1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +21%

A- A hazy, yellow beer with some floaters and a thin, splotchy white head.

S- White bread and a sweet, indistinguishable fruitiness. Not as potent of a watermelon punch as I was expecting.

T- Sweet watermelon and bread with caramel. A tad tart at the end.

M- A carbonation bite, but the sweetness keeps it refreshing.

D- A great warm weather beer. This has been on my "to try" list for awhile, and it doesn't disappoint.

2.35/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a light, cloudy, golden yellow(looks like pineapple juice). Small white head fades quickly, no lacing.

Smells of biscuits and watermelon.

Taste like someone put a watermelon jolly rancher in a glass of lite beer.

Feels like soda water in the mouth.

The drinkability is zero for me. I haven't poured a beer in awhile but this one is going down the drain.

2.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Macado's Halloween 2009 shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy goldenrod color with a small, foamy white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of watermelon (obviously). The smell of watermelon masks much of whatever else might be there. There are some yeasty/wheaty hints but they are barely noticeable through the watermelon.

Taste: Kind of light on flavor. Starts off tasting like watermelon sparkling water. Finishes with hints of yeast and wheat (like your typical wheat beer) but that is effectively masked by a sickly sweet watermelon aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Watery and a little flat. Could do with more carbonation.

Drinkability: Meh...This is a pretty bland beer. It's light on flavor and what flavor there is is almost exclusively an artificial watermelon taste. On the plus side, it is exceedingly drinkable and pretty refreshing. Take it or leave it...

2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

pours a clear and clean sunshine yellow color with a white somewhat clinging ring.this looked like a mt.dew with some lace to me.. the smell is grain and slight malt and yeast with an unripe watermelon smell..the taste is exactly like the smell its really just average i dont like the unripe watermelon after tatse( although not overpowering to the taste)..and thats what you are left with sip or gulp..this is not a wheat i will buy there are so many others year round and seasonal and i do enjoy wheat beers..this one is below average..not recommended

3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured into pint glass.

Nice head, but disapated fairly quick. Beer is a transparent golden color. Similar to that of your typical BMC.

Nose is a grainy/barley smell with hints of watermelon thoughout.

Tastes like ripe watermelon. Not really like the red part of the watermelon, but the pinkish white part closer to the crust. I've seen a few other reviews compare it to BMC with hints of watermelon, and I see what they're talking about.

Not a bad brew at all. I'd pick it up again and with the somewhat low ABV this would make a good summer session beer.

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from 12oz can into Corsendonk tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy honey color with a large white head that dissipates quickly and only leaves hints of lace.

Smell: Smells like a watermelon jolly rancher, with hints of malt and yeast.

Taste: Tastes like a typical bitter wheat beer, with watermelon in the background throughout.

Mouthfeel: Watery and smooth, with balanced carbonation. Very refreshing.

Drinkability: A unique twist on wheat beer. Certainly not the best out there, but worth a look.

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

On draft at home base into a pils glass.

A- pours a hazy golden color. Light white head formation. No bubbling, appears lightly carbonated.

S- I guess I should have had this ahead of the ipa. The smell is very light, with just a hint of watermelon.

T- starts off lightly sweet, with just a hair of watermelon. Gets more bitter and dry mid stream. Finishes with the husky shell of a watermelon, very earthy.

M- Good body to the beer, creamy and thick. Carbonation is present, but not overbearing. Finishes with a sweet film.

D- very drinkable. Abv is manageable. Not filling. Flavors are just a bit off for long sessioning.

Maybe this just isn't my style, as I won't miss having this again.

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice surprise in my local store today.

Pours a nice almost clear pale yellow color with nice center of rising bubbles to white two finger head that falls rather quick. No lace to speak of.

Aroma is light wheaty malts with what i assume is watermelon along with some nice light hops lightly grassy variety, along with a touch of yeast notes perhaps.

Taste is well its go the crappy american wheat flavor down to a tee but the watermelon touch is nice not over powering seems just right. Some light hops in the finish grassy earthy notes mingle with little twang from the melon. Over all for a style that is usually just crap this one isn't that bad at all.

