1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

bbrown12, Jan 04, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -24%

Pours a slightly hazy bright golden yellow with maple undertones. For some reason I expected a bright red brew....

The smell is fairly faint, what I pick up most is melon rind. This beer smells like something that you rarely get whiffs of, real watermelon. This smells like natural watermelon, not that fake jolly rancher type watermelon flavor we've been trained to associate with this big green melon. All that said, coupled with the wheaty alcohol notes the watermelon comes off strange.

The taste mirrors the smell very well. The base beer is pretty flavorless as far as I can tell. The watermelon is the star here, but that's about it. This beer is simply watermelon beer, subdued bitter flavors of chewing melon rind. You can make this at home by drinking any wheat beer from a watermelon.

Mouthfeel is light, airy and watery. Carbonation is on the low end and the finish is somewhat dry.

Overall, I am not a big fan here. Muted flavors make this beer come off a bit gimmicky. I'm sure there are tons of people that like this beer just fine, but I think that one is going to be plenty enough for me.

BDLbrewster, Dec 16, 2009

paulgarrison, Aug 17, 2013

magnusdave, Jul 29, 2013

Ragnarok88, Jul 15, 2013
2.49/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from the can into a wheat ale glass.

A real nice decent looker on the pour. Big perfectly pinhead forming head, bleach white, four fingers tall with soapy retention and falling slowly. Body color is a very pale yellow and orb glowing with a classic opaque unfiltered appearance. Nice simple rising carbonation, very solid looking brew.

Faint wet watermellon on the nose, but some off smelling character to match. Not much wheat malt sense or chewyness. Off smelling character is semi vegetative but more of a bitter bile sense which isn't very pleasant.

Palate is very thin. Watery body, with hardly any wheat malt density. Crazy and weird odd finish, with some malt sweetness but a real off pleasant rind fruit bitterness to match. Wet body has some watermellon taste and sweetness, but is quickly overshadowed by a lackluster mouthfeel. The aftertaste leave and unbelievably bitter melon quality which just doesn't go away.

Overall not really diggin this, just all around a not pleasant experience.

smakawhat, Jul 27, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a can into a snifter. Gentle pour led to about 2 fingers of a thin white head that quickly disappeared. Smells like canned corn. Tasted like canned corn with a slight jolly rancher watermelon finish. The longer it sat the more it smelled and tasted like watermelon but I ended up drain pouring half of this mess.
This beer was gross.

IdrinkGas, Jul 24, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -24.6%

We just had 21st amendment brewery become available here in Georgia; I really liked their IPA and figured I would give this one a try it being summer. Pours a watery yellow with very little yeast though the can was agitated per instructions. White head disappears almost immediately. Smell is rather sour and has hints of not so fresh vegetable matter. Taste is pretty much the same. I hope this is a bad batch because this, to me, is undrinkable.

Godot, Jul 17, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -25.5%

Interesting beer. I can't say I'd ever think of combining watermelon with beer (nor do I really enjoy fruity beers), but I was looking forward to trying this one when some friends brought it over. It had a decent aroma.. definitely wheat with juicy watermelon undertones. The taste was like a hefe that had a dissolved watermelon jolly rancher in it! Kind of odd, but drinkable none-the-less. I can't say I'd look forward to having this beer again, but I woudn't turn it down if it were offered to me either.

alysmith4, Dec 28, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a clean yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, faint wheat note and a small fruitiness. In the taste, well, it tastes like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. A small dry, smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry watermelon Jolly Rancher aftertaste. It kind of reminds me of a average wheat beer and dropping a couple watermelon Jolly Ranchers in there, and then drinking it.

OWSLEY069, Aug 27, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -26.4%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me.

OrangeAmps, May 05, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The appearance isn't bad - pale cloudy straw color, 2 fingers of lacing which dies pretty quickly; But I am getting about as much taste as a Miller Lite, maybe with a slight watermelon fruit essence and slight melon odor. Highly carbonated. Was worth one try to satisfy my curiosity, but will never get again.

WaterCzar, Sep 01, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -27.1%

A watermelon beer? This would be a new style for me. The can says watermelon juice is added. Hmm.

A - Poured a light golden color. Looks like a typical wheat beer to me with a little foam on the head.

S - Definitely fruity with some wheat.

T - This just does not do it for me. The watermelon is overdone and leaves this not really tasting like beer. Perhaps part of the problem was drinking this beer on a cold winter night when it might hit the spot on a summer picnic. Maybe I would try it again in those circumstances.

M/D - A little sticky and light carbonation on the tongue. Sweet. I wouldn't really want more than one of these despite the low ABV.

lukekruse1, Dec 31, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -27.7%

Cloudy pale yellow with a clean and foamy white head. The head disappears quickly and leaves no lacing.

Wheaty with a semi-rotten vegetable smell. Like a bowl of overripe garden veggies that have been sitting together for a week. Kind of scared to try it.

Not real good. Getting the watermelon which comes in the form of a watermelon jolly rancher. The wheat is there too and the combination is very vegetable like again. It really tastes like a cheaply made wheat beer with a watermelon jolly rancher dropped in it. This blend is not working.

Kind of flat and underwhelming.

I'm probably going to have to drain pour the rest of this. Kudos to these guys for trying something unique, but it just simply doesn't come out very well. It's worth trying to see what it's like, but do what I did, only buy a single.

jera1350, Sep 05, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -27.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. It poured a pale golden color with a thin head that disappeared pretty quickly.

The watermelon is immediately noticeable in it along with some citrus and wheat malts. I also unfortunately get an unpleasant metallic flavor to it.

The taste also shows a lot of the watermelon flavor along with some rind and vegetable like qualities. A little wheat and citrus are there but the watermelon is overwhelming and just not that good.

The mouthfeel is thin with moderate carbonation. Overall, I just didn't care for it. The watermelon was too dominating and just not that great. It seemed to have more of a bitter rind, vegetable like quality to it that I didn't care for. A little metallic as well. Not something I'd want to try again.

billab914, Apr 20, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a light, cloudy, golden yellow(looks like pineapple juice). Small white head fades quickly, no lacing.

Smells of biscuits and watermelon.

Taste like someone put a watermelon jolly rancher in a glass of lite beer.

Feels like soda water in the mouth.

The drinkability is zero for me. I haven't poured a beer in awhile but this one is going down the drain.

sitarist, Mar 10, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -28.6%

This is the first Watermelon beer I've ever had. The color was hazy and yellow the aroma was sweet and had the natural aroma of the watermelon. The flavor was a little of te light side. It wasn't that bad but I think that if a watermelon wedge was added to this while drinking that it would amp this brew up and make it a lot better.

Knapp85, Mar 27, 2011