Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

Lawnboy33, Nov 14, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Pour - well, its not pink. Its a tannish-golden color with some suspended (and not so suspended) yeast sediment. Head is a rather thin and this is all a bit cloudy.

Aroma - what I smell most is a sour malt aroma along with some sweetness that sort of reminds me of watermelon as well as honey and powdered sugar. So, not a lot of watermelon-y stuff going on in either the pour or the aroma. Let's move on...

Taste - when I really get my face in the glass and take the first sip I finally get some watermelon flavor and aroma. Its faint and it won't overwhelm you even if you hate watermelon. Its a slightly sour fruity flavor that isn't at all off-putting and it actually kind of works well, in a refreshing sort of way. Nice wheat beer with just enough watermelon flavor to give this a very subtle sour bit.

Overall - The more I drink of this, the more I am enjoying it. I'll admit, its a lot better than I thought. The watermelon flavor is subtle and like I previously mentioned, this is very refreshing. If you are like me and figure you'd probably not like this beer you might be surprised. Pop open a can and remember to be open-minded.

Would I buy more of it? - I wouldn't totally dismiss this beer as it is exactly what it is supposed to be. However, its not a beer that I'd find myself drinking a lot of the time. It does sort of scream to be bought the night before a day of yard work.

indiapaleale, Nov 06, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Pours straw yellow with a 1/4th inch tall white head that dissipates quickly.

The smell is what took me off guard. It really does smell like watermelon, but it's not like a wine cooler. It has malt and a little hop smell with a strike of jolly rancher-like watermelon.

Taste is of fake watermelon. Like I said though, it's not just watermelon. It's like watermelon that compliments the flavors of the beer itself.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice and light in body but still flavorful as a beer itself and sweet watermelon taste.

Overall: Watermelon is a difficult beer to get right, and these guys certainly made a good example of it. Yeah the taste isn't going to taste like biting into a real watermelon. Watermelon itself has very little flavor other that sugar. Watermelon flavoring is still delicious though, and being a big fan of it, I found this beer to be great.

corylew, Oct 28, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Light/pale yellow color, with a bit of haziness to it. Quickly dissipating head with no lacing to speak of. The aroma was that of, well, watermelons. Pretty sweet smelling...very one-dimensional. Didn't really get any notes of anything else significant. The taste is overpowered by watermelon-y sweetness. Not very complex. The wheat is slightly present, but not enough so due to the overpowering nature of the watermelon taste. Of course...this is a watermelon brew, so I can't complain. I did find it VERY refreshing on a hot summer day. That's probably the only time I would drink it.

Light in body...I actually thought the carbonation was pretty decent. I might have preferred a little less carbonation only because I felt that it added to the soda-like nature of this beer. Enjoyable in some situations, but definitely not a staple in my fridge.

MsRif, Oct 26, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

Aroma - Wheat graininess and a slight sweetness of fruit

Appearance - Thin quickly dissipating head while the beer was a cloudy pale yellow

Taste - Watermelon wheat is kind of what you get. There is a slight funk to the usual wheat flavor but the watermelon is well balanced flavor wise. The beer did have a kind of spritzy quality that was interesting

Notes - Light mouthfeel which I think could have used more carbonation

jwhawkins81, Oct 21, 2011

I will admit to approaching this beer with some trepidation. Watermelon flavored beer? The thougth invoked a shudder, but, I forged on nonetheless. I was pleasantly surpised at how deftly the watermelon aspect was handled. Rather than the Jolly Rancher monstrosity I expected, the watermelon note was quite subtile, just barely there in the background of an otherwise quite clean and light wheat. Some citrus balanced well with the melon, and there was a hint of fruity perfume in the aftertaste. Not something could see myself ordering on any sort of regular basis, but an interesting endeavor by the brewery.

Brent, Oct 17, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

From my beer journal. Originally reviewed on June 12, 2011.

A: Light straw color. A tiny bit cloudy. About one finger of head that quickly departed.

S: Smells tasty like a watermelon. A bit of maltiness. Mostly sweet. Not a lot of depth.

T: Sweetness up front with a tinge of watermelon and a hint of wheat that gets harder to taste as you go on. A very bland finish.

M: Light to medium body, could definitely use more carbonation.

O: This was a little too soda like. Wouldn't buy this again. I can respect 21st for trying this though.

tony223366, Oct 17, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a cloudy golden. Head is half a finger foamy white.
S- Light watermelon character on the nose, with a pale grain presence.
T- The first thought in my mind was Watermelon Bubblicious but far less sweet. A watery watermelon character, with a grainy base.
M- Light and thin, verges on watery.
O- Interesting idea but I didn't particularly care for its executing. Probably wouldn't seek out or try again.

jsprain1, Oct 16, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow color, with obvious sediment. Provides a small white foam head that quickly disappears. Some spotty lacing.

S: Lots of big wheat and yeast smells are quite obvious. There is also some watermelon scents but not as potent as expected. Smells clean and refreshing and seeing how we were there on the hottest day in San Fran in 2011, it was fitting.

T: Not quite a one dimensional beer, but there is obvious watermelon flavored bubble gum with a big amount of wheat. The taste is pretty constant from beginning to end.

M: Very light bodied. Very clean crisp and refreshing.

O: This beer delivers what it says it would. Perfect for a hot day as it is quite refreshing. Not a brew I would certainly seek out but it was enjoyable.

IronCitySteve, Oct 16, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

Into a tumbler it pours a pale golden orange color. Some feeble foam clings to one side, a loose texture to the bubbles. Visible carbonation, murky clarity.

Smells like any other "wheat beer"... bland and somewhat grainy. Not much discernable watermelon, though there's an indistinct fruity note to it.

Some watermelon flavor, though accompanied by a bland watery character, more like the white rind than the sweet red fruit. Light astringency, the mouthfeel is basically nonexistent. Probably not something i'd revisit personally. Cool new can design though.

emerge077, Oct 06, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Pale pils body, slightly cloudy. Slow, rising carbonation. Foamy white head.

S - Crisp, floral hops and dry malt. Sweet, white bread starches, and yeast. Touc of candy sugar.

T - Slightly chewy sweet wheat. Mild malt and dry hops. Some floral hop notes and a hint of watermelon candy.

M - Light and drinkable, with no real punch. Just an easy summer beer.

BeerForMuscle, Oct 01, 2011
1.45/5  rDev -55.9%

Not only is this a terrible wheat beer, it is a bad beer with artificial tasting watermelon flavor in it. I never pour out a beer if I can choke it down. This one got dumped after one painful gulp! Usually I can find something positive in most beers but I am drawing a blank with this one.

BeerManDanNYC, Sep 28, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

CAN you believe that I haven't tasted anything from 21st Amendment? Now I have. Hooray I guess. From a 12 ounce can split with my friend Ricardo, on to the beer:

Somewhat of a pale orange in color with little in the head or retention department. I expected some watermelon in the nose, but didn't get any. All I got was a little what malt and nothing else. Weak.

Its taste finally brings some of that watermelon to the table. Well, the first part screams boring American wheat beer, then the watermelon comes in and rescures the beer from certain boringness. Light and prickly in the mouth.

If it weren't for the watermelon, this beer would be as exciting as bathwater.

DoubleJ, Sep 22, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Served from can into a Unibroue La Fin du Monde tulip. Poured golden yellow with a minimal white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, grain, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, grain, fruit, and watermelon. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was nothing too exciting. If I'm completely honest, I mainly got this one for the name. The watermelon was definitely present, but really didn't blend well with the other flavors going on here. On the aroma I was unable to isolate the watermelon, but it definitely came through on the flavor. Worth trying to say that you did, but that is about it in my personal opinion.

thagr81us, Sep 19, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

A: The beer is pale yellow in color and poured with a thin white head and quickly faded away.
S: There are light aromas of wheat with hints of watermelon in the smell.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the watermelon flavor is a bit more prominent.
M: It feels light-bodied and watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer definitely goes down very easy but has an unremarkable taste. It would be a good choice for a hot summer day when you are just looking for a cold beer but not much else.

metter98, Sep 09, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce can into my Harpoon IPA glass.

Beer pours a rather bland, hazy golden color (looks like a BMC) with a very thin and quickly fading layer of bright, white head.

Smell starts of like a pretty basic wheat based beer. At the tail end of the whiff, there is a faint hint of watermelon. Taste is similar. The beginning of the draw tastes like a pretty standard light summery beer. But towards the end of the sip, here comes the watermelon. It really seems to come up out of nowhere and adds a really fresh, fruity and refreshing dimension to the beer.

Mouthfeel is light and incredibly refreshing. I think the drinkability is very high. This is a very, light easy drinking beer. Would be great poolside or with the lawnmower. I like it.

pburland23, Sep 04, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden color, a bit hazy. Poured into globe glass with small white head dissipating quickly with almost no lacing. Love the packaging with Lady Liberty putting her torch down while dipping her feet into SF Bay off the Golden Gate. She is grabbing a watermelon from a barge in the bay. Irreverent yet strangely patriotic.
S: Wheat with a hint of watermelon.
T: Up front, a subtle splash of watermelon is noticeable followed by wheat flavor. Each seems to mute the other but they complement well. Sweet but not overpowering.
M: Light-bodied with little carbonation. Clean and refreshing.
O: Perfect summer beer for the pool or beach. Very drinkable and enjoyable. Glad I bought a sixer to enjoy Labor Day at the beach with college football. It's great to be an American!

Paincane, Sep 03, 2011
3.38/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a fluted pint glass, color is opaque pale gold. No head and no lacing.

Smell is odd, mix of wheat malt and mild bitterness but not a normal flavor mix.

Taste is big hit of watermelon, but too punch, can definitely taste concentrate off flavors. The malt finishes up the flavor with a mild bitterness in there as well.

Mouthfeel is a good balance of sweetness and hint of bitter with some lingering pleasant watermelon.

Overall, an interesting brew, something off in the scent and a little two pungent of watermelon flavor upfront.

mvanaskie13, Sep 03, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

tnip23 gave me a can of this to try. Thanks Troy.

A - Poured a clear, golden yellow body...a small, white head formed quickly then disappeared just as quick...there is a very thin ring left behind...light lacing

S - There is only a slight watermelon presence in the nose...wheat malt can be picked up as well

T - The watermelon really jumps out in the flavor...there is a lot upfront but it tastes like concentrate (just like the can says)...and it lends a slightly juicy aspect to the body...the wheat malt is pushed back and finishes the beer with semi-sweet watermelon flavors

M - Light bodied...crisp and refreshing...semi-sweet finish is nice

O - Watermelon Wheat is a nice summer beer and it deviates from the normal fruit beers with the addition of watermelon...and besides you can't be it being in a can

thain709, Sep 01, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +14%

This is the first beer I have had from a can in quite some time. I must also say that this is a case of a novelty name getting me to try a beer, and this time I am pleasantly surprised.

Pours clear yellow with thin white head.
not much on the nose.
WOW, watermelon in the taste big time. Very refreshing.
Crisp.
Cool can, the artwork is pretty great..
easy to drink but a bit novel.
I think that this would be a great brew to grill out with, very refreshing and a cool concept I haven't seen in many other beers.

bamojr, Sep 01, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

This has been a brutal summer for me, moving from the west coast to the east coast, remembering the violent heat and humidity that I had once left behind. The city here traps the heat all day, bakes itself, leaves you warm and toasty down to your soul. At the end of a long day, you need something immensely quaffable. I've been a fan of this beer for a while, but this summer my love for it bloomed.
Unfortunately, it is one of those beers that must be consumed cold. Cold, the watermelon is in harmony with the wheat. It is obvious but not over the top, extremely complementary. Once the beer warms a bit, the wheat comes out and you realize that maybe this beer isn't that good after all. I can't tell you what it looks like, because this approachable and very drinkable beer is best administered directly from the can.
I, for one, ambitiously declare this one of my 5 beers of the summer. And as the last shipment has arrived at the store, I realize that I have survived my first summer in NY, and the leaves are about to change.

dragonWhale, Aug 31, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy golden straw (almost a pear juice color without the yeast stirred up) with a fair size bright white head that didn’t stick around for long nor did it leave any lace. The cool looking tasty crack can is a plus.

S: Melon fruit sweetness on a pretty clean wheat beer. Not a lot going on, but pretty good in the umph department.

T: While the aroma was just general melon, the flavor is very clearly watermelon. Interesting to have such a relatively delicate flavor come through so clear. As watermelon recedes a grainy sweetness emerges that is really the only major malt character note of the wheat beer. There is also a muted hint of yeast, a soft bit of tartness, and a touch of grassy hops at the end.

M: Medium light body with CO2 more toward upper end of average – yet in a soft, nicely textured way. More refreshing than quenching or crisp, and that really works for the flavor.

D: A summer refresher for sure. A light fruit flavor on a light and muted wheat beer. A really well done fruit beer overall. And, is there another watermelon wheat out there? Sure, it is a bit one-sided and even gimmicky, but every time I try one of these I am struck by how distinctly it does taste of watermelon.

SickGnar, Aug 28, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

P- Wegmans

A- a huge frothy 3 finger head that really shoots up when you start to pour. The colors is a pale yellow color. Decent sticking to the pint as well.

S- a wheaty melon like nose. Fruity tartness comes through as well.

T- a mlid melon taste but there is more metallic and dry whea that hits the tongue. Nothing more to say about flavor. Pretty bland.

M- foamy and a metallic watermelon coating on the inside of the mouth.

O-its not awful, but im not sure it works all that well. The sweet watermelon flavor gets lost with the wheaty taste and it seems more tart than it should be. Not bad but i wouldnt purchase more of it.

Dodo2step, Aug 27, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -34.7%

A 12 ounce can into a snifter...

The pour is a translucent hay color with about a half inch of bubbly, white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. The smell is perhaps the most off-putting part for me; for some reason, I can't detect anything past a terrible, strong, curdled milk scent. I can't even find the damn watermelon in the nose. I brace for the taste… ah, found the watermelon! There is a dominating, yet artificial watermelon flavor reminiscent of a jolly rancher or some other sugary candy. An odd milk like flavor sits between the melon and a faint wheat base. The mouthfeel is light, and a bit lively from the carbonation. Nothing spectacular, as it is a bit thin. I will be avoiding this in the future.

eclipse54, Aug 26, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Review dated 2/15/2009.

On tap at the brewpub. Hazy yellow color with a small white head and a watermelon slice on the glass. Aroma is lots of watermelon. Flavor is wheaty with - you guessed it - watermelon. Pretty sour and almost cidery on the finish. Light on the palate, refreshing but a little off-balance in my opinion.

nickd717, Aug 25, 2011