Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
1.05/5  rDev -68.1%

A "gift" from my buddy Trey, which I found out later was intentionally a total joke. Thrown in as an extra to one of our regular beer swaps at the last minute. Watermelon wheat didn't sound too appealing, so I waited until now to try it.

I crack the can and take a whiff. I smell tin. Ok, well, that could just be the can. Let's see what it looks like...Bud Light has a more appealing color than this beer. This is the lightest beer I have ever come across. Not only is it completely uninspiring, it produces no head at all. The only thing that I can think of as I look at this is Maddox's reaction to children's art.

The smell, which I thought was only bad because it was in a can turns out to actually be putrid. It isn't just distorted in the aluminum can. It smells like fake watermelon, shrimp, and old tuna juice.

I wish I could explain the abomination that was this beer's flavor, but I could only get through two sips before I had to get rid of this beer. It starts with a sweet watermelon taste, but as soon as it really hits my tongue, that taste turns and yields a horrific tinny flavor. It makes my stomach lurch. Some people put wolf urine in their yards to ward off deer. I poured this along my property line to achieve the same effect.

I imagine that if the flavor was good, the feel would be OK, but the fact that this beer made my mind go down the "I never want to drink again," path, and I wasn't even hungover makes me unable to give this anything even reasonably good. I think that the remainder of this beer should be donated to attractive young women everywhere in lieu of mace. Holy shit this is awful. Satan himself couldn't spawn something this evil.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light straw-colored yellow with thick, white head. Some floaties in the brew; appears to be the watermelon.

Smells residually sweet, with a bit of grain and breadedness from the wheat.

Watermelon flavor is apparent but not overwhelming, and complements the brew rather nicely. The clean graininess of an all-malt lager, with a hop finish offering a bigger bite than expected. No big breaded/wheat elements tho, unfortunately.

Solid hot-weather beer with clean, crisp body.

This is good for what it is. If you don't want watermelon in your beer, then don't drink it. If you're seeking a lighter-bodied fruit beer which doesn't overwhelm with its added element, you will enjoy this unique offering.

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

I like a good fruit beer when it's done well. And this one is OK. Nothing earth-shattering, but good. And at the very least, something different and fun to have on a hot summer day.

A: Poured a dark golden, almost amber color. Typical hefeweizen hue. Head retention and lacing were lacking, though it could have been the glassware.

S: Clovey/smokey weizen yeast character and notes of fresh watermelon.

T: Light and good hefeweizen flavor, erring on the phenolic end. No banana. The watermelon isn't overpowering, but it is very forward. I can tell by the taste that the watermelon flavor isn't coming artificially or from extract. Reading the can further my suspicion is confrimed. Considering no extract was used, I was impressed with the amount of watermelon flavor that was actually able to be incorporated into the beer. The hefeweizen character and watermelon flavor, while they do pair nicely, don't really come together to create a complex beer. The fruit and yeast flavors remain separated on the palate.

M: An adequate amount of body for a wheat beer. Makes me think the head retention issue is not the fault of the beer but my glass.

D: Very light and quaffable. I could definitely sit out in the sun and enjoy it.

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from the can

A - Slightly hazy yellow with an inch or so of pretty vigorous head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass. No lacing, carbonation not very visible.

S - All around pretty light in the nose; I pick up some sugary sweetness and some yeasty aroma and that's about it.

T&M - Very sweet and sugary; there is certainly watermelon flavors, but unfortunately it tastes like artificial watermelon to me; it reminds me of a watermelon flavored gum I used to buy as a kid. Carbonation is very light. The mouthfeel is soft and fluffy, but there is something going on here that coats my mouth and is not pleasant.

D - I suppose I see a market for this, but this isn't for me. The watermelon is artificial tasting, and I find the sweetness slightly cloying. I'm not even going to finish what I poured; the wife is going to have to take one for the team.

3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Pours a light hazy yellow with virtually no head that quickly disappears. No lacing to speak of. Carbonation starts out strong, but quickly turns into just a few bubbles here and there. Overall, not a very good looking beer.

S - The smell immediately reminded me of bud heavy from the can. Upon taking a second sniff, it seems to just be the combination of watermelon and wheat that give it an off smell. The smell isn't making me want to drink this any more than the appearance.

T - Wow! The appearance and smell don't lead on to what the beer will taste like at all for this one. Don't take this to mean it is absolutely amazing, because it isn't, but it is immensely better than the scent puts on. Very light wheat taste with a constant watermelon background. Very subtle, but it's there. I wanted this beer to be more complex than that, but it just isn't. There's no hops, no malt background, just wheat and watermelon.

M - Good mouthfeel. The light body and moderate carbonation give this beer slightly more for the mouth to focus on than the simple taste. A good smooth summer beer.

D - Very drinkable beer, but what do you expect for it's simplicity and average ABV. You could easily go through a sixer of these at a BBQ or on the beach.

It was good, but I don't know that I will be getting it again at the current price tag near me. Good for the novelty of the beer, but nothing else really.

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz can into pint glass.

The appearance is of a cloudy pale yellow with a thin white head that dissipates very quickly. The aroma is faint, but it actually does have some watermelon notes to it, though there is really not much else going on besides that and some pretty simple base malt notes. The flavor is surprisingly of watermelon and is enjoyable, but besides the nice watermelon flavor and a some slight grassy notes, as in the aroma, there is not very much offered. I would like to see some more malts as this has the potential to be a very unique and enjoyable beer. The mouthfeel is nothing too great either, as it is decently carbonated with a bit of a light body.
And while the watermelon flavor is a pleasant and unique twist, the lack of much body or other flavor notes really takes away from the overall enjoyability of this beer.

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured this from a can into a pint glass. Kinda of a hazy light yellow. There was a big fluffy white head but it really didn't last long. Gone by the time I finished typing my first sentence. No real lacing. Lots of tiny bubbles floating to the top. I hope this was a good choice to pair with my pizza. I smell wheat and grains but not much watermelon. I really expected more watermelon. None the less, it doesn't smell bad. This beer is pretty two dimensional. Wheat and watermelon. Bubbalicious gum. I feel like I chewed this in little league. Decent mouth feel, the carbonation is great and the watermelon flavor is novel, glad I picked this up. Easy to kill beer, probably great for a hot day. Glad to pair it with my pizza.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz can to pint glass.

A: Head retention is extremely short. a bronze to light copper appearance, with a slightly unfiltered look.

S: Watermelon and wheat, I guess what they were going for.

T: a wheat and watermelon taste are the predominant tastes, with a very low complexity of other flavors.

M: Short of flushes past with low flavor and minimal feel in the mouth. Lingering taste not present.

D: Can +1, but not my style. For those fruit/wheat people you may enjoy. Not heavy on the way down and easy to drink. Although does not scream back for another analysis.

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

This wheat ale pours hazy pale yellow in color and had a pretty decent two finger white head following a medium pour, but has now settled to a thin lace after just a few minutes or so.

I expected more watermelon in the aroma, but it pretty much smells like a mild wheat beer.

Ah, there's the watermelon. It comes through nicely in the taste. Not too much though. Just enough.

Thin mouthfeel with moderate to low carbonation.

I could easily drink a few of these on a hot summer day like today.

Morey's Bottom Line: Nothing I would purchase on a regular basis, but definitely worth trying. Good for your wife or some of your pansy guy friends. It is actyally kind of refreshing after a long days work out in the yard.

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

A: Poured a cloudy light gold color with a nice white head.

S: Nose is light wheat and faint watermelon.

T: Taste is a good balance but thin as well. Wheat up front but I tasted the watermelon from beginning to end

M: Mouthfeel was nice, light and crisp.

D: I could drink these all day long!

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: hazy golden straw color with a thin white head lasting only seconds. No rising co2 bubbles.

Aroma: mainly a wheat aroma followed by a yeast aroma. This yeast aroma is not of cloves or banana esters just a "muddy" yeast nose. No watermellon aroma either.

flavor: strong wheat with no other malt coming through. Also nohops at all nor any of this watermellon I hear about.

Mouthfeel: This beer is lightly carbonated, and fairly thin. As for balance it just tastes like an average wheat.

Drinkability: Don't get me wrong this is not a bad beer. There is nothing about it that I fully dislike about it. My issues with this beer is that there is no watermellon aroma or flavor (which is the reason my old lady convinced me to put down that ipa to buy this instead). I enjoyed the wheat & is an ok american wheat with nothing really standing out to set this beer apart from the others. While it's not a bad beer it is not worth the price I paid for this 6 pack. I would rather spend my money on another choice in the same style of beers. Note: if you see a single bottle pick it up & give it a try.

pours a slightly hazy yellow color with good white fluffy head, good lacing, and average carbonation. i don't want to bash beer, but.... this beer was absolutley disgusting. i don't see how anyone could drink this. now, i'm hoping that maybe i just got some from a bad batch or something. it was brand new in my local bottle shop so i know it wasn't old. it had a nasty fish like smell and taste. so much so me and two other BA's couldn't make it past a few sips. all three beers got poured out. just to make sure i popped the rest of the sixer and it was the same in them all. avoid this shit at all cost!

3.3/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a pale golden-yellow color with 2-3 inches of white head and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of wheat, grain, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Tastes of wheat, fruit, and sweet malts. Hints of watermelon, not not that much

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbontion. Crisp and easy to drink.

d - A very easy to drink beer but nothing crazy. If you like wheat/bread and hints of watermellon you might enjoy this one more. Probably wouldn't have again.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This one is a heavily clouded light golden color. The white head pours out fizzy and sits for a short while before dying away, leaving very light lacing behind.
There's a slightly tart aroma with an earthy note and just a very light touch of watermelon in the nose. Wheat is here as well. It's a bit dull.
It seems pretty evident that there's a very real watermelon flavor in this one; this is a plus for the flavor in that it's what one might expect, but, on the other hand, it seems to water down the beer itself. There's a light wheat presence underneath. It has very little malt presence and a mild hops bitterness. There's also an unmistakable metallic tinge to this. I've had the IPA and I had to try another of these from a different store to be sure, but it's inescapable and not a product of canning.
While seeming watered down, the body is a light to medium and not too thin for the style. it does lack zip, though, and there's just enough of a crisp bite and tame smoothness to place it above average.
This isn't bad, and it's certainly natural, I just really need a bit more strength and depth.

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance - pours a lemony color, a fizzy but short lived cap of white on top.

Aroma - light graininess, a trace of general sweetness but not attributable to any particular fruit.

Taste - light grain, definite watermelon flavor, on the lighter side. A certain snap afterwards of hop or some other light sourness, not real sure what it is. Ends cleanly enough, again with little focus on the sweet and more on the fruit, pretty nice balance.

Mouthfeel - light, crisp, what you would expect from a fruity wheat.

Drinkability - no problem knocking these back. It gets the full gamut of reviews from the fire pit crowd.

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

I discovered this beer when looking for something new at the liquor store tonight. I've always like watermelon beer, so I figured that I'd give it a shot. I wasn't sure about the can but since I poured it into a glass, it didn't really matter. The beer poured with a strong head that quickly disappeared. It's a yellow straw color. The smell is of wheat and watermelon but also of sour popcorn if you can imagine that. The taste makes up for any faults in smell and appearance. It tastes like a light wheat beer with a watermelon aftertaste. The watermelon taste is real and not artificial or too sweet. It reminds me more of actual watermelon and less of watermelon bubblegum. This is a good summer beer that goes down smooth.

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to RocPorterFanatic for hooking us up. Review from notes on 4/23/10.

A - mild haze, rich straw yellow. Short lived white head, no lace. 3.5

S - Very much like an American wheat, hint of sourness, yeast. 3.0

T - Lots of wheat. Lacks watermelon taste but it could pass nicely as an American wheat. 3.0

M - Light and crisp. As it should. 4.0

D - Very nicely drinkable. A lawnmower beer for sure. 4.0

Poured into a pint glass. What started as a puffy cloud of a head disappeared entirely when I looked away for a moment. No lacing. Grainy, earthy yellow color - unfiltered. Nothing special.

Oh yeah, you can smell watermelon, faintly. Doesn't smell artificial, which is good, however, it's more of the character of watermelon, but lacking the sweetness of it. Hops - hard time detecting. A wheat scent is present but it's undermined by the melon.

You do end up getting a little more of the sweet tang of watermelon in the taste. The quality of the wheat backbone is average. Tiny hint of bitterness. Just about no carbonation.

For a watermelon wheat beer, hardly exceeds expectations. Drink a couple and it won't hurt.

NOTE: tried this again mid-April '13 on tap at the brewpub in San Fran and it was quite different experience - first off, they provide a fat wedge of watermelon with each glass - cheesy, but necessary - the taste has a hell of a lot more watermelon sweetness and fruit flavor - the beer itself sports more of a doughy malt flavor and, with more of a frothy carbonation on the palate, it ends up being quite enjoyable, refreshing and moreish.
A: 4.5, S: 4.25, T: 4.25, M: 4, T: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance: Pale yellow, minimal white head. Looks like a light commercial beer almost.

Aroma: Smells fresh and sweet with hints of cotton candy. Definitely does not smell like artificial jolly-rancher watermelon flavor, which I was afraid of. In fact, there really isn't much watermelon on the nose at all, just sweetness.

Taste: Minimal watermelon taste, with slightly bitter aftertaste lingering. Most certainly does not taste how I expected it to - that is, like cloyingly fake watermelon. Mostly just tastes how it smells, sweet like cotton candy with a crisp freshness that I like.

Mouthfeel: Minimal carbonation, feels very creamy in the mouth.

Drinkability: Pretty high. Though I wouldn't add this to my usual rotation of beers, I can see it being a BBQ or summer beach staple. It is light and very easy to put back a couple.

Notes: For some reason, this beer tastes much better directly out of the can. When poured into a glass, some of the creaminess is lost, which I feel really detracts from the overall experience of the beer.

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A: Light in color with a lot of bubbles. Very little head and no lacing.

S: Not a big nose, the watermelon is there, but faintly and not a lot else.

T: The watermelon is apparent on the front, but fades relatively fast. As the beer warms the watermelon flavor last a little bit longer. I wish it was a little bit stronger overall. The wheat flavor is pretty obvious here too.

M/D: Easy to drink, and would probably be better on a hot day outside. I could see myself bringing it to a BBQ or dinner, but I probably wouldn't drink more than one, and would give the rest out.

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass at around 42F.

A - Light straw colored body that is slightly hazy with over 2-finger white head. No lacing whatsoever.

S - Little going on here - some wheat for sure is there, and the watermelon is detectable, but the overall scent is quite mild, and one-sided. No hops to speak of.

T - Well, no aluminum for me so that is a plus. Otherwise, this comes off as a very mild wheat beer with the additive watermelon that is quite forward actually. It is surely not an unpleasant taste, but doesn't taste nearly as good as it sounded when I first saw the sixer and decided to try it. No hops to speak of here either. Drink it cold - the taste worsens as it warms...

M - Hmm, BMC-like in it's wateriness. Pretty high carbonation, but a 3 rating is probably generous here.

D - Sure, its good in that this could be refreshing on a hot day, but it surely does leave one disappointed in the overall package. Perhaps good to bring to a summer BBQ, but not really the type of beer to savor.

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

A- Poured from the can with a diffuse white head. Little bits of lacing over a hazy pale yellow body. Virtually no visible carbonation.

S- Smells of tart wheat and watermelon rind. No hop aroma. Overall, a weak nose that lacks complexity.

T- Tastes of soft wheat and light pale malts, which have been made into a mild wheat ale and then blended with watermelon juice before serving. The watermelon character tastes natural, and is not overpowering. No hop flavor detected... Overall the flavor is light and refreshing.

M- Thin and watery, with a soft carbonation and mild astringency.

D- Drinks well enough. I would only go for this on a hot summer day, in mass quantities, and served cold.

4.15/5  rDev +26.1%

Lots of beer kindofsewers don't like beers made with fruit. I've learned to have an open mind about the fruits, and it is rewarding.

Even the sales person and World Wines in Mentor where I bought this made disparaging remarks about it. Well she was wrong. Watermelon is actually a pretty good pairing with wheat beer. It's a complementary tanginess that works.

I only bought one can but I can see buying more of this.

Can from trade:

Pours a hazey straw colored wheat ale in the flute. 2 finger rocky cap doesn't last well but laces the glass moderately. Lively artificial carbonation.

Aroma is quite pleasant: wheaty biscuit tones with fruits and musty melon. Light bodied, peppery mouth feel. Tastes almost like it smells but the melon is more detectable, yet not offensively overpowering or synthetic. Finish is dry, clean crisp.

Great little summer sipper. I like it and I usually don't like fruit beer.

1.48/5  rDev -55%

Cans served at Dirty Franks in Columbus. Morbid curiosity brought me to try this one.

Those of you who read my reviews might notice I dont have very much mean to say about any beers, if I review a macro its because it meant something to me in the past. Well this review might be a change of pace.

A- Oh man this might be one of the least appetizing beers Ive ever seen. Its worse than most macros. I poured this myself into a pint glass and still I get really no head, no lacing, no effervescence, no signs of life what so ever. The color is a strangely hazy (not fully or not partially hazy either, just sort of grimy) yellow.

S- Wheaty and yeasty. Its trying to have smells of a good hefe... There is some banana and clove. The rich banana bread smells of a good wheat beer are not there. There really isnt any watermelon in the smell.

T- Aluminum is what I got first. I mean I heard of many macros tasting like the can they came out of but this one is the first where I actually notice that taste. Once you get past the galvanized taste the beer starts out straight wheaty and yeasty. It then promptly breaks into an artificial, candy like watermelon taste. Its just like watermelon Jolly Ranchers. The finish is yet more wheat and some spice.

D- I didnt even finish my glass. The alcohol is low, this is a sweet beer. People who arent used to stronger, more flavorful beers might like this. Personally I think its a waste.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery