Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

tommyguz, May 07, 2013

northstar23, May 18, 2014

Paccamacca, Jun 13, 2013

cjgiant, Jun 20, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Cloudy pale straw colour with a small head. No lacing and poor head retention.

Fresh and fruity watermelon aroma with a touch of sweetness. Almost a touch sugary.

Light wheat flavour with a hit of watermelon. Good balance.

Light body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

A decent fruit beer but nothing worth writing home about. Worth trying once and I hear it's better on tap than in the can.

dgilks, Aug 24, 2011

kingjohnh, Jun 30, 2014

Panda12, Jun 26, 2014

mcphish22, Aug 27, 2014
3.49/5  rDev +6.1%

Interesting taste but not enough so to buy again. The smell is about average not very intriguing. The taste is beerish with a nice blend of watermelon fruit lasting in the end - almost like a light beer with a watermelon jolly rancher mixed in. 143 Calories per can with 4.9% ABV.

json83, Jul 10, 2013
3.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz canned on 3/11/2013. Served in a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow color with a little over a finger of a white soapy head. Body is hazy with some visible sediment floating in the glass.

Smell: Wheat, melon, some yeast spiciness, hint of wet grain and yeast spiciness.

Taste: Same as the nose, only slightly more assertive. Melon and melon rind are the most notable, followed by wheat and yeast spice. Not complex, but what's there is pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, crisp and refreshing. Medium carbonation.

Overall: In a world full of mediocre fruited summer wheat beers, I feel like this does at least stand out a bit from the crowd (if for no other reason than the use of watermelon). I thought the melon worked well with the wheat beer base. Not excellent by any means, but if I'm looking for something refreshing on a hot day, I'd definitely get this again.

Jonada, May 04, 2013
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A pretty solid summer brew that it seems is becoming a love-it or hate-it beer around most parts. I get the complaints that it doesn't taste like real watermelon, but what really does? Hell, watermelon tastes like pure sugar sometimes depending on the quality of it.

Either way, this is an extremely sessionable beer that is light, smooth, and good for the summer. I can't imagine drinking this at any other time than on a hot day (and it's really, really, really good for working on cars in a hot driveway), so I should limit my review to that, I guess.

EIther way, I like it quite a bit in the summer but would never want to drink it at any other time.

jonrx, Sep 22, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer pours a clear, light golden wellow color with a thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has an odd aroma, to say the least. I can smell some watermelon. It has a very dominate grainy aroma however. It also has a very subtle spicy aroma. Not what I was expecting, and a little less than I would desire.

This beer tastes better than it smells, but only a little. Grainy. Very grainy. Some subtle watermelon flavor mixes in. That is about it. Not bad, but although I cant really put it into words, its not wat I was expecting.

This beer is high in carbonation. It is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grainy watermelon aftertaste.

I dont knwo about the drinkability of this one. It is low enough in alcohol to make putting down a few easy, but I didnt like the taste, so I couldnt see myself drinking too many.

Overall: I am happy to have finally had the chance to try this one. Every time I stop by the brewery, they are out, so having my wife find it was a real treat. Although it wasnt what I was expecting, I have no regrets about it. Nice try 21st Amendment.

OStrungT, Oct 23, 2008