Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 673 | Hads: 2,385
3.02/5  rDev -7.6%

A- A nice cloudy yellow color.

S- Watermelon and wheat.

T- Watermelon not sweet like a watermelon should be. Other then that just another wheat beer.

M- Very moist. Can taste the watermelon through out sip.

D- Not impress with this at all. It need to be sweeter and maybe add some other flavors to enhance the watermelon more. (330 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured into a pint glass. What started as a puffy cloud of a head disappeared entirely when I looked away for a moment. No lacing. Grainy, earthy yellow color - unfiltered. Nothing special.

Oh yeah, you can smell watermelon, faintly. Doesn't smell artificial, which is good, however, it's more of the character of watermelon, but lacking the sweetness of it. Hops - hard time detecting. A wheat scent is present but it's undermined by the melon.

You do end up getting a little more of the sweet tang of watermelon in the taste. The quality of the wheat backbone is average. Tiny hint of bitterness. Just about no carbonation.

For a watermelon wheat beer, hardly exceeds expectations. Drink a couple and it won't hurt.

NOTE: tried this again mid-April '13 on tap at the brewpub in San Fran and it was quite different experience - first off, they provide a fat wedge of watermelon with each glass - cheesy, but necessary - the taste has a hell of a lot more watermelon sweetness and fruit flavor - the beer itself sports more of a doughy malt flavor and, with more of a frothy carbonation on the palate, it ends up being quite enjoyable, refreshing and moreish.
A: 4.5, S: 4.25, T: 4.25, M: 4, T: 4.25 (1,203 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: transparent, very light and almost green, lots of carbonation. resembles an energy drink

S: weak but slightly sweet. maybe watermelon? and faint malt.

T: i don't really get the watermelon maybe some rind, some of the bitterness. it's a very mild beer. not very strong flavors. but somehow nice, light and refreshing. as it warms up, the watermelon appears more. slightly sour

M: slightly drying.

O: interesting, I guess fairly good in terms of the flavor but not particularly exciting. (492 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%

Into a tumbler it pours a pale golden orange color. Some feeble foam clings to one side, a loose texture to the bubbles. Visible carbonation, murky clarity.

Smells like any other "wheat beer"... bland and somewhat grainy. Not much discernable watermelon, though there's an indistinct fruity note to it.

Some watermelon flavor, though accompanied by a bland watery character, more like the white rind than the sweet red fruit. Light astringency, the mouthfeel is basically nonexistent. Probably not something i'd revisit personally. Cool new can design though. (562 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%

pours tan hay color. head, retention, lacing is ok.

smells really funky. like epoisses or something. metallic. crayons. hint of watermelon

tastes like a wheat beer with watermelon extract or juice. watermelon is a little artificial. not too overpowering, but not very pleasant

mouthfeel is pretty good. great carbonation. finish typical of light wheat beers.

would not buy again. drain pour in the end (405 characters)

poured into duvel tulip

A: pour sort of scared me, i though i saw green beer, but in glass it looks like a typical wheat ale, half finger white layer of foam. cloudy golden color.
S: a more watermelon rind like aroma, that green rind vegetable smell, also slight sweet malt and yeast. and of coarse wheat.
T: one of the few times im actually kind of scared to take a sip. ok, not that bad beer wise, good wheat and yeast character, slight banana and clove, as well as sweet malt. The but is the watermelon, its defiantly not what i was expecting, tastes a bit too much of the green rind with a candy fake watermelon hiding deep in the back row.
M: overall smooth mild carbonation, slightly coating.
D: i may be slightly off put by flavor of the watermelon, but it is oddly easy to put down. (793 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into tulip. Hazy yellow a tiny little bit pink. Smell is good yeast and wheat and a bit of sour watermelon at the end. The taste is dryish straw like. Good feel. With watermelon rind at the end. I was excited seeing this beer but the watermelon was sour and drying. I'd still buy it again though (302 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.
A - Nothing special A pale straw color with minimal head and no retention.

S - I kind of liked the smell of watermelon, but other than that there is just the slightest hint of wheat.

T - Unspectacular but pleasantly refreshing.

M -Very little. A lot like macro.

O - OK paradoxically, I enjoyed this beer, but not because it resembled anything I would call "craft beer." I would consider this nice and interesting lawnmower beer. Sort of like the pleasure one would get drinking a Pabst or Natty Boh but with watermelon--which ain't a bad thing! (585 characters)

12 oz. can, 2014 edition, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, hazy, golden, yellow/straw color with a quarter of a finger of very white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that only covered maybe a quarter of the top of the beer.

Aroma: Not much in the aroma department, actually, which is both surprising and disappointing. I actually don’t get any aromas what-so-ever.

Taste: However, this beer has a lot of flavor, predominately watermelon. Strong, fruity, crisp, semi-sweet, yet slightly sour flavors of watermelon up front, followed by some honey, slightly toasted wheat and some floral, grassy flavors. But the predominate flavor is watermelon. Actually, the beer’s flavor reminds me a lot of the watermelon-flavored Jolly Rancher® candy.

Mouth feel: Medium-bodied and very crisp as there’s quite a lot of carbonation to this beer. With an ABV of 4.9%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Interesting beer. Lots of watermelon, a little wheat, and a touch of honey. Interesting. I’m not sure if I like it, but I do find in intriguing. (1,125 characters)

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Mildly hazy golden yellow. Not much carbonation at all.

Smell: Light beer aromas and watermelon, though it doesn't seem like syrupy extract, and it probably is.

Taste: Domestic macro grain flavors with a bit of watermelon. Not much else.

Mouthfeel: Lighter-bodied, watery, with mild a carbonation burst near the tail end.

Drinkability: I bought a six-pack for my wife, who's a watermelon fiend, and even though she told me I couldn't have one, I'm having one now. I don't think I'll have another one. I imagine, however, that some folks would dig it, under the right circumstances. (632 characters)

This is the second year I have tried this seasonal release. I did find that for 2015, I got a better batch than in 2014. I don't know if they changed the recipe for 2015, but I found it better this year in 2015. Overall, this style is nice for those extremely hot days of summer. I wasn't blown away by either year though. This is a good beer, just not a great beer in my opinion. I think the hype of this beer overshadows the actual product. It seems that the more unique a beer is brewed the stronger the hype is that comes along with it. Sure it is great to break new ground in the brewing industry, but I often think people get too caught up in the hype of things.

This beer poured a nice hazy straw color with little to no head to it. The smell was of melon and sweet malts. You could actually make out the watermelon odor off the beer this year, which I didn't get last year. The taste for me this year was very clean and refreshing. The watermelon flavor seems to bring a slight hint of sweetness to the light bodied wheat finish. This is an awesome combo for a summer beer. Easy to drink and not too heavy on the stomach. The ABV is 4.9% so you can definitely throw a few of these back. The taste was clean and didn't leave any lingering aftertaste really. I did enjoy this beer much better than last year. Now I am wondering if I had a bad batch or a skunked beer from 2014??? Anyway I am still saying better than average. A good summer beer to try and experience. Pair it with your day at the beach or at your backyard BBQ or tailgate party. (1,574 characters)

Reviewed blind for the Blind Beer BIF #5. Poured into a Baxter can shaped pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy sun yellow (if that makes sense). Massive fizzy white head at first that prevented me from pouring the whole can at once. However, the head was deceiving as it all but disappeared within a minute (3)

S: Odd smelling beer. At first I was guessing lager just based on the malt smell, but that evaded me after a few sniffs. Cheesy bread? Honestly that's the first thing that came to mind. Probably toss in some wheat and apple/pear. Despite the random assortment listed, the beer doesn't smell terrible (3)

T: Also doesn't taste terrible. Straw, yeast, some bready malt and a brief sweetness that I can't quite pin down - apple? toffee? I think I'm ready to guess Blonde Ale... or maybe a pilsner (3)

M: Light to medium bodied. Carbonation is enough to know it's there. There is a slight sweetness that lingers (3)

D: Overall a decent beer. Probably not one I'd drink again but not the killshot I had suspected it might be (3) (1,031 characters)

12oz can into a tall pils glass.

A: Cloudy effervescent straw color with a faint wispy white head.

S: Light wheat beer aromas, yeast, some grassy notes and a touch of fruitiness...no real watermelon aromas.

T: More watermelon here but I'm not partial to it - sorta fake and funky, a bit sour. Musty and grainy as wheat beers go, but watery at the same time.

MF: Lighter body with moderate carbonation.

O: Not real good. I finished the glass but didn't really want to. Don't like the watermelon that is there, and there isn't a lot of it. As far as a wheat beer its light and pilsner-like, grainy and grassy and watery. Just not my favorite but not terrible. (662 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -8.6%

A- 12 oz. can poured into a pint glass. Tried this a while back, from notes: Pours hazy yellow with a finger of fizzy white head. Decent retention but no appreciable amount of lacing.

S- Very bland in the aroma department. Has a light grainy aroma, can't really seem to detect any watermelon in this. Maybe if I try real hard...

T- Hints of watermelon are in the taste but still has a dominant grainy flavor to it. Not really what I was expecting.

M- Light body, very fizzy mouthfeel due to the amount of carbonation.

D- Light enough to consume easily, but the flavor doesn't really do it for me. Glad I go to try it, but definitely wouldn't have it again. (660 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to torchednoodle for this extra.

12oz. can poured into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a lemon pulp yellow with light hazing. 1 finger worth of white head forms with decent retention. Not much lacing.

S: Juicy watermelon and tart smelling wheat struggle for power. Plenty of sweetness from the watermelon.

T/M: Pretty tart. Decent watermelon taste with lots of tartness and bitterness along with the same from the wheat. A strong drying effect as well. Carbonation is quite high with a medium light body.

D: Very unique but not executed extremely well. Drinkable but one is enough for me. (593 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a wheat glass.

The color is a hazy orange/yellow with a foamy off-white and no lacing.

The smell is a a bit wheaty with a slight melon flavor and some hints vegetable.

The taste is more cucumber than watermelon. There is a vague sweet juicy flavor but watermelon was not the first thing I thought of, or the second. The is a melon flavor that is slightly there in the backend but is a little lost in the biscuit flavor that hangs around among it.

The feel of this beer is refreshing and has a nice crisp feel to it like a larger. Goes down easy and is pretty drinkable. (602 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -8.9%

I got this can in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

It's a nice cloudy yellow gold pour. Fairly large head shrinks fairly quickly, some lacing.

The smell has a strong watermelon presence but I also get a touch of some yeast.

The taste is the same as the nose. Lots of watermelon that mellows out some after a few sips, candy sugar sweetness, some lemon zest peeks through, a little yeast, quite flavourful over all but...I'm not a huge fan of watermelon so finishing the can will be a chore for me. Interesting concept for sure though. (538 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a very very pale golden with a few thin strands of bubbles rising from the bottom. A reasonable head formed upon pour, but quickly left just a thin layer that clung just a bit to the sides. Aroma was a bit off putting, smelled slightly sour with a hint of pickles and grain. Taste was of watered down watermelon bubble gum or diluted sorbet. Not a natural flavor, but one that was easily identifiable. Felt thin and watery in the mouth. Didn't coat at all and had just a tad of carbonation while drinking. Overall was a blah beer. Might be fun to bust out as a gimmick while friends are over at a BBQ mid summer, but nothing I would want to drink on a regular basis. (712 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Straw yellow beer that was slightly hazy. One finger bubble head rose up and disappeared quickly to nothing. No anything left on the sides.

S - Pale malts, mild mild hopping, and a slight bit of watermelon. Doesn't smell bad, doesn't really smell good.

T - Taste is actually okay. Some pale, sweet malts and a late breaking bit of watermelon that is actually pretty watermelon tasting. It's not bad, maybe could be drank at picics as opposed to BMC.

M - Light, decent carbontion.

O - Not a good beer, not a bad beer. Not a good beer. Easy to get down, but pretty much of non-consequence. (595 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours out a nice yellow in color maybe a little darker than yellow but pretty close. Definitely a healthy two-finger white head with decent retention but really nice lacing.

Smell is pretty mellow with not much in the nose at all. Maybe a little sweet malts and that's about all I get.

Taste is quite different. There is a TINY bit of watermelon but I would not have guessed it if I didn't see the name. The backbone is sorta there but there really isn't much to this beer.

Mouthfeel is basically what I would expect from a wheat beer like this as it is quite thin.

Overall this is just not the beer I expected. It's not a decent wheat beer and I really only get a TINY bit of anything resembling watermelon or fruit. That being said it's not a bad beer but it isn't much better than a bud or something. I would not recommend this beer as it was a total letdown. (866 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -9.2%

Not something I disliked necessarily but I was actually hoping it would have a bit more of the watermelon flavor.

Poured nice and I was hopeful after getting the first smell but after tasting it I was dissappointed. If I hadn't know what it was supposed to be I may not have guessed it, very light on the flavor.

Otherwise it drinks just like a light lager beer to me, not much to it. Gimmicky is how I described it to my GF.

Will I finish the six pack, yes. Will I buy again, probably not. (493 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -9.5%

A: cloudy yellow with a thick white head that dies down to a thin line of bubbles.

S: Smells like a wheat beer with a very slight watermelon aroma in the background.

T: Interesting. The is an immediate melon flavor that mixes with the bready malt and wheat. I thought the sweetness was going to be out of control, but it wasn't that bad. The aftertaste isn't that great, sort of a residual musty melon flavor. Aftertaste brings it down, kind of gross.

M: Good mouthfeel. Light, smooth and good carbonation.

O: It's interesting. Doesn't taste too great (555 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -9.5%

I am currently enjoying this beer after a long walk home from work in the summer heat:

A: very little, if any visible head. Slightly murky (as I would expect of an unfiltered wheat)
s: kind of like bud light. not impressed or excited upon smelling it.
t: this is where I got a bit confused... at first it tastes a bit bland a watery, but it rounds out a bit towards the swallow and finishes with a kick of watermelon followed by a bitterness. interesting and refreshing.
m: nothing special, high carbonation, watery. (517 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Hazed sun yellow boddy. Thin fluffy white head. Sporadic lace coats the glass in patches as I drink. Aroma is sweet, bright and melony. Interesting flavor, though it's not my thing. This is the first watermelon beer I've tried and may be the last. I don't get any real specific watermelon flavor other than a juicy sweetness. The wheat base is very average. Nothing really stands out here. Could drink some of these in summer if nothing else was available. (456 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a weizen glass from a can. Bottling date is clearly stated at the bottom of the can as "03/02/13."

Pours a hazed, cloudy yellowish-amber look that is pretty typical to beers of this style. A nice foamy head coats the top of the glass (especially with my added extra aggressive pour), but it eventually dwindles down to pretty much nothing but a ring. Bubbles are disappointingly modest here, as well as lacing. The liquid is pretty thick in appearance, and the yeast is definitely noticeable. Still, nothing too showy or impressive. Say... I'd never guess there was watermelon in this thing by looking at it though!

Right at the front of the nose they definitely nailed spot-on the exclusive watermelon ingredient, alongside lightly tinged spices known in wheat beers. The watermelon is slightly sweet, juicy and vibrant, and also provides an off-finish resembling cantaloupe, or some barley ripe green melon. The smell overpowers other aspects in the aroma, but I am picking up some hearty wheat yeastiness, a little bit of herbal character, and lightly packed bready notes, but the watermelon concentrate and rinds really are the star here. In terms of experimenting, they definitely got something interesting and refreshing going on here, but it is unbalanced in displaying all of the beer's aspects.

The flavor, however, is a bit bizarre in following up the aroma. Lots of watermelon dried peel flavors come in, and finish in a soured, candied manner. Coriander and slightly muted spices soon follow, as well as a yeasty, bright character. The melon rinds become progressively tarty, especially as this warms up, and rather than taste juicy and thick, this beer instead comes off as needlessly dry and grainy. There's an astringent aftertaste that resembles sandpaper-like feel, which is strange. The alcohol, despite being below 5%, is surprisingly present here to the point of distraction. Carbonation is low, and there's a slight watery, thinned feel in the finish. Definitely not the most pleasing wheat beer to drink overall.

This is a strange one alright, and while I appreciate the watermelon rind tartness going on here, the beer lacks all of the hearty, chewy characteristics I love in wheat beers. I paired this with actual watermelon, and it was easier to drink... But then I realized that the watermelon fruit itself was more flavorful and juicy and muted the beer as a result. The extra graininess, alcohol burn, and thinness does not make this as refreshing as other Spring/Summer alternatives. For fans of novelty beers, do try this, but I can't recommend this as much as I'd like to. (2,619 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery