Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,312 | Reviews: 726
3.82/5  rDev +15.1%

From a can poured into a shaker pint. Only one finger of head developed.

A: a light golden yellow with mininal visible carbonation

S: No smell of watermelon at all. The smell was crisp with a citric and floral hint

T: Great actually. The watermelon really comes through in the finish. Reminds me a jolly rancher.

M: Good. The small amount of carbonation helped develop the characteristics on the palate.

D: Good. I enjoyed this beer a lot.

3.82/5  rDev +15.1%

Shaken as per instructions on the can.

A - ~60% opaque banana yellow. Huge head on a sturdy our with a relatively loose bubble structure. Poor lace and retention.

S - Wheat, watermelon rind, honey, butter crackers.

T - A nice mirror of the nose. Wheat, honey, butter cracker. Lightly sweet watermelon juice and candied watermelon rind.

M - Light/medium body. Fairly full for the style. Sweet finish, but not oppressively so.

O - Nice, light, sweet and refreshing.

3.82/5  rDev +15.1%

A very unique and refreshing brew. You can smell the watermelon right up front, but it doesn't completely shadow the wheat.

The first thing you taste with this one is the watermelon. The finish is a smooth combination of watermelon and wheat. Mild carbonation, a great aftertaste and very drinkable. The watermelon flavor definitely isn't as overpowering or gross as some people have said, or at least it hasn't been in my experience.

This would definitely make a great summer beer, and my lady friends seem to enjoy it. If you know someone who prefers malt beverages or wine coolers, Hell or High Watermelon might be a good way to get them interested in beers. Or, at the least, it'll get them interested in fruit beers.

3.82/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

If you don't like watermelon, you prob won't like this beer either. Crisp, refreshing with more than just a hint of watermelon. Quite delicious.

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%

Received in a package from Floydster. Thanks for the opportunity to try this one,Kyle.

Poured from the can into a Goose Island tasting glass, split with my wife.
Gave the can a few gentle swirls to agitate per instructions on the can.
Poured a cloudy, straw color with a nice one finger white head.
Crisp, clean almost dry scent, no real hint of watermelon or any fruit for that matter.
The first sip reveals the sweet taste of the watermelon.
Somewhat fruity in the middle with a light airyness to it, interesting.
Had a dry, almost champagne like finish to it.
I'm pretty sure my wife liked this beer more than I did but it has teased me enough to give it another try if given the chance.

Recommended on the novelty of a watermelon beer alone.

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Light peach color and fully opaque even against the light. 2-finger head reduces to 1/2 finger quite quickly and then a bit slower to just a ring around the glass. I find it a very good-looking beer.

S: Wheat, with a fresh-cut quality to it. A hint of spice.

T: Very good, you can taste the melon, but it is not overdone. After the hit of melon, there is a brief bitter bite and then it fades with wheaty sweetness. The first few sips reminded of me of watermelon rind, but I cannot detect this after a while.

M: Refreshing and light, carbonation is a bit too low perhaps - I find it OK to overdo it with the bubbles in a summer beer.

O: Borderline between 3.5 and 4 for me, but I think in the end this is one of the few fruit-based brews that I can finish a six-pack of. Bonus points for not being a berry of some kind.

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsener glass.

A - Poured a slightly cloudy yellow/orange color. The pour prodiced a head of white foam that quickly subsided into a ring of tiny bubbles.

S - Yeasty, sourdough aroma. Slight hints of citrus and watermelon.

T - Tough to describe. Slightly yeasty (but not as strong as the aroma would lead you to believe). Finishes off with slightly sour watermelon flavor. Very well done.

MF&D - Crisp and refreshing. A great Summer choice.

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%

I purchased this at Shawan in Liquors in Md. Poured chilled from the can into a goblet

A - a hazy light marigold color w/ 2 fingers of soapy head w/ tiny bead, The wheat has good retention as lace clings to the glass

S - The smell has a malty, creamy wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent and mild sweet esters w/ subtle wheat toastiness

M - The feel has mild sweetness and relatively full body for the strength w/ a high effervescent intro and sweet middle, but drops off significantly and finishes smooth and clean

T - A crisp wheat flavor w/ mild watermelon note w/ light fruit ans subtle rind taste w/ toasty, creamy wheat flavor. The flavor finishes off w/ slightly sweet and mild watermelon juice flavor.

D - A really drinkable wheat w/ nice complimentary watermelon taste - not overdone and adds to the overall drinkability - a refreshing wheat/fruit combo.

3.84/5  rDev +15.7%

Had at this years OBF!

- Clear straw-yellow appearance... little bit of white lacing... bubbly...

- Great citrusy watermelon scent with some wheat and malt.. some breadiness... not bad..

- Smooth balanced flavor... somewhat watery though.. but certainly some watermelon... bit sweet and candy-like though. Ok I guess..

- Watery, like a watery fruit drink... light and refreshing...

- I could easily do a 12-pack on a hot day and wonder why I would be thirsty still and dehydrated.... a nice sporty brew for a hot day. Put some caffeine in it and it would appeal to some kids...

3.84/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance: Pale yellow, minimal white head. Looks like a light commercial beer almost.

Aroma: Smells fresh and sweet with hints of cotton candy. Definitely does not smell like artificial jolly-rancher watermelon flavor, which I was afraid of. In fact, there really isn't much watermelon on the nose at all, just sweetness.

Taste: Minimal watermelon taste, with slightly bitter aftertaste lingering. Most certainly does not taste how I expected it to - that is, like cloyingly fake watermelon. Mostly just tastes how it smells, sweet like cotton candy with a crisp freshness that I like.

Mouthfeel: Minimal carbonation, feels very creamy in the mouth.

Drinkability: Pretty high. Though I wouldn't add this to my usual rotation of beers, I can see it being a BBQ or summer beach staple. It is light and very easy to put back a couple.

Notes: For some reason, this beer tastes much better directly out of the can. When poured into a glass, some of the creaminess is lost, which I feel really detracts from the overall experience of the beer.

3.85/5  rDev +16%

12oz single, Thanks lou91 for the try, I have been hearing about this beer in comparison to the great dane's version

appearance: I had no idea this came in a can....pours into an imperial pint glass....very pale body, light straw color, frothy white head with light lacing

smell: I can tell almost immediately what this beer is as i've seen its type before....a nice and original fruit presence over an average wheat body. I've never had a watermelon wheat before though, so its a fresh idea to me...aroma is of a nice red watermelon, honey, pale wheat body

taste: taste is immediately of watermelon which im not sure my palate knows how to process...body and base resembles an american pale wheat with very subtle flavor. It's an interesting beer and I can see a 6 pack of cans being a nice buy on a hot summer day

mouthfeel: medium-light body, average carbonation

drinkability: pretty high

3.85/5  rDev +16%

This brew pours a light golden straw color with one centimeter of thin, puffy head. I've seen hazier wheat beers as well but it still looks good. The smell is light, a bit of watermelon and soft grainy notes as well.

Glug glug glug

This flavor is bigger than the smell but very restrained, which works for the style. The watermelon aspect is better than I would have thought. If anything it tastes a bit 'fake' somehow, like how a lollipop approximates flavor. This being said it isn't bad but it feels unnatural. The more traditional aspects are good and the drinkability is high. This would likely be better if it were fresher. Also the more I drink this the more the watermelon flavor becomes watery, rather the sweetness from the impact isn't strong enough to last.

3.85/5  rDev +16%

I, too, must thank Lou91 for this sample. I have been wanting to try this one.

Poured a pale straw color with a touch of cloudiness. Two finger, white head formed and then quickly disappeared. Some light lacing left behind.

Aroma is light. Average wheat beer smell, but with a hint of sweet watermelon. That little wiff of watermelon peaks my curiosity.

The taste follows the same path as the aroma. At first, it seems to be an average wheat beer, but then the watermelon creeps in. Nicely blended between the two. I was worried that it might be too sweet, but it is not. Watermelon aftertaste reminds you that it is a different kind of wheat beer.

Nice, light mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. This would have been an interesting beer to bring to a cookout. I think most people would enjoy it.

3.85/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can poured into a snifter. Pours yellow with a finger of foam that fades quickly. Aroma is wheaty, grainy, husky, and a hint of watermelon.

Flavor has a nice watermelon presence. Not super sweet, and the wheat malt comes through in the aftertaste. The watermelon flavor is subdued, which is preferable. Very light and refreshing.

Honestly, not a bad summer beer. I'd buy this again if I knew I'd be drinking outside.

3.85/5  rDev +16%

Had this on-tap at the Rogue Public House in San Francisco. Pours a very hazy golden with a thin, white, swirly cap of a head. Smells vaguely sour with wheat and watermelon rind, a touch of lemon, and a tiny bit of sweetness. The taste is similar, with more white rind flavor than red juiciness, but as opposed to the aroma, there is at least some sweet, juicy watermelon here which adds something to the more sour and herbal rind and lemon flavors. Crisp, refreshing, and worth trying. A fairly interesting beer.

3.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured a pale straw gold into a pint glass with a finger of loose white head. Mild aroma of honey and wheat.

Moderate carbonation and a light, creamy mouthfeel. Plenty of watermelon up front with bread/wheat and a light grassy bitterness on the finish.

Very refreshing and easy drinking, although the watermelon borders on Jolly Rancher-esque artificial sweetness after a while.

12 oz. can,

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a medium white head, good retention, no lacing, looks a lot like a witibier.

S: Lots of watermelon, smells a little on the artificial side, but not to bad, it's a nice smell.

T: Big bite of watermelon and sour candy bite at first. Flavour turns wheatier and away from the fruit flavour to finish, dry cereal.

M: Definitely on the acidic side, about the same pH I'd reckon as orange juice, very crisp and refreshing, has a soda quality about it.

D: Not bad at all, a great summer beer, the idea of mixing watermelon with a wheat beer base certainly works here.

3.85/5  rDev +16%

Pour - well, its not pink. Its a tannish-golden color with some suspended (and not so suspended) yeast sediment. Head is a rather thin and this is all a bit cloudy.

Aroma - what I smell most is a sour malt aroma along with some sweetness that sort of reminds me of watermelon as well as honey and powdered sugar. So, not a lot of watermelon-y stuff going on in either the pour or the aroma. Let's move on...

Taste - when I really get my face in the glass and take the first sip I finally get some watermelon flavor and aroma. Its faint and it won't overwhelm you even if you hate watermelon. Its a slightly sour fruity flavor that isn't at all off-putting and it actually kind of works well, in a refreshing sort of way. Nice wheat beer with just enough watermelon flavor to give this a very subtle sour bit.

Overall - The more I drink of this, the more I am enjoying it. I'll admit, its a lot better than I thought. The watermelon flavor is subtle and like I previously mentioned, this is very refreshing. If you are like me and figure you'd probably not like this beer you might be surprised. Pop open a can and remember to be open-minded.

Would I buy more of it? - I wouldn't totally dismiss this beer as it is exactly what it is supposed to be. However, its not a beer that I'd find myself drinking a lot of the time. It does sort of scream to be bought the night before a day of yard work.

3.85/5  rDev +16%

Can. Pours a cloudy gold with a small white head. Aroma of bready, wheaty malt with a touch of sweetness. Flavor is initially sweet watermelon (like the Watermelon Ice Baskin Robbins flavor) with a wheaty finish. Hmm, the tap version seemed a little more watermelon-y but otherwise an identical beer. Delicious as always!

3.86/5  rDev +16.3%

12 ounce can. Not decanted. Aroma very hard to describe. I suppose the smell is like sugarry watermelon juice? Kinda unpleasant. Taste is actually nice and interesting and not what I expected after struggling with the aroma. Sort of a nice flavor to add into a wheat beer. Not sure why I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I like this beer...but I do.

3.86/5  rDev +16.3%

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I recently tried for the first time not knowing what to expect but it was quite well done. Smells of faint wheat and watermelon, and pretty much tastes the same with some malt backbone to round it all out. Nothing it overpowering and it's all very well balanced. For a beer drinker, I liked it and it served it's purpose of quenching my thirst straight from the can on a 90 degree F humid day. Some others that tried it, which I would not call big beer drinkers, actually were hoping for more of the watermelon to shine through. For what they were going for here though I think they did a great job. Very drinkable on a hot day.

3.87/5  rDev +16.6%

Not for everyone but very refreshing and keeps me interested. This drinks dry and not sweet. Worth a try.

3.87/5  rDev +16.6%

appearance: hazy yellow gold with not much head and non-existent lacing.
smell: Very faint watermelon. I would've missed it had I not been sniffing for it.
taste: There's the watermelon! Pretty tasty.
mouthfeel: pretty slight. Some carbonation.
drinkability: This is quite refreshing on a hot Ga. summer afternoon.
Not bad, but not a seek it out, must have.

3.87/5  rDev +16.6%

Nice refreshing watermelon brew that is easy to drink and tastes good too!

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It is pretty good but it is basically shock top but with noticeable watermelon.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery