Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 686 | Hads: 2,457
2.21/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured from 12oz can into DFH pint glass. No canning date is present on the packaging. It is a seasonal release, so I am assuming it isn't that old. **Preface: Not my favorite style. Purchased for wife who likes wheats.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color. Pretty much no head at all. Carbonation is not great. Some lacing.

S: Mostly yeasty. Strange smells. When I really got in there I got some fruit (melon) smells but not as overpowering as I was expecting.

T: The flavor of this is strange. Really different. I get the watermelon but it's just kind of off putting actually. I really didn't like this at all and almost drain-poured the last 1/4 of it.

M: Very watery (thank god actually). Nothing that lingers with you.

O: I like 21st Amendment and most of their offerings, just not into this one. I bought a 6-pack and THANK GOD the wife likes it....she'll be drinking the rest of it alone! (892 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can.

Ultimately, somewhat depressing. I had one of these last weekend and knew I didn't like it then, but decided to hold off until I had a second one at a later date. Does not smell particularly appetizing.

While there are certainly some mild watermelon notes in there that become even more prominent in aftertaste, there's also a not-entirely-horrible-but-not-altogether-pleasant-either mild tartness and tang and wheaty goodness, and some hint of cucumber. Starts to taste better once it's been out of the fridge a few minutes, but the smell still kills it a bit.

Ultimately when I think about it, I've never had a watermelon wheat before, but this is is probably _exactly what a watermelon wheat beer should taste like_. But when there's so many other outstanding beers out there, this is really a novelty.

It's gonna be tough to polish off the other 4 cans left in my fridge. (899 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -31.5%

Served in a can from Brick Store Pub, Atlanta, GA

A: Pale orange with no head. Seemed to look like a flat watermelon soda than a beer.

S: Hardly watermelon or even beer. If something can smell sour, this did.

T: Like watermelon juice and carbonated water. No malts or hops.

M: Dry and uninteresting. The watermelon taste had to grow on me. Maybe there was some wheat flavor but once this was in my mouth, I didn't care to think about favors anymore, just to get rid of it as soon as possible.

D: I'm wondering if this was on the shelf too long or something because I had abad experience with this brew. I would have assumed this to be a lot lower rated on here than it is. I would not find this drinkable in a beer situation at all. (737 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark gold with a thin white head that fizzes away quickly. No lacing at all. Aroma is an explosion of diacetyl. Huge butter note with a wisp of watermelon. Almost intolerable. Flavor is better in that the watermelon and wheat flavors come through, but there's still a lot of that gross mealy butterscotch. Mouthfeel is a little sticky for what ought to be a refreshing summer beer. Drinkability is not good because of how easy it is to get sick of this diacetyl bomb. This beer needs a reformulation. (513 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

Meh. I was not too impressed with this offering. It does taste slightly like watermelon, but more like the white part of the rind than the red watermelon-y part. I give them kudos for the idea, but its really quite a watery, thin, boring beverage. (251 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -30.9%

Had this on tap whilst visiting the area.

It looks like a hefeweizen, cloudy golden in color with a frothy white head. Leaves a small lacing though.

The scent surprisingly does not contain a whole lot of watermelon. It's an off putting scent that does not exactly encourage you to drink it. Mostly malty aroma with the very subtle hint of watermelon

Taste wise, wow. Not good at all. I was very much looking to try this and was quite disappointed. It tasted malty and very vegetable in its taste. Rather than tasting the sweet juicy part of the watermelon your subjected to tasting the inner lighter in color near the rind part.

All that being said it felt quite nice on the palate with good levels of carbonation.

Not drinkable at all due to the fact that the it's not a good tasting brew. (797 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -30.9%

Purchased as a single from Whole Foods in Shortpump - Glen Allen, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a yellowy straw color, decent head.. but mostly unattractive. Smells kind of pissy in a way and there is a faint scent of watermelon seeds.. not so much watermelon but like when you accidentally chew on a seed. Tastes kind of pissy and watery in a way. Again the watermelon flavor is just not there at all other than a faint after though of a seed. Feels okay as far as body goes but the pissy watermelon seed garbage is kind of in the way.

Overall I would advise against this beer. I would love to try some of this brewery's other offerings as I have heard some good things. Hopefully this wont affect my perception of their other brews. (740 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from the can

A - Slightly hazy yellow with an inch or so of pretty vigorous head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass. No lacing, carbonation not very visible.

S - All around pretty light in the nose; I pick up some sugary sweetness and some yeasty aroma and that's about it.

T&M - Very sweet and sugary; there is certainly watermelon flavors, but unfortunately it tastes like artificial watermelon to me; it reminds me of a watermelon flavored gum I used to buy as a kid. Carbonation is very light. The mouthfeel is soft and fluffy, but there is something going on here that coats my mouth and is not pleasant.

D - I suppose I see a market for this, but this isn't for me. The watermelon is artificial tasting, and I find the sweetness slightly cloying. I'm not even going to finish what I poured; the wife is going to have to take one for the team. (878 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -30.3%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk for this one.

Poured a 12oz can into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a hazy straw with a 1 finger head that disappeared within seconds and left no lacing at all. The aroma reminds me of a whole grain bagel with some sort of berry cream cheese. Good for breakfast not for beer. The taste is just flat out strange. The flavor is very grainy. It really reminds me of a Everything Bagel form Einstein Bagels mixed with a glass of water that had a Watermelon Jolly Rancher dropped in. Good for Zima, not some much for beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. I'm sorry, but I think I would choose a glass of water over another one of these brews. (669 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -30%

Pale straw color that has the slightest haze. One finger of head that settles to a thin film. Some spotty lacing is left behind on the glass.

Sort of a bizare aroma and flavor. Does not smell specific like watermelon, but sort of a decomposing rind, vegatable aroma. Some sort of spice is lingering in there but I cannot specifically identify it.

Not a fan of the flavor either. Certainly unique. Watermelon rind, lemon, and pale wheat malt.

Solid, light body of a wheat ale. Well matched carbonation.

Not a fan of this beer. A weird aroma and flavor for sure. Finding it hard to finish. (591 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -29.7%

12 oz can poured into pint glass. thanks to mrmiles for this during the nice cans II BIF

Pours a clear pale yellow with a thin head which quickly fizzles out. No retention or lacing.

Very unusual nose with some fruity wheat and almost an earthy vegetable smell. Kind of like a garden salad maybe?

Light wheat and barley up front, which quickly crashes into an odd avalanche of watermelon and other fruit/vegetable flavors. There's a definite sweetness, but I kept feeling like I was almost drinking some sort of salad. Finishes crisp with a bit of lingering juicy watermelon flavor.

Light body, some lingering dryness on the tongue. I guess this would be smooth drinking, but the taste is pretty confusing and unattractive for me. (736 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

12 oz can poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
straw-yellow with 1 finger of fluffy white head. Moderate carbonation with a slight haze.

Nose
Wheat, spent grains, butter, and a slight whiff of watermelon.

Taste
Big on wheatiness with a light lemony twang. Spent grains along with a terrible butter flavor that I usually find in Blue Moon. Slight essence of watermelon that comes off quite artificial.

Mouthfeel
Medium-light bodied, crisp, and clean.

Overall
A boring wheat beer with buttery off-flavors. (509 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.8%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me. (1,082 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.8%

Appearance: The pour is hazy gold with a large foamy white head that soon settles down as a thin layer with a smidgen of lacing.

Smell: The nose has pungent watermelon that straddles the line between fresh and fake/sugarfied in front of wheat aromas.

Taste: Good news: The watermelon is still on the right side of fresh/artificial Mendoza Line in the flavor profile. There's just a hint of Jolly Rancher. It doesn't seem like it would be an offensive flavor at all if it were by itself. Same goes for the wheat beer component. It's tastes like a nice, fundamentally sound, refreshing wheat beer. Bad news: The combination of the watermelon and wheat is nearly disgusting.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied without feeling watery with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I put a bottle of Irony Pinot Noir back once I saw the six pack of Watermelon Wheat. Now I have 5 cans to serve to friends or suffer through. I wonder how the pinot tastes... (941 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.8%

Cloudy pale yellow with a clean and foamy white head. The head disappears quickly and leaves no lacing.

Wheaty with a semi-rotten vegetable smell. Like a bowl of overripe garden veggies that have been sitting together for a week. Kind of scared to try it.

Not real good. Getting the watermelon which comes in the form of a watermelon jolly rancher. The wheat is there too and the combination is very vegetable like again. It really tastes like a cheaply made wheat beer with a watermelon jolly rancher dropped in it. This blend is not working.

Kind of flat and underwhelming.

I'm probably going to have to drain pour the rest of this. Kudos to these guys for trying something unique, but it just simply doesn't come out very well. It's worth trying to see what it's like, but do what I did, only buy a single. (813 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into a wheat beer glass.

