1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,469 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
phergy

Missouri

4.4/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The watermelon wheat looks like any unfiltered wheat beer: amber and cloudy. It has a white bubbly head that thins quickly. The nose is almost all wheat grain. It isn't until the first drink that you get a hint of watermelon. It is subtle, but noticeable, and adds a bit of sweetness to the beer. The closest I can get to describing the flavor is watermelon Jolly Rancher, but it not nearly that overpoweringly sweet. More like someone near you is eating a watermelon Jolly Rancher and you occasionally get a whiff. I was surprised to find that the watermelon is a nice complement to the wheatiness of the beer. Not a beer I would drink every day, but very good; much better than I expected.

05-20-2008 21:11:10 | More by phergy
MagicHatFan

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

I discovered this beer when looking for something new at the liquor store tonight. I've always like watermelon beer, so I figured that I'd give it a shot. I wasn't sure about the can but since I poured it into a glass, it didn't really matter. The beer poured with a strong head that quickly disappeared. It's a yellow straw color. The smell is of wheat and watermelon but also of sour popcorn if you can imagine that. The taste makes up for any faults in smell and appearance. It tastes like a light wheat beer with a watermelon aftertaste. The watermelon taste is real and not artificial or too sweet. It reminds me more of actual watermelon and less of watermelon bubblegum. This is a good summer beer that goes down smooth.

06-12-2010 01:10:14 | More by MagicHatFan
shiptoshore

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

12 ounce can, cold, poured into a pint glass.

Pours a light pale yellow with barely an eighth of an inch of a foamy white head.

The smell has some strong hints of wheat but a very small presence of watermelon

It tastes almost how it smells, the wheat is the first to come out with a watermelon aftertaste

After drinking it I feel that despite it being hailed as a watermelon wheat beer the traces of watermelon are all but forgotten. The beer is light and makes for a good drink on a hot day but other than that not impressed.

07-25-2010 23:36:59 | More by shiptoshore
Amdy

3.53/5  rDev +9%

Pours out a nice gold color, small amount of head. Smells like a wheat beer, bit of citrus some watermelon rind? Tastes very light, I can probably drink this all day... watermelon flavor, a bit like watermelon jollyranchers, nice amount of carbonation... definitely refreshing.

03-23-2011 17:50:00 | More by Amdy
einman

2.91/5  rDev -10.2%

Not something I disliked necessarily but I was actually hoping it would have a bit more of the watermelon flavor.

Poured nice and I was hopeful after getting the first smell but after tasting it I was dissappointed. If I hadn't know what it was supposed to be I may not have guessed it, very light on the flavor.

Otherwise it drinks just like a light lager beer to me, not much to it. Gimmicky is how I described it to my GF.

Will I finish the six pack, yes. Will I buy again, probably not.

05-10-2011 21:40:17 | More by einman
B0BZ1LLA

3.73/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A pale, straw-yellow and slightly cloudy beer with virtually no head.

S: A somewhat-too sour watermelon smell accompanies a decent wheat aroma.

T: It's almost all watermelon, but it's surprisingly just the right amount. It's not a watered down wheat, nor is it a liquid jolly rancher.

M: Hell or High Watermelon is a fairly light beer.

O: A great summer beer.

09-03-2012 03:39:51 | More by B0BZ1LLA
tompearson

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

Strange way I got this beer. It was mailed to me from a friend of my daughter from San Francisco to Portland. Anyway this was a nice beer! Could drink tons of it as it is refreshing and tasty. And it does have a hint of watermelon to boot. I liked it and wish more were available up here.

06-22-2010
It's here! New Seasons

09-14-2008 23:29:40 | More by tompearson
AdamTheFool

Maryland

1.43/5  rDev -55.9%

I was really excited to find an adventurous beer in a can in the liquor store. Turns out it was TOO adventurous. I ended up having to draw straws every round of beers and give it to the loser just to get rid of it.

This beer tasted watered down and that may have been the best part of it. I don't mean to be cruel but so far on this site it had a B-. Someone must have been grading on a curve

12-23-2010 18:24:26 | More by AdamTheFool
lukekruse1

2.4/5  rDev -25.9%

A watermelon beer? This would be a new style for me. The can says watermelon juice is added. Hmm.

A - Poured a light golden color. Looks like a typical wheat beer to me with a little foam on the head.

S - Definitely fruity with some wheat.

T - This just does not do it for me. The watermelon is overdone and leaves this not really tasting like beer. Perhaps part of the problem was drinking this beer on a cold winter night when it might hit the spot on a summer picnic. Maybe I would try it again in those circumstances.

M/D - A little sticky and light carbonation on the tongue. Sweet. I wouldn't really want more than one of these despite the low ABV.

12-31-2010 02:21:55 | More by lukekruse1
slash196

Indiana

1.9/5  rDev -41.4%

A- Looks nice, a thick-looking wheat, but a suspiciously thin head portends disappointment.

S- I like the smell, and I give props to them for trying something unusual. Deceptively promising.

T- I could analyze this to the wall, but there's only one word that sums it up: WEEEAAAKKKK.

M- Fizzy and insubstantial.

There's just nothing standing behind this. A fruit beer has to be a good beer without the fruit. Nico and Shaun ought to pour an Abita Purple Haze and take notes.

03-23-2011 02:27:35 | More by slash196
Friskybeerrapist

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

A- This American Wheat has a hazy yellowish appearance with a low- fast dissipating- white head.

S- Faint watermelon, cheap wheat, and yeast fill the air and a underlying funk that is off putting.

T- A very strange and upfront concentrated fruit flavor that taste more like rotten apples than watermelon. It has absolutely no finish- the flavor drops off into a watery tasteless waste of a beer.

M- Low Carbonation and light body gives this brew a easy drinkin award.

Final Thoughts- This American Wheat is not worth buying twice- it's akward flavor is hard to drink let alone 5 more. Keep trying 21 Amendment- it could potentially be a good beer.

01-29-2012 02:37:50 | More by Friskybeerrapist
mcss

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from Can into Sam Adams Pint Glass

A: Golden yellow color with lots of carbonation. Very short head that dissolved quickly into near nothingness.

S: Detect the wheat in the smell, but it is very mild, no detection of watermelon.

T:Starts out very mild, then the watermelon taste rushes in. Finishes tart on the back of the tongue, watermelon taste disappears quickly.

M: Very thin, lots of carbonation lingers.

O: Better than other watermelon beers I have tasted, but still strange to taste watermelon in my beer!

07-01-2012 03:28:13 | More by mcss
rbouton

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why.

01-24-2010 06:35:54 | More by rbouton
Jfraser

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%

Saw this at the local shop and was interested, as watermelon is not a common ingredient and could go well with a late summer picnic. The can says that it is fermented with watermelon concentrate and has added watermelon juice, so I was expecting a somewhat sweet syrup type watermelon flavor.

Initial appearance was a slightly dark wheat beer with little to no head. The smell was slightly funky, although I could have gotten a bad pack I believe this is due to the unexpected watermelon smell mixing with the other hop and malt smells. The taste was surprisingly not like what it smelled like (this was a good thing), but rather a very mellow watermelon flavor quickly followed by wheat. This was definitely not the syrup/sticky sweet flavor I was bracing myself for, but was rather enjoyable. The mouthfeel is light and crisp like a typical wheat beer, with a fairly good drinkability.

This beer would have to be paired very carefully as the watermelon flavor would not play off of strong savory or sweet flavors well.

08-19-2010 23:57:50 | More by Jfraser
filmlabrat

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

Trying to put personal biases aside here. Not my favorite kind of beer. Refreshing but unremarkable.

Well crafted for the beer type, but watermelon is wimpy and subtle and I think all the aromatics went away before it got close to the can. Maybe I can taste a bit of watermelon in there but can't be sure. I can taste the wheat.

The light tartness is thirst quenching. Have no idea where that 5.2% ABV is hiding because it tastes like 2%

My wife laughed at me for drinking it.

09-03-2008 04:42:04 | More by filmlabrat
SillyCheez

4.3/5  rDev +32.7%

By my rating, you can tell I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I was looking for a slighlty sweet summer beer to have during cook outs and BBQs, or sitting by the pool and relaxing in the sun. Sit back with a BBQ burger, fruit salad, and enjoy the sunny day.

A: Average for a beer. You can see lots of carbonation, and there is not much of a head. But for a crisp, summer beer, I don't WANT a large head on my beer. Also, an extra .5 for the can design.

S: GREAT. Crack open the can and pour and just smell grain and fresh melon. One of those beers you love to take a full nose full when you drink.

T: The melon is more in the background of the taste. You get just the quick hint of bitterness, then the flavor of some more popular wit beers, where replacing some citrus notes is the melon. It does not linger long at all, but it refreshes very well.

MF: The high carbonation just works with the overall package. It is every so slighlty syrupy as well. It all helps the beer become a refreshing package.

To those who have bought a 6 pack and don't enjoy it, save one for a BBQ, and give it another shot. For low bitterness/refreshing summer beers, this is one of my favorites.

07-21-2011 21:55:44 | More by SillyCheez
JeleReviews

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Hazy golden straw color. Half a thumb of head with little to no lacing. The head fizzles down very quickly.
S: Slight watermelon tint with a light wheat aroma. Almost off putting.
T: My first sip was quite the surprise. It grew on me quick. A wheat flavor first hits the tongue ,but it is eventually overtaken by an artificial tart watermelon flavor.
M: At first it is a pleasant amount of carbonation to compliment the drink. As it sits it very quickly goes flat. Clean light watermelon finish.
Overall: I came to enjoy this beer. Don't plan to cuddle with it as it will go flat quick. This would be a nice beer to have on a summer day. A little pat on the back. Worth a try if you like lighter beer.

