Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
DovaliHops

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

You guys are tripping... My girlfriend talked me into buying this beer. I went into it with very low expectations...but I was very impressed. I find it to be very tasty for a light beer. I can see myself drinking many off these at a tailgate party or something like that. For not being my style in beer, this was pretty good.

02-24-2010 10:02:40 | More by DovaliHops
mralphabet

1.5/5  rDev -54.4%

Pour Can into Pint Glass

A: Hazy and orange in color, big 2 finger soapy head that dissipates to a nice ring of foam. Little lacing but not much. Looks like a nice wheat.

S: Watermelon rind... Green watermelon rind. It is had to get past it.... the next thing I'm getting it is some sweet malt and a little wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent

T: Wow the watermelon rind is here as well.... and strong. There is also a mild sweetness and a slight hint of citrus.

M: Mid to light bodied with good carbonation. A little more filling than most wheat beers I've had.

D: The taste killed it for more so not very drinkable for me....

Maybe I'm missing something but what I was getting was not enjoyable to me...

I will not let this hold me back from trying another 21st Amendment Brew.

02-22-2010 00:59:01 | More by mralphabet
rootbeerman

2.98/5  rDev -9.4%

poured into duvel tulip

A: pour sort of scared me, i though i saw green beer, but in glass it looks like a typical wheat ale, half finger white layer of foam. cloudy golden color.
S: a more watermelon rind like aroma, that green rind vegetable smell, also slight sweet malt and yeast. and of coarse wheat.
T: one of the few times im actually kind of scared to take a sip. ok, not that bad beer wise, good wheat and yeast character, slight banana and clove, as well as sweet malt. The but is the watermelon, its defiantly not what i was expecting, tastes a bit too much of the green rind with a candy fake watermelon hiding deep in the back row.
M: overall smooth mild carbonation, slightly coating.
D: i may be slightly off put by flavor of the watermelon, but it is oddly easy to put down.

02-21-2010 05:13:13 | More by rootbeerman
mobyviacheslov

Washington

2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

A - I chose to drink this one from the can since that's a large part of their marketing for their beers. However, I haven't seen anything stating whether or not their intent is for you to pour it into a glass or not. The cans state that they keep a beer fresher, and then talks about recycling, etc... I would assume that the intent to to pour into a proper glass, and let the beer warm up to the proper temperature, though this takes much longer with a can coming out of a fridge. So, I said fuck it, and drank it right out of the can.

S - It smelled very fruity/watermellony(its a word), but almost candy like...very bubbalicious watermelon gum. There was also a "skunky" smell coming off of it that reminded me of imported german lagers or "turned" green bottle lagers.

T - I was surprised by the subtlty of the watermelon flavor, and the utter lack of wheat characteristics. This basically tastes like a macro-lager with a subtle watermelon undertone. I will try it again in a glass and warm it up to see if it opens up a bit. All-in-all, its not a bad beer, its simply unremarkable.

D - It was actually very drinkable... if you're looking for an easy drinking, refreshing macro-lager type beer to down 10 or 15 of at a party, but you still want to feel superior to people slamming natty light, this would work well.

Serving type: 12oz Can, no glass, 40 deg

02-21-2010 03:56:48 | More by mobyviacheslov
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

Can label reads agitate before opening, what's wrong with waiting to agitate while the beer is in the last couple inches of the bottom. I just had the draft Live Free or Die IPA at Mad Mex so instead of the canned IPA I opted for a six of this and a four pack of the Monk's Blood since I've never seen or heard of that one. This one pours a clouded lemonade esque golden sunshine hue with bright white head forming and dissipating quickly. Minimal speckled lacing is left on the sides of my glass. Aromatics offer up a tame laid back sweetness from the sharp citrus wheat back bone. Fruity watermelon layers with pretty much absent hop additions. I like the low alcohol fruit vibe kick every now and again. A chalky yeast and minimal floral note wrapped within the watermelon puree, this stuff smells inviting and not candy sweet which is definitely a good thing. Flavor is light with juicy edges almost like bubblegum edges to it, but the watermelon puree acts as a refresher in this mix. Some hard mineral water action with a yeast wheat infused malt backbone, really straight forward flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky but not syrupy in anyway smooth ample carbonation levels, it's nice to see this available in the Burgh at Giant Eagle Marketplace. Drinkability was easy going a refreshing summer time beer that I'm sure will go over with the ladies out there. For me it was worth the experience but this isn't something that is going to replace the session IPA or pale ale anytime soon.

02-20-2010 21:24:38 | More by WVbeergeek
flagmantho

Washington

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: hazy light golden color with very little head. Not bad, but not very exciting.

Smell: a little sweet and just a tiny hint of watermelon. There's also a little sourness, but really, the aroma is too low-volume to appreciate much.

Taste: much more watermeloney than the aroma. There is a touch of citrusy wheat flavor in the malt and the watermelon is thankfully nice and understated. It's not my favorite beer in the world, but it is pretty interesting.

Mouthfeel: medium, medium-light body with an OK level of carbonation. It's alright.

Drinkability: pretty refreshing and moderately drinkable. It's not fantastic, but would do in a pinch on a hot day.

02-20-2010 02:06:56 | More by flagmantho
cpetrone84

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

A-couldy straw colored beer almost resembling, sorry to say it, urine. Thin bubbly head that disspates quickly and leaves no lace behind

S-the nose is boozy like rum soaked strawberry with hints of clove and banana. The yeast is present and mixed into the straberry booze.

T/M-taste follows the nose, alcohol soaked strawberries that blend into some notes of clove and banana. smooth and creamy, light body, crisp finish, highly carbonated throughout.

D-easy drinking and somewhat sweet, suprisingly it shows alcohol with such a low alc beer.

02-17-2010 23:49:31 | More by cpetrone84
kirkmichel

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Not going to do a full review on this right now, but I think this is pretty decent; not very complex in the initial taste, but the watermelon is very well done. Since I'm in the middle of a snowstorm in February, I think it will be better if I re-review this beer in the warmer months, and when i'm not in the midst of a beer tasting marathon!

But if you like fruited beers, you'll enjoy this - just don't expect tremendous complexity.

...
After a summer of drinking this periodically, my review:

Appearance -- Pours a clear pale gold, with a minimal white head. Surprised that it doesn't have more umph in the carbonation since it is canned, but I'm not exactly sure why I expected that.

Smell - Toasty malt, wheat, very slight sweet watermelon, and a bit of hops. It really doesn't smell much like I was expecting - more like malt than fruit or fresh wheat, but still like good beer!

Taste - This tastes like a wheat beer, but the aftertaste is a bit like that weird taste cereal leaves in your mouth. I'm not sure what the correct descriptor is for that. The malt seems more prominent than in most good wheat beers, but it's still well balanced, and it has a nice tinge of jolly rancher watermelon. What is lacking is complexity - probably needs more fruit and some other flavors/spices added to round it out. In other words, I love the idea of this beer, so I'm hoping they experiment with the formula a little bit more for next summer.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light body with low carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm still a fan of this for hot outdoor events during the summer - it sure beats a miller light! Heavy enough to feel like you're actually drinking something, but light enough that you could have a few because it's easy on the palate. A great summer beer.

02-15-2010 23:05:28 | More by kirkmichel
goldbot

District of Columbia

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a murky tannish copper color. Small white had which dissipates with spotty lacing. The smell is odd, there is some watermelon but also a heavy, earthy wheat smell that mostly covers it up. The taste is more watermelon, not too bad really but a bit on the watery side. Plenty of wheat flavor here as well. Body is on the thin and watery side. Overall this is not the best fruit beer I've had, the flavors behind the watermelon don't really back it that well, making for a beer where the fruit aspect is good but the rest is not really.

02-15-2010 18:04:00 | More by goldbot
garymuchow

2.83/5  rDev -14%

Good marketing for this brewery and beer. Let's see how it holds up for experience.
The watermelon has a sweet fruity quality that isn't quite what I'd expect for watermelon. Also contains a bit of a vegetable quality too. Kinda' summer vegatable garden. Not that enticing.
Head left very quickly and quite loudly. Mostly clear golden and lots of bubbles rising in Sam Adams glass.
Taste is like aroma in that it's more generic vegatable than sweet watermelon. More the greens than the sweet fruit or meat. Mildly dry with a touch of hop bitterness. Certainly holds Am. wheat style qualities.
Feel is right for style with ample carbonation.
Not what I expected and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't seek this out on it's own. Now I'm gonna' try this with lunch (a "big salad") and it might do quite well with that, otherwise I'd generally pass.

02-05-2010 17:24:13 | More by garymuchow
cleeze

Maine

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

Now I've been wanting to try me so 21st amendment for a quick minute now, and was pumped when I came across it at Julio's.

Appearance was was a slightly hazy pale yellow. Yellow and fizzy, so far no good.

Smell was very bland. not much there. fruity and crisp hops.

Taste had very little watermallon. I was expecting more melon for sure. Pale malts, and mild hops.

crisp light mouthfeel

02-05-2010 07:57:21 | More by cleeze
DrDemento456

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

Got this for 1.99 at a Beer Nutz store in Fox Chapel

A - Drank it from the can but could assume it's a pale yellow color.
S - Man it smells great! Almost like Jolly Ranchers! I hope it at least tastes good.
T - Meh. That's really it. The great smell is replaced by a sub par lager taste with little or no watermelon to speak of.
M - I rarely throw out a brew but I couldn't get more than 75 percent down without gagging.
D - wouldn't want to try anymore of their beers! I think they just take MGD and ferment it with an artificial fruit flavor and mark up the cost.

My rating is fair but please avoid if you can!

02-04-2010 01:25:56 | More by DrDemento456
dougofthefuture

1.48/5  rDev -55%

Bought a single can to give it a try. I want to like 21st Amendment...

A - Very pale cloudy yellow. No head, little lacing.

S - Smells like slightly rotting organic matter. Maybe the insides of a pumpkin. Maybe the watermelon rinds after two weeks in the hot sun. It certainly has a strong smell, but it's the least appealing smell I've ever found in a beer. Near gag reflex. I can't stress this enough. This smells awful. I never drain pour a beer. I'm close on this one, and I've never tasted it!

T & M - See above. Imagine that ambiguous rotting organic matter is now soaked in Miller Lite, and then rung out into a can. For good measure, I imagine this can was probably left in the sun another couple of hours. The only positive is my breath is now watermelony fresh. That's the first I really noticed the watermelon, and I hope it never finds its way into a beer again.

D - You'll have to ask my drain on this one. I have no intentions of finishing this.

This is the worst beer I've had in a VERY long time...

01-29-2010 02:11:42 | More by dougofthefuture
rbouton

1.78/5  rDev -45.9%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why.

01-24-2010 06:35:54 | More by rbouton
JerseyDevil980

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

The best part of this beer is the aroma, it's a pale yellow in color although I did only pour out a small amount for color review and drank it from the can as intended with this brew. I found the taste bland and for a beer hyped on watermelon with watermelon juice added the sweetness is non-existent. The finish is boring not leaving you with much of anything and not overly desire more.

01-18-2010 21:18:21 | More by JerseyDevil980
jjanega08

3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

A= Pours a fizzy translucent yellow color with a small half finger head that falls fast and leaves no lacing on the glass. Really unimpressive for a wheat beer. The beer looks sort of sad as I stare at it with the bubbles coming up top to contribute to the absence of a head making their lives meaningless.

S= quite pungent I could smell it from a couple feet away after I poured it which is nice. Smells like a typical macro lager with candy flavored watermelon in it.... there's a touch of wheat in the smell just enough to make it smell like a wheat with watermelon. To be honest I've never smelled a watermelon like this tough. I've smelled lots of candy like this but no watermelon and I love watermelon.

T= Very similar to the smell. The taste is similar to a macro lager only with a nice wheat and watermelon touch. The wheat is just enough to make the middle of the sip crisp and refreshing and the finish a little citrusy. The watermelon is like candy of course only I don't notice it upon the initial sips only after I swallow do I notice the residual candy taste.

M= Low carbonation crisp and refreshing. Not bad at all. Actually sort of on point and fitting. I would say for a regular wheat it should be more carbonated and spritzy but this is fine.

D= Not a bad beer by any means and I will buy it again some summer day I'm sure but it's a little dissapointing for a wheat beer and the taste is very candyish. Not bad though.

01-16-2010 00:01:52 | More by jjanega08
DavidSeanNJ

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

First off, a six pack of this beer is wayyyy too expensive. Very very cool concept though. The can has nice looking artwork.

12 oz. can poured into a standard pint glass

A- Pale light golden color. Cloudy. Small thin head.

S- Tart and sour watermelon. Reminded me of sour patch kids. Wheat and grass scents.

T- Another one dimensional beer. Tasted like a coors light with some watermelon. Kudos to 21st Amendment for having the watermelon flavor very suttle yet noticable.

M- Very light bodied. Very low on carbonation.

D- This could be good at a summer barbecue. I will try it again in the summer to see if it has improved.

01-11-2010 16:32:10 | More by DavidSeanNJ
nrbw23

1.58/5  rDev -52%

A- Pours a pretty clear pale gold color with a thin white head. Head is gone almost instantly and leaves no lacing.

S- Doesn't have a watermelon smell at all. Smells like a Bud light not really picking up a whole lot.

T- Taste is mostly yeast and wheat flavours. With a touch of a fruit in there maybe its watermelon but wouldn't count on it. It reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

D- Wow this is terrible. I sadly report I couldn't finish this one and I actually looked forward to this one.

01-11-2010 08:38:56 | More by nrbw23
tempest

2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

Picked up a single at Princeton Liquors. This is my second watermelon beer, but isn't as good as that Roy Pitz I had. While generally clean and interesting, the flavor isn't terribly pleasant - coming off like triscuits and cucumber salad. Sure, it kinda tastes like watermelon, but it's like the rind and seeds got ground up in added into the juice. No fun.

01-08-2010 22:55:09 | More by tempest
Minotaur

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Once in a while you are presented with something you are sure will be atrocious and turns out to be well... just different.

I could review this according to the traditional run through of Serving to Drinkability.

But instead I will say it is predominantly a light wheat beer with all of those characteristics. The watermelon comes in at the end of the sip and is not particularly overbearing. It is in fact a highly palatable beer. It is reminiscent of the watermelon Jolly Rancher or lollipop.

There is less aftertaste than you would expect and the beer has a decent body to it.

having said all this I would not drink a full can of it; it is so far from my taste in beer I can't imagine wasting the blood alcohol and calories on it.

However if you think you may like a wheat beer with a zing of slightly sour, slightly sweet watermelon. In my opinion the watermelon has ruined a good wheat beer in lieu of complimenting it. Thus the reduced taste rating. However this is largely about my aversion to this style versus a flaw in the brewing.

01-04-2010 14:55:05 | More by Minotaur
alysmith4

District of Columbia

2.45/5  rDev -25.5%

Interesting beer. I can't say I'd ever think of combining watermelon with beer (nor do I really enjoy fruity beers), but I was looking forward to trying this one when some friends brought it over. It had a decent aroma.. definitely wheat with juicy watermelon undertones. The taste was like a hefe that had a dissolved watermelon jolly rancher in it! Kind of odd, but drinkable none-the-less. I can't say I'd look forward to having this beer again, but I woudn't turn it down if it were offered to me either.

12-28-2009 19:56:15 | More by alysmith4
jorg2619

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

I had heard of 21 A and was excited to try one of their beers. This was my first watermelon flavored beer. the pour was a pale thin looking beer with a fluffy almost white head which dies quickly after pouring. the beer smells like (suprise) watermelon. The taste is balanced with a low alcohol content, very little if any hops and a very subtle touch of watermelon flavor. I am impressed that they pulled this beer off.

12-22-2009 22:55:42 | More by jorg2619
WesWes

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light, pale and wheat malt scent along with a strange breadiness and a weak watermelon aroma. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pale and wheat malt flavor with a mild watermelon character. It's got a weird taste to it, but I guess it's the fruit. I'm not used to watermelon flavored beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an above average beer, but nothing I would buy again.

12-22-2009 00:24:20 | More by WesWes
albern

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

What's not to like about this beer. It is loaded with carbonation, it's a slightly pale golden color, not much head, with a nose that has plenty of lemony floral characteristics, and yes, I think I get a whiff of the watermelon too. Thre is a slightly prickly mouthfeel from the wheat, which adds a bit of texture to what would otherwise be a pretty water fare. The beer is refreshing. The taste is more of a sweet fruity concoction but there is a definite watermelon presence throughout. Watermelon is not a strongly flavored fruit, unlike a strawberry or blueberry, and I think that is true as an adjunct in beer as well. The watermelon is not overpowering, more subtle and well blended with the other fruit flavors. There is no real aftertaste to the beer. It's light, it's fun, what's not to like.

12-20-2009 13:10:04 | More by albern
BDLbrewster

2.5/5  rDev -24%

Pours a slightly hazy bright golden yellow with maple undertones. For some reason I expected a bright red brew....

The smell is fairly faint, what I pick up most is melon rind. This beer smells like something that you rarely get whiffs of, real watermelon. This smells like natural watermelon, not that fake jolly rancher type watermelon flavor we've been trained to associate with this big green melon. All that said, coupled with the wheaty alcohol notes the watermelon comes off strange.

The taste mirrors the smell very well. The base beer is pretty flavorless as far as I can tell. The watermelon is the star here, but that's about it. This beer is simply watermelon beer, subdued bitter flavors of chewing melon rind. You can make this at home by drinking any wheat beer from a watermelon.

Mouthfeel is light, airy and watery. Carbonation is on the low end and the finish is somewhat dry.

Overall, I am not a big fan here. Muted flavors make this beer come off a bit gimmicky. I'm sure there are tons of people that like this beer just fine, but I think that one is going to be plenty enough for me.

12-16-2009 23:28:03 | More by BDLbrewster