Pours a golden color. Decent two fingered head.

Very clear, not like traditional wheat beers- must be filtered.

I personally did not like the taste. I agree with another review that it had an artificial watermelon taste, but at the same time, I could see how some might like the flavor. It could be refreshing, but it just did not suit my palate for wheat beers.

Give it a try if you're looking for a fruit beer that is not overwhelmingly fruity. (482 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a light, cloudy, golden yellow(looks like pineapple juice). Small white head fades quickly, no lacing.

Smells of biscuits and watermelon.

Taste like someone put a watermelon jolly rancher in a glass of lite beer.

Feels like soda water in the mouth.

The drinkability is zero for me. I haven't poured a beer in awhile but this one is going down the drain. (364 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -26.6%

This is the first Watermelon beer I've ever had. The color was hazy and yellow the aroma was sweet and had the natural aroma of the watermelon. The flavor was a little of te light side. It wasn't that bad but I think that if a watermelon wedge was added to this while drinking that it would amp this brew up and make it a lot better. (333 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -26.3%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. It poured a pale golden color with a thin head that disappeared pretty quickly.

The watermelon is immediately noticeable in it along with some citrus and wheat malts. I also unfortunately get an unpleasant metallic flavor to it.

The taste also shows a lot of the watermelon flavor along with some rind and vegetable like qualities. A little wheat and citrus are there but the watermelon is overwhelming and just not that good.

The mouthfeel is thin with moderate carbonation. Overall, I just didn't care for it. The watermelon was too dominating and just not that great. It seemed to have more of a bitter rind, vegetable like quality to it that I didn't care for. A little metallic as well. Not something I'd want to try again. (768 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -26%

A watermelon beer? This would be a new style for me. The can says watermelon juice is added. Hmm.

A - Poured a light golden color. Looks like a typical wheat beer to me with a little foam on the head.

S - Definitely fruity with some wheat.

T - This just does not do it for me. The watermelon is overdone and leaves this not really tasting like beer. Perhaps part of the problem was drinking this beer on a cold winter night when it might hit the spot on a summer picnic. Maybe I would try it again in those circumstances.

M/D - A little sticky and light carbonation on the tongue. Sweet. I wouldn't really want more than one of these despite the low ABV. (658 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -26%

Pours a clean yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, faint wheat note and a small fruitiness. In the taste, well, it tastes like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. A small dry, smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry watermelon Jolly Rancher aftertaste. It kind of reminds me of a average wheat beer and dropping a couple watermelon Jolly Ranchers in there, and then drinking it. (391 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -25.7%

Interesting beer. I can't say I'd ever think of combining watermelon with beer (nor do I really enjoy fruity beers), but I was looking forward to trying this one when some friends brought it over. It had a decent aroma.. definitely wheat with juicy watermelon undertones. The taste was like a hefe that had a dissolved watermelon jolly rancher in it! Kind of odd, but drinkable none-the-less. I can't say I'd look forward to having this beer again, but I woudn't turn it down if it were offered to me either. (508 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The appearance isn't bad - pale cloudy straw color, 2 fingers of lacing which dies pretty quickly; But I am getting about as much taste as a Miller Lite, maybe with a slight watermelon fruit essence and slight melon odor. Highly carbonated. Was worth one try to satisfy my curiosity, but will never get again. (309 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a can into a snifter. Gentle pour led to about 2 fingers of a thin white head that quickly disappeared. Smells like canned corn. Tasted like canned corn with a slight jolly rancher watermelon finish. The longer it sat the more it smelled and tasted like watermelon but I ended up drain pouring half of this mess.
This beer was gross. (346 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -24.5%

Grabbed a can (for ticking purposes) while on a roadtrip to Minnesota...

Served in a tulip.

Smells and looks more like a Saison... A tart, lemony, hazy, orange-tinted yellow in color...

The smell is tart lemons and odd spices... Hard to pinpoint-- perhaps it's just spicy notes from the yeast and wheat.

The taste actually pulls off watermelon! Very very watermelon. A hint of watermelon bubbalicious gum... Quite interesting.

A small head fizzled quickly to nothingness and left no lacing.

As it warms, the smell becomes more of a fruit juice blend-- ruby red grapefruit/watermelon... Hmmmm.

The taste is better than the smell, but neither are great.

The body needs more carbonation. It comes off as too thick and oily.

Overall, this was a fun one to try, a fun one to tick, but not one I ever want again. (816 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery