Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +20.1%

I gave this one the ultimate test - in was chilling in the fridge while I was cutting my lawn on a humid 88 degree day. Did I mention that I have an old cast iron reel mower?

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange. Quickly fading creamy white head.

S: Sweetness in the nose. Clean.

T: A creamy sweetness upfront with just a kiss of watermelon. The watermelon is spot on - you will expect to be spitting out seeds. A bit of tartness at the end.

M: Creamy in and crisp at the end.

d: Like bitting in to a real watermellon. If it is a hot-ass day, you are going to be all over this beer. The flavor is subtle and not overwhelming, you can have a few of these without the sweetness turning your stomach like some fruit concoctions will.

The wheat base really lends itself well to the watermelon taste.

If you like fruit beer or American wheat beers, you should give this one a go.

CavePainter, Jul 19, 2009
1.83/5  rDev -44.4%

A: Unfiltered, golden yellow color. Absolutely no head. Looks like a ton of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: A little bit of soft sour citrus notes, with a touch of watermelon rind. Fresh baked bread aroma also.

T: Tastes kind of like I just bit into the rind of the watermelon. I don’t taste much actual watermelon juice. Its both bitter and sweet, but not in a good way. Finishes pretty clean, and doesn’t leave much flavor to linger.

M: Pretty light/thin feeling beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Not a very good beer. It’s a weird flavor that I didn’t expect and really doesn’t deliver the promised watermelon taste. I find it extremely strange that this beer is one of the best sellers at Winking Lizard. I won’t be buying this beer and will stick to other offerings from 21st Amendment.

sdsurfer217, Jul 09, 2011

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

kob424, Aug 08, 2013

Mexicanhat, Aug 09, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +24%

A friend of mine made me try this before a Giants game and I really didn't expect to like it. I am not a fan of fruit beers having to deal with Pyramid's apricot ale when the ladies brought the beer. But I have to say that this was very good.

It poured a nice golden color with a bit of a head and a watermellon wedge on the rim of the glass.

It really didn't taste fruity at all, nice and crisp with hints of citrus like all good wheat beers should be and with just a hint of watermellon in the finish.

overall I have to say that the best thing about this beer is how refreshing it was. It was almost like drinking lemonade. Now whenever I head out to Pac Bell to catch the Giants I make sure to stop by the ammendment for a brew. It is a great way to start an evening of baseball.

Bang34, Feb 03, 2004

Dchou, Jun 08, 2014

anoctopus, Feb 15, 2012

camhelffrich, Aug 02, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance- Piss yellow, cloudy, very thin head

Smell- Cotton candy, lemon

Taste- Like a Bud Light with artificial melon flavor

Mouthfeel- Fizzy, overcarbonated, thin

Overall- Meh. More water than melon.

spacebear09, Aug 21, 2014
1.78/5  rDev -45.9%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why.

rbouton, Jan 24, 2010

stooges56, Jul 20, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

Jae9979, Jul 01, 2014

Niedzws, Aug 03, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -17%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with no head.

The aroma is very weak, the wheat comes through but you only catch a faint note of watermelon. After some time the watermelon emerges to be more identifiable. The taste is light and crisp, at which time the watermelon is the star player. Toward the end of drinking the wheat can comes through. Not much of a mouthfeel but really tasty for the summer days. Watermelon is present but not overpowering. It adds to the crispness, offering a little bite.

Recommendable for the summer months.

Tobe, Jul 23, 2012

Phranq, Aug 19, 2014
3.64/5  rDev +10.6%

Sandtownchuck, Aug 25, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can.

Ultimately, somewhat depressing. I had one of these last weekend and knew I didn't like it then, but decided to hold off until I had a second one at a later date. Does not smell particularly appetizing.

While there are certainly some mild watermelon notes in there that become even more prominent in aftertaste, there's also a not-entirely-horrible-but-not-altogether-pleasant-either mild tartness and tang and wheaty goodness, and some hint of cucumber. Starts to taste better once it's been out of the fridge a few minutes, but the smell still kills it a bit.

Ultimately when I think about it, I've never had a watermelon wheat before, but this is is probably _exactly what a watermelon wheat beer should taste like_. But when there's so many other outstanding beers out there, this is really a novelty.

It's gonna be tough to polish off the other 4 cans left in my fridge.

torchednoodle, Aug 31, 2008