Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
2.91/5  rDev -11.6%

Not something I disliked necessarily but I was actually hoping it would have a bit more of the watermelon flavor.

Poured nice and I was hopeful after getting the first smell but after tasting it I was dissappointed. If I hadn't know what it was supposed to be I may not have guessed it, very light on the flavor.

Otherwise it drinks just like a light lager beer to me, not much to it. Gimmicky is how I described it to my GF.

Will I finish the six pack, yes. Will I buy again, probably not.

einman, May 10, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Purchased as a single from Whole Foods in Shortpump - Glen Allen, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a yellowy straw color, decent head.. but mostly unattractive. Smells kind of pissy in a way and there is a faint scent of watermelon seeds.. not so much watermelon but like when you accidentally chew on a seed. Tastes kind of pissy and watery in a way. Again the watermelon flavor is just not there at all other than a faint after though of a seed. Feels okay as far as body goes but the pissy watermelon seed garbage is kind of in the way.

Overall I would advise against this beer. I would love to try some of this brewery's other offerings as I have heard some good things. Hopefully this wont affect my perception of their other brews.

engagechad, May 10, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +17%

Pours a hazy, really pale, yellow with a one-finger white head. Goes quickly with no lacing. Not a great smell. Smells tart and a little sour, hints of wheat and yeast as well. Flavor begins with some light wheat flavor before a pleasant watermelon and honeydew sweetness rounds out this simple flavor profile. Really refreshing melon flavor, nailed it without making it taste like watermelon juice. Solid fruit beer minus the off-putting aroma.

uustal, May 10, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from 12oz can into DFH pint glass. No canning date is present on the packaging. It is a seasonal release, so I am assuming it isn't that old. **Preface: Not my favorite style. Purchased for wife who likes wheats.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color. Pretty much no head at all. Carbonation is not great. Some lacing.

S: Mostly yeasty. Strange smells. When I really got in there I got some fruit (melon) smells but not as overpowering as I was expecting.

T: The flavor of this is strange. Really different. I get the watermelon but it's just kind of off putting actually. I really didn't like this at all and almost drain-poured the last 1/4 of it.

M: Very watery (thank god actually). Nothing that lingers with you.

O: I like 21st Amendment and most of their offerings, just not into this one. I bought a 6-pack and THANK GOD the wife likes it....she'll be drinking the rest of it alone!

inlimbo77, May 06, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -26.4%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me.

OrangeAmps, May 05, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

First had: can from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Interesting idea, and I've seen it around enough to the point where I had to pick up a can.

Poured clear golden into a tumbler. Big white foamy head that dissipated after a few minutes to just a thin layer. Aroma (first impression) was stale and unimpressive, and I started having doubts that I picked up a bad beer. Then I took a sip. Watermelon!!! Very distinct, very fruity, but not overbearing or sickeningly sweet, and truly watermelon. Very light and smooth, no acidic harshness that often pervades wheat beers. Light body, easily drinkable. Great summertime beer. I want more.

Rifugium, May 04, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Very hazy light golden glass holds a very thin white head.

Smell: Wheat, earthy grain really, with just a hint of Jolly Rancher Watermelon candy. A bit of melon, but I really have to reach for it.

Taste: Watermelon comes through a lot more in the taste for me, overall a very mild beer, a little yeasty, a bit of coarse wheat, but not much here to tell.

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation doesn't get fizzy, smooth texture and a little oily mouth coat.

Overall: A good summer beer, nice, different, but a bit pedestrian. Still, could see it being a hit at parties as it is unlikely to offend and just enough going to be interesting.

Hand carried back from Maryland

HardTarget, May 01, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had been wanting to try this for a while...finally did...glad I did...probably won't be having another.

A-Pale yellow...clearer than I would have expected...light head that faded fast

S-Probably the best part of the beer...strong and pleasant smell of watermelon...smells of summer...picked up some wheat as well

T-I wanted to like the taste...but couldn't....watermelon all over the place...slight wheat...SLIGHT....the watermelon was too prevalent and even then...tasted watered down. Not pleasant.

M-medium carbonation

D-As I said above...I am glad I tried it...b/c I had wanted to for a while...I didn't finish the can I had...left about 1/4 in the glass. I generally am a fan of 21st amendment...but this one just didn't work...though I respect the effort in trying to brew a different beer.

crashdavisinoh, Apr 30, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

A: cloudy yellow with a thick white head that dies down to a thin line of bubbles.

S: Smells like a wheat beer with a very slight watermelon aroma in the background.

T: Interesting. The is an immediate melon flavor that mixes with the bready malt and wheat. I thought the sweetness was going to be out of control, but it wasn't that bad. The aftertaste isn't that great, sort of a residual musty melon flavor. Aftertaste brings it down, kind of gross.

M: Good mouthfeel. Light, smooth and good carbonation.

O: It's interesting. Doesn't taste too great

Kromes, Apr 27, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me.

mikechance, Apr 25, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Finally got around to trying this, as I've never had a beer from these guys nor have I ever reviewed one from a can. Shaking this and giving it a soda-like pour led to a nice head but there wasn't much else memorable about this, including the smell or taste. While I give these guys props for being big proponents of canning, I think that more attention should have been paid to the product inside of it!

Decent goldenrod hue to this with no lacing to be found as I worked my through the beer. The carbonation was light, like ginger ale,, and the watermelon only seemed like a background flavor. There was some wheat with this along with quite a bit of malt and the lightness of jasmine. The aftertaste was that of the watermelon but it was so barely present that it just felt like a very light wheat. It's not summer here but this was about as easygoing as a beer could be and I was expecting just a bit more of a kick to this, even though brews of this type tend to be "lawnmower beers".

I couldn't even feel the alcohol in this and as I already stated, this felt like a soda or a mixer that I'd pour into some spirit. Thankfully, I couldn't taste any of the can in the beer like I thought and I'm sure that that's a prejudice that I personally need to overcome. That being said, this beer comes up short and if I wanted something on a hot summer day, I'd choose something with a bit more haze and body in it. This isn't a novelty but it's not that far away from that status either.

JerzDevl2000, Apr 24, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Can. Pours a hazy dark gold with a thick white head. Very toasty, biscuity aroma with a fresh whiff of melon. The palate carries more biscuity malt, with some wheat notes and distinct but subtle watermelon in the finish. Not especially yeasty or wheaty to me, more biscuity and even a toasty mouthfeel, but subtle on the fruit which keeps things intriguing. Finish is crisp and dry. Very different, in a good way. But not enough for me to buy again.

beergod1, Apr 17, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -42.9%

Can, shaken as instructed into a pilsner glass

Cloudy pale yellow hue, like a bud light batch gone wrong. At least it has a moderately attractive 2 finger crisp white head.

Smell really needs improvement, I've had thomas hooker's watermelon whatever and it had much more watermelon character in the nose and the taste. This has some light watermelon smells very similar to sniffing the white part of the rind. There are also some sweet corn and circus peanut notes in here as well.

Taste is pretty bland, it has some watermelon character in there at certain points throughout the progression but nothing too great

Mouthfeel is pretty lively with carbonation but super light and watery.

Overall I'm unimpressed and Thomas Hooker's would definitey be my choice given the option.

STEG, Apr 14, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +17%

Shaken as per instructions on the can.

A - ~60% opaque banana yellow. Huge head on a sturdy our with a relatively loose bubble structure. Poor lace and retention.

S - Wheat, watermelon rind, honey, butter crackers.

T - A nice mirror of the nose. Wheat, honey, butter cracker. Lightly sweet watermelon juice and candied watermelon rind.

M - Light/medium body. Fairly full for the style. Sweet finish, but not oppressively so.

O - Nice, light, sweet and refreshing.

vfgccp, Apr 01, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -28.6%

This is the first Watermelon beer I've ever had. The color was hazy and yellow the aroma was sweet and had the natural aroma of the watermelon. The flavor was a little of te light side. It wasn't that bad but I think that if a watermelon wedge was added to this while drinking that it would amp this brew up and make it a lot better.

Knapp85, Mar 27, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Can from Perry's Liquor in Livermore CA

A - POured a slight hazed yellow color with a white head that leaves some spotty lacing behind

S - Is fairly light with wheat and some watermelon

T - Starts off like most wheat ales with wheat upfront then the watermelon starts coming through and dominates the finish

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

O - While I'm not that into fruit beers this one is pretty good as the fruit flavoring isn't overpowering making it very easy to drink this is going to be a good beer as the weather warms up worth trying sometime if you see it

armock, Mar 25, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours out a nice gold color, small amount of head. Smells like a wheat beer, bit of citrus some watermelon rind? Tastes very light, I can probably drink this all day... watermelon flavor, a bit like watermelon jollyranchers, nice amount of carbonation... definitely refreshing.

Amdy, Mar 23, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -42.2%

A- Looks nice, a thick-looking wheat, but a suspiciously thin head portends disappointment.

