Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks Nick of ThreeWiseMen for letting me try this. I'm pretty much expecting this to be a novelty.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color with a good amount of head and lacing. About what I would expect from a wheat beer.

Smell: It's hard to say if I like the smell or hate it. There's definitely wheat and yeast in there, but after that the smell is just strange. The watermelon smell is not very pleasant. It kind of smells like watermelon that has been sitting in the sun for a few days. But I guess that should be expected - it's fermented watermelon!

Taste: Almost seems like they were trying too hard to make it known that "hey! we put watermelon in our beer!" The watermelon is definitely the dominant taste with wheat making a cameo appearance and everything else is really toned down. That being said, I don't think the taste is horrible. It's just... interesting.

Mouthfeel: Grainy, watery, medium carbonation. I could see how this might be refreshing on a hot day. But it's the middle of winter.

Drinkability: I could see how this would be a good beer to just knock back. Especially in a social situation with people who just like easy to drink beers. It was actually much better than I thought it would be.

lynx1245, Dec 11, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -45.3%

Reviewed by Wiseman Nick and Wiseman Pete.

Appearance: Pours a thin, clear, straw-yellow with very loose, white head. Pretty crappy retention with sticky-ish lacing.

Smell: Smells like watermelon Coors Light. Sorry 21st Ammendment: We're not digging this.

Taste: Strong, tart watermelon (similar to a Jolly Rancher) out front with grainy malts in the middle and more sugary watermelon in the finish. Tastes a lot like a watermelon soda.

Mouthfeel: A very light body with pretty high carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Flavor leaves the palate very quickly. Feels like a watermelon soda.

Drinkability: What a great gateway beer for kids! Tastes like Jones Watermelon Soda with a hint of malt. I really wonder about a lot of these Fruit / Vegetable 'Beers'.

ThreeWiseMen, Dec 09, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +17%

12oz can from numbeercruncher.... a complete unexpected extra.. Thanks a bunch Matt.

It's been a loonng week at work.. and I want something not too complex.. more refreshing.. Let's hope the Watermelon Wheat Works. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

1" head.. minimal lacing... descent cap though.. brew is glowing straw gold when held to a light...

There is definitely some watermelon in there.. sorta funky.. not in a bad way.. just not great.. some spiciness... the fruitiness reminds me of when you get to close to the rind when eating watermelon..

3/3.5/4/4/4
The flavor has a much bigger watermelon essence.. much better than the nose.. the aroma sorta smells too "rotting watermelon".. the palate is a nice burst of watermelon "jolly rancher".. that is waaaay too much of an overstatement.. but the fruit essence is there and somehow still makes me think of fresh fruit.. it's not sweet... in fact.. the finish is fairly dry with an unexpected melon finale. sorta grainy throughout.. but that lends to the bigger picture and lingering fruity finish.. really pretty good.. I like it... That said, I can't imagine ever wanting more than one in a sitting... or probably even a week. If I had this available, i would certainly give it in a nice glass to my non beer drinking friends and say, "Come on.. this is good... I know you like it... just admit it"... Lite body and good carbonation would make this a very nice lawn mowing brew...

Numbeercruncher is certainly one of the most generous traders I've ever had the opportunity of doing business with... Matt... thanks again...

JohnGalt1, Dec 05, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +14%

Numbeercruncher was kind enough to send this beer my way. Thanks, Matt!

Pours a dull, golden brown. Hazy with a 1 inch white head that evaporates in about 2 minutes.

Smells of wheat, yeasts, some funk and a lingering sweetness of watermelon.

Much like the nose. Light to medium bodied with medium overall flavor. The puckering watermelon flavor is very faint in this one. Wheat, yeasts and higher carbonation.

This one would probably be better fresh and in the summer!

beachbum1975, Nov 15, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

I give them cedit with coming up with a unique, off-beat flavor combination. That doesn't mean I found it to be a particularly tasty or refreshing combination. Pours a bit of a hazy yellow, with maybe an inch of foam. Slight watermelon aroma. The flavor is tart watermelon grafted onto an ordinary tasting wheat beer. It comes across as just odd. Can't see it really pairing with food very well, and not really refreshing. Sort of interesting to taste once but not something I plan to have more of.

RunDWP, Nov 13, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -42.9%

Got this from a friend taking part in a beer of the month club.

Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

The appearance on this is very nice. Poures a very hazy, not at all tansparent golden yellow.
2 finger fluffy white head that receeds leaving a very thin oil on water like retention film.
Lace is thin and spotty.

Aroma on this at first was nice and grainy with a carmel like smell, shifting to a fruity sour cherry aroma. As it warmed the aroma turned south to a smelly rotten flesh, or rotting cheese. I'm almost afraid to try it.

Flavors are odd, in a bad way. I get some mild sweetness up front with the watermelon flavor.
Mouthfeel is thin, its like drinking Miller Lite with a rotten flavor and terrible aftertaste.

DO NOT WANT.

Buebie, Nov 09, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark gold with a thin white head that fizzes away quickly. No lacing at all. Aroma is an explosion of diacetyl. Huge butter note with a wisp of watermelon. Almost intolerable. Flavor is better in that the watermelon and wheat flavors come through, but there's still a lot of that gross mealy butterscotch. Mouthfeel is a little sticky for what ought to be a refreshing summer beer. Drinkability is not good because of how easy it is to get sick of this diacetyl bomb. This beer needs a reformulation.

illidurit, Nov 08, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Just received this brew in a recent trade with tpd975. This will be my first brew from 21st Amendment brewery and I look forward to it. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a hazy straw colored yellow with a nice creamy one finger head that slowly dissipates leaving a spotty cap and thin collar with a small amount of lacing.
Smell- A very very slight tinge of watermelon is definitely detectable but it's not the first thing you smell. Slightly lemony with a spicy tart twang below the breadiness of the wheat is detected. Definitely doesn't deliver the big watermelon punch I was hoping for.
Taste- Well it certainly does taste a bit like watermelon which is nice, but it leaves quickly. Like the smell there is a quenching tartness of watermelon from the start before a lightly astringent wheat kicks in. Doughy and raw the base wheat beer component is average at best. A citric kick finishes with a weird lingering dryness.
Mouthfeel- Fairly thin and watery with not a whole lot of carbonation and a very dry, quenching finish.
Drinkability- Overall I'm fairly impressed about how much they do get the watermelon to come through. It's a fairly subtle fruit and I can only imagine how many hundreds of pounds they have to use per batch. My problem with this beer is the astringent twang that seems to have nothing to do with the watermelon. I think it's just the base wheat beer they use. Either way, definitely worth a try. Big thanks again to Greg!!

younger35, Nov 06, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

12oz can shared courtesy of TomDecapolis.

Poured a medium and lightly hazy golden color with an averaged white head. Aromas of watermelon & watermelon rind. The aroma was nice (just like having a watermelon in front of you). Tastes of watermelons, grainy, and wheat.

Notes from and tasted on 1/5/07.

hopdog, Nov 04, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Pours a dirty pale lemon color with a very modest head; not much in the way of retention or lace

Smell: Oddly enough, I pick up a bit of spice cake with a chocolate dusting; the watermelon is present, but hidden beneath the other aromas

Taste: The watermelon comes through much more so upon the taste, with hints of the chocolate powder and spice cake being much less pronounced than in the aroma; after the swallow, the flavor fades but the hints of watermelon reappear at the very end

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: The beer grew on me; I like that it is not sweet and has some underlying complexity; I doubt I would seek it out very often but kudos to the brewer for developing a signature recipe

Thanks, hoppymeal, for the opportunity

brentk56, Oct 24, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer pours a clear, light golden wellow color with a thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has an odd aroma, to say the least. I can smell some watermelon. It has a very dominate grainy aroma however. It also has a very subtle spicy aroma. Not what I was expecting, and a little less than I would desire.

This beer tastes better than it smells, but only a little. Grainy. Very grainy. Some subtle watermelon flavor mixes in. That is about it. Not bad, but although I cant really put it into words, its not wat I was expecting.

This beer is high in carbonation. It is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grainy watermelon aftertaste.

I dont knwo about the drinkability of this one. It is low enough in alcohol to make putting down a few easy, but I didnt like the taste, so I couldnt see myself drinking too many.

Overall: I am happy to have finally had the chance to try this one. Every time I stop by the brewery, they are out, so having my wife find it was a real treat. Although it wasnt what I was expecting, I have no regrets about it. Nice try 21st Amendment.

OStrungT, Oct 23, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk for this one.

Poured a 12oz can into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a hazy straw with a 1 finger head that disappeared within seconds and left no lacing at all. The aroma reminds me of a whole grain bagel with some sort of berry cream cheese. Good for breakfast not for beer. The taste is just flat out strange. The flavor is very grainy. It really reminds me of a Everything Bagel form Einstein Bagels mixed with a glass of water that had a Watermelon Jolly Rancher dropped in. Good for Zima, not some much for beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. I'm sorry, but I think I would choose a glass of water over another one of these brews.

hwwty4, Oct 21, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

I received a can of this thanks to kplynch and RblWthACoz. I couldn't wait to try this oddball beer, I poured it in my hoegaarden glass and the smell hit me pretty hard, I think you could smell the watermelon on the other side of the room. The taste of it surprised me, I did not get the jolly rancher flavor, it's more like a watermelon rind taste to me. Goes down really smooth, not something I would drink a whole lot of but I can imagine this would be good on a really hot day. It is rather tart and refreshing.

yesferro, Oct 06, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this one from kplynch, thanks man!

12 oz. can poured into the special Sam Adams glass. I was at the brewpub a little over a year ago and they were serving this with a wedge of watermelon which I thought was pretty cool.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a generous two finger white head that slowly falls to a layer of foam. A fair amount of webbing sticks on the sides of the glass but disapears shortly after. Smell starts spicy and a touch sweet from the wet watermelon. A musty wheat aroma with a disturbing dish soap scent that I can't get past as well. Taste is a slight improvement from the nose. Sweet watermelon up front with lemon and zesty wheat. Some pale malts and an interesting zucchini flavor that I could do without. Crisp and refreshing light body with an aggressive carbonation sting. A bit sweet at times, but I could drink this on a hot summer day. Glad I had the chance to give this can a whirl, but I don't see myself looking for this again anytime soon.

BeerTruth, Oct 05, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks to torchednoodle for this extra.

12oz. can poured into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a lemon pulp yellow with light hazing. 1 finger worth of white head forms with decent retention. Not much lacing.

S: Juicy watermelon and tart smelling wheat struggle for power. Plenty of sweetness from the watermelon.

T/M: Pretty tart. Decent watermelon taste with lots of tartness and bitterness along with the same from the wheat. A strong drying effect as well. Carbonation is quite high with a medium light body.

D: Very unique but not executed extremely well. Drinkable but one is enough for me.

pwoods, Oct 03, 2008
1.05/5  rDev -68.1%

Pale yellow. Aroma is an awful combination of sweetness mixed with pickled rind and layered with sweaty rotten wheat. Bad combination. Bad idea. This beer fails as a fruit beer and as a wheat beer. The taste was an unpleasant gag fest sour something with a hint of wheat. An after taste lingers long after the beer was poured out. I wanted to cry.

LittleBreeze, Sep 30, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Hazy golden yellow in color with an average foamy white head. Head has poor retention but leaves decent lacing.

S - Very grainy wheat aroma with light hints of watermelon. More just a generic sweet smell to the beer.

T - An artificial watermelon sweetness up front with a husky wheatness backing it up. Almost taste like somebody dropped a watermelon Jolly Rancher into an above average American wheat ale. The sweetness is a little too strong but this is still a nice kick back an relax type of wheat.

M/D - Medium bodied with a grainy chewiness to it. Sweetness is a little too artificial for my liking but it does have a simple refreshing characteristic to it.

ckeegan04, Sep 26, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Strange way I got this beer. It was mailed to me from a friend of my daughter from San Francisco to Portland. Anyway this was a nice beer! Could drink tons of it as it is refreshing and tasty. And it does have a hint of watermelon to boot. I liked it and wish more were available up here.

06-22-2010
It's here! New Seasons

tompearson, Sep 15, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Got this interesting brew from raiser in the New Trader BIF Redux!

Pours a nice cloudy lemon yellow color, decent sized white head fades somewhat quickly, leaves a handful of small patches of lace on the glass. Lots of wheat in the nose, some lemon, but really no trace of watermelon at all....until the first taste. Wow! That's some serious watermelon taste, sort of like a watermelon Jolly Rancher, tart citrus, slight grainy taste. Crisp and refreshing, slightly drying/puckering sweetness. Certainly something different for me, and while it's not something I'd want to drink all the time, I can see this being a good time at a summer BBQ.

corey0212, Sep 14, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +30.7%

i was skeptical about the can...turned out to be pretty good...

poured a mildly hazy gold color.
the head was fluffy and stayed throughout.
scent of grain and watermelon and fruit
taste is the same, much more pronounced, some light strawberry flavor also. very nice.
solid wheat beer mouthfeel.
very drinkable. i put back 5 cans and didn't flinch.

GoreStorm, Sep 14, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

Pours out of than can cloudy with a rocky white head. some cloves, spice, and watermelon rind? No hop bitterness, of course, but there is that watermelon rind again. Slightly tangy finish. Can't say I get any watermelon sweetness-but there is a citrus flavor. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Could drink this all day.

bradybeer, Sep 14, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Trying to put personal biases aside here. Not my favorite kind of beer. Refreshing but unremarkable.

Well crafted for the beer type, but watermelon is wimpy and subtle and I think all the aromatics went away before it got close to the can. Maybe I can taste a bit of watermelon in there but can't be sure. I can taste the wheat.

The light tartness is thirst quenching. Have no idea where that 5.2% ABV is hiding because it tastes like 2%

My wife laughed at me for drinking it.

filmlabrat, Sep 03, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

An elusive beer just arrived locally.

Cloudy amber colored beer with a tall white head.

Smell is wheat and citrus with a faint vegetable funk that smells more like pumpkin than anything else.

Taste starts out neutral with a fairly strong watermelon caramel flavor. Something like a wheat beer in a glass that got some Midori dropped in it. Tastes sort of like old candy.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Blech! IPA Please! NOT the tastiest beer this brewer makes. Worth a shot to taste the hype.

Zorro, Sep 03, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a clear pale yellow with a nice white head that diminishes very fast. Nose is pale malt and some slight wheat. Taste follows with slight wheat flavor, and a decent dose of watermelon. It's like candy watermelon though, not real watermelon. The WM flavor is there, but the wheat beer is missing. Mouthfeel is too thin. Drinkability is pretty good. Overall an interesting concoction, but probably one I won't visit again. Their IPA is great, but this one just slightly misses the mark for me.

AKBelgianBeast, Sep 02, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

I have heard of this mythical beer. I even travelled to the brewery to try some. It was before baseball even started, so no luck. So I finally encountered some just in time for Labor Day.

A- Poured right from the can into my pint glass. A hazy light yellow tan with barely a head to even mention. Looks like a headless hef.

S- Sweet maltiness with a touch a sour fruit. Actually green applely to me. Not much there besides that. I probably would not guess watermelon as the fruit o smell.

T- Definetly get the sweet malts, and the distinct tanginess with what must be the watermelon. It has a citrus character to it. Like a hef with a lemon in it. Then, the more I taste it, the more I recognize the watermelon, and the more I like it.

M- This is an easy drinking beer. Medium bodied with nice carbonation in there that complements the citrus I taste.

D- I feel good about drinking this beer because it is my first experience with any watermelon beer, I love summer, I love drinking beer in the summer, and this beer is refreshing. Definetly not on my session list, but I like it.

m1ked, Sep 02, 2008