2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,474 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
BurpingtonDC

Maryland

Poured from a can into a pint glass.
A - Nothing special A pale straw color with minimal head and no retention.

S - I kind of liked the smell of watermelon, but other than that there is just the slightest hint of wheat.

T - Unspectacular but pleasantly refreshing.

M -Very little. A lot like macro.

O - OK paradoxically, I enjoyed this beer, but not because it resembled anything I would call "craft beer." I would consider this nice and interesting lawnmower beer. Sort of like the pleasure one would get drinking a Pabst or Natty Boh but with watermelon--which ain't a bad thing!

08-02-2011 01:06:23 | More by BurpingtonDC
JimKal

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

I picked this up because I've enjoyed other offerings from 21st Amendment and it looked intriguing. I poured it from a can into a hefeweisen glass. It pours with one of those great wheat beer magnificent heads. A bit of the head lingers throughout the beer.

You can definitely pick up the watermelon in the aroma.

I had trouble rating the taste. It does deliver on what it promises. I now know I'm not a fan of watermelon in my beer. But, if that is appealing to you, this one delivers it.

Delivers typical mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

I'm glad I tried it. It delivers as promised but this won't be repeat for me. I'll finish the six pack as this meets my summer profile of preferring lighter brews.

05-14-2012 12:08:13 | More by JimKal
TheEremite

3.73/5  rDev +15.1%

This beer gets a lot of flack, but I actually really enjoy it. It tastes a little artificial, but it is actually very refreshing. The watermelon is more pronounced than the wheat, but it goes down pretty well on a hot day. It is refreshing and flavorful and I would (will) be buying it again.

08-10-2009 18:27:54 | More by TheEremite
psiweaver

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +48.1%

in the past couple of weeks i've had it out of the can directly and poured it into a glass.

It pours a very nice light yellow with a small white head.

Smells of summer to me, with a hint of watermelon and a nice yeasty fresh smell.

Taste is perfect, you get a hint of watermelon as you drink it, other than that its got some nice spicing with the wheat and overall is just an amazing beer for hanging out bbqing and enjoying summer/warm weather. This is my new favorite summer beer.

Great light mouthfeel, with just enough kick to get your mouth excited.

Drikability is amazing. I could sit there and drink this all day absolutely fantastic.

08-05-2010 18:36:12 | More by psiweaver
Kranders

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Typically with fruit beers you'll get something overly sweet to the point that it just tastes fake. Especially with Watermelon beers, they often just taste like drinking a Jolly Rancher. Surprisingly, that was the not the case here, and while there was a ton of watermelon flavor, it really wasn't that overly sweet syrup flavor. Pretty good I'd say, not something I'd get all the time, but I did enjoy it.

11-19-2011 03:44:18 | More by Kranders
yesferro

Mississippi

3.68/5  rDev +13.6%

I received a can of this thanks to kplynch and RblWthACoz. I couldn't wait to try this oddball beer, I poured it in my hoegaarden glass and the smell hit me pretty hard, I think you could smell the watermelon on the other side of the room. The taste of it surprised me, I did not get the jolly rancher flavor, it's more like a watermelon rind taste to me. Goes down really smooth, not something I would drink a whole lot of but I can imagine this would be good on a really hot day. It is rather tart and refreshing.

10-06-2008 22:21:34 | More by yesferro
dborginis

4.4/5  rDev +35.8%

Hazy gold, mildly turbid. Clean, sweet, slightly fruity smell. Taste: sour watermelon, sweetness of a wheat, hops linger. Can see myself craving this as a replacement for a sour beer when sours/wilds are not available. Really good balance among the 3 tastes w/o losing anything. Mouthfeel is light, watery. Drinkability is excellent.

06-29-2009 23:12:37 | More by dborginis
cpone

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Hazy yellow/amber color. White head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Watermelon, obviously. Get some bready yeast in there. It's not bad, pretty interesting - just doesn't really smell like beer.

T: You do taste watermelon, but it's not obnoxious or sweet. The taste is watery though, and there isn't a whole lot of depth to this beer. Some wheat in there.

M: Very light. Finish is watery

D: At first, i'd say despite the lacklusterness of this beer that it was actually pretty drinkable. But about 10 min after i finished, i didn't really feel that great and the thought of another wasn't very appealing.

07-16-2009 03:08:48 | More by cpone
simmons

2.7/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: hazy golden straw color with a thin white head lasting only seconds. No rising co2 bubbles.

Aroma: mainly a wheat aroma followed by a yeast aroma. This yeast aroma is not of cloves or banana esters just a "muddy" yeast nose. No watermellon aroma either.

flavor: strong wheat with no other malt coming through. Also nohops at all nor any of this watermellon I hear about.

Mouthfeel: This beer is lightly carbonated, and fairly thin. As for balance it just tastes like an average wheat.

Drinkability: Don't get me wrong this is not a bad beer. There is nothing about it that I fully dislike about it. My issues with this beer is that there is no watermellon aroma or flavor (which is the reason my old lady convinced me to put down that ipa to buy this instead). I enjoyed the wheat & is an ok american wheat with nothing really standing out to set this beer apart from the others. While it's not a bad beer it is not worth the price I paid for this 6 pack. I would rather spend my money on another choice in the same style of beers. Note: if you see a single bottle pick it up & give it a try.

06-16-2010 20:47:36 | More by simmons
Brew_42

2.85/5  rDev -12%

Kind of a let down. Picked up a six pack of this for a really hot day in hopes of sipping at a refreshing summer beer. The watermelon flavor doesn’t really mesh with the beer well. It tastes really artificial like watermelon candy. If you want a watermelon beer I would recommend Thomas Hooker if possible.

07-20-2013 06:45:22 | More by Brew_42
jorg2619

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

I had heard of 21 A and was excited to try one of their beers. This was my first watermelon flavored beer. the pour was a pale thin looking beer with a fluffy almost white head which dies quickly after pouring. the beer smells like (suprise) watermelon. The taste is balanced with a low alcohol content, very little if any hops and a very subtle touch of watermelon flavor. I am impressed that they pulled this beer off.

12-22-2009 22:55:42 | More by jorg2619
Lucklys

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

With the initial pour, it appears rather thin, colored a clear pale honey-yellow. Thick wisps of a wheaty haze fall as it sits, eventually clouding the entire brew and darkening the color to a more uniform honey-gold – though the thickness remains 0n the thin side. The carbonation is quick and sparkling, erupting as it hits the glass and building a nice 3-finger thick head of thin, lacy foam that sticks around for quite a while afterwards, falling into a gossamer ring and sheer patches as I sip it. While the bubbles seem hardy enough, they refuse to stick to the side of the glass, leaving no trace it was ever there.

The aroma is very light, carrying hints of watermelon and fresh-cut rind, minimal hops, faint grainy notes and some wheat malt, but none are heavy enough to make a lasting impression until the beer is near room-temperature.

Hell or High Watermelon holds a light body, dry mouthfeel, and moderate semi-spicy carbonation. The clean, crisp authentic watermelon flavor is immediately present at the forefront, and fades into a lighter, sweet melon tang while touches of grainy wheat and malt follow through to the end. The profile of this beer overall is very light, but that doesn’t keep it from being the perfect thirst quencher, especially when it’s 115º outside. As much as I disagree with the current stereotypes of women and (fruit) beer, I think that this could be an awesome first step into the craft beer world for both men and women who are still trying to become interested and want to ease themselves in.

07-22-2011 00:15:02 | More by Lucklys
SPRichard

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

new entry in our market here in the Northeast so i'd give it a shot

can says to agitate before opening since there is yeast in the can...a couple of quick shakes before opening produced a billowing head that i had to let settle before pouring the remainder of the can in my pint glass...once settled the head was no where to be seen...bright yellow....minimal carbonation

strong scent of watermelon upon bringing up to my nose....some hints of wheat here and there but watermelon is dominant

watermelon flavor coats the mouth after each sip....strong but not cloying....good balance with the wheat flavor

a little thin, but i think this along with the watermelon flavor make it more drinkable...not much in the way of carbonation

i'm drinking this on a cool rainy night, but this would be a nice deck/beach/boat beer on a summer afternoon...might also be a nice gateway beer for the ladies out there that don't like the taste of beer

06-05-2009 00:47:58 | More by SPRichard
HeightsEats

3.53/5  rDev +9%

This is an odd beer, but they pull off the watermelon-wheat combination fairly well. The yeast is clearly American rather than European, so the yeastiness is subtle and not very complex. The aroma is fruitier than the flavor, which is a fairly typical American Wheat with just a hint of upfront sweetness and sourness in the aftertaste. The watermelon is natural tasting but almost closer to watermelon peel (which I've had pickled) than fresh watermelon.

This would be a very drinkable and refreshing summer beer.

04-06-2010 00:59:03 | More by HeightsEats
Sky2625

Washington

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can to a standard pint glass (this review from notes taken 7/21/11).

A - Pours a slightly cloudy orange/golden straw color, with 1/2-finger of off-white head that fizzled away quickly. Particles of sediment in suspension, and a little bit of thing lacing.

S - Very mild nose, with a bit of grassy, sunny wheat hidden within a dominating melon-rind/cucumber scent.

T - Mild flavor as well, semi-sweet melon flavor more reminiscent of the white part of a watermelon rind than the pink meat. A bit of sodawater bitterness on the finish, with a sweet wheaty aftertaste.

M - Lighter body, though not thin or watery. Fizzy carbonation bites the edges of the tongue.

D - Light flavor and body makes this crisp and refreshing. The watermelon isn't all that sweet, though it still dominates the mild flavor. It tastes "cool", not bright or warm like a regular wheat beer would, though it didn't have as much flavor as I wanted it to.

As an afterthought, it's "cool" flavor paired really well with spicy Mexican food I ate after my initial tastes.

07-23-2011 17:12:56 | More by Sky2625
seh410

3.83/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance: Pale yellow, minimal white head. Looks like a light commercial beer almost.

Aroma: Smells fresh and sweet with hints of cotton candy. Definitely does not smell like artificial jolly-rancher watermelon flavor, which I was afraid of. In fact, there really isn't much watermelon on the nose at all, just sweetness.

Taste: Minimal watermelon taste, with slightly bitter aftertaste lingering. Most certainly does not taste how I expected it to - that is, like cloyingly fake watermelon. Mostly just tastes how it smells, sweet like cotton candy with a crisp freshness that I like.

Mouthfeel: Minimal carbonation, feels very creamy in the mouth.

Drinkability: Pretty high. Though I wouldn't add this to my usual rotation of beers, I can see it being a BBQ or summer beach staple. It is light and very easy to put back a couple.

Notes: For some reason, this beer tastes much better directly out of the can. When poured into a glass, some of the creaminess is lost, which I feel really detracts from the overall experience of the beer.

06-04-2010 12:29:31 | More by seh410
DrewKid4

New Hampshire

2.2/5  rDev -32.1%

Served in a can from Brick Store Pub, Atlanta, GA

A: Pale orange with no head. Seemed to look like a flat watermelon soda than a beer.

S: Hardly watermelon or even beer. If something can smell sour, this did.

T: Like watermelon juice and carbonated water. No malts or hops.

M: Dry and uninteresting. The watermelon taste had to grow on me. Maybe there was some wheat flavor but once this was in my mouth, I didn't care to think about favors anymore, just to get rid of it as soon as possible.

D: I'm wondering if this was on the shelf too long or something because I had abad experience with this brew. I would have assumed this to be a lot lower rated on here than it is. I would not find this drinkable in a beer situation at all.

10-13-2010 16:38:32 | More by DrewKid4
kimbo33

2.05/5  rDev -36.7%

Looks very nice. Good lacing and pours bubbly. The smell and taste are overwhelmingly "fake" watermelon, less like the melon and more like a jolly rancher. Going down it comes off way too sweet and does not leave a nice aftertaste.

I would not get this again.

07-16-2012 02:46:20 | More by kimbo33
mgironta

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

This brew poured with a one finger white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a clear, golden-yellow color with mild visible carbonation. The nose was very muted. I only got a hint of watermelon. I remember this having more of a nose the last time that I had it. On the taste, the first thing that hit me was how much more carbonation there was on the taste than what I could see in the glass. The next thing that hit me was that this tasted exactly like a liquid watermelon jolly rancher to me. This was completely saturated with lots of artificial watermelon, which wasn’t all that pleasant. After that, I really didn’t get anything else. Any other flavors were completely hidden by the watermelon. The finish was quick, again with watermelon. I remember enjoying this beer much more…I guess my tastes have changed. I would not rush back to have this.

09-16-2012 23:04:33 | More by mgironta
beerad666

4.2/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Now at first a Watermelon wheat may not sound very appealing but you just need to give this guy one sip to see why it's a great backyard summer beer.

Pouring out a light hazy golden yellow. With a tiny white head that vanishes suddenly. The smell is what you'd expect, rather sugary with heavy watermelon and wheat. The wheat is light with a small watermelon back. It's subtle but very much there. Nothing very complex but really I don't want too much in this guy. At 4.9% it's perfect for spending the day hanging out with friends or family without having something that's going to knock you on your ass.

07-05-2010 17:31:50 | More by beerad666
Bauzen

3.68/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is nice alternative to conventional, off the shelf, light beer. It makes me think of summer and it's perfect on a hot day. Can't say much more about it... There isn't much depth or complexity - don't think they were going for that.

For what it's worth... It's better on tap.

05-15-2013 00:22:42 | More by Bauzen
montecristo2

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured into a wheat beer glass.

Pours a golden color. Decent two fingered head.

Very clear, not like traditional wheat beers- must be filtered.

I personally did not like the taste. I agree with another review that it had an artificial watermelon taste, but at the same time, I could see how some might like the flavor. It could be refreshing, but it just did not suit my palate for wheat beers.

Give it a try if you're looking for a fruit beer that is not overwhelmingly fruity.

07-19-2009 16:54:03 | More by montecristo2
kirkmichel

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not going to do a full review on this right now, but I think this is pretty decent; not very complex in the initial taste, but the watermelon is very well done. Since I'm in the middle of a snowstorm in February, I think it will be better if I re-review this beer in the warmer months, and when i'm not in the midst of a beer tasting marathon!

But if you like fruited beers, you'll enjoy this - just don't expect tremendous complexity.

...
After a summer of drinking this periodically, my review:

Appearance -- Pours a clear pale gold, with a minimal white head. Surprised that it doesn't have more umph in the carbonation since it is canned, but I'm not exactly sure why I expected that.

Smell - Toasty malt, wheat, very slight sweet watermelon, and a bit of hops. It really doesn't smell much like I was expecting - more like malt than fruit or fresh wheat, but still like good beer!

Taste - This tastes like a wheat beer, but the aftertaste is a bit like that weird taste cereal leaves in your mouth. I'm not sure what the correct descriptor is for that. The malt seems more prominent than in most good wheat beers, but it's still well balanced, and it has a nice tinge of jolly rancher watermelon. What is lacking is complexity - probably needs more fruit and some other flavors/spices added to round it out. In other words, I love the idea of this beer, so I'm hoping they experiment with the formula a little bit more for next summer.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light body with low carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm still a fan of this for hot outdoor events during the summer - it sure beats a miller light! Heavy enough to feel like you're actually drinking something, but light enough that you could have a few because it's easy on the palate. A great summer beer.

02-15-2010 23:05:28 | More by kirkmichel
corylew

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Pours straw yellow with a 1/4th inch tall white head that dissipates quickly.

The smell is what took me off guard. It really does smell like watermelon, but it's not like a wine cooler. It has malt and a little hop smell with a strike of jolly rancher-like watermelon.

Taste is of fake watermelon. Like I said though, it's not just watermelon. It's like watermelon that compliments the flavors of the beer itself.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice and light in body but still flavorful as a beer itself and sweet watermelon taste.

Overall: Watermelon is a difficult beer to get right, and these guys certainly made a good example of it. Yeah the taste isn't going to taste like biting into a real watermelon. Watermelon itself has very little flavor other that sugar. Watermelon flavoring is still delicious though, and being a big fan of it, I found this beer to be great.

10-28-2011 05:07:19 | More by corylew
Ilafan

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Watermelon beer? What will they think of next? Very little head that lasted a very short time. I, personally, could not detect any discernible smell. However, the taste was exactly as advertised by the name. Resheshing, crisp watermelon dominates. I like its uniqueness. Hey, does drinking this count as a serving of fruit?!?

08-19-2012 22:50:48 | More by Ilafan