Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

JustinMatthew, Jul 21, 2012

Dromeda, Jul 17, 2012

IPAFrankieH, Jul 17, 2012

J_Beloved, Jul 17, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

I'm reviewing this based on memory, so please bear with me, as I do not have tasting notes.

It was a hot night at the bar, and I was in the mood for something light and refreshing to chase away the cloying heat of the place. this pale yet flavorful beer was thoroughly enjoyable and was just what the doctor ordered to chase away the uncomfortable warmth of the place.

This was not the first watermelon wheat beer I had consumed, there was another I had enjoyed the previous summer that drew me to choose this instead of one of the other available options. Don't expect it totaste strongly of watermelon - I only moticed melon flavors in the aftertaste, as up front you mostly we treated to a light, wheaty flavor.

Definitely a nice treat for a hot day, and now that I know that I can get it in cans, it'll likely come with me to the next BBQ I attend.

sakana, Jul 16, 2012

dmasuda, Jul 16, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

Looks very nice. Good lacing and pours bubbly. The smell and taste are overwhelmingly "fake" watermelon, less like the melon and more like a jolly rancher. Going down it comes off way too sweet and does not leave a nice aftertaste.

I would not get this again.

kimbo33, Jul 16, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

goblue3509, Jul 15, 2012
3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a can into a tumbler glass creating a two finger head that dissolved within a minute.

Appearance: Cloudy yellowish hue.

Aroma: Starts out average beer smell, yeasty like the odor of a bar. The watermelon comes in the end but you really have to search for it. If I didn't know this beer was brewed with watermelons I wouldn't have guessed from the aroma.

Taste: A typical wheat beer taste with a slight twist. The watermelon flavor starts as the bitterness of the rind, but transforms into a bit of sweetness near the end. Not your average 'fruity pebbles' type taste that comes from many fruit beers. However, in some ways the bitterness of the hops do not mix completely well with the watermelon's sweetness. Instead it feels a little like they are competing for your tongue's attention with neither winning.

Mouthfeel: I used a pretty aggressive pouring method to rid the beer of some of it's carbonation but it still drinks like a soda. Though, that is not completely bad as it makes it pretty refreshing. The drinkability is also pretty high on this one.

Final Thoughts: This was an average beer. I could see myself having it again at a backyard BBQ or summer get together. As far as summer seasonal's go, it's better than most. It's just complex enough to make it interesting, but not near enough to make it exceptional.

JamesMN, Jul 15, 2012

Theorganizer81, Jul 11, 2012

Jamstone714, Jul 11, 2012

rolltide8425, Jul 11, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +17%

A: Light peach color and fully opaque even against the light. 2-finger head reduces to 1/2 finger quite quickly and then a bit slower to just a ring around the glass. I find it a very good-looking beer.

S: Wheat, with a fresh-cut quality to it. A hint of spice.

T: Very good, you can taste the melon, but it is not overdone. After the hit of melon, there is a brief bitter bite and then it fades with wheaty sweetness. The first few sips reminded of me of watermelon rind, but I cannot detect this after a while.

M: Refreshing and light, carbonation is a bit too low perhaps - I find it OK to overdo it with the bubbles in a summer beer.

O: Borderline between 3.5 and 4 for me, but I think in the end this is one of the few fruit-based brews that I can finish a six-pack of. Bonus points for not being a berry of some kind.

Atev, Jul 10, 2012