Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 673 | Hads: 2,385
3.42/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden color and is topped with an inch of white head that disappears very quickly.
Smell: The aroma of this beer is just what I expect and nice wheat aroma and is followed by a hint of sweet smelling watermelon aroma.
Taste: I don’t taste the watermelon but I really didn’t expect to as fragile as a watermelon flavor is. This is a very tasty wheat beer with a solid wheat malt base no hops and maybe a hint of the watermelon flavor but not much.
Mouthfeel: This is a very light bodied and easy drinking summer brew that may not stand out in a crowd but is a good beer for a day at the lake. (648 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +16.5%

Watermelon beer? What will they think of next? Very little head that lasted a very short time. I, personally, could not detect any discernible smell. However, the taste was exactly as advertised by the name. Resheshing, crisp watermelon dominates. I like its uniqueness. Hey, does drinking this count as a serving of fruit?!? (325 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap for the 4th Anniversary event at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of wheat, grain, yeast, spices, and some slightly fruit (but not watermelon) aromas. Taste is much the same with a very mild watermelon flavor on the finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is refreshing but the watermelon presence is mild and hard to pick out in my opinion. (590 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can shaker pint, canned on 7/9/12

A: light hazy yellow, with 1.5 finger light white head, recedes slowly, leaves a slight ring. No lacing. Cloudy as I expected
S: light corn/adjunct, a bready sweetness,maybe a light watermelon presence. Not much going on though.

T: wheat, slight adjunct taste, a sweet malt and a slight watermelon taste. Not overpowering, refreshing, and pretty tasty. My expectations were low, but it's pretty nice.

M: nice smoothness from the wheat malt, carbonation is nice, it has a sweet finish. Its not offputting and actually kinda nice.

O: I expected a lackluster,light bodied, overly fruity, overly sweet beer and what I got Was a decent summer beer. Would buy again for the pool or the beach. (730 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can refrigerator cold into a generic chalice.

A - Vigorous pour produces a nice 2 fingers of head, quickly recedes to a ring, and after a while recedes to nothing. The beer itself is a nice hazy light gold color. Looks good at first, although the lack of retention is a definite downer.

S - Not much here. Smells like a wheat beer, with a nebulous fruit odor. Of course the label tells me it's watermelon, but as watermelon doesn't have much of a smell, that doesn't add much. Not all that pleasant of an aroma, to be honest.

T - The label doesn't lie, this has a ton of watermelon flavor, although it detracts from the wheat beer experience. The beer gets points for having a ton of fruit flavor while not overwhelming with cloying sweetness, or even being sweeter than a typical wheat beer. It loses points because the watermelon overwhelms the wheat, and instead of accentuating the beer, takes it over. Nevertheless, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, since this was likely intentional. Not bad.

M - Light, probably because of whatever process infuses it with watermelon flavor. Not as much body as I'd like to see in a wheat beer, nor is there as much carbonation. Falls short on the feel.

O - Since I think they are trying to replicate the experience of biting into a piece of watermelon, as that's exactly what this tastes like, it's not bad. But as an actual wheat beer, it's not very good. I don't mind fruit in beer, but this is more beer trying to taste like fruit, than it is fruit trying to accentuate the flavors of a beer. I'll give it points for being refreshing, and having a rather nice watermelon flavor, but it's not something I would reach for if I wanted a beer. (1,710 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cloudy pale gold fluid with a white head that fades quickly leaving no real lace. Smell is wheaty with good amounts of twang and yeast fruitiness. A dry crisp cereal graininess. Flavor is just short of the next score for me. Full bodied wheat core with a perfect amount of watermelon. Juicy body and a dry tart finish that makes it a superb quencher. Finish has a bit of rind and artful hop balance that is mild yet firm. This beer is actually a delicately complex brew. Crisp feel is gently carbonated lending to a great drinkability and refreshing character. One of my new summer favorites and a good choice for the adventurous and open palate. (646 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -17.7%

Very aromatic smell of watermelon and pungent "beer" smell.
Tasted good with normal wheat beer taste up front followed by the watermelon flavor. Leaves not so good aftertaste in your mouth. Below average fruit beer. Seems too artificial. (238 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +4.6%

Fizzy head over hazy orange body that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Smells of watermelon (both real and artificial), captain crunch with crunch berries, granola, pear, and a little lemony-thyme bitterness.

Nose confirms taste.

Mouthfeels is good, maybe a little heavy for a summer lawnmower beer.

This is so much better than last year's can that I had. The cooked vegetable isn't even a memory. I would like this to have a little more interesting hop profile - just a bit of nobles, maybe. But for what it is I'm very impressed. (548 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz can into no nic pint glass

A - hazy lite yellow with little to no head.

S - watermelon is only apparent with some effort. Overall weak wheat flavor with a tease of melon.

T - again weak wheat base with a tease of melon. With it were more pronounced to be something different. Just not much going on here. Easy to drink but forgettable.

M - light bodied and easy drinking. Finishes as easy as you would expect for such a weak beer.

O - not horrible but not special by any means. Almost interesting enough to seek out but I don't think I'll be having another. At best a novelty but not enough character to be good one. (630 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -18%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with no head.

The aroma is very weak, the wheat comes through but you only catch a faint note of watermelon. After some time the watermelon emerges to be more identifiable. The taste is light and crisp, at which time the watermelon is the star player. Toward the end of drinking the wheat can comes through. Not much of a mouthfeel but really tasty for the summer days. Watermelon is present but not overpowering. It adds to the crispness, offering a little bite.

Recommendable for the summer months. (536 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm reviewing this based on memory, so please bear with me, as I do not have tasting notes.

It was a hot night at the bar, and I was in the mood for something light and refreshing to chase away the cloying heat of the place. this pale yet flavorful beer was thoroughly enjoyable and was just what the doctor ordered to chase away the uncomfortable warmth of the place.

This was not the first watermelon wheat beer I had consumed, there was another I had enjoyed the previous summer that drew me to choose this instead of one of the other available options. Don't expect it totaste strongly of watermelon - I only moticed melon flavors in the aftertaste, as up front you mostly we treated to a light, wheaty flavor.

Definitely a nice treat for a hot day, and now that I know that I can get it in cans, it'll likely come with me to the next BBQ I attend. (855 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -36.7%

Looks very nice. Good lacing and pours bubbly. The smell and taste are overwhelmingly "fake" watermelon, less like the melon and more like a jolly rancher. Going down it comes off way too sweet and does not leave a nice aftertaste.

I would not get this again. (261 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a can into a tumbler glass creating a two finger head that dissolved within a minute.

Appearance: Cloudy yellowish hue.

Aroma: Starts out average beer smell, yeasty like the odor of a bar. The watermelon comes in the end but you really have to search for it. If I didn't know this beer was brewed with watermelons I wouldn't have guessed from the aroma.

Taste: A typical wheat beer taste with a slight twist. The watermelon flavor starts as the bitterness of the rind, but transforms into a bit of sweetness near the end. Not your average 'fruity pebbles' type taste that comes from many fruit beers. However, in some ways the bitterness of the hops do not mix completely well with the watermelon's sweetness. Instead it feels a little like they are competing for your tongue's attention with neither winning.

Mouthfeel: I used a pretty aggressive pouring method to rid the beer of some of it's carbonation but it still drinks like a soda. Though, that is not completely bad as it makes it pretty refreshing. The drinkability is also pretty high on this one.

Final Thoughts: This was an average beer. I could see myself having it again at a backyard BBQ or summer get together. As far as summer seasonal's go, it's better than most. It's just complex enough to make it interesting, but not near enough to make it exceptional. (1,344 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Light peach color and fully opaque even against the light. 2-finger head reduces to 1/2 finger quite quickly and then a bit slower to just a ring around the glass. I find it a very good-looking beer.

S: Wheat, with a fresh-cut quality to it. A hint of spice.

T: Very good, you can taste the melon, but it is not overdone. After the hit of melon, there is a brief bitter bite and then it fades with wheaty sweetness. The first few sips reminded of me of watermelon rind, but I cannot detect this after a while.

M: Refreshing and light, carbonation is a bit too low perhaps - I find it OK to overdo it with the bubbles in a summer beer.

O: Borderline between 3.5 and 4 for me, but I think in the end this is one of the few fruit-based brews that I can finish a six-pack of. Bonus points for not being a berry of some kind. (827 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Good looking beer. Cloudy yellow body with one finger head, little lacing.

S: Not much here. Wheat and some spice. I cannot detect any watermelon

T: Watermelon does come through, but tastes quite artificial. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It kind of tastes like watermelon candy. You can also taste the wheat, malt, and some pepper or spice.

M: Light body (could be a tad bit thicker), and a bit flat, imo.

O: Refreshing. Decent summer beer, but that's about it. (475 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A - Soft golden, yellow with a small white head, especially for a wheat beer. Appears to have a thin body

S - Watermelon jolly rancher, soft wheat, light bubblegum and clove. Smells like what you'd expect for a watermelon wheat beer

T - Light watermelon is the first flavor you get. There are hints of the normal wheat beer as weel as you get hints of clove and bubblegum. Near the finish, there are hints of wheat as well as the watermelon that comes back. I like how they incorporated the watermelon to add flavor but still having the wheat beer behind it.

MF - Lightly carbonated and a bit light and watery on the body. Finish has some light carbonation that comes through. The lack of carbonation makes the body thin overall.

O - I love how they incorporated the watermelon into the beer and it fits perfectly. It is a nice summer, wheat beer. However, I do wish it had a bit more carbonation and body to it which make this one of the better wheat beers out there. Happy to see the experimentation with the new fruit flavors and I think it pays off. (1,095 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from Can into Sam Adams Pint Glass

A: Golden yellow color with lots of carbonation. Very short head that dissolved quickly into near nothingness.

S: Detect the wheat in the smell, but it is very mild, no detection of watermelon.

T:Starts out very mild, then the watermelon taste rushes in. Finishes tart on the back of the tongue, watermelon taste disappears quickly.

M: Very thin, lots of carbonation lingers.

O: Better than other watermelon beers I have tasted, but still strange to taste watermelon in my beer! (525 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

Hazy light amber color. Overpoured, and the meager head didn't hold. 3.0

Wheat malts and some lemony tang. Almost buttery in its aroma. 3.0

Phenolic watermelon and buttered popcorn. Slight artificial strawberry character. Weak wheat malts. Goofy flavors. 2.5

Really effervescent. The body is forgettable. 2.5

Average fruit wheat. Not boring, just faulty execution. 3.0 (372 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -7%

A little less than a finger’s worth of gossamer white bubbles, not quite foam, dissipates to basically nothing across the surface, no lacing either. Hazy deep yellow colored liquid, holds light inside well, few bubbles, loosely aggregated, nothing leaps out at you visually. The nose is soft and gentle, wheat cereal, biscuit and, duh, sweet watermelon scents, you get lemon juice as well, ends with an earthy and herbal muskiness which is actually welcome for how it broadens the texture and creates contrast against the fruit. Medium-bodied with fluffy carbonation, has some residual prickle through the finish. The watermelon flavoring is not excessively strong, kind of floats through the mouth. There’s a metallic undercurrent more than wheat or bread, although there’s an adequate amount of the latter. Sour lemon to orange citrus brings added refreshing qualities. At times you might find a spoonful of molasses. Nothing here really distinguishes it but it’s unflawed, not entirely without appeal. (1,012 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +36.7%

I've only been drinking craft beer for about 2.5 years and I know that everyone's palate is different but I really enjoy this beer! I don't enjoy sweet, syrupy, fruity beers/ciders so Hell or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is right up my alley. Somewhat dry, crisp, and perfect for a hot Phoenix, AZ pool day. I don't pick up any of the "Fake, Jolly Rancher Watermelon flavor" other reviewers have mentioned. Tastes like good ol' real watermelon to me. First had this at the 2012 AmeriCAN festival - and now I pick some up whenever I'm traveling to where 21st Amendment distributes.
Well done 21st Amendment. And Thank You! (619 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -18%

12 ounce can purchased at Brews Bros in Mt Lebanon, PA.

Smell: Maybe a tine of watermelon. Some lemon

Taste: Fake watermelon. No doubt. Definitely not real watermelon. Not sure if there is any other flavors in there. Maybe this is Miller Lite with some fake watermelon flavoring?

Mouthfeel: Nice body, goes down smooth. Could drink these on a hot summer day if there was nothing else around.

Overall: I'm still searching for a quality fruit beer. Not sure if I'll ever find a real good one. But for some reason, I keep trying. Somebody please stop me. (556 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Served in a can at Cork City in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a lightly hazy pale straw yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a thin fizzy off-white head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass.

S: The aroma of this beer is mild but you can definitely detect the smell of watermelon and wheat.

T: The watermelon flavor stands out more in the taste than the smell but there is also a decent wheat body. I like the fact that the watermelon flavor is not artificial or overly sweet.

M: Light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: Certainly the best watermelon beer that I have tried as it is not overly sweet and does not taste like a Jolly Rancher. The beer is easy to drink and refreshing but I'm not sure it would be a sessionable beer for me (just not a flavor profile that I loved). Would be good on a real hop summer day. (982 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -48.6%

12 oz can, dated 3/26/12. It was poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

Hell or High Watermelon poursa somewhat hazy golden yellow. Three or so fingers of white foam cap the beer, but it all fades quickly and quietly. The nose has a bit of a Jolly Rancher watermelon type aroma to it, but there's also another smell that I can't quite place, but it definitely doesn't belong. This is quite simply the worst beer I've ever tasted. The flavor is what I'd imagine it would taste like if you let the leftover milk from a bowl of cereal sit out for a day and then tried to drink it. The body has a weird creaminess to it, only highlighting the awful taste. The carbonation is on the low side. If I ever did a video review of Hell or High Watermelon, it would probably end up a bit like the "I award you zero points, may God have mercy on your soul" speech from Billy Madison. (867 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -16.8%

12oz can served in a standard shaker pint.

pours a cloudy, dull yellow tone while yielding a 3/4" spritzy head that vanishes almost instantly. no lacing to speak of. nose is 'meh'... maybe even a notch below. definitely wheaty/grainy with maybe a bit of citrus. not really getting much watermelon, a bit in the background.

flavor is an improvement, albeit a mild one. wheaty; watermelon is much more evident, and tastes authentic - as i was braced for some artificial jolly rancher like watermelon flavor. not a whole lot going on beyond that. mouthfeel is fine, medium-light bodied with average carbonation.

overall this is not one i'll be looking to revisit. inoffensive and some decent qualities to it, but nothing to write home about - or go out of one's way to acquire. i might buy it to diversify my beer menu at a cookout, but that's about it.

(originally reviewed: 07-06-2011) (889 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

A: tan/orange, light white head, little lacing

S: grassy, green veg, light malt.

T: big grassy/green veg taste, mild watermelon
hint of malt

M: light/med body, crisp mouth

O: Didn't know what to expect from this
brew; love the brewery but not a fan
of this beer.

NO THANKS, PASS ON THIS ONE! (298 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery