Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 2,504
2.81/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I poured this watery beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. Not cold enough! The beer was a pee colored concoction but did poor a really pretty big white head. i was hopeful. Slight watermelon smell first then kinda sour smell. Worried. Slightly cloudy looking also. The beer was VERY watery tasting. Kinda like watermelon kool aid that half the flavor packet had not made it into the mix. I will not buy this beer again.

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured a finger of head on a hazy, light straw colored body.
The aroma is interesting. A bit of grain and watermelon. Not bad, just interesting.
The taste has a soft, almost water and wheat taste at first. The there's the mild watermelon sweetness.
The texture is soft with moderate carbonation.
As far as watermelon beers go it's the best one I've had. Simple flavors and easy drinking.

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz canned on 3/11/2013. Served in a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow color with a little over a finger of a white soapy head. Body is hazy with some visible sediment floating in the glass.

Smell: Wheat, melon, some yeast spiciness, hint of wet grain and yeast spiciness.

Taste: Same as the nose, only slightly more assertive. Melon and melon rind are the most notable, followed by wheat and yeast spice. Not complex, but what's there is pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, crisp and refreshing. Medium carbonation.

Overall: In a world full of mediocre fruited summer wheat beers, I feel like this does at least stand out a bit from the crowd (if for no other reason than the use of watermelon). I thought the melon worked well with the wheat beer base. Not excellent by any means, but if I'm looking for something refreshing on a hot day, I'd definitely get this again.

3.15/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed this 12oz can out of a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours a clear straw color with a thin, white, 1-finger head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace leaving a partial trail.

S: Slightly tart and fruity aroma.

T: Subtle fruity watermelon flavor with a slight tartness and finishes clean.

M: Light body and medium carbonation.

O: Interesting fruit wheat beer – subtle watermelon taste – a refreshing brew but nothing I would grab again.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours hazy lemon gold, white head dissipates to nothing.

Smells of wheat, melon and citrus.

Tastes wheaty and notably melony, on the lighter side.

Lighter body with tingles of carbonation on the tongue.

Light, highly drinkable. Not exceptional but interesting. Good session candidate.

2.91/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On draft at The String Bean, Belmont, NC. Poured in a standard US pint glass.

Pours hazy with a fair amount of visible carbonation, very little head and a nice bit of oily lacing that persists throughout the experience. I can faintly smell watermelon, but I also know it's supposed to be there. I can definitely taste it, along with some bitter rind and some thin standard flavors of a lesser wheat beer. I'm glad I tried it.

2.77/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On-tap at the brew-pub of 21st Amendment complete with a water-melon wedge on the rim of the glass (4.9% ABV).

Hazy gold body with a thin excuse for a head on top.

Not a lot going on in the nose or taste really: some watery wheatness just about detectable and I suppose some water melon hints as well.

OK, but not my sort of beer. Refreshing but not a winter beer in my eyes, which is when I had it.

2.95/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a weizen glass from a can. Bottling date is clearly stated at the bottom of the can as "03/02/13."

Pours a hazed, cloudy yellowish-amber look that is pretty typical to beers of this style. A nice foamy head coats the top of the glass (especially with my added extra aggressive pour), but it eventually dwindles down to pretty much nothing but a ring. Bubbles are disappointingly modest here, as well as lacing. The liquid is pretty thick in appearance, and the yeast is definitely noticeable. Still, nothing too showy or impressive. Say... I'd never guess there was watermelon in this thing by looking at it though!

Right at the front of the nose they definitely nailed spot-on the exclusive watermelon ingredient, alongside lightly tinged spices known in wheat beers. The watermelon is slightly sweet, juicy and vibrant, and also provides an off-finish resembling cantaloupe, or some barley ripe green melon. The smell overpowers other aspects in the aroma, but I am picking up some hearty wheat yeastiness, a little bit of herbal character, and lightly packed bready notes, but the watermelon concentrate and rinds really are the star here. In terms of experimenting, they definitely got something interesting and refreshing going on here, but it is unbalanced in displaying all of the beer's aspects.

The flavor, however, is a bit bizarre in following up the aroma. Lots of watermelon dried peel flavors come in, and finish in a soured, candied manner. Coriander and slightly muted spices soon follow, as well as a yeasty, bright character. The melon rinds become progressively tarty, especially as this warms up, and rather than taste juicy and thick, this beer instead comes off as needlessly dry and grainy. There's an astringent aftertaste that resembles sandpaper-like feel, which is strange. The alcohol, despite being below 5%, is surprisingly present here to the point of distraction. Carbonation is low, and there's a slight watery, thinned feel in the finish. Definitely not the most pleasing wheat beer to drink overall.

This is a strange one alright, and while I appreciate the watermelon rind tartness going on here, the beer lacks all of the hearty, chewy characteristics I love in wheat beers. I paired this with actual watermelon, and it was easier to drink... But then I realized that the watermelon fruit itself was more flavorful and juicy and muted the beer as a result. The extra graininess, alcohol burn, and thinness does not make this as refreshing as other Spring/Summer alternatives. For fans of novelty beers, do try this, but I can't recommend this as much as I'd like to.

2.21/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Can: Poured a light yellow color ale with a small pure white foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of watermelon and light wheat malt is weird and not really enticing. Taste is a mix between some watermelons which is more dominant then expected with some light wheat malt. Body is thin with light carbonation. Boring thin wheat with light watermelon flavours.

2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

Emptied into a Sam Adams glass, a light, foamy head developed which dissipated in short order. Appearance was a straw, yellow with a hazy hue. Aroma was light with fruity, sweet hints and slightly sour on the back. Taste was fruity and did remind me of the white part of the watermelon. Taste was also light with a hint of sour. Aftertaste was very light and a bit sour and fruity. Mouthfeel was watery.

2.92/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Picked up on a trip back from Toledo. Pours a golden-straw color, fairly opaque, letting some light and opposite-side shadowing through. Wispy white head fades quickly leaving no lacing behind. Nose is full of some wheat as well as a strange hodge-podge of fruit and/or vegetables. Weirdly enough, V-8 tomato juice comes to mind; for some reason, I'm picking up big tomato hints. As time rolls on, the watermelon starts to come out more, and by the end of it, the watermelon is certainly the most prominent aroma, with a slight, astringent tartness that mixes with the sweetness from the malt and the dry wheat. The flavor is also kind of strange to say the least. It's like a light, wheat beer, heavy on the malt and wheat, mixed with some tart watermelon rind in the background. The watermelon flavors bounce in and out, but there's no mistaking the fruit - it's most definitely watermelon. It's more of an astringent, dry watermelon rind kind of flavor, where I was expecting a juicy, fruity watermelon. It's more natural than artificial tasting, though, which is most definitely a good thing. Thin body, medium carbonation.

This beer is weird. I was very excited to try it, and I thought it would actually be a little more fruity than it is. Watermelon is definitely present, but not quite in the capacity I would have liked, and not presented in the manner I would have hoped for. Still reasonably drinkable, and definitely something that I was glad to try, but I don't think I'll be getting this one again.

3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Light yellow. Light foam. Small bubbles, strong lace. Didn't seem like a wheat beer.
S: A slight bit of raisin was all that I could detect.
M: Hollow foam at the back, bitter at the front but no lasting bitter.
T: Watermelon right? Wheat beer right? So there was a bit of watermelon, but weak as well as the wheat profile. Slightly sweet, and almost a hint olive oil. I'd say this was more sour than bitter.

O: An odd concoction that would be refreshing on a hot day. However fans of fruit beers probably wouldn't find watermelon a flavor to love, unless it was more candy like and pronounced. I'd look elsewhere.

3.62/5  rDev +10%

Something also on trade...this one a fruit, which I normally don't get a chance to try much. Pours a cloudy pilsey yellow with almost no head, and little lacing. Smells sweet, and green, and floral. Taste is interesting, different from many other fruit beers, surely some watermelon, but only hints. An interesting approach to a fruit beer and one that I was happy to try. Easy drinking, and not bitter and light. Carbonation is only low-moderate. Fun to try!

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

The color when poured into a glass was a hazy light yellow with hardly any foam and not lace at all on the side of the glass. The smell of yeasty citrus was evident in the aroma. The taste had of a bitter yeasty watermelon, that was not a pleasant feel on the palate. This is not what I would expected from the beer company. Not one of their better brew's.

3.72/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer pours a slightly hazy yellow with a pillowy white head and no lacing. The aroma is of watermelon with cake and mild sweet malt. The flavor is watermelon throughout with lemon, cake, and wheat malt notes. There is a good balance between the watermelon and the rest in both the aroma and on the palate. It's mouthfeel is light. 21st Amendment Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is a good beer, a good example of the style, and refreshing. Recommended.

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

1560th Review on BA
Can to Pint

Purchased @Total Wine & More, Sacramento, CA for $1.79
Didnt write down canning date

App- It looks more like a wheat that I though. Didnt have any off color. Maybe was thinking it would be red/pink. Guess thats what I get for thinking. Had a good wheat haze behind it with a semi large 2 finger, fast receding head to it. Still no cling. Looked nice though.

Smell- Its about the par for a wheat beer. I get the wheat, a little bit of grassy and maybe some lemon. I dont get any of the watermelon on the aroma. Just a bit light and a bit average for me. Not my favorite style so probably has a lot to do with it.

Taste- I thought this was a very tasty beer. It wouldve been great for the 100+ temps in So. Cal if it was distro'd down here. Had the watermelon flavor and was suprised it wasnt overpowering but well layered and tasteful.

Mouth- A bit light on the feel. Just a bit flat as well. Its a light body with a pretty flat medium carbonation. Could be that this can was 5 months old I believe.

Drink- I thought it was tasty and for a fruity beer with a wheat background, I would anticipate during the summer this would taste a whole lot better.

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Yellow-orange in color, creamy and hazy. About an inch of fluffy head forms at the top but quickly dies down to nearly nothing. Doesn’t look overly carbonated. Looks like a typical hef.

Smell: Very sweet and floral, I’m thinking honeysuckle, with some malty grains backing it up.

Taste: More of that floral sweet honeysuckle at first, then comes the watermelon and citrus notes, and finally the malts and bitter hops finish. The watermelon tastes a little artificial and overall the brew is more sour and acidic than I was expecting. I’m not getting much of the cloves/banana etc that I expect from wheat beers, but there is some banana there.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, refreshing going down and easy on the finish. A little bit syrupy consistency.

Overall: Had one of these leftover from summer, and it’s a nice hot day today so figured I’d kill the six-pack. This is probably the only one I poured into a glass to review properly, the rest I drank straight from the can. And I think that’s how these should be enjoyed -- floating down a river or by the beach in a tube with just the can. It’s not a bad summer brew but I think the artificial flavor would turn some people off. My woman didn’t like it and she’s a fan of fruit beers. One of these is great, after two or three I’d probably get tired of the sweet and sourness.

3.29/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a wiezen glass at 40 degrees

Appearance: one finger foamy white head that has no retention. The color of the beer is a medium yellow with pale yellow hues. The clarity of the beer is cloudy probably due to yeast. The head no longer remains in the beer.

Nose: The aroma of wheat and grass are the most prominent aromas. The watermelon aroma is faint but of course there is really no smell to watermelon. The only other aroma in the beer is yeast.

Taste: predominately wheat with notes of citrus and grass. The watermelon is there along with the yeast and a subtle sweetness like honey.

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated with a crisp finish.

Overall: the body of the beer is light and the finish is medium. Although, you can't taste the watermelon in the beer, it is a pretty apparent going down. This is a good fruit and herb beer. This beer would be great on a nice sunny summer afternoon.

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

This brew poured with a one finger white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a clear, golden-yellow color with mild visible carbonation. The nose was very muted. I only got a hint of watermelon. I remember this having more of a nose the last time that I had it. On the taste, the first thing that hit me was how much more carbonation there was on the taste than what I could see in the glass. The next thing that hit me was that this tasted exactly like a liquid watermelon jolly rancher to me. This was completely saturated with lots of artificial watermelon, which wasn’t all that pleasant. After that, I really didn’t get anything else. Any other flavors were completely hidden by the watermelon. The finish was quick, again with watermelon. I remember enjoying this beer much more…I guess my tastes have changed. I would not rush back to have this.

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A pale, straw-yellow and slightly cloudy beer with virtually no head.

S: A somewhat-too sour watermelon smell accompanies a decent wheat aroma.

T: It's almost all watermelon, but it's surprisingly just the right amount. It's not a watered down wheat, nor is it a liquid jolly rancher.

M: Hell or High Watermelon is a fairly light beer.

O: A great summer beer.

2.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Got this can a year (or two) ago from a friend. Just haven't had the urge to drink watermelon beer...but today was the day.

Pours piss yellow. A 1 finger white head forms and dissipates quickly leaving a collar. Small amounts of carbonation rising. Tons of floaters suspended in the beer...I'm hoping this was intentional. Very off-putting.

Aroma is of light malts, yeast, and a light watermelon sweetness.

Taste has more watermelon sweetness than the aroma, but not overpowering. Yeast and light malts.

Mouthfeel is rather light and lifeless.

Overall, it is drinkable on a hot summer day. But, one was plenty. Can't imagine drinking more.

3.42/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden color and is topped with an inch of white head that disappears very quickly.
Smell: The aroma of this beer is just what I expect and nice wheat aroma and is followed by a hint of sweet smelling watermelon aroma.
Taste: I don’t taste the watermelon but I really didn’t expect to as fragile as a watermelon flavor is. This is a very tasty wheat beer with a solid wheat malt base no hops and maybe a hint of the watermelon flavor but not much.
Mouthfeel: This is a very light bodied and easy drinking summer brew that may not stand out in a crowd but is a good beer for a day at the lake.

3.81/5  rDev +15.8%

Watermelon beer? What will they think of next? Very little head that lasted a very short time. I, personally, could not detect any discernible smell. However, the taste was exactly as advertised by the name. Resheshing, crisp watermelon dominates. I like its uniqueness. Hey, does drinking this count as a serving of fruit?!?

3.46/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap for the 4th Anniversary event at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of wheat, grain, yeast, spices, and some slightly fruit (but not watermelon) aromas. Taste is much the same with a very mild watermelon flavor on the finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is refreshing but the watermelon presence is mild and hard to pick out in my opinion.

3.14/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can shaker pint, canned on 7/9/12

A: light hazy yellow, with 1.5 finger light white head, recedes slowly, leaves a slight ring. No lacing. Cloudy as I expected
S: light corn/adjunct, a bready sweetness,maybe a light watermelon presence. Not much going on though.

T: wheat, slight adjunct taste, a sweet malt and a slight watermelon taste. Not overpowering, refreshing, and pretty tasty. My expectations were low, but it's pretty nice.

M: nice smoothness from the wheat malt, carbonation is nice, it has a sweet finish. Its not offputting and actually kinda nice.

O: I expected a lackluster,light bodied, overly fruity, overly sweet beer and what I got Was a decent summer beer. Would buy again for the pool or the beach.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery