Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

3.74/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A - Soft golden, yellow with a small white head, especially for a wheat beer. Appears to have a thin body

S - Watermelon jolly rancher, soft wheat, light bubblegum and clove. Smells like what you'd expect for a watermelon wheat beer

T - Light watermelon is the first flavor you get. There are hints of the normal wheat beer as weel as you get hints of clove and bubblegum. Near the finish, there are hints of wheat as well as the watermelon that comes back. I like how they incorporated the watermelon to add flavor but still having the wheat beer behind it.

MF - Lightly carbonated and a bit light and watery on the body. Finish has some light carbonation that comes through. The lack of carbonation makes the body thin overall.

O - I love how they incorporated the watermelon into the beer and it fits perfectly. It is a nice summer, wheat beer. However, I do wish it had a bit more carbonation and body to it which make this one of the better wheat beers out there. Happy to see the experimentation with the new fruit flavors and I think it pays off.

3.74/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cans drank at the beach this past weekend.

Did not pour it out, as I was in the water but apparently it's a hazy orange.

Smells like sweet fruits, but not necessarily watermelon. Some wheat is noticed on the nose too.

The taste is similar. It's a standard crisp American pale wheat, with a crisp finish that is accentuated by a mild but juicy watermelon flavor. It's subtle, and doesn't overwhelm the palate or become cloying. The base wheat beer is slightly bitter, and a little bit yeasty- the sweetness from the watermelon keeps both of those in check. The beer is understandably a little watery.

Light bodied, crisp, refreshing mouthfeel- perfect for the situation. High carbonation.

Overall not too bad- it's not a world beater, though. The watermelon flavor is nice, but the base beer could be a little bit better.

3.74/5  rDev +13.7%

Strange way I got this beer. It was mailed to me from a friend of my daughter from San Francisco to Portland. Anyway this was a nice beer! Could drink tons of it as it is refreshing and tasty. And it does have a hint of watermelon to boot. I liked it and wish more were available up here.

06-22-2010
It's here! New Seasons

3.74/5  rDev +13.7%

This beer gets a lot of flack, but I actually really enjoy it. It tastes a little artificial, but it is actually very refreshing. The watermelon is more pronounced than the wheat, but it goes down pretty well on a hot day. It is refreshing and flavorful and I would (will) be buying it again.

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

This beer looks quite plain, almost adjunct lager-y with a flat gold and a touch a haze. There are quite a few bubbles rising out but not making much of a head.

Smells too of cheap beer, but with a sour touch of freshly baked bread or some dinner rolls. There's also a faint lime rind here.

The flavor starts with a touch fruity lemon and lime that picks up a touch of dry wheat reminding me of a hefe, but this one is far dryer. It also picks up that cheap beer flavor, but the fruity notes seem to work quite well with it. I could have quite a few of these. The watermelon is not very overt, but present, much like a jolly rancher, though. I've had this on tap and there's just pure extract emanating from it, but in the can, this is far more understated.

Feels glassy, dense and clean with just a soft scrub of carbonation.

Nice! Nothing fancy here, just an easy drinkin' beer.

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head that stays at about a quarter of an inch.Aroma is faint fruit.Taste is malts,wheat and watermelon.Fresh tasty and refreshing.This is good for summer outings.Overall I would recommend and purchase again!!

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't think I would have ever decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try.

3.72/5  rDev +13.1%

new entry in our market here in the Northeast so i'd give it a shot

can says to agitate before opening since there is yeast in the can...a couple of quick shakes before opening produced a billowing head that i had to let settle before pouring the remainder of the can in my pint glass...once settled the head was no where to be seen...bright yellow....minimal carbonation

strong scent of watermelon upon bringing up to my nose....some hints of wheat here and there but watermelon is dominant

watermelon flavor coats the mouth after each sip....strong but not cloying....good balance with the wheat flavor

a little thin, but i think this along with the watermelon flavor make it more drinkable...not much in the way of carbonation

i'm drinking this on a cool rainy night, but this would be a nice deck/beach/boat beer on a summer afternoon...might also be a nice gateway beer for the ladies out there that don't like the taste of beer

3.72/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Normally, I stay away from fruit flavored beers because they often come across tasting like candy or are just too sweet for my liking. But not with Hell or High Watermelon. You get a hint of the watermelon and it doesn't over power other parts of the beer. It's actually one of my go to beers to bring to summertime BBQ's at the neighborhood pool. It's very refreshing to drink on a hot summer's day.

3.72/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer pours a slightly hazy yellow with a pillowy white head and no lacing. The aroma is of watermelon with cake and mild sweet malt. The flavor is watermelon throughout with lemon, cake, and wheat malt notes. There is a good balance between the watermelon and the rest in both the aroma and on the palate. It's mouthfeel is light. 21st Amendment Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is a good beer, a good example of the style, and refreshing. Recommended.

3.72/5  rDev +13.1%

12 ounce can poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden orange color with an initial fluffy white head. The dissipation was rather quick but it did retain a thin foam cap and ring. Lacing is on the weak side.

S: Grain, lemon zest, a bit musky with an overall citrus forward nose. It's nothing overpowering at all but nothing is off putting. I wish there were more aromas of watermelon coming through in the nose but I couldn't find anything of the sort.

T: Wheat, watermelon comes through quite nicely on the first sip and it does taste quite natural which I wasn't expecting. It's not overly sweet or artificial tasting by any means, which I enjoy. Subsequent sips do lose the watermelon flavor but it retains a bit of itself as your palate adjusts. Some bready malt notes come out in the finish as does just a hint of tartness from the fruit flavors. A lot better than I expected.

M: Very bubbly, well-carbonated, honestly this is how I like wheat-esque beers to be. Again, nicely done.

This beer is a unique take on a wheat-centric beer by adding watermelon, something of which I've never seen done before. And it works quite well. Nothing seems overpowering but the aromas could use some work, as could the flavor profile in the taste. I'd like to see the watermelon stay relevant throughout, but a nice base for a flavored wheat beer.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Even though the only other fruit flavored beer I've ever had was Shipyard's blueberry, by nature, I'm not a big fan of fruit flavored beer.

That being said, I was very surprised with this 21st Amendment beer. The watermelon is very poignant and almost tastes like Gatorade. I drank five of these without even thinking about it. Great summer beer.

3.72/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours pale gold in color with a big white head. Smells of typical wheat beer aromas with a little soapiness and some watermelon. Flavor is light and crisp with apparent, but not overwhelming watermelon notes. I like this, it's unique but well executed. Good summer brew.

3.72/5  rDev +13.1%

Numbeercruncher was kind enough to send this beer my way. Thanks, Matt!

Pours a dull, golden brown. Hazy with a 1 inch white head that evaporates in about 2 minutes.

Smells of wheat, yeasts, some funk and a lingering sweetness of watermelon.

Much like the nose. Light to medium bodied with medium overall flavor. The puckering watermelon flavor is very faint in this one. Wheat, yeasts and higher carbonation.

This one would probably be better fresh and in the summer!

3.71/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nothing tastes more like summer than the unofficial fruit of watermelon. And when trying to use that refreshing taste to create an unofficial beer of summer the concern is whether the delicate and crisp taste could stand up- even to a light American Wheat Beer.

But as the beer pours, there's little evidence of the fruit inside. The hazy straw ale is nicely golden at its depths. A certain tilt of the glass can show a pinkish stain, but maybe that's also my mind playing tricks on me. Its foamy head rises with a character that's partly frothy and partly sprite. With retention and lacing both moderate, I get the impression that its head character would underwhelm if I allowed the session to last very long.

There it is! Not just watermelon, but all sorts of melon with strawberry and cantaloupe. And with supporting aromatics of bread and pulled candy- the scent hinges on hard candy flavor with those fruity scents front and center. Not all fruit, the beer's mild citrus and leafy aromas cast a hoppy note on the senses going into taste.

Its flavors start earthy and sweet as the wheat of the beer is mildly grainy-sweet and filled with shortbread. The melon flavors start moderate and continue to build, each sip more heightened than the other with a taste that hinges of the dripping ripeness of watermelon and that of candy. Yet its herbal, leafy and mildly grassy finish returns to hops as the ale crispens right up.

Light bodied from sip 'til finish, the ale is somewhat watery, but perhaps by design. Its creamy-dry upstart quickly sheds its carbonation to usher in a grainy and wafer-thin finish to prop up the taste. Its finish is herbal and grassy with minty warmth.

Akin to Abita's Strawberry Harvest, the ale underneath the fruit offers tepid support and the fruit, though truly seductive seems a bit contrived. If the balance is off, then it is beautifully off. I have a soft spot on my palate for these types of beer.

3.71/5  rDev +12.8%