Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
2.4/5  rDev -27.1%

A watermelon beer? This would be a new style for me. The can says watermelon juice is added. Hmm.

A - Poured a light golden color. Looks like a typical wheat beer to me with a little foam on the head.

S - Definitely fruity with some wheat.

T - This just does not do it for me. The watermelon is overdone and leaves this not really tasting like beer. Perhaps part of the problem was drinking this beer on a cold winter night when it might hit the spot on a summer picnic. Maybe I would try it again in those circumstances.

M/D - A little sticky and light carbonation on the tongue. Sweet. I wouldn't really want more than one of these despite the low ABV.

4.2/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can.

Pours a light honey gold color with almost a greenish hue. No visibility through the wheaty cloud. A white head soon turns into a ring. Smell is remarkably crisp, I get many light green fruit tones, like pear and apple, and some light grains. Taste is very bright and crisp. The watermelon really serves as a nice backing, without too much sweetness and just a little tartness. Finishes dry, with a little hops bitterness and lingering watermelon sweetness. Pretty good, and my favorite fruit-added beer I've sampled. I could drink a bunch of these on a hot day..

1.43/5  rDev -56.5%

I was really excited to find an adventurous beer in a can in the liquor store. Turns out it was TOO adventurous. I ended up having to draw straws every round of beers and give it to the loser just to get rid of it.

This beer tasted watered down and that may have been the best part of it. I don't mean to be cruel but so far on this site it had a B-. Someone must have been grading on a curve

1.88/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a straw yellow with minimal head, no lacing. Smells very earthy, almost like a spinach or collard greens!?; a little bit of watermelon comes through.

Taste- Wow, dissapointed, it taste's like spinach. I don't know if this is an old can or what but I feel like popeye should be drinking this; mouthfeel is average. Drinkability is low because I'm assuming that this is supposed to be a refreshing beer. I don't think I can finish this. Maybe it's an old can but I only bought it about a month ago.

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz can into a Kloster Andechs glass. First beer review since trekking across the Gulf of Mexico for 45 days.

HoHWW pours with a fizzy, bright straw-golden hue. An eggshell head is retained only by virtue of the insanely active carbonation level. Slight fruity sweetness to the nose, but the majority of the aroma is crusty wheat grains and cereal.

The flavor brings an initial squirt of Starburst-like watermelon flavor, but it's very artificial and doesn't last long. It quickly gives way to stale wheat and a cooked veggie presence. Mouthfeel is bubbly and thin, but nicely crisp and refreshing per the style. Overall, this is an interesting take on the "fruity wheat" style, but the base beer is lack-luster. No point in adding watermelon to a mediocre wheat beer. I'd pass on this next time, but it was worth a try.

1.35/5  rDev -59%

Intriguing- this is my first beer with watermelon.

A: pours a hazy orange with minimal white head. A touch of laacing.

S: funky herbal notes up front...very off putting. Notes of stale wheat and a hint of Jolly Rancher watermelon (read artificial) at the end which does not fit with the rest of the profile. This smells like a mess.

T: up front is that weird herbal tea like character that I picked up on the nose. Again, very off putting. A little bit of watermelon comes in on the middle but it is lost in the disgusting malt character. Not a fan.

MF: Medium carbonation, light body

D: Yuck! Will never have this one again. Nothing about this beer works for me. I was turned off by the smell and the taste provided exactly what the smell promised: an undrinkable beer. Avoid this one.

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Someone sent me a can as an extra from the West Coast. Hey its an extra and they hadn't thought that fruit beers are not normally my thing. Pours a light pinkish tinge colour with quick fizzing disapearing head. Mild sweet aroma. The taste is acceptable for a few gulps, light mouthfeel. This isn't real watermelon put in the tank.

2.73/5  rDev -17%

12oz can poured into a tumbler.

Pours a fairly clear but super light ywllow color with lots of nice thin bubble trails leading to a small but creamy white head. Nose leaves a bit to be desired, it's yeasty and bready but no watermelon.

Taste is basically a wheat beer with not much watermelon flavor at all. It's basically your standard wheat beer. Mouthfeel is full rich and creamy - quite good. There is some weird off taste that's not great but overall it's a step above a macro, quite easy drinking.

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

I had this beer on-tap at the 21st Amendment brewery in San Francisco. I had it during the summer and it was a good summer beer. It was highly drinkable-very light and crisp. There was a strong aroma of watermelon and it was served which a watermelon wedge on the side of the pint glass.

4.15/5  rDev +26.1%

Can't miss the watermelon in this beer. Drank it with a chunk of watermelon in it, too. Very drinkable, light, tasty watermelon, but it's hardly a beer, really. Good for hot sweaty summer days, but I prefer some more body. Nonetheless, it tastes great, just very light.

3.98/5  rDev +21%

Thanks to KickbackSteve for this gift to taste with some fruit beer curious newbs. Brought and shared on a road trip night in prep for a local concert with the Perfect Pair.

Light lager look with some minor lace. Short head and retention.
Light pale malt aromas with a dash of watermelon smell.
Tastes as it smells with a noticeable but not overdone light watermelon flavor without being overly sweet or cloying.
Light body and high carbo.
Drinkable for those who like a light lager-like fruit beer.

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a can.

A- Pale yellow straw color. foamy white head that quickly disperses.

S- You can definitely smell the watermelon. Its at the front with the wheat smell in back.

T- Boring and average. Not much different that a Miller light. Watery. The watermelon taste is barely noticeable which might be a good thing. Its more of a smell.

M- The mouth-feel is ok. Its got that grainy wheat beer feel with a nice fizz.

D- It goes down easy enough. It isn't awful, but it isn't complex at all. It really does nothing for me. It will go away quickly simply because it doesn't taste bad. Its more that it doesn't taste bad than it tastes good. Very average and boring.

2.28/5  rDev -30.7%

12 oz can poured into pint glass. thanks to mrmiles for this during the nice cans II BIF

Pours a clear pale yellow with a thin head which quickly fizzles out. No retention or lacing.

Very unusual nose with some fruity wheat and almost an earthy vegetable smell. Kind of like a garden salad maybe?

Light wheat and barley up front, which quickly crashes into an odd avalanche of watermelon and other fruit/vegetable flavors. There's a definite sweetness, but I kept feeling like I was almost drinking some sort of salad. Finishes crisp with a bit of lingering juicy watermelon flavor.

Light body, some lingering dryness on the tongue. I guess this would be smooth drinking, but the taste is pretty confusing and unattractive for me.

3.85/5  rDev +17%

This brew pours a light golden straw color with one centimeter of thin, puffy head. I've seen hazier wheat beers as well but it still looks good. The smell is light, a bit of watermelon and soft grainy notes as well.

Glug glug glug

This flavor is bigger than the smell but very restrained, which works for the style. The watermelon aspect is better than I would have thought. If anything it tastes a bit 'fake' somehow, like how a lollipop approximates flavor. This being said it isn't bad but it feels unnatural. The more traditional aspects are good and the drinkability is high. This would likely be better if it were fresher. Also the more I drink this the more the watermelon flavor becomes watery, rather the sweetness from the impact isn't strong enough to last.

2.2/5  rDev -33.1%

Served in a can from Brick Store Pub, Atlanta, GA

A: Pale orange with no head. Seemed to look like a flat watermelon soda than a beer.

S: Hardly watermelon or even beer. If something can smell sour, this did.

T: Like watermelon juice and carbonated water. No malts or hops.

M: Dry and uninteresting. The watermelon taste had to grow on me. Maybe there was some wheat flavor but once this was in my mouth, I didn't care to think about favors anymore, just to get rid of it as soon as possible.

D: I'm wondering if this was on the shelf too long or something because I had abad experience with this brew. I would have assumed this to be a lot lower rated on here than it is. I would not find this drinkable in a beer situation at all.

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

This beer pours a cloudy pale orange color with ha hint of green. The head is an inch in height, and vanishes within seconds. The aroma is of watermelon. There is also a tart aspect to the aroma that isn't pleasing to me. I am sure this beer smells how it is intended to, but it simply smells bad. The taste is of very mild watermelon, and not much else. Really this taste is of virtually nothing. It isn't bad; it just isn't. The mouthfeel is watery with low carbonation (bad for a wheat beer). Overall, this is a fairly bad beer. I will not drink it again.

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a can into a perfect pint. Feels weird to actually pour this out instead of just slamming it down, but here we are.

A- pours a very dull shade of gold with a one finger white head that quickly fades. No lacing. Very boring looking beer...

S- very mild...lemongrass maybe? Not at all what I expected. A lot of the wheat is coming through, none of the watermelon

T- getting a lot of wheat mostly, and the watermelon comes in for the finish...its refreshing. Not super flavorful...but refreshing

M- thin and watery. But it actually works a little bit based on the wheat style

D- its nice and drinkable because of how mild it is. I'll never confuse this with an IPA or stout, but its good easy drinking for a warm day

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I typically drink this guy right out of the can but have poured once or twice.

A: "Thin" looking. Clear, looks like a light beer almost.

S: Wheat, malt, mainly fruit. Generally weak

T: First time I had this I was surprised. The wheat sticks out, but its a little tangy, the watermelon backs it up. Post swallow is pleasant and where the watermelon taste kicks in. Its like drinking a sparkling waterman juice. I describe as watermelon cocktail wrapped around domestic lager.

M: Not fantastic, but different. Light and sweet.

D: I have picked up a 6-pack on a few occasions. First, its normally cheap (yay cans) and second, I love watermelon. I imagine if you're not a fan you won't dig it. Something I bring to a party if I have a few extra bucks but not in the regular rotation.

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

This was one of several fruit beers that I tried this summer.
I enjoy the the occasional fruit beer.
A - This is an unfiltered wheat bear, and the customary haze and yeast dregs are there. The color is pale yellow with no head.
S- I'm not sure what the smell really is?
T- Compared to other watermelon beers this one tastes more like the part of the watermelon that is closer to the rind, not nearly as sweet as the center.
MD- unfortunatley I samples this beer on a damp autumn night and it was just okay. It would be much better enjoyed on a hot summer day.

2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

a - pours light yellow with a white head.

s - some watermelon, but not as much as i expected. good amount of wheat.

t - big grainy wheat flavor with watermelon along side it. does not mix well. taste is way to grassy/grainy. like eating straight wheat grains. hop bitterness doesnt help any either.

m - light and bubbly. as i would expect from a light fruit beer. this aspect is on target.

overall - would not recommend this. just not appealing at all.

A- 12 oz. can poured into a pint glass. Tried this a while back, from notes: Pours hazy yellow with a finger of fizzy white head. Decent retention but no appreciable amount of lacing.

S- Very bland in the aroma department. Has a light grainy aroma, can't really seem to detect any watermelon in this. Maybe if I try real hard...

T- Hints of watermelon are in the taste but still has a dominant grainy flavor to it. Not really what I was expecting.

M- Light body, very fizzy mouthfeel due to the amount of carbonation.

D- Light enough to consume easily, but the flavor doesn't really do it for me. Glad I go to try it, but definitely wouldn't have it again.

2.83/5  rDev -14%

A: slightly hazy light straw. good inch and a half of fine-grained white head, supported by strong carbonation.

S: vegetal. melon. no strong hops. melon coming through a bit stronger.

T: creamy, watery, biscuty wheat with unidentifiable melon notes. the melon does cross over from "watermelon" to "cantalope" a bit; not desireable.

M: fine.

D: medium. The taste and novelty just wear out after a while. Had this been colder, or had I more of a thirst for a light refreshing beverage, it might work. On a hot summer day, maybe; on this cool fall day, not so much.

3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a hazy light orange in color with a 2 finger foamy white head that lasted a while; decent lacing that slid down fast. Good looking beer out of a can!

Smells of wheat, light malt, grains and watermelon; aroma was basically grain and watermelon, which is true to the beer's name.

Tastes of wheat, light malt, grains, watermelon, and very light hops. Couldn't tell if the watermelon was real or fake, but either way it made for an interesting taste.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a light and crisp feel overall and very mild carbonation.

Would be highly drinkable on a hot summer day and tasted better than expected to me. It's a good novelty summer fruit beer, but not one I would seek out again as I'm not a big fan of watermelon.

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a pale yellow with a thin white head that recedes fairly quickly and does not leave much lacing behind. Nose is pretty one dimensional with watermelon dominaing. Semi-sweet but not overly ripe. Taste is similar, although a bit of the wheat characteristics make heir way through. Feel is a bit light but well carbonated. Drinkability is decent, and this is better than many other fruit forward APWAs.

1.78/5  rDev -45.9%

What was I thinking? Was I lured in by the packaging? Beer pours with a weak head which dissipates quickly. If it wasn't for the yellow haze, not much would indicate this is a wheat beer. Smell is slightly green. Taste is where this beer really lets down.. I was hoping for some complexity, but this beer tastes like Miller Lite that's been strained through cooked broccoli. If there is any "watermelon" flavor, it's purely rind.. blech! Don't know if I expected this to be sweeter or more inventive, but it's none of these things. Shame because with its light body, if it didn't taste so bad it would be an easy session brew.

I can't believe I still have four left.. ugh.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery