Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
koopa

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Can purchased at Oaktree Buyrite in South Plainfield NJ.

Appearance: Very pale cloudy blonde body with a 1 finger bright white crown that shows some retention and lots of lacing.

Smell: Flat. Pale malt with a touch of watermelon.

Taste: Same as smell only watermelon flavor comes out more.

Mouthfeel: Thin for the most part but not bad for the style.

Drinkability: Flavor is what holds this one back.

Should have worked better....

08-09-2009 21:23:50 | More by koopa
BWED

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

12 oz. can poured into a pils glass.

A- Slightly hazy, pale yellow, with a dissipating half finger white head. Some carbonation bubbles up to the surface.

S- Some pale malt shying behind a sweet and tart fruit nose.

T- Very mild malt, with a bit of hop zest. Watermelon tartness comes out too. Good summer taste.

M- Light, crisp, tart, and good clean finish. Low ABV makes them sessionable chuggers.

O- Decent unique beer. It's more of a novelty than anything, but I imagine grabbing this in the case of dying of thirst. Pretty quenching, and I can't say that about many beers.

06-04-2013 16:13:10 | More by BWED
scootny

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Cloudy pale gold fluid with a white head that fades quickly leaving no real lace. Smell is wheaty with good amounts of twang and yeast fruitiness. A dry crisp cereal graininess. Flavor is just short of the next score for me. Full bodied wheat core with a perfect amount of watermelon. Juicy body and a dry tart finish that makes it a superb quencher. Finish has a bit of rind and artful hop balance that is mild yet firm. This beer is actually a delicately complex brew. Crisp feel is gently carbonated lending to a great drinkability and refreshing character. One of my new summer favorites and a good choice for the adventurous and open palate.

08-09-2012 01:11:02 | More by scootny
garcia2a

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

The beer poured a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. I poured too fast, so I ended up with a tall head that dissipated rather quickly.

The nose is quite pleasant. Light, sweet grains with just a touch of yeast, citrus and candy. This did not really prepare me for the taste. I got the grains on the front of the mouth, but ended up with this jolly rancher back of the mouth taste and aftertaste. After a few sips, I could only discen the candy.

Even with that the mouthfeel is pretty good, the beer didn't cloy, but due to an anamnestic response to jolly rogers, I had this wierd "sticky" sensation.

If you like watermelon and jolly ranchers, this may be a beer for you. I could though give this one more try on a really hot day.

10-08-2009 18:53:46 | More by garcia2a
cjoc83

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours from a 12oz can into a pint glass a hazy light straw color with a fingers worth of white head that dissipates quickly.

Nose is some sweet watermelon and grainy wheat.

Taste actually gets the watermelon aspect pretty spot on. Not too syrupy-sweet and fake-tasting like some fruit beers. The watermelon mixes with some standard wheat and a little sweet malt.

Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly refreshing. A great session beer.

Fruit beers can be really hit and miss, but this one works for me. The watermelon is subtle but tasty, nice grainy wheat and sweet malt, and crisp. My local bottle shop (Brew in south Philly) has six-packs of this for $12, and I'll definitely be picking up at least a few more this summer.

06-24-2011 05:51:48 | More by cjoc83
tpd975

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

This is one I have been wanting to try. Thanks to BrewerB for sending it my way.

A: Pours a cloudy murky light straw color with a big tall rocky head. The retention is great and nice big sheets of lace run all the way down the glass.

S: Very faint in the aroma. Not a touch of watermelon was detected. What I could pick out were hints of sourness, some wheat, and a hint of sweet fruit.

T: Nice and wheaty up front. A watermelon blast appears and then quickly goes away. It finishes a bit sour with a slight metallic tinge.

M: Light in body with good carbonation.

D: Easy drinking.... Just wish the watermelon lingered a bit longer.

07-27-2008 16:08:04 | More by tpd975
Bendurgin

Maine

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured this from a can into a pint glass. Kinda of a hazy light yellow. There was a big fluffy white head but it really didn't last long. Gone by the time I finished typing my first sentence. No real lacing. Lots of tiny bubbles floating to the top. I hope this was a good choice to pair with my pizza. I smell wheat and grains but not much watermelon. I really expected more watermelon. None the less, it doesn't smell bad. This beer is pretty two dimensional. Wheat and watermelon. Bubbalicious gum. I feel like I chewed this in little league. Decent mouth feel, the carbonation is great and the watermelon flavor is novel, glad I picked this up. Easy to kill beer, probably great for a hot day. Glad to pair it with my pizza.

06-24-2010 23:38:02 | More by Bendurgin
ZAP

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

I've been wanting to try this for awhile now. It is certainly unique. The watermelon is evident on the aroma and is more of a fresh fruit smell rather than an artificial jolly rancher smell. That is good. There is also a a sweet white cake batter like aroma as well. And the more I smell this the cake batter aroma seems to gain strength....

Has a mild watermelon flavor on the taste....refreshing but different...not artificial as I feared it would be, but more of a freshly cut watermelon flavor...get a little bit of the cake batter on the taste too on the finish.

Light side of medium bodied...cloudy golden color....drinks nice but I don't think I could handle more than a couple at a time. A nice niche wheat.

12-09-2009 05:55:11 | More by ZAP
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

A bit darker colour than what I would typically call "golden straw". Not much of a head; a bit of patchy white frost. Average at best.

Mildly fruity, though not necessarily watermelon. Perhaps a little light maltiness, but again, average at best.

Watermelon very much present in the flavour almost flirting with being artificial like a piece of watermelon candy, but not quite. Finished with a pleasant, dry biscuity malt. Much better than I was anticipating, I must admit.

Mouthfeel was light and well carbonated. I could see where this could be quite sessionable for some, and where I *did* enjoy trying this, I feel I would tire of the watermelon flavour after a pint or two. It's not bad, it's just not a flavour I associate with beer. Peculiar, for sure.

08-17-2010 23:31:16 | More by SilentSabre
kirkmichel

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Not going to do a full review on this right now, but I think this is pretty decent; not very complex in the initial taste, but the watermelon is very well done. Since I'm in the middle of a snowstorm in February, I think it will be better if I re-review this beer in the warmer months, and when i'm not in the midst of a beer tasting marathon!

But if you like fruited beers, you'll enjoy this - just don't expect tremendous complexity.

...
After a summer of drinking this periodically, my review:

Appearance -- Pours a clear pale gold, with a minimal white head. Surprised that it doesn't have more umph in the carbonation since it is canned, but I'm not exactly sure why I expected that.

Smell - Toasty malt, wheat, very slight sweet watermelon, and a bit of hops. It really doesn't smell much like I was expecting - more like malt than fruit or fresh wheat, but still like good beer!

Taste - This tastes like a wheat beer, but the aftertaste is a bit like that weird taste cereal leaves in your mouth. I'm not sure what the correct descriptor is for that. The malt seems more prominent than in most good wheat beers, but it's still well balanced, and it has a nice tinge of jolly rancher watermelon. What is lacking is complexity - probably needs more fruit and some other flavors/spices added to round it out. In other words, I love the idea of this beer, so I'm hoping they experiment with the formula a little bit more for next summer.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light body with low carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm still a fan of this for hot outdoor events during the summer - it sure beats a miller light! Heavy enough to feel like you're actually drinking something, but light enough that you could have a few because it's easy on the palate. A great summer beer.

02-15-2010 23:05:28 | More by kirkmichel
generallee

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%

Presentation: It was served on tap and poured into a pint glass. The beer menu listed the abv at 4.9%.

Appearance: The body has a hazy straw yellow color with light foamy head on top. It’s head fizzled out quickly.

Smell: The aroma is fairly light overall. It brings some light wheat malt and white bready maltiness to the nose. It also has nice natural watermelon notes as well as and mild mineral like character.

Taste / Palate: It’s lightly bodied and like it’s aroma it has light pale bready and wheat maltiness with a light sweetness and an equally balanced watermelon flavor. Again like it’s aroma it also has a slight mineral flavor note and just a very light herbal hop bitterness in the finish. Notes: This is definitely a hot summer day or lawn mower beer. It’s thin and light making it easy drinking and interesting. It like that the watermelon taste is natural and some candy like flavoring added to a light wheat beer.

07-05-2014 06:52:26 | More by generallee
socon67

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Cloudy light golden pour with a high white foam head. Soapy lacing on the glass.

S - Has a strong wheat aroma, and certainly a faint smell of watermelon rind. slightly too candy like (think Jolly Rancher) but better than others I can recall.

T - Typical witbier profile more than what one would consider a fruit beer. Light grains give a nice base to a beer that is refreshing. Finish hits the mouth with sweetness of watermelon that is pleasant although maybe a bit too sweet.

M - Has a wheat germ grottiness to it. Leaves a sweet finish that would make it not sessionable to me, but likely for others. Clean beer.

O - Not bad and a good summer beer. I just don't see this being anything special.

07-02-2013 02:48:51 | More by socon67
Billolick

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ounce can..."Yeast inside-agitate before opening" nice to see towards the top of the can. Pours cloucy lemony and still, w/o bubbles rising to the top. Quickly departing head and leaves no lace. I believe I do get a slight wiff of watermelon rind on the nose. Light and fruity, some might say watery even...Perhaps a hint of watermelon on the tongue...Lawn mower/very hot day beer...

07-10-2009 00:42:42 | More by Billolick
Mora2000

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

The beer pours a hazy light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is mainly wheat but I also get a nice bit of light watermelon. The flavor is wheat, juicy watermelon and a light bit of tartness. Light to medium mouthfeel and medium mouthfeel. A nicely done fruit beer that doesn't taste artificial or overpower you with sweetness.

07-23-2011 03:54:50 | More by Mora2000
tdm168

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A - copper with a reddish tinge; thick, white head; good retention

S - grains, wheat, grass, faint watermelon

T - light watermelon, grains, wheat, grass

M - light bodied, smooth, little carbonation

This is a light, easy drinking beer. It's not very sweet and the watermelon doesn't really shine through. It's drinkability though makes it a refreshing summer beer.

05-27-2012 15:56:59 | More by tdm168
Redrover

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I was told that the Watermelon wheat is their most popular beer. Served in a hefe glass. The beer is a hazy dark straw color with a bone white head and awesome lacing.

The nose is of watermelon and wheat malts. Could be turned up a notch, but you know what your getting.

The beer leads with a bit of watermelon; some grains a hint of spice. It has a big watermelon finish.

The mouth is nicely slick. Nice hot weather beer, another killer crossover beer from this brewery.

05-21-2008 19:00:23 | More by Redrover
suspect

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: Mostly clear pale golden color. Mildly aggressive pour leads to a fizzy one finger head that disappears almost immediately. No lacing to speak of.

S: Not a lot going on in the nose. Some grain, some sweet malts and perhaps a touch of fruit but overall, no real hop notes to speak of.

T: Wow, the watermelon really shines through in the flavor. It really tastes like beer perfectly infused with the perfect amount of watermelon. Some sweetness from the grain but man, the watermelon is really wonderful. Sweet, then perfectly tart.

M: A touch thin, good carbonation.

O: A really interesting beer. I wasn't overly impressed but man, the watermelon really is something. Overall, a pretty good beer but I think I could only really have one or two.

05-19-2012 02:21:06 | More by suspect
jss38

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I typically drink this guy right out of the can but have poured once or twice.

A: "Thin" looking. Clear, looks like a light beer almost.

S: Wheat, malt, mainly fruit. Generally weak

T: First time I had this I was surprised. The wheat sticks out, but its a little tangy, the watermelon backs it up. Post swallow is pleasant and where the watermelon taste kicks in. Its like drinking a sparkling waterman juice. I describe as watermelon cocktail wrapped around domestic lager.

M: Not fantastic, but different. Light and sweet.

D: I have picked up a 6-pack on a few occasions. First, its normally cheap (yay cans) and second, I love watermelon. I imagine if you're not a fan you won't dig it. Something I bring to a party if I have a few extra bucks but not in the regular rotation.

10-09-2010 08:06:28 | More by jss38
pburland23

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into my Harpoon IPA glass.

Beer pours a rather bland, hazy golden color (looks like a BMC) with a very thin and quickly fading layer of bright, white head.

Smell starts of like a pretty basic wheat based beer. At the tail end of the whiff, there is a faint hint of watermelon. Taste is similar. The beginning of the draw tastes like a pretty standard light summery beer. But towards the end of the sip, here comes the watermelon. It really seems to come up out of nowhere and adds a really fresh, fruity and refreshing dimension to the beer.

Mouthfeel is light and incredibly refreshing. I think the drinkability is very high. This is a very, light easy drinking beer. Would be great poolside or with the lawnmower. I like it.

09-04-2011 20:27:02 | More by pburland23
Gobzilla

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A: poured a murky straw yellow in color with yellow highlights and a thin head leaving a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: definitely was able to sniff out some watermelon notes with lots of sweetness I'm guessing is from the grains and wheat but slight citrus notes.

T: the watermelon character pretty much dominated the palate as well with juice like qualities but with more sweetness from the grains and wheat. Kind of reminded me of the watermelon bubblicious bubble gum.

M: the brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a watermelon fruity, sweet, grainy, mild citrusy finish.

D: overall it did drink real easy, not overly sweet and could really enjoy some of these on a hot summer day poolside. It was a decent fruit style beer.

08-01-2011 18:22:11 | More by Gobzilla
RedChrome

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Clear bright yellow colored liquid. A half an inch of white head topped this for a minute before fading. Almost no carbonation rising bubbles to note.

Watermelon is definitely the strongest aroma in the beer. A hint of wheat hit the nose first before being overpowered by the fruit. No hint of hops in the scent.

Watermelon is quite strong on the tongue. Wheat is also very prominent. A very faint bitterness and a plastic aftertaste finish up each sip.

Decent thickness, and a slight carbonation tingle. The off tastes cling without leaving watermelon flavors.

An OK brew. Works by itself on a hot summer day. A good beer to quench your thirst. Worthy a try for fruit lovers, and getting easier to find.

05-27-2009 06:44:36 | More by RedChrome
ClockworkOrange

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for throwing a can of this my way. Poured into my Chimay chalice a cloudy yellow color with about a finger of white head that quickly fades into a thin layer. Smells of crisp wheat and watermelon candy. Upon my first sip, yeah there's watermelon in here. Having a hard time figuring out whether watermelon extract or watermelon puree/pulp is used is this brew. Not sure you'd get this type of Jolly Rancher flavor from real watermelon pulp. Regardless, this tastes just as the label states which to me, is a good thing since I am a fan of watermelon. Mouthfeel is slightly lacking with bothe body and carbonation coming in a notch below medium. If this was more accessible, I'd have it on hand all the time from spring till fall.

01-13-2009 04:47:18 | More by ClockworkOrange
sophisticated

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I garnished this with a watermelon slice. This was my 4th of July beer of choice. I had never heard of 21st Amendment Brewery before; this was my first beer from them.

A) straw-colored, in between yellow and amber. Thin white head disappeared quickly, no lacing.

S) mild - wheat, lemon, watermelon

T) Like it smelled, but stronger on the watermelon. But not overpowering.

MF) Fairly crisp, a little thin feeling

D) Very high. Pleasant taste, low-ish (average) ABV, refreshing. Easy to down several of these in a sitting.

Overall, kind of boring but a good summer session beer.

07-05-2009 16:23:48 | More by sophisticated
corey0212

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Got this interesting brew from raiser in the New Trader BIF Redux!

Pours a nice cloudy lemon yellow color, decent sized white head fades somewhat quickly, leaves a handful of small patches of lace on the glass. Lots of wheat in the nose, some lemon, but really no trace of watermelon at all....until the first taste. Wow! That's some serious watermelon taste, sort of like a watermelon Jolly Rancher, tart citrus, slight grainy taste. Crisp and refreshing, slightly drying/puckering sweetness. Certainly something different for me, and while it's not something I'd want to drink all the time, I can see this being a good time at a summer BBQ.

09-14-2008 20:37:18 | More by corey0212
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

12oz can $1.99 Hazy yellow color, looks murky with a pillowtop head. Smells faintly of watermelon and wheat. The flavor was heavy watermelon juice, so much so that it almost felt artificially flavored but I liked it anyway. For me this would be a good hot weather beer but not a session beer since I wouldn't want more than one.

07-30-2011 13:24:24 | More by ArrogantB