Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,067 | Reviews: 630

2.08/5  rDev -37%

Got this on a recommendation of a friend and decided to pick some up try it and drop a review on it... Pours a hazy, golden color head is thin, white, bubbly and gone very quickly... Smell is of a standard beer variety with a slight sweetness. Would not pick out watermelon here if it wasn't on the can... Taste is not very pleasant slightly sour but not much there really... Again in searching for the watermelon flavor I liken it to a watermelon that just never got sweet... Guess that can be expected from a fruit that can either be really great or really uneventful... Was kinda surprised because previous reviews had mentioned an artificial flavor of watermelon and I just don't taste it... Might actually make it more enjoyable. Canned in 4/12 for not very old either only like 3 weeks. Can't say I'll be going back for this one.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

Canned on 3/26/12.

Appearance: Hazy yellow color with a small fizzy head that receded quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Wheat backbone, citrus, and not much else.

Taste: Distinct watermelon up front. Kind of a generic "light" beer taste otherwise.

Mouthfeel: Light body, lots of carbonation, and crisp.

Overall: Not for everyone, but it is as advertised. If the watermelon flavor appeals to you, it might be worth having a can on a hot day.

4.15/5  rDev +25.8%

straw yellow clear pour with 2 fingers head that quickly disappeared. looks like they got a way cooler can design too, last one i had was white with a watermelon drawn on and i think neon letters. smells more of honeydew melon/cantaloupe than watermelon! a hint of citrus, slightly bready smell. taste is a little weaker than i remember, again - a bit sweeter than watermelon.. hints of honey, bready.. melon, obviously! best tasting fruity wheat beer i've had (nothing has changed since i had it last in ..2009? i think). light bodied, moderately carbonated.. nothing special here.

overall it is a very nice summer beer.. refreshing, crisp, sweet.. perfect for session drinking, mowing the lawn, lounging around getting sunburn on the lawn.

A "gift" from my son. Pours a very hazy yellow color with a white head and soda like carbonation. This beer was absolutely disgusting. It smelt like puke!! I checked the can date and it was only 5 weeks old so that wasn’t it.

I thought about just dumping it but it was all I had so after thinking long and hard, I remembered that if you hold your nose you can’t really taste what is in your mouth. It worked, I got it down fast. This is nasty shit!! I wish I could rate it even lower.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

I picked this up because I've enjoyed other offerings from 21st Amendment and it looked intriguing. I poured it from a can into a hefeweisen glass. It pours with one of those great wheat beer magnificent heads. A bit of the head lingers throughout the beer.

You can definitely pick up the watermelon in the aroma.

I had trouble rating the taste. It does deliver on what it promises. I now know I'm not a fan of watermelon in my beer. But, if that is appealing to you, this one delivers it.

Delivers typical mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

I'm glad I tried it. It delivers as promised but this won't be repeat for me. I'll finish the six pack as this meets my summer profile of preferring lighter brews.

4.44/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went in to the beer store to buy my wife a case of the new blue moon summer honey wheat or what ever it was and came across this melon wheat beer i just had to get it and hope she liked it well she didn't like it!... she LOVED it and so did I.

At first i opened the can poured it in to a glass and right off the bat ya can smell melon rind. I thought o no this is going to be bad but as it turned out this is my new best summer beer.

3.17/5  rDev -3.9%

4 straight from a can. here we go!

Pour is a cloudy yellow. aggressive pour produced over an inch of head that dissipates into a ring of head. I wanna call it a Wit badly.

The smell is, just, no. Corn everywhere. NO.

Now the taste is odd, very odd. Corn and watermelon. I never thought id like it, but I really do. If it didnt smell like hell, Itd be perfect. Theres a nice balance of fruitiness from the watermelon but a definite beer base. Interesting to say the least.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

3.55/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz can into hardywood tulip. canned on 03/26/12.

A: hazy pale yellow. tiny carbonation bubbles can be seen lazily rising towards the surface. head is bright white and quickly dies to a rim of retention. no lacing.

S: lemon. watermelon. wheat.

T: watermelon jolly ranchers right off the bat. a lingering vanilla-like sweetness. finish is almost non-existent with maybe a tiny touch of sugary sweetness.

M: low/average carbonation on a very light body.

D: this would certainly make for some tasty outside summer drinking beer. i would also imagine that it works well with a watermelon summer salad. the watermelon flavor is neat, but wouldnt hate for some more body to back it.

2.82/5  rDev -14.5%

Canned 3/26/12 if that matters.

A: Pours a lightly cloudy light golden with a very fizzy and short lived white head that quickly faded into nothingness leaving no lace. Very soda-like looking carbonation.
S: I get pale notes of cracked wheat with sweeter hints of perfume-like fruit. The nose is light, crispy, and slightly synthetic.
T: A hint of watermelon pokes through light notes of grains and wheat, but it’s really more an essence or suggestion of fruit rather than an in-your-face watermelon experience. The finish is very crackery and the aftertaste is quick and forgetful. There’s something that reminds me of vegetable stew in there as well, although it’s in the background.
M: Carbonation is definitely overly fizzy and sharp like drinking a soda. Once it dies down in my mouth the body is medium but the mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and greasy.
O: Not terrible but not the most appealing beer out there. I cold with a meal maybe, but I don’t need to drink this again.

1.62/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Very unappealing partially cloudy gray gold. Went immediately flat.
S - Hint of the watermelon, otherwise not a whole lot.
T - Watermelon prevalent at finish, but tastes artificial. As the beer aired and warmed the taste really turned south.
M - Thin, very watery, almost no body.
O - Worst beer I've had in a while. I'd like to say its the watermelon but honestly feel it is just a poor quality beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery