Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -33.1%

Can: Poured a light yellow color ale with a small pure white foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of watermelon and light wheat malt is weird and not really enticing. Taste is a mix between some watermelons which is more dominant then expected with some light wheat malt. Body is thin with light carbonation. Boring thin wheat with light watermelon flavours.

Phyl21ca, Feb 04, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from 12oz can into DFH pint glass. No canning date is present on the packaging. It is a seasonal release, so I am assuming it isn't that old. **Preface: Not my favorite style. Purchased for wife who likes wheats.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color. Pretty much no head at all. Carbonation is not great. Some lacing.

S: Mostly yeasty. Strange smells. When I really got in there I got some fruit (melon) smells but not as overpowering as I was expecting.

T: The flavor of this is strange. Really different. I get the watermelon but it's just kind of off putting actually. I really didn't like this at all and almost drain-poured the last 1/4 of it.

M: Very watery (thank god actually). Nothing that lingers with you.

O: I like 21st Amendment and most of their offerings, just not into this one. I bought a 6-pack and THANK GOD the wife likes it....she'll be drinking the rest of it alone!

inlimbo77, May 06, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -34%

Had this on tap whilst visiting the area.

It looks like a hefeweizen, cloudy golden in color with a frothy white head. Leaves a small lacing though.

The scent surprisingly does not contain a whole lot of watermelon. It's an off putting scent that does not exactly encourage you to drink it. Mostly malty aroma with the very subtle hint of watermelon

Taste wise, wow. Not good at all. I was very much looking to try this and was quite disappointed. It tasted malty and very vegetable in its taste. Rather than tasting the sweet juicy part of the watermelon your subjected to tasting the inner lighter in color near the rind part.

All that being said it felt quite nice on the palate with good levels of carbonation.

Not drinkable at all due to the fact that the it's not a good tasting brew.

Brewlore, Aug 28, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -34.7%

A 12 ounce can into a snifter...

The pour is a translucent hay color with about a half inch of bubbly, white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. The smell is perhaps the most off-putting part for me; for some reason, I can't detect anything past a terrible, strong, curdled milk scent. I can't even find the damn watermelon in the nose. I brace for the taste… ah, found the watermelon! There is a dominating, yet artificial watermelon flavor reminiscent of a jolly rancher or some other sugary candy. An odd milk like flavor sits between the melon and a faint wheat base. The mouthfeel is light, and a bit lively from the carbonation. Nothing spectacular, as it is a bit thin. I will be avoiding this in the future.

eclipse54, Aug 25, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -34.7%

A: Pours a cloudy, straw-yellow body with a small fizzy head that doesn't last;. some visible carboantion.

S: A very thin nose of wheat and watermelon. Nothing amazing.

T: The flavors I don't think mesh well, perhaps because they're so watered down. Some wheat notes and a hint of watermelon. Reminds me of a bad "bitch" beer.

M: Light body; carbonation feels forced or fake like club soda; watery texture.

O: I didn't enjoy this beer. I don't see myself getting this again anytime soon nor recommending this to other. I usually enjoy their beers, but this one is a miss.

BrewCrew2010, Jul 30, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -36.2%

Watermelon Wheat in a can? Lets give it a try.
It's slighty hazy and amber, with no head to speak of. The nose is bitter watermelon and not much else. Taste is lots of watermelon, but it's not sweet at all. It's like watermelon vines. Very acrid and metallic. Mouthfeel is ok I suppose, it's a bit watery. The drinkability suffers from the non-sweet punch of watermelon flavor.

shivtim, Oct 03, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me.

mikechance, Apr 25, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours a hazy golden color, with a couple fingers of head. The smell is funky, but not in a good, Belgian sort of way. Instead its a strange, unpleasant smell, somewhat wheat like, but not entirely. The first taste is bitter, although not strongly so. After another sip or two, I start to notice the watermelon flavor, but I'm not enjoying it. I tried to finish this, but it became a drain pour instead. Perhaps its just the watermelon, but this beer simply does not work for me, even though I love wheat beers and fruit beers.

ebby82, Aug 05, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

Had been wanting to try this for a while...finally did...glad I did...probably won't be having another.

A-Pale yellow...clearer than I would have expected...light head that faded fast

S-Probably the best part of the beer...strong and pleasant smell of watermelon...smells of summer...picked up some wheat as well

T-I wanted to like the taste...but couldn't....watermelon all over the place...slight wheat...SLIGHT....the watermelon was too prevalent and even then...tasted watered down. Not pleasant.

M-medium carbonation

D-As I said above...I am glad I tried it...b/c I had wanted to for a while...I didn't finish the can I had...left about 1/4 in the glass. I generally am a fan of 21st amendment...but this one just didn't work...though I respect the effort in trying to brew a different beer.

crashdavisinoh, Apr 30, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

Chilled can into a glass.

I was hot as hell when I had this, so I thought it would be a perfect beer for the circumstances.

A: Pours a clear straw color with a slight orange shade to it. The vigorous pour yields a decent head, but retention is a few seconds at best, receding into a collar and leaving no lacing down the glass.

S: Mostly an earthy yeast and wheat smell with the unmistakable tinge of Taco Bell bean burritos. I'm not making this up. A little lemony citrus to it. No watermelon.

T: Mostly a yeast and wheat combination, with a slightly tart watermelon finish. There's still that Taco Bell bean burrito flavor in here. WTF!?! My palate is totally clean too.

M: Light-bodied. Carbonation is moderate. Flavor is a bit watery.

D: I do enjoy Taco Bell (shoot me), but I didn't enjoy this beer. It's not something I'd have again unless someone made me drink it.

Arbitrator, Jul 31, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

Looks very nice. Good lacing and pours bubbly. The smell and taste are overwhelmingly "fake" watermelon, less like the melon and more like a jolly rancher. Going down it comes off way too sweet and does not leave a nice aftertaste.

I would not get this again.

kimbo33, Jul 16, 2012

anrbot, Apr 12, 2012

jhillwastaken, Jul 21, 2013

soulcougher, Jun 24, 2014

jonaspb, Jul 29, 2013

Got this on a recommendation of a friend and decided to pick some up try it and drop a review on it... Pours a hazy, golden color head is thin, white, bubbly and gone very quickly... Smell is of a standard beer variety with a slight sweetness. Would not pick out watermelon here if it wasn't on the can... Taste is not very pleasant slightly sour but not much there really... Again in searching for the watermelon flavor I liken it to a watermelon that just never got sweet... Guess that can be expected from a fruit that can either be really great or really uneventful... Was kinda surprised because previous reviews had mentioned an artificial flavor of watermelon and I just don't taste it... Might actually make it more enjoyable. Canned in 4/12 for not very old either only like 3 weeks. Can't say I'll be going back for this one.

alk3kenny, May 16, 2012