Mouthfeel is light with normal carbonation levels.

Drinkability is ok not something i would really repeat buy but fruit beers are not my thing but sure wouldn't turn one down on a hot day by the lake or pool.

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured into a Perfect Pint glass. Formed a thin, fizzy, white head. Lightning fast dissipation of the bubbles left no signs of lacing in it's wake. The body is a crystal clear pale yellow...I was expecting it to be hazy...

Odd nose...but some truth in advertising. You can detect a malted yeast smell, fermented grains and notes of watermelon...maybe a little on the candy-like side.

The flavors are even more odd than the nose. The start is light and wheat-ish that turns into a strange, almost sour taste...imagine water soaked alfalfa. I cannot detect any of the watermelon I was able to smell...maybe it was imagined!

Light mouth feel with moderate carbonation.

I guess this is drinkable, but not my cup o' tea. Worth a try, but I will not be buying this again.

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

You guys are tripping... My girlfriend talked me into buying this beer. I went into it with very low expectations...but I was very impressed. I find it to be very tasty for a light beer. I can see myself drinking many off these at a tailgate party or something like that. For not being my style in beer, this was pretty good.

1.5/5  rDev -54.4%

Pour Can into Pint Glass

A: Hazy and orange in color, big 2 finger soapy head that dissipates to a nice ring of foam. Little lacing but not much. Looks like a nice wheat.

S: Watermelon rind... Green watermelon rind. It is had to get past it.... the next thing I'm getting it is some sweet malt and a little wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent

T: Wow the watermelon rind is here as well.... and strong. There is also a mild sweetness and a slight hint of citrus.

M: Mid to light bodied with good carbonation. A little more filling than most wheat beers I've had.

D: The taste killed it for more so not very drinkable for me....

Maybe I'm missing something but what I was getting was not enjoyable to me...

I will not let this hold me back from trying another 21st Amendment Brew.

2.98/5  rDev -9.4%

poured into duvel tulip

A: pour sort of scared me, i though i saw green beer, but in glass it looks like a typical wheat ale, half finger white layer of foam. cloudy golden color.
S: a more watermelon rind like aroma, that green rind vegetable smell, also slight sweet malt and yeast. and of coarse wheat.
T: one of the few times im actually kind of scared to take a sip. ok, not that bad beer wise, good wheat and yeast character, slight banana and clove, as well as sweet malt. The but is the watermelon, its defiantly not what i was expecting, tastes a bit too much of the green rind with a candy fake watermelon hiding deep in the back row.
M: overall smooth mild carbonation, slightly coating.
D: i may be slightly off put by flavor of the watermelon, but it is oddly easy to put down.

2.93/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A - I chose to drink this one from the can since that's a large part of their marketing for their beers. However, I haven't seen anything stating whether or not their intent is for you to pour it into a glass or not. The cans state that they keep a beer fresher, and then talks about recycling, etc... I would assume that the intent to to pour into a proper glass, and let the beer warm up to the proper temperature, though this takes much longer with a can coming out of a fridge. So, I said fuck it, and drank it right out of the can.

S - It smelled very fruity/watermellony(its a word), but almost candy like...very bubbalicious watermelon gum. There was also a "skunky" smell coming off of it that reminded me of imported german lagers or "turned" green bottle lagers.

T - I was surprised by the subtlty of the watermelon flavor, and the utter lack of wheat characteristics. This basically tastes like a macro-lager with a subtle watermelon undertone. I will try it again in a glass and warm it up to see if it opens up a bit. All-in-all, its not a bad beer, its simply unremarkable.

D - It was actually very drinkable... if you're looking for an easy drinking, refreshing macro-lager type beer to down 10 or 15 of at a party, but you still want to feel superior to people slamming natty light, this would work well.

Serving type: 12oz Can, no glass, 40 deg

3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

Can label reads agitate before opening, what's wrong with waiting to agitate while the beer is in the last couple inches of the bottom. I just had the draft Live Free or Die IPA at Mad Mex so instead of the canned IPA I opted for a six of this and a four pack of the Monk's Blood since I've never seen or heard of that one. This one pours a clouded lemonade esque golden sunshine hue with bright white head forming and dissipating quickly. Minimal speckled lacing is left on the sides of my glass. Aromatics offer up a tame laid back sweetness from the sharp citrus wheat back bone. Fruity watermelon layers with pretty much absent hop additions. I like the low alcohol fruit vibe kick every now and again. A chalky yeast and minimal floral note wrapped within the watermelon puree, this stuff smells inviting and not candy sweet which is definitely a good thing. Flavor is light with juicy edges almost like bubblegum edges to it, but the watermelon puree acts as a refresher in this mix. Some hard mineral water action with a yeast wheat infused malt backbone, really straight forward flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky but not syrupy in anyway smooth ample carbonation levels, it's nice to see this available in the Burgh at Giant Eagle Marketplace. Drinkability was easy going a refreshing summer time beer that I'm sure will go over with the ladies out there. For me it was worth the experience but this isn't something that is going to replace the session IPA or pale ale anytime soon.

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: hazy light golden color with very little head. Not bad, but not very exciting.

Smell: a little sweet and just a tiny hint of watermelon. There's also a little sourness, but really, the aroma is too low-volume to appreciate much.

Taste: much more watermeloney than the aroma. There is a touch of citrusy wheat flavor in the malt and the watermelon is thankfully nice and understated. It's not my favorite beer in the world, but it is pretty interesting.

Mouthfeel: medium, medium-light body with an OK level of carbonation. It's alright.

Drinkability: pretty refreshing and moderately drinkable. It's not fantastic, but would do in a pinch on a hot day.

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

A-couldy straw colored beer almost resembling, sorry to say it, urine. Thin bubbly head that disspates quickly and leaves no lace behind

S-the nose is boozy like rum soaked strawberry with hints of clove and banana. The yeast is present and mixed into the straberry booze.

T/M-taste follows the nose, alcohol soaked strawberries that blend into some notes of clove and banana. smooth and creamy, light body, crisp finish, highly carbonated throughout.

D-easy drinking and somewhat sweet, suprisingly it shows alcohol with such a low alc beer.

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not going to do a full review on this right now, but I think this is pretty decent; not very complex in the initial taste, but the watermelon is very well done. Since I'm in the middle of a snowstorm in February, I think it will be better if I re-review this beer in the warmer months, and when i'm not in the midst of a beer tasting marathon!

But if you like fruited beers, you'll enjoy this - just don't expect tremendous complexity.

...
After a summer of drinking this periodically, my review:

Appearance -- Pours a clear pale gold, with a minimal white head. Surprised that it doesn't have more umph in the carbonation since it is canned, but I'm not exactly sure why I expected that.

Smell - Toasty malt, wheat, very slight sweet watermelon, and a bit of hops. It really doesn't smell much like I was expecting - more like malt than fruit or fresh wheat, but still like good beer!

Taste - This tastes like a wheat beer, but the aftertaste is a bit like that weird taste cereal leaves in your mouth. I'm not sure what the correct descriptor is for that. The malt seems more prominent than in most good wheat beers, but it's still well balanced, and it has a nice tinge of jolly rancher watermelon. What is lacking is complexity - probably needs more fruit and some other flavors/spices added to round it out. In other words, I love the idea of this beer, so I'm hoping they experiment with the formula a little bit more for next summer.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light body with low carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm still a fan of this for hot outdoor events during the summer - it sure beats a miller light! Heavy enough to feel like you're actually drinking something, but light enough that you could have a few because it's easy on the palate. A great summer beer.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a murky tannish copper color. Small white had which dissipates with spotty lacing. The smell is odd, there is some watermelon but also a heavy, earthy wheat smell that mostly covers it up. The taste is more watermelon, not too bad really but a bit on the watery side. Plenty of wheat flavor here as well. Body is on the thin and watery side. Overall this is not the best fruit beer I've had, the flavors behind the watermelon don't really back it that well, making for a beer where the fruit aspect is good but the rest is not really.

2.83/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good marketing for this brewery and beer. Let's see how it holds up for experience.
The watermelon has a sweet fruity quality that isn't quite what I'd expect for watermelon. Also contains a bit of a vegetable quality too. Kinda' summer vegatable garden. Not that enticing.
Head left very quickly and quite loudly. Mostly clear golden and lots of bubbles rising in Sam Adams glass.
Taste is like aroma in that it's more generic vegatable than sweet watermelon. More the greens than the sweet fruit or meat. Mildly dry with a touch of hop bitterness. Certainly holds Am. wheat style qualities.
Feel is right for style with ample carbonation.
Not what I expected and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't seek this out on it's own. Now I'm gonna' try this with lunch (a "big salad") and it might do quite well with that, otherwise I'd generally pass.

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

Now I've been wanting to try me so 21st amendment for a quick minute now, and was pumped when I came across it at Julio's.

Appearance was was a slightly hazy pale yellow. Yellow and fizzy, so far no good.

Smell was very bland. not much there. fruity and crisp hops.

Taste had very little watermallon. I was expecting more melon for sure. Pale malts, and mild hops.

crisp light mouthfeel

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

Got this for 1.99 at a Beer Nutz store in Fox Chapel

A - Drank it from the can but could assume it's a pale yellow color.
S - Man it smells great! Almost like Jolly Ranchers! I hope it at least tastes good.
T - Meh. That's really it. The great smell is replaced by a sub par lager taste with little or no watermelon to speak of.
M - I rarely throw out a brew but I couldn't get more than 75 percent down without gagging.
D - wouldn't want to try anymore of their beers! I think they just take MGD and ferment it with an artificial fruit flavor and mark up the cost.

My rating is fair but please avoid if you can!

1.48/5  rDev -55%

Bought a single can to give it a try. I want to like 21st Amendment...

A - Very pale cloudy yellow. No head, little lacing.

S - Smells like slightly rotting organic matter. Maybe the insides of a pumpkin. Maybe the watermelon rinds after two weeks in the hot sun. It certainly has a strong smell, but it's the least appealing smell I've ever found in a beer. Near gag reflex. I can't stress this enough. This smells awful. I never drain pour a beer. I'm close on this one, and I've never tasted it!

T & M - See above. Imagine that ambiguous rotting organic matter is now soaked in Miller Lite, and then rung out into a can. For good measure, I imagine this can was probably left in the sun another couple of hours. The only positive is my breath is now watermelony fresh. That's the first I really noticed the watermelon, and I hope it never finds its way into a beer again.

D - You'll have to ask my drain on this one. I have no intentions of finishing this.

This is the worst beer I've had in a VERY long time...

1.78/5  rDev -45.9%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why.

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

The best part of this beer is the aroma, it's a pale yellow in color although I did only pour out a small amount for color review and drank it from the can as intended with this brew. I found the taste bland and for a beer hyped on watermelon with watermelon juice added the sweetness is non-existent. The finish is boring not leaving you with much of anything and not overly desire more.

3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

A= Pours a fizzy translucent yellow color with a small half finger head that falls fast and leaves no lacing on the glass. Really unimpressive for a wheat beer. The beer looks sort of sad as I stare at it with the bubbles coming up top to contribute to the absence of a head making their lives meaningless.

S= quite pungent I could smell it from a couple feet away after I poured it which is nice. Smells like a typical macro lager with candy flavored watermelon in it.... there's a touch of wheat in the smell just enough to make it smell like a wheat with watermelon. To be honest I've never smelled a watermelon like this tough. I've smelled lots of candy like this but no watermelon and I love watermelon.

T= Very similar to the smell. The taste is similar to a macro lager only with a nice wheat and watermelon touch. The wheat is just enough to make the middle of the sip crisp and refreshing and the finish a little citrusy. The watermelon is like candy of course only I don't notice it upon the initial sips only after I swallow do I notice the residual candy taste.

M= Low carbonation crisp and refreshing. Not bad at all. Actually sort of on point and fitting. I would say for a regular wheat it should be more carbonated and spritzy but this is fine.

D= Not a bad beer by any means and I will buy it again some summer day I'm sure but it's a little dissapointing for a wheat beer and the taste is very candyish. Not bad though.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery