Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Reviews: 713 | Ratings: 2,616
3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: flat looking yellowish orange color with some spots of foam on the surface.

Smell: light watermelon aroma is all that is detectable.

Taste: very mild wheat profile with soft watermelon tones and little to no bitterness. Pretty one dimensional in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body. Mildly crisp throughout and a brief watermelon aftertaste leaves the mouth quickly.

Drinkability: this one did not do it at all for me as I had a hard time finishing the glass. Some props go out for a fruit beer in a can.

3.67/5  rDev +11.6%

I was in Ohio and we picked up a 6 pack of cans from local store. The beer poured a hazy golden yellow..almost like a farmhouse cider, tiny white bubbly head, with no lacing. There was definitely some melon in the aroma and also in the taste. Malt and wheat balanced the beer in both smeel and taste. The mouthfeel was light in body and good carbonation. Overall a decent beer, probably better served in the summer.

3.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Shaken as per instructions on the can.

A - ~60% opaque banana yellow. Huge head on a sturdy our with a relatively loose bubble structure. Poor lace and retention.

S - Wheat, watermelon rind, honey, butter crackers.

T - A nice mirror of the nose. Wheat, honey, butter cracker. Lightly sweet watermelon juice and candied watermelon rind.

M - Light/medium body. Fairly full for the style. Sweet finish, but not oppressively so.

O - Nice, light, sweet and refreshing.

2.76/5  rDev -16.1%

CAN you believe that I haven't tasted anything from 21st Amendment? Now I have. Hooray I guess. From a 12 ounce can split with my friend Ricardo, on to the beer:

Somewhat of a pale orange in color with little in the head or retention department. I expected some watermelon in the nose, but didn't get any. All I got was a little what malt and nothing else. Weak.

Its taste finally brings some of that watermelon to the table. Well, the first part screams boring American wheat beer, then the watermelon comes in and rescures the beer from certain boringness. Light and prickly in the mouth.

If it weren't for the watermelon, this beer would be as exciting as bathwater.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

On Tap at Old Eagle Tavern in a pint glass. I've been avoiding this beer for quite some time.

Hell or High looks pretty in the glass with a light bronze color with some gold trimmings. All together the beer is very still and dead looking with the head dying by the time it got to me, no lace on this one. Looks more like a pale ale than a fruit beer.

The smell is very grainy with some some wheat in the background. Only getting trace sniffs of watermelon with a whole lot of grass. This one is earthy in every sense of the word and not on the sweet smelling side.

And by god, this stuff is very putrid. It' s not the most offensive beer in the world, or perhaps this is an old keg, but this tastes like bad homebrew. Old faded hops give way to a big grassy smack in the palate, like an old IPA. The watermelon is light and not artificial tasting which is a good thing. Pale malt with lemon grass. I don't know what else to say.

Feel is on the less than medium side with a sharp carb hit despite the beer looking dead. The alcohol is not tasted, yet the aftertaste of old grass is off putting. I thinks this may be a old keg, no way 21st would put out a brew in such large quanity with it being a dud, or would they.

This is a very popular beer with new to craft drinkers. My brother swears by it and he is a BMC guy, so I guess there is some appeal to the non beer geek to seek this out with the watermelon addition. I need to try this from a can, but my draft score will remain.

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy, golden color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Decent retention and good lacing. Smells of watermelon, slight wheat, hint of hop, and slight pale malt. Fits the style of an a Fruit / Vegetable beer more than an American Pale Wheat Ale, because the watermelon dominates. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of watermelon, slight wheat, hint of hop, and slight pale malt. Overall, while this was a very refreshing brew, I wish there was more of a wheat backbone to balance the brew.

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Ive been wanting to try this one for a while, found it on tap.

Appearance: Bright gold in color with a soapy head and some lace.

Smell: Bready/Biscuity malt and just a faint whiff of fruit, not quite sure if it is watermelon.

Taste: Standard wheat beer notes coupled with a light sour tang of watermelon. With the amount of watermelon juice used, it adds only a subtlety to the beer. Almost like dropping a watermelon jolly rancher into a light beer. Still interesting and certainly an achievement of what they were going for.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: The watermelon flavor was there the whole time, and was very intriguing. I wouldn't want more than one though, good for a novelty but average drinkability.

3.36/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks goes out to BrewerB for this brew.

Pours a nice hazy yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger foamy white head, which dissappears quickly, leaving some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, grassy, very slight watermelon notes. The taste is better with watermelon, malty, slightly grassy. Medium body. Drinkable, tasty brew.

3.82/5  rDev +16.1%

12oz can from numbeercruncher.... a complete unexpected extra.. Thanks a bunch Matt.

It's been a loonng week at work.. and I want something not too complex.. more refreshing.. Let's hope the Watermelon Wheat Works. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

1" head.. minimal lacing... descent cap though.. brew is glowing straw gold when held to a light...

There is definitely some watermelon in there.. sorta funky.. not in a bad way.. just not great.. some spiciness... the fruitiness reminds me of when you get to close to the rind when eating watermelon..

3/3.5/4/4/4
The flavor has a much bigger watermelon essence.. much better than the nose.. the aroma sorta smells too "rotting watermelon".. the palate is a nice burst of watermelon "jolly rancher".. that is waaaay too much of an overstatement.. but the fruit essence is there and somehow still makes me think of fresh fruit.. it's not sweet... in fact.. the finish is fairly dry with an unexpected melon finale. sorta grainy throughout.. but that lends to the bigger picture and lingering fruity finish.. really pretty good.. I like it... That said, I can't imagine ever wanting more than one in a sitting... or probably even a week. If I had this available, i would certainly give it in a nice glass to my non beer drinking friends and say, "Come on.. this is good... I know you like it... just admit it"... Lite body and good carbonation would make this a very nice lawn mowing brew...

Numbeercruncher is certainly one of the most generous traders I've ever had the opportunity of doing business with... Matt... thanks again...

3.85/5  rDev +17%

12 oz. can,

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a medium white head, good retention, no lacing, looks a lot like a witibier.

S: Lots of watermelon, smells a little on the artificial side, but not to bad, it's a nice smell.

T: Big bite of watermelon and sour candy bite at first. Flavour turns wheatier and away from the fruit flavour to finish, dry cereal.

M: Definitely on the acidic side, about the same pH I'd reckon as orange juice, very crisp and refreshing, has a soda quality about it.

D: Not bad at all, a great summer beer, the idea of mixing watermelon with a wheat beer base certainly works here.

2.77/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On-tap at the brew-pub of 21st Amendment complete with a water-melon wedge on the rim of the glass (4.9% ABV).

Hazy gold body with a thin excuse for a head on top.

Not a lot going on in the nose or taste really: some watery wheatness just about detectable and I suppose some water melon hints as well.

OK, but not my sort of beer. Refreshing but not a winter beer in my eyes, which is when I had it.

3.88/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a light, slightly hazy golden amber with a one finger white head that dissipates slowly to a thin cap. Aroma of melon (smells a bit more like cantelope, actually) and light wheat. Flavor is sweet wheat, watermelon (distinct in the flavor) with hints of caramel as it finishes slightly dry with light grassy hops. Light bodied, as appropriate. A pleasant surprise, I was not expecting much from this combination, but the light watermelon add a delicate fruit sweetness to the wheat which worked quite well. I would definitely think about this for lawn mowing. This would have been too light for a witbier, but delivers exactly what it advertises as a watermelon wheat.

2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

An elusive beer just arrived locally.

Cloudy amber colored beer with a tall white head.

Smell is wheat and citrus with a faint vegetable funk that smells more like pumpkin than anything else.

Taste starts out neutral with a fairly strong watermelon caramel flavor. Something like a wheat beer in a glass that got some Midori dropped in it. Tastes sort of like old candy.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Blech! IPA Please! NOT the tastiest beer this brewer makes. Worth a shot to taste the hype.

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat actually bears the colour of a golden delicious apple. It has lightly bleached yellow skin and a thin film that imparts a slightly waxy complexion. It is absolutely jammed full with tirelessly energetic bubbles. Although its head appears unsound, it manages to leave a shotgun spray of lace.

The aroma tips you off about this being one juicy flavoured beer. It smells - as one might expect - a little like watermelon and also carries just a hint of bubble gum. It seems like this should be just as (if not, more so) tart than sweet, which is a bit of reassurance. The extra dimension gives me the impression this will be one interesting wheat beer.

I've sampled the beer a few times before tonight but I never remember it tasting *this* much like watermelon! Just imagine biting into a big, fresh, juicy slice of watermelon. What I especially like is that it doesn't have a sugary, sweet synthetic flavouring. Nope, it really does have the authentic, convincing, bona fide taste of watermelon. Yum!

And it's a very good thing too because I can't imagine a light beer flavoured with candy fruit syrup being all that drinkable, except maybe to those in the wine-spritzer/alcopop cooler crowd. Whether it's authenticity, balance or that lovely tart note at the conclusion of each sip, using 400 lbs. of actual watermelon in each batch really pays its dividends.

I remember spending an entire day walking through Rome in the blistering hot Italian August heat. We were tired, sweaty, and dehydrated. When we came upon the sight of a street vendor selling watermelon slices we thought it was a desert mirage. Those slices were heavenly. I don't think anything in that circumstance could have been more refreshing...

So in combining the memory of that particular watermelon - so juicy, so refreshing - with my love of a nice American wheat beer Shaun O'Sullivan has created something that for me has unimaginable drinking potential. I really liked this beer and consider it gimmicky if you want but I maintain it would be a godsend on any hot summer day.

3.85/5  rDev +17%

Had this on-tap at the Rogue Public House in San Francisco. Pours a very hazy golden with a thin, white, swirly cap of a head. Smells vaguely sour with wheat and watermelon rind, a touch of lemon, and a tiny bit of sweetness. The taste is similar, with more white rind flavor than red juiciness, but as opposed to the aroma, there is at least some sweet, juicy watermelon here which adds something to the more sour and herbal rind and lemon flavors. Crisp, refreshing, and worth trying. A fairly interesting beer.

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured a hazy medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was little retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light wheat malt and a bitter green watermelon rind.

The taste consisted of an upfront bitter watermelon rind and a mild wheat spice.

The mouthfeel was light and dry.

Overall a decent summer wheat ale. Not what I was expecting out of a watermelon beer.

3.12/5  rDev -5.2%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

3.38/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: hazy light golden color with very little head. Not bad, but not very exciting.

Smell: a little sweet and just a tiny hint of watermelon. There's also a little sourness, but really, the aroma is too low-volume to appreciate much.

Taste: much more watermeloney than the aroma. There is a touch of citrusy wheat flavor in the malt and the watermelon is thankfully nice and understated. It's not my favorite beer in the world, but it is pretty interesting.

Mouthfeel: medium, medium-light body with an OK level of carbonation. It's alright.

Drinkability: pretty refreshing and moderately drinkable. It's not fantastic, but would do in a pinch on a hot day.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

A lightly hazy, pale orange colored beer with a smallish white head. Retention and lace on the low side, but still not a bad looking beer. Aroma has a definite touch of watermelon, as well as lightly sweet malt, wheat, graininess.

The flavor is a bit disappointing; the watermelon presence is much lower than I’d hoped, kind of subtle and bland, with more generic grainy wheat and an out of place bitterness in the finish. A touch of bready malt flavor as well.

Medium-light bodied, with lively carbonation, fairly crisp and refreshing. Overall, however, I don’t think I’d buy this one again; the easy drinking quenching appeal of this beer is overshadowed by an unbalanced and lackluster flavor.

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy light brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells like watermelon with some wheat. Taste like it smells, wheat and watermelon, though not overpowering, good balance. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is highly drinkable. Overall this is an interesting and quality brew.

3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Much thanks to TomDecapolis for supplying this brew that I've been waiting months to try...
Appears a hazy pale gold with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar.
Smell is of watermelon jolly ranchers, & obvious watermelon water ice jumping out without anything else more that stands out. It may sound appealing from a distance but it's really one dimensional.
The taste is of light sugar, bubblegum, and watermelon rind. I really don't know what else to say about it. It's not really bland...it's just uncomplex.
Mouthfeel is fizzy, light, yet very interesting.
I give 21st Amendment props for making this beer. It sounds like something that I would try for one of my homebrews. I'm sure they did a much better job than what I would've attempted.

3.17/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Hazy straw color. Light-medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Faint watermelon and hop nose, flavor is light funky watermelon, slight hoppy finish. $2.49 for a 12oz green can from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma. Best by Jun 2016. Can has this as a seasonal release.

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

A: Poured a cloudy light gold color with a nice white head.

S: Nose is light wheat and faint watermelon.

T: Taste is a good balance but thin as well. Wheat up front but I tasted the watermelon from beginning to end

M: Mouthfeel was nice, light and crisp.

D: I could drink these all day long!

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a hazy dark yellow body with a nice off-white head of soft peaks that quickly turns bubble and is gone before the second sip. A strong carbonation of big bubbles keeps racing through the beer.

S- The aroma of pale malt has a white bread crust aroma that has hints of caramel malt coming through softly as it warms and a green pine hint followed by a faint watermelon note.

T- The taste of white wheat bread has some caramel hints that lead to a pleasant watermelon taste that is not sweet and not artificial. The watermelon blends into a soft hop note that finishes the beer nicely.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a fizzy finish that really cleans out the taste.

D- This beer really works. As it warms the watermelon becomes softer and the caramel malt hints and wheat bread flavors grow. This is a very easy beer to drink and I could have several in a session.

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a lemon-gold with a bright white fluffy 1 finger head that settled to a polished surface rather quickly with no lacing. A light display of effervesce, with an overall appearance of decent.

S: fruity with fresh watermelon and raspberries. Surprised here, was expecting an overkill of artificial flavoring but was rater quite subdued with a freshness of real watermelon. There is a bit of sugary orange juice (sunny d) as well as noticeable soft fresh wheat coming through. The scent was rather light to medium in strength and disappointing at first, but soon came to appreciate its subtleness and fresh fruity unique nature the more I explored it.

T: The flavor delivered some sunny d orange juice notes as well dominant watermelon flavors that quenched the tongue. Once again was expecting an overkill of artificial watermelon and fruit bomb similar to a wine cooler but the overall flavor came off very subdued and fresh against a pale wheat backing. Crisp, refreshing and fruity with just enough watermelon presence to make you appreciate it without becoming overbearing like many other fruit beers. The finish find a soft tartness of light orange juice along as a soft floral hopping. Overall was quite impressed on how this was pulled off, not an easy thing to do. The wheat malting takes a back seat to the fruity watermelon nature but still contributes more then the average fruit beer.

M: a medium viscosity, smooth with just a tingle of carbonation detected. Sadly it was just ok though in comparison to the rest of the drink coming of just average.

D: Would give this a decent drinkability factor rating here. Soft fruity nature with a decent crispness lends its way to a decent summer picnic quencher. The balance lets just enough of the wheat malting come through while the fruity watermelon taste comes through but never overstays its welcome. Good for several at a time like I said as a summer picnic quencher or tweener beer to beat the heat and something unique with a twist flavorwise.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery