Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
2.48/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a can into a snifter. Gentle pour led to about 2 fingers of a thin white head that quickly disappeared. Smells like canned corn. Tasted like canned corn with a slight jolly rancher watermelon finish. The longer it sat the more it smelled and tasted like watermelon but I ended up drain pouring half of this mess.
This beer was gross.

IdrinkGas, Jul 24, 2010

I don't review beers, but this beer was in need of a review.

This beer made me want to do a drain poor from just the smell, let alone the first sip, and i've drank some pretty garbage beers before that i could at least somewhat tolerate.

look - like day old warm apple juice, and i've seen more head on pouring water into a glass at high pressure.

taste - tasted like when you threw up in your mouth a little bit, and you force it back down, and you taste what you ate earlier that day, but with an obviously throwup-ie taste. and if there was any remote watermelon taste, it was the the taste of rind of a mellon, gross.

feel - couldn't really feel the mouth feel, since i was busy trying to swallow this beer.

overall - won't ever drink this again, i only finished it, since i paid $2 for it. after seeing this beer on a website showing cool beers i should try, name seemed interesting and inviting, and after looking at the "ba" overall reviews for this beer, i decided to try it, and man, was it a complete disappointment.

hipsterbob, Jul 24, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce can - $5.25 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a hazed, light yellow body with a small, quickly evaporating, white head.

Smell: Huh. No more than a very nominal wheat character and the purported fruit addition provides for a mere hint of greenish, vegetal tones. You could've said it was zucchinis and I would've gone along with it.

Taste: Lightly sweet, minor taste of wheat malt. Faintly grainy. Near nil bitterness throughout. Thin trace of watermelon husks which holds until the flat, yawnworthy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Sorry, but this one just didn't do it for me. It's difficult for me to be particularly interested in a bland wheat ale with a boring watermelon character. Bummer.

ChainGangGuy, Jul 23, 2010
1.18/5  rDev -64.1%

Poured into a pint glass on 7/21/10

Pale gold & hay colored. Haziness is apparent when held to the light; it actually casts a soapy sheen. White foam rose to 1/4th inch, though it fizzled out in an aggressive fashion. These bubbles appeared to hit the surface enraged. No head retention & no lace.

Ah, the aroma. Some toasted wheat notes are all I can tolerate. Something of a watermelon aroma, I guess; watered down juice. Maybe not quite stale, but well past it's prime (the watered down juice, that is). Imagine sticking your head in a garbage can with old watermelon rind in it. Some herbal, spicy overtones muddle it up even more. Ugh.

What a wretched tasting beer. Watermelon, huh? What a piss poor representation of it. All at once it tastes watered down, rotten, medicinal & tea-like. Wheat notes simply cannot compete with the awful flavor of whatever shoddy watermelon-type crap was used to brew this. I have a hard time imagining this wasn't aged on moldy tea leaves & rotten logs. It has a phantom garbage aftertaste to boot. This is vile.

Light body with very low carbonation; seemingly intent to let the flavors loiter. Never before have I encountered a 4.9% abv beer that has an even-so-slightly numbing sensation on the palate like this beer does. Musty, mold-addled undertones linger far too long.

Drinkability? This is the cud of the beer world. Never again.

Ryan011235, Jul 23, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -24.6%

We just had 21st amendment brewery become available here in Georgia; I really liked their IPA and figured I would give this one a try it being summer. Pours a watery yellow with very little yeast though the can was agitated per instructions. White head disappears almost immediately. Smell is rather sour and has hints of not so fresh vegetable matter. Taste is pretty much the same. I hope this is a bad batch because this, to me, is undrinkable.

Godot, Jul 17, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

A: A very pale yellow appearance. This is beer is very clear with plenty of effervescence. There is a big, white, fluffy head (due to an aggressive pour) that quickly fades down to about an eight of an inch and leaves some decent lacing throughout the glass, though that disappears in a couple of minutes.

S: The aromas are simple with scents of watermelon jolly ranchers with a little bit of wheat.

T: This beer is refreshing and tasty. I just mowed the lawn, and this is a good beer to pair with summer yard work. The watermelon taste is very present, which I like. I get a bit frustrated when I get a fruit beer and the fruit is so subtle it's hardly detectable. This beer is exactly what it says on the can, and I can respect that. That being said, I'm just not sure that I dig watermelons in my beer.

M: The feel is a bit thin, and has a slight burn in the back (possibly from the fruit?). I would prefer a little more wheat malt backbone and a slightly thicker feel, though I realize this is a low abv summer beer.

D: A good summer beer. One is plenty for me, as I would grow tired of any watermelon beer fairly quickly. Give it a try.

Huhzubendah, Jul 15, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +21%

Poured from 12oz can. Been wanting to try this beer forever.

A- Pours a hazy golden straw yellow color. One and a half finger white head which had little retention to it. Light streaking lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- This is pretty muted I thought overall. Some very light wheaty notes comes over a watermelon aroma as well. This smells a little sweet but interesting at the same time.

T- A light wheat upfront gets crushed pretty quickly with a over the top watermelon flavor. Although a little artifical tasting it does bring out a good watermelon quality to it. This dies down toward the ending with a little bit of wheat in the tailend.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little high for the style but good for this beer. Watermelon flavors pile up on the palate and lingers on all the way through the aftertaste. Flavor was a little one sided but even so still very clean to say the least.

D- This was a very drinkable beer. The lower ABV makes this a beer that you can drink a sixer of no problem. The fruit flavor is very pronounced and would make it a good for lack of better terms a girlie beer. A good beer that hits the style of what it says it is going to be.

alleykatking, Jul 13, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a can into my hefeweizen glass. poured a standard cloudy orange/yellow color. can dictates that there is yeast in the can, and i should "agitate" it before pouring. i poured two thirds and felt very weird swirling the rest in a can. whatevs. two finger white head, essentially no head retention, no lacing.

not getting watermelon in the smell, maybe a wheat cereal type smell, maybe a bit of citrus. not much else. tastes akin to a watery wheat beer with the tasteless white part of the watermelon mixed in. there is a slight bit of acidity to be found, but not enough to make things interesting. fairly light bodied for a wheat beer. not my favorite, i'm glad i only bought a single can.

sirdillon, Jul 13, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Ive been wanting to try this one for a while, found it on tap.

Appearance: Bright gold in color with a soapy head and some lace.

Smell: Bready/Biscuity malt and just a faint whiff of fruit, not quite sure if it is watermelon.

Taste: Standard wheat beer notes coupled with a light sour tang of watermelon. With the amount of watermelon juice used, it adds only a subtlety to the beer. Almost like dropping a watermelon jolly rancher into a light beer. Still interesting and certainly an achievement of what they were going for.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: The watermelon flavor was there the whole time, and was very intriguing. I wouldn't want more than one though, good for a novelty but average drinkability.

Stinkypuss, Jul 13, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

My can says it's made in MN, so I'm not sure where it's made. Anyway, the appearance was alright, had a nice little head to it, but died out quickly to a thin lacing, then to nothing. Color was a hazy, faint straw. My nose was a little stuffy, but from what I could tell, it was mostly a wheaty smell, with background smells of watermelon, malts, and very little hops. Taste was more wheat in the beginning, but as it went down your throat, the watermelon really showed itself. It was almost as if someone dropped a jolly rancher in my wheat beer, but not as sweet and fake tasting. Great beer for the summer! Overall a decent beer, glad I finally tried it.

JISurfer, Jul 13, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

Source/serving: 12oz. Can

Smell: Moderate watermelon notes which boarder on candy-like but not quite. Salty, toasty, and lightly herbal and earthy.

Taste: Overall, lots a caramel and not your typical wheat flavors. Intense caramel just as it touches the tongue which them moves to straw and bread malts up front with a thin, slightly bitter edge. Hints at grape. Tons of caramel in the middle. Smooth but not too sweet though. Tropical fruits in the background. Finish is quite thick with light caramel, bread and long lingering yeast.

4000qtrap, Jul 11, 2010

Poured from a 12oz can into a wheat glass.

The color is a hazy orange/yellow with a foamy off-white and no lacing.

The smell is a a bit wheaty with a slight melon flavor and some hints vegetable.

The taste is more cucumber than watermelon. There is a vague sweet juicy flavor but watermelon was not the first thing I thought of, or the second. The is a melon flavor that is slightly there in the backend but is a little lost in the biscuit flavor that hangs around among it.

The feel of this beer is refreshing and has a nice crisp feel to it like a larger. Goes down easy and is pretty drinkable.

Duhast500, Jul 09, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

12oz can poured into a Widmer hefe glass.

A: Hazy yellow straw, no head, no lacing.

S: Rotten vegetables, yeast, some watermelon.

T: A more pronounced watermelon flavor. Slightly sweet, wheaty and malty. Nothing too crazy, pretty subdued flavors.

M: Medium body, but closer to thin. Medium carbonation.

D: Easy drinker, would be good on a hot day if I couldn't find any water. Nothing special.

rwf08, Jul 09, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

I poured into a pint glass to one finger of head that was gone before I could discern what color it was. White if I recall correctly. The beer is pale yellow in color. The aroma is sweet and bready with a hint of watermelon. The taste is your basic wheat beer with some watermelon flavor. The flavor reminds me mostly of watermelon rind. It is crisp with a clean finish. it was worth a try and is quite refreshing after working outside 10+ hours in the mid 90's.

buschbeer, Jul 07, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +21%

Pours a golden yellow color with am inch of white head that didn't linger. Highly visible carbonation.

Slight hints of melon in the nose with a bit of straw. Not quite as much as I anticipated.

The taste is crisp and refreshing with just a touch of sweetness in the back of the throat as it tingles the tastebuds and tongue. This might be the ultimate lawnmower beer! The malt character is of straw and just a light bready character. The wheat might be evident in the medium mouthfeel but there is no haze.

Delicious to say the least. Highly drinkable and easy to put away. I am glad this made it's way over to Ohio.

stewart124, Jul 07, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Now at first a Watermelon wheat may not sound very appealing but you just need to give this guy one sip to see why it's a great backyard summer beer.

Pouring out a light hazy golden yellow. With a tiny white head that vanishes suddenly. The smell is what you'd expect, rather sugary with heavy watermelon and wheat. The wheat is light with a small watermelon back. It's subtle but very much there. Nothing very complex but really I don't want too much in this guy. At 4.9% it's perfect for spending the day hanging out with friends or family without having something that's going to knock you on your ass.

beerad666, Jul 05, 2010
1.05/5  rDev -68.1%

A "gift" from my buddy Trey, which I found out later was intentionally a total joke. Thrown in as an extra to one of our regular beer swaps at the last minute. Watermelon wheat didn't sound too appealing, so I waited until now to try it.

I crack the can and take a whiff. I smell tin. Ok, well, that could just be the can. Let's see what it looks like...Bud Light has a more appealing color than this beer. This is the lightest beer I have ever come across. Not only is it completely uninspiring, it produces no head at all. The only thing that I can think of as I look at this is Maddox's reaction to children's art.

The smell, which I thought was only bad because it was in a can turns out to actually be putrid. It isn't just distorted in the aluminum can. It smells like fake watermelon, shrimp, and old tuna juice.

I wish I could explain the abomination that was this beer's flavor, but I could only get through two sips before I had to get rid of this beer. It starts with a sweet watermelon taste, but as soon as it really hits my tongue, that taste turns and yields a horrific tinny flavor. It makes my stomach lurch. Some people put wolf urine in their yards to ward off deer. I poured this along my property line to achieve the same effect.

I imagine that if the flavor was good, the feel would be OK, but the fact that this beer made my mind go down the "I never want to drink again," path, and I wasn't even hungover makes me unable to give this anything even reasonably good. I think that the remainder of this beer should be donated to attractive young women everywhere in lieu of mace. Holy shit this is awful. Satan himself couldn't spawn something this evil.

NittanyBeerFan, Jul 04, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light straw-colored yellow with thick, white head. Some floaties in the brew; appears to be the watermelon.

Smells residually sweet, with a bit of grain and breadedness from the wheat.

Watermelon flavor is apparent but not overwhelming, and complements the brew rather nicely. The clean graininess of an all-malt lager, with a hop finish offering a bigger bite than expected. No big breaded/wheat elements tho, unfortunately.

Solid hot-weather beer with clean, crisp body.

This is good for what it is. If you don't want watermelon in your beer, then don't drink it. If you're seeking a lighter-bodied fruit beer which doesn't overwhelm with its added element, you will enjoy this unique offering.

Natural510, Jul 02, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

I like a good fruit beer when it's done well. And this one is OK. Nothing earth-shattering, but good. And at the very least, something different and fun to have on a hot summer day.

A: Poured a dark golden, almost amber color. Typical hefeweizen hue. Head retention and lacing were lacking, though it could have been the glassware.

S: Clovey/smokey weizen yeast character and notes of fresh watermelon.

T: Light and good hefeweizen flavor, erring on the phenolic end. No banana. The watermelon isn't overpowering, but it is very forward. I can tell by the taste that the watermelon flavor isn't coming artificially or from extract. Reading the can further my suspicion is confrimed. Considering no extract was used, I was impressed with the amount of watermelon flavor that was actually able to be incorporated into the beer. The hefeweizen character and watermelon flavor, while they do pair nicely, don't really come together to create a complex beer. The fruit and yeast flavors remain separated on the palate.

M: An adequate amount of body for a wheat beer. Makes me think the head retention issue is not the fault of the beer but my glass.

D: Very light and quaffable. I could definitely sit out in the sun and enjoy it.

OrangeCharlie, Jul 02, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from the can

A - Slightly hazy yellow with an inch or so of pretty vigorous head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass. No lacing, carbonation not very visible.

S - All around pretty light in the nose; I pick up some sugary sweetness and some yeasty aroma and that's about it.

T&M - Very sweet and sugary; there is certainly watermelon flavors, but unfortunately it tastes like artificial watermelon to me; it reminds me of a watermelon flavored gum I used to buy as a kid. Carbonation is very light. The mouthfeel is soft and fluffy, but there is something going on here that coats my mouth and is not pleasant.

D - I suppose I see a market for this, but this isn't for me. The watermelon is artificial tasting, and I find the sweetness slightly cloying. I'm not even going to finish what I poured; the wife is going to have to take one for the team.

ZeroSignal, Jun 27, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Pours a light hazy yellow with virtually no head that quickly disappears. No lacing to speak of. Carbonation starts out strong, but quickly turns into just a few bubbles here and there. Overall, not a very good looking beer.

S - The smell immediately reminded me of bud heavy from the can. Upon taking a second sniff, it seems to just be the combination of watermelon and wheat that give it an off smell. The smell isn't making me want to drink this any more than the appearance.

T - Wow! The appearance and smell don't lead on to what the beer will taste like at all for this one. Don't take this to mean it is absolutely amazing, because it isn't, but it is immensely better than the scent puts on. Very light wheat taste with a constant watermelon background. Very subtle, but it's there. I wanted this beer to be more complex than that, but it just isn't. There's no hops, no malt background, just wheat and watermelon.

M - Good mouthfeel. The light body and moderate carbonation give this beer slightly more for the mouth to focus on than the simple taste. A good smooth summer beer.

D - Very drinkable beer, but what do you expect for it's simplicity and average ABV. You could easily go through a sixer of these at a BBQ or on the beach.

It was good, but I don't know that I will be getting it again at the current price tag near me. Good for the novelty of the beer, but nothing else really.

GarrettMD, Jun 27, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz can into pint glass.

The appearance is of a cloudy pale yellow with a thin white head that dissipates very quickly. The aroma is faint, but it actually does have some watermelon notes to it, though there is really not much else going on besides that and some pretty simple base malt notes. The flavor is surprisingly of watermelon and is enjoyable, but besides the nice watermelon flavor and a some slight grassy notes, as in the aroma, there is not very much offered. I would like to see some more malts as this has the potential to be a very unique and enjoyable beer. The mouthfeel is nothing too great either, as it is decently carbonated with a bit of a light body.
And while the watermelon flavor is a pleasant and unique twist, the lack of much body or other flavor notes really takes away from the overall enjoyability of this beer.

vkv822, Jun 25, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured this from a can into a pint glass. Kinda of a hazy light yellow. There was a big fluffy white head but it really didn't last long. Gone by the time I finished typing my first sentence. No real lacing. Lots of tiny bubbles floating to the top. I hope this was a good choice to pair with my pizza. I smell wheat and grains but not much watermelon. I really expected more watermelon. None the less, it doesn't smell bad. This beer is pretty two dimensional. Wheat and watermelon. Bubbalicious gum. I feel like I chewed this in little league. Decent mouth feel, the carbonation is great and the watermelon flavor is novel, glad I picked this up. Easy to kill beer, probably great for a hot day. Glad to pair it with my pizza.

Bendurgin, Jun 25, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz can to pint glass.

A: Head retention is extremely short. a bronze to light copper appearance, with a slightly unfiltered look.

S: Watermelon and wheat, I guess what they were going for.

T: a wheat and watermelon taste are the predominant tastes, with a very low complexity of other flavors.

M: Short of flushes past with low flavor and minimal feel in the mouth. Lingering taste not present.

D: Can +1, but not my style. For those fruit/wheat people you may enjoy. Not heavy on the way down and easy to drink. Although does not scream back for another analysis.

GDBEERMAN, Jun 24, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

This wheat ale pours hazy pale yellow in color and had a pretty decent two finger white head following a medium pour, but has now settled to a thin lace after just a few minutes or so.

I expected more watermelon in the aroma, but it pretty much smells like a mild wheat beer.

Ah, there's the watermelon. It comes through nicely in the taste. Not too much though. Just enough.

Thin mouthfeel with moderate to low carbonation.

I could easily drink a few of these on a hot summer day like today.

Morey's Bottom Line: Nothing I would purchase on a regular basis, but definitely worth trying. Good for your wife or some of your pansy guy friends. It is actyally kind of refreshing after a long days work out in the yard.

Morey, Jun 21, 2010