Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
brentk56

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: Pours a dirty pale lemon color with a very modest head; not much in the way of retention or lace

Smell: Oddly enough, I pick up a bit of spice cake with a chocolate dusting; the watermelon is present, but hidden beneath the other aromas

Taste: The watermelon comes through much more so upon the taste, with hints of the chocolate powder and spice cake being much less pronounced than in the aroma; after the swallow, the flavor fades but the hints of watermelon reappear at the very end

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: The beer grew on me; I like that it is not sweet and has some underlying complexity; I doubt I would seek it out very often but kudos to the brewer for developing a signature recipe

Thanks, hoppymeal, for the opportunity

10-24-2008 00:32:50 | More by brentk56
OStrungT

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours a clear, light golden wellow color with a thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has an odd aroma, to say the least. I can smell some watermelon. It has a very dominate grainy aroma however. It also has a very subtle spicy aroma. Not what I was expecting, and a little less than I would desire.

This beer tastes better than it smells, but only a little. Grainy. Very grainy. Some subtle watermelon flavor mixes in. That is about it. Not bad, but although I cant really put it into words, its not wat I was expecting.

This beer is high in carbonation. It is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grainy watermelon aftertaste.

I dont knwo about the drinkability of this one. It is low enough in alcohol to make putting down a few easy, but I didnt like the taste, so I couldnt see myself drinking too many.

Overall: I am happy to have finally had the chance to try this one. Every time I stop by the brewery, they are out, so having my wife find it was a real treat. Although it wasnt what I was expecting, I have no regrets about it. Nice try 21st Amendment.

10-23-2008 20:50:37 | More by OStrungT
hwwty4

Missouri

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk for this one.

Poured a 12oz can into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a hazy straw with a 1 finger head that disappeared within seconds and left no lacing at all. The aroma reminds me of a whole grain bagel with some sort of berry cream cheese. Good for breakfast not for beer. The taste is just flat out strange. The flavor is very grainy. It really reminds me of a Everything Bagel form Einstein Bagels mixed with a glass of water that had a Watermelon Jolly Rancher dropped in. Good for Zima, not some much for beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. I'm sorry, but I think I would choose a glass of water over another one of these brews.

10-21-2008 04:31:16 | More by hwwty4
yesferro

Mississippi

3.68/5  rDev +12.5%

I received a can of this thanks to kplynch and RblWthACoz. I couldn't wait to try this oddball beer, I poured it in my hoegaarden glass and the smell hit me pretty hard, I think you could smell the watermelon on the other side of the room. The taste of it surprised me, I did not get the jolly rancher flavor, it's more like a watermelon rind taste to me. Goes down really smooth, not something I would drink a whole lot of but I can imagine this would be good on a really hot day. It is rather tart and refreshing.

10-06-2008 22:21:34 | More by yesferro
BeerTruth

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this one from kplynch, thanks man!

12 oz. can poured into the special Sam Adams glass. I was at the brewpub a little over a year ago and they were serving this with a wedge of watermelon which I thought was pretty cool.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a generous two finger white head that slowly falls to a layer of foam. A fair amount of webbing sticks on the sides of the glass but disapears shortly after. Smell starts spicy and a touch sweet from the wet watermelon. A musty wheat aroma with a disturbing dish soap scent that I can't get past as well. Taste is a slight improvement from the nose. Sweet watermelon up front with lemon and zesty wheat. Some pale malts and an interesting zucchini flavor that I could do without. Crisp and refreshing light body with an aggressive carbonation sting. A bit sweet at times, but I could drink this on a hot summer day. Glad I had the chance to give this can a whirl, but I don't see myself looking for this again anytime soon.

10-05-2008 04:26:09 | More by BeerTruth
pwoods

2.98/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to torchednoodle for this extra.

12oz. can poured into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a lemon pulp yellow with light hazing. 1 finger worth of white head forms with decent retention. Not much lacing.

S: Juicy watermelon and tart smelling wheat struggle for power. Plenty of sweetness from the watermelon.

T/M: Pretty tart. Decent watermelon taste with lots of tartness and bitterness along with the same from the wheat. A strong drying effect as well. Carbonation is quite high with a medium light body.

D: Very unique but not executed extremely well. Drinkable but one is enough for me.

10-03-2008 00:57:30 | More by pwoods
LittleBreeze

1.05/5  rDev -67.9%

Pale yellow. Aroma is an awful combination of sweetness mixed with pickled rind and layered with sweaty rotten wheat. Bad combination. Bad idea. This beer fails as a fruit beer and as a wheat beer. The taste was an unpleasant gag fest sour something with a hint of wheat. An after taste lingers long after the beer was poured out. I wanted to cry.

09-30-2008 16:41:08 | More by LittleBreeze
ckeegan04

3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Hazy golden yellow in color with an average foamy white head. Head has poor retention but leaves decent lacing.

