers, or wheat beers for that matter, but this remains an exception. (198 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -15%

I give them cedit with coming up with a unique, off-beat flavor combination. That doesn't mean I found it to be a particularly tasty or refreshing combination. Pours a bit of a hazy yellow, with maybe an inch of foam. Slight watermelon aroma. The flavor is tart watermelon grafted onto an ordinary tasting wheat beer. It comes across as just odd. Can't see it really pairing with food very well, and not really refreshing. Sort of interesting to taste once but not something I plan to have more of. (498 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -19%

Now I've been wanting to try me so 21st amendment for a quick minute now, and was pumped when I came across it at Julio's.

Appearance was was a slightly hazy pale yellow. Yellow and fizzy, so far no good.

Smell was very bland. not much there. fruity and crisp hops.

Taste had very little watermallon. I was expecting more melon for sure. Pale malts, and mild hops.

crisp light mouthfeel (390 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +10.7%

Something also on trade...this one a fruit, which I normally don't get a chance to try much. Pours a cloudy pilsey yellow with almost no head, and little lacing. Smells sweet, and green, and floral. Taste is interesting, different from many other fruit beers, surely some watermelon, but only hints. An interesting approach to a fruit beer and one that I was happy to try. Easy drinking, and not bitter and light. Carbonation is only low-moderate. Fun to try! (459 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -37%

Pours a hazy golden color, with a couple fingers of head. The smell is funky, but not in a good, Belgian sort of way. Instead its a strange, unpleasant smell, somewhat wheat like, but not entirely. The first taste is bitter, although not strongly so. After another sip or two, I start to notice the watermelon flavor, but I'm not enjoying it. I tried to finish this, but it became a drain pour instead. Perhaps its just the watermelon, but this beer simply does not work for me, even though I love wheat beers and fruit beers. (526 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

P: Pours a faded yellow straw color, mostly opaque with an off-white head that leaves some sticky lacing as it falls.

A: Aromas predominately of sweet malt, butter biscuit, vanilla, and what can be deciphered as slowly melting watermelon sherbet. Hints of hops in the background.

T: Mostly sweet caramelized malts with hints of watermelon starbursts. Sweetness kind of overwhelms, lacks balance.

M: Somewhat heavy, soupy for a wheat. Noticeable carbonation.

D: Unbalanced, odd brew. Certainly not what I'd expect from a wheat brew. (537 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +35.8%

I was pleased to find that this beer does indeed taste like watermelon, and not something with artificial "watermelon flavor" added for the sake of making it sweeter and more appealing, as happens with candy since watermelon itself is so boring. It's light in body and in color, and it's easy to drink. I'd recommend it to anyone who asked about it. (349 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +31.8%

Really refreshing beer. I can sit back and throw down multiples of these on a nice summer day. There is a hint of watermelon on the nose. The finish is where the watermelon really shows up. It's not forward or subtle but you get the watermelon. Tasty stuff. (257 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz can poured into a Widmer hefe glass.

A: Hazy yellow straw, no head, no lacing.

S: Rotten vegetables, yeast, some watermelon.

T: A more pronounced watermelon flavor. Slightly sweet, wheaty and malty. Nothing too crazy, pretty subdued flavors.

M: Medium body, but closer to thin. Medium carbonation.

D: Easy drinker, would be good on a hot day if I couldn't find any water. Nothing special. (400 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz can into no nic pint glass

A - hazy lite yellow with little to no head.

S - watermelon is only apparent with some effort. Overall weak wheat flavor with a tease of melon.

T - again weak wheat base with a tease of melon. With it were more pronounced to be something different. Just not much going on here. Easy to drink but forgettable.

M - light bodied and easy drinking. Finishes as easy as you would expect for such a weak beer.

O - not horrible but not special by any means. Almost interesting enough to seek out but I don't think I'll be having another. At best a novelty but not enough character to be good one. (630 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an appealing bright yellow. Don't really get much on the nose. Watermelon definitely there on first taste, but it has an effect of almost making this beer seem watered down. Overall a refreshing beer that will do the job on a hot summer day. (249 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A: A hazy brew that is straw yellow, foamy white head fades into some lace.

S: Smell: Not much in the way of smell some wheat tang maybe.

T: Well we have a natural watermelon and some light wheat action happening, the flavor is not offensive but neither is it memorable. Letting this beer warm up does wonders for the flavor.

M: Hmmm it's not watery but its close, lots of carbonation.

D: Easy of the taste buds and the palette, nice on a super hot day

Notes: I was so excited to try this beer, since it just arrived into my area. The beer is not bad, but is not memorable either; I think it needs a little more kick in the flavor department. (686 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

Had this beer twice, and both times it has fallen on the better half of surprise.

I've heard many complaints that this beer is too spritzy and that there isn't enough going on flavor wise. However, I think that these are a couple of its strong points.

It is indeed spritzy, but not in an over-the-top, acidic bubbling on your tongue way. Effervescent is what I would call it.

The flavors are subtle, but with this style, that is the way it should be. Rather than dose this beer with a heavy watermelon Otter-pop juice flavor, the brewers kept it simple and gave the essence of the melon flavor in a dry, very neutral wheat beer base. No noticable hop flavors, which would very much distract from the watermelon.

Aroma is hard to detect, but there is a slight white flour and watermelon in the nose if you get close.

This is a perfect choice for a nice hot day. If I could buy their new cans up here, I'd get a case. (934 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -13.1%

Kind of a let down. Picked up a six pack of this for a really hot day in hopes of sipping at a refreshing summer beer. The watermelon flavor doesn’t really mesh with the beer well. It tastes really artificial like watermelon candy. If you want a watermelon beer I would recommend Thomas Hooker if possible. (308 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery