Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from 12oz can into Corsendonk tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy honey color with a large white head that dissipates quickly and only leaves hints of lace.

Smell: Smells like a watermelon jolly rancher, with hints of malt and yeast.

Taste: Tastes like a typical bitter wheat beer, with watermelon in the background throughout.

Mouthfeel: Watery and smooth, with balanced carbonation. Very refreshing.

Drinkability: A unique twist on wheat beer. Certainly not the best out there, but worth a look.

Mosstrooper, Mar 03, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a hazy light yellow color, very pale. Forms a nice 3 finger white head that recedes after about 5 minutes leaving a thin foam cap on top of the beer. Lacing is average.

Smell is malts, bread, light citrus/lemon, light sweet fruits, mainly watermelon and coconut.

Taste begins with malt, bread and wheat and progresses to some sweet watermelon notes that are very mild but persist up until the end of the sip and aftertaste. Also there is a discrete aromatic/spicy hop presence contributing to light bitterness towards the finish.

Very light in body and easy to drink. High carbonation jacks up the drinkability. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery as both the malts and watermelon are very subdued.

Not a very flavorful beer at all but it sure is highly drinkable and refreshing. It is definitely worth trying but that's about it.

paulozanello, Feb 20, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

A trip to San Francisco was a trip to 21st Amendment. It came with a wedge of watermelon with the glass. No longer are lemons and oranges used as a garnishment. The pour was a pretty hazy with a lemony yellow color. When arrived there was a nice but light frothy head but it did quickly hide to the edge of the glass and disappear altogether.

The nose was light and mostly consistent of a wheat beer. Some lighter notes of a melon-esk substance, but not sure if I would say it would be specific to watermelon.

The taste is similar with a very subtle American wheat beer flavor. Some lighter malt hints are there if you really look for them. Some graininess flavors and in the aftertaste the watermelon makes it’s presence detectable, but is slight.

The body is light but the watermelon aftertaste (more of a hint) leaves a slight sweeter flavor. But not a malty sweet more of a fruity sugar sweet. Carbonation felt low but an interesting wheat fruit experiment.

Oxymoron, May 29, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

12 oz can served in a Sam Adams pint glass. Purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ.

A: Cloudy light golden/straw body. Tall fluffy white head settled fairly quickly into thin film.

S: Smells like other wheat beers I've had. Assorted grains with hints of lemon. Watermelon is also faintly present.

T: A somewhat sweet and fruity, but not overbearing, start. Watermelon is again present. Finishes a bit tart.

M: Light to Medium bodied. A bit crisp.

D: Refreshing on a hot summer day. It's a decent beer, but not overly impressive. Low alcohol and light body increase its drinkability.

Jerzdevil1116, Jul 03, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

You guys are tripping... My girlfriend talked me into buying this beer. I went into it with very low expectations...but I was very impressed. I find it to be very tasty for a light beer. I can see myself drinking many off these at a tailgate party or something like that. For not being my style in beer, this was pretty good.

DovaliHops, Feb 24, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Almost how I remember it at the brewpub. Unimpressive American Wheat (hey, I appreciate the style for what it is but it isn't that impressive a style) which ends with a nice watermelon taste. And that finish really works for this beer.

There was a slight sourness to this beer. Not sure if that was intentional.

I think the watermelon gives this beer a slightly darker shade than most wheat beers.

GeoffFromSJ, Aug 05, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

From the can, pours a pale yellow gold with slight haziness. The head fades to almost nothing, which is unimpressive, especially for a wheat beer. Aroma is acidic and slightly fruity with notes of lemon and green apple. Only because I am looking for it do I sense watermelon, but it smells like the combination of unsweet rind and watermelon candy. Fortunately, the flavor is more pleasant, more closely resembling the real fruit. It never strays too far from jolly rancher territory, but it's light and dry. A bit of a novelty, but it's certainly a creative effort with decent results. It's no problem at all drinking this one, so I wouldn't steer anyone away from trying this. I'm not sure that I would buy this again myself, but I was happy to finally get this one.

qchic, Sep 08, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

I was not expecting much from a wheat beer with watermelon, but saw single cans for sale so I figured I'd try it and I was pleasantly surprised.

Hazy orangish straw yellow, it has a medium off-white head, steadily shrinking to a wispy top and no real lace.

The aroma is the weakest aspect and is a bit unpleasant. It smells of apples, flour and a hint of bread dough - definitely a wheat ale quality but different, hint of pine sap, and a hint of watermelon, mostly an old, turned unpleasant watermelon quality. It's not dreadful, but it's not good, either.

The taste, though, is actually pretty good as well as being interesting and unusual and it somewhat grew on me. It's odd and different, but pleasant, with a definite watermelon element (a bit like watermelon candy without the sweetness), a general wheat-ale quality of grain, dough, and dryish fruit, as well as cucumber, and light juiciness with a finish of wheat and cooked beans. It's dryish, not really sweet or bitter.

