Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +36.4%

4.14/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a perfect summer beer, and I feel that the Beer Advocate rating does not do justice to this sweet wheat. The first sip is a nice wheat beer, and there is a cumulative watermelon that gradually grows in your mouth. I could drink this beer all day sitting outside on a wharf on the beach. Delicious.

3.41/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Hazy golden straw color. Half a thumb of head with little to no lacing. The head fizzles down very quickly.
S: Slight watermelon tint with a light wheat aroma. Almost off putting.
T: My first sip was quite the surprise. It grew on me quick. A wheat flavor first hits the tongue ,but it is eventually overtaken by an artificial tart watermelon flavor.
M: At first it is a pleasant amount of carbonation to compliment the drink. As it sits it very quickly goes flat. Clean light watermelon finish.
Overall: I came to enjoy this beer. Don't plan to cuddle with it as it will go flat quick. This would be a nice beer to have on a summer day. A little pat on the back. Worth a try if you like lighter beer.

1.75/5  rDev -47%

3.4/5  rDev +3%

2.52/5  rDev -23.6%

We just had 21st amendment brewery become available here in Georgia; I really liked their IPA and figured I would give this one a try it being summer. Pours a watery yellow with very little yeast though the can was agitated per instructions. White head disappears almost immediately. Smell is rather sour and has hints of not so fresh vegetable matter. Taste is pretty much the same. I hope this is a bad batch because this, to me, is undrinkable.

2.87/5  rDev -13%

A: slightly hazy light straw. good inch and a half of fine-grained white head, supported by strong carbonation.

S: vegetal. melon. no strong hops. melon coming through a bit stronger.

T: creamy, watery, biscuty wheat with unidentifiable melon notes. the melon does cross over from "watermelon" to "cantalope" a bit; not desireable.

M: fine.

D: medium. The taste and novelty just wear out after a while. Had this been colder, or had I more of a thirst for a light refreshing beverage, it might work. On a hot summer day, maybe; on this cool fall day, not so much.

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks Nick of ThreeWiseMen for letting me try this. I'm pretty much expecting this to be a novelty.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color with a good amount of head and lacing. About what I would expect from a wheat beer.

Smell: It's hard to say if I like the smell or hate it. There's definitely wheat and yeast in there, but after that the smell is just strange. The watermelon smell is not very pleasant. It kind of smells like watermelon that has been sitting in the sun for a few days. But I guess that should be expected - it's fermented watermelon!

Taste: Almost seems like they were trying too hard to make it known that "hey! we put watermelon in our beer!" The watermelon is definitely the dominant taste with wheat making a cameo appearance and everything else is really toned down. That being said, I don't think the taste is horrible. It's just... interesting.

Mouthfeel: Grainy, watery, medium carbonation. I could see how this might be refreshing on a hot day. But it's the middle of winter.

Drinkability: I could see how this would be a good beer to just knock back. Especially in a social situation with people who just like easy to drink beers. It was actually much better than I thought it would be.

2.93/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A - I chose to drink this one from the can since that's a large part of their marketing for their beers. However, I haven't seen anything stating whether or not their intent is for you to pour it into a glass or not. The cans state that they keep a beer fresher, and then talks about recycling, etc... I would assume that the intent to to pour into a proper glass, and let the beer warm up to the proper temperature, though this takes much longer with a can coming out of a fridge. So, I said fuck it, and drank it right out of the can.

S - It smelled very fruity/watermellony(its a word), but almost candy like...very bubbalicious watermelon gum. There was also a "skunky" smell coming off of it that reminded me of imported german lagers or "turned" green bottle lagers.

T - I was surprised by the subtlty of the watermelon flavor, and the utter lack of wheat characteristics. This basically tastes like a macro-lager with a subtle watermelon undertone. I will try it again in a glass and warm it up to see if it opens up a bit. All-in-all, its not a bad beer, its simply unremarkable.

D - It was actually very drinkable... if you're looking for an easy drinking, refreshing macro-lager type beer to down 10 or 15 of at a party, but you still want to feel superior to people slamming natty light, this would work well.

Serving type: 12oz Can, no glass, 40 deg

2.78/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. It is a nice golden hue and slightly cloudy a very nice colored wheat. The head was gone within a minute almost as fast as a MGD.

Aroma is wheat and malt and sour watermelon like the wheat and malt not so much the melon. It reminds me of a jolly rancher.

Found the taste rather bland. The hint of watermelon is not that pleasant.

I found the mouthfeel a little flat could use more carbonation.

Kind of an average beer.

1.5/5  rDev -54.5%