Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Reviews: 710 | Ratings: 2,585
3.14/5  rDev -4.6%

First off, a six pack of this beer is wayyyy too expensive. Very very cool concept though. The can has nice looking artwork.

12 oz. can poured into a standard pint glass

A- Pale light golden color. Cloudy. Small thin head.

S- Tart and sour watermelon. Reminded me of sour patch kids. Wheat and grass scents.

T- Another one dimensional beer. Tasted like a coors light with some watermelon. Kudos to 21st Amendment for having the watermelon flavor very suttle yet noticable.

M- Very light bodied. Very low on carbonation.

D- This could be good at a summer barbecue. I will try it again in the summer to see if it has improved.

3.14/5  rDev -4.6%

A-couldy straw colored beer almost resembling, sorry to say it, urine. Thin bubbly head that disspates quickly and leaves no lace behind

S-the nose is boozy like rum soaked strawberry with hints of clove and banana. The yeast is present and mixed into the straberry booze.

T/M-taste follows the nose, alcohol soaked strawberries that blend into some notes of clove and banana. smooth and creamy, light body, crisp finish, highly carbonated throughout.

D-easy drinking and somewhat sweet, suprisingly it shows alcohol with such a low alc beer.

3.14/5  rDev -4.6%

A. This poured pale yellow into the glass with about an 1 1/2 inch head that quickly dissapeared. Very light carbonation.

S. I was hit with the smell of watermelon immediatly but not in a good way. It almost smelled like a rotten watermelon, gross.

T. The taste does suprise me though. It is not overly sweet. It actually tastes like watermelon and just watermelon. It was as if I was eating a slice but was getting close to the rind of the fruit, so it is not gonna taste like a jolly rancher or italian ice.

M. Thin but not bad for a wheat beer.

D. I could pound a few of these on a hot day. Not too high in ABV so I could handle this. This is strictly a summer beer though.

3.14/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can shaker pint, canned on 7/9/12

A: light hazy yellow, with 1.5 finger light white head, recedes slowly, leaves a slight ring. No lacing. Cloudy as I expected
S: light corn/adjunct, a bready sweetness,maybe a light watermelon presence. Not much going on though.

T: wheat, slight adjunct taste, a sweet malt and a slight watermelon taste. Not overpowering, refreshing, and pretty tasty. My expectations were low, but it's pretty nice.

M: nice smoothness from the wheat malt, carbonation is nice, it has a sweet finish. Its not offputting and actually kinda nice.

O: I expected a lackluster,light bodied, overly fruity, overly sweet beer and what I got Was a decent summer beer. Would buy again for the pool or the beach.

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

This was just okay. Body is dark straw colored, initially has a thick and bubbly head that quickly dissipates down to nothing. Smells...not quite watermelon-y. It has a fruity smell to it but honestly it was like nothing I could place, certainly didn't smell like real fruit, but rather something candied and artificial. Taste is similarly strange. It's predominantly wheaty and malt forward, but there's a hint of something like watermelon rind. I didn't get any watermelon juice type flavors or anything else resembling fruit in this. If I wasn't aware it was a watermelon beer, I probably would have never guessed that flavor was any part of watermelon. Feel is pretty light and thin, high carbonation. I thought this beer was a little one dimensional and with a strange, not-quite-watermelon-but-vaguely-fruity quality to it. It would be a solid wheat beer if not for the watermelon, which just seems to muddle it up more.

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

12 oz silver can with bright neon green strips at the top and bottom. The front of the can has a picture of 2 watermelons with a large flame coming out of the bottom and a pitchfork coming out of the top. The back of the can has 3 tiny paragraphs that only talks about the brewery and an angel holding up a watermelon in the bottom right hand corner. No date, but there is a useless number at the bottom of the can.

Since they labeled this as a wheat beer, I poured this beer into an Ayinger Weizen glass. This Watermelon flavored beer poured a light sun yellow with some faint orange highlights along the sides. On top was a fast receding head of white foam. I'm assuming the head of foam was white in color because most of them are and this one did a disappearing act in a blink of an eye. Did it leave behind any spots or streaks of lace? You wish!

I don't know how to say this, but the aroma was just lightly sour. Not sour with watermelons or any other kind of fruit. It was just a straight up sour aroma with a minor whiff of malted wheat at the finish line. I've always enjoyed sour aroma, but this one, no!

The taste of this beer took back in time to when I used to get those fruit flavored slushees that were only available at mom and pop ice cream stands. This crispy carbonated wheat beer was filled with a ton of cheap watermelon flavoring. To round off the taste there was just a hint of malted wheat. There was nothing else in the taste.

This was an easy drinking light bodied fruit flavored wheat beer with a good amount of carbonation and a slight aftertaste of malted wheat and watermelon flavoring.

A watermelon wheat beer? I didn't have high hopes for this beer, but it did raise the bar a little bit for me. Not exactly a summer treat, but this beer would come through in a pinch if there was no other fruit wheat beer available.

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz can was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer quickly. It is a hazy pale yellow with some vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Tart, bready, and sweet malts with a faint watermelon aroma.

Taste: Same as above. Bland with a tiny hint of watermelon.

Mouthfeel: Light, refreshing, a little chewy, and low carbonation.

Overall: Not too shabby for a warm weather beer.

3.12/5  rDev -5.2%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

3.12/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: While coming out of a can, it pours well and had a nice head with a mild/pale golden color.
Smell: Has a rather earthy smell, not bad but not something too impressive
Taste: I actually like the subtle earthy taste of the watermelon. For me, it's a positive that the beer is not overly sweet. Other general reactions were not as good, but i enjoyed the taste.
Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, good crisp feel to it.
Drinkability: I was able to enjoy this, and I would continue to if it wasn't such a pricey beer.

I will give this brewery credit for their creativity. I do think it is difficult to get most beer nuts interested when serving something in a can.

3.12/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours ½ finger of white head. Little retention. Color is a light hazed golden yellow.

Aroma: Watermelon and wheat. Lemon zest and spice. Earthy.

Taste: Watermelon and cantaloupe. Spices and zest flavors. Wheat. Lemons. Earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Refreshing. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of dry.

Overall, this is a refreshing summer beer, but not crazy. Not very much to say about this one.

3.12/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Very light in color. Almost wit-like. Hazy-cloudy very pale yellow. Forms a modestly sized, rather fizzy white head that reduces to not much more than a patchy surface coating and a ring around the edge. Some very light lacing.

S: Aroma is interesting... There some tangy wheat. Some yeast and a touch of lemon. Then there is the watermelon.

T: Taste is similar to the aroma. Creamy wheat, some yeast and lots of watermelon.

M: Body is on the lighter side and the carbonation is weaker than I would have expected for such a light bodied beer. Mouthfeel is very smooth, almost juicy, but it also leaves an odd coating in the mouth after the swallow.

O: Ironically, this beer probably would be pretty good without the watermelon. But watermelon it is and this beer delivers a hefty dose of it, though, in the end, I don't think it improves it.

3.12/5  rDev -5.2%

Bland wheat brew with an assertive watermelon edge.

Presentation: 12 oz can. Contemporary youthful design, again a bit too close to some soda can iconography. Image of watermelons with silver rays, and a serving with a fruit wedge on the back. Paragraph notes handcrafting on the back, spirit of the brewery and promotion of cans alongside a brief description, including the instruction to shake it before serving it. Has some batch numbers but lacks a clear freshness or bottling date. Notes 4.9% Alc. by Vol. Served in a tall weisse glass.

A - Hazy pale yellow pour, with a tall head that shows little retention, minimal lacing and poor surface memory.

S - Soft nose with a wheaty hint and light watermelon sense.

T - Watermelon drives the flavor over a bland wheat range, sweet and blah...

M - Light-medium body with medium to low carbonation.

O - It can be had but the assertive watermelon does not support very well this light wheat brew.

Notes: Hmmm, the poorest from what I have had from 21st Amendment. Entry level casual quaff under the scorching sun? Not a terrible offering but having a choice I would stay away from this one. They can do much better than this.

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Served from can into a Unibroue La Fin du Monde tulip. Poured golden yellow with a minimal white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, grain, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, grain, fruit, and watermelon. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was nothing too exciting. If I'm completely honest, I mainly got this one for the name. The watermelon was definitely present, but really didn't blend well with the other flavors going on here. On the aroma I was unable to isolate the watermelon, but it definitely came through on the flavor. Worth trying to say that you did, but that is about it in my personal opinion.

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

thanks to mkgrenwel for this can. i think i got it because he really disliked it.

hazy golden pour which keeps a creamy circle floating above. retention is minimal, like a belgian with no sticky power.

i can certainly get hints of fresh watermelon juice in the nose, but they're just that.. hints. predominant in the aroma is the graininess of an american wheat beer.. the fruitiness compliments the natural sour tinge of the wheat and accents it with summer sweetness.

easy drinking, weird tasting. first off, the beer is rather buttery. shows the watermelon quickly yet thoroughly and fades into a banana-laced almond paste flavor with earthy grains. i wish the watermelon is what's allowed to linger on my palate.. after all, the only reason i got excited about trying this is because i like watermelon.

great concept, love the can. what a snoozer though. i have no problem finishing my glass.. but i won't bend over backwards to procure any more brews. thought the watermelon funk at BBF was phenomenal- that's what needs to be done to this beer to enhance its fruitiness.

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

12 oz can at 42 degrees into a pint glass.

A: It pours piss-yellow with a finger of white head that doesn't last.

S: Grass, a faint whiff of hops, wet crackers, and semi-artificial watermelon.

T: It starts out like a overly bitter wheat beer but the artificial watermelon (think Jolly Rancher without the sugar) comes in and wipes the rest of the flavors out. It would be excusable if it were at least a little sweeter but the bitterness remains.

M: It has a light body with heavy carbonation and some frothiness here and there.

O: I have enjoyed all 21st Amendment offerings until this. Swing and a miss.

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

This brew poured with a one finger white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a clear, golden-yellow color with mild visible carbonation. The nose was very muted. I only got a hint of watermelon. I remember this having more of a nose the last time that I had it. On the taste, the first thing that hit me was how much more carbonation there was on the taste than what I could see in the glass. The next thing that hit me was that this tasted exactly like a liquid watermelon jolly rancher to me. This was completely saturated with lots of artificial watermelon, which wasn’t all that pleasant. After that, I really didn’t get anything else. Any other flavors were completely hidden by the watermelon. The finish was quick, again with watermelon. I remember enjoying this beer much more…I guess my tastes have changed. I would not rush back to have this.

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz can into a Kloster Andechs glass. First beer review since trekking across the Gulf of Mexico for 45 days.

HoHWW pours with a fizzy, bright straw-golden hue. An eggshell head is retained only by virtue of the insanely active carbonation level. Slight fruity sweetness to the nose, but the majority of the aroma is crusty wheat grains and cereal.

The flavor brings an initial squirt of Starburst-like watermelon flavor, but it's very artificial and doesn't last long. It quickly gives way to stale wheat and a cooked veggie presence. Mouthfeel is bubbly and thin, but nicely crisp and refreshing per the style. Overall, this is an interesting take on the "fruity wheat" style, but the base beer is lack-luster. No point in adding watermelon to a mediocre wheat beer. I'd pass on this next time, but it was worth a try.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

It poured a milky golden with a reasonably nice head. The smell was a lot less pungent than I had expected, citrusy sweet notes with some of that wheaty body. The taste was...interesting. At first I almost spit it out. I was overwhelmed by the watermelon. But I steadied myself and kept trying it. The taste settled and it actually became rather pleasant. It's a nice drinking beer on a summer day, but nothing to write home about. Unless you're going home for the summer, and need a beer to drink for that.

3.07/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz can into pint glass.

The appearance is of a cloudy pale yellow with a thin white head that dissipates very quickly. The aroma is faint, but it actually does have some watermelon notes to it, though there is really not much else going on besides that and some pretty simple base malt notes. The flavor is surprisingly of watermelon and is enjoyable, but besides the nice watermelon flavor and a some slight grassy notes, as in the aroma, there is not very much offered. I would like to see some more malts as this has the potential to be a very unique and enjoyable beer. The mouthfeel is nothing too great either, as it is decently carbonated with a bit of a light body.
And while the watermelon flavor is a pleasant and unique twist, the lack of much body or other flavor notes really takes away from the overall enjoyability of this beer.

Poured from Can into Sam Adams Pint Glass

A: Golden yellow color with lots of carbonation. Very short head that dissolved quickly into near nothingness.

S: Detect the wheat in the smell, but it is very mild, no detection of watermelon.

T:Starts out very mild, then the watermelon taste rushes in. Finishes tart on the back of the tongue, watermelon taste disappears quickly.

M: Very thin, lots of carbonation lingers.

O: Better than other watermelon beers I have tasted, but still strange to taste watermelon in my beer!

3.06/5  rDev -7%

Saw this at the local shop and was interested, as watermelon is not a common ingredient and could go well with a late summer picnic. The can says that it is fermented with watermelon concentrate and has added watermelon juice, so I was expecting a somewhat sweet syrup type watermelon flavor.

Initial appearance was a slightly dark wheat beer with little to no head. The smell was slightly funky, although I could have gotten a bad pack I believe this is due to the unexpected watermelon smell mixing with the other hop and malt smells. The taste was surprisingly not like what it smelled like (this was a good thing), but rather a very mellow watermelon flavor quickly followed by wheat. This was definitely not the syrup/sticky sweet flavor I was bracing myself for, but was rather enjoyable. The mouthfeel is light and crisp like a typical wheat beer, with a fairly good drinkability.

This beer would have to be paired very carefully as the watermelon flavor would not play off of strong savory or sweet flavors well.

3.06/5  rDev -7%

Pours a hazy light orange in color with a 2 finger foamy white head that lasted a while; decent lacing that slid down fast. Good looking beer out of a can!

Smells of wheat, light malt, grains and watermelon; aroma was basically grain and watermelon, which is true to the beer's name.

Tastes of wheat, light malt, grains, watermelon, and very light hops. Couldn't tell if the watermelon was real or fake, but either way it made for an interesting taste.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a light and crisp feel overall and very mild carbonation.

Would be highly drinkable on a hot summer day and tasted better than expected to me. It's a good novelty summer fruit beer, but not one I would seek out again as I'm not a big fan of watermelon.

Can from the infamous GCG
Hazy murky straw color with a frothy tightly bubbled white head. Earthy wheat with hints of watermelon rind. The flavor feels more like cantaloupe with a bready spicy almost rancid light candied flavor to it. I find this completely bland and can't see a reason to ever put this to my lips again.

3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

12 ounce can, canned on 6/27/13. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a slightly hazy gold color with about an inch white head. Head retention is decent, and there isn't much lacing. The brew smells mostly like sweet and bready malt, along with a bit of watermelon Jolly Rancher candy. The taste is similar to the aroma, except that there's more balance between the malty and watermelon flavor. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's smooth and easy enough to drink. Not a bad beer for a hot day. I only grabbed this since I was able to get a single can at my local Kroger. I wouldn't buy a six pack of this, but it's worth trying if you've never had it before.

3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Much thanks to TomDecapolis for supplying this brew that I've been waiting months to try...
Appears a hazy pale gold with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar.
Smell is of watermelon jolly ranchers, & obvious watermelon water ice jumping out without anything else more that stands out. It may sound appealing from a distance but it's really one dimensional.
The taste is of light sugar, bubblegum, and watermelon rind. I really don't know what else to say about it. It's not really bland...it's just uncomplex.
Mouthfeel is fizzy, light, yet very interesting.
I give 21st Amendment props for making this beer. It sounds like something that I would try for one of my homebrews. I'm sure they did a much better job than what I would've attempted.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery