Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev +25.2%

Larenaud305, Aug 31, 2014
3.52/5  rDev +7%

Kyle_Rampage, Aug 26, 2014
3.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A pretty solid summer brew that it seems is becoming a love-it or hate-it beer around most parts. I get the complaints that it doesn't taste like real watermelon, but what really does? Hell, watermelon tastes like pure sugar sometimes depending on the quality of it.

Either way, this is an extremely sessionable beer that is light, smooth, and good for the summer. I can't imagine drinking this at any other time than on a hot day (and it's really, really, really good for working on cars in a hot driveway), so I should limit my review to that, I guess.

EIther way, I like it quite a bit in the summer but would never want to drink it at any other time.

jonrx, Sep 22, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

A. This poured pale yellow into the glass with about an 1 1/2 inch head that quickly dissapeared. Very light carbonation.

S. I was hit with the smell of watermelon immediatly but not in a good way. It almost smelled like a rotten watermelon, gross.

T. The taste does suprise me though. It is not overly sweet. It actually tastes like watermelon and just watermelon. It was as if I was eating a slice but was getting close to the rind of the fruit, so it is not gonna taste like a jolly rancher or italian ice.

M. Thin but not bad for a wheat beer.

D. I could pound a few of these on a hot day. Not too high in ABV so I could handle this. This is strictly a summer beer though.

gator0877, Aug 15, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Poured a clear yellow; not exactly what I expected from a wheat beer. Pretty sizable white head.

S: It has a faint hint of watermelon in the smell (not real watermelon, but something like a watermelon flavored jolly rancher). Smells clean and refreshing, though.

T: Somewhat yeasty, with a slight watermelon (once again, Jolly Rancher) flavor. It's not overbearing, but it's definitely there. However, the beer itself tastes a bit watery.

M: Fairly watery, pretty thin, and low on carbonation. Nothing too special.

D: Very very very easy to drink. It's thin, it's kind of watery, it's tastes decent. The novelty of the watermelon might wear off after just one can, but it's just super easy to drink a lot of this stuff.

Overall: It's definitely worth trying (at least for novelty sake). It's not a bad beer, but if you take out the watermelon aspect, this is just your run of the mill American wheat beer.

muqingjing, Nov 05, 2009

CaNdI-_-gIrL, Oct 08, 2012

mp54790, Dec 13, 2012
2.24/5  rDev -31.9%

legod, Sep 08, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Strange way I got this beer. It was mailed to me from a friend of my daughter from San Francisco to Portland. Anyway this was a nice beer! Could drink tons of it as it is refreshing and tasty. And it does have a hint of watermelon to boot. I liked it and wish more were available up here.

06-22-2010
It's here! New Seasons

tompearson, Sep 15, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

The best part of this beer is the aroma, it's a pale yellow in color although I did only pour out a small amount for color review and drank it from the can as intended with this brew. I found the taste bland and for a beer hyped on watermelon with watermelon juice added the sweetness is non-existent. The finish is boring not leaving you with much of anything and not overly desire more.

JerseyDevil980, Jan 18, 2010

SDatoc, Dec 27, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I typically drink this guy right out of the can but have poured once or twice.

A: "Thin" looking. Clear, looks like a light beer almost.

S: Wheat, malt, mainly fruit. Generally weak

T: First time I had this I was surprised. The wheat sticks out, but its a little tangy, the watermelon backs it up. Post swallow is pleasant and where the watermelon taste kicks in. Its like drinking a sparkling waterman juice. I describe as watermelon cocktail wrapped around domestic lager.

M: Not fantastic, but different. Light and sweet.

D: I have picked up a 6-pack on a few occasions. First, its normally cheap (yay cans) and second, I love watermelon. I imagine if you're not a fan you won't dig it. Something I bring to a party if I have a few extra bucks but not in the regular rotation.

jss38, Oct 09, 2010

Melissaw1126, Apr 18, 2012

49er, Mar 05, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

tstoll, Jul 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Carlbeer, Jul 11, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +17%

A: Light peach color and fully opaque even against the light. 2-finger head reduces to 1/2 finger quite quickly and then a bit slower to just a ring around the glass. I find it a very good-looking beer.

S: Wheat, with a fresh-cut quality to it. A hint of spice.

T: Very good, you can taste the melon, but it is not overdone. After the hit of melon, there is a brief bitter bite and then it fades with wheaty sweetness. The first few sips reminded of me of watermelon rind, but I cannot detect this after a while.

M: Refreshing and light, carbonation is a bit too low perhaps - I find it OK to overdo it with the bubbles in a summer beer.

O: Borderline between 3.5 and 4 for me, but I think in the end this is one of the few fruit-based brews that I can finish a six-pack of. Bonus points for not being a berry of some kind.

Atev, Jul 10, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

I am currently enjoying this beer after a long walk home from work in the summer heat:

A: very little, if any visible head. Slightly murky (as I would expect of an unfiltered wheat)
s: kind of like bud light. not impressed or excited upon smelling it.
t: this is where I got a bit confused... at first it tastes a bit bland a watery, but it rounds out a bit towards the swallow and finishes with a kick of watermelon followed by a bitterness. interesting and refreshing.
m: nothing special, high carbonation, watery.

stellashay, Jul 05, 2011

4.75/5  rDev +44.4%

kss5600, Aug 03, 2014

Hummingalong007, Sep 08, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The watermelon wheat looks like any unfiltered wheat beer: amber and cloudy. It has a white bubbly head that thins quickly. The nose is almost all wheat grain. It isn't until the first drink that you get a hint of watermelon. It is subtle, but noticeable, and adds a bit of sweetness to the beer. The closest I can get to describing the flavor is watermelon Jolly Rancher, but it not nearly that overpoweringly sweet. More like someone near you is eating a watermelon Jolly Rancher and you occasionally get a whiff. I was surprised to find that the watermelon is a nice complement to the wheatiness of the beer. Not a beer I would drink every day, but very good; much better than I expected.

phergy, May 20, 2008