1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Ratings: 1,472 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
JaredKent

Rhode Island

4.48/5  rDev +38.3%

Appearance: Golden with a light amber/orange color to it. About a 10 SRM. The beer pours nice and strong giving a full inch of head. It lingers for the first few sips but after swirling it has faded away.

Scent: Light aroma, mild tartness coming from the wheat. Slight biscuity notes up front. Underneath the grain is a very mild watermelon smell. Very reminiscent of watermelon candy or watermelon italian ice. Not overpowering in the slightest.

Taste: Right up front you get a bit more of that watermelon flavor, which comes on a little bit stronger than the aroma, but still very mild. It lasts for a few seconds, mingling with the wheat’s tartness before dissipating. As soon as the watermelon fades in comes the biscuit again as the closer to finish it all out.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied. The carbonation isn’t over the top. Short on the tongue.

Overall: Between this and Abita’s Strawberry Harvest, I’m finding more fruit beers that I like. These are not pumped with artificial flavors that overpower the beer. The watermelon in this beer is so subtle that it could easily be overlooked if your not thinking about the flavors. Once you start to really dig into the beer the watermelon comes out of hiding and compliments the wheat very nicely.

06-06-2012 19:25:16 | More by JaredKent
DWolf

1.43/5  rDev -55.9%

Ah, with Memorial Day passing, we can officially say summer is here. And, nothing makes a warm summer day more pleasant than relaxing with a cold beer. And, few beers are more refreshing in that moment than a good wheat beer. Not too heavy - not too light ... maybe with a touch of spice, grass, or lemon or other fruit. So, why not watermelon? What is a more quintessential fruit of summer than watermelon? Which brings me to Hell or High Watermelon Wheat beer from 21st Amendment.

You know when you are done eating a piece of watermelon, and all the juicy flesh is gone, and you get down to that white part near the rind? Yet, you keep taking a bite or two more. And, you get this sour bitterness that tastes pretty much like nothing except sour bitter water with a hint of watermelon?

Yeah, that's what this beer tastes like.

I drank two cans from the 6-pack I bought from the cooler. Both the same. The next four likely will go down the drain.

Don't know if this was a bad batch or what. But, given some other reviews, maybe not.

Normally, I like most beers from 21st Amendment. But, this one was a disappointment.

06-01-2012 13:13:09 | More by DWolf
ryan1788a5

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Murky straw-yellow in color. Two finger white head comprised of tiny bubbles. The head settles into nothing after a few minutes. No noticeable lacing.

S: Bread and wheat, fleshy watermelon and watermelon juice in the background. Simple to the point of being bland.

T: Watermelon and wheat tastes fade in and out, with one or the other dominating for a moment. Watermelon taste is subtle at the outset, then becomes more concentrated and just a touch candy-like toward the mid-palate. Wheat tastes open with that classic, almost citric wheat twang, then build until they reach an apex and the taste of freshly baked bread unfolds on the palate. Yeast brings it's own bready tastes too, though they come across as a bit stale. Only the vaguest sense of hop bitterness. Watermelon goes rind-like and a touch bitter at the end. The finish is so abrupt that there almost isn't one. Watermelon juice and a suggestion of bready wheat are gone in an instant.

M: Light in body, but it has that frothy wheat mouthfeel. Carbonation is almost non-existent. Lively, spritzy carbonation would go a long way here. It is such a simple beer that lifting the body with active carbonation and keeping it crisp and refreshing seems like a no-brainer.

O: This one really didn't do it for me. It is a little more complex than I would have expected, but it still bores me. However, I will say that it is probably the best watermelon beer I've ever had (but I've only had three). At least the watermelon tastes fairly natural.

05-29-2012 22:49:41 | More by ryan1788a5
BravoTwo

3.83/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance - Light yellow, with a slight haze and a fairly thick but shortlived white head after the pour.

Smell - Slight watermelon on the nose, with sweet and a little spiciness.

Taste - Very nice sublte sourness, like from a slightly less than ripe melon. Watermelon was not overpowering but noticable. Nice clean wheat beer at the front of the sip.

Mouthfeel - Good and crisp. Spritzy, like you would expect a summer brew.

Overall, very nice effort from 21st Amendment. As always, I love their cans for convienence sake. An easy drinking beer when you want something just a little different. If you are looking for huge depth and complexity, this beer is not for you. If judged for what it is, it deserves a try.

05-28-2012 23:59:31 | More by BravoTwo
tdm168

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

A - copper with a reddish tinge; thick, white head; good retention

S - grains, wheat, grass, faint watermelon

T - light watermelon, grains, wheat, grass

M - light bodied, smooth, little carbonation

This is a light, easy drinking beer. It's not very sweet and the watermelon doesn't really shine through. It's drinkability though makes it a refreshing summer beer.

05-27-2012 15:56:59 | More by tdm168
BugsyDZ

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%

It's a light, summer, low ABV beer with a twist. I ordered it because it sounded crazy, it is so well put together that it isn't crazy at all.
The watermelon is present but not overbearing or too sweet. It's clean and refreshing.
It is more 'bubbly' than a traditional wheat beer but still is definitely a wheat beer.
I very much enjoyed it and can see a 6-pack in my near future, enjoyed outside on a hot summer's evening.
Pretty surprised at some of the reviews, if you want an IPA, order one. If you don't like watermelon and/or light effervescent beer don't buy this.
If you live somewhere that gets hot and want a different refreshing beer give it a try.

05-26-2012 01:21:58 | More by BugsyDZ
themind

4.33/5  rDev +33.6%

I truly like this summer beer! It's refreshing and has hints of REAL watermelon. Light carbonation, easy to drink and makes your taste buds call for another. When I see this beer in the summer months...I buy it!

Bottom Line: If you like wheat beers and you like watermelon..this is it! Worth the 10 spot for the six.

05-23-2012 20:48:57 | More by themind
davednyc

4.18/5  rDev +29%

A - Pours a clouded golden-yellow, nice effervescence, and a slight head that disappears right away.

S - A gentle, slight aroma. Nothing particular of note.

T - The watermelon does come through. Somebody had mentioned that they thought they could discern watermelon rind, rather than the actual fruit. Interesting, and I could definitely see where they were coming from. Oddly, rind or not, it definitely works nicely.

M - Nice effervescence. Light on the palate.

O - Definitely a nice summer brew. Refreshing, and relatively low on the ABV, allows one to kick a few of back beneath the sun.

05-19-2012 22:26:54 | More by davednyc
suspect

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: Mostly clear pale golden color. Mildly aggressive pour leads to a fizzy one finger head that disappears almost immediately. No lacing to speak of.

S: Not a lot going on in the nose. Some grain, some sweet malts and perhaps a touch of fruit but overall, no real hop notes to speak of.

T: Wow, the watermelon really shines through in the flavor. It really tastes like beer perfectly infused with the perfect amount of watermelon. Some sweetness from the grain but man, the watermelon is really wonderful. Sweet, then perfectly tart.

M: A touch thin, good carbonation.

O: A really interesting beer. I wasn't overly impressed but man, the watermelon really is something. Overall, a pretty good beer but I think I could only really have one or two.

05-19-2012 02:21:06 | More by suspect
wedge

1.3/5  rDev -59.9%

Hazy yellow gold with a white head. The aroma instantly filled me with a sense of "I've made a huge mistake". Both the smell and the flavor shared similar qualities, but at least there was a hint of watermelon sweetness in the nose. The main characteristic though - and I'm being very serious - was that it reminded me of vomit. It took me a little while to figure out exactly what was disturbing me so much with each sip (bile isn't usually one of the first descriptors my brain searches for when drinking a beer). Other things that came to mind: corn, butterscotch, pumpkin, yogurt...just sour, weird, and wholly unpleasant. Admittedly, I've never been a huge fan of watermelon, though "watermelon flavored" candy is perfectly acceptable and even enjoyable when I come across it. There was pretty much nothing in that can that made me think "watermelon".

Very rare is the occasion where I cannot finish a beer, but I had to move on after about half. I'm surprised I made it that far, my friend and I trading various upsetting facial expressions, choking it down trying to figure out exactly what was going on with this beer. Vomit. It reminded me of vomit. Vile, repulsive stuff...

05-18-2012 14:22:33 | More by wedge
mfavoino

Washington

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

Canned on 3/26/12.

Appearance: Hazy yellow color with a small fizzy head that receded quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Wheat backbone, citrus, and not much else.

Taste: Distinct watermelon up front. Kind of a generic "light" beer taste otherwise.

Mouthfeel: Light body, lots of carbonation, and crisp.

Overall: Not for everyone, but it is as advertised. If the watermelon flavor appeals to you, it might be worth having a can on a hot day.

05-14-2012 23:52:46 | More by mfavoino
facundoCNB

4.18/5  rDev +29%

straw yellow clear pour with 2 fingers head that quickly disappeared. looks like they got a way cooler can design too, last one i had was white with a watermelon drawn on and i think neon letters. smells more of honeydew melon/cantaloupe than watermelon! a hint of citrus, slightly bready smell. taste is a little weaker than i remember, again - a bit sweeter than watermelon.. hints of honey, bready.. melon, obviously! best tasting fruity wheat beer i've had (nothing has changed since i had it last in ..2009? i think). light bodied, moderately carbonated.. nothing special here.

overall it is a very nice summer beer.. refreshing, crisp, sweet.. perfect for session drinking, mowing the lawn, lounging around getting sunburn on the lawn.

05-14-2012 23:14:47 | More by facundoCNB
ExtraStout

A "gift" from my son. Pours a very hazy yellow color with a white head and soda like carbonation. This beer was absolutely disgusting. It smelt like puke!! I checked the can date and it was only 5 weeks old so that wasn’t it.

I thought about just dumping it but it was all I had so after thinking long and hard, I remembered that if you hold your nose you can’t really taste what is in your mouth. It worked, I got it down fast. This is nasty shit!! I wish I could rate it even lower.

05-14-2012 22:53:00 | More by ExtraStout
JimKal

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

I picked this up because I've enjoyed other offerings from 21st Amendment and it looked intriguing. I poured it from a can into a hefeweisen glass. It pours with one of those great wheat beer magnificent heads. A bit of the head lingers throughout the beer.

You can definitely pick up the watermelon in the aroma.

I had trouble rating the taste. It does deliver on what it promises. I now know I'm not a fan of watermelon in my beer. But, if that is appealing to you, this one delivers it.

Delivers typical mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

I'm glad I tried it. It delivers as promised but this won't be repeat for me. I'll finish the six pack as this meets my summer profile of preferring lighter brews.

05-14-2012 12:08:13 | More by JimKal
yuenglings

4.45/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went in to the beer store to buy my wife a case of the new blue moon summer honey wheat or what ever it was and came across this melon wheat beer i just had to get it and hope she liked it well she didn't like it!... she LOVED it and so did I.

At first i opened the can poured it in to a glass and right off the bat ya can smell melon rind. I thought o no this is going to be bad but as it turned out this is my new best summer beer.

05-13-2012 22:46:55 | More by yuenglings
VncentLIFE

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

4 straight from a can. here we go!

Pour is a cloudy yellow. aggressive pour produced over an inch of head that dissipates into a ring of head. I wanna call it a Wit badly.

The smell is, just, no. Corn everywhere. NO.

Now the taste is odd, very odd. Corn and watermelon. I never thought id like it, but I really do. If it didnt smell like hell, Itd be perfect. Theres a nice balance of fruitiness from the watermelon but a definite beer base. Interesting to say the least.

05-12-2012 23:51:53 | More by VncentLIFE
Jimmys

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz can into hardywood tulip. canned on 03/26/12.

A: hazy pale yellow. tiny carbonation bubbles can be seen lazily rising towards the surface. head is bright white and quickly dies to a rim of retention. no lacing.

S: lemon. watermelon. wheat.

T: watermelon jolly ranchers right off the bat. a lingering vanilla-like sweetness. finish is almost non-existent with maybe a tiny touch of sugary sweetness.

M: low/average carbonation on a very light body.

D: this would certainly make for some tasty outside summer drinking beer. i would also imagine that it works well with a watermelon summer salad. the watermelon flavor is neat, but wouldnt hate for some more body to back it.

05-08-2012 01:13:01 | More by Jimmys
scottfrie

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%

Canned 3/26/12 if that matters.

A: Pours a lightly cloudy light golden with a very fizzy and short lived white head that quickly faded into nothingness leaving no lace. Very soda-like looking carbonation.
S: I get pale notes of cracked wheat with sweeter hints of perfume-like fruit. The nose is light, crispy, and slightly synthetic.
T: A hint of watermelon pokes through light notes of grains and wheat, but it’s really more an essence or suggestion of fruit rather than an in-your-face watermelon experience. The finish is very crackery and the aftertaste is quick and forgetful. There’s something that reminds me of vegetable stew in there as well, although it’s in the background.
M: Carbonation is definitely overly fizzy and sharp like drinking a soda. Once it dies down in my mouth the body is medium but the mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and greasy.
O: Not terrible but not the most appealing beer out there. I cold with a meal maybe, but I don’t need to drink this again.

05-06-2012 01:27:10 | More by scottfrie
tencents

Maryland

1.6/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Very unappealing partially cloudy gray gold. Went immediately flat.
S - Hint of the watermelon, otherwise not a whole lot.
T - Watermelon prevalent at finish, but tastes artificial. As the beer aired and warmed the taste really turned south.
M - Thin, very watery, almost no body.
O - Worst beer I've had in a while. I'd like to say its the watermelon but honestly feel it is just a poor quality beer.

05-05-2012 13:03:24 | More by tencents
TheSixthRing

2.65/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a cloudy, pale yellow with a finger width head, soda fizz poor retention, leaving no lace but a small ring of bubbles around the edges of the glass. Literally like pouring a soda.

Smell - Aromas are faint. Sweet, dirty. More honeydew on the nose than watermelon.

Taste - Like they took a macro light beer and threw in some watermelon extract. Mild wheat pokes out. Watermelon is most prevalent... and then there's the rest of the beer, which reeks of cheap adjuncts. That's not to say it's what's in the beer, but it's certainly the impression it makes.

Mouthfeel - Watery and under-carbonated. There's a slight bite, but it's comparable to a 3 week pup.

Overall - ... And yet, this beer is somehow better than the sum of it's parts. I'll never buy it again, but I'd probably drink it if offered. This is now my 2nd 21st Amendment beer, and both have been big disappointments. Dare I try a third?

05-04-2012 04:45:22 | More by TheSixthRing
tobelerone

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

A lightly hazy, pale orange colored beer with a smallish white head. Retention and lace on the low side, but still not a bad looking beer. Aroma has a definite touch of watermelon, as well as lightly sweet malt, wheat, graininess.

The flavor is a bit disappointing; the watermelon presence is much lower than I’d hoped, kind of subtle and bland, with more generic grainy wheat and an out of place bitterness in the finish. A touch of bready malt flavor as well.

Medium-light bodied, with lively carbonation, fairly crisp and refreshing. Overall, however, I don’t think I’d buy this one again; the easy drinking quenching appeal of this beer is overshadowed by an unbalanced and lackluster flavor.

04-26-2012 03:52:57 | More by tobelerone
NuclearDolphin

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Very cloudy dark yellow color with a very fizzy head which is typical of most of the wheat beers I've tried. However the head does stick around for quite a while before fizzing out into nothing

Smell - Wheat, lemon, yeasts and a slight sweet and grassy aroma. Hate to say it but I'm not getting any watermelon smells here, smells like a grassy wheat beer really

Taste - There's the watermelon taste! And it's quite rich sweet and it mixes well with the lemon and wheat flavors. It's not perfect but it's pretty good!

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with a mild amount of carbonation. It does feel nice and crispy on the palate, perfect for drinking on a hot day.

Overall - Yeah, it's a novelty wheat beer and I'm not exactly a huge fan of wheat beers but it's a nice crisy beer. The initial smell makes it seem rather bland while the flavor proves that there it does have something worthwhile to offer.

04-26-2012 00:50:20 | More by NuclearDolphin
czfreeman

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

Picked up a six pack on this lovely San Fran early summer day.
Pours a hazy pale wheat color. Fizzes out soon.
Smells of watermelon rind, citrus, some sour wheat, biscuit.
Very light. The watermelon come through in the flavor in and provides an almost creamy like texture, which is cut by the sharp carbonation. Not picking up much hope, but a acidic, citrusy, pale wheat brew. One might go so far as to say this could be almost like a Berliner Weisse with a shot of watermelon rather than the traditional woodruff.
Not quite as complex as I had hoped, but refreshing and perfect hot-day-in the sun brew.

04-23-2012 20:39:40 | More by czfreeman
morimech

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

Pale straw color that has the slightest haze. One finger of head that settles to a thin film. Some spotty lacing is left behind on the glass.

Sort of a bizare aroma and flavor. Does not smell specific like watermelon, but sort of a decomposing rind, vegatable aroma. Some sort of spice is lingering in there but I cannot specifically identify it.

Not a fan of the flavor either. Certainly unique. Watermelon rind, lemon, and pale wheat malt.

Solid, light body of a wheat ale. Well matched carbonation.

Not a fan of this beer. A weird aroma and flavor for sure. Finding it hard to finish.

04-22-2012 17:32:09 | More by morimech
jimmah120

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

12oz canned on 3/26/12

Pours a very cloudy, very pale yellow, with a slight ring of head. Great unfiltered look. Smell is grain, corn, and sour/rancid watermelon. Very light smell, which is good because what I do pick up is awful. The taste is much better, it's bright fresh grain/wheat with a watermelon twist at the end. The watermelon isn't as powerful as I expected it to be, which is a good thing. Carbonated well, it is a tad watery and has an odd 'plastic' feel to it at times.

A good easy drinking beer for the summer months. A little too expensive, tho.

04-21-2012 09:19:54 | More by jimmah120