Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,067 | Reviews: 630
3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

First had: can from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Interesting idea, and I've seen it around enough to the point where I had to pick up a can.

Poured clear golden into a tumbler. Big white foamy head that dissipated after a few minutes to just a thin layer. Aroma (first impression) was stale and unimpressive, and I started having doubts that I picked up a bad beer. Then I took a sip. Watermelon!!! Very distinct, very fruity, but not overbearing or sickeningly sweet, and truly watermelon. Very light and smooth, no acidic harshness that often pervades wheat beers. Light body, easily drinkable. Great summertime beer. I want more.

3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Very hazy light golden glass holds a very thin white head.

Smell: Wheat, earthy grain really, with just a hint of Jolly Rancher Watermelon candy. A bit of melon, but I really have to reach for it.

Taste: Watermelon comes through a lot more in the taste for me, overall a very mild beer, a little yeasty, a bit of coarse wheat, but not much here to tell.

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation doesn't get fizzy, smooth texture and a little oily mouth coat.

Overall: A good summer beer, nice, different, but a bit pedestrian. Still, could see it being a hit at parties as it is unlikely to offend and just enough going to be interesting.

Hand carried back from Maryland

2.14/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had been wanting to try this for a while...finally did...glad I did...probably won't be having another.

A-Pale yellow...clearer than I would have expected...light head that faded fast

S-Probably the best part of the beer...strong and pleasant smell of watermelon...smells of summer...picked up some wheat as well

T-I wanted to like the taste...but couldn't....watermelon all over the place...slight wheat...SLIGHT....the watermelon was too prevalent and even then...tasted watered down. Not pleasant.

M-medium carbonation

D-As I said above...I am glad I tried it...b/c I had wanted to for a while...I didn't finish the can I had...left about 1/4 in the glass. I generally am a fan of 21st amendment...but this one just didn't work...though I respect the effort in trying to brew a different beer.

2.96/5  rDev -10.3%

A: cloudy yellow with a thick white head that dies down to a thin line of bubbles.

S: Smells like a wheat beer with a very slight watermelon aroma in the background.

T: Interesting. The is an immediate melon flavor that mixes with the bready malt and wheat. I thought the sweetness was going to be out of control, but it wasn't that bad. The aftertaste isn't that great, sort of a residual musty melon flavor. Aftertaste brings it down, kind of gross.

M: Good mouthfeel. Light, smooth and good carbonation.

O: It's interesting. Doesn't taste too great

2.06/5  rDev -37.6%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me.

3.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Finally got around to trying this, as I've never had a beer from these guys nor have I ever reviewed one from a can. Shaking this and giving it a soda-like pour led to a nice head but there wasn't much else memorable about this, including the smell or taste. While I give these guys props for being big proponents of canning, I think that more attention should have been paid to the product inside of it!

Decent goldenrod hue to this with no lacing to be found as I worked my through the beer. The carbonation was light, like ginger ale,, and the watermelon only seemed like a background flavor. There was some wheat with this along with quite a bit of malt and the lightness of jasmine. The aftertaste was that of the watermelon but it was so barely present that it just felt like a very light wheat. It's not summer here but this was about as easygoing as a beer could be and I was expecting just a bit more of a kick to this, even though brews of this type tend to be "lawnmower beers".

I couldn't even feel the alcohol in this and as I already stated, this felt like a soda or a mixer that I'd pour into some spirit. Thankfully, I couldn't taste any of the can in the beer like I thought and I'm sure that that's a prejudice that I personally need to overcome. That being said, this beer comes up short and if I wanted something on a hot summer day, I'd choose something with a bit more haze and body in it. This isn't a novelty but it's not that far away from that status either.

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Can. Pours a hazy dark gold with a thick white head. Very toasty, biscuity aroma with a fresh whiff of melon. The palate carries more biscuity malt, with some wheat notes and distinct but subtle watermelon in the finish. Not especially yeasty or wheaty to me, more biscuity and even a toasty mouthfeel, but subtle on the fruit which keeps things intriguing. Finish is crisp and dry. Very different, in a good way. But not enough for me to buy again.

1.85/5  rDev -43.9%

Can, shaken as instructed into a pilsner glass

Cloudy pale yellow hue, like a bud light batch gone wrong. At least it has a moderately attractive 2 finger crisp white head.

Smell really needs improvement, I've had thomas hooker's watermelon whatever and it had much more watermelon character in the nose and the taste. This has some light watermelon smells very similar to sniffing the white part of the rind. There are also some sweet corn and circus peanut notes in here as well.

Taste is pretty bland, it has some watermelon character in there at certain points throughout the progression but nothing too great

Mouthfeel is pretty lively with carbonation but super light and watery.

Overall I'm unimpressed and Thomas Hooker's would definitey be my choice given the option.

3.82/5  rDev +15.8%

Shaken as per instructions on the can.

A - ~60% opaque banana yellow. Huge head on a sturdy our with a relatively loose bubble structure. Poor lace and retention.

S - Wheat, watermelon rind, honey, butter crackers.

T - A nice mirror of the nose. Wheat, honey, butter cracker. Lightly sweet watermelon juice and candied watermelon rind.

M - Light/medium body. Fairly full for the style. Sweet finish, but not oppressively so.

O - Nice, light, sweet and refreshing.

2.4/5  rDev -27.3%

This is the first Watermelon beer I've ever had. The color was hazy and yellow the aroma was sweet and had the natural aroma of the watermelon. The flavor was a little of te light side. It wasn't that bad but I think that if a watermelon wedge was added to this while drinking that it would amp this brew up and make it a lot better.

3.8/5  rDev +15.2%

Can from Perry's Liquor in Livermore CA

A - POured a slight hazed yellow color with a white head that leaves some spotty lacing behind

S - Is fairly light with wheat and some watermelon

T - Starts off like most wheat ales with wheat upfront then the watermelon starts coming through and dominates the finish

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

O - While I'm not that into fruit beers this one is pretty good as the fruit flavoring isn't overpowering making it very easy to drink this is going to be a good beer as the weather warms up worth trying sometime if you see it

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours out a nice gold color, small amount of head. Smells like a wheat beer, bit of citrus some watermelon rind? Tastes very light, I can probably drink this all day... watermelon flavor, a bit like watermelon jollyranchers, nice amount of carbonation... definitely refreshing.

1.97/5  rDev -40.3%

A- Looks nice, a thick-looking wheat, but a suspiciously thin head portends disappointment.

S- I like the smell, and I give props to them for trying something unusual. Deceptively promising.

T- I could analyze this to the wall, but there's only one word that sums it up: WEEEAAAKKKK.

M- Fizzy and insubstantial.

There's just nothing standing behind this. A fruit beer has to be a good beer without the fruit. Nico and Shaun ought to pour an Abita Purple Haze and take notes.

1.3/5  rDev -60.6%

Have heard good things about 21st Amendment. Well lets say I was extremely disappointed with my 1st forray. This was a can poured into a frosted pint glass.

Boring, stale, flat taste, and that's just the good things. The taste of watermelon was overpowering. Head was small.

This was so bad the bartendered offered a substitution.

Hopefully my future posts will be for better buys.

1.98/5  rDev -40%

Pale gold with almost no head, no lace, dead looking. Watermelon, fruit, and some faint wheat on the nose. Taste is mostly watermelon with a distinct wheat base. Fruity aftertaste. Very light, watery mouth. Overall this was a clunker. Glad I only have a 6 pack from a variety case. Those will tough to get rid of.

1.63/5  rDev -50.6%

A- Looks like a nice wheat beer, nothing too exciting, medium head and worthy lacing.

S- Decent wheat notes with some watermelon, maybe a little bitterness from the hops or fruit itself, nothing unreasonable.

T- Nope, not gonna drink this. Watermelon rind, bitter awful watermelon rind and nothing else. Never poured a beer down the drain before and hope never to do it again but this is undrinkable, gross.

M- Poured it, might have been fine but I couldn't care what it felt like when it tasted wretched.

D- Couldn't handle a few sips, no way will I buy this again.

3.22/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a very light straw-yellow with a fluffy white head that quickly recedes, leaving a slight haze on the surface.
S - Aromas of sweet malt, wheat, citrus, and just a little bit of watermelon. Smells slightly tart and lactic, almost Berliner Weisse-like.
T - Tastes...like watermelon. Not too bad, actually, the watermelon flavor seems fairly authentic, not too Jolly Rancher-ish. More sweet malt and wheat make up the backbone.
M - Thin and watery with fairly crisp carbonation.
D - On a hot day this may not be too bad. Not really my thing, but I can see what they were going for.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a hazy light yellow color, very pale. Forms a nice 3 finger white head that recedes after about 5 minutes leaving a thin foam cap on top of the beer. Lacing is average.

Smell is malts, bread, light citrus/lemon, light sweet fruits, mainly watermelon and coconut.

Taste begins with malt, bread and wheat and progresses to some sweet watermelon notes that are very mild but persist up until the end of the sip and aftertaste. Also there is a discrete aromatic/spicy hop presence contributing to light bitterness towards the finish.

Very light in body and easy to drink. High carbonation jacks up the drinkability. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery as both the malts and watermelon are very subdued.

Not a very flavorful beer at all but it sure is highly drinkable and refreshing. It is definitely worth trying but that's about it.

2.47/5  rDev -25.2%

Grabbed a can (for ticking purposes) while on a roadtrip to Minnesota...

Served in a tulip.

Smells and looks more like a Saison... A tart, lemony, hazy, orange-tinted yellow in color...

The smell is tart lemons and odd spices... Hard to pinpoint-- perhaps it's just spicy notes from the yeast and wheat.

The taste actually pulls off watermelon! Very very watermelon. A hint of watermelon bubbalicious gum... Quite interesting.

A small head fizzled quickly to nothingness and left no lacing.

As it warms, the smell becomes more of a fruit juice blend-- ruby red grapefruit/watermelon... Hmmmm.

The taste is better than the smell, but neither are great.

The body needs more carbonation. It comes off as too thick and oily.

Overall, this was a fun one to try, a fun one to tick, but not one I ever want again.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a Clown Shoes pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy straw colour with a quarter inch fizzy why head that disappears leaving no lacing at all. Small particles suspended in the pour.

S - Nice typical wheat notes here with just the faintest of watermelon rind aroma.

T - Tastes like well, a wheat beer with some semi-fake watermelon flavour. The watermelon at some point has almost a rind taste, where others it tastes like watermelon candy or icecream.

M - Crisp almost high carbonation. Feels nices in the mouth and refreshing on the tongue.

D - Very refreshing. A watermelony flavoured lighter beer great for summertime. Looks like your typical "light" beer, not much on the nose. Still its enjoyable.

2.78/5  rDev -15.8%

From the can into a standard Sea Dog pint glass

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with a bit of sediment. Very small white head that goes away fairly quickly. What you would expect from a wheat beer.

S - Trying to pull out some watermelon smell but not getting it. Almost a odd vegetable aroma as well. The nose just really isn't doing it for me.

T - Artificial watermelon flavor at first followed by some wheat. Not a whole bunch going on here, expected more for sure.

M - The body is definitely on the lighter side with a small amount of carbonation. I think it needs to be upped a bit to help out the brew.

D - If this is your thing then pretty high. It's light enough in body and abv to drink a few. Probably a good lawnmower beer. Not really my thing but I might just chalk it up to being out of season as well as a slightly dated can.

3.05/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Poured a VERY cloudy, light cheddar cheese yellow color, with about a 1-2 finger head that quickly retreated into the brew below. The carbonation was very much on the low side. Hmmmm... If I were a betting man and didn't know the style beforehand, I would have said this was a Witbier from the look of it.

S: Sweet watermelon rind for sure, but it also had sort of a high pitched tart and/or aspriny quality to it. It was very organic at first sniff, but then I got a bit of that manufactured "artificial fruit" scent.

T: The carbonation was virtually non-existent, making the fruit juice quality that much more noticable. The wheat hit the palate first, followed by the watermelon and finishing that way as well. The fruit taste on the end was actually kind of refreshing in an odd sort of way.

M: Flat as a pancake! I mean.... wow.... man oh man this stuff needed more bubbles to cut through the sugar! After a few gulps I started to notice a bit of a prickle by the bubbles, but nothing worth noting. No lacing on the glass whatsoever.

D: If I were in the Caribbean and no beer was around except for this and Bud, I'd choose this. Otherwise, I'd definitely skip it.

1.53/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Golden straw color. Very cloudy with sediment. White foamy head that does not stick around.

Aroma: Light banana and clove, yeasty. Slight watermelon aroma.

Taste: Watery banana, clove and yeast flavor. Some tart and watermelon notes, but overall this is a very bland and watery brew.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery. Very light bodied. Somewhat offensive, does not go down smooth at all.

Drinkability: A sad attempt at a wheat beer. A poorly brewed wheat beer with some watermelon juice added is not a good mix.

2.42/5  rDev -26.7%

A watermelon beer? This would be a new style for me. The can says watermelon juice is added. Hmm.

A - Poured a light golden color. Looks like a typical wheat beer to me with a little foam on the head.

S - Definitely fruity with some wheat.

T - This just does not do it for me. The watermelon is overdone and leaves this not really tasting like beer. Perhaps part of the problem was drinking this beer on a cold winter night when it might hit the spot on a summer picnic. Maybe I would try it again in those circumstances.

M/D - A little sticky and light carbonation on the tongue. Sweet. I wouldn't really want more than one of these despite the low ABV.

4.19/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can.

Pours a light honey gold color with almost a greenish hue. No visibility through the wheaty cloud. A white head soon turns into a ring. Smell is remarkably crisp, I get many light green fruit tones, like pear and apple, and some light grains. Taste is very bright and crisp. The watermelon really serves as a nice backing, without too much sweetness and just a little tartness. Finishes dry, with a little hops bitterness and lingering watermelon sweetness. Pretty good, and my favorite fruit-added beer I've sampled. I could drink a bunch of these on a hot day..

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery