Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Blanco

02-19-2013 05:28:15 | More by Blanco
VncentLIFE

3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

4 straight from a can. here we go!

Pour is a cloudy yellow. aggressive pour produced over an inch of head that dissipates into a ring of head. I wanna call it a Wit badly.

The smell is, just, no. Corn everywhere. NO.

Now the taste is odd, very odd. Corn and watermelon. I never thought id like it, but I really do. If it didnt smell like hell, Itd be perfect. Theres a nice balance of fruitiness from the watermelon but a definite beer base. Interesting to say the least.

05-12-2012 23:51:53 | More by VncentLIFE
Cloaked_Phantom

Georgia

07-19-2014 06:00:00 | More by Cloaked_Phantom
JMS1512

05-30-2014 22:19:53 | More by JMS1512
JackieTH

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to Drew for sharing.

Appearance: Light gold.

Smell: Definite watermelon and grain.

Taste: Watermelon & grain, but not at all sweet or cloying. A tad bit bitter/dry like the white part of a slice of watermelon as you approach the rind. Almost zero sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Thin but average for a wheat beer.

Drinkability. Interesting brew, but one was enough for me, as the watermelon became a little irritating about 3/4 the way through.

08-16-2010 19:05:08 | More by JackieTH

gpawned

07-23-2012 04:09:23 | More by gpawned
OStrungT

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer pours a clear, light golden wellow color with a thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has an odd aroma, to say the least. I can smell some watermelon. It has a very dominate grainy aroma however. It also has a very subtle spicy aroma. Not what I was expecting, and a little less than I would desire.

This beer tastes better than it smells, but only a little. Grainy. Very grainy. Some subtle watermelon flavor mixes in. That is about it. Not bad, but although I cant really put it into words, its not wat I was expecting.

This beer is high in carbonation. It is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grainy watermelon aftertaste.

I dont knwo about the drinkability of this one. It is low enough in alcohol to make putting down a few easy, but I didnt like the taste, so I couldnt see myself drinking too many.

Overall: I am happy to have finally had the chance to try this one. Every time I stop by the brewery, they are out, so having my wife find it was a real treat. Although it wasnt what I was expecting, I have no regrets about it. Nice try 21st Amendment.

10-23-2008 20:50:37 | More by OStrungT
BKBassist

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

07-21-2013 05:40:23 | More by BKBassist
cswhitehorse

Oregon

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

The Hell or High Watermelon poured a hazy dark yellow color with a small 1 finger foam head that dissipated quickly and not much in the way of lacing.

The smell was a sour note with the taste hitting you with a good wheat malt background with a really sweet juice of watermelon in your grill. It left a tad bit of bitterness but it could not overpower the watermelon. Overall this might be a good one for the woman but pretty darn plain in my tastes.

08-15-2009 03:43:57 | More by cswhitehorse
stevoj

Idaho

3.51/5  rDev +6.7%

I loved the way the watermelon added to this beer. Not overpowering sweetness, just some light melon flavor in the background, refreshing yet slightly dry. This is an excellent summer, hot weather beer. Nice wheat backbone, pale golden in color, light foamy head.

05-26-2014 12:21:54 | More by stevoj
Celtics76

Rhode Island

07-07-2014 13:05:17 | More by Celtics76
ToasterChef

Maine

2.55/5  rDev -22.5%

A cellar temperature can is poured into a pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy and has the color of tarnished gold. A few fingers worth of off-white foam rises out of the liquid, but it doesn't stay for long. Already the bubbles that make it up are popping. Eventually, all that is left is a skim of foam. No lacing is left behind. Lots of carbonation bubbles are rising within the glass.

The beer has a sweet wheat aroma. I can smell watermelon, but I'm not sure I would have been able to identify the scent if I didn't know this beer had the fruit in it.

This is a sweet, fruity beer. Some aspects of its wheat base are apparent, especially as I swallow. Mostly I taste sweet watermelon flavors, like a piece of candy. There may be a hint of bitterness as soon as I taste the beer, but if it is there, it is gone quickly.

For a summer beer, this one sits heavy in my mouth. A lot of foamy carbonation is present, and the coating is thick and sticky.

Overall, this isn't a beer I'd go back to. I prefer a lighter wheat beer for a summer seasonal, and I'm not a fan of watermelon the fruit, so watermelon the beer probably isn't for me either. Still, its an interesting and commendable experiment.

07-06-2011 19:09:54 | More by ToasterChef
HopDerek

3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A can picked up at Union Jacks, poured into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with big foamy white head. Fades quickly leaving no lacing, very little retention. Smells like a typical wheat beer, cereal malts, wheat, spices, and a touch of lemon. Tastes of sweet malts, honey, wheat, clove, coriander, and orange and lemon zest followed by a nice blast of watermelon. Medium light in body with some moderate carbonation. Crisp and sweet with a nice sour melon finish that is semi-dry. Very refreshing and easy to drink, a nice summer session.

06-28-2009 21:28:41 | More by HopDerek
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +18.5%

appearance: hazy yellow gold with not much head and non-existent lacing.
smell: Very faint watermelon. I would've missed it had I not been sniffing for it.
taste: There's the watermelon! Pretty tasty.
mouthfeel: pretty slight. Some carbonation.
drinkability: This is quite refreshing on a hot Ga. summer afternoon.
Not bad, but not a seek it out, must have.

08-01-2010 21:38:19 | More by cindyjeffsmith

08-22-2013 13:04:00 | More by Cooker_stp
hwwty4

Missouri

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk for this one.

Poured a 12oz can into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a hazy straw with a 1 finger head that disappeared within seconds and left no lacing at all. The aroma reminds me of a whole grain bagel with some sort of berry cream cheese. Good for breakfast not for beer. The taste is just flat out strange. The flavor is very grainy. It really reminds me of a Everything Bagel form Einstein Bagels mixed with a glass of water that had a Watermelon Jolly Rancher dropped in. Good for Zima, not some much for beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. I'm sorry, but I think I would choose a glass of water over another one of these brews.

10-21-2008 04:31:16 | More by hwwty4