Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 685 | Hads: 2,451
2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Macado's Halloween 2009 shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy goldenrod color with a small, foamy white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of watermelon (obviously). The smell of watermelon masks much of whatever else might be there. There are some yeasty/wheaty hints but they are barely noticeable through the watermelon.

Taste: Kind of light on flavor. Starts off tasting like watermelon sparkling water. Finishes with hints of yeast and wheat (like your typical wheat beer) but that is effectively masked by a sickly sweet watermelon aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Watery and a little flat. Could do with more carbonation.

Drinkability: Meh...This is a pretty bland beer. It's light on flavor and what flavor there is is almost exclusively an artificial watermelon taste. On the plus side, it is exceedingly drinkable and pretty refreshing. Take it or leave it... (951 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -21.4%

A cellar temperature can is poured into a pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy and has the color of tarnished gold. A few fingers worth of off-white foam rises out of the liquid, but it doesn't stay for long. Already the bubbles that make it up are popping. Eventually, all that is left is a skim of foam. No lacing is left behind. Lots of carbonation bubbles are rising within the glass.

The beer has a sweet wheat aroma. I can smell watermelon, but I'm not sure I would have been able to identify the scent if I didn't know this beer had the fruit in it.

This is a sweet, fruity beer. Some aspects of its wheat base are apparent, especially as I swallow. Mostly I taste sweet watermelon flavors, like a piece of candy. There may be a hint of bitterness as soon as I taste the beer, but if it is there, it is gone quickly.

For a summer beer, this one sits heavy in my mouth. A lot of foamy carbonation is present, and the coating is thick and sticky.

Overall, this isn't a beer I'd go back to. I prefer a lighter wheat beer for a summer seasonal, and I'm not a fan of watermelon the fruit, so watermelon the beer probably isn't for me either. Still, its an interesting and commendable experiment. (1,205 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a slightly hazy bright golden yellow with maple undertones. For some reason I expected a bright red brew....

The smell is fairly faint, what I pick up most is melon rind. This beer smells like something that you rarely get whiffs of, real watermelon. This smells like natural watermelon, not that fake jolly rancher type watermelon flavor we've been trained to associate with this big green melon. All that said, coupled with the wheaty alcohol notes the watermelon comes off strange.

The taste mirrors the smell very well. The base beer is pretty flavorless as far as I can tell. The watermelon is the star here, but that's about it. This beer is simply watermelon beer, subdued bitter flavors of chewing melon rind. You can make this at home by drinking any wheat beer from a watermelon.

Mouthfeel is light, airy and watery. Carbonation is on the low end and the finish is somewhat dry.

Overall, I am not a big fan here. Muted flavors make this beer come off a bit gimmicky. I'm sure there are tons of people that like this beer just fine, but I think that one is going to be plenty enough for me. (1,110 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce can - $5.25 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a hazed, light yellow body with a small, quickly evaporating, white head.

Smell: Huh. No more than a very nominal wheat character and the purported fruit addition provides for a mere hint of greenish, vegetal tones. You could've said it was zucchinis and I would've gone along with it.

Taste: Lightly sweet, minor taste of wheat malt. Faintly grainy. Near nil bitterness throughout. Thin trace of watermelon husks which holds until the flat, yawnworthy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Sorry, but this one just didn't do it for me. It's difficult for me to be particularly interested in a bland wheat ale with a boring watermelon character. Bummer. (768 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -22.6%

Got this can a year (or two) ago from a friend. Just haven't had the urge to drink watermelon beer...but today was the day.

Pours piss yellow. A 1 finger white head forms and dissipates quickly leaving a collar. Small amounts of carbonation rising. Tons of floaters suspended in the beer...I'm hoping this was intentional. Very off-putting.

Aroma is of light malts, yeast, and a light watermelon sweetness.

Taste has more watermelon sweetness than the aroma, but not overpowering. Yeast and light malts.

Mouthfeel is rather light and lifeless.

Overall, it is drinkable on a hot summer day. But, one was plenty. Can't imagine drinking more. (647 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -22.6%

Was actually looking forward to trying it. Kept hearing this was their cool, go to beer... No way. Watermelon rind with domestic lager finish. Grab a Brew Free or Black in Black, those are solid beers. (201 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Light brown, tan color. Scents of dry grass, hay that is slightly fermented. No real watermelon flavor to speech of. The wheat flavor was more like dry toast. No balance of malts or of hops. Watery mouthfeel. Very little drinkable nature. (275 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -22.9%

We just had 21st amendment brewery become available here in Georgia; I really liked their IPA and figured I would give this one a try it being summer. Pours a watery yellow with very little yeast though the can was agitated per instructions. White head disappears almost immediately. Smell is rather sour and has hints of not so fresh vegetable matter. Taste is pretty much the same. I hope this is a bad batch because this, to me, is undrinkable. (447 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from the can into a wheat ale glass.

A real nice decent looker on the pour. Big perfectly pinhead forming head, bleach white, four fingers tall with soapy retention and falling slowly. Body color is a very pale yellow and orb glowing with a classic opaque unfiltered appearance. Nice simple rising carbonation, very solid looking brew.

Faint wet watermellon on the nose, but some off smelling character to match. Not much wheat malt sense or chewyness. Off smelling character is semi vegetative but more of a bitter bile sense which isn't very pleasant.

Palate is very thin. Watery body, with hardly any wheat malt density. Crazy and weird odd finish, with some malt sweetness but a real off pleasant rind fruit bitterness to match. Wet body has some watermellon taste and sweetness, but is quickly overshadowed by a lackluster mouthfeel. The aftertaste leave and unbelievably bitter melon quality which just doesn't go away.

Overall not really diggin this, just all around a not pleasant experience. (1,011 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A: straw, cloudy. no head

S: grainy but mellow. very very faint of melon

T: grainy, again and faint melon. not the biggest fan

M: best attribute, tingly, welcoming (168 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -24.5%

Grabbed a can (for ticking purposes) while on a roadtrip to Minnesota...

Served in a tulip.

Smells and looks more like a Saison... A tart, lemony, hazy, orange-tinted yellow in color...

The smell is tart lemons and odd spices... Hard to pinpoint-- perhaps it's just spicy notes from the yeast and wheat.

The taste actually pulls off watermelon! Very very watermelon. A hint of watermelon bubbalicious gum... Quite interesting.

A small head fizzled quickly to nothingness and left no lacing.

As it warms, the smell becomes more of a fruit juice blend-- ruby red grapefruit/watermelon... Hmmmm.

The taste is better than the smell, but neither are great.

The body needs more carbonation. It comes off as too thick and oily.

Overall, this was a fun one to try, a fun one to tick, but not one I ever want again. (816 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The appearance isn't bad - pale cloudy straw color, 2 fingers of lacing which dies pretty quickly; But I am getting about as much taste as a Miller Lite, maybe with a slight watermelon fruit essence and slight melon odor. Highly carbonated. Was worth one try to satisfy my curiosity, but will never get again. (309 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a can into a snifter. Gentle pour led to about 2 fingers of a thin white head that quickly disappeared. Smells like canned corn. Tasted like canned corn with a slight jolly rancher watermelon finish. The longer it sat the more it smelled and tasted like watermelon but I ended up drain pouring half of this mess.
This beer was gross. (346 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -25.7%

Interesting beer. I can't say I'd ever think of combining watermelon with beer (nor do I really enjoy fruity beers), but I was looking forward to trying this one when some friends brought it over. It had a decent aroma.. definitely wheat with juicy watermelon undertones. The taste was like a hefe that had a dissolved watermelon jolly rancher in it! Kind of odd, but drinkable none-the-less. I can't say I'd look forward to having this beer again, but I woudn't turn it down if it were offered to me either. (508 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -26%

A watermelon beer? This would be a new style for me. The can says watermelon juice is added. Hmm.

A - Poured a light golden color. Looks like a typical wheat beer to me with a little foam on the head.

S - Definitely fruity with some wheat.

T - This just does not do it for me. The watermelon is overdone and leaves this not really tasting like beer. Perhaps part of the problem was drinking this beer on a cold winter night when it might hit the spot on a summer picnic. Maybe I would try it again in those circumstances.

M/D - A little sticky and light carbonation on the tongue. Sweet. I wouldn't really want more than one of these despite the low ABV. (658 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -26%

Pours a clean yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, faint wheat note and a small fruitiness. In the taste, well, it tastes like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. A small dry, smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry watermelon Jolly Rancher aftertaste. It kind of reminds me of a average wheat beer and dropping a couple watermelon Jolly Ranchers in there, and then drinking it. (391 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -26.3%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. It poured a pale golden color with a thin head that disappeared pretty quickly.

The watermelon is immediately noticeable in it along with some citrus and wheat malts. I also unfortunately get an unpleasant metallic flavor to it.

The taste also shows a lot of the watermelon flavor along with some rind and vegetable like qualities. A little wheat and citrus are there but the watermelon is overwhelming and just not that good.

The mouthfeel is thin with moderate carbonation. Overall, I just didn't care for it. The watermelon was too dominating and just not that great. It seemed to have more of a bitter rind, vegetable like quality to it that I didn't care for. A little metallic as well. Not something I'd want to try again. (768 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -26.6%

This is the first Watermelon beer I've ever had. The color was hazy and yellow the aroma was sweet and had the natural aroma of the watermelon. The flavor was a little of te light side. It wasn't that bad but I think that if a watermelon wedge was added to this while drinking that it would amp this brew up and make it a lot better. (333 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a light, cloudy, golden yellow(looks like pineapple juice). Small white head fades quickly, no lacing.

Smells of biscuits and watermelon.

Taste like someone put a watermelon jolly rancher in a glass of lite beer.

Feels like soda water in the mouth.

The drinkability is zero for me. I haven't poured a beer in awhile but this one is going down the drain. (364 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into a wheat beer glass.

Pours a golden color. Decent two fingered head.

Very clear, not like traditional wheat beers- must be filtered.

I personally did not like the taste. I agree with another review that it had an artificial watermelon taste, but at the same time, I could see how some might like the flavor. It could be refreshing, but it just did not suit my palate for wheat beers.

Give it a try if you're looking for a fruit beer that is not overwhelmingly fruity. (482 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.8%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me. (1,082 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.8%

Appearance: The pour is hazy gold with a large foamy white head that soon settles down as a thin layer with a smidgen of lacing.

Smell: The nose has pungent watermelon that straddles the line between fresh and fake/sugarfied in front of wheat aromas.

Taste: Good news: The watermelon is still on the right side of fresh/artificial Mendoza Line in the flavor profile. There's just a hint of Jolly Rancher. It doesn't seem like it would be an offensive flavor at all if it were by itself. Same goes for the wheat beer component. It's tastes like a nice, fundamentally sound, refreshing wheat beer. Bad news: The combination of the watermelon and wheat is nearly disgusting.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied without feeling watery with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I put a bottle of Irony Pinot Noir back once I saw the six pack of Watermelon Wheat. Now I have 5 cans to serve to friends or suffer through. I wonder how the pinot tastes... (941 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.8%

Cloudy pale yellow with a clean and foamy white head. The head disappears quickly and leaves no lacing.

Wheaty with a semi-rotten vegetable smell. Like a bowl of overripe garden veggies that have been sitting together for a week. Kind of scared to try it.

Not real good. Getting the watermelon which comes in the form of a watermelon jolly rancher. The wheat is there too and the combination is very vegetable like again. It really tastes like a cheaply made wheat beer with a watermelon jolly rancher dropped in it. This blend is not working.

Kind of flat and underwhelming.

I'm probably going to have to drain pour the rest of this. Kudos to these guys for trying something unique, but it just simply doesn't come out very well. It's worth trying to see what it's like, but do what I did, only buy a single. (813 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

12 oz can poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
straw-yellow with 1 finger of fluffy white head. Moderate carbonation with a slight haze.

Nose
Wheat, spent grains, butter, and a slight whiff of watermelon.

Taste
Big on wheatiness with a light lemony twang. Spent grains along with a terrible butter flavor that I usually find in Blue Moon. Slight essence of watermelon that comes off quite artificial.

Mouthfeel
Medium-light bodied, crisp, and clean.

Overall
A boring wheat beer with buttery off-flavors. (509 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -29.7%

12 oz can poured into pint glass. thanks to mrmiles for this during the nice cans II BIF

Pours a clear pale yellow with a thin head which quickly fizzles out. No retention or lacing.

Very unusual nose with some fruity wheat and almost an earthy vegetable smell. Kind of like a garden salad maybe?

Light wheat and barley up front, which quickly crashes into an odd avalanche of watermelon and other fruit/vegetable flavors. There's a definite sweetness, but I kept feeling like I was almost drinking some sort of salad. Finishes crisp with a bit of lingering juicy watermelon flavor.

Light body, some lingering dryness on the tongue. I guess this would be smooth drinking, but the taste is pretty confusing and unattractive for me. (736 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery