Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
1.27/5  rDev -61.4%

Big thanks to Matt for this extra. I have always been intrigued by this, so I was glad to pour it into my pint glass...

A: Very pale macro looking with a strong yellow hue. Active carbonation coming through with a snowblind white head.

S: Smell. Whew, the smell. Smells like a watermelon that has been sitting out in the sun for 3 weeks. Some pale malts help hide that scent, but it can only do so much.

T: The taste is of that same watermelon smell, and is by no means delicious. Very light taste like a macro with old watermelon thrown in.

Really glad I had the chance to try this, but I can't say it is one I will be seeking out anytime soon.

treyrab, Jan 03, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat actually bears the colour of a golden delicious apple. It has lightly bleached yellow skin and a thin film that imparts a slightly waxy complexion. It is absolutely jammed full with tirelessly energetic bubbles. Although its head appears unsound, it manages to leave a shotgun spray of lace.

The aroma tips you off about this being one juicy flavoured beer. It smells - as one might expect - a little like watermelon and also carries just a hint of bubble gum. It seems like this should be just as (if not, more so) tart than sweet, which is a bit of reassurance. The extra dimension gives me the impression this will be one interesting wheat beer.

I've sampled the beer a few times before tonight but I never remember it tasting *this* much like watermelon! Just imagine biting into a big, fresh, juicy slice of watermelon. What I especially like is that it doesn't have a sugary, sweet synthetic flavouring. Nope, it really does have the authentic, convincing, bona fide taste of watermelon. Yum!

And it's a very good thing too because I can't imagine a light beer flavoured with candy fruit syrup being all that drinkable, except maybe to those in the wine-spritzer/alcopop cooler crowd. Whether it's authenticity, balance or that lovely tart note at the conclusion of each sip, using 400 lbs. of actual watermelon in each batch really pays its dividends.

I remember spending an entire day walking through Rome in the blistering hot Italian August heat. We were tired, sweaty, and dehydrated. When we came upon the sight of a street vendor selling watermelon slices we thought it was a desert mirage. Those slices were heavenly. I don't think anything in that circumstance could have been more refreshing...

So in combining the memory of that particular watermelon - so juicy, so refreshing - with my love of a nice American wheat beer Shaun O'Sullivan has created something that for me has unimaginable drinking potential. I really liked this beer and consider it gimmicky if you want but I maintain it would be a godsend on any hot summer day.

biegaman, Dec 31, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +0.3%

Can as an extra from numbeercruncher - thanks!! Poured into a cervoise.

Appearance: Pours a very slightly hazed golden yellow, a very traditional hefe-esque color, with a two-finger white head of average to perhaps - for the style - slightly above average retention. Leaves some nice splotches of runny, glittery, watery lacing. The carbonation is plentiful, well-distributed, relatively fine-bubbled, and very fast.

Aroma: A little simplistic, though largely pleasant. Plenty of lightly tart watermelon, pretty authentic, over a biscuity-smelling malt base. Strangely enough, I get hints of caramel and caramelized sugars out of this one, which seem a little off - at least in my mind. Not bad though.

Taste: A little tarter and fruitier than I'd like, with a few unpleasant "vegetal" notes. On the other hand, there's plenty of good stuff here - a sweet malt base with hints of roast peeking through and watermelon "pulp" notes that transition from sweet up front to tart in the finish, slightly juicy, slightly acidic.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and big-bubbled - result of all that effervescence in a relatively thin body - resulting in a puffy and uneven mouthfeel. It doesn't work too poorly with these flavors, though in most beers it would be really distracting.

Drinkability: An interesting brew. The watermelon definitely comes through on this one, adding both a few complex fruit sugars as well as a tart, slightly puckering note in the finish. It works decently well with the beer's base too, though the whole package just leaves a little to be desired, in my opinion. On the drinkable side, it's low in alcohol and solidly made. Perhaps a few tweaks with this one - adjusting the malt base to something a little solider and simpler, and modifying the watermelon addition somehow (I know this is difficult, haha) would make this one a really tasty fruit beer. Still glad I got a chance to try it. Plus, it's in a can - another bonus!

CrellMoset, Dec 26, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

I was not expecting much from a wheat beer with watermelon, but saw single cans for sale so I figured I'd try it and I was pleasantly surprised.

Hazy orangish straw yellow, it has a medium off-white head, steadily shrinking to a wispy top and no real lace.

The aroma is the weakest aspect and is a bit unpleasant. It smells of apples, flour and a hint of bread dough - definitely a wheat ale quality but different, hint of pine sap, and a hint of watermelon, mostly an old, turned unpleasant watermelon quality. It's not dreadful, but it's not good, either.

The taste, though, is actually pretty good as well as being interesting and unusual and it somewhat grew on me. It's odd and different, but pleasant, with a definite watermelon element (a bit like watermelon candy without the sweetness), a general wheat-ale quality of grain, dough, and dryish fruit, as well as cucumber, and light juiciness with a finish of wheat and cooked beans. It's dryish, not really sweet or bitter.

Offa, Dec 17, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Pours a murky orange color with 1/4 inch of foam that ended up as a layer of fine bubbles

S - Overly sweet watermelon aroma

T - At first I really liked the watermelon taste, its not too powerful but the finish leaves you with an almost chemical extract flavor. Its not so bad that you can't enjoy it, but its there once you notice it

M/D - easy drinking light bodied beer, but the overdone watermelon is just too much and keeps me from enjoying many.

mikereaser, Dec 15, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -44.4%

Tx to thaichile for this can.

A - Pours a medium gold with some haze. The white head is pretty minimal and recedes quickly to a paper thin cover atop the brew. Lacing is average at best. There is just not much appeal in this category for this particular brew.

S - A light watermelon type aroma starts things out. At this point it takes a pretty severe turn for the worse. Once the other aromas start to mix with the watermelon it's just over. Aromas include yeast and maybe some wheat. A little bready on the end. Could be some barnyardish things going on as well and that just makes this one even worse. I really can't get into this smell at all. Hopefully the flavor will smooth things out.

T - Nope. Here we go. A sweet watermelon flavor hits the palate first and isn't bad at all. This one turns bad very quickly after the watermelon fades. A wheat kick follows with some doughy flavors bringing up the rear. A sweet, melon flavored hard candy flavor is present throughout. This combination of flavors doesn't work for me at all.

M - Light bodied and kind of light on the carbonation. Finish is funky and sweet at the same time. Clean overall.

D - Drinkability is not very good for this one. The idea of a watermelon flavored wheat brew had me very interested but this attempt just doesn't work for me on almost every level. Not sure if it's the combination of flavors in this particular beer or the idea of watermelon and wheat in general but, I just can't handle it. I'm grateful for the experience but I'll avoid this one in the future.

csmiley, Dec 14, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

I brought back a six-pack of cans from a recent trip to San Francisco for the wife and I to try out. I've been eager to try this one for a while, a bit disappointed 21st didn't have it on tap.

Can poured into a pint glass.
Can graphics: 3/10. Ugly.

A: Super hazy dark yellow colored pour with a thin off white head. Decent amount of lacing and carbonation a bit out of control but it looks to be refreshing.

S: Clearly wheaty, and I guess thats the watermelon in there. It does have the scent of an aged fruit, almost candied. Having not known, watermelon wouldn't have been guess number one.

T: Sweet candy flavor with a yeasty backing. The taste falls off as you drink more. Sugary and infused carbonated drink comes on later. Reminiscent of a zima, not a good thing.

Not the worst, but not too good either. Still the best watermelon infused beer I've ever had (and worst)

M: Too sweet for me in the long run, too fake sugared. I was expecting something like a summer wheat beer but thats not it- this is much more of a carbonation explosion.

D: I guess it has it's place in the world and I am glad I got a chance to try, but this is surely not one I would seek out again or waste luggage space on.

marcpal, Dec 12, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

12 oz can poured into a snifter · Fridge temp · 2008

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with a short lived 1/2" off-white head. Carbonation seems pretty lively, as bubbles cling to the side of the glass. Swirling creates a tiny bit of lace.

Smell: A strong, distinct wheat aroma comes out of the glass. A small watermelon aroma is present.

Taste: A unique blend of Jolly Rancher-esque watermelon flavor blends with a normal wheat flavored beer. The wheat malt makes a nest for the watermelon flavor to be all over the place. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel: A very nice, medium, smooth body is created by the use of wheat, but is corrupted by the cloying sweetness of the watermelon aftertaste. Did I just rot my teeth with a jolly rancher?

Drinknability: Not a great beer, but a great niche beer. I would buy a case of it under 3 conditions: it was cheap, local, and during the summertime. Overall, decent.

Risser09, Dec 12, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks Nick of ThreeWiseMen for letting me try this. I'm pretty much expecting this to be a novelty.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color with a good amount of head and lacing. About what I would expect from a wheat beer.

Smell: It's hard to say if I like the smell or hate it. There's definitely wheat and yeast in there, but after that the smell is just strange. The watermelon smell is not very pleasant. It kind of smells like watermelon that has been sitting in the sun for a few days. But I guess that should be expected - it's fermented watermelon!

Taste: Almost seems like they were trying too hard to make it known that "hey! we put watermelon in our beer!" The watermelon is definitely the dominant taste with wheat making a cameo appearance and everything else is really toned down. That being said, I don't think the taste is horrible. It's just... interesting.

Mouthfeel: Grainy, watery, medium carbonation. I could see how this might be refreshing on a hot day. But it's the middle of winter.

Drinkability: I could see how this would be a good beer to just knock back. Especially in a social situation with people who just like easy to drink beers. It was actually much better than I thought it would be.

lynx1245, Dec 11, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -45.3%

Reviewed by Wiseman Nick and Wiseman Pete.

Appearance: Pours a thin, clear, straw-yellow with very loose, white head. Pretty crappy retention with sticky-ish lacing.

Smell: Smells like watermelon Coors Light. Sorry 21st Ammendment: We're not digging this.

Taste: Strong, tart watermelon (similar to a Jolly Rancher) out front with grainy malts in the middle and more sugary watermelon in the finish. Tastes a lot like a watermelon soda.

Mouthfeel: A very light body with pretty high carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Flavor leaves the palate very quickly. Feels like a watermelon soda.

Drinkability: What a great gateway beer for kids! Tastes like Jones Watermelon Soda with a hint of malt. I really wonder about a lot of these Fruit / Vegetable 'Beers'.

ThreeWiseMen, Dec 09, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +17%

12oz can from numbeercruncher.... a complete unexpected extra.. Thanks a bunch Matt.

It's been a loonng week at work.. and I want something not too complex.. more refreshing.. Let's hope the Watermelon Wheat Works. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

1" head.. minimal lacing... descent cap though.. brew is glowing straw gold when held to a light...

There is definitely some watermelon in there.. sorta funky.. not in a bad way.. just not great.. some spiciness... the fruitiness reminds me of when you get to close to the rind when eating watermelon..

3/3.5/4/4/4
The flavor has a much bigger watermelon essence.. much better than the nose.. the aroma sorta smells too "rotting watermelon".. the palate is a nice burst of watermelon "jolly rancher".. that is waaaay too much of an overstatement.. but the fruit essence is there and somehow still makes me think of fresh fruit.. it's not sweet... in fact.. the finish is fairly dry with an unexpected melon finale. sorta grainy throughout.. but that lends to the bigger picture and lingering fruity finish.. really pretty good.. I like it... That said, I can't imagine ever wanting more than one in a sitting... or probably even a week. If I had this available, i would certainly give it in a nice glass to my non beer drinking friends and say, "Come on.. this is good... I know you like it... just admit it"... Lite body and good carbonation would make this a very nice lawn mowing brew...

Numbeercruncher is certainly one of the most generous traders I've ever had the opportunity of doing business with... Matt... thanks again...

JohnGalt1, Dec 05, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +14%

Numbeercruncher was kind enough to send this beer my way. Thanks, Matt!

Pours a dull, golden brown. Hazy with a 1 inch white head that evaporates in about 2 minutes.

Smells of wheat, yeasts, some funk and a lingering sweetness of watermelon.

Much like the nose. Light to medium bodied with medium overall flavor. The puckering watermelon flavor is very faint in this one. Wheat, yeasts and higher carbonation.

This one would probably be better fresh and in the summer!

beachbum1975, Nov 15, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

I give them cedit with coming up with a unique, off-beat flavor combination. That doesn't mean I found it to be a particularly tasty or refreshing combination. Pours a bit of a hazy yellow, with maybe an inch of foam. Slight watermelon aroma. The flavor is tart watermelon grafted onto an ordinary tasting wheat beer. It comes across as just odd. Can't see it really pairing with food very well, and not really refreshing. Sort of interesting to taste once but not something I plan to have more of.

RunDWP, Nov 13, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -42.9%

Got this from a friend taking part in a beer of the month club.

Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

The appearance on this is very nice. Poures a very hazy, not at all tansparent golden yellow.
2 finger fluffy white head that receeds leaving a very thin oil on water like retention film.
Lace is thin and spotty.

Aroma on this at first was nice and grainy with a carmel like smell, shifting to a fruity sour cherry aroma. As it warmed the aroma turned south to a smelly rotten flesh, or rotting cheese. I'm almost afraid to try it.

Flavors are odd, in a bad way. I get some mild sweetness up front with the watermelon flavor.
Mouthfeel is thin, its like drinking Miller Lite with a rotten flavor and terrible aftertaste.

DO NOT WANT.

Buebie, Nov 09, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark gold with a thin white head that fizzes away quickly. No lacing at all. Aroma is an explosion of diacetyl. Huge butter note with a wisp of watermelon. Almost intolerable. Flavor is better in that the watermelon and wheat flavors come through, but there's still a lot of that gross mealy butterscotch. Mouthfeel is a little sticky for what ought to be a refreshing summer beer. Drinkability is not good because of how easy it is to get sick of this diacetyl bomb. This beer needs a reformulation.

illidurit, Nov 08, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Just received this brew in a recent trade with tpd975. This will be my first brew from 21st Amendment brewery and I look forward to it. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a hazy straw colored yellow with a nice creamy one finger head that slowly dissipates leaving a spotty cap and thin collar with a small amount of lacing.
Smell- A very very slight tinge of watermelon is definitely detectable but it's not the first thing you smell. Slightly lemony with a spicy tart twang below the breadiness of the wheat is detected. Definitely doesn't deliver the big watermelon punch I was hoping for.
Taste- Well it certainly does taste a bit like watermelon which is nice, but it leaves quickly. Like the smell there is a quenching tartness of watermelon from the start before a lightly astringent wheat kicks in. Doughy and raw the base wheat beer component is average at best. A citric kick finishes with a weird lingering dryness.
Mouthfeel- Fairly thin and watery with not a whole lot of carbonation and a very dry, quenching finish.
Drinkability- Overall I'm fairly impressed about how much they do get the watermelon to come through. It's a fairly subtle fruit and I can only imagine how many hundreds of pounds they have to use per batch. My problem with this beer is the astringent twang that seems to have nothing to do with the watermelon. I think it's just the base wheat beer they use. Either way, definitely worth a try. Big thanks again to Greg!!

younger35, Nov 06, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

12oz can shared courtesy of TomDecapolis.

Poured a medium and lightly hazy golden color with an averaged white head. Aromas of watermelon & watermelon rind. The aroma was nice (just like having a watermelon in front of you). Tastes of watermelons, grainy, and wheat.

Notes from and tasted on 1/5/07.

hopdog, Nov 04, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Pours a dirty pale lemon color with a very modest head; not much in the way of retention or lace

Smell: Oddly enough, I pick up a bit of spice cake with a chocolate dusting; the watermelon is present, but hidden beneath the other aromas

Taste: The watermelon comes through much more so upon the taste, with hints of the chocolate powder and spice cake being much less pronounced than in the aroma; after the swallow, the flavor fades but the hints of watermelon reappear at the very end

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: The beer grew on me; I like that it is not sweet and has some underlying complexity; I doubt I would seek it out very often but kudos to the brewer for developing a signature recipe

Thanks, hoppymeal, for the opportunity

brentk56, Oct 24, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer pours a clear, light golden wellow color with a thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has an odd aroma, to say the least. I can smell some watermelon. It has a very dominate grainy aroma however. It also has a very subtle spicy aroma. Not what I was expecting, and a little less than I would desire.

This beer tastes better than it smells, but only a little. Grainy. Very grainy. Some subtle watermelon flavor mixes in. That is about it. Not bad, but although I cant really put it into words, its not wat I was expecting.

This beer is high in carbonation. It is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grainy watermelon aftertaste.

I dont knwo about the drinkability of this one. It is low enough in alcohol to make putting down a few easy, but I didnt like the taste, so I couldnt see myself drinking too many.

Overall: I am happy to have finally had the chance to try this one. Every time I stop by the brewery, they are out, so having my wife find it was a real treat. Although it wasnt what I was expecting, I have no regrets about it. Nice try 21st Amendment.

OStrungT, Oct 23, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk for this one.

Poured a 12oz can into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a hazy straw with a 1 finger head that disappeared within seconds and left no lacing at all. The aroma reminds me of a whole grain bagel with some sort of berry cream cheese. Good for breakfast not for beer. The taste is just flat out strange. The flavor is very grainy. It really reminds me of a Everything Bagel form Einstein Bagels mixed with a glass of water that had a Watermelon Jolly Rancher dropped in. Good for Zima, not some much for beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. I'm sorry, but I think I would choose a glass of water over another one of these brews.

hwwty4, Oct 21, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

I received a can of this thanks to kplynch and RblWthACoz. I couldn't wait to try this oddball beer, I poured it in my hoegaarden glass and the smell hit me pretty hard, I think you could smell the watermelon on the other side of the room. The taste of it surprised me, I did not get the jolly rancher flavor, it's more like a watermelon rind taste to me. Goes down really smooth, not something I would drink a whole lot of but I can imagine this would be good on a really hot day. It is rather tart and refreshing.

yesferro, Oct 06, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this one from kplynch, thanks man!

12 oz. can poured into the special Sam Adams glass. I was at the brewpub a little over a year ago and they were serving this with a wedge of watermelon which I thought was pretty cool.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a generous two finger white head that slowly falls to a layer of foam. A fair amount of webbing sticks on the sides of the glass but disapears shortly after. Smell starts spicy and a touch sweet from the wet watermelon. A musty wheat aroma with a disturbing dish soap scent that I can't get past as well. Taste is a slight improvement from the nose. Sweet watermelon up front with lemon and zesty wheat. Some pale malts and an interesting zucchini flavor that I could do without. Crisp and refreshing light body with an aggressive carbonation sting. A bit sweet at times, but I could drink this on a hot summer day. Glad I had the chance to give this can a whirl, but I don't see myself looking for this again anytime soon.

BeerTruth, Oct 05, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks to torchednoodle for this extra.

12oz. can poured into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a lemon pulp yellow with light hazing. 1 finger worth of white head forms with decent retention. Not much lacing.

S: Juicy watermelon and tart smelling wheat struggle for power. Plenty of sweetness from the watermelon.

T/M: Pretty tart. Decent watermelon taste with lots of tartness and bitterness along with the same from the wheat. A strong drying effect as well. Carbonation is quite high with a medium light body.

D: Very unique but not executed extremely well. Drinkable but one is enough for me.

pwoods, Oct 03, 2008
1.05/5  rDev -68.1%

Pale yellow. Aroma is an awful combination of sweetness mixed with pickled rind and layered with sweaty rotten wheat. Bad combination. Bad idea. This beer fails as a fruit beer and as a wheat beer. The taste was an unpleasant gag fest sour something with a hint of wheat. An after taste lingers long after the beer was poured out. I wanted to cry.

LittleBreeze, Sep 30, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Hazy golden yellow in color with an average foamy white head. Head has poor retention but leaves decent lacing.

S - Very grainy wheat aroma with light hints of watermelon. More just a generic sweet smell to the beer.

T - An artificial watermelon sweetness up front with a husky wheatness backing it up. Almost taste like somebody dropped a watermelon Jolly Rancher into an above average American wheat ale. The sweetness is a little too strong but this is still a nice kick back an relax type of wheat.

M/D - Medium bodied with a grainy chewiness to it. Sweetness is a little too artificial for my liking but it does have a simple refreshing characteristic to it.

ckeegan04, Sep 26, 2008