Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

mp54790, Dec 13, 2012
2.24/5  rDev -31.9%

legod, Sep 08, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Strange way I got this beer. It was mailed to me from a friend of my daughter from San Francisco to Portland. Anyway this was a nice beer! Could drink tons of it as it is refreshing and tasty. And it does have a hint of watermelon to boot. I liked it and wish more were available up here.

06-22-2010
It's here! New Seasons

tompearson, Sep 15, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

The best part of this beer is the aroma, it's a pale yellow in color although I did only pour out a small amount for color review and drank it from the can as intended with this brew. I found the taste bland and for a beer hyped on watermelon with watermelon juice added the sweetness is non-existent. The finish is boring not leaving you with much of anything and not overly desire more.

JerseyDevil980, Jan 18, 2010

SDatoc, Dec 27, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I typically drink this guy right out of the can but have poured once or twice.

A: "Thin" looking. Clear, looks like a light beer almost.

S: Wheat, malt, mainly fruit. Generally weak

T: First time I had this I was surprised. The wheat sticks out, but its a little tangy, the watermelon backs it up. Post swallow is pleasant and where the watermelon taste kicks in. Its like drinking a sparkling waterman juice. I describe as watermelon cocktail wrapped around domestic lager.

M: Not fantastic, but different. Light and sweet.

D: I have picked up a 6-pack on a few occasions. First, its normally cheap (yay cans) and second, I love watermelon. I imagine if you're not a fan you won't dig it. Something I bring to a party if I have a few extra bucks but not in the regular rotation.

jss38, Oct 09, 2010

Melissaw1126, Apr 18, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

tstoll, Jul 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Carlbeer, Jul 11, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +17%

A: Light peach color and fully opaque even against the light. 2-finger head reduces to 1/2 finger quite quickly and then a bit slower to just a ring around the glass. I find it a very good-looking beer.

S: Wheat, with a fresh-cut quality to it. A hint of spice.

T: Very good, you can taste the melon, but it is not overdone. After the hit of melon, there is a brief bitter bite and then it fades with wheaty sweetness. The first few sips reminded of me of watermelon rind, but I cannot detect this after a while.

M: Refreshing and light, carbonation is a bit too low perhaps - I find it OK to overdo it with the bubbles in a summer beer.

O: Borderline between 3.5 and 4 for me, but I think in the end this is one of the few fruit-based brews that I can finish a six-pack of. Bonus points for not being a berry of some kind.

Atev, Jul 10, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

I am currently enjoying this beer after a long walk home from work in the summer heat:

A: very little, if any visible head. Slightly murky (as I would expect of an unfiltered wheat)
s: kind of like bud light. not impressed or excited upon smelling it.
t: this is where I got a bit confused... at first it tastes a bit bland a watery, but it rounds out a bit towards the swallow and finishes with a kick of watermelon followed by a bitterness. interesting and refreshing.
m: nothing special, high carbonation, watery.

stellashay, Jul 05, 2011

4.75/5  rDev +44.4%

kss5600, Aug 03, 2014

Hummingalong007, Sep 08, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The watermelon wheat looks like any unfiltered wheat beer: amber and cloudy. It has a white bubbly head that thins quickly. The nose is almost all wheat grain. It isn't until the first drink that you get a hint of watermelon. It is subtle, but noticeable, and adds a bit of sweetness to the beer. The closest I can get to describing the flavor is watermelon Jolly Rancher, but it not nearly that overpoweringly sweet. More like someone near you is eating a watermelon Jolly Rancher and you occasionally get a whiff. I was surprised to find that the watermelon is a nice complement to the wheatiness of the beer. Not a beer I would drink every day, but very good; much better than I expected.

phergy, May 20, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -21.6%

12 ounce can, cold, poured into a pint glass.

Pours a light pale yellow with barely an eighth of an inch of a foamy white head.

The smell has some strong hints of wheat but a very small presence of watermelon

It tastes almost how it smells, the wheat is the first to come out with a watermelon aftertaste

After drinking it I feel that despite it being hailed as a watermelon wheat beer the traces of watermelon are all but forgotten. The beer is light and makes for a good drink on a hot day but other than that not impressed.

shiptoshore, Jul 26, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

I discovered this beer when looking for something new at the liquor store tonight. I've always like watermelon beer, so I figured that I'd give it a shot. I wasn't sure about the can but since I poured it into a glass, it didn't really matter. The beer poured with a strong head that quickly disappeared. It's a yellow straw color. The smell is of wheat and watermelon but also of sour popcorn if you can imagine that. The taste makes up for any faults in smell and appearance. It tastes like a light wheat beer with a watermelon aftertaste. The watermelon taste is real and not artificial or too sweet. It reminds me more of actual watermelon and less of watermelon bubblegum. This is a good summer beer that goes down smooth.

MagicHatFan, Jun 12, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

jackfruit, Jul 31, 2012

Moondog, Jun 16, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A pale, straw-yellow and slightly cloudy beer with virtually no head.

S: A somewhat-too sour watermelon smell accompanies a decent wheat aroma.

T: It's almost all watermelon, but it's surprisingly just the right amount. It's not a watered down wheat, nor is it a liquid jolly rancher.

M: Hell or High Watermelon is a fairly light beer.

O: A great summer beer.