Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -17%

12oz can poured into a tumbler.

Pours a fairly clear but super light ywllow color with lots of nice thin bubble trails leading to a small but creamy white head. Nose leaves a bit to be desired, it's yeasty and bready but no watermelon.

Taste is basically a wheat beer with not much watermelon flavor at all. It's basically your standard wheat beer. Mouthfeel is full rich and creamy - quite good. There is some weird off taste that's not great but overall it's a step above a macro, quite easy drinking.

poured from 12oz can into pint glass

A-Pours a pale straw yellow with head that rises and falls quickly

S-smells fruity not necessarily watermelon though

T-Watermelon is there, don't know if I would know that it was a wheat beer if it didn't say so on the can.

M-good carbonation, maybe a little watery

O-MIght make a good beer to have occasionally on a hot day, but I can't get them around here so it will be very occasionally for me.

2.73/5  rDev -17%

Pours a hazy golden-orange color, with a minimal amount of fluffy white foam. Not much going on in the nose here, with the exception of the watermelon. Not so much fruit, but more like a watermelon jolly rancher. A little sweetness on the palate, some light wheat, but again mostly the somewhat cloying fake watermelon taste. Nothing special here, just a decent light beer with fake fruit flavor.

2.73/5  rDev -17%

01/29/09- Purchased at Ledger's in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 12oz can, with what might be a possible canning code on the side of the can. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Yeasty and lightly clouded medium golden colored pour. Brilliant white creamy 3/4 inch head and slight lace trails left behind.

Smell- Don't really smell watermelon, just some random light candied sugar scent. A bit of grain as well.

Taste- OK, I taste the watermelon, but it's not like fresh or real watermelon. Kinda like a jolly rancher flavor except not that sugary. Maybe like a flavored seltzer water taste? Quite a heavy yeast strain and mild grain flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, kinda chalky.

Drinkability- Had to finally try it because of the novelty factor. Anyway, no need to try it again. Many better tasting beers of this type out there...maybe not watermelon, but fruit overall.

2.73/5  rDev -17%

On Tap at Old Eagle Tavern in a pint glass. I've been avoiding this beer for quite some time.

Hell or High looks pretty in the glass with a light bronze color with some gold trimmings. All together the beer is very still and dead looking with the head dying by the time it got to me, no lace on this one. Looks more like a pale ale than a fruit beer.

The smell is very grainy with some some wheat in the background. Only getting trace sniffs of watermelon with a whole lot of grass. This one is earthy in every sense of the word and not on the sweet smelling side.

And by god, this stuff is very putrid. It' s not the most offensive beer in the world, or perhaps this is an old keg, but this tastes like bad homebrew. Old faded hops give way to a big grassy smack in the palate, like an old IPA. The watermelon is light and not artificial tasting which is a good thing. Pale malt with lemon grass. I don't know what else to say.

Feel is on the less than medium side with a sharp carb hit despite the beer looking dead. The alcohol is not tasted, yet the aftertaste of old grass is off putting. I thinks this may be a old keg, no way 21st would put out a brew in such large quanity with it being a dud, or would they.

This is a very popular beer with new to craft drinkers. My brother swears by it and he is a BMC guy, so I guess there is some appeal to the non beer geek to seek this out with the watermelon addition. I need to try this from a can, but my draft score will remain.

Hazy light amber color. Overpoured, and the meager head didn't hold. 3.0

Wheat malts and some lemony tang. Almost buttery in its aroma. 3.0

Phenolic watermelon and buttered popcorn. Slight artificial strawberry character. Weak wheat malts. Goofy flavors. 2.5

Really effervescent. The body is forgettable. 2.5

Average fruit wheat. Not boring, just faulty execution. 3.0

2.73/5  rDev -17%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with no head.

The aroma is very weak, the wheat comes through but you only catch a faint note of watermelon. After some time the watermelon emerges to be more identifiable. The taste is light and crisp, at which time the watermelon is the star player. Toward the end of drinking the wheat can comes through. Not much of a mouthfeel but really tasty for the summer days. Watermelon is present but not overpowering. It adds to the crispness, offering a little bite.

Recommendable for the summer months.

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

A-Pours a goldenrod yellow with a one finger white head that quickly dissipates.

S-Wheat with a faint watermelon note. The nose is pretty muted.

T-Wheat with a little bit of watermelon. I was expecting more watermelon.

M-Decent amount of carbonation with thin body.

D-Easy drinking although its not something I'd buy again.

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

This beer pours a cloudy pale orange color with ha hint of green. The head is an inch in height, and vanishes within seconds. The aroma is of watermelon. There is also a tart aspect to the aroma that isn't pleasing to me. I am sure this beer smells how it is intended to, but it simply smells bad. The taste is of very mild watermelon, and not much else. Really this taste is of virtually nothing. It isn't bad; it just isn't. The mouthfeel is watery with low carbonation (bad for a wheat beer). Overall, this is a fairly bad beer. I will not drink it again.

- can poured into a 20 ounce glass
A - very cloudy hazy yellow with no head.
S - watermellon and wheat with a strange unpleasantness.
T - big wheat upfront followed by a mild watermellon aftertaste.
M - carbonated syrup.
D - not very drinkable for me.
I like fruit beers but not this one.

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: hazy golden straw color with a thin white head lasting only seconds. No rising co2 bubbles.

Aroma: mainly a wheat aroma followed by a yeast aroma. This yeast aroma is not of cloves or banana esters just a "muddy" yeast nose. No watermellon aroma either.

flavor: strong wheat with no other malt coming through. Also nohops at all nor any of this watermellon I hear about.

Mouthfeel: This beer is lightly carbonated, and fairly thin. As for balance it just tastes like an average wheat.

Drinkability: Don't get me wrong this is not a bad beer. There is nothing about it that I fully dislike about it. My issues with this beer is that there is no watermellon aroma or flavor (which is the reason my old lady convinced me to put down that ipa to buy this instead). I enjoyed the wheat & is an ok american wheat with nothing really standing out to set this beer apart from the others. While it's not a bad beer it is not worth the price I paid for this 6 pack. I would rather spend my money on another choice in the same style of beers. Note: if you see a single bottle pick it up & give it a try.

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

Smells kind of funky. Pours a clear straw yellow color with good carbonation. Not really sure about the watermelon flavor. Not really a hoppy beer. Tastes sort of like a rita's water ice soaked in beer. Bought a single can with expectations that it would be much better.

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

I was excited about getting this beer in a can. Had it few times at the brewery and look forward to it every summer. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed about this. The watermelon taste seems to be very artificial, to the extend that I thought they added watermelon syrup to get the flavor. Otherwise, still a decent wheat beer to drink in the summer.

2.69/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear (by wheat beer standards) straw color. There are two fingers of white-colored head. Unfortunately, the texture is akin to soda...and so is the retention. Almost no lacing is left behind.

S: Watermelon notes are very timid in this one. The base beer, on the other hand, seems to be very buttery and sweet - I hate to say it smells redolent of a macro lager, but it freakin' does. Okay, now I'm getting some watermelon after this opens up. Just a bit.

T: There's more of a watermelon presence on the palate, being sandwiched by a malty sweet start and a faintly buttery finish. Not as macro lagery as the nose indicated. A rather mediocre beer, but at least it's not a syrupy, watermelon-induced nightmare.

M: Rather light and sweet on the palate. Not disgustingly sweet, thankfully. The carbonation seems powerful, but it's obscured by the sweetness somewhat.

O: Someone was bound to make a watermelon beer eventually, and I'm glad 21st Amendment did. This kind of beer isn't my thing - while it's refreshing, I can think of more enjoyable beers that do the same basic thing. Try it if you really like watermelon, otherwise get something else.

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Once in a while you are presented with something you are sure will be atrocious and turns out to be well... just different.

I could review this according to the traditional run through of Serving to Drinkability.

But instead I will say it is predominantly a light wheat beer with all of those characteristics. The watermelon comes in at the end of the sip and is not particularly overbearing. It is in fact a highly palatable beer. It is reminiscent of the watermelon Jolly Rancher or lollipop.

There is less aftertaste than you would expect and the beer has a decent body to it.

having said all this I would not drink a full can of it; it is so far from my taste in beer I can't imagine wasting the blood alcohol and calories on it.

However if you think you may like a wheat beer with a zing of slightly sour, slightly sweet watermelon. In my opinion the watermelon has ruined a good wheat beer in lieu of complimenting it. Thus the reduced taste rating. However this is largely about my aversion to this style versus a flaw in the brewing.

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

I saw the can and had to give it a go. I was interested to see what a watermelon beer would taste like, though skeptical.
A- It's straw yellow. Hazy. It has a big foamy head, white, and a good deal of head and lace. Some streams of bubbles.
S- Sweet wheat scent with a hint of watermelon.
T- The taste is reversed from the smell. The watermelon is bold and the wheat is mild. It's like a jolly rancher was put into a wheat beer. Refreshing, but this taste is too candy-ish. I was only good with having two then had to move on.

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Yellow-orange in color, creamy and hazy. About an inch of fluffy head forms at the top but quickly dies down to nearly nothing. Doesn’t look overly carbonated. Looks like a typical hef.

Smell: Very sweet and floral, I’m thinking honeysuckle, with some malty grains backing it up.

Taste: More of that floral sweet honeysuckle at first, then comes the watermelon and citrus notes, and finally the malts and bitter hops finish. The watermelon tastes a little artificial and overall the brew is more sour and acidic than I was expecting. I’m not getting much of the cloves/banana etc that I expect from wheat beers, but there is some banana there.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, refreshing going down and easy on the finish. A little bit syrupy consistency.

Overall: Had one of these leftover from summer, and it’s a nice hot day today so figured I’d kill the six-pack. This is probably the only one I poured into a glass to review properly, the rest I drank straight from the can. And I think that’s how these should be enjoyed -- floating down a river or by the beach in a tube with just the can. It’s not a bad summer brew but I think the artificial flavor would turn some people off. My woman didn’t like it and she’s a fan of fruit beers. One of these is great, after two or three I’d probably get tired of the sweet and sourness.

look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a can into my hefeweizen glass. poured a standard cloudy orange/yellow color. can dictates that there is yeast in the can, and i should "agitate" it before pouring. i poured two thirds and felt very weird swirling the rest in a can. whatevs. two finger white head, essentially no head retention, no lacing.

not getting watermelon in the smell, maybe a wheat cereal type smell, maybe a bit of citrus. not much else. tastes akin to a watery wheat beer with the tasteless white part of the watermelon mixed in. there is a slight bit of acidity to be found, but not enough to make things interesting. fairly light bodied for a wheat beer. not my favorite, i'm glad i only bought a single can.

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

12 ounce can purchased at Brews Bros in Mt Lebanon, PA.

Smell: Maybe a tine of watermelon. Some lemon

Taste: Fake watermelon. No doubt. Definitely not real watermelon. Not sure if there is any other flavors in there. Maybe this is Miller Lite with some fake watermelon flavoring?

Mouthfeel: Nice body, goes down smooth. Could drink these on a hot summer day if there was nothing else around.

Overall: I'm still searching for a quality fruit beer. Not sure if I'll ever find a real good one. But for some reason, I keep trying. Somebody please stop me.

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Hazy gold color with a white two finger head with poor retention. The aroma has watermelon, bread, and a little sweet malt.

Tastes like bread, grain, watermelon, and a little bit of sweet malt. Not overly sweet, and the watermelon flavor is light, but it is present. Decent carbonation, light to medium bodied, not much aftertaste. I am glad I had a chance to try this. Not sure I will pick this one up again.

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a cloudy, pale yellow with a finger width head, soda fizz poor retention, leaving no lace but a small ring of bubbles around the edges of the glass. Literally like pouring a soda.

Smell - Aromas are faint. Sweet, dirty. More honeydew on the nose than watermelon.

Taste - Like they took a macro light beer and threw in some watermelon extract. Mild wheat pokes out. Watermelon is most prevalent... and then there's the rest of the beer, which reeks of cheap adjuncts. That's not to say it's what's in the beer, but it's certainly the impression it makes.

Mouthfeel - Watery and under-carbonated. There's a slight bite, but it's comparable to a 3 week pup.

Overall - ... And yet, this beer is somehow better than the sum of it's parts. I'll never buy it again, but I'd probably drink it if offered. This is now my 2nd 21st Amendment beer, and both have been big disappointments. Dare I try a third?

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

Now I've been wanting to try me so 21st amendment for a quick minute now, and was pumped when I came across it at Julio's.

Appearance was was a slightly hazy pale yellow. Yellow and fizzy, so far no good.

Smell was very bland. not much there. fruity and crisp hops.

Taste had very little watermallon. I was expecting more melon for sure. Pale malts, and mild hops.

crisp light mouthfeel

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a cloudy golden. Head is half a finger foamy white.
S- Light watermelon character on the nose, with a pale grain presence.
T- The first thought in my mind was Watermelon Bubblicious but far less sweet. A watery watermelon character, with a grainy base.
M- Light and thin, verges on watery.
O- Interesting idea but I didn't particularly care for its executing. Probably wouldn't seek out or try again.

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

A- This American Wheat has a hazy yellowish appearance with a low- fast dissipating- white head.

S- Faint watermelon, cheap wheat, and yeast fill the air and a underlying funk that is off putting.

T- A very strange and upfront concentrated fruit flavor that taste more like rotten apples than watermelon. It has absolutely no finish- the flavor drops off into a watery tasteless waste of a beer.

M- Low Carbonation and light body gives this brew a easy drinkin award.

Final Thoughts- This American Wheat is not worth buying twice- it's akward flavor is hard to drink let alone 5 more. Keep trying 21 Amendment- it could potentially be a good beer.

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Very aromatic smell of watermelon and pungent "beer" smell.
Tasted good with normal wheat beer taste up front followed by the watermelon flavor. Leaves not so good aftertaste in your mouth. Below average fruit beer. Seems too artificial.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery