Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 686 | Hads: 2,459
3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Much thanks to TomDecapolis for supplying this brew that I've been waiting months to try...
Appears a hazy pale gold with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar.
Smell is of watermelon jolly ranchers, & obvious watermelon water ice jumping out without anything else more that stands out. It may sound appealing from a distance but it's really one dimensional.
The taste is of light sugar, bubblegum, and watermelon rind. I really don't know what else to say about it. It's not really bland...it's just uncomplex.
Mouthfeel is fizzy, light, yet very interesting.
I give 21st Amendment props for making this beer. It sounds like something that I would try for one of my homebrews. I'm sure they did a much better job than what I would've attempted. (777 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: flat looking yellowish orange color with some spots of foam on the surface.

Smell: light watermelon aroma is all that is detectable.

Taste: very mild wheat profile with soft watermelon tones and little to no bitterness. Pretty one dimensional in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body. Mildly crisp throughout and a brief watermelon aftertaste leaves the mouth quickly.

Drinkability: this one did not do it at all for me as I had a hard time finishing the glass. Some props go out for a fruit beer in a can. (523 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

it was also like a watery pale ale with a hint of sweetness behind it, but the sweetness was watermelon. the carbonation was more under control, but the watermelon was a bit too cloyingly sweet unlike similarly disfavored beers like deschutes twilight ale. it's not as drinkable as similar beers just due to the cloying sweetness. (330 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

A- Pale yellow cloudiness, and lackluster head.

S- Slight hints of watermelon and grain.

T- There is watermelon in the taste, so mission accomplished there, but other than that, it is not very remarkable. Some mellow grain, and barely any hops or sweet malt.

M- Finishes somewhat crisp and clean, but is that from good balance or watered down taste?

D- Goes down alright, still, not that great overall. (408 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Poured from the can into a Sam Smith's nonic. Body is murky stra-yellow with a small head that's gone quickly.

S: Some grain, and some sort of fruitiness - I wouldn't say watermelon if I hadn't known there was watermelon in this beer.

T: There's the watermelon. It's not in-your-face, but it's there. It actually kind of works - light taste of watermelon over the wheat twang. Lingering fruitiness though isn't exactly my cup of tea - of course, this from someone who generally doesn't like fruit beers. The more I drink it, the more it tastes like one of those hard watermelon candies.

M: Carbonation feels active, though fine-bubbled, on the front of the mouth and lips. Body is light.

O: Interesting. I bought a single can of this and it will be the last can I buy. Not bad for what it is, but like I said, I'm not a fan of fruit beers in general and I don't really see the gain in putting watermelon in beer. (920 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Poured a VERY cloudy, light cheddar cheese yellow color, with about a 1-2 finger head that quickly retreated into the brew below. The carbonation was very much on the low side. Hmmmm... If I were a betting man and didn't know the style beforehand, I would have said this was a Witbier from the look of it.

S: Sweet watermelon rind for sure, but it also had sort of a high pitched tart and/or aspriny quality to it. It was very organic at first sniff, but then I got a bit of that manufactured "artificial fruit" scent.

T: The carbonation was virtually non-existent, making the fruit juice quality that much more noticable. The wheat hit the palate first, followed by the watermelon and finishing that way as well. The fruit taste on the end was actually kind of refreshing in an odd sort of way.

M: Flat as a pancake! I mean.... wow.... man oh man this stuff needed more bubbles to cut through the sugar! After a few gulps I started to notice a bit of a prickle by the bubbles, but nothing worth noting. No lacing on the glass whatsoever.

D: If I were in the Caribbean and no beer was around except for this and Bud, I'd choose this. Otherwise, I'd definitely skip it. (1,175 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Light yellow. Light foam. Small bubbles, strong lace. Didn't seem like a wheat beer.
S: A slight bit of raisin was all that I could detect.
M: Hollow foam at the back, bitter at the front but no lasting bitter.
T: Watermelon right? Wheat beer right? So there was a bit of watermelon, but weak as well as the wheat profile. Slightly sweet, and almost a hint olive oil. I'd say this was more sour than bitter.

O: An odd concoction that would be refreshing on a hot day. However fans of fruit beers probably wouldn't find watermelon a flavor to love, unless it was more candy like and pronounced. I'd look elsewhere. (620 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -7%

A little less than a finger’s worth of gossamer white bubbles, not quite foam, dissipates to basically nothing across the surface, no lacing either. Hazy deep yellow colored liquid, holds light inside well, few bubbles, loosely aggregated, nothing leaps out at you visually. The nose is soft and gentle, wheat cereal, biscuit and, duh, sweet watermelon scents, you get lemon juice as well, ends with an earthy and herbal muskiness which is actually welcome for how it broadens the texture and creates contrast against the fruit. Medium-bodied with fluffy carbonation, has some residual prickle through the finish. The watermelon flavoring is not excessively strong, kind of floats through the mouth. There’s a metallic undercurrent more than wheat or bread, although there’s an adequate amount of the latter. Sour lemon to orange citrus brings added refreshing qualities. At times you might find a spoonful of molasses. Nothing here really distinguishes it but it’s unflawed, not entirely without appeal. (1,012 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks to sirpyscho for this as an extra in a recent trade.
Poured a cloudy golden color with a small head that faded fairly quickly. Leaving no lacing.
Not getting much on the nose. Just a touch of some wheat maltiness and a light touch of fruity sweetness. Can't really detect any watermelon on the nose at all.
Taste almost like a watermelon jolly rancher. Almost like a wheatbeer winecooler. Not normally what I would drink.
Very carbonated and very refreshing. I may drink a couple of these on a hot july day. Try it if you get a chance but I wouldn't go out of my way to get some. (587 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

The Hell or High Watermelon poured a hazy dark yellow color with a small 1 finger foam head that dissipated quickly and not much in the way of lacing.

The smell was a sour note with the taste hitting you with a good wheat malt background with a really sweet juice of watermelon in your grill. It left a tad bit of bitterness but it could not overpower the watermelon. Overall this might be a good one for the woman but pretty darn plain in my tastes. (452 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -7.6%

A- A nice cloudy yellow color.

S- Watermelon and wheat.

T- Watermelon not sweet like a watermelon should be. Other then that just another wheat beer.

M- Very moist. Can taste the watermelon through out sip.

D- Not impress with this at all. It need to be sweeter and maybe add some other flavors to enhance the watermelon more. (330 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured into a pint glass. What started as a puffy cloud of a head disappeared entirely when I looked away for a moment. No lacing. Grainy, earthy yellow color - unfiltered. Nothing special.

Oh yeah, you can smell watermelon, faintly. Doesn't smell artificial, which is good, however, it's more of the character of watermelon, but lacking the sweetness of it. Hops - hard time detecting. A wheat scent is present but it's undermined by the melon.

You do end up getting a little more of the sweet tang of watermelon in the taste. The quality of the wheat backbone is average. Tiny hint of bitterness. Just about no carbonation.

For a watermelon wheat beer, hardly exceeds expectations. Drink a couple and it won't hurt.

NOTE: tried this again mid-April '13 on tap at the brewpub in San Fran and it was quite different experience - first off, they provide a fat wedge of watermelon with each glass - cheesy, but necessary - the taste has a hell of a lot more watermelon sweetness and fruit flavor - the beer itself sports more of a doughy malt flavor and, with more of a frothy carbonation on the palate, it ends up being quite enjoyable, refreshing and moreish.
A: 4.5, S: 4.25, T: 4.25, M: 4, T: 4.25 (1,203 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: transparent, very light and almost green, lots of carbonation. resembles an energy drink

S: weak but slightly sweet. maybe watermelon? and faint malt.

T: i don't really get the watermelon maybe some rind, some of the bitterness. it's a very mild beer. not very strong flavors. but somehow nice, light and refreshing. as it warms up, the watermelon appears more. slightly sour

M: slightly drying.

O: interesting, I guess fairly good in terms of the flavor but not particularly exciting. (492 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%

Into a tumbler it pours a pale golden orange color. Some feeble foam clings to one side, a loose texture to the bubbles. Visible carbonation, murky clarity.

Smells like any other "wheat beer"... bland and somewhat grainy. Not much discernable watermelon, though there's an indistinct fruity note to it.

Some watermelon flavor, though accompanied by a bland watery character, more like the white rind than the sweet red fruit. Light astringency, the mouthfeel is basically nonexistent. Probably not something i'd revisit personally. Cool new can design though. (562 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%

pours tan hay color. head, retention, lacing is ok.

smells really funky. like epoisses or something. metallic. crayons. hint of watermelon

tastes like a wheat beer with watermelon extract or juice. watermelon is a little artificial. not too overpowering, but not very pleasant

mouthfeel is pretty good. great carbonation. finish typical of light wheat beers.

would not buy again. drain pour in the end (405 characters)

poured into duvel tulip

A: pour sort of scared me, i though i saw green beer, but in glass it looks like a typical wheat ale, half finger white layer of foam. cloudy golden color.
S: a more watermelon rind like aroma, that green rind vegetable smell, also slight sweet malt and yeast. and of coarse wheat.
T: one of the few times im actually kind of scared to take a sip. ok, not that bad beer wise, good wheat and yeast character, slight banana and clove, as well as sweet malt. The but is the watermelon, its defiantly not what i was expecting, tastes a bit too much of the green rind with a candy fake watermelon hiding deep in the back row.
M: overall smooth mild carbonation, slightly coating.
D: i may be slightly off put by flavor of the watermelon, but it is oddly easy to put down. (793 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into tulip. Hazy yellow a tiny little bit pink. Smell is good yeast and wheat and a bit of sour watermelon at the end. The taste is dryish straw like. Good feel. With watermelon rind at the end. I was excited seeing this beer but the watermelon was sour and drying. I'd still buy it again though (302 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.
A - Nothing special A pale straw color with minimal head and no retention.

S - I kind of liked the smell of watermelon, but other than that there is just the slightest hint of wheat.

T - Unspectacular but pleasantly refreshing.

M -Very little. A lot like macro.

O - OK paradoxically, I enjoyed this beer, but not because it resembled anything I would call "craft beer." I would consider this nice and interesting lawnmower beer. Sort of like the pleasure one would get drinking a Pabst or Natty Boh but with watermelon--which ain't a bad thing! (585 characters)

12 oz. can, 2014 edition, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, hazy, golden, yellow/straw color with a quarter of a finger of very white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that only covered maybe a quarter of the top of the beer.

Aroma: Not much in the aroma department, actually, which is both surprising and disappointing. I actually don’t get any aromas what-so-ever.

Taste: However, this beer has a lot of flavor, predominately watermelon. Strong, fruity, crisp, semi-sweet, yet slightly sour flavors of watermelon up front, followed by some honey, slightly toasted wheat and some floral, grassy flavors. But the predominate flavor is watermelon. Actually, the beer’s flavor reminds me a lot of the watermelon-flavored Jolly Rancher® candy.

Mouth feel: Medium-bodied and very crisp as there’s quite a lot of carbonation to this beer. With an ABV of 4.9%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Interesting beer. Lots of watermelon, a little wheat, and a touch of honey. Interesting. I’m not sure if I like it, but I do find in intriguing. (1,125 characters)

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Mildly hazy golden yellow. Not much carbonation at all.

Smell: Light beer aromas and watermelon, though it doesn't seem like syrupy extract, and it probably is.

Taste: Domestic macro grain flavors with a bit of watermelon. Not much else.

Mouthfeel: Lighter-bodied, watery, with mild a carbonation burst near the tail end.

Drinkability: I bought a six-pack for my wife, who's a watermelon fiend, and even though she told me I couldn't have one, I'm having one now. I don't think I'll have another one. I imagine, however, that some folks would dig it, under the right circumstances. (632 characters)

This is the second year I have tried this seasonal release. I did find that for 2015, I got a better batch than in 2014. I don't know if they changed the recipe for 2015, but I found it better this year in 2015. Overall, this style is nice for those extremely hot days of summer. I wasn't blown away by either year though. This is a good beer, just not a great beer in my opinion. I think the hype of this beer overshadows the actual product. It seems that the more unique a beer is brewed the stronger the hype is that comes along with it. Sure it is great to break new ground in the brewing industry, but I often think people get too caught up in the hype of things.

This beer poured a nice hazy straw color with little to no head to it. The smell was of melon and sweet malts. You could actually make out the watermelon odor off the beer this year, which I didn't get last year. The taste for me this year was very clean and refreshing. The watermelon flavor seems to bring a slight hint of sweetness to the light bodied wheat finish. This is an awesome combo for a summer beer. Easy to drink and not too heavy on the stomach. The ABV is 4.9% so you can definitely throw a few of these back. The taste was clean and didn't leave any lingering aftertaste really. I did enjoy this beer much better than last year. Now I am wondering if I had a bad batch or a skunked beer from 2014??? Anyway I am still saying better than average. A good summer beer to try and experience. Pair it with your day at the beach or at your backyard BBQ or tailgate party. (1,574 characters)

Reviewed blind for the Blind Beer BIF #5. Poured into a Baxter can shaped pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy sun yellow (if that makes sense). Massive fizzy white head at first that prevented me from pouring the whole can at once. However, the head was deceiving as it all but disappeared within a minute (3)

S: Odd smelling beer. At first I was guessing lager just based on the malt smell, but that evaded me after a few sniffs. Cheesy bread? Honestly that's the first thing that came to mind. Probably toss in some wheat and apple/pear. Despite the random assortment listed, the beer doesn't smell terrible (3)

T: Also doesn't taste terrible. Straw, yeast, some bready malt and a brief sweetness that I can't quite pin down - apple? toffee? I think I'm ready to guess Blonde Ale... or maybe a pilsner (3)

M: Light to medium bodied. Carbonation is enough to know it's there. There is a slight sweetness that lingers (3)

D: Overall a decent beer. Probably not one I'd drink again but not the killshot I had suspected it might be (3) (1,031 characters)

12oz can into a tall pils glass.

A: Cloudy effervescent straw color with a faint wispy white head.

S: Light wheat beer aromas, yeast, some grassy notes and a touch of fruitiness...no real watermelon aromas.

T: More watermelon here but I'm not partial to it - sorta fake and funky, a bit sour. Musty and grainy as wheat beers go, but watery at the same time.

MF: Lighter body with moderate carbonation.

O: Not real good. I finished the glass but didn't really want to. Don't like the watermelon that is there, and there isn't a lot of it. As far as a wheat beer its light and pilsner-like, grainy and grassy and watery. Just not my favorite but not terrible. (662 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -8.6%

A- 12 oz. can poured into a pint glass. Tried this a while back, from notes: Pours hazy yellow with a finger of fizzy white head. Decent retention but no appreciable amount of lacing.

S- Very bland in the aroma department. Has a light grainy aroma, can't really seem to detect any watermelon in this. Maybe if I try real hard...

T- Hints of watermelon are in the taste but still has a dominant grainy flavor to it. Not really what I was expecting.

M- Light body, very fizzy mouthfeel due to the amount of carbonation.

D- Light enough to consume easily, but the flavor doesn't really do it for me. Glad I go to try it, but definitely wouldn't have it again. (660 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -8.6%

Decent summer beer. Smells like a wheat. Very light but realistic watermelon after taste , not like watermelon candy. Not too wheat yeasty. Light on the tummy so drinking several is easy. Clean beer. (199 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery