Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can purchased as a 6-pack from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into a Sam Adams glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head over the cloudy blonde brew. Head falls promptly, with average lacing. Aroma is earthy and lightly citric, no watermelon I can sense. Taste starts tart and lightly sweet, finally find some watermelon in the middle, and then get back to a wheat close. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, and drinkability is better than average as well. Not sure the wheat and watermelon work that great together, but maybe as a thirst-quencher. We'll see what happens...

ppoitras, Jun 05, 2009

brandoman63, Jan 16, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

John_M, Jun 15, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat actually bears the colour of a golden delicious apple. It has lightly bleached yellow skin and a thin film that imparts a slightly waxy complexion. It is absolutely jammed full with tirelessly energetic bubbles. Although its head appears unsound, it manages to leave a shotgun spray of lace.

The aroma tips you off about this being one juicy flavoured beer. It smells - as one might expect - a little like watermelon and also carries just a hint of bubble gum. It seems like this should be just as (if not, more so) tart than sweet, which is a bit of reassurance. The extra dimension gives me the impression this will be one interesting wheat beer.

I've sampled the beer a few times before tonight but I never remember it tasting *this* much like watermelon! Just imagine biting into a big, fresh, juicy slice of watermelon. What I especially like is that it doesn't have a sugary, sweet synthetic flavouring. Nope, it really does have the authentic, convincing, bona fide taste of watermelon. Yum!

And it's a very good thing too because I can't imagine a light beer flavoured with candy fruit syrup being all that drinkable, except maybe to those in the wine-spritzer/alcopop cooler crowd. Whether it's authenticity, balance or that lovely tart note at the conclusion of each sip, using 400 lbs. of actual watermelon in each batch really pays its dividends.

I remember spending an entire day walking through Rome in the blistering hot Italian August heat. We were tired, sweaty, and dehydrated. When we came upon the sight of a street vendor selling watermelon slices we thought it was a desert mirage. Those slices were heavenly. I don't think anything in that circumstance could have been more refreshing...

So in combining the memory of that particular watermelon - so juicy, so refreshing - with my love of a nice American wheat beer Shaun O'Sullivan has created something that for me has unimaginable drinking potential. I really liked this beer and consider it gimmicky if you want but I maintain it would be a godsend on any hot summer day.

biegaman, Dec 31, 2008

rab53, Nov 20, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A - copper with a reddish tinge; thick, white head; good retention

S - grains, wheat, grass, faint watermelon

T - light watermelon, grains, wheat, grass

M - light bodied, smooth, little carbonation

This is a light, easy drinking beer. It's not very sweet and the watermelon doesn't really shine through. It's drinkability though makes it a refreshing summer beer.

tdm168, May 27, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured a hazy medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was little retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light wheat malt and a bitter green watermelon rind.

The taste consisted of an upfront bitter watermelon rind and a mild wheat spice.

The mouthfeel was light and dry.

Overall a decent summer wheat ale. Not what I was expecting out of a watermelon beer.

plaid75, Jun 24, 2009

dmorgan310, Jul 31, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -27.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. It poured a pale golden color with a thin head that disappeared pretty quickly.

The watermelon is immediately noticeable in it along with some citrus and wheat malts. I also unfortunately get an unpleasant metallic flavor to it.

The taste also shows a lot of the watermelon flavor along with some rind and vegetable like qualities. A little wheat and citrus are there but the watermelon is overwhelming and just not that good.

The mouthfeel is thin with moderate carbonation. Overall, I just didn't care for it. The watermelon was too dominating and just not that great. It seemed to have more of a bitter rind, vegetable like quality to it that I didn't care for. A little metallic as well. Not something I'd want to try again.

billab914, Apr 20, 2012

Kelp, Jul 29, 2013
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a lemon-gold with a bright white fluffy 1 finger head that settled to a polished surface rather quickly with no lacing. A light display of effervesce, with an overall appearance of decent.

S: fruity with fresh watermelon and raspberries. Surprised here, was expecting an overkill of artificial flavoring but was rater quite subdued with a freshness of real watermelon. There is a bit of sugary orange juice (sunny d) as well as noticeable soft fresh wheat coming through. The scent was rather light to medium in strength and disappointing at first, but soon came to appreciate its subtleness and fresh fruity unique nature the more I explored it.

T: The flavor delivered some sunny d orange juice notes as well dominant watermelon flavors that quenched the tongue. Once again was expecting an overkill of artificial watermelon and fruit bomb similar to a wine cooler but the overall flavor came off very subdued and fresh against a pale wheat backing. Crisp, refreshing and fruity with just enough watermelon presence to make you appreciate it without becoming overbearing like many other fruit beers. The finish find a soft tartness of light orange juice along as a soft floral hopping. Overall was quite impressed on how this was pulled off, not an easy thing to do. The wheat malting takes a back seat to the fruity watermelon nature but still contributes more then the average fruit beer.

M: a medium viscosity, smooth with just a tingle of carbonation detected. Sadly it was just ok though in comparison to the rest of the drink coming of just average.

D: Would give this a decent drinkability factor rating here. Soft fruity nature with a decent crispness lends its way to a decent summer picnic quencher. The balance lets just enough of the wheat malting come through while the fruity watermelon taste comes through but never overstays its welcome. Good for several at a time like I said as a summer picnic quencher or tweener beer to beat the heat and something unique with a twist flavorwise.

beerthulhu, Jul 23, 2009

sendbeer, Oct 22, 2012

iL0VEbeer, Apr 03, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Greg Cock for the sample.

Pours a lightly hazed golden amber, thick white head forms, thick ring around the glass, some decent lacing sticking around, good retention, looks nice. Smell is neat, very fruity, honey sweetness, watermelon seeds, orange peel, kind of biscuity and toasty, nice and refreshing aroma. Taste is pretty watermelon seedy, biscuity and toasty, wheat, lemon tartness, honey, very fresh fruitiness, some melons, pretty good. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, very refreshing if a little bland, but would be great in the summer.

Viggo, Jan 31, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +17%

12oz can from numbeercruncher.... a complete unexpected extra.. Thanks a bunch Matt.

It's been a loonng week at work.. and I want something not too complex.. more refreshing.. Let's hope the Watermelon Wheat Works. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

1" head.. minimal lacing... descent cap though.. brew is glowing straw gold when held to a light...

There is definitely some watermelon in there.. sorta funky.. not in a bad way.. just not great.. some spiciness... the fruitiness reminds me of when you get to close to the rind when eating watermelon..

3/3.5/4/4/4
The flavor has a much bigger watermelon essence.. much better than the nose.. the aroma sorta smells too "rotting watermelon".. the palate is a nice burst of watermelon "jolly rancher".. that is waaaay too much of an overstatement.. but the fruit essence is there and somehow still makes me think of fresh fruit.. it's not sweet... in fact.. the finish is fairly dry with an unexpected melon finale. sorta grainy throughout.. but that lends to the bigger picture and lingering fruity finish.. really pretty good.. I like it... That said, I can't imagine ever wanting more than one in a sitting... or probably even a week. If I had this available, i would certainly give it in a nice glass to my non beer drinking friends and say, "Come on.. this is good... I know you like it... just admit it"... Lite body and good carbonation would make this a very nice lawn mowing brew...

Numbeercruncher is certainly one of the most generous traders I've ever had the opportunity of doing business with... Matt... thanks again...

JohnGalt1, Dec 05, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

Hazed sun yellow boddy. Thin fluffy white head. Sporadic lace coats the glass in patches as I drink. Aroma is sweet, bright and melony. Interesting flavor, though it's not my thing. This is the first watermelon beer I've tried and may be the last. I don't get any real specific watermelon flavor other than a juicy sweetness. The wheat base is very average. Nothing really stands out here. Could drink some of these in summer if nothing else was available.

Bighuge, Nov 22, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +14%

12 ounce can poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden orange color with an initial fluffy white head. The dissipation was rather quick but it did retain a thin foam cap and ring. Lacing is on the weak side.

S: Grain, lemon zest, a bit musky with an overall citrus forward nose. It's nothing overpowering at all but nothing is off putting. I wish there were more aromas of watermelon coming through in the nose but I couldn't find anything of the sort.

T: Wheat, watermelon comes through quite nicely on the first sip and it does taste quite natural which I wasn't expecting. It's not overly sweet or artificial tasting by any means, which I enjoy. Subsequent sips do lose the watermelon flavor but it retains a bit of itself as your palate adjusts. Some bready malt notes come out in the finish as does just a hint of tartness from the fruit flavors. A lot better than I expected.

M: Very bubbly, well-carbonated, honestly this is how I like wheat-esque beers to be. Again, nicely done.

This beer is a unique take on a wheat-centric beer by adding watermelon, something of which I've never seen done before. And it works quite well. Nothing seems overpowering but the aromas could use some work, as could the flavor profile in the taste. I'd like to see the watermelon stay relevant throughout, but a nice base for a flavored wheat beer.

ShanePB, Jun 30, 2011

PEIhop, Nov 21, 2011

rolltide8425, Jul 11, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +21%

Poured from a can into a weisse vase, the beer is a cloudy, opaque, pale yellow-gold coloring with no head whatsoever. Aromas of tangy sweet watermelon and toasted grains. Flavors are light and sweet, with a strong watermelon character on the forward tongue that gives you a sugary tart profile atop the toasted grain backbone. The aftertaste is light and quick, with a strong watermelon character and tangy feel. Crisp, light finish. This beer is very easy to drink, and great on a hot day. Also goes well with a wedge of watermelon, as we originally had it at 21st Amendment in SanFran.

GarthDanielson, Apr 18, 2012

harpus, Aug 04, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from can into 10oz glass. Poured a cloudy, hazy yellow with over an inch of white head that almost instantly disappeared and left no trace of having existed.

Typical wheat beer aroma except for the watermelon scent. Same for the taste, there's not much behind the fruit.

The body was typical for a wheat beer, perhaps slightly thin. The drinkability took a penalty for the sticky sweetness. Overall, not a bad beer, I could see throwing a few cans in the cooler for a day tubing on the Nooksack, but this isn't something I'll drink regularly.

beertunes, Aug 09, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

A lightly hazy, pale orange colored beer with a smallish white head. Retention and lace on the low side, but still not a bad looking beer. Aroma has a definite touch of watermelon, as well as lightly sweet malt, wheat, graininess.

The flavor is a bit disappointing; the watermelon presence is much lower than I’d hoped, kind of subtle and bland, with more generic grainy wheat and an out of place bitterness in the finish. A touch of bready malt flavor as well.

Medium-light bodied, with lively carbonation, fairly crisp and refreshing. Overall, however, I don’t think I’d buy this one again; the easy drinking quenching appeal of this beer is overshadowed by an unbalanced and lackluster flavor.

tobelerone, Apr 26, 2012