Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 688 | Hads: 2,486
3.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a fairly clear yellow. Little over a one finger pure white head. Head dissipates in a couple minutes and left a thin ring. Left an ok amount of lacing down the glass, nothing special.

Smells very watermelony, can't get much of anything else, maybe a bit of wheat. Not off putting, it actually makes me want to see what the beer is all about.

Tastes of some subtle watermelon, the flavor of which is nicely balanced by the wheat in this ale. Nice flavor, very clean finish.

Feels nicely carbonated at first, but doesnt finish with as much as it starts. Fairly light bodied.

I could drink a million of these. Nice flavor, but quite light bodied

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Canned on 3/26/12.

Appearance: Hazy yellow color with a small fizzy head that receded quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Wheat backbone, citrus, and not much else.

Taste: Distinct watermelon up front. Kind of a generic "light" beer taste otherwise.

Mouthfeel: Light body, lots of carbonation, and crisp.

Overall: Not for everyone, but it is as advertised. If the watermelon flavor appeals to you, it might be worth having a can on a hot day.

3.73/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't think I would have ever decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try.

3.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can refrigerator cold into a generic chalice.

A - Vigorous pour produces a nice 2 fingers of head, quickly recedes to a ring, and after a while recedes to nothing. The beer itself is a nice hazy light gold color. Looks good at first, although the lack of retention is a definite downer.

S - Not much here. Smells like a wheat beer, with a nebulous fruit odor. Of course the label tells me it's watermelon, but as watermelon doesn't have much of a smell, that doesn't add much. Not all that pleasant of an aroma, to be honest.

T - The label doesn't lie, this has a ton of watermelon flavor, although it detracts from the wheat beer experience. The beer gets points for having a ton of fruit flavor while not overwhelming with cloying sweetness, or even being sweeter than a typical wheat beer. It loses points because the watermelon overwhelms the wheat, and instead of accentuating the beer, takes it over. Nevertheless, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, since this was likely intentional. Not bad.

M - Light, probably because of whatever process infuses it with watermelon flavor. Not as much body as I'd like to see in a wheat beer, nor is there as much carbonation. Falls short on the feel.

O - Since I think they are trying to replicate the experience of biting into a piece of watermelon, as that's exactly what this tastes like, it's not bad. But as an actual wheat beer, it's not very good. I don't mind fruit in beer, but this is more beer trying to taste like fruit, than it is fruit trying to accentuate the flavors of a beer. I'll give it points for being refreshing, and having a rather nice watermelon flavor, but it's not something I would reach for if I wanted a beer.

4.31/5  rDev +31.4%

Really refreshing beer. I can sit back and throw down multiples of these on a nice summer day. There is a hint of watermelon on the nose. The finish is where the watermelon really shows up. It's not forward or subtle but you get the watermelon. Tasty stuff.

4.04/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Normally, I stay away from fruit flavored beers because they often come across tasting like candy or are just too sweet for my liking. But not with Hell or High Watermelon. You get a hint of the watermelon and it doesn't over power other parts of the beer. It's actually one of my go to beers to bring to summertime BBQ's at the neighborhood pool. It's very refreshing to drink on a hot summer's day.

1.85/5  rDev -43.6%

Can, shaken as instructed into a pilsner glass

Cloudy pale yellow hue, like a bud light batch gone wrong. At least it has a moderately attractive 2 finger crisp white head.

Smell really needs improvement, I've had thomas hooker's watermelon whatever and it had much more watermelon character in the nose and the taste. This has some light watermelon smells very similar to sniffing the white part of the rind. There are also some sweet corn and circus peanut notes in here as well.

Taste is pretty bland, it has some watermelon character in there at certain points throughout the progression but nothing too great

Mouthfeel is pretty lively with carbonation but super light and watery.

Overall I'm unimpressed and Thomas Hooker's would definitey be my choice given the option.

4.22/5  rDev +28.7%

In order to get the full flavor, you want to serve this slightly warmer than you would usually serve a wheat beer. It's pretty bland if too cold, but delicious at around 50 degrees.

A- Pours a slightly hazy yellow-straw color

S- Clean, bready wheat flavor with two distinct watermelon notes. There's the aroma of fresh watermelon flesh and the slightly tart aroma of "watermelon flavored" candies. Really interesting...

T- Sweet, bready flavor with a very apparent flavor of fresh watermelon. Not much else, but it's nice and simple.

M- Juicy and refreshing with a lingering flavor.

D- Really easy to drink. Light and refreshing with a really nice flavor.

4.3/5  rDev +31.1%

This beer pours a hazy golden straw color with a thick white head.

Some wheat twange, citrus, bready yeast, and almost jolly rancher like watermelon.

I nice smooth wheat flavor. Light refreshing a little twange and the watermelon is just barely there, I would almost mistake it for a cucumber flavor if I didn't know it was watermelon.

The mouthfeel is for lack of a better word perfect. If feels like silk in your mouth.

I don't think a beer gets more drinkable than this. A smooth refeshing wheat beer with a nice light fruit flavor just under the surface.

2.68/5  rDev -18.3%

12 ounce can purchased at Brews Bros in Mt Lebanon, PA.

Smell: Maybe a tine of watermelon. Some lemon

Taste: Fake watermelon. No doubt. Definitely not real watermelon. Not sure if there is any other flavors in there. Maybe this is Miller Lite with some fake watermelon flavoring?

Mouthfeel: Nice body, goes down smooth. Could drink these on a hot summer day if there was nothing else around.

Overall: I'm still searching for a quality fruit beer. Not sure if I'll ever find a real good one. But for some reason, I keep trying. Somebody please stop me.

3.7/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a DFH Snifter.

A--Pours a light golden yellow with a small white head that didn't last long. Not much retention throughout the beer

S--First thing I get is the watermelon concentrate. It's a sickly sweet taste. From there I get a bit of wheat and some yeast. Light smelling, but it has a prominence to it.

T--The watermelon is nice. Then comes a wheat aftertaste. Finishes with a bit of a yeast bill on the palate.

M--Very light bodied. Tiny bit of carbonation. Water feel as well.

O--This is the perfect beer and my go-to for a brew to take with me to South Beach on the weekends. Overall, though, there are better wheat beers out there. I would recommend it for what it is. Something I will pick up again.

2.46/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The appearance isn't bad - pale cloudy straw color, 2 fingers of lacing which dies pretty quickly; But I am getting about as much taste as a Miller Lite, maybe with a slight watermelon fruit essence and slight melon odor. Highly carbonated. Was worth one try to satisfy my curiosity, but will never get again.

3.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to sirpyscho for this as an extra in a recent trade.
Poured a cloudy golden color with a small head that faded fairly quickly. Leaving no lacing.
Not getting much on the nose. Just a touch of some wheat maltiness and a light touch of fruity sweetness. Can't really detect any watermelon on the nose at all.
Taste almost like a watermelon jolly rancher. Almost like a wheatbeer winecooler. Not normally what I would drink.
Very carbonated and very refreshing. I may drink a couple of these on a hot july day. Try it if you get a chance but I wouldn't go out of my way to get some.

3.92/5  rDev +19.5%

OK I'm pretty impressed with this. I really wanted to try it for the gimmick of a watermelon beer but I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing beer with alot of flavor. The appearance isn't anything to brag about and the aroma was a little like a capri-sun but the flavor was everything I thought it wouldn't be. Thankfully this is not a sweet beer. If it had been I think it would have ruined the beer by fullfilling my expectation of a watermelon extract/candy alcoholic schnaaps-like drink. Instead the fruit presence is definitely melon but was more cantaloupe than sugary. Highly drinkable... go get some!

4.1/5  rDev +25%

Pours out of than can cloudy with a rocky white head. some cloves, spice, and watermelon rind? No hop bitterness, of course, but there is that watermelon rind again. Slightly tangy finish. Can't say I get any watermelon sweetness-but there is a citrus flavor. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Could drink this all day.

2.94/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The waitress told it was highly recommended.
Strange color, smell wasn't bad, feel was all wrong. Most importantly taste, not bad but only appeals to a limited crowd.

4.44/5  rDev +35.4%

I was pleased to find that this beer does indeed taste like watermelon, and not something with artificial "watermelon flavor" added for the sake of making it sweeter and more appealing, as happens with candy since watermelon itself is so boring. It's light in body and in color, and it's easy to drink. I'd recommend it to anyone who asked about it.

2.78/5  rDev -15.2%

From the can into a standard Sea Dog pint glass

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with a bit of sediment. Very small white head that goes away fairly quickly. What you would expect from a wheat beer.

S - Trying to pull out some watermelon smell but not getting it. Almost a odd vegetable aroma as well. The nose just really isn't doing it for me.

T - Artificial watermelon flavor at first followed by some wheat. Not a whole bunch going on here, expected more for sure.

M - The body is definitely on the lighter side with a small amount of carbonation. I think it needs to be upped a bit to help out the brew.

D - If this is your thing then pretty high. It's light enough in body and abv to drink a few. Probably a good lawnmower beer. Not really my thing but I might just chalk it up to being out of season as well as a slightly dated can.

pours a slightly hazy yellow color with good white fluffy head, good lacing, and average carbonation. i don't want to bash beer, but.... this beer was absolutley disgusting. i don't see how anyone could drink this. now, i'm hoping that maybe i just got some from a bad batch or something. it was brand new in my local bottle shop so i know it wasn't old. it had a nasty fish like smell and taste. so much so me and two other BA's couldn't make it past a few sips. all three beers got poured out. just to make sure i popped the rest of the sixer and it was the same in them all. avoid this shit at all cost!

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Got as an extra in a trade with brewer b ( great guy trade with him)
poured into a weizen glass, cloudy amber, thick white head, some lacing, head lasts for days it seems.
smells like a wheat beer with watermelon jollyrancher in it.
taste's similar to the smell, but less watermelon. still a lot though.
mouthfeel i fairly carbonated, very refreshing.
as a rule i don't like wheat beers and i hate fruit beers, yet i like this beer. its tasty as hell. i can't explain it, but i like it. when i move to california i plan to keep a 12 pack or so of this around for hot summer days.

4.06/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Just a really refreshing canned beer. Perfect for a hot day if you want something on the sweeter end. Not normally one for fruit beers, or wheat beers for that matter, but this remains an exception.

2.84/5  rDev -13.4%

Kind of a let down. Picked up a six pack of this for a really hot day in hopes of sipping at a refreshing summer beer. The watermelon flavor doesn’t really mesh with the beer well. It tastes really artificial like watermelon candy. If you want a watermelon beer I would recommend Thomas Hooker if possible.

2.78/5  rDev -15.2%

I give them cedit with coming up with a unique, off-beat flavor combination. That doesn't mean I found it to be a particularly tasty or refreshing combination. Pours a bit of a hazy yellow, with maybe an inch of foam. Slight watermelon aroma. The flavor is tart watermelon grafted onto an ordinary tasting wheat beer. It comes across as just odd. Can't see it really pairing with food very well, and not really refreshing. Sort of interesting to taste once but not something I plan to have more of.

2.65/5  rDev -19.2%

Now I've been wanting to try me so 21st amendment for a quick minute now, and was pumped when I came across it at Julio's.

Appearance was was a slightly hazy pale yellow. Yellow and fizzy, so far no good.

Smell was very bland. not much there. fruity and crisp hops.

Taste had very little watermallon. I was expecting more melon for sure. Pale malts, and mild hops.

crisp light mouthfeel

3.62/5  rDev +10.4%

Something also on trade...this one a fruit, which I normally don't get a chance to try much. Pours a cloudy pilsey yellow with almost no head, and little lacing. Smells sweet, and green, and floral. Taste is interesting, different from many other fruit beers, surely some watermelon, but only hints. An interesting approach to a fruit beer and one that I was happy to try. Easy drinking, and not bitter and light. Carbonation is only low-moderate. Fun to try!

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery