Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
ridgeline23

06-03-2013 00:43:06 | More by ridgeline23
fishguyac

09-22-2012 00:08:02 | More by fishguyac
tzieser

Arizona

2.85/5  rDev -12.6%

I had this on tap at the pour farm in New Bedford, MA

Pored a typical maco brew looking gold with small yellow fizzy head that turned into nothing. Smelled like a typical macro beer, kinda corny, not much smell. Watermelon obviously.

tastes good if you really enjoy fruit beers. I don't mind fruit beers, but this one just isnt for me. The watermelon tastes like a jolly rancher dipped into a bud light.

Mouthfeel is pretty average.

Drinkability is average because I can't see myself craving these.

overall: I really don't get what all the hype is about. Overrated.

06-30-2009 15:11:23 | More by tzieser
stewart124

3.98/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours a golden yellow color with am inch of white head that didn't linger. Highly visible carbonation.

Slight hints of melon in the nose with a bit of straw. Not quite as much as I anticipated.

The taste is crisp and refreshing with just a touch of sweetness in the back of the throat as it tingles the tastebuds and tongue. This might be the ultimate lawnmower beer! The malt character is of straw and just a light bready character. The wheat might be evident in the medium mouthfeel but there is no haze.

Delicious to say the least. Highly drinkable and easy to put away. I am glad this made it's way over to Ohio.

07-07-2010 01:06:56 | More by stewart124
IronLover

3.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Bought this on a whim while grabbing a few other items at the lolcal bottle shop. Dark orangish in color with a fizzy soda-like had that disappeared quickly. Wheat and yeast aromas with a definite sweet watermelon aroma as well. Syrupy feel with a burst of carbonation in the beginning. Wheat and yeast flavors in the front that taper to sweet watermleon and orange flavors. Much better than I thought it would be. Pretty refreshing and easy to drink on a hot summer day.

08-08-2010 03:11:10 | More by IronLover
Budinetz

01-16-2013 22:55:28 | More by Budinetz
xdefeatsy

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

07-28-2012 18:24:20 | More by xdefeatsy
WYVYRN527

3.53/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can, poured into a pint glass.

This beer pours a hazy straw color with a thin white head that settles very quickly. Lacing is slight around the edges, and carbonation is lively. Aroma is quite tart, with some honey, cracker, and citrus notes. As it warms, a butter popcorn-like smell develops in the background. Flavor is actually quite pleasant. Sweet up front, with wheat notes and hints of honey and biscuit. Tangy watermelon rind and a floral hop character round out the finish.

Hell or High Watermelon is a unique beer in many ways. Not excellent, but not horrible. It's drinkable, and I can see how it could be thirst-quenching on a hot Summer day. I can see what the brewers were trying to achieve, and while it is decent, I think there is room for improvement.

05-20-2011 05:55:10 | More by WYVYRN527
Mistofminn

3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

Got this one at Heritage. I figured, why not? Ed and Tim (again...I can't remember if thats your name or not) told me that this is definitely not the right weather to be drinking this in. Boy were they right.

Poured into a small pint glass, this is a hazy light golden color with a foamy white head. Lively carbonation. Leaves only spots of lacing.

The nose is really really wierd. It's sweet and wheaty, but there is a sort of water-logged watermelon rind. It is a strange combination of wheat and yeast and a light melon smell, that just isn't really melon. It's just strange, not my thing.

The taste is a shock, actually. I had my hopes that this actually tasted like watermelon dashed when the nose told me it wouldn't. But alas, it actually kind of does. It's strange, again, and not necessarily in a good way. Yeasty and wheaty and melony. Again, not really my thing.

Mouthfeel is light with a high carbonation, but it's surprisingly smooth and easy going. Drinkability is good, I can imagine that non-craft beer drinkers would love this stuff. My girlfriend and her mother (not craft-beer drinkers) liked it but both agreed it would be better on a hot summer day.

Overall, not really impressed, but I didn't have to be. This won't color my opinion of the brewery, as it's the only brew I had and I knew what I was getting myself into. I'll try their IPA before I write them off.

11-30-2009 04:58:59 | More by Mistofminn
Boston_Steve

05-14-2014 16:49:26 | More by Boston_Steve
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.88/5  rDev +19%

I, too, must thank Lou91 for this sample. I have been wanting to try this one.

Poured a pale straw color with a touch of cloudiness. Two finger, white head formed and then quickly disappeared. Some light lacing left behind.

Aroma is light. Average wheat beer smell, but with a hint of sweet watermelon. That little wiff of watermelon peaks my curiosity.

The taste follows the same path as the aroma. At first, it seems to be an average wheat beer, but then the watermelon creeps in. Nicely blended between the two. I was worried that it might be too sweet, but it is not. Watermelon aftertaste reminds you that it is a different kind of wheat beer.

Nice, light mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. This would have been an interesting beer to bring to a cookout. I think most people would enjoy it.

10-02-2006 13:38:19 | More by Imstillthegman
woodchip

06-27-2014 23:56:20 | More by woodchip
Risser09

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz can poured into a snifter · Fridge temp · 2008

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with a short lived 1/2" off-white head. Carbonation seems pretty lively, as bubbles cling to the side of the glass. Swirling creates a tiny bit of lace.

Smell: A strong, distinct wheat aroma comes out of the glass. A small watermelon aroma is present.

Taste: A unique blend of Jolly Rancher-esque watermelon flavor blends with a normal wheat flavored beer. The wheat malt makes a nest for the watermelon flavor to be all over the place. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel: A very nice, medium, smooth body is created by the use of wheat, but is corrupted by the cloying sweetness of the watermelon aftertaste. Did I just rot my teeth with a jolly rancher?

Drinknability: Not a great beer, but a great niche beer. I would buy a case of it under 3 conditions: it was cheap, local, and during the summertime. Overall, decent.

12-12-2008 12:54:45 | More by Risser09
kushlash23

Georgia

08-22-2013 15:37:00 | More by kushlash23
Murchmac

look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When you order it at the brewery you get a slice of watermelon in the glass. When you drink it at home, you hear the pop of the can...

Pours a cloudy yellowy orange. If that is a color on the color wheel.

I think it actually smells like vomit. The kind of vomit that is that yellow bile stuff, with a metallic tinge to it. Alcoa vomit from a can.

Tastes better than it smells. Delicate watermelon tastes with some light sweet malt. Good taste.

Kind of a bitter sweet aftertaste.

If this beer were a song, it would be "every rose has its thorn" by Poison. Cheesy, yet memorable. It also gave us Rock of Love 2 and daisy.

08-17-2008 03:43:59 | More by Murchmac

ItsBeer4Me

10-23-2012 23:40:44 | More by ItsBeer4Me
donnebaby

4.1/5  rDev +25.8%

Crisp fresh watermelon nose -- like the mostly neutral smell of watermelon rind, lightly sweet and creamy. Opaque white gold body and a fat haze held up by the pulsing bubble carbonation.

Highly carbonated in the mouth -- almost to the point of club soda carbonation. Decent body, not thin. After of toasty dry cereals. This is certainly on the dry end of hefeweizens -- virtually no sweetness in the mouth. Light hop bitterness way after-the-fact. Complex in its subtlety, the watermelon wheat is clean and soda-like in the mouth and then blends light bitterness, toasty grains, and a small, sweet watermelon candy taste in the after.

I didn't think I liked this brew at first, but it definitely proves itself with subtlety and taste. An excellent pick for a summer seasonal.

06-12-2005 04:22:31 | More by donnebaby

Zetcha7x

07-06-2014 22:05:43 | More by Zetcha7x
everetends

Alabama

12 oz can sent to me thanks to the awesomeness that is Murchmac. Been eying this for two reasons: 1. its in a can 2. its watermelon, yo!
Served up in my Terrapin pint glass.

A: Pours a pretty typical wheat beer color. Has just a touch of haze to it, making it just not quite clear. The color is a nide golden yellow, but held to the light it has more of that faded, macro yellow color. The carbontion activity is pretty bangin with some constant movement. The head off the pour is a nice and pretty pristine white, and that head has a bit more wieght than I was expecting going in. Sadly,the retention isn't the greatest and no really lace to speak of. Just a bit above mediocre here.

S: Smell is basically just a wheat beer. Has some grain notes coming out and mostly. You get a touch of some sweeter wheat bread coming across here. There is a touch of citrus bouncing around in here as well, maybe some lemon. Not really getting any watermelon at all, and this has me a bit scared because this is what I am looking forward to. Overall, just smells like a standard wheat beer.

T: Yet again I am scared a bit starting off. As the sip starts, all I am getting is some wheat beer. Just a nice and slightly sweet wheat coming across along with a touch of lemony hops presence. BUT!!! . . . the finish is where they bring the melon and my happiness. The watermelon is sweet and at times a bit sour. It seems on some sips its just a touch light, and at others it is in your face and is more like a slightly sour watermelon Jolly Rancher. With said, it works. I like it . . . hell, I love it.

M: Light in body with a nice crisp carbonation, and this is good because I imagine that was the intention in creating a thirst quenching summer brew. This beer does have a bit of a drying quality to it that makes you pull a bit more. Aftertaste is all melon and ist awesome.

D: Very drinkable. Would love to have this after a long day of working in the yard in the Alabama summer or at baseball game. The melon is just enough to let you know its there and what is up. The wheat base is nice and probably the perfect vehicle for a watermelon flavored brew. Just a joy to drink and it really puts a smile on my face. Look forward to trading for more from Tim. Thanks again, buddy!

06-10-2009 06:14:44 | More by everetends