2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,478 | Reviews: 584 | Show All Ratings:
torchednoodle

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can.

Ultimately, somewhat depressing. I had one of these last weekend and knew I didn't like it then, but decided to hold off until I had a second one at a later date. Does not smell particularly appetizing.

While there are certainly some mild watermelon notes in there that become even more prominent in aftertaste, there's also a not-entirely-horrible-but-not-altogether-pleasant-either mild tartness and tang and wheaty goodness, and some hint of cucumber. Starts to taste better once it's been out of the fridge a few minutes, but the smell still kills it a bit.

Ultimately when I think about it, I've never had a watermelon wheat before, but this is is probably _exactly what a watermelon wheat beer should taste like_. But when there's so many other outstanding beers out there, this is really a novelty.

It's gonna be tough to polish off the other 4 cans left in my fridge.

08-31-2008 19:44:49 | More by torchednoodle
glamphetamine

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

A very unique and refreshing brew. You can smell the watermelon right up front, but it doesn't completely shadow the wheat.

The first thing you taste with this one is the watermelon. The finish is a smooth combination of watermelon and wheat. Mild carbonation, a great aftertaste and very drinkable. The watermelon flavor definitely isn't as overpowering or gross as some people have said, or at least it hasn't been in my experience.

This would definitely make a great summer beer, and my lady friends seem to enjoy it. If you know someone who prefers malt beverages or wine coolers, Hell or High Watermelon might be a good way to get them interested in beers. Or, at the least, it'll get them interested in fruit beers.

12-11-2009 03:47:42 | More by glamphetamine
JaredKent

Rhode Island

4.48/5  rDev +38.3%

Appearance: Golden with a light amber/orange color to it. About a 10 SRM. The beer pours nice and strong giving a full inch of head. It lingers for the first few sips but after swirling it has faded away.

Scent: Light aroma, mild tartness coming from the wheat. Slight biscuity notes up front. Underneath the grain is a very mild watermelon smell. Very reminiscent of watermelon candy or watermelon italian ice. Not overpowering in the slightest.

Taste: Right up front you get a bit more of that watermelon flavor, which comes on a little bit stronger than the aroma, but still very mild. It lasts for a few seconds, mingling with the wheat’s tartness before dissipating. As soon as the watermelon fades in comes the biscuit again as the closer to finish it all out.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied. The carbonation isn’t over the top. Short on the tongue.

Overall: Between this and Abita’s Strawberry Harvest, I’m finding more fruit beers that I like. These are not pumped with artificial flavors that overpower the beer. The watermelon in this beer is so subtle that it could easily be overlooked if your not thinking about the flavors. Once you start to really dig into the beer the watermelon comes out of hiding and compliments the wheat very nicely.

06-06-2012 19:25:16 | More by JaredKent
rossthefireman

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Light pale wheat beer look, typical for the style

S- Smell of watermelon, hops, slight sour malt

t= Wheat beer with decent carbonation, very slight hops with flavors of watermelon rind

M- Mouthfeel was good, good carbonation

D- Ehh, its 'drinkable' if you like it.

This beer is just not my thing. I waited to review until after I drank all six beers over the last week. Just didnt like it. The watermelon turned me off. I think with out the melon it would probably be a great sessionable wheat beer. It was just to weird for me, but I can see how other people might like this. However it wont discourage me from trying their other styles.

07-07-2009 03:07:07 | More by rossthefireman
danronian

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a deep yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is light and somewhat sweet, little else can be noted.

Taste is sweet, somewhat fruit-like but difficult to taste anything watermelon-like.

Mouthfeel is sweet and quick to go down.

Overall it's a beer that's not noteworthy other than the cool can.

06-09-2011 20:15:03 | More by danronian
kdb150

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can refrigerator cold into a generic chalice.

A - Vigorous pour produces a nice 2 fingers of head, quickly recedes to a ring, and after a while recedes to nothing. The beer itself is a nice hazy light gold color. Looks good at first, although the lack of retention is a definite downer.

S - Not much here. Smells like a wheat beer, with a nebulous fruit odor. Of course the label tells me it's watermelon, but as watermelon doesn't have much of a smell, that doesn't add much. Not all that pleasant of an aroma, to be honest.

T - The label doesn't lie, this has a ton of watermelon flavor, although it detracts from the wheat beer experience. The beer gets points for having a ton of fruit flavor while not overwhelming with cloying sweetness, or even being sweeter than a typical wheat beer. It loses points because the watermelon overwhelms the wheat, and instead of accentuating the beer, takes it over. Nevertheless, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, since this was likely intentional. Not bad.

M - Light, probably because of whatever process infuses it with watermelon flavor. Not as much body as I'd like to see in a wheat beer, nor is there as much carbonation. Falls short on the feel.

O - Since I think they are trying to replicate the experience of biting into a piece of watermelon, as that's exactly what this tastes like, it's not bad. But as an actual wheat beer, it's not very good. I don't mind fruit in beer, but this is more beer trying to taste like fruit, than it is fruit trying to accentuate the flavors of a beer. I'll give it points for being refreshing, and having a rather nice watermelon flavor, but it's not something I would reach for if I wanted a beer.

08-10-2012 01:27:43 | More by kdb150
Perrumpo

4.15/5  rDev +28.1%

Can't miss the watermelon in this beer. Drank it with a chunk of watermelon in it, too. Very drinkable, light, tasty watermelon, but it's hardly a beer, really. Good for hot sweaty summer days, but I prefer some more body. Nonetheless, it tastes great, just very light.

11-09-2010 00:15:02 | More by Perrumpo
JKuras

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance: Yellow-orange in color, creamy and hazy. About an inch of fluffy head forms at the top but quickly dies down to nearly nothing. Doesn’t look overly carbonated. Looks like a typical hef.

Smell: Very sweet and floral, I’m thinking honeysuckle, with some malty grains backing it up.

Taste: More of that floral sweet honeysuckle at first, then comes the watermelon and citrus notes, and finally the malts and bitter hops finish. The watermelon tastes a little artificial and overall the brew is more sour and acidic than I was expecting. I’m not getting much of the cloves/banana etc that I expect from wheat beers, but there is some banana there.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, refreshing going down and easy on the finish. A little bit syrupy consistency.

Overall: Had one of these leftover from summer, and it’s a nice hot day today so figured I’d kill the six-pack. This is probably the only one I poured into a glass to review properly, the rest I drank straight from the can. And I think that’s how these should be enjoyed -- floating down a river or by the beach in a tube with just the can. It’s not a bad summer brew but I think the artificial flavor would turn some people off. My woman didn’t like it and she’s a fan of fruit beers. One of these is great, after two or three I’d probably get tired of the sweet and sourness.

10-06-2012 18:56:35 | More by JKuras
sirdillon

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a can into my hefeweizen glass. poured a standard cloudy orange/yellow color. can dictates that there is yeast in the can, and i should "agitate" it before pouring. i poured two thirds and felt very weird swirling the rest in a can. whatevs. two finger white head, essentially no head retention, no lacing.

not getting watermelon in the smell, maybe a wheat cereal type smell, maybe a bit of citrus. not much else. tastes akin to a watery wheat beer with the tasteless white part of the watermelon mixed in. there is a slight bit of acidity to be found, but not enough to make things interesting. fairly light bodied for a wheat beer. not my favorite, i'm glad i only bought a single can.

07-13-2010 21:06:23 | More by sirdillon
klshanks

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a 16 oz. pint glass.

Appearance is a hazy yellowish color. White head that fades quickly.

Aroma- similar to most American wheat beers theres a wheat aroma with a bit of yeasty smell, and a slight undertone of sweetness.

Taste- Pretty similar to what would be expected from the offering. A wheat beer with some watermelon flavor to it. I'm not blown away by the watermelon though, it almost tastes unripe. Not bad, but I had high hopes for this and it was a bit of a let down.

Mouthfeel- Again, good, not great. Not too thick and not too thin. I would like a bit more carbonation.

Drinkability- I could definitely drink a couple of these. I can see the flavor growing on me more after my second or third can.

Overall definitely worth trying. There are far worse fruit wheat beers out there.

09-25-2010 04:55:27 | More by klshanks
BeerManDanNYC

1.45/5  rDev -55.2%

Not only is this a terrible wheat beer, it is a bad beer with artificial tasting watermelon flavor in it. I never pour out a beer if I can choke it down. This one got dumped after one painful gulp! Usually I can find something positive in most beers but I am drawing a blank with this one.

09-28-2011 18:47:02 | More by BeerManDanNYC
davednyc

4.18/5  rDev +29%

A - Pours a clouded golden-yellow, nice effervescence, and a slight head that disappears right away.

S - A gentle, slight aroma. Nothing particular of note.

T - The watermelon does come through. Somebody had mentioned that they thought they could discern watermelon rind, rather than the actual fruit. Interesting, and I could definitely see where they were coming from. Oddly, rind or not, it definitely works nicely.

M - Nice effervescence. Light on the palate.

O - Definitely a nice summer brew. Refreshing, and relatively low on the ABV, allows one to kick a few of back beneath the sun.

05-19-2012 22:26:54 | More by davednyc
OrangeCharlie

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

I like a good fruit beer when it's done well. And this one is OK. Nothing earth-shattering, but good. And at the very least, something different and fun to have on a hot summer day.

A: Poured a dark golden, almost amber color. Typical hefeweizen hue. Head retention and lacing were lacking, though it could have been the glassware.

S: Clovey/smokey weizen yeast character and notes of fresh watermelon.

T: Light and good hefeweizen flavor, erring on the phenolic end. No banana. The watermelon isn't overpowering, but it is very forward. I can tell by the taste that the watermelon flavor isn't coming artificially or from extract. Reading the can further my suspicion is confrimed. Considering no extract was used, I was impressed with the amount of watermelon flavor that was actually able to be incorporated into the beer. The hefeweizen character and watermelon flavor, while they do pair nicely, don't really come together to create a complex beer. The fruit and yeast flavors remain separated on the palate.

M: An adequate amount of body for a wheat beer. Makes me think the head retention issue is not the fault of the beer but my glass.

D: Very light and quaffable. I could definitely sit out in the sun and enjoy it.

07-02-2010 15:38:31 | More by OrangeCharlie
Nature777

4.47/5  rDev +38%

Very easy to drink! This is by far my favorite summer beer! It has the feel of any other wheat beer, but the watermelon taste is so unique that it simply floored me.

The beer is slightly pink with a white head. The color of this beer really stood out to me. Initially, I thought the color seemed very artificial which made me expect an artificial flavor. But, I was wrong. There is little up front beyond a generic wheat beer, but in the aftertaste lies a brilliant watermelon flavor!

It is easy to drink and not very filling. It is slightly more alcoholic than your run of the mill macrobrews making it possible to drink a great many of these at any given time. It's a good beer to give to new beer drinkers. It's an excellent example of how diverse craft beers can be!

08-05-2010 09:00:31 | More by Nature777
xpoweruser

1.53/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Golden straw color. Very cloudy with sediment. White foamy head that does not stick around.

Aroma: Light banana and clove, yeasty. Slight watermelon aroma.

Taste: Watery banana, clove and yeast flavor. Some tart and watermelon notes, but overall this is a very bland and watery brew.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery. Very light bodied. Somewhat offensive, does not go down smooth at all.

Drinkability: A sad attempt at a wheat beer. A poorly brewed wheat beer with some watermelon juice added is not a good mix.

12-31-2010 04:59:21 | More by xpoweruser
wkcyr4

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Received in a package from Floydster. Thanks for the opportunity to try this one,Kyle.

Poured from the can into a Goose Island tasting glass, split with my wife.
Gave the can a few gentle swirls to agitate per instructions on the can.
Poured a cloudy, straw color with a nice one finger white head.
Crisp, clean almost dry scent, no real hint of watermelon or any fruit for that matter.
The first sip reveals the sweet taste of the watermelon.
Somewhat fruity in the middle with a light airyness to it, interesting.
Had a dry, almost champagne like finish to it.
I'm pretty sure my wife liked this beer more than I did but it has teased me enough to give it another try if given the chance.

Recommended on the novelty of a watermelon beer alone.

02-11-2009 02:01:04 | More by wkcyr4
Hesperus

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Somewhat cloudy, muted gold. Large, actively-foamy head that dissipates very quickly. No lacing or residual foam.

Smell: Sweet watermelon, wheat, biscuity malt.

Taste: Simple in flavor with sweet, fresh watermelon taking center stage with standard wheat flavors. The watermelon is not cloyingly sweet or overpowering, it's actually worked into the beer in a very pleasing way. Somewhat watered down, though.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation, very drinkable.

Overall: Exactly what you would expect a watermelon-wheat beer to be. Though I enjoy how the watermelon is integrated into the beer, I wish it was more flavorful. This does make a very good summertime session beer, as it is very refreshing and drinkable.

08-08-2013 22:38:41 | More by Hesperus
oldcrustacean

Connecticut

My favorite beer from my time spent in San Francisco.

I would ride to the brewery at lunch to enjoy a few -- always served with a slice of watermelon. Can't say I got much done those days.

Other times I'd pick up a growler to share with friends. Ten extra pounds of awkward weight on my bicycle, climbing steep San Francisco streets, meant that I had to earn this brew. Ever climb an 18% grade hill with 2 growlers on your back? I assure you it makes the beer taste that much better.

This is the best watermelon ale out there -- the flavor doesn't taste contrived. Hooker and Opa's watermelon ales taste a bit too artificial for my liking; a little too heavy on the extract. 21A gets it right.

Prost.

10-06-2009 18:34:10 | More by oldcrustacean
MeadGuyfromMD

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Poured brilliant yellow and fairly clear. The head was about 1/2" thick and off white. As it settled it became slightly cloudy and the head dissipated quickly, down to a thin coating.

S - It smells sweet, fruity, barley any hops are in there. It's almost cloyingly sweet.

T - The taste of melon is up front, followed by the grain and hint of hop in the finish. Then the watermelon comes back. It's not as sweet as it smells. There is an oddly sweet aftertaste.

M - A bit thinner that I expected, but pretty close for the style. The sweet meloniness sticks to the tongue.

D - This one is not exactly in my wheel house, but those that like sweet wheat's, this may be OK. I think I will only have one. Certainly not my favorite offering from 21A

04-30-2010 02:26:21 | More by MeadGuyfromMD
ardeano

4.88/5  rDev +50.6%

I always look forward to the summer and this beer.

I drank this straight from the can while peddling the CyclePub to a brewery - after work...

First, this is a perfect combination of a fruit and beer - the soft watermelon hints pair perfectly with the wheat style. It is amazingly refreshing during a hot day (or while peddling to a brewery). Great level of carbonation too! I would highly recommend this beer to any one...

06-24-2011 15:45:08 | More by ardeano
tencents

1.6/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Very unappealing partially cloudy gray gold. Went immediately flat.
S - Hint of the watermelon, otherwise not a whole lot.
T - Watermelon prevalent at finish, but tastes artificial. As the beer aired and warmed the taste really turned south.
M - Thin, very watery, almost no body.
O - Worst beer I've had in a while. I'd like to say its the watermelon but honestly feel it is just a poor quality beer.

05-05-2012 13:03:24 | More by tencents
DWolf

1.43/5  rDev -55.9%

Ah, with Memorial Day passing, we can officially say summer is here. And, nothing makes a warm summer day more pleasant than relaxing with a cold beer. And, few beers are more refreshing in that moment than a good wheat beer. Not too heavy - not too light ... maybe with a touch of spice, grass, or lemon or other fruit. So, why not watermelon? What is a more quintessential fruit of summer than watermelon? Which brings me to Hell or High Watermelon Wheat beer from 21st Amendment.

You know when you are done eating a piece of watermelon, and all the juicy flesh is gone, and you get down to that white part near the rind? Yet, you keep taking a bite or two more. And, you get this sour bitterness that tastes pretty much like nothing except sour bitter water with a hint of watermelon?

Yeah, that's what this beer tastes like.

I drank two cans from the 6-pack I bought from the cooler. Both the same. The next four likely will go down the drain.

Don't know if this was a bad batch or what. But, given some other reviews, maybe not.

Normally, I like most beers from 21st Amendment. But, this one was a disappointment.

06-01-2012 13:13:09 | More by DWolf
ColSanders123

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev +9%

First wanted to say that the photo on BA is old. The new can design is much cooler in my opinion.

A- Poured an orange/ amber color with a white head that dissipated quickly.

S- Smells like what an average wheat beer should smell like with a hint of watermelon in it. The watermelon smell, smells like the rind of a melon. It is definitively watermelon but is more like a melon before it ripens.

T- Mild sweetness of wheat initially, then that not quite ripe watermelon taste. Again taste just like it smells. More of the rind taste that a normal melon. I really liked it though.

M- Overall the feel is rather thin but was an easy drinker that felt refreshing in the mouth and smooth on the way down.

O- Nice an crisp beer that is perfect for the summer time and this terrible heat wave we are in. Easily could enjoy one of these after cutting the grass or while cooking out or any other summertime activities.

07-25-2011 00:56:59 | More by ColSanders123
muqingjing

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Poured a clear yellow; not exactly what I expected from a wheat beer. Pretty sizable white head.

S: It has a faint hint of watermelon in the smell (not real watermelon, but something like a watermelon flavored jolly rancher). Smells clean and refreshing, though.

T: Somewhat yeasty, with a slight watermelon (once again, Jolly Rancher) flavor. It's not overbearing, but it's definitely there. However, the beer itself tastes a bit watery.

M: Fairly watery, pretty thin, and low on carbonation. Nothing too special.

D: Very very very easy to drink. It's thin, it's kind of watery, it's tastes decent. The novelty of the watermelon might wear off after just one can, but it's just super easy to drink a lot of this stuff.

Overall: It's definitely worth trying (at least for novelty sake). It's not a bad beer, but if you take out the watermelon aspect, this is just your run of the mill American wheat beer.

11-05-2009 09:04:51 | More by muqingjing
gator0877

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

A. This poured pale yellow into the glass with about an 1 1/2 inch head that quickly dissapeared. Very light carbonation.

S. I was hit with the smell of watermelon immediatly but not in a good way. It almost smelled like a rotten watermelon, gross.

T. The taste does suprise me though. It is not overly sweet. It actually tastes like watermelon and just watermelon. It was as if I was eating a slice but was getting close to the rind of the fruit, so it is not gonna taste like a jolly rancher or italian ice.

M. Thin but not bad for a wheat beer.

D. I could pound a few of these on a hot day. Not too high in ABV so I could handle this. This is strictly a summer beer though.

08-15-2010 20:28:06 | More by gator0877