Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Poured from the can into a Sam Smith's nonic. Body is murky stra-yellow with a small head that's gone quickly.

S: Some grain, and some sort of fruitiness - I wouldn't say watermelon if I hadn't known there was watermelon in this beer.

T: There's the watermelon. It's not in-your-face, but it's there. It actually kind of works - light taste of watermelon over the wheat twang. Lingering fruitiness though isn't exactly my cup of tea - of course, this from someone who generally doesn't like fruit beers. The more I drink it, the more it tastes like one of those hard watermelon candies.

M: Carbonation feels active, though fine-bubbled, on the front of the mouth and lips. Body is light.

O: Interesting. I bought a single can of this and it will be the last can I buy. Not bad for what it is, but like I said, I'm not a fan of fruit beers in general and I don't really see the gain in putting watermelon in beer.

Kendo, Jul 22, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +18.5%

With the initial pour, it appears rather thin, colored a clear pale honey-yellow. Thick wisps of a wheaty haze fall as it sits, eventually clouding the entire brew and darkening the color to a more uniform honey-gold – though the thickness remains 0n the thin side. The carbonation is quick and sparkling, erupting as it hits the glass and building a nice 3-finger thick head of thin, lacy foam that sticks around for quite a while afterwards, falling into a gossamer ring and sheer patches as I sip it. While the bubbles seem hardy enough, they refuse to stick to the side of the glass, leaving no trace it was ever there.

The aroma is very light, carrying hints of watermelon and fresh-cut rind, minimal hops, faint grainy notes and some wheat malt, but none are heavy enough to make a lasting impression until the beer is near room-temperature.

Hell or High Watermelon holds a light body, dry mouthfeel, and moderate semi-spicy carbonation. The clean, crisp authentic watermelon flavor is immediately present at the forefront, and fades into a lighter, sweet melon tang while touches of grainy wheat and malt follow through to the end. The profile of this beer overall is very light, but that doesn’t keep it from being the perfect thirst quencher, especially when it’s 115º outside. As much as I disagree with the current stereotypes of women and (fruit) beer, I think that this could be an awesome first step into the craft beer world for both men and women who are still trying to become interested and want to ease themselves in.

Lucklys, Jul 22, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +30.7%

By my rating, you can tell I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I was looking for a slighlty sweet summer beer to have during cook outs and BBQs, or sitting by the pool and relaxing in the sun. Sit back with a BBQ burger, fruit salad, and enjoy the sunny day.

A: Average for a beer. You can see lots of carbonation, and there is not much of a head. But for a crisp, summer beer, I don't WANT a large head on my beer. Also, an extra .5 for the can design.

S: GREAT. Crack open the can and pour and just smell grain and fresh melon. One of those beers you love to take a full nose full when you drink.

T: The melon is more in the background of the taste. You get just the quick hint of bitterness, then the flavor of some more popular wit beers, where replacing some citrus notes is the melon. It does not linger long at all, but it refreshes very well.

MF: The high carbonation just works with the overall package. It is every so slighlty syrupy as well. It all helps the beer become a refreshing package.

To those who have bought a 6 pack and don't enjoy it, save one for a BBQ, and give it another shot. For low bitterness/refreshing summer beers, this is one of my favorites.

SillyCheez, Jul 21, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

21st Amendment has always intrigued me, despite never making anything that has ever really blown my hair back. Maybe its just the cans, but regardless, I found myself buying this, thinking it would be an interesting and unique summer beer. At the very worst, its first watermelon beer I've ever tried...

Pours a light golden yellow with a slight yeasty haze. Perhaps a finger or so of head that fizzles out pretty quickly. Boasts lousy retention and no lacing as it dies down. Quite frankly, for a wheat beer this is disappointing.

Smells of watermelon rind and golden wheat, with a slight sour quality. Reminds me of candy almost, like what I'd imagine a Starburst would smell like in liquid form.

Tastes pretty much as the can advertises. Watermelon flavoring up front with a wheat backbone. Tangy aftertaste with the most minimal hop bitterness for balance. Different for sure, and actually, quite good.

Mouthfeel is reasonably light and incredibly easy-drinking. Wouldn't consider this a session beer necessarily though, as it may be a bit of a novelty. I might get sick of it after a few.

Overall, this accomplishes what it sets out to do. A refreshing summer beer that proves itself as an ideal pool lounging candidate that your girlfriend probably won't argue with. Worth a shot if you like wheat beers.

mocktm, Jul 21, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a very very pale golden with a few thin strands of bubbles rising from the bottom. A reasonable head formed upon pour, but quickly left just a thin layer that clung just a bit to the sides. Aroma was a bit off putting, smelled slightly sour with a hint of pickles and grain. Taste was of watered down watermelon bubble gum or diluted sorbet. Not a natural flavor, but one that was easily identifiable. Felt thin and watery in the mouth. Didn't coat at all and had just a tad of carbonation while drinking. Overall was a blah beer. Might be fun to bust out as a gimmick while friends are over at a BBQ mid summer, but nothing I would want to drink on a regular basis.

mountdew1, Jul 12, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -44.4%

A: Unfiltered, golden yellow color. Absolutely no head. Looks like a ton of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: A little bit of soft sour citrus notes, with a touch of watermelon rind. Fresh baked bread aroma also.

T: Tastes kind of like I just bit into the rind of the watermelon. I don’t taste much actual watermelon juice. Its both bitter and sweet, but not in a good way. Finishes pretty clean, and doesn’t leave much flavor to linger.

M: Pretty light/thin feeling beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Not a very good beer. It’s a weird flavor that I didn’t expect and really doesn’t deliver the promised watermelon taste. I find it extremely strange that this beer is one of the best sellers at Winking Lizard. I won’t be buying this beer and will stick to other offerings from 21st Amendment.

sdsurfer217, Jul 09, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cool looking can with the statue of liberty sitting on the Golden Gate bridge

A-Veiled pale yellow devoid of any head. A vigorous pour only leads to some soda-like fizzing.

S-Slighly sweet, sour funky, somewhat earthy. I may be picking up some watermelon but I may also be imagining it.

T-Interesting brew. Watermelon is definately present at the fore, slighly sweet and very thirst quenching. The brew falls apart at the back end, however, some wheat and mild hop twang lead to a rather lackluster finish. I'm giving it higher points than I normally would because the idea of watermelon beer is just so friggin cool

M-I am tempted to say thin, but it is merely light.

D-the former "drinkablility" category. I actually would buy this again..it is not great, but it is refreshing and unusual. I dig offbeat stuff, and this certainly is that. Low in abv to pound down in the summer heat...I like a summer refresher that lets me drink more of it.

caddybuyer, Jul 08, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -22.5%

A cellar temperature can is poured into a pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy and has the color of tarnished gold. A few fingers worth of off-white foam rises out of the liquid, but it doesn't stay for long. Already the bubbles that make it up are popping. Eventually, all that is left is a skim of foam. No lacing is left behind. Lots of carbonation bubbles are rising within the glass.

The beer has a sweet wheat aroma. I can smell watermelon, but I'm not sure I would have been able to identify the scent if I didn't know this beer had the fruit in it.

This is a sweet, fruity beer. Some aspects of its wheat base are apparent, especially as I swallow. Mostly I taste sweet watermelon flavors, like a piece of candy. There may be a hint of bitterness as soon as I taste the beer, but if it is there, it is gone quickly.

For a summer beer, this one sits heavy in my mouth. A lot of foamy carbonation is present, and the coating is thick and sticky.

Overall, this isn't a beer I'd go back to. I prefer a lighter wheat beer for a summer seasonal, and I'm not a fan of watermelon the fruit, so watermelon the beer probably isn't for me either. Still, its an interesting and commendable experiment.

ToasterChef, Jul 06, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz can served in a standard shaker pint.

pours a cloudy, dull yellow tone while yielding a 3/4" spritzy head that vanishes almost instantly. no lacing to speak of.

nose is 'meh'... maybe even a notch below. definitely wheaty/grainy with maybe a bit of citrus. not really getting much watermelon, a bit in the background.

flavor is an improvement, albeit a mild one. wheaty; watermelon is much more evident, and tastes authentic - as i was braced for some artificial jolly rancher like watermelon flavor. not a whole lot going on beyond that. mouthfeel is fine, medium-light bodied with average carbonation.

overall this one is OK. inoffensive and some good qualities to it, but nothing to write home about - or go out of one's way to acquire. i might buy it to diversify my beer menu at a cookout, but that's about it.

perrymarcus, Jul 06, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

I am currently enjoying this beer after a long walk home from work in the summer heat:

A: very little, if any visible head. Slightly murky (as I would expect of an unfiltered wheat)
s: kind of like bud light. not impressed or excited upon smelling it.
t: this is where I got a bit confused... at first it tastes a bit bland a watery, but it rounds out a bit towards the swallow and finishes with a kick of watermelon followed by a bitterness. interesting and refreshing.
m: nothing special, high carbonation, watery.

stellashay, Jul 05, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

6 pack of cans from Roth’s Sunnyside Market, S.Salem.$7.99 says 4.9% alc on the can. Appearance? Murkey golden yellow..almost like a farmhouse cider, tiny white bubbly head. Really picking up next to nothing as far as aroma..some hay and dough maybe. Picking up the water melon in the taste right away and its not candy type but real watermelon..after that its just wheatiness..VERY simple. Thin mouthfeel but you cant hold that against it per style. Overall very dissapointed..very very boring even in the heat.

Reidrover, Jul 04, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +14%

12 ounce can poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden orange color with an initial fluffy white head. The dissipation was rather quick but it did retain a thin foam cap and ring. Lacing is on the weak side.

S: Grain, lemon zest, a bit musky with an overall citrus forward nose. It's nothing overpowering at all but nothing is off putting. I wish there were more aromas of watermelon coming through in the nose but I couldn't find anything of the sort.

T: Wheat, watermelon comes through quite nicely on the first sip and it does taste quite natural which I wasn't expecting. It's not overly sweet or artificial tasting by any means, which I enjoy. Subsequent sips do lose the watermelon flavor but it retains a bit of itself as your palate adjusts. Some bready malt notes come out in the finish as does just a hint of tartness from the fruit flavors. A lot better than I expected.

M: Very bubbly, well-carbonated, honestly this is how I like wheat-esque beers to be. Again, nicely done.

This beer is a unique take on a wheat-centric beer by adding watermelon, something of which I've never seen done before. And it works quite well. Nothing seems overpowering but the aromas could use some work, as could the flavor profile in the taste. I'd like to see the watermelon stay relevant throughout, but a nice base for a flavored wheat beer.

ShanePB, Jun 30, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -42.9%

A: Pale straw color with absolutely no head. I tried swirling to see what would happen and nothing did.

S: Watermelon. Fake artificial watermelon. No wheat, just watermelon.

T: Watermelon and very light wheat. The problem I have with it tasting only like watermelon is watermelon is a very light flavor because, well, it is mostly water. combined with almost no wheat flavor, this just tastes watered down. It is like Coors added watermelon to their recipe.

M: Light, crisp. Nice mouthfeel if you want something crisp around summertime.

O: will not be drinking again. I like 21st Amendment but this is just not very good.

avaldivia, Jun 29, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +22.5%

Can produced in Cold Spring, MN. Purchased at Bridgeview Liquors in Moorhead, MN. Marked on base of can as 1129 1229. Served at ~8F into a Weizen glass, swirling last 1/4 of can.

A: Straw yellow with a bit of haze from the yeast. ~1cm white head that retains and drops slowly, leaving a ring for the entire session.
S: Initial hit of citrus, followed by watermelon bubble gum. Hint of pepper for a moment.
T&M: Fairly straight forward beer. A bit of malt and viscosity from the wheat, with a very well balanced level of watermelon in there. Strong enough to be noticable, but not so strong as to make it overpowering.
O: I really enjoyed this beer. I could see how this could be a polarizing beer...

kjyost, Jun 28, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from can into pint glass...

A- Pours golden straw colored; very light and hazy from suggested yeast rouse. Small foamy white head, fluffy but not stable as it disappears completely in short amount of time

S- Has sweet subtle watermelon followed by very slight tartness... Some very slight yeast spice to balance and a bread-y malt characteristic.

T/M- Tart and sweet while being very refreshing. Fruit is subtle but it always reminds you it's there. Light body and crisp carbonation on the tongue with lingering bubbles... Beer flavor has a grainy wit base which is definitely there, but could be slightly more prominent...

O- Great fruit beer for a hot day. I'm not one to love fruit beers but this was decent per style. I would buy this again for it's purpose, not to mention the girlfriend liked as well... I'm a bit sick of all fruit beers getting horrible scores just because it isnt the most favored style

TheGordianKnot, Jun 28, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +48.3%

I always look forward to the summer and this beer.

I drank this straight from the can while peddling the CyclePub to a brewery - after work...

First, this is a perfect combination of a fruit and beer - the soft watermelon hints pair perfectly with the wheat style. It is amazingly refreshing during a hot day (or while peddling to a brewery). Great level of carbonation too! I would highly recommend this beer to any one...

ardeano, Jun 24, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Watermelon! How refreshing! Poured into a glass a large head erupts and loiters for a bit but leaves without a trace. A nice hazy golden wheat body, the beer has got some yeasty and bitter rind aromas going on whereas the taste is sweet with a nice watermelon flavor. It's not hard to pick out, this is apparently a watermelon beer, and a good one at that. It's got a smooth mouthfeel and very easy drinking at 4.9%. I feel like I've been calling a lot of beers refreshing and I'm gonna call this one as well. Good beer. Yay summer.

wcintula, Jun 24, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours from a 12oz can into a pint glass a hazy light straw color with a fingers worth of white head that dissipates quickly.

Nose is some sweet watermelon and grainy wheat.

Taste actually gets the watermelon aspect pretty spot on. Not too syrupy-sweet and fake-tasting like some fruit beers. The watermelon mixes with some standard wheat and a little sweet malt.

Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly refreshing. A great session beer.

Fruit beers can be really hit and miss, but this one works for me. The watermelon is subtle but tasty, nice grainy wheat and sweet malt, and crisp. My local bottle shop (Brew in south Philly) has six-packs of this for $12, and I'll definitely be picking up at least a few more this summer.

cjoc83, Jun 24, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first thought was this is probably going to be sweet and nasty but I give credit to 21st in that they made the watermelon work well with the style. The nose is watermelon but the taste is wheat with only a hint of the fruit. Actually finishes nicely with a smooth grainy taste with that watermelon on the tip of the tongue. Could have been a disaster but it actually works.

canucklehead, Jun 21, 2011

uuuuhhh wow I am a little suprised at myself right now for liking this beer. My gut said no because I can't stand wheat beers latly but the draw to something new won in the end.

looks- poured out of a 12 oz can bought at the boise co-op in the Boise Idaho's Northend. looks like a light hef.

Smell- watermelon on low side. not to strong but refreshing
Taste- I wasn't sure what to think at at first but there is a sweat refreshment to it with true watermelon and yeah a little wheat in there. I would say it is less beer then I expected.

mouthfeel- High in carbonization

Overall this beer is right. I wouldn't reach for two in a row but I did enjoy it and think I will have another one in the future....

isualum12, Jun 19, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one. You can tell how much he likes me as this was the first beer he offered upon my return to Chicago. Served in a Jester King snifter.

A - A finger of white foam fizzles to a thin ring, leaving minimal lace. Hazy orange body.

S - Initially I thought this smelled pretty bad. Stale hops, lightly rotten fruit, and cloying malt sweetness. However, as it warmed up I actually got more of the advertised watermelon flavor and it got a bit better.

T - Taste is a marked improvement. Watermelon, light wheat and grain, and some sugary malt sweetness. Perhaps a bit saccharine, but fairly enjoyable for what it is.

M - Medium-light body, smooth pleasant medium-low carbonation. Pretty clean and refreshing.

D - Once you get past the aroma, there's a decent beer waiting. Still, not something I'd want to bother with again. Markedly inferior to the watermelon lambic hombrew someone brought to RBWG 2010.

MasterSki, Jun 16, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

it was also like a watery pale ale with a hint of sweetness behind it, but the sweetness was watermelon. the carbonation was more under control, but the watermelon was a bit too cloyingly sweet unlike similarly disfavored beers like deschutes twilight ale. it's not as drinkable as similar beers just due to the cloying sweetness.

Franch, Jun 16, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

John_M, Jun 15, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

A: pours a hazy straw yellow into an American shaker pint with a solid finger of fluffy white head that leaves some spotty lacing.

S: Wheat, sweet light malts and a hint of watermelon. some floral hops.

T: Heavy on the wheat and noticable light malt backbone, comparable as good to a hefeweizen and with the addition of the subtle watermelon that slowly takes the tongue by surprise makes this beer stand out.

MF: What we as advocates should come to expect from a light summer beer; refreshing, light soft body and good effervescence.

O: This has slowly become my favorite "tubing down the river" beer by beating out Butternuts Hefe. The can makes it portable while the lower ABV makes it great for having a bunch while floating and staying coordinated enough to scale the muddy hill back to the car. I wouldnt get this for much of any thing else except maybe a hot day on a boat or maybe a company picnic.

nickthetick, Jun 14, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

I picked up a case of this while in ATL recently. My wife and I had just bought a 6-pack to "try" and we liked it so much that we had to stock up before coming back to TN.

I don't understand the very "average" opinions of this beer. You have to appreciate this beer for what it is. And what it is, in my opinion, is perhaps one of the most perfect summer beers that I've personally ever enjoyed (if you like watermelon).

A: Bright, sunny, straw-yellow. Like a typical wheat beer would look. Nice 1 finger head.

S: Mild malt. Hint of crisp fresh watermelon. Mild hops.

T: Like I said, it is pretty much "summer in a glass." You get a little malt, a little hops, and some definite cool, crisp, and REFRESHING watermelon. I love it (but I also love watermelon). It has just enough watermelon so that you really get a good taste of it and can appreciate it but it is not overpowering or cloying in the least.

M: SO easy to drink. Smooth and tasty. It goes down great in the heat of a summer's day or in the waning sunset of a summer's evening on the deck.

O: If I was looking for something to have multiple glasses/cans of while spending some time outdoors in the warm weather, this would absolutely be my choice (if I could only get more of it in TN). I definitely recommend it as a summer-time brew.

bcostner1, Jun 10, 2011