S - Very grainy wheat aroma with light hints of watermelon. More just a generic sweet smell to the beer.

T - An artificial watermelon sweetness up front with a husky wheatness backing it up. Almost taste like somebody dropped a watermelon Jolly Rancher into an above average American wheat ale. The sweetness is a little too strong but this is still a nice kick back an relax type of wheat.

M/D - Medium bodied with a grainy chewiness to it. Sweetness is a little too artificial for my liking but it does have a simple refreshing characteristic to it.

09-26-2008 21:27:17 | More by ckeegan04
tompearson

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Strange way I got this beer. It was mailed to me from a friend of my daughter from San Francisco to Portland. Anyway this was a nice beer! Could drink tons of it as it is refreshing and tasty. And it does have a hint of watermelon to boot. I liked it and wish more were available up here.

06-22-2010
It's here! New Seasons

09-14-2008 23:29:40 | More by tompearson
corey0212

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

Got this interesting brew from raiser in the New Trader BIF Redux!

Pours a nice cloudy lemon yellow color, decent sized white head fades somewhat quickly, leaves a handful of small patches of lace on the glass. Lots of wheat in the nose, some lemon, but really no trace of watermelon at all....until the first taste. Wow! That's some serious watermelon taste, sort of like a watermelon Jolly Rancher, tart citrus, slight grainy taste. Crisp and refreshing, slightly drying/puckering sweetness. Certainly something different for me, and while it's not something I'd want to drink all the time, I can see this being a good time at a summer BBQ.

09-14-2008 20:37:18 | More by corey0212
GoreStorm

4.3/5  rDev +31.5%

i was skeptical about the can...turned out to be pretty good...

poured a mildly hazy gold color.
the head was fluffy and stayed throughout.
scent of grain and watermelon and fruit
taste is the same, much more pronounced, some light strawberry flavor also. very nice.
solid wheat beer mouthfeel.
very drinkable. i put back 5 cans and didn't flinch.

09-14-2008 09:40:21 | More by GoreStorm
bradybeer

4.1/5  rDev +25.4%

Pours out of than can cloudy with a rocky white head. some cloves, spice, and watermelon rind? No hop bitterness, of course, but there is that watermelon rind again. Slightly tangy finish. Can't say I get any watermelon sweetness-but there is a citrus flavor. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Could drink this all day.

09-14-2008 00:50:01 | More by bradybeer
filmlabrat

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Trying to put personal biases aside here. Not my favorite kind of beer. Refreshing but unremarkable.

Well crafted for the beer type, but watermelon is wimpy and subtle and I think all the aromatics went away before it got close to the can. Maybe I can taste a bit of watermelon in there but can't be sure. I can taste the wheat.

The light tartness is thirst quenching. Have no idea where that 5.2% ABV is hiding because it tastes like 2%

My wife laughed at me for drinking it.

09-03-2008 04:42:04 | More by filmlabrat
Zorro

2.93/5  rDev -10.4%

An elusive beer just arrived locally.

Cloudy amber colored beer with a tall white head.

Smell is wheat and citrus with a faint vegetable funk that smells more like pumpkin than anything else.

Taste starts out neutral with a fairly strong watermelon caramel flavor. Something like a wheat beer in a glass that got some Midori dropped in it. Tastes sort of like old candy.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Blech! IPA Please! NOT the tastiest beer this brewer makes. Worth a shot to taste the hype.

09-03-2008 04:23:53 | More by Zorro
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a clear pale yellow with a nice white head that diminishes very fast. Nose is pale malt and some slight wheat. Taste follows with slight wheat flavor, and a decent dose of watermelon. It's like candy watermelon though, not real watermelon. The WM flavor is there, but the wheat beer is missing. Mouthfeel is too thin. Drinkability is pretty good. Overall an interesting concoction, but probably one I won't visit again. Their IPA is great, but this one just slightly misses the mark for me.

09-02-2008 03:24:21 | More by AKBelgianBeast
m1ked

3.53/5  rDev +8%

I have heard of this mythical beer. I even travelled to the brewery to try some. It was before baseball even started, so no luck. So I finally encountered some just in time for Labor Day.

A- Poured right from the can into my pint glass. A hazy light yellow tan with barely a head to even mention. Looks like a headless hef.

S- Sweet maltiness with a touch a sour fruit. Actually green applely to me. Not much there besides that. I probably would not guess watermelon as the fruit o smell.

T- Definetly get the sweet malts, and the distinct tanginess with what must be the watermelon. It has a citrus character to it. Like a hef with a lemon in it. Then, the more I taste it, the more I recognize the watermelon, and the more I like it.

M- This is an easy drinking beer. Medium bodied with nice carbonation in there that complements the citrus I taste.

D- I feel good about drinking this beer because it is my first experience with any watermelon beer, I love summer, I love drinking beer in the summer, and this beer is refreshing. Definetly not on my session list, but I like it.

09-02-2008 03:07:18 | More by m1ked
torchednoodle

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can.

Ultimately, somewhat depressing. I had one of these last weekend and knew I didn't like it then, but decided to hold off until I had a second one at a later date. Does not smell particularly appetizing.

While there are certainly some mild watermelon notes in there that become even more prominent in aftertaste, there's also a not-entirely-horrible-but-not-altogether-pleasant-either mild tartness and tang and wheaty goodness, and some hint of cucumber. Starts to taste better once it's been out of the fridge a few minutes, but the smell still kills it a bit.

Ultimately when I think about it, I've never had a watermelon wheat before, but this is is probably _exactly what a watermelon wheat beer should taste like_. But when there's so many other outstanding beers out there, this is really a novelty.

It's gonna be tough to polish off the other 4 cans left in my fridge.

08-31-2008 19:44:49 | More by torchednoodle
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.53/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Muddy lemon with a significant yeasty blurriness. The ivory colored crown maxed out at several fingers and looks good enough, both after the pour and as it descends. I like the lack of clarity and the attractive array of frost-like lace.

If I use my imagination, there *might* be a whiff of watermelon in the nose. Otherwise, the beer smells dull and not very distinctive, like an especially tart 'n tangy APWA. The flavor has some serious work to do. As is often the case, warming opens things up enough for the next highest score to be granted.

Hallelujah! Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer actually tastes like the fruit for which it's named. This is one unique beer. It gets high marks for having just the right amount of fruit flavor and for tasting natural rather than artificial. I guess that's what happens when 400 lbs of melons are used per batch.

The base beer is less than outstanding. There isn't much malt, it tastes a bit grainy and there's a little too much bitterness. Maltier and sweeter would be better, as long as the amount and quality of the watermelon juiciness remains the same. The finish is kinda, sorta crisp and quenching.

Although it isn't wonderful, the mouthfeel has just enough going for it to be considered above average. It's light-medium, is firmer than it is smooth and is generously bubbled. Not bad... not bad.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat succeeds because it tastes authentically watermelon-like. That's a good start. Here's hoping that 21st Amendment isn't completely satisfied and continues to tweak the recipe. Thanks to Georgiabeer for the opportunity.

08-29-2008 12:10:08 | More by BuckeyeNation
Brewlore

2.17/5  rDev -33.6%

Had this on tap whilst visiting the area.

It looks like a hefeweizen, cloudy golden in color with a frothy white head. Leaves a small lacing though.

The scent surprisingly does not contain a whole lot of watermelon. It's an off putting scent that does not exactly encourage you to drink it. Mostly malty aroma with the very subtle hint of watermelon

Taste wise, wow. Not good at all. I was very much looking to try this and was quite disappointed. It tasted malty and very vegetable in its taste. Rather than tasting the sweet juicy part of the watermelon your subjected to tasting the inner lighter in color near the rind part.

All that being said it felt quite nice on the palate with good levels of carbonation.

Not drinkable at all due to the fact that the it's not a good tasting brew.

08-28-2008 09:25:25 | More by Brewlore
Floydster

4.1/5  rDev +25.4%

12 ounce can purchased at City Beer Store in San Francisco, split with my girlfriend last night, poured into my small Stone glass

A-Golden yellow color with some orange, a little cloudy, a thin bubbly 1/4 inch white head, minimal retention, no lacing
S-Sweet malts, weak watermelon aromas, lots of wheat, some grassy accents, and light grains
T-Starts off with some watermelon juice but it is pretty weak and not sour or anything like people have said, tasted nothing like candy to me, middle has some chewy malt and wheat, finish is a little dry but still chewy, does not change much as it warms other than getting less popping and more subtle
M-Thin to medium bodied, too much carbonation, light, crisp, and slightly metallic mouthfeel, taste does not linger
D-Light on the stomach and smooth, would get tiresome possibly which is why it does not get a perfect score, low ABV and quite sessionable

This beer was really hyped and did not quite live up to it even though it was pretty good, nice watermelon concept that might work better if it was in a lambic or wild ale, might buy another six pack in a few months but not something I will get every day, recommended

08-26-2008 23:32:56 | More by Floydster
seaoflament

3.78/5  rDev +15.6%

Picked up a six pack today at Bevmo.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a good two inches of foam. A very soapy head with good retention until it falls down to a thin ring.

Aroma is surprisingly not as full loaded of watermelon as I thought and not as sweet. There is a tangy wheat and lemon aroma first and then the watermelon pushes through. There are also notes of grapes, salted cracker, passion fruit, and a bit of jolly rancher. Not bad at all.

Now the first time I tried this it was a small pour at a massive tasting and I literally chugged it down to get something else that was being poured and I remembered an intense watermelon flavored jolly rancher flavor. However, this time it seems more subtle with some wheat, lemon, and pepper in the mix...and I don't think this is an old can either since these guys just got distribution in San Diego. A bit of apple at first and then followed by some watermelon candy with a wheat finish.

Decent mouthfeel, clean and refreshing. I could easily drink this in a warm day when I have a sweet tooth and want something easy to drink.

08-22-2008 01:41:15 | More by seaoflament
goschool

2.33/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance: The pour is hazy gold with a large foamy white head that soon settles down as a thin layer with a smidgen of lacing.

Smell: The nose has pungent watermelon that straddles the line between fresh and fake/sugarfied in front of wheat aromas.

Taste: Good news: The watermelon is still on the right side of fresh/artificial Mendoza Line in the flavor profile. There's just a hint of Jolly Rancher. It doesn't seem like it would be an offensive flavor at all if it were by itself. Same goes for the wheat beer component. It's tastes like a nice, fundamentally sound, refreshing wheat beer. Bad news: The combination of the watermelon and wheat is nearly disgusting.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied without feeling watery with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I put a bottle of Irony Pinot Noir back once I saw the six pack of Watermelon Wheat. Now I have 5 cans to serve to friends or suffer through. I wonder how the pinot tastes...

08-21-2008 06:54:42 | More by goschool
cjgator3

2.83/5  rDev -13.5%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a slightly golden yellow color with a thin fizzy white head.

S- The aroma features some malt and wheat along with a faint watermelon smell.

T- Some malt and wheat flavors with really faint watermelon flavors in the background. Not much notable hop flavor.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation that is pretty cheap and macro lager feeling. But hey, there are no seeds to spit out!

D- Pretty run of the mill, I get bored with this one pretty quickly.

Overall, Hell or High Watermelon is a pretty average brew that I won't be jumping at to purchase again.

08-17-2008 03:49:10 | More by cjgator3
Murchmac

look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When you order it at the brewery you get a slice of watermelon in the glass. When you drink it at home, you hear the pop of the can...

Pours a cloudy yellowy orange. If that is a color on the color wheel.

I think it actually smells like vomit. The kind of vomit that is that yellow bile stuff, with a metallic tinge to it. Alcoa vomit from a can.

Tastes better than it smells. Delicate watermelon tastes with some light sweet malt. Good taste.

Kind of a bitter sweet aftertaste.

If this beer were a song, it would be "every rose has its thorn" by Poison. Cheesy, yet memorable. It also gave us Rock of Love 2 and daisy.

08-17-2008 03:43:59 | More by Murchmac
joe1510

3.68/5  rDev +12.5%

12oz Can

I recieved this in a recent trade with BrewerB, thanks again Brian! Hell or High Watermelon Wheat is yet another fine craft brew to be released in a can. I can't resist these canned beers for whatever reason. This flavored wheat fills the glass a hazy, yeast filled straw golden that pales even more when backlit. Large carbonation bubbles start off slow but quickly gain speed as they rush to the surface. I drank a few of these out of the 6-pack I received but this one has the best head yet, It grew to three fingers of dirty white quickly and slowly fell to a solid cap leaving layered, stepped lacing on its way down. This is a damn good looking summer wheat beer.

The aroma is very unique. I wasn't sure if I would get heavily artificial watermelon or what, I was actually expecting that, but I ended up getting a very refreshing nose from this wheat. Right away I'm hit with watermelon. There's a touch of the Jolly Rancher like candy sweetness but for the most part it's freshly cut watermelon with a little rind thrown in for good measure. There is a wheat twang that's soft at first but makes itself known on the backend. For a fruit flavored wheat, something I'm usually not too fond of, I'm enjoying the aroma on this one. The nose is fairly simple but good none the less.

The watermelon is a little more subdued on the tongue then it is in the nose. The wheat beer behind the watermelon is of high quality. A nice zippy wheat twang leads the way but falls off quickly letting the more subtle watermelon take hold. The watermelon for the most part is refreshing, juicy, and fresh but there is a touch of that Jolly Rancher sweetness which manages to stay out of the way. The wheat base and watermelon seem to go together quite well to create a refreshing summer beer.

The mouthfeel is just right on this beer. There's a nice smooth velvety body and the lower level of carbonation really helps that smoothness. After the swallow there's a touch of that wheat twang left behind that flashes a quick tartness along the back of the tongue.

This is a very easy drinking beer from 21st Amendment. The refreshing quality is through the roof but enjoying watermelon is a must to enjoy this beer.

Hell or High Watermelon Wheat is another well made beer from 21st Amendment. I wouldn't mind being able to pick this up every now and then when a full day out in the sun is in order and cans are called for; which is actually quite often. Thanks again for this unique brew Brian!

08-14-2008 23:01:43 | More by joe1510