04-19-2012 00:26:01 | More by JeleReviews
dansroka

4.35/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I used to work in the neighborhood of 21st Amendment, and this quickly became a favorite summertime beer. Your first reaction to hearing the name is "watermelon? in a beer?". But watermelon provides a suprisingly light and refreshing twist to a wheat beer. After drinking it, we all had the sudden desire to try to brew it ourselves.

It arrives with a nice head, nice clear color, and a slice of watermelon (instead of the typical lemon). The taste is all beer, with just a hint of watermelon - enough to make a difference without feeling cloying or gimmicky. The draught is very refreshing, cutting through any flavors in whatever food you may be eating and cleansing your palette. Perfect with one of their great burgers, before strolling down to a game.

03-04-2005 19:46:00 | More by dansroka
sakana

3.63/5  rDev +12%

I'm reviewing this based on memory, so please bear with me, as I do not have tasting notes.

It was a hot night at the bar, and I was in the mood for something light and refreshing to chase away the cloying heat of the place. this pale yet flavorful beer was thoroughly enjoyable and was just what the doctor ordered to chase away the uncomfortable warmth of the place.

This was not the first watermelon wheat beer I had consumed, there was another I had enjoyed the previous summer that drew me to choose this instead of one of the other available options. Don't expect it totaste strongly of watermelon - I only moticed melon flavors in the aftertaste, as up front you mostly we treated to a light, wheaty flavor.

Definitely a nice treat for a hot day, and now that I know that I can get it in cans, it'll likely come with me to the next BBQ I attend.

07-16-2012 21:27:01 | More by sakana
CT949

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Even though the only other fruit flavored beer I've ever had was Shipyard's blueberry, by nature, I'm not a big fan of fruit flavored beer.

That being said, I was very surprised with this 21st Amendment beer. The watermelon is very poignant and almost tastes like Gatorade. I drank five of these without even thinking about it. Great summer beer.

05-14-2013 02:00:57 | More by CT949
tiga2000

2.7/5  rDev -16.7%

I was excited about getting this beer in a can. Had it few times at the brewery and look forward to it every summer. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed about this. The watermelon taste seems to be very artificial, to the extend that I thought they added watermelon syrup to get the flavor. Otherwise, still a decent wheat beer to drink in the summer.

07-28-2008 18:14:06 | More by tiga2000
hipsterbob

I don't review beers, but this beer was in need of a review.

This beer made me want to do a drain poor from just the smell, let alone the first sip, and i've drank some pretty garbage beers before that i could at least somewhat tolerate.

look - like day old warm apple juice, and i've seen more head on pouring water into a glass at high pressure.

taste - tasted like when you threw up in your mouth a little bit, and you force it back down, and you taste what you ate earlier that day, but with an obviously throwup-ie taste. and if there was any remote watermelon taste, it was the the taste of rind of a mellon, gross.

feel - couldn't really feel the mouth feel, since i was busy trying to swallow this beer.

overall - won't ever drink this again, i only finished it, since i paid $2 for it. after seeing this beer on a website showing cool beers i should try, name seemed interesting and inviting, and after looking at the "ba" overall reviews for this beer, i decided to try it, and man, was it a complete disappointment.

07-23-2010 23:51:52 | More by hipsterbob
omb

1.25/5  rDev -61.4%

Have heard good things about 21st Amendment. Well lets say I was extremely disappointed with my 1st forray. This was a can poured into a frosted pint glass.

Boring, stale, flat taste, and that's just the good things. The taste of watermelon was overpowering. Head was small.

This was so bad the bartendered offered a substitution.

Hopefully my future posts will be for better buys.

03-17-2011 14:08:30 | More by omb
BugsyDZ

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%

It's a light, summer, low ABV beer with a twist. I ordered it because it sounded crazy, it is so well put together that it isn't crazy at all.
The watermelon is present but not overbearing or too sweet. It's clean and refreshing.
It is more 'bubbly' than a traditional wheat beer but still is definitely a wheat beer.
I very much enjoyed it and can see a 6-pack in my near future, enjoyed outside on a hot summer's evening.
Pretty surprised at some of the reviews, if you want an IPA, order one. If you don't like watermelon and/or light effervescent beer don't buy this.
If you live somewhere that gets hot and want a different refreshing beer give it a try.

05-26-2012 01:21:58 | More by BugsyDZ
KimCox

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +39.8%

I've only been drinking craft beer for about 2.5 years and I know that everyone's palate is different but I really enjoy this beer! I don't enjoy sweet, syrupy, fruity beers/ciders so Hell or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is right up my alley. Somewhat dry, crisp, and perfect for a hot Phoenix, AZ pool day. I don't pick up any of the "Fake, Jolly Rancher Watermelon flavor" other reviewers have mentioned. Tastes like good ol' real watermelon to me. First had this at the 2012 AmeriCAN festival - and now I pick some up whenever I'm traveling to where 21st Amendment distributes.
Well done 21st Amendment. And Thank You!

06-26-2012 15:15:46 | More by KimCox