Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 688 | Hads: 2,481
4.06/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Just a really refreshing canned beer. Perfect for a hot day if you want something on the sweeter end. Not normally one for fruit beers, or wheat beers for that matter, but this remains an exception.

2.78/5  rDev -15.2%

I give them cedit with coming up with a unique, off-beat flavor combination. That doesn't mean I found it to be a particularly tasty or refreshing combination. Pours a bit of a hazy yellow, with maybe an inch of foam. Slight watermelon aroma. The flavor is tart watermelon grafted onto an ordinary tasting wheat beer. It comes across as just odd. Can't see it really pairing with food very well, and not really refreshing. Sort of interesting to taste once but not something I plan to have more of.

2.65/5  rDev -19.2%

Now I've been wanting to try me so 21st amendment for a quick minute now, and was pumped when I came across it at Julio's.

Appearance was was a slightly hazy pale yellow. Yellow and fizzy, so far no good.

Smell was very bland. not much there. fruity and crisp hops.

Taste had very little watermallon. I was expecting more melon for sure. Pale malts, and mild hops.

crisp light mouthfeel

2.84/5  rDev -13.4%

Kind of a let down. Picked up a six pack of this for a really hot day in hopes of sipping at a refreshing summer beer. The watermelon flavor doesn’t really mesh with the beer well. It tastes really artificial like watermelon candy. If you want a watermelon beer I would recommend Thomas Hooker if possible.

3.62/5  rDev +10.4%

Something also on trade...this one a fruit, which I normally don't get a chance to try much. Pours a cloudy pilsey yellow with almost no head, and little lacing. Smells sweet, and green, and floral. Taste is interesting, different from many other fruit beers, surely some watermelon, but only hints. An interesting approach to a fruit beer and one that I was happy to try. Easy drinking, and not bitter and light. Carbonation is only low-moderate. Fun to try!

2.06/5  rDev -37.2%

Pours a hazy golden color, with a couple fingers of head. The smell is funky, but not in a good, Belgian sort of way. Instead its a strange, unpleasant smell, somewhat wheat like, but not entirely. The first taste is bitter, although not strongly so. After another sip or two, I start to notice the watermelon flavor, but I'm not enjoying it. I tried to finish this, but it became a drain pour instead. Perhaps its just the watermelon, but this beer simply does not work for me, even though I love wheat beers and fruit beers.

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

P: Pours a faded yellow straw color, mostly opaque with an off-white head that leaves some sticky lacing as it falls.

A: Aromas predominately of sweet malt, butter biscuit, vanilla, and what can be deciphered as slowly melting watermelon sherbet. Hints of hops in the background.

T: Mostly sweet caramelized malts with hints of watermelon starbursts. Sweetness kind of overwhelms, lacks balance.

M: Somewhat heavy, soupy for a wheat. Noticeable carbonation.

D: Unbalanced, odd brew. Certainly not what I'd expect from a wheat brew.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz can poured into a Widmer hefe glass.

A: Hazy yellow straw, no head, no lacing.

S: Rotten vegetables, yeast, some watermelon.

T: A more pronounced watermelon flavor. Slightly sweet, wheaty and malty. Nothing too crazy, pretty subdued flavors.

M: Medium body, but closer to thin. Medium carbonation.

D: Easy drinker, would be good on a hot day if I couldn't find any water. Nothing special.

2.9/5  rDev -11.6%

12oz can into no nic pint glass

A - hazy lite yellow with little to no head.

S - watermelon is only apparent with some effort. Overall weak wheat flavor with a tease of melon.

T - again weak wheat base with a tease of melon. With it were more pronounced to be something different. Just not much going on here. Easy to drink but forgettable.

M - light bodied and easy drinking. Finishes as easy as you would expect for such a weak beer.

O - not horrible but not special by any means. Almost interesting enough to seek out but I don't think I'll be having another. At best a novelty but not enough character to be good one.

3.43/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an appealing bright yellow. Don't really get much on the nose. Watermelon definitely there on first taste, but it has an effect of almost making this beer seem watered down. Overall a refreshing beer that will do the job on a hot summer day.

3.24/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A: A hazy brew that is straw yellow, foamy white head fades into some lace.

S: Smell: Not much in the way of smell some wheat tang maybe.

T: Well we have a natural watermelon and some light wheat action happening, the flavor is not offensive but neither is it memorable. Letting this beer warm up does wonders for the flavor.

M: Hmmm it's not watery but its close, lots of carbonation.

D: Easy of the taste buds and the palette, nice on a super hot day

Notes: I was so excited to try this beer, since it just arrived into my area. The beer is not bad, but is not memorable either; I think it needs a little more kick in the flavor department.

3.98/5  rDev +21.3%

Had this beer twice, and both times it has fallen on the better half of surprise.

I've heard many complaints that this beer is too spritzy and that there isn't enough going on flavor wise. However, I think that these are a couple of its strong points.

It is indeed spritzy, but not in an over-the-top, acidic bubbling on your tongue way. Effervescent is what I would call it.

The flavors are subtle, but with this style, that is the way it should be. Rather than dose this beer with a heavy watermelon Otter-pop juice flavor, the brewers kept it simple and gave the essence of the melon flavor in a dry, very neutral wheat beer base. No noticable hop flavors, which would very much distract from the watermelon.

Aroma is hard to detect, but there is a slight white flour and watermelon in the nose if you get close.

This is a perfect choice for a nice hot day. If I could buy their new cans up here, I'd get a case.

1.06/5  rDev -67.7%

Pale yellow. Aroma is an awful combination of sweetness mixed with pickled rind and layered with sweaty rotten wheat. Bad combination. Bad idea. This beer fails as a fruit beer and as a wheat beer. The taste was an unpleasant gag fest sour something with a hint of wheat. An after taste lingers long after the beer was poured out. I wanted to cry.

3.54/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hazy light straw color. (Served with a wedge of watermelon on the glass at the brew pub).

Watermelon, citrus, yeasty, pink grapefruit, toasted white bread, grassy.

Soft round notes of cereal, citrus and yeast on the palate. Fairly four-square with a clean, lactic finish.

Medium- bodied with a slightly watery texture.

Refreshing with the watermelon, but fairly simple and needing a little more texture.

(Tasted from sampler at the brew pub).

2.82/5  rDev -14%

A: Pale gold, slightly hazy, and big bubbles. Looks like a light wheat.

S: Barely any watermelon, bready grains and yeast.

T: Boring and light. Some weak and bland dried watermelon and light grains. Very slight sweetness and some dryness.

M: Refreshing for the summer and bubbly, it drinks like a light soda.

O: Not my thing. Not enough "punch." It's bland and clean, so it may appeal to people who like lighter tasting beers.

3.57/5  rDev +8.8%

I garnished this with a watermelon slice. This was my 4th of July beer of choice. I had never heard of 21st Amendment Brewery before; this was my first beer from them.

A) straw-colored, in between yellow and amber. Thin white head disappeared quickly, no lacing.

S) mild - wheat, lemon, watermelon

T) Like it smelled, but stronger on the watermelon. But not overpowering.

MF) Fairly crisp, a little thin feeling

D) Very high. Pleasant taste, low-ish (average) ABV, refreshing. Easy to down several of these in a sitting.

Overall, kind of boring but a good summer session beer.

2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

Appearance- Piss yellow, cloudy, very thin head

Smell- Cotton candy, lemon

Taste- Like a Bud Light with artificial melon flavor

Mouthfeel- Fizzy, overcarbonated, thin

Overall- Meh. More water than melon.

4.4/5  rDev +34.1%

A- A great golden hazy cloud. About 2 fingers of head that goes away but not too quickly. Little to no lacing.

S- Yeasty with orange peel and melon rind and tartness

T- Really great and surprising. Its a wheat beer. So, naturally yeasty and orange and coriander spices. But mix in an even, but not overbearing, watermelon hint of flavor and you get another level. Really refreshing.

M- light body and light carbonation. Just right for this style

O- excellent sessional summer beer. Hangin at the lake. In the heat. Whatever. Taste great. I need more.

2.81/5  rDev -14.3%

A-Pours a cloudy golden color with minimal head retention. Looks like a macro lager/hefeweizen combo.

S-I really don't smell anything. Sort of sweet , but nothing else.

T-BIG watermelon taste with this one. Very sweet. Mild hop character on the tongue. Tastes like summer.

M-Very crisp and refreshing. Once again, it screams summer.

O-Overall this a decent brew. I can totally see myself drinking this during the summer months with a hot dog in one hand and this beer in the other watching the Red Sox.

2.7/5  rDev -17.7%

Once in a while you are presented with something you are sure will be atrocious and turns out to be well... just different.

I could review this according to the traditional run through of Serving to Drinkability.

But instead I will say it is predominantly a light wheat beer with all of those characteristics. The watermelon comes in at the end of the sip and is not particularly overbearing. It is in fact a highly palatable beer. It is reminiscent of the watermelon Jolly Rancher or lollipop.

There is less aftertaste than you would expect and the beer has a decent body to it.

having said all this I would not drink a full can of it; it is so far from my taste in beer I can't imagine wasting the blood alcohol and calories on it.

However if you think you may like a wheat beer with a zing of slightly sour, slightly sweet watermelon. In my opinion the watermelon has ruined a good wheat beer in lieu of complimenting it. Thus the reduced taste rating. However this is largely about my aversion to this style versus a flaw in the brewing.

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

This is the first beer I have had from a can in quite some time. I must also say that this is a case of a novelty name getting me to try a beer, and this time I am pleasantly surprised.

Pours clear yellow with thin white head.
not much on the nose.
WOW, watermelon in the taste big time. Very refreshing.
Cool can, the artwork is pretty great..
easy to drink but a bit novel.
I think that this would be a great brew to grill out with, very refreshing and a cool concept I haven't seen in many other beers.

3.42/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

First time I had this was at 21st Amendment in SF and it came with a watermelon slice, I remembered it being a decent wheat beer. Two years later and it's still pretty satisfying. Pours a slightly hazy light-yellow with greenish-tones and a tiny head that dissipates quickly. Smell is wheat, some citrus and hints of watermelon. The nice thing about the watermelon taste throughout is that, as others have noted, it's genuine and smooth rather than artificial. Lots of wheat and watermelon flavor and mouthfeel is alright, really what you'd expect from an American wheat.

1.46/5  rDev -55.5%

Bought a single can to give it a try. I want to like 21st Amendment...

A - Very pale cloudy yellow. No head, little lacing.

S - Smells like slightly rotting organic matter. Maybe the insides of a pumpkin. Maybe the watermelon rinds after two weeks in the hot sun. It certainly has a strong smell, but it's the least appealing smell I've ever found in a beer. Near gag reflex. I can't stress this enough. This smells awful. I never drain pour a beer. I'm close on this one, and I've never tasted it!

T & M - See above. Imagine that ambiguous rotting organic matter is now soaked in Miller Lite, and then rung out into a can. For good measure, I imagine this can was probably left in the sun another couple of hours. The only positive is my breath is now watermelony fresh. That's the first I really noticed the watermelon, and I hope it never finds its way into a beer again.

D - You'll have to ask my drain on this one. I have no intentions of finishing this.

This is the worst beer I've had in a VERY long time...

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chilled pint glass

A - Straw hazy orange...identical to a blue moon. Depleting one inch head and noticeably a wheat beer.

S - You get that wheat beer smell some fruit and melon too. No hop presence.

T - A perfect summer, easy drinking brew. In the taste you really get that watermelon flavor.especially after swallowing it... I don't understand why this beer got the rating it did....so lame.

M - easy drinking brew, medium carbonation.

A perfect beer for hanging out back with a bbq. easy drinking...slightly fruity. Some citra hop presence would have put this beer over the top....it would of complemented this watermelon nice. Go get it.

3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz can served in a Sam Adams pint glass. Purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ.

A: Cloudy light golden/straw body. Tall fluffy white head settled fairly quickly into thin film.

S: Smells like other wheat beers I've had. Assorted grains with hints of lemon. Watermelon is also faintly present.

T: A somewhat sweet and fruity, but not overbearing, start. Watermelon is again present. Finishes a bit tart.

M: Light to Medium bodied. A bit crisp.

D: Refreshing on a hot summer day. It's a decent beer, but not overly impressive. Low alcohol and light body increase its drinkability.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery