Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Lob

3.75/5  rDev +15%

05-19-2012 22:34:15 | More by standardcherry
davednyc

4.18/5  rDev +28.2%

A - Pours a clouded golden-yellow, nice effervescence, and a slight head that disappears right away.

S - A gentle, slight aroma. Nothing particular of note.

T - The watermelon does come through. Somebody had mentioned that they thought they could discern watermelon rind, rather than the actual fruit. Interesting, and I could definitely see where they were coming from. Oddly, rind or not, it definitely works nicely.

M - Nice effervescence. Light on the palate.

O - Definitely a nice summer brew. Refreshing, and relatively low on the ABV, allows one to kick a few of back beneath the sun.

05-19-2012 22:26:54 | More by davednyc
fiedler84

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

05-19-2012 02:56:35 | More by fiedler84
suspect

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: Mostly clear pale golden color. Mildly aggressive pour leads to a fizzy one finger head that disappears almost immediately. No lacing to speak of.

S: Not a lot going on in the nose. Some grain, some sweet malts and perhaps a touch of fruit but overall, no real hop notes to speak of.

T: Wow, the watermelon really shines through in the flavor. It really tastes like beer perfectly infused with the perfect amount of watermelon. Some sweetness from the grain but man, the watermelon is really wonderful. Sweet, then perfectly tart.

M: A touch thin, good carbonation.

O: A really interesting beer. I wasn't overly impressed but man, the watermelon really is something. Overall, a pretty good beer but I think I could only really have one or two.

05-19-2012 02:21:06 | More by suspect
wedge

1.3/5  rDev -60.1%

Hazy yellow gold with a white head. The aroma instantly filled me with a sense of "I've made a huge mistake". Both the smell and the flavor shared similar qualities, but at least there was a hint of watermelon sweetness in the nose. The main characteristic though - and I'm being very serious - was that it reminded me of vomit. It took me a little while to figure out exactly what was disturbing me so much with each sip (bile isn't usually one of the first descriptors my brain searches for when drinking a beer). Other things that came to mind: corn, butterscotch, pumpkin, yogurt...just sour, weird, and wholly unpleasant. Admittedly, I've never been a huge fan of watermelon, though "watermelon flavored" candy is perfectly acceptable and even enjoyable when I come across it. There was pretty much nothing in that can that made me think "watermelon".

Very rare is the occasion where I cannot finish a beer, but I had to move on after about half. I'm surprised I made it that far, my friend and I trading various upsetting facial expressions, choking it down trying to figure out exactly what was going on with this beer. Vomit. It reminded me of vomit. Vile, repulsive stuff...

05-18-2012 14:22:33 | More by wedge

meredithcook87

05-16-2012 23:06:50 | More by meredithcook87
alk3kenny

Georgia

Got this on a recommendation of a friend and decided to pick some up try it and drop a review on it... Pours a hazy, golden color head is thin, white, bubbly and gone very quickly... Smell is of a standard beer variety with a slight sweetness. Would not pick out watermelon here if it wasn't on the can... Taste is not very pleasant slightly sour but not much there really... Again in searching for the watermelon flavor I liken it to a watermelon that just never got sweet... Guess that can be expected from a fruit that can either be really great or really uneventful... Was kinda surprised because previous reviews had mentioned an artificial flavor of watermelon and I just don't taste it... Might actually make it more enjoyable. Canned in 4/12 for not very old either only like 3 weeks. Can't say I'll be going back for this one.

05-16-2012 22:58:23 | More by alk3kenny
pearljam118

05-16-2012 00:01:23 | More by pearljam118
mfavoino

Washington

2.9/5  rDev -11%

Canned on 3/26/12.

Appearance: Hazy yellow color with a small fizzy head that receded quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Wheat backbone, citrus, and not much else.

Taste: Distinct watermelon up front. Kind of a generic "light" beer taste otherwise.

Mouthfeel: Light body, lots of carbonation, and crisp.

Overall: Not for everyone, but it is as advertised. If the watermelon flavor appeals to you, it might be worth having a can on a hot day.

05-14-2012 23:52:46 | More by mfavoino
facundoCNB

4.18/5  rDev +28.2%

straw yellow clear pour with 2 fingers head that quickly disappeared. looks like they got a way cooler can design too, last one i had was white with a watermelon drawn on and i think neon letters. smells more of honeydew melon/cantaloupe than watermelon! a hint of citrus, slightly bready smell. taste is a little weaker than i remember, again - a bit sweeter than watermelon.. hints of honey, bready.. melon, obviously! best tasting fruity wheat beer i've had (nothing has changed since i had it last in ..2009? i think). light bodied, moderately carbonated.. nothing special here.

overall it is a very nice summer beer.. refreshing, crisp, sweet.. perfect for session drinking, mowing the lawn, lounging around getting sunburn on the lawn.

05-14-2012 23:14:47 | More by facundoCNB
ExtraStout

A "gift" from my son. Pours a very hazy yellow color with a white head and soda like carbonation. This beer was absolutely disgusting. It smelt like puke!! I checked the can date and it was only 5 weeks old so that wasn’t it.

I thought about just dumping it but it was all I had so after thinking long and hard, I remembered that if you hold your nose you can’t really taste what is in your mouth. It worked, I got it down fast. This is nasty shit!! I wish I could rate it even lower.

05-14-2012 22:53:00 | More by ExtraStout
fehrminator

05-14-2012 19:56:05 | More by fehrminator
javi10653

3.75/5  rDev +15%

05-14-2012 17:57:21 | More by javi10653
JimKal

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

I picked this up because I've enjoyed other offerings from 21st Amendment and it looked intriguing. I poured it from a can into a hefeweisen glass. It pours with one of those great wheat beer magnificent heads. A bit of the head lingers throughout the beer.

You can definitely pick up the watermelon in the aroma.

I had trouble rating the taste. It does deliver on what it promises. I now know I'm not a fan of watermelon in my beer. But, if that is appealing to you, this one delivers it.

Delivers typical mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

I'm glad I tried it. It delivers as promised but this won't be repeat for me. I'll finish the six pack as this meets my summer profile of preferring lighter brews.

05-14-2012 12:08:13 | More by JimKal
yuenglings

4.45/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went in to the beer store to buy my wife a case of the new blue moon summer honey wheat or what ever it was and came across this melon wheat beer i just had to get it and hope she liked it well she didn't like it!... she LOVED it and so did I.

At first i opened the can poured it in to a glass and right off the bat ya can smell melon rind. I thought o no this is going to be bad but as it turned out this is my new best summer beer.

05-13-2012 22:46:55 | More by yuenglings
VncentLIFE

3.28/5  rDev +0.6%

4 straight from a can. here we go!

Pour is a cloudy yellow. aggressive pour produced over an inch of head that dissipates into a ring of head. I wanna call it a Wit badly.

The smell is, just, no. Corn everywhere. NO.

Now the taste is odd, very odd. Corn and watermelon. I never thought id like it, but I really do. If it didnt smell like hell, Itd be perfect. Theres a nice balance of fruitiness from the watermelon but a definite beer base. Interesting to say the least.

05-12-2012 23:51:53 | More by VncentLIFE