Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

pours tan hay color. head, retention, lacing is ok.

smells really funky. like epoisses or something. metallic. crayons. hint of watermelon

tastes like a wheat beer with watermelon extract or juice. watermelon is a little artificial. not too overpowering, but not very pleasant

mouthfeel is pretty good. great carbonation. finish typical of light wheat beers.

would not buy again. drain pour in the end

3.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Pour - well, its not pink. Its a tannish-golden color with some suspended (and not so suspended) yeast sediment. Head is a rather thin and this is all a bit cloudy.

Aroma - what I smell most is a sour malt aroma along with some sweetness that sort of reminds me of watermelon as well as honey and powdered sugar. So, not a lot of watermelon-y stuff going on in either the pour or the aroma. Let's move on...

Taste - when I really get my face in the glass and take the first sip I finally get some watermelon flavor and aroma. Its faint and it won't overwhelm you even if you hate watermelon. Its a slightly sour fruity flavor that isn't at all off-putting and it actually kind of works well, in a refreshing sort of way. Nice wheat beer with just enough watermelon flavor to give this a very subtle sour bit.

Overall - The more I drink of this, the more I am enjoying it. I'll admit, its a lot better than I thought. The watermelon flavor is subtle and like I previously mentioned, this is very refreshing. If you are like me and figure you'd probably not like this beer you might be surprised. Pop open a can and remember to be open-minded.

Would I buy more of it? - I wouldn't totally dismiss this beer as it is exactly what it is supposed to be. However, its not a beer that I'd find myself drinking a lot of the time. It does sort of scream to be bought the night before a day of yard work.

4.22/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Pours straw yellow with a 1/4th inch tall white head that dissipates quickly.

The smell is what took me off guard. It really does smell like watermelon, but it's not like a wine cooler. It has malt and a little hop smell with a strike of jolly rancher-like watermelon.

Taste is of fake watermelon. Like I said though, it's not just watermelon. It's like watermelon that compliments the flavors of the beer itself.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice and light in body but still flavorful as a beer itself and sweet watermelon taste.

Overall: Watermelon is a difficult beer to get right, and these guys certainly made a good example of it. Yeah the taste isn't going to taste like biting into a real watermelon. Watermelon itself has very little flavor other that sugar. Watermelon flavoring is still delicious though, and being a big fan of it, I found this beer to be great.

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Light/pale yellow color, with a bit of haziness to it. Quickly dissipating head with no lacing to speak of. The aroma was that of, well, watermelons. Pretty sweet smelling...very one-dimensional. Didn't really get any notes of anything else significant. The taste is overpowered by watermelon-y sweetness. Not very complex. The wheat is slightly present, but not enough so due to the overpowering nature of the watermelon taste. Of course...this is a watermelon brew, so I can't complain. I did find it VERY refreshing on a hot summer day. That's probably the only time I would drink it.

Light in body...I actually thought the carbonation was pretty decent. I might have preferred a little less carbonation only because I felt that it added to the soda-like nature of this beer. Enjoyable in some situations, but definitely not a staple in my fridge.

3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

Aroma - Wheat graininess and a slight sweetness of fruit

Appearance - Thin quickly dissipating head while the beer was a cloudy pale yellow

Taste - Watermelon wheat is kind of what you get. There is a slight funk to the usual wheat flavor but the watermelon is well balanced flavor wise. The beer did have a kind of spritzy quality that was interesting

Notes - Light mouthfeel which I think could have used more carbonation

I will admit to approaching this beer with some trepidation. Watermelon flavored beer? The thougth invoked a shudder, but, I forged on nonetheless. I was pleasantly surpised at how deftly the watermelon aspect was handled. Rather than the Jolly Rancher monstrosity I expected, the watermelon note was quite subtile, just barely there in the background of an otherwise quite clean and light wheat. Some citrus balanced well with the melon, and there was a hint of fruity perfume in the aftertaste. Not something could see myself ordering on any sort of regular basis, but an interesting endeavor by the brewery.

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

From my beer journal. Originally reviewed on June 12, 2011.

A: Light straw color. A tiny bit cloudy. About one finger of head that quickly departed.

S: Smells tasty like a watermelon. A bit of maltiness. Mostly sweet. Not a lot of depth.

T: Sweetness up front with a tinge of watermelon and a hint of wheat that gets harder to taste as you go on. A very bland finish.

M: Light to medium body, could definitely use more carbonation.

O: This was a little too soda like. Wouldn't buy this again. I can respect 21st for trying this though.

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a cloudy golden. Head is half a finger foamy white.
S- Light watermelon character on the nose, with a pale grain presence.
T- The first thought in my mind was Watermelon Bubblicious but far less sweet. A watery watermelon character, with a grainy base.
M- Light and thin, verges on watery.
O- Interesting idea but I didn't particularly care for its executing. Probably wouldn't seek out or try again.

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow color, with obvious sediment. Provides a small white foam head that quickly disappears. Some spotty lacing.

S: Lots of big wheat and yeast smells are quite obvious. There is also some watermelon scents but not as potent as expected. Smells clean and refreshing and seeing how we were there on the hottest day in San Fran in 2011, it was fitting.

T: Not quite a one dimensional beer, but there is obvious watermelon flavored bubble gum with a big amount of wheat. The taste is pretty constant from beginning to end.

M: Very light bodied. Very clean crisp and refreshing.

O: This beer delivers what it says it would. Perfect for a hot day as it is quite refreshing. Not a brew I would certainly seek out but it was enjoyable.

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

Into a tumbler it pours a pale golden orange color. Some feeble foam clings to one side, a loose texture to the bubbles. Visible carbonation, murky clarity.

Smells like any other "wheat beer"... bland and somewhat grainy. Not much discernable watermelon, though there's an indistinct fruity note to it.

Some watermelon flavor, though accompanied by a bland watery character, more like the white rind than the sweet red fruit. Light astringency, the mouthfeel is basically nonexistent. Probably not something i'd revisit personally. Cool new can design though.

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Pale pils body, slightly cloudy. Slow, rising carbonation. Foamy white head.

S - Crisp, floral hops and dry malt. Sweet, white bread starches, and yeast. Touc of candy sugar.

T - Slightly chewy sweet wheat. Mild malt and dry hops. Some floral hop notes and a hint of watermelon candy.

M - Light and drinkable, with no real punch. Just an easy summer beer.

1.45/5  rDev -55.9%

Not only is this a terrible wheat beer, it is a bad beer with artificial tasting watermelon flavor in it. I never pour out a beer if I can choke it down. This one got dumped after one painful gulp! Usually I can find something positive in most beers but I am drawing a blank with this one.

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

CAN you believe that I haven't tasted anything from 21st Amendment? Now I have. Hooray I guess. From a 12 ounce can split with my friend Ricardo, on to the beer:

Somewhat of a pale orange in color with little in the head or retention department. I expected some watermelon in the nose, but didn't get any. All I got was a little what malt and nothing else. Weak.

Its taste finally brings some of that watermelon to the table. Well, the first part screams boring American wheat beer, then the watermelon comes in and rescures the beer from certain boringness. Light and prickly in the mouth.

If it weren't for the watermelon, this beer would be as exciting as bathwater.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery