Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Slatetank

3.85/5  rDev +17%

I purchased this at Shawan in Liquors in Md. Poured chilled from the can into a goblet

A - a hazy light marigold color w/ 2 fingers of soapy head w/ tiny bead, The wheat has good retention as lace clings to the glass

S - The smell has a malty, creamy wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent and mild sweet esters w/ subtle wheat toastiness

M - The feel has mild sweetness and relatively full body for the strength w/ a high effervescent intro and sweet middle, but drops off significantly and finishes smooth and clean

T - A crisp wheat flavor w/ mild watermelon note w/ light fruit ans subtle rind taste w/ toasty, creamy wheat flavor. The flavor finishes off w/ slightly sweet and mild watermelon juice flavor.

D - A really drinkable wheat w/ nice complimentary watermelon taste - not overdone and adds to the overall drinkability - a refreshing wheat/fruit combo.

12-16-2009 15:00:11 | More by Slatetank
bob3701

2.83/5  rDev -14%

Poured into a shaker pint. Sickly pinkish yellow color with a big bubble head that quickly disappears. No lacing. Watermelon is the predominant aroma. And it tastes like watermelon too. If not for the watermelon there would be little if any flavor. Could not drink much of this. Great name and I'm saving the can but I don't think I'll be having any more.

12-15-2009 02:02:20 | More by bob3701
Dotcubed

Arkansas

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

I don't know when or where I've heard about this particular beer, but at the time I thought it could be a good thing.

Surprised to see it in a card board box.

I can't tell if there's a hue of pink in my glass or not.
A scant ring of lace.

Nice aroma. Real fruit. But very faint.
Tangy bready yeast. Summer in a glass. Moderate carbonation. I think I detect some melon rind.
A lighter body, refreshing.

Almost good enough for a 12 pack.
Possibly the perfect accompaniment to fried chicken.

12-13-2009 05:57:22 | More by Dotcubed
glamphetamine

3.85/5  rDev +17%

A very unique and refreshing brew. You can smell the watermelon right up front, but it doesn't completely shadow the wheat.

The first thing you taste with this one is the watermelon. The finish is a smooth combination of watermelon and wheat. Mild carbonation, a great aftertaste and very drinkable. The watermelon flavor definitely isn't as overpowering or gross as some people have said, or at least it hasn't been in my experience.

This would definitely make a great summer beer, and my lady friends seem to enjoy it. If you know someone who prefers malt beverages or wine coolers, Hell or High Watermelon might be a good way to get them interested in beers. Or, at the least, it'll get them interested in fruit beers.

12-11-2009 03:47:42 | More by glamphetamine
ZAP

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

I've been wanting to try this for awhile now. It is certainly unique. The watermelon is evident on the aroma and is more of a fresh fruit smell rather than an artificial jolly rancher smell. That is good. There is also a a sweet white cake batter like aroma as well. And the more I smell this the cake batter aroma seems to gain strength....

Has a mild watermelon flavor on the taste....refreshing but different...not artificial as I feared it would be, but more of a freshly cut watermelon flavor...get a little bit of the cake batter on the taste too on the finish.

Light side of medium bodied...cloudy golden color....drinks nice but I don't think I could handle more than a couple at a time. A nice niche wheat.

12-09-2009 05:55:11 | More by ZAP
tone77

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy light brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells like watermelon with some wheat. Taste like it smells, wheat and watermelon, though not overpowering, good balance. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is highly drinkable. Overall this is an interesting and quality brew.

12-01-2009 00:13:23 | More by tone77
Mistofminn

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Got this one at Heritage. I figured, why not? Ed and Tim (again...I can't remember if thats your name or not) told me that this is definitely not the right weather to be drinking this in. Boy were they right.

Poured into a small pint glass, this is a hazy light golden color with a foamy white head. Lively carbonation. Leaves only spots of lacing.

The nose is really really wierd. It's sweet and wheaty, but there is a sort of water-logged watermelon rind. It is a strange combination of wheat and yeast and a light melon smell, that just isn't really melon. It's just strange, not my thing.

The taste is a shock, actually. I had my hopes that this actually tasted like watermelon dashed when the nose told me it wouldn't. But alas, it actually kind of does. It's strange, again, and not necessarily in a good way. Yeasty and wheaty and melony. Again, not really my thing.

Mouthfeel is light with a high carbonation, but it's surprisingly smooth and easy going. Drinkability is good, I can imagine that non-craft beer drinkers would love this stuff. My girlfriend and her mother (not craft-beer drinkers) liked it but both agreed it would be better on a hot summer day.

Overall, not really impressed, but I didn't have to be. This won't color my opinion of the brewery, as it's the only brew I had and I knew what I was getting myself into. I'll try their IPA before I write them off.

11-30-2009 04:58:59 | More by Mistofminn
Bighuge

2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

Hazed sun yellow boddy. Thin fluffy white head. Sporadic lace coats the glass in patches as I drink. Aroma is sweet, bright and melony. Interesting flavor, though it's not my thing. This is the first watermelon beer I've tried and may be the last. I don't get any real specific watermelon flavor other than a juicy sweetness. The wheat base is very average. Nothing really stands out here. Could drink some of these in summer if nothing else was available.

11-22-2009 03:00:15 | More by Bighuge
HURTemHIZZY

3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a fairly clear yellow. Little over a one finger pure white head. Head dissipates in a couple minutes and left a thin ring. Left an ok amount of lacing down the glass, nothing special.

Smells very watermelony, can't get much of anything else, maybe a bit of wheat. Not off putting, it actually makes me want to see what the beer is all about.

Tastes of some subtle watermelon, the flavor of which is nicely balanced by the wheat in this ale. Nice flavor, very clean finish.

Feels nicely carbonated at first, but doesnt finish with as much as it starts. Fairly light bodied.

I could drink a million of these. Nice flavor, but quite light bodied

11-16-2009 23:01:41 | More by HURTemHIZZY
dananabanana

3.93/5  rDev +19.5%

A: Hazy yellow with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Lots of fresh watermelon. Maybe a little wheat.

T: Fresh watermelon. It's good and sweet, but for the most part it's a one-note flavor. Some malt, and I'm not sure if there are hops or not. It's not a complex flavor, but it is very fun to drink.

M: Some bite in the back of the throat. Very bubby at first but calms down quickly.

D: Easy to drink. Refreshing. A great start for a summer barbecue or picnic.

11-16-2009 00:09:52 | More by dananabanana
muqingjing

3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Poured a clear yellow; not exactly what I expected from a wheat beer. Pretty sizable white head.

S: It has a faint hint of watermelon in the smell (not real watermelon, but something like a watermelon flavored jolly rancher). Smells clean and refreshing, though.

T: Somewhat yeasty, with a slight watermelon (once again, Jolly Rancher) flavor. It's not overbearing, but it's definitely there. However, the beer itself tastes a bit watery.

M: Fairly watery, pretty thin, and low on carbonation. Nothing too special.

D: Very very very easy to drink. It's thin, it's kind of watery, it's tastes decent. The novelty of the watermelon might wear off after just one can, but it's just super easy to drink a lot of this stuff.

Overall: It's definitely worth trying (at least for novelty sake). It's not a bad beer, but if you take out the watermelon aspect, this is just your run of the mill American wheat beer.

11-05-2009 09:04:51 | More by muqingjing
Lothore

A- Pours a cloudy orange hue with a thin, off white head that fades quickly.

S- lots of wheat and watermelon.

T- Watermelon all the way through with a bready, wheat base that balanced out the watermelon well.

M- Medium bodied with decent carbonation.

D- Not something i'd drink all the time but I think it is definitely an underrated beer.

11-05-2009 05:19:37 | More by Lothore
Gavage

3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: flat looking yellowish orange color with some spots of foam on the surface.

Smell: light watermelon aroma is all that is detectable.

Taste: very mild wheat profile with soft watermelon tones and little to no bitterness. Pretty one dimensional in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body. Mildly crisp throughout and a brief watermelon aftertaste leaves the mouth quickly.

Drinkability: this one did not do it at all for me as I had a hard time finishing the glass. Some props go out for a fruit beer in a can.

11-03-2009 13:17:44 | More by Gavage
mhatters

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Served in a pint glass, on-tap at Devil's Den in Philly

Pours a light yellowstraw color, with a medium white head that goes away quickly

There is watermelon in the nose! Fantastic! Not too sweet or fruity, some wheat and malt too. Had this as a gimmick, now interested in the beer.

Easy drinker - the fruit is subtle, - but there, not dominating but obvious.

Thin, a bit watery, but OK, great on a warm day

One was enough for me, no problems at all, just all I wanted.

10-18-2009 00:05:16 | More by mhatters
u2carew

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

A) Pours with a thin head. Lacing is thin and partially sticky. Hazy. Gold in color.
S) Citrus. Wheaty. Not very aromatic. Weak notes of watermelon.
T) Subtle watermelon mixed with light caramel notes. A slight hop bite. Grainy in the finish and beyond mixed with mellow watermelon.
M) Crisp. Light bodied. Mildly grainy and dry.
D) Nice summer day beer. Would've liked to taste more watermelon.

10-13-2009 21:54:39 | More by u2carew
garcia2a

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

The beer poured a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. I poured too fast, so I ended up with a tall head that dissipated rather quickly.

The nose is quite pleasant. Light, sweet grains with just a touch of yeast, citrus and candy. This did not really prepare me for the taste. I got the grains on the front of the mouth, but ended up with this jolly rancher back of the mouth taste and aftertaste. After a few sips, I could only discen the candy.

Even with that the mouthfeel is pretty good, the beer didn't cloy, but due to an anamnestic response to jolly rogers, I had this wierd "sticky" sensation.

If you like watermelon and jolly ranchers, this may be a beer for you. I could though give this one more try on a really hot day.

10-08-2009 18:53:46 | More by garcia2a
oldcrustacean

Connecticut

My favorite beer from my time spent in San Francisco.

I would ride to the brewery at lunch to enjoy a few -- always served with a slice of watermelon. Can't say I got much done those days.

Other times I'd pick up a growler to share with friends. Ten extra pounds of awkward weight on my bicycle, climbing steep San Francisco streets, meant that I had to earn this brew. Ever climb an 18% grade hill with 2 growlers on your back? I assure you it makes the beer taste that much better.

This is the best watermelon ale out there -- the flavor doesn't taste contrived. Hooker and Opa's watermelon ales taste a bit too artificial for my liking; a little too heavy on the extract. 21A gets it right.

Prost.

10-06-2009 18:34:10 | More by oldcrustacean
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: While coming out of a can, it pours well and had a nice head with a mild/pale golden color.
Smell: Has a rather earthy smell, not bad but not something too impressive
Taste: I actually like the subtle earthy taste of the watermelon. For me, it's a positive that the beer is not overly sweet. Other general reactions were not as good, but i enjoyed the taste.
Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, good crisp feel to it.
Drinkability: I was able to enjoy this, and I would continue to if it wasn't such a pricey beer.

I will give this brewery credit for their creativity. I do think it is difficult to get most beer nuts interested when serving something in a can.

09-30-2009 20:25:43 | More by pzrhsau
BWMKappaSig

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz bottle in weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden-yellow with a white head that falls quickly without much lacing.

S: Straw, watermelon, and a little malt in the nose. Sweet, but not in a candy watermelon way like other watermelon beers. The wheat smell is slightly offputing without the aid of spices most often found in wheat beers.

T: Wheat and a light fruity watermelon flavor that tastes very fresh. One again the wheat gives a straw-like impression, however, reminding me somewhat of a Triscuit or Shredded Wheat.

M: Similar to the Opa-Opa Watermelon in mouthfeel, a very light crisp beer, but leaving a residue in the back of the mouth.

D: For its type, the beer matches up well with others, but the grainy taste and smell leaves a little something to be desired. Crisp and refreshing, and miles above many other "lawnmower" beers, but nothing quite worthy of the massive praise it often recieves on certain beer podcasts.

09-11-2009 03:31:22 | More by BWMKappaSig
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.38/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, watermelon, citrus, light caramelized malts, citrus and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out fruity and a little bready with a strong watermelon sweetness followed by wheat and a hearty malt character. There's a mild hops presence that brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Smooth and crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, this a decent fruit beer to drink for a while, but unless you're in the mood for the watermelon flavor there isn't much to this beer that would make me want to drink it otherwise.

09-11-2009 02:33:03 | More by TheManiacalOne
qchic

Maryland

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

From the can, pours a pale yellow gold with slight haziness. The head fades to almost nothing, which is unimpressive, especially for a wheat beer. Aroma is acidic and slightly fruity with notes of lemon and green apple. Only because I am looking for it do I sense watermelon, but it smells like the combination of unsweet rind and watermelon candy. Fortunately, the flavor is more pleasant, more closely resembling the real fruit. It never strays too far from jolly rancher territory, but it's light and dry. A bit of a novelty, but it's certainly a creative effort with decent results. It's no problem at all drinking this one, so I wouldn't steer anyone away from trying this. I'm not sure that I would buy this again myself, but I was happy to finally get this one.

09-08-2009 22:09:07 | More by qchic
Soonami

3.93/5  rDev +19.5%

To begin with, you should only try this beer if you like watermelon, otherwise you will probably hate it.

A- The beer poured a hazy tan with a hint of pink. There was a little bit of a fizzy heady, but it quickly dissipated.

S- The smell is of spicy wheat and fresh watermelon rind

T- The beer started off a little tart from the wheat, but as it finished, the flavor of the watermelon really came through as did the sweetness.

M- Light and a little too thin on the palate

D- The watermelon flavor sold me, but those who don't like watermelon as much would rate this much lower in drinkability. I think that I could have 2 or 3 of these and that would be enough.

Great for an end of summer BBQ while downing spicy ribs and smoked brisket. I could also imagine having this at the beach

09-08-2009 12:58:11 | More by Soonami
ColForbinBC

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz can poured into a pint

A pale golden yellow body sits underneath an extremely foamy just off-white cap. Head takes its sweet time to face and leaves mild lacing. The body has a milky cloudiness with an average amount of visible carbonation.

Wheat leads the way on the nose. A lightly sweet aroma of fresh cut watermelon. Not really trying to be anything more than advertised.

Watery up front and then the watermelon comes in to round things out in the finish. I like the idea but this guy is just a little too watery for my tastes. A better base beer would lend to a much better flavor profile.

Thin and watery with a slightly sweet finish. Not that appealing.

Considering the light body and low abv, this is a pretty drinkable beer. However the flavor profile isn't enough to keep me coming back for more and more.

09-06-2009 20:31:11 | More by ColForbinBC
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

appearance - Cloudy yellow color, no head, just a line around the glass. Tries to retain lace but it can't.

smell - Wheat, zest, not sure if i smell watermelon...i think i do.

taste - Nice balance of watermelon and where here. Kind of an odd combo.

mouthfeel - Medium-light.

drinkability - Interesting falvor. Not bad for a hot day. Light and refreshing.

09-02-2009 18:41:22 | More by auxiliary
mikesgroove

South Carolina

I got a can of this one as an extra recently and decided to open in it up with lunch the other day. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was enjoyed on 08/30/2009.

The pour was very nice, light with a big fizzy white head on top. Lots of carbonation was visible throughout the session, really a very lively looking beer through the light yellow color. Aroma was light, small hop notes, hints of light candy, like a jolly rancher almost with a light touch of grain. Same goes for the taste. Clea, crisp and very refreshing it was an easy session beer for me. Very light, with a candy like aftetaste, it really did taste like they brewed it with a jolly rancher, just really had that kind of flavor. Not much aftertaste and to be honest it went down like water for me.

Overall nicely done. I would go here again, why not. A bit light for me to really call it a fruit beer, but I have had some damn nice fruit beers lately. Still more then decent though.

09-01-2009 00:59:34 | More by mikesgroove