S- I like the smell, and I give props to them for trying something unusual. Deceptively promising.

T- I could analyze this to the wall, but there's only one word that sums it up: WEEEAAAKKKK.

M- Fizzy and insubstantial.

There's just nothing standing behind this. A fruit beer has to be a good beer without the fruit. Nico and Shaun ought to pour an Abita Purple Haze and take notes.

slash196, Mar 23, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -62%

Have heard good things about 21st Amendment. Well lets say I was extremely disappointed with my 1st forray. This was a can poured into a frosted pint glass.

Boring, stale, flat taste, and that's just the good things. The taste of watermelon was overpowering. Head was small.

This was so bad the bartendered offered a substitution.

Hopefully my future posts will be for better buys.

omb, Mar 17, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -39.8%

Pale gold with almost no head, no lace, dead looking. Watermelon, fruit, and some faint wheat on the nose. Taste is mostly watermelon with a distinct wheat base. Fruity aftertaste. Very light, watery mouth. Overall this was a clunker. Glad I only have a 6 pack from a variety case. Those will tough to get rid of.

beermanbrian, Mar 16, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -53.5%

A- Looks like a nice wheat beer, nothing too exciting, medium head and worthy lacing.

S- Decent wheat notes with some watermelon, maybe a little bitterness from the hops or fruit itself, nothing unreasonable.

T- Nope, not gonna drink this. Watermelon rind, bitter awful watermelon rind and nothing else. Never poured a beer down the drain before and hope never to do it again but this is undrinkable, gross.

M- Poured it, might have been fine but I couldn't care what it felt like when it tasted wretched.

D- Couldn't handle a few sips, no way will I buy this again.

Guden, Mar 06, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a very light straw-yellow with a fluffy white head that quickly recedes, leaving a slight haze on the surface.
S - Aromas of sweet malt, wheat, citrus, and just a little bit of watermelon. Smells slightly tart and lactic, almost Berliner Weisse-like.
T - Tastes...like watermelon. Not too bad, actually, the watermelon flavor seems fairly authentic, not too Jolly Rancher-ish. More sweet malt and wheat make up the backbone.
M - Thin and watery with fairly crisp carbonation.
D - On a hot day this may not be too bad. Not really my thing, but I can see what they were going for.

jsanford, Mar 02, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a hazy light yellow color, very pale. Forms a nice 3 finger white head that recedes after about 5 minutes leaving a thin foam cap on top of the beer. Lacing is average.

Smell is malts, bread, light citrus/lemon, light sweet fruits, mainly watermelon and coconut.

Taste begins with malt, bread and wheat and progresses to some sweet watermelon notes that are very mild but persist up until the end of the sip and aftertaste. Also there is a discrete aromatic/spicy hop presence contributing to light bitterness towards the finish.

Very light in body and easy to drink. High carbonation jacks up the drinkability. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery as both the malts and watermelon are very subdued.

Not a very flavorful beer at all but it sure is highly drinkable and refreshing. It is definitely worth trying but that's about it.

paulozanello, Feb 20, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -24%

Grabbed a can (for ticking purposes) while on a roadtrip to Minnesota...

Served in a tulip.

Smells and looks more like a Saison... A tart, lemony, hazy, orange-tinted yellow in color...

The smell is tart lemons and odd spices... Hard to pinpoint-- perhaps it's just spicy notes from the yeast and wheat.

The taste actually pulls off watermelon! Very very watermelon. A hint of watermelon bubbalicious gum... Quite interesting.

A small head fizzled quickly to nothingness and left no lacing.

As it warms, the smell becomes more of a fruit juice blend-- ruby red grapefruit/watermelon... Hmmmm.

The taste is better than the smell, but neither are great.

The body needs more carbonation. It comes off as too thick and oily.

Overall, this was a fun one to try, a fun one to tick, but not one I ever want again.

AleWatcher, Jan 23, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a Clown Shoes pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy straw colour with a quarter inch fizzy why head that disappears leaving no lacing at all. Small particles suspended in the pour.

S - Nice typical wheat notes here with just the faintest of watermelon rind aroma.

T - Tastes like well, a wheat beer with some semi-fake watermelon flavour. The watermelon at some point has almost a rind taste, where others it tastes like watermelon candy or icecream.

M - Crisp almost high carbonation. Feels nices in the mouth and refreshing on the tongue.

D - Very refreshing. A watermelony flavoured lighter beer great for summertime. Looks like your typical "light" beer, not much on the nose. Still its enjoyable.

rudzud, Jan 18, 2011