1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,467 | Reviews: 583 | Show All Ratings:
mitchfor3

3.95/5  rDev +22.3%

Sampled at the 21st Amendment is SF.

This is a really interesting beer. Presentation was cheesy - in a weizenglass with a slice of watermelon garnishing the lip of the glass. Still, the tropical feeling was welcome and while gimmicky, it was also creative.

Beer was a hazy straw color with a fizzy white head.

Tastes and smells remarkably like watermelon. I think they nailed this one. Delightfully refreshing and went great with 21st's delicious pizza. In my experience, fruit beers tend not to make the best session beers, and this one is no exception. For me, drinkability was hampered by the uniqueness of the taste - one was enough.

Really an ideal beer to pick up in cans. Perfect for the beach!

08-21-2006 23:29:25 | More by mitchfor3
GoreStorm

4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

i was skeptical about the can...turned out to be pretty good...

poured a mildly hazy gold color.
the head was fluffy and stayed throughout.
scent of grain and watermelon and fruit
taste is the same, much more pronounced, some light strawberry flavor also. very nice.
solid wheat beer mouthfeel.
very drinkable. i put back 5 cans and didn't flinch.

09-14-2008 09:40:21 | More by GoreStorm
dino213aa

1.78/5  rDev -44.9%

What was I thinking? Was I lured in by the packaging? Beer pours with a weak head which dissipates quickly. If it wasn't for the yellow haze, not much would indicate this is a wheat beer. Smell is slightly green. Taste is where this beer really lets down.. I was hoping for some complexity, but this beer tastes like Miller Lite that's been strained through cooked broccoli. If there is any "watermelon" flavor, it's purely rind.. blech! Don't know if I expected this to be sweeter or more inventive, but it's none of these things. Shame because with its light body, if it didn't taste so bad it would be an easy session brew.

I can't believe I still have four left.. ugh.

09-25-2010 22:09:48 | More by dino213aa
indesertum

3.03/5  rDev -6.2%

pours tan hay color. head, retention, lacing is ok.

smells really funky. like epoisses or something. metallic. crayons. hint of watermelon

tastes like a wheat beer with watermelon extract or juice. watermelon is a little artificial. not too overpowering, but not very pleasant

mouthfeel is pretty good. great carbonation. finish typical of light wheat beers.

would not buy again. drain pour in the end

11-15-2011 21:42:56 | More by indesertum
json83

3.49/5  rDev +8%

Interesting taste but not enough so to buy again. The smell is about average not very intriguing. The taste is beerish with a nice blend of watermelon fruit lasting in the end - almost like a light beer with a watermelon jolly rancher mixed in. 143 Calories per can with 4.9% ABV.

07-09-2013 23:17:43 | More by json83
Mcculler

3.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Fizzy head over hazy orange body that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Smells of watermelon (both real and artificial), captain crunch with crunch berries, granola, pear, and a little lemony-thyme bitterness.

Nose confirms taste.

Mouthfeels is good, maybe a little heavy for a summer lawnmower beer.

This is so much better than last year's can that I had. The cooked vegetable isn't even a memory. I would like this to have a little more interesting hop profile - just a bit of nobles, maybe. But for what it is I'm very impressed.

07-27-2012 04:36:42 | More by Mcculler
Brewlore

2.17/5  rDev -32.8%

Had this on tap whilst visiting the area.

It looks like a hefeweizen, cloudy golden in color with a frothy white head. Leaves a small lacing though.

The scent surprisingly does not contain a whole lot of watermelon. It's an off putting scent that does not exactly encourage you to drink it. Mostly malty aroma with the very subtle hint of watermelon

Taste wise, wow. Not good at all. I was very much looking to try this and was quite disappointed. It tasted malty and very vegetable in its taste. Rather than tasting the sweet juicy part of the watermelon your subjected to tasting the inner lighter in color near the rind part.

All that being said it felt quite nice on the palate with good levels of carbonation.

Not drinkable at all due to the fact that the it's not a good tasting brew.

08-28-2008 09:25:25 | More by Brewlore
powoo19

1.83/5  rDev -43.3%

-Pours to a light yellow color slightly darker than a lite beer.
-The smell is all watermelon. A hint of wheat or a bready smell but way too much watermelon.
-I am sad to say the taste is bad. Its more than slightly tart with a poor watermelon flavor. Leaves a bad aftertaste.
- Way too light on the carbonation, like a flat lite beer, causing the bitterness to really stand out.
- This beer was one of the firstbeers that I just could not finish. I likened itto drinkingbaby vomit. At no point in life did anyone ata BBQ say, "Hey, I'm eating watermelon, I'm drinking beer, boy would they go good together." Beer and watermelon, two great tastes that DO NOT go great together.

03-28-2010 16:57:03 | More by powoo19
Franch

3.05/5  rDev -5.6%

it was also like a watery pale ale with a hint of sweetness behind it, but the sweetness was watermelon. the carbonation was more under control, but the watermelon was a bit too cloyingly sweet unlike similarly disfavored beers like deschutes twilight ale. it's not as drinkable as similar beers just due to the cloying sweetness.

06-16-2011 04:52:01 | More by Franch
Godot

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

We just had 21st amendment brewery become available here in Georgia; I really liked their IPA and figured I would give this one a try it being summer. Pours a watery yellow with very little yeast though the can was agitated per instructions. White head disappears almost immediately. Smell is rather sour and has hints of not so fresh vegetable matter. Taste is pretty much the same. I hope this is a bad batch because this, to me, is undrinkable.

07-17-2010 20:16:45 | More by Godot
jsled

Vermont

2.83/5  rDev -12.4%

A: slightly hazy light straw. good inch and a half of fine-grained white head, supported by strong carbonation.

S: vegetal. melon. no strong hops. melon coming through a bit stronger.

T: creamy, watery, biscuty wheat with unidentifiable melon notes. the melon does cross over from "watermelon" to "cantalope" a bit; not desireable.

M: fine.

D: medium. The taste and novelty just wear out after a while. Had this been colder, or had I more of a thirst for a light refreshing beverage, it might work. On a hot summer day, maybe; on this cool fall day, not so much.

10-03-2010 19:45:37 | More by jsled
Cyrano41

3.54/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I don't think I would have every decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try.

05-21-2013 15:50:29 | More by Cyrano41
lynx1245

3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks Nick of ThreeWiseMen for letting me try this. I'm pretty much expecting this to be a novelty.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color with a good amount of head and lacing. About what I would expect from a wheat beer.

Smell: It's hard to say if I like the smell or hate it. There's definitely wheat and yeast in there, but after that the smell is just strange. The watermelon smell is not very pleasant. It kind of smells like watermelon that has been sitting in the sun for a few days. But I guess that should be expected - it's fermented watermelon!

Taste: Almost seems like they were trying too hard to make it known that "hey! we put watermelon in our beer!" The watermelon is definitely the dominant taste with wheat making a cameo appearance and everything else is really toned down. That being said, I don't think the taste is horrible. It's just... interesting.

Mouthfeel: Grainy, watery, medium carbonation. I could see how this might be refreshing on a hot day. But it's the middle of winter.

Drinkability: I could see how this would be a good beer to just knock back. Especially in a social situation with people who just like easy to drink beers. It was actually much better than I thought it would be.

12-11-2008 02:42:33 | More by lynx1245
mobyviacheslov

Washington

2.93/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A - I chose to drink this one from the can since that's a large part of their marketing for their beers. However, I haven't seen anything stating whether or not their intent is for you to pour it into a glass or not. The cans state that they keep a beer fresher, and then talks about recycling, etc... I would assume that the intent to to pour into a proper glass, and let the beer warm up to the proper temperature, though this takes much longer with a can coming out of a fridge. So, I said fuck it, and drank it right out of the can.

S - It smelled very fruity/watermellony(its a word), but almost candy like...very bubbalicious watermelon gum. There was also a "skunky" smell coming off of it that reminded me of imported german lagers or "turned" green bottle lagers.

T - I was surprised by the subtlty of the watermelon flavor, and the utter lack of wheat characteristics. This basically tastes like a macro-lager with a subtle watermelon undertone. I will try it again in a glass and warm it up to see if it opens up a bit. All-in-all, its not a bad beer, its simply unremarkable.

D - It was actually very drinkable... if you're looking for an easy drinking, refreshing macro-lager type beer to down 10 or 15 of at a party, but you still want to feel superior to people slamming natty light, this would work well.

Serving type: 12oz Can, no glass, 40 deg

02-21-2010 03:56:48 | More by mobyviacheslov
ghengisflan

4.19/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a perfect summer beer, and I feel that the Beer Advocate rating does not do justice to this sweet wheat. The first sip is a nice wheat beer, and there is a cumulative watermelon that gradually grows in your mouth. I could drink this beer all day sitting outside on a wharf on the beach. Delicious.

06-15-2013 03:57:08 | More by ghengisflan
iheartmyTHO

Georgia

3.73/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Normally, I stay away from fruit flavored beers because they often come across tasting like candy or are just too sweet for my liking. But not with Hell or High Watermelon. You get a hint of the watermelon and it doesn't over power other parts of the beer. It's actually one of my go to beers to bring to summertime BBQ's at the neighborhood pool. It's very refreshing to drink on a hot summer's day.

01-18-2014 19:02:15 | More by iheartmyTHO
harsley

3.9/5  rDev +20.7%

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I recently tried for the first time not knowing what to expect but it was quite well done. Smells of faint wheat and watermelon, and pretty much tastes the same with some malt backbone to round it all out. Nothing it overpowering and it's all very well balanced. For a beer drinker, I liked it and it served it's purpose of quenching my thirst straight from the can on a 90 degree F humid day. Some others that tried it, which I would not call big beer drinkers, actually were hoping for more of the watermelon to shine through. For what they were going for here though I think they did a great job. Very drinkable on a hot day.

08-21-2009 19:35:19 | More by harsley
crashdavisinoh

2.05/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had been wanting to try this for a while...finally did...glad I did...probably won't be having another.

A-Pale yellow...clearer than I would have expected...light head that faded fast

S-Probably the best part of the beer...strong and pleasant smell of watermelon...smells of summer...picked up some wheat as well

T-I wanted to like the taste...but couldn't....watermelon all over the place...slight wheat...SLIGHT....the watermelon was too prevalent and even then...tasted watered down. Not pleasant.

M-medium carbonation

D-As I said above...I am glad I tried it...b/c I had wanted to for a while...I didn't finish the can I had...left about 1/4 in the glass. I generally am a fan of 21st amendment...but this one just didn't work...though I respect the effort in trying to brew a different beer.

04-30-2011 01:10:04 | More by crashdavisinoh
suretolose

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. It is a nice golden hue and slightly cloudy a very nice colored wheat. The head was gone within a minute almost as fast as a MGD.

Aroma is wheat and malt and sour watermelon like the wheat and malt not so much the melon. It reminds me of a jolly rancher.

Found the taste rather bland. The hint of watermelon is not that pleasant.

I found the mouthfeel a little flat could use more carbonation.

Kind of an average beer.

07-29-2011 00:15:31 | More by suretolose
CavePainter

3.95/5  rDev +22.3%

I gave this one the ultimate test - in was chilling in the fridge while I was cutting my lawn on a humid 88 degree day. Did I mention that I have an old cast iron reel mower?

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange. Quickly fading creamy white head.

S: Sweetness in the nose. Clean.

T: A creamy sweetness upfront with just a kiss of watermelon. The watermelon is spot on - you will expect to be spitting out seeds. A bit of tartness at the end.

M: Creamy in and crisp at the end.

d: Like bitting in to a real watermellon. If it is a hot-ass day, you are going to be all over this beer. The flavor is subtle and not overwhelming, you can have a few of these without the sweetness turning your stomach like some fruit concoctions will.

The wheat base really lends itself well to the watermelon taste.

If you like fruit beer or American wheat beers, you should give this one a go.

07-18-2009 23:13:25 | More by CavePainter
OrangeAmps

2.42/5  rDev -25.1%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me.

05-05-2011 04:15:35 | More by OrangeAmps
Bang34

4.08/5  rDev +26.3%

A friend of mine made me try this before a Giants game and I really didn't expect to like it. I am not a fan of fruit beers having to deal with Pyramid's apricot ale when the ladies brought the beer. But I have to say that this was very good.

It poured a nice golden color with a bit of a head and a watermellon wedge on the rim of the glass.

It really didn't taste fruity at all, nice and crisp with hints of citrus like all good wheat beers should be and with just a hint of watermellon in the finish.

overall I have to say that the best thing about this beer is how refreshing it was. It was almost like drinking lemonade. Now whenever I head out to Pac Bell to catch the Giants I make sure to stop by the ammendment for a brew. It is a great way to start an evening of baseball.

02-03-2004 06:05:31 | More by Bang34
sdsurfer217

1.83/5  rDev -43.3%

A: Unfiltered, golden yellow color. Absolutely no head. Looks like a ton of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: A little bit of soft sour citrus notes, with a touch of watermelon rind. Fresh baked bread aroma also.

T: Tastes kind of like I just bit into the rind of the watermelon. I don’t taste much actual watermelon juice. Its both bitter and sweet, but not in a good way. Finishes pretty clean, and doesn’t leave much flavor to linger.

M: Pretty light/thin feeling beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Not a very good beer. It’s a weird flavor that I didn’t expect and really doesn’t deliver the promised watermelon taste. I find it extremely strange that this beer is one of the best sellers at Winking Lizard. I won’t be buying this beer and will stick to other offerings from 21st Amendment.

07-09-2011 16:22:54 | More by sdsurfer217
Tobe

2.73/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with no head.

The aroma is very weak, the wheat comes through but you only catch a faint note of watermelon. After some time the watermelon emerges to be more identifiable. The taste is light and crisp, at which time the watermelon is the star player. Toward the end of drinking the wheat can comes through. Not much of a mouthfeel but really tasty for the summer days. Watermelon is present but not overpowering. It adds to the crispness, offering a little bite.

Recommendable for the summer months.

07-23-2012 21:47:52 | More by Tobe
torchednoodle

2.25/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can.

Ultimately, somewhat depressing. I had one of these last weekend and knew I didn't like it then, but decided to hold off until I had a second one at a later date. Does not smell particularly appetizing.

While there are certainly some mild watermelon notes in there that become even more prominent in aftertaste, there's also a not-entirely-horrible-but-not-altogether-pleasant-either mild tartness and tang and wheaty goodness, and some hint of cucumber. Starts to taste better once it's been out of the fridge a few minutes, but the smell still kills it a bit.

Ultimately when I think about it, I've never had a watermelon wheat before, but this is is probably _exactly what a watermelon wheat beer should taste like_. But when there's so many other outstanding beers out there, this is really a novelty.

It's gonna be tough to polish off the other 4 cans left in my fridge.

08-31-2008 19:44:49 | More by torchednoodle