Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

This beer pours a cloudy pale orange color with ha hint of green. The head is an inch in height, and vanishes within seconds. The aroma is of watermelon. There is also a tart aspect to the aroma that isn't pleasing to me. I am sure this beer smells how it is intended to, but it simply smells bad. The taste is of very mild watermelon, and not much else. Really this taste is of virtually nothing. It isn't bad; it just isn't. The mouthfeel is watery with low carbonation (bad for a wheat beer). Overall, this is a fairly bad beer. I will not drink it again.

KarlHungus, Oct 13, 2010

- can poured into a 20 ounce glass
A - very cloudy hazy yellow with no head.
S - watermellon and wheat with a strange unpleasantness.
T - big wheat upfront followed by a mild watermellon aftertaste.
M - carbonated syrup.
D - not very drinkable for me.
I like fruit beers but not this one.

Beer4Baltimore, May 27, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: hazy golden straw color with a thin white head lasting only seconds. No rising co2 bubbles.

Aroma: mainly a wheat aroma followed by a yeast aroma. This yeast aroma is not of cloves or banana esters just a "muddy" yeast nose. No watermellon aroma either.

flavor: strong wheat with no other malt coming through. Also nohops at all nor any of this watermellon I hear about.

Mouthfeel: This beer is lightly carbonated, and fairly thin. As for balance it just tastes like an average wheat.

Drinkability: Don't get me wrong this is not a bad beer. There is nothing about it that I fully dislike about it. My issues with this beer is that there is no watermellon aroma or flavor (which is the reason my old lady convinced me to put down that ipa to buy this instead). I enjoyed the wheat & is an ok american wheat with nothing really standing out to set this beer apart from the others. While it's not a bad beer it is not worth the price I paid for this 6 pack. I would rather spend my money on another choice in the same style of beers. Note: if you see a single bottle pick it up & give it a try.

simmons, Jun 16, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

Smells kind of funky. Pours a clear straw yellow color with good carbonation. Not really sure about the watermelon flavor. Not really a hoppy beer. Tastes sort of like a rita's water ice soaked in beer. Bought a single can with expectations that it would be much better.

jwhancher, May 02, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

I was excited about getting this beer in a can. Had it few times at the brewery and look forward to it every summer. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed about this. The watermelon taste seems to be very artificial, to the extend that I thought they added watermelon syrup to get the flavor. Otherwise, still a decent wheat beer to drink in the summer.

tiga2000, Jul 28, 2008
2.69/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear (by wheat beer standards) straw color. There are two fingers of white-colored head. Unfortunately, the texture is akin to soda...and so is the retention. Almost no lacing is left behind.

S: Watermelon notes are very timid in this one. The base beer, on the other hand, seems to be very buttery and sweet - I hate to say it smells redolent of a macro lager, but it freakin' does. Okay, now I'm getting some watermelon after this opens up. Just a bit.

T: There's more of a watermelon presence on the palate, being sandwiched by a malty sweet start and a faintly buttery finish. Not as macro lagery as the nose indicated. A rather mediocre beer, but at least it's not a syrupy, watermelon-induced nightmare.

M: Rather light and sweet on the palate. Not disgustingly sweet, thankfully. The carbonation seems powerful, but it's obscured by the sweetness somewhat.

O: Someone was bound to make a watermelon beer eventually, and I'm glad 21st Amendment did. This kind of beer isn't my thing - while it's refreshing, I can think of more enjoyable beers that do the same basic thing. Try it if you really like watermelon, otherwise get something else.

ThisWangsChung, May 08, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Once in a while you are presented with something you are sure will be atrocious and turns out to be well... just different.

I could review this according to the traditional run through of Serving to Drinkability.

But instead I will say it is predominantly a light wheat beer with all of those characteristics. The watermelon comes in at the end of the sip and is not particularly overbearing. It is in fact a highly palatable beer. It is reminiscent of the watermelon Jolly Rancher or lollipop.

There is less aftertaste than you would expect and the beer has a decent body to it.

having said all this I would not drink a full can of it; it is so far from my taste in beer I can't imagine wasting the blood alcohol and calories on it.

However if you think you may like a wheat beer with a zing of slightly sour, slightly sweet watermelon. In my opinion the watermelon has ruined a good wheat beer in lieu of complimenting it. Thus the reduced taste rating. However this is largely about my aversion to this style versus a flaw in the brewing.

Minotaur, Jan 04, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

I saw the can and had to give it a go. I was interested to see what a watermelon beer would taste like, though skeptical.
A- It's straw yellow. Hazy. It has a big foamy head, white, and a good deal of head and lace. Some streams of bubbles.
S- Sweet wheat scent with a hint of watermelon.
T- The taste is reversed from the smell. The watermelon is bold and the wheat is mild. It's like a jolly rancher was put into a wheat beer. Refreshing, but this taste is too candy-ish. I was only good with having two then had to move on.

Amalak, Jul 27, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Yellow-orange in color, creamy and hazy. About an inch of fluffy head forms at the top but quickly dies down to nearly nothing. Doesn’t look overly carbonated. Looks like a typical hef.

Smell: Very sweet and floral, I’m thinking honeysuckle, with some malty grains backing it up.

Taste: More of that floral sweet honeysuckle at first, then comes the watermelon and citrus notes, and finally the malts and bitter hops finish. The watermelon tastes a little artificial and overall the brew is more sour and acidic than I was expecting. I’m not getting much of the cloves/banana etc that I expect from wheat beers, but there is some banana there.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, refreshing going down and easy on the finish. A little bit syrupy consistency.

Overall: Had one of these leftover from summer, and it’s a nice hot day today so figured I’d kill the six-pack. This is probably the only one I poured into a glass to review properly, the rest I drank straight from the can. And I think that’s how these should be enjoyed -- floating down a river or by the beach in a tube with just the can. It’s not a bad summer brew but I think the artificial flavor would turn some people off. My woman didn’t like it and she’s a fan of fruit beers. One of these is great, after two or three I’d probably get tired of the sweet and sourness.

JKuras, Oct 06, 2012
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a can into my hefeweizen glass. poured a standard cloudy orange/yellow color. can dictates that there is yeast in the can, and i should "agitate" it before pouring. i poured two thirds and felt very weird swirling the rest in a can. whatevs. two finger white head, essentially no head retention, no lacing.

not getting watermelon in the smell, maybe a wheat cereal type smell, maybe a bit of citrus. not much else. tastes akin to a watery wheat beer with the tasteless white part of the watermelon mixed in. there is a slight bit of acidity to be found, but not enough to make things interesting. fairly light bodied for a wheat beer. not my favorite, i'm glad i only bought a single can.

sirdillon, Jul 13, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

12 ounce can purchased at Brews Bros in Mt Lebanon, PA.

Smell: Maybe a tine of watermelon. Some lemon

Taste: Fake watermelon. No doubt. Definitely not real watermelon. Not sure if there is any other flavors in there. Maybe this is Miller Lite with some fake watermelon flavoring?

Mouthfeel: Nice body, goes down smooth. Could drink these on a hot summer day if there was nothing else around.

Overall: I'm still searching for a quality fruit beer. Not sure if I'll ever find a real good one. But for some reason, I keep trying. Somebody please stop me.

righthereisay, Jun 24, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Hazy gold color with a white two finger head with poor retention. The aroma has watermelon, bread, and a little sweet malt.

Tastes like bread, grain, watermelon, and a little bit of sweet malt. Not overly sweet, and the watermelon flavor is light, but it is present. Decent carbonation, light to medium bodied, not much aftertaste. I am glad I had a chance to try this. Not sure I will pick this one up again.

hardy008, Aug 11, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a cloudy, pale yellow with a finger width head, soda fizz poor retention, leaving no lace but a small ring of bubbles around the edges of the glass. Literally like pouring a soda.

Smell - Aromas are faint. Sweet, dirty. More honeydew on the nose than watermelon.

Taste - Like they took a macro light beer and threw in some watermelon extract. Mild wheat pokes out. Watermelon is most prevalent... and then there's the rest of the beer, which reeks of cheap adjuncts. That's not to say it's what's in the beer, but it's certainly the impression it makes.

Mouthfeel - Watery and under-carbonated. There's a slight bite, but it's comparable to a 3 week pup.

Overall - ... And yet, this beer is somehow better than the sum of it's parts. I'll never buy it again, but I'd probably drink it if offered. This is now my 2nd 21st Amendment beer, and both have been big disappointments. Dare I try a third?

TheSixthRing, May 04, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

Now I've been wanting to try me so 21st amendment for a quick minute now, and was pumped when I came across it at Julio's.

Appearance was was a slightly hazy pale yellow. Yellow and fizzy, so far no good.

Smell was very bland. not much there. fruity and crisp hops.

Taste had very little watermallon. I was expecting more melon for sure. Pale malts, and mild hops.

crisp light mouthfeel

cleeze, Feb 05, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a cloudy golden. Head is half a finger foamy white.
S- Light watermelon character on the nose, with a pale grain presence.
T- The first thought in my mind was Watermelon Bubblicious but far less sweet. A watery watermelon character, with a grainy base.
M- Light and thin, verges on watery.
O- Interesting idea but I didn't particularly care for its executing. Probably wouldn't seek out or try again.

jsprain1, Oct 16, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

A- This American Wheat has a hazy yellowish appearance with a low- fast dissipating- white head.

S- Faint watermelon, cheap wheat, and yeast fill the air and a underlying funk that is off putting.

T- A very strange and upfront concentrated fruit flavor that taste more like rotten apples than watermelon. It has absolutely no finish- the flavor drops off into a watery tasteless waste of a beer.

M- Low Carbonation and light body gives this brew a easy drinkin award.

Final Thoughts- This American Wheat is not worth buying twice- it's akward flavor is hard to drink let alone 5 more. Keep trying 21 Amendment- it could potentially be a good beer.

Friskybeerrapist, Jan 29, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Very aromatic smell of watermelon and pungent "beer" smell.
Tasted good with normal wheat beer taste up front followed by the watermelon flavor. Leaves not so good aftertaste in your mouth. Below average fruit beer. Seems too artificial.

rmartin11, Jul 30, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

The color when poured into a glass was a hazy light yellow with hardly any foam and not lace at all on the side of the glass. The smell of yeasty citrus was evident in the aroma. The taste had of a bitter yeasty watermelon, that was not a pleasant feel on the palate. This is not what I would expected from the beer company. Not one of their better brew's.

BeerManDan, Nov 16, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Hazy yellow/amber color. White head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Watermelon, obviously. Get some bready yeast in there. It's not bad, pretty interesting - just doesn't really smell like beer.

T: You do taste watermelon, but it's not obnoxious or sweet. The taste is watery though, and there isn't a whole lot of depth to this beer. Some wheat in there.

M: Very light. Finish is watery

D: At first, i'd say despite the lacklusterness of this beer that it was actually pretty drinkable. But about 10 min after i finished, i didn't really feel that great and the thought of another wasn't very appealing.

cpone, Jul 16, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Review dated 2/15/2009.

On tap at the brewpub. Hazy yellow color with a small white head and a watermelon slice on the glass. Aroma is lots of watermelon. Flavor is wheaty with - you guessed it - watermelon. Pretty sour and almost cidery on the finish. Light on the palate, refreshing but a little off-balance in my opinion.

nickd717, Aug 25, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -21.6%

12 ounce can, cold, poured into a pint glass.

Pours a light pale yellow with barely an eighth of an inch of a foamy white head.

The smell has some strong hints of wheat but a very small presence of watermelon

It tastes almost how it smells, the wheat is the first to come out with a watermelon aftertaste

After drinking it I feel that despite it being hailed as a watermelon wheat beer the traces of watermelon are all but forgotten. The beer is light and makes for a good drink on a hot day but other than that not impressed.

shiptoshore, Jul 26, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -21.6%

Hazy golden color. Quite lively when poured. OK aroma-somewhat yeasty and wheat like. Moderate level of fruitiness. Rather chemical and industrial flavor. While it might be described as "watermelon" I find it to be more like tasting the rind or pith from one. Not overly unpleasant but just does not work. OK body for the style-crisp finish. A bit of a dissapointment. I would tend to think a watermelon beer would be hard to pull off-they didnt get there with this one for sure.

lackenhauser, Apr 29, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -21.6%

A clear golden color with a small off white head. Not a ton of retention or lacing.

Smells sweet, watermelon is pretty noticeable.

There is a little bit of a wheat backbone, but the dominating characteristic is a sweet, artificial tasting watermelon flavor. It's not terrible like a lot of fruit beers are, but I'm not crazy about it either.

Light to medium bodied with fairly low carbonation.

Too sweet for me overall.

Hojaminbag, May 13, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -21.6%

A: tan/orange, light white head, little lacing

S: grassy, green veg, light malt.

T: big grassy/green veg taste, mild watermelon
hint of malt

M: light/med body, crisp mouth

O: Didn't know what to expect from this
brew; love the brewery but not a fan
of this beer.

NO THANKS, PASS ON THIS ONE!

BeerLover99, Jun 14, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -22.5%

A cellar temperature can is poured into a pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy and has the color of tarnished gold. A few fingers worth of off-white foam rises out of the liquid, but it doesn't stay for long. Already the bubbles that make it up are popping. Eventually, all that is left is a skim of foam. No lacing is left behind. Lots of carbonation bubbles are rising within the glass.

The beer has a sweet wheat aroma. I can smell watermelon, but I'm not sure I would have been able to identify the scent if I didn't know this beer had the fruit in it.

This is a sweet, fruity beer. Some aspects of its wheat base are apparent, especially as I swallow. Mostly I taste sweet watermelon flavors, like a piece of candy. There may be a hint of bitterness as soon as I taste the beer, but if it is there, it is gone quickly.

For a summer beer, this one sits heavy in my mouth. A lot of foamy carbonation is present, and the coating is thick and sticky.

Overall, this isn't a beer I'd go back to. I prefer a lighter wheat beer for a summer seasonal, and I'm not a fan of watermelon the fruit, so watermelon the beer probably isn't for me either. Still, its an interesting and commendable experiment.

ToasterChef, Jul 06, 2011