Offa, Dec 17, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Hazy golden straw color. Half a thumb of head with little to no lacing. The head fizzles down very quickly.
S: Slight watermelon tint with a light wheat aroma. Almost off putting.
T: My first sip was quite the surprise. It grew on me quick. A wheat flavor first hits the tongue ,but it is eventually overtaken by an artificial tart watermelon flavor.
M: At first it is a pleasant amount of carbonation to compliment the drink. As it sits it very quickly goes flat. Clean light watermelon finish.
Overall: I came to enjoy this beer. Don't plan to cuddle with it as it will go flat quick. This would be a nice beer to have on a summer day. A little pat on the back. Worth a try if you like lighter beer.

JeleReviews, Apr 19, 2012
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

I poured into a pint glass to one finger of head that was gone before I could discern what color it was. White if I recall correctly. The beer is pale yellow in color. The aroma is sweet and bready with a hint of watermelon. The taste is your basic wheat beer with some watermelon flavor. The flavor reminds me mostly of watermelon rind. It is crisp with a clean finish. it was worth a try and is quite refreshing after working outside 10+ hours in the mid 90's.

buschbeer, Jul 07, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours yellow and hazy,with a thick white head that falls away into a thin head of small white bubbles. It left some lacing on the glass. Mouthfeel is a little undercarbonated for the style.

Aroma is dead on for a Watermelon Jolly Rancher; no hop aroma detected. Pretty simple.

Taste is also pretty straight-forward; its clean, finishes nicely. Its medium body is a bit much for the style (wish it was a little lighter), grainy in the back, some sweetness with the watermelon flavor overpowering the other malts and any hops. Its about what you'd expect a watermelon wheat to taste like. The drinkability will vary by how much you like watermelon/fruit beers; for me I could do 3 max and then be burnt out but as I said some could do many many more, some 1 and done.

claspada, Aug 27, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light, pale and wheat malt scent along with a strange breadiness and a weak watermelon aroma. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pale and wheat malt flavor with a mild watermelon character. It's got a weird taste to it, but I guess it's the fruit. I'm not used to watermelon flavored beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an above average beer, but nothing I would buy again.

WesWes, Dec 22, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Typically with fruit beers you'll get something overly sweet to the point that it just tastes fake. Especially with Watermelon beers, they often just taste like drinking a Jolly Rancher. Surprisingly, that was the not the case here, and while there was a ton of watermelon flavor, it really wasn't that overly sweet syrup flavor. Pretty good I'd say, not something I'd get all the time, but I did enjoy it.

Kranders, Nov 19, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

Fizzy head over hazy orange body that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Smells of watermelon (both real and artificial), captain crunch with crunch berries, granola, pear, and a little lemony-thyme bitterness.

Nose confirms taste.

Mouthfeels is good, maybe a little heavy for a summer lawnmower beer.

This is so much better than last year's can that I had. The cooked vegetable isn't even a memory. I would like this to have a little more interesting hop profile - just a bit of nobles, maybe. But for what it is I'm very impressed.

Mcculler, Jul 27, 2012
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

I had this beer on-tap at the 21st Amendment brewery in San Francisco. I had it during the summer and it was a good summer beer. It was highly drinkable-very light and crisp. There was a strong aroma of watermelon and it was served which a watermelon wedge on the side of the pint glass.

Chincino, Nov 10, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

A: A very pale yellow appearance. This is beer is very clear with plenty of effervescence. There is a big, white, fluffy head (due to an aggressive pour) that quickly fades down to about an eight of an inch and leaves some decent lacing throughout the glass, though that disappears in a couple of minutes.

S: The aromas are simple with scents of watermelon jolly ranchers with a little bit of wheat.

T: This beer is refreshing and tasty. I just mowed the lawn, and this is a good beer to pair with summer yard work. The watermelon taste is very present, which I like. I get a bit frustrated when I get a fruit beer and the fruit is so subtle it's hardly detectable. This beer is exactly what it says on the can, and I can respect that. That being said, I'm just not sure that I dig watermelons in my beer.

M: The feel is a bit thin, and has a slight burn in the back (possibly from the fruit?). I would prefer a little more wheat malt backbone and a slightly thicker feel, though I realize this is a low abv summer beer.

D: A good summer beer. One is plenty for me, as I would grow tired of any watermelon beer fairly quickly. Give it a try.

Huhzubendah, Jul 15, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A: Light in color with a lot of bubbles. Very little head and no lacing.

S: Not a big nose, the watermelon is there, but faintly and not a lot else.

T: The watermelon is apparent on the front, but fades relatively fast. As the beer warms the watermelon flavor last a little bit longer. I wish it was a little bit stronger overall. The wheat flavor is pretty obvious here too.

M/D: Easy to drink, and would probably be better on a hot day outside. I could see myself bringing it to a BBQ or dinner, but I probably wouldn't drink more than one, and would give the rest out.

mdaschaf, Jun 03, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured aggressively to wake up all the watermelon aroma possible. Head is big and very soapy, and retains for a good while. Color is a cloudy light rust color, with tiny colonies of lace dotting the sides of the glass.

Watermelon is faint in the aroma, smelling a bit sour and sort of like overboiled vegetable matter. The wheat is the most dominant and appealing part of the aroma, with mild nutty yeast in the background.

Flavor is more authentically watermelon than the aroma, riding along nicely with the wheat. Both elements are balanced well, but it's a very simple partnership, as nothing else springs up from the flavors, except for a lemon-y tartness in the distance. Sour finish isn't welcome.

Feels a bit under-carbonated for the style and particular flavors. Kind of thin and watery.

I was anxious to try this after having read a lot of hype in some of the west coast beer newspapers. Glad I got the chance, but I'm not at all envious that we can't find it in this part of the country. It's merely okay.

[Thanks to melbatoast93 for bringing back a few of these from his latest west coast jaunt.]

Metalmonk, Mar 13, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz can into a pint glass. Special thanks go to thequeue for this back in the Secret Santa '08 BIF.

Pours a clear gold with several fingers of rigid brite-white head. Retains with a thin layer of foam that skims the surface, leaving spotty lacing back that sticks. The aroma is light bread and floral tones with a definite fruity sweetness to it but I'm not readily picking it out as watermelon though.

The taste is pale malts balanced my some light hop activity. Watermelon is much more evident in the taste. The taste isn't overdone but does come off as a bit artificial. The mouthfeel, as you would expect, is light bodied with a soft carbonation and all around easy feel.

There was anything actively bad about this but IMO, watermelon just doesn't cut it as a fruit in my beer. It always comes out tasting like someone threw a watermelon Jolly Rancher into a light-bodied Pale Ale. Just not my cup-of-tea.

Kegatron, Mar 12, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

A) Pours with a thin head. Lacing is thin and partially sticky. Hazy. Gold in color.
S) Citrus. Wheaty. Not very aromatic. Weak notes of watermelon.
T) Subtle watermelon mixed with light caramel notes. A slight hop bite. Grainy in the finish and beyond mixed with mellow watermelon.
M) Crisp. Light bodied. Mildly grainy and dry.
D) Nice summer day beer. Would've liked to taste more watermelon.

u2carew, Oct 13, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured this 12 oz. can into a Sam Adams glass. No date, but a code on the bottom. The body was a pale yellow with some haziness. Spritzy head sizzled out quickly. No lacing remained.

Smell was watermelon rind and lightly malty grain.

Taste was watermelon punch. Refreshing and not too sweet. Watermelon flavor was not cloying and it still tasted like "a beer". Very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel was zesty with a medium to light body.

Cresant, Aug 07, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Cool extra from a great trade with googzoid10 - thanks Greg! 12 oz. from a can into a Victory Weiss glass...

Pours a decent straw wheat color with 1/2 finger head that goes pretty quickly. Lacing is present and not too bad.

There's a big raw malt/wheat aroma and sweetness from watermelon meat. There is a tannic quality to the watermelon that gives it a little tinniness.

Interesting - watermelon feels good on the palate and I can taste the husky nature of the watermelon "fibers" regardless of whether it's extract or puree. That metallic tinge is there but gets a bit better with warmth.

Palate feel is affected by the watermelon tannins - very husky with a tight finish.

Label says "agitate before opening" - not sure how much of an effect there is here. The watermelon taste is rather natural, there's raw malt and at the pool this thing would fit in quite well.

IBUnit63, Feb 23, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz can purchased as a 6-pack from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into a Sam Adams glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head over the cloudy blonde brew. Head falls promptly, with average lacing. Aroma is earthy and lightly citric, no watermelon I can sense. Taste starts tart and lightly sweet, finally find some watermelon in the middle, and then get back to a wheat close. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, and drinkability is better than average as well. Not sure the wheat and watermelon work that great together, but maybe as a thirst-quencher. We'll see what happens...

ppoitras, Jun 05, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Can poured into plastic glass

Big two finger white frothy cap quickly settles down to a white layer. Active carbonation in a golden yellow liquid.

Aroma of straw, spices, citrus and watermelon

Sweet Watermelon on the front of the tongue. Hefewiesse on the middle , lemony and yeast. Tastes like the label on the can reads, wheat beer with watermelon.

Very light mouthfeel, no carbonation.

Refreshing, good for a hot summer day after cutting the lawn.

WunderLlama, Jul 23, 2014
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: hazy light golden color with very little head. Not bad, but not very exciting.

Smell: a little sweet and just a tiny hint of watermelon. There's also a little sourness, but really, the aroma is too low-volume to appreciate much.

Taste: much more watermeloney than the aroma. There is a touch of citrusy wheat flavor in the malt and the watermelon is thankfully nice and understated. It's not my favorite beer in the world, but it is pretty interesting.

Mouthfeel: medium, medium-light body with an OK level of carbonation. It's alright.

Drinkability: pretty refreshing and moderately drinkable. It's not fantastic, but would do in a pinch on a hot day.

flagmantho, Feb 20, 2010