Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
scot959

08-09-2012 02:50:03 | More by scot959
mralphabet

Pour Can into Pint Glass

A: Hazy and orange in color, big 2 finger soapy head that dissipates to a nice ring of foam. Little lacing but not much. Looks like a nice wheat.

S: Watermelon rind... Green watermelon rind. It is had to get past it.... the next thing I'm getting it is some sweet malt and a little wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent

T: Wow the watermelon rind is here as well.... and strong. There is also a mild sweetness and a slight hint of citrus.

M: Mid to light bodied with good carbonation. A little more filling than most wheat beers I've had.

D: The taste killed it for more so not very drinkable for me....

Maybe I'm missing something but what I was getting was not enjoyable to me...

I will not let this hold me back from trying another 21st Amendment Brew.

02-22-2010 00:59:01 | More by mralphabet

03-12-2014 04:51:18 | More by DSkilling
Guden

Maryland

1.53/5  rDev -53.5%

A- Looks like a nice wheat beer, nothing too exciting, medium head and worthy lacing.

S- Decent wheat notes with some watermelon, maybe a little bitterness from the hops or fruit itself, nothing unreasonable.

T- Nope, not gonna drink this. Watermelon rind, bitter awful watermelon rind and nothing else. Never poured a beer down the drain before and hope never to do it again but this is undrinkable, gross.

M- Poured it, might have been fine but I couldn't care what it felt like when it tasted wretched.

D- Couldn't handle a few sips, no way will I buy this again.

03-06-2011 06:15:37 | More by Guden
xpoweruser

1.53/5  rDev -53.5%

Appearance: Golden straw color. Very cloudy with sediment. White foamy head that does not stick around.

Aroma: Light banana and clove, yeasty. Slight watermelon aroma.

Taste: Watery banana, clove and yeast flavor. Some tart and watermelon notes, but overall this is a very bland and watery brew.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery. Very light bodied. Somewhat offensive, does not go down smooth at all.

Drinkability: A sad attempt at a wheat beer. A poorly brewed wheat beer with some watermelon juice added is not a good mix.

12-31-2010 04:59:21 | More by xpoweruser
nrbw23

1.58/5  rDev -52%

A- Pours a pretty clear pale gold color with a thin white head. Head is gone almost instantly and leaves no lacing.

S- Doesn't have a watermelon smell at all. Smells like a Bud light not really picking up a whole lot.

T- Taste is mostly yeast and wheat flavours. With a touch of a fruit in there maybe its watermelon but wouldn't count on it. It reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

D- Wow this is terrible. I sadly report I couldn't finish this one and I actually looked forward to this one.

01-11-2010 08:38:56 | More by nrbw23
tencents

Maryland

1.6/5  rDev -51.4%

A - Very unappealing partially cloudy gray gold. Went immediately flat.
S - Hint of the watermelon, otherwise not a whole lot.
T - Watermelon prevalent at finish, but tastes artificial. As the beer aired and warmed the taste really turned south.
M - Thin, very watery, almost no body.
O - Worst beer I've had in a while. I'd like to say its the watermelon but honestly feel it is just a poor quality beer.

05-05-2012 13:03:24 | More by tencents
axeman9182

1.6/5  rDev -51.4%

12 oz can, dated 3/26/12. It was poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

Hell or High Watermelon poursa somewhat hazy golden yellow. Three or so fingers of white foam cap the beer, but it all fades quickly and quietly. The nose has a bit of a Jolly Rancher watermelon type aroma to it, but there's also another smell that I can't quite place, but it definitely doesn't belong. This is quite simply the worst beer I've ever tasted. The flavor is what I'd imagine it would taste like if you let the leftover milk from a bowl of cereal sit out for a day and then tried to drink it. The body has a weird creaminess to it, only highlighting the awful taste. The carbonation is on the low side. If I ever did a video review of Hell or High Watermelon, it would probably end up a bit like the "I award you zero points, may God have mercy on your soul" speech from Billy Madison.

06-16-2012 19:53:11 | More by axeman9182
Overlord

1.68/5  rDev -48.9%

Sounded interesting ... and almost impossible to get right. And it sorta was.

Pours a somewhat hazy gold with a mild white foam head. Smells weird, with a definite whiff of watermelon and yeast.

The taste is ... all over the place. The mouthfeel's a bit thin and watery, and there's a sharp, almost acidic watermelon flavor running through it, but I don't detect much wheat, malt, or any other balancing flavor. Just not quite right.

Spritzy. Bad mouthfeel.

CreightonSM

05-22-2013 02:39:53 | More by CreightonSM
rbouton

1.78/5  rDev -45.9%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why.

01-24-2010 06:35:54 | More by rbouton
dino213aa

1.78/5  rDev -45.9%

What was I thinking? Was I lured in by the packaging? Beer pours with a weak head which dissipates quickly. If it wasn't for the yellow haze, not much would indicate this is a wheat beer. Smell is slightly green. Taste is where this beer really lets down.. I was hoping for some complexity, but this beer tastes like Miller Lite that's been strained through cooked broccoli. If there is any "watermelon" flavor, it's purely rind.. blech! Don't know if I expected this to be sweeter or more inventive, but it's none of these things. Shame because with its light body, if it didn't taste so bad it would be an easy session brew.

I can't believe I still have four left.. ugh.

09-25-2010 22:09:48 | More by dino213aa
ThreeWiseMen

1.8/5  rDev -45.3%

Reviewed by Wiseman Nick and Wiseman Pete.

Appearance: Pours a thin, clear, straw-yellow with very loose, white head. Pretty crappy retention with sticky-ish lacing.

Smell: Smells like watermelon Coors Light. Sorry 21st Ammendment: We're not digging this.

Taste: Strong, tart watermelon (similar to a Jolly Rancher) out front with grainy malts in the middle and more sugary watermelon in the finish. Tastes a lot like a watermelon soda.

Mouthfeel: A very light body with pretty high carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Flavor leaves the palate very quickly. Feels like a watermelon soda.

Drinkability: What a great gateway beer for kids! Tastes like Jones Watermelon Soda with a hint of malt. I really wonder about a lot of these Fruit / Vegetable 'Beers'.

12-09-2008 07:53:36 | More by ThreeWiseMen
powoo19

1.83/5  rDev -44.4%

-Pours to a light yellow color slightly darker than a lite beer.
-The smell is all watermelon. A hint of wheat or a bready smell but way too much watermelon.
-I am sad to say the taste is bad. Its more than slightly tart with a poor watermelon flavor. Leaves a bad aftertaste.
- Way too light on the carbonation, like a flat lite beer, causing the bitterness to really stand out.
- This beer was one of the firstbeers that I just could not finish. I likened itto drinkingbaby vomit. At no point in life did anyone ata BBQ say, "Hey, I'm eating watermelon, I'm drinking beer, boy would they go good together." Beer and watermelon, two great tastes that DO NOT go great together.

03-28-2010 16:57:03 | More by powoo19
sdsurfer217

1.83/5  rDev -44.4%

A: Unfiltered, golden yellow color. Absolutely no head. Looks like a ton of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: A little bit of soft sour citrus notes, with a touch of watermelon rind. Fresh baked bread aroma also.

T: Tastes kind of like I just bit into the rind of the watermelon. I don’t taste much actual watermelon juice. Its both bitter and sweet, but not in a good way. Finishes pretty clean, and doesn’t leave much flavor to linger.

M: Pretty light/thin feeling beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Not a very good beer. It’s a weird flavor that I didn’t expect and really doesn’t deliver the promised watermelon taste. I find it extremely strange that this beer is one of the best sellers at Winking Lizard. I won’t be buying this beer and will stick to other offerings from 21st Amendment.

07-09-2011 16:22:54 | More by sdsurfer217