Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev -29.2%

Appearance: The pour is hazy gold with a large foamy white head that soon settles down as a thin layer with a smidgen of lacing.

Smell: The nose has pungent watermelon that straddles the line between fresh and fake/sugarfied in front of wheat aromas.

Taste: Good news: The watermelon is still on the right side of fresh/artificial Mendoza Line in the flavor profile. There's just a hint of Jolly Rancher. It doesn't seem like it would be an offensive flavor at all if it were by itself. Same goes for the wheat beer component. It's tastes like a nice, fundamentally sound, refreshing wheat beer. Bad news: The combination of the watermelon and wheat is nearly disgusting.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied without feeling watery with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I put a bottle of Irony Pinot Noir back once I saw the six pack of Watermelon Wheat. Now I have 5 cans to serve to friends or suffer through. I wonder how the pinot tastes...

goschool, Aug 21, 2008
2.32/5  rDev -29.5%

Jeff_Benson, Sep 12, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark gold with a thin white head that fizzes away quickly. No lacing at all. Aroma is an explosion of diacetyl. Huge butter note with a wisp of watermelon. Almost intolerable. Flavor is better in that the watermelon and wheat flavors come through, but there's still a lot of that gross mealy butterscotch. Mouthfeel is a little sticky for what ought to be a refreshing summer beer. Drinkability is not good because of how easy it is to get sick of this diacetyl bomb. This beer needs a reformulation.

illidurit, Nov 08, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -30.7%

Pale straw color that has the slightest haze. One finger of head that settles to a thin film. Some spotty lacing is left behind on the glass.

Sort of a bizare aroma and flavor. Does not smell specific like watermelon, but sort of a decomposing rind, vegatable aroma. Some sort of spice is lingering in there but I cannot specifically identify it.

Not a fan of the flavor either. Certainly unique. Watermelon rind, lemon, and pale wheat malt.

Solid, light body of a wheat ale. Well matched carbonation.

Not a fan of this beer. A weird aroma and flavor for sure. Finding it hard to finish.

morimech, Apr 22, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -30.7%

12 oz can poured into pint glass. thanks to mrmiles for this during the nice cans II BIF

Pours a clear pale yellow with a thin head which quickly fizzles out. No retention or lacing.

Very unusual nose with some fruity wheat and almost an earthy vegetable smell. Kind of like a garden salad maybe?

Light wheat and barley up front, which quickly crashes into an odd avalanche of watermelon and other fruit/vegetable flavors. There's a definite sweetness, but I kept feeling like I was almost drinking some sort of salad. Finishes crisp with a bit of lingering juicy watermelon flavor.

Light body, some lingering dryness on the tongue. I guess this would be smooth drinking, but the taste is pretty confusing and unattractive for me.

xnicknj, Oct 22, 2010

Jimbo4430, May 21, 2013

kemkempalace, Nov 13, 2013

sevenshubby, May 28, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Purchased as a single from Whole Foods in Shortpump - Glen Allen, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a yellowy straw color, decent head.. but mostly unattractive. Smells kind of pissy in a way and there is a faint scent of watermelon seeds.. not so much watermelon but like when you accidentally chew on a seed. Tastes kind of pissy and watery in a way. Again the watermelon flavor is just not there at all other than a faint after though of a seed. Feels okay as far as body goes but the pissy watermelon seed garbage is kind of in the way.

Overall I would advise against this beer. I would love to try some of this brewery's other offerings as I have heard some good things. Hopefully this wont affect my perception of their other brews.

engagechad, May 10, 2011

Poured from the can

A - Slightly hazy yellow with an inch or so of pretty vigorous head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass. No lacing, carbonation not very visible.

S - All around pretty light in the nose; I pick up some sugary sweetness and some yeasty aroma and that's about it.

T&M - Very sweet and sugary; there is certainly watermelon flavors, but unfortunately it tastes like artificial watermelon to me; it reminds me of a watermelon flavored gum I used to buy as a kid. Carbonation is very light. The mouthfeel is soft and fluffy, but there is something going on here that coats my mouth and is not pleasant.

D - I suppose I see a market for this, but this isn't for me. The watermelon is artificial tasting, and I find the sweetness slightly cloying. I'm not even going to finish what I poured; the wife is going to have to take one for the team.

ZeroSignal, Jun 27, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk for this one.

Poured a 12oz can into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a hazy straw with a 1 finger head that disappeared within seconds and left no lacing at all. The aroma reminds me of a whole grain bagel with some sort of berry cream cheese. Good for breakfast not for beer. The taste is just flat out strange. The flavor is very grainy. It really reminds me of a Everything Bagel form Einstein Bagels mixed with a glass of water that had a Watermelon Jolly Rancher dropped in. Good for Zima, not some much for beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. I'm sorry, but I think I would choose a glass of water over another one of these brews.

hwwty4, Oct 21, 2008

abkayak, Aug 05, 2014

jodybrutal, Aug 19, 2014

scoot64, May 16, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can.

Ultimately, somewhat depressing. I had one of these last weekend and knew I didn't like it then, but decided to hold off until I had a second one at a later date. Does not smell particularly appetizing.

While there are certainly some mild watermelon notes in there that become even more prominent in aftertaste, there's also a not-entirely-horrible-but-not-altogether-pleasant-either mild tartness and tang and wheaty goodness, and some hint of cucumber. Starts to taste better once it's been out of the fridge a few minutes, but the smell still kills it a bit.

Ultimately when I think about it, I've never had a watermelon wheat before, but this is is probably _exactly what a watermelon wheat beer should taste like_. But when there's so many other outstanding beers out there, this is really a novelty.

It's gonna be tough to polish off the other 4 cans left in my fridge.

torchednoodle, Aug 31, 2008