Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
2.55/5  rDev -22.5%

A cellar temperature can is poured into a pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy and has the color of tarnished gold. A few fingers worth of off-white foam rises out of the liquid, but it doesn't stay for long. Already the bubbles that make it up are popping. Eventually, all that is left is a skim of foam. No lacing is left behind. Lots of carbonation bubbles are rising within the glass.

The beer has a sweet wheat aroma. I can smell watermelon, but I'm not sure I would have been able to identify the scent if I didn't know this beer had the fruit in it.

This is a sweet, fruity beer. Some aspects of its wheat base are apparent, especially as I swallow. Mostly I taste sweet watermelon flavors, like a piece of candy. There may be a hint of bitterness as soon as I taste the beer, but if it is there, it is gone quickly.

For a summer beer, this one sits heavy in my mouth. A lot of foamy carbonation is present, and the coating is thick and sticky.

Overall, this isn't a beer I'd go back to. I prefer a lighter wheat beer for a summer seasonal, and I'm not a fan of watermelon the fruit, so watermelon the beer probably isn't for me either. Still, its an interesting and commendable experiment.

ToasterChef, Jul 06, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz can served in a standard shaker pint.

pours a cloudy, dull yellow tone while yielding a 3/4" spritzy head that vanishes almost instantly. no lacing to speak of.

nose is 'meh'... maybe even a notch below. definitely wheaty/grainy with maybe a bit of citrus. not really getting much watermelon, a bit in the background.

flavor is an improvement, albeit a mild one. wheaty; watermelon is much more evident, and tastes authentic - as i was braced for some artificial jolly rancher like watermelon flavor. not a whole lot going on beyond that. mouthfeel is fine, medium-light bodied with average carbonation.

overall this one is OK. inoffensive and some good qualities to it, but nothing to write home about - or go out of one's way to acquire. i might buy it to diversify my beer menu at a cookout, but that's about it.

perrymarcus, Jul 06, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

I am currently enjoying this beer after a long walk home from work in the summer heat:

A: very little, if any visible head. Slightly murky (as I would expect of an unfiltered wheat)
s: kind of like bud light. not impressed or excited upon smelling it.
t: this is where I got a bit confused... at first it tastes a bit bland a watery, but it rounds out a bit towards the swallow and finishes with a kick of watermelon followed by a bitterness. interesting and refreshing.
m: nothing special, high carbonation, watery.

stellashay, Jul 05, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

6 pack of cans from Roth’s Sunnyside Market, S.Salem.$7.99 says 4.9% alc on the can. Appearance? Murkey golden yellow..almost like a farmhouse cider, tiny white bubbly head. Really picking up next to nothing as far as aroma..some hay and dough maybe. Picking up the water melon in the taste right away and its not candy type but real watermelon..after that its just wheatiness..VERY simple. Thin mouthfeel but you cant hold that against it per style. Overall very dissapointed..very very boring even in the heat.

Reidrover, Jul 04, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +14%

12 ounce can poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden orange color with an initial fluffy white head. The dissipation was rather quick but it did retain a thin foam cap and ring. Lacing is on the weak side.

S: Grain, lemon zest, a bit musky with an overall citrus forward nose. It's nothing overpowering at all but nothing is off putting. I wish there were more aromas of watermelon coming through in the nose but I couldn't find anything of the sort.

T: Wheat, watermelon comes through quite nicely on the first sip and it does taste quite natural which I wasn't expecting. It's not overly sweet or artificial tasting by any means, which I enjoy. Subsequent sips do lose the watermelon flavor but it retains a bit of itself as your palate adjusts. Some bready malt notes come out in the finish as does just a hint of tartness from the fruit flavors. A lot better than I expected.

M: Very bubbly, well-carbonated, honestly this is how I like wheat-esque beers to be. Again, nicely done.

This beer is a unique take on a wheat-centric beer by adding watermelon, something of which I've never seen done before. And it works quite well. Nothing seems overpowering but the aromas could use some work, as could the flavor profile in the taste. I'd like to see the watermelon stay relevant throughout, but a nice base for a flavored wheat beer.

ShanePB, Jun 30, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -42.9%

A: Pale straw color with absolutely no head. I tried swirling to see what would happen and nothing did.

S: Watermelon. Fake artificial watermelon. No wheat, just watermelon.

T: Watermelon and very light wheat. The problem I have with it tasting only like watermelon is watermelon is a very light flavor because, well, it is mostly water. combined with almost no wheat flavor, this just tastes watered down. It is like Coors added watermelon to their recipe.

M: Light, crisp. Nice mouthfeel if you want something crisp around summertime.

O: will not be drinking again. I like 21st Amendment but this is just not very good.

avaldivia, Jun 29, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +22.5%

Can produced in Cold Spring, MN. Purchased at Bridgeview Liquors in Moorhead, MN. Marked on base of can as 1129 1229. Served at ~8F into a Weizen glass, swirling last 1/4 of can.

A: Straw yellow with a bit of haze from the yeast. ~1cm white head that retains and drops slowly, leaving a ring for the entire session.
S: Initial hit of citrus, followed by watermelon bubble gum. Hint of pepper for a moment.
T&M: Fairly straight forward beer. A bit of malt and viscosity from the wheat, with a very well balanced level of watermelon in there. Strong enough to be noticable, but not so strong as to make it overpowering.
O: I really enjoyed this beer. I could see how this could be a polarizing beer...

kjyost, Jun 28, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from can into pint glass...

A- Pours golden straw colored; very light and hazy from suggested yeast rouse. Small foamy white head, fluffy but not stable as it disappears completely in short amount of time

S- Has sweet subtle watermelon followed by very slight tartness... Some very slight yeast spice to balance and a bread-y malt characteristic.

T/M- Tart and sweet while being very refreshing. Fruit is subtle but it always reminds you it's there. Light body and crisp carbonation on the tongue with lingering bubbles... Beer flavor has a grainy wit base which is definitely there, but could be slightly more prominent...

O- Great fruit beer for a hot day. I'm not one to love fruit beers but this was decent per style. I would buy this again for it's purpose, not to mention the girlfriend liked as well... I'm a bit sick of all fruit beers getting horrible scores just because it isnt the most favored style

TheGordianKnot, Jun 28, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +48.3%

I always look forward to the summer and this beer.

I drank this straight from the can while peddling the CyclePub to a brewery - after work...

First, this is a perfect combination of a fruit and beer - the soft watermelon hints pair perfectly with the wheat style. It is amazingly refreshing during a hot day (or while peddling to a brewery). Great level of carbonation too! I would highly recommend this beer to any one...

ardeano, Jun 24, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Watermelon! How refreshing! Poured into a glass a large head erupts and loiters for a bit but leaves without a trace. A nice hazy golden wheat body, the beer has got some yeasty and bitter rind aromas going on whereas the taste is sweet with a nice watermelon flavor. It's not hard to pick out, this is apparently a watermelon beer, and a good one at that. It's got a smooth mouthfeel and very easy drinking at 4.9%. I feel like I've been calling a lot of beers refreshing and I'm gonna call this one as well. Good beer. Yay summer.

wcintula, Jun 24, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours from a 12oz can into a pint glass a hazy light straw color with a fingers worth of white head that dissipates quickly.

Nose is some sweet watermelon and grainy wheat.

Taste actually gets the watermelon aspect pretty spot on. Not too syrupy-sweet and fake-tasting like some fruit beers. The watermelon mixes with some standard wheat and a little sweet malt.

Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly refreshing. A great session beer.

Fruit beers can be really hit and miss, but this one works for me. The watermelon is subtle but tasty, nice grainy wheat and sweet malt, and crisp. My local bottle shop (Brew in south Philly) has six-packs of this for $12, and I'll definitely be picking up at least a few more this summer.

cjoc83, Jun 24, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first thought was this is probably going to be sweet and nasty but I give credit to 21st in that they made the watermelon work well with the style. The nose is watermelon but the taste is wheat with only a hint of the fruit. Actually finishes nicely with a smooth grainy taste with that watermelon on the tip of the tongue. Could have been a disaster but it actually works.

canucklehead, Jun 21, 2011

uuuuhhh wow I am a little suprised at myself right now for liking this beer. My gut said no because I can't stand wheat beers latly but the draw to something new won in the end.

looks- poured out of a 12 oz can bought at the boise co-op in the Boise Idaho's Northend. looks like a light hef.

Smell- watermelon on low side. not to strong but refreshing
Taste- I wasn't sure what to think at at first but there is a sweat refreshment to it with true watermelon and yeah a little wheat in there. I would say it is less beer then I expected.

mouthfeel- High in carbonization

Overall this beer is right. I wouldn't reach for two in a row but I did enjoy it and think I will have another one in the future....

isualum12, Jun 19, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one. You can tell how much he likes me as this was the first beer he offered upon my return to Chicago. Served in a Jester King snifter.

A - A finger of white foam fizzles to a thin ring, leaving minimal lace. Hazy orange body.

S - Initially I thought this smelled pretty bad. Stale hops, lightly rotten fruit, and cloying malt sweetness. However, as it warmed up I actually got more of the advertised watermelon flavor and it got a bit better.

T - Taste is a marked improvement. Watermelon, light wheat and grain, and some sugary malt sweetness. Perhaps a bit saccharine, but fairly enjoyable for what it is.

M - Medium-light body, smooth pleasant medium-low carbonation. Pretty clean and refreshing.

D - Once you get past the aroma, there's a decent beer waiting. Still, not something I'd want to bother with again. Markedly inferior to the watermelon lambic hombrew someone brought to RBWG 2010.

MasterSki, Jun 16, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

it was also like a watery pale ale with a hint of sweetness behind it, but the sweetness was watermelon. the carbonation was more under control, but the watermelon was a bit too cloyingly sweet unlike similarly disfavored beers like deschutes twilight ale. it's not as drinkable as similar beers just due to the cloying sweetness.

Franch, Jun 16, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

John_M, Jun 15, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

A: pours a hazy straw yellow into an American shaker pint with a solid finger of fluffy white head that leaves some spotty lacing.

S: Wheat, sweet light malts and a hint of watermelon. some floral hops.

T: Heavy on the wheat and noticable light malt backbone, comparable as good to a hefeweizen and with the addition of the subtle watermelon that slowly takes the tongue by surprise makes this beer stand out.

MF: What we as advocates should come to expect from a light summer beer; refreshing, light soft body and good effervescence.

O: This has slowly become my favorite "tubing down the river" beer by beating out Butternuts Hefe. The can makes it portable while the lower ABV makes it great for having a bunch while floating and staying coordinated enough to scale the muddy hill back to the car. I wouldnt get this for much of any thing else except maybe a hot day on a boat or maybe a company picnic.

nickthetick, Jun 14, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

I picked up a case of this while in ATL recently. My wife and I had just bought a 6-pack to "try" and we liked it so much that we had to stock up before coming back to TN.

I don't understand the very "average" opinions of this beer. You have to appreciate this beer for what it is. And what it is, in my opinion, is perhaps one of the most perfect summer beers that I've personally ever enjoyed (if you like watermelon).

A: Bright, sunny, straw-yellow. Like a typical wheat beer would look. Nice 1 finger head.

S: Mild malt. Hint of crisp fresh watermelon. Mild hops.

T: Like I said, it is pretty much "summer in a glass." You get a little malt, a little hops, and some definite cool, crisp, and REFRESHING watermelon. I love it (but I also love watermelon). It has just enough watermelon so that you really get a good taste of it and can appreciate it but it is not overpowering or cloying in the least.

M: SO easy to drink. Smooth and tasty. It goes down great in the heat of a summer's day or in the waning sunset of a summer's evening on the deck.

O: If I was looking for something to have multiple glasses/cans of while spending some time outdoors in the warm weather, this would absolutely be my choice (if I could only get more of it in TN). I definitely recommend it as a summer-time brew.

bcostner1, Jun 10, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a deep yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is light and somewhat sweet, little else can be noted.

Taste is sweet, somewhat fruit-like but difficult to taste anything watermelon-like.

Mouthfeel is sweet and quick to go down.

Overall it's a beer that's not noteworthy other than the cool can.

danronian, Jun 09, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Straw yellow beer that was slightly hazy. One finger bubble head rose up and disappeared quickly to nothing. No anything left on the sides.

S - Pale malts, mild mild hopping, and a slight bit of watermelon. Doesn't smell bad, doesn't really smell good.

T - Taste is actually okay. Some pale, sweet malts and a late breaking bit of watermelon that is actually pretty watermelon tasting. It's not bad, maybe could be drank at picics as opposed to BMC.

M - Light, decent carbontion.

O - Not a good beer, not a bad beer. Not a good beer. Easy to get down, but pretty much of non-consequence.

AgentZero, Jun 05, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Two finger white head (if you've beaten egg whites, the head looks like soft peak egg whites), Hazy Straw (about a 3 SRM), Very Nice Lacing

Nose: Big Wheat, Watermelon, Citrus (not connected to the watermelon at all, smells more orange zest-lime zest), Light Yeast

Taste: Wheat, Watermelon (Not the red part, more like the white rind.), Yeasty, Strong Carb,Body is well for a wheat

Final Thoughts: I was expecting alot more from 21st, but it is exactly that it says it is, a wheat beer with watermelon. This would be a good one for someone who has buddies that are coming over and they aren't big into the complex stuff but like blue moon and such but this is still enjoyable to the craft brew fan.

Food Pairings: Veggies, Salad, Grilled Chicken, Grilled Pork, Light body Cheeses.

bpw28, Jun 02, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Pale gold, slightly hazy, and big bubbles. Looks like a light wheat.

S: Barely any watermelon, bready grains and yeast.

T: Boring and light. Some weak and bland dried watermelon and light grains. Very slight sweetness and some dryness.

M: Refreshing for the summer and bubbly, it drinks like a light soda.

O: Not my thing. Not enough "punch." It's bland and clean, so it may appeal to people who like lighter tasting beers.

Jemonster, Jun 01, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Hazy light golden in body with fading white head. Smells of weak watermelon, wheat and light floral notes. Tastes of light floral, wheat, watermelon in the background, some light grains and a dry ending. Having the watermelon as an undertone makes for a refreshing session. Medium carbonation with light body. Cloying mouthfeel. Perfect for MDW down the shore.

JRed, May 30, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Slightly hazey, lighter sided, pale golden yellow color with a small quick to slip capping of off-white foam. Loose and drippy spots of lace don't stay for long.

Aroma is a simple clean wheaty, breadish aroma with a bit of the watermelon showing. Was hoping for a candish tone and sweeter watermelon, but nope, not happening.

Taste is again, more simple then complex, very simple really as it just has an very low key average wheat malt tone of light bready sweetness mixing with a watermelon rind tinge to its edges. I've had this at a couple Summer tasting events where they served this directly from a hollowed out watermelon. Which was awesome! By itself, there's no comparison really.

Body is semi crisp with a lightish medium body, a bit flat on carbonation for a wheat based fruit beer. Which in actuality, seems right on course with many of the other fruit based wheat beer that get cranked out by some of the big macro breweries and micros as well. Nothing I'd seek out really other then trying the hollow watermelon trick at a big Summer picnic or party.

tavernjef, May 27, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

- can poured into a 20 ounce glass
A - very cloudy hazy yellow with no head.
S - watermellon and wheat with a strange unpleasantness.
T - big wheat upfront followed by a mild watermellon aftertaste.
M - carbonated syrup.
D - not very drinkable for me.
I like fruit beers but not this one.

Beer4Baltimore, May 27, 2011