Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,067 | Reviews: 630

3.74/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A - Soft golden, yellow with a small white head, especially for a wheat beer. Appears to have a thin body

S - Watermelon jolly rancher, soft wheat, light bubblegum and clove. Smells like what you'd expect for a watermelon wheat beer

T - Light watermelon is the first flavor you get. There are hints of the normal wheat beer as weel as you get hints of clove and bubblegum. Near the finish, there are hints of wheat as well as the watermelon that comes back. I like how they incorporated the watermelon to add flavor but still having the wheat beer behind it.

MF - Lightly carbonated and a bit light and watery on the body. Finish has some light carbonation that comes through. The lack of carbonation makes the body thin overall.

O - I love how they incorporated the watermelon into the beer and it fits perfectly. It is a nice summer, wheat beer. However, I do wish it had a bit more carbonation and body to it which make this one of the better wheat beers out there. Happy to see the experimentation with the new fruit flavors and I think it pays off.

3.74/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cans drank at the beach this past weekend.

Did not pour it out, as I was in the water but apparently it's a hazy orange.

Smells like sweet fruits, but not necessarily watermelon. Some wheat is noticed on the nose too.

The taste is similar. It's a standard crisp American pale wheat, with a crisp finish that is accentuated by a mild but juicy watermelon flavor. It's subtle, and doesn't overwhelm the palate or become cloying. The base wheat beer is slightly bitter, and a little bit yeasty- the sweetness from the watermelon keeps both of those in check. The beer is understandably a little watery.

Light bodied, crisp, refreshing mouthfeel- perfect for the situation. High carbonation.

Overall not too bad- it's not a world beater, though. The watermelon flavor is nice, but the base beer could be a little bit better.

3.74/5  rDev +13.3%

Strange way I got this beer. It was mailed to me from a friend of my daughter from San Francisco to Portland. Anyway this was a nice beer! Could drink tons of it as it is refreshing and tasty. And it does have a hint of watermelon to boot. I liked it and wish more were available up here.

06-22-2010
It's here! New Seasons

3.74/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer gets a lot of flack, but I actually really enjoy it. It tastes a little artificial, but it is actually very refreshing. The watermelon is more pronounced than the wheat, but it goes down pretty well on a hot day. It is refreshing and flavorful and I would (will) be buying it again.

3.73/5  rDev +13%

This beer looks quite plain, almost adjunct lager-y with a flat gold and a touch a haze. There are quite a few bubbles rising out but not making much of a head.

Smells too of cheap beer, but with a sour touch of freshly baked bread or some dinner rolls. There's also a faint lime rind here.

The flavor starts with a touch fruity lemon and lime that picks up a touch of dry wheat reminding me of a hefe, but this one is far dryer. It also picks up that cheap beer flavor, but the fruity notes seem to work quite well with it. I could have quite a few of these. The watermelon is not very overt, but present, much like a jolly rancher, though. I've had this on tap and there's just pure extract emanating from it, but in the can, this is far more understated.

Feels glassy, dense and clean with just a soft scrub of carbonation.

Nice! Nothing fancy here, just an easy drinkin' beer.

3.73/5  rDev +13%

Yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head that stays at about a quarter of an inch.Aroma is faint fruit.Taste is malts,wheat and watermelon.Fresh tasty and refreshing.This is good for summer outings.Overall I would recommend and purchase again!!

3.73/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't think I would have ever decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery