Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,332 | Reviews: 734
3.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a DFH Snifter.

A--Pours a light golden yellow with a small white head that didn't last long. Not much retention throughout the beer

S--First thing I get is the watermelon concentrate. It's a sickly sweet taste. From there I get a bit of wheat and some yeast. Light smelling, but it has a prominence to it.

T--The watermelon is nice. Then comes a wheat aftertaste. Finishes with a bit of a yeast bill on the palate.

M--Very light bodied. Tiny bit of carbonation. Water feel as well.

O--This is the perfect beer and my go-to for a brew to take with me to South Beach on the weekends. Overall, though, there are better wheat beers out there. I would recommend it for what it is. Something I will pick up again.

2.46/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The appearance isn't bad - pale cloudy straw color, 2 fingers of lacing which dies pretty quickly; But I am getting about as much taste as a Miller Lite, maybe with a slight watermelon fruit essence and slight melon odor. Highly carbonated. Was worth one try to satisfy my curiosity, but will never get again.

3.21/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can refrigerator cold into a generic chalice.

A - Vigorous pour produces a nice 2 fingers of head, quickly recedes to a ring, and after a while recedes to nothing. The beer itself is a nice hazy light gold color. Looks good at first, although the lack of retention is a definite downer.

S - Not much here. Smells like a wheat beer, with a nebulous fruit odor. Of course the label tells me it's watermelon, but as watermelon doesn't have much of a smell, that doesn't add much. Not all that pleasant of an aroma, to be honest.

T - The label doesn't lie, this has a ton of watermelon flavor, although it detracts from the wheat beer experience. The beer gets points for having a ton of fruit flavor while not overwhelming with cloying sweetness, or even being sweeter than a typical wheat beer. It loses points because the watermelon overwhelms the wheat, and instead of accentuating the beer, takes it over. Nevertheless, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, since this was likely intentional. Not bad.

M - Light, probably because of whatever process infuses it with watermelon flavor. Not as much body as I'd like to see in a wheat beer, nor is there as much carbonation. Falls short on the feel.

O - Since I think they are trying to replicate the experience of biting into a piece of watermelon, as that's exactly what this tastes like, it's not bad. But as an actual wheat beer, it's not very good. I don't mind fruit in beer, but this is more beer trying to taste like fruit, than it is fruit trying to accentuate the flavors of a beer. I'll give it points for being refreshing, and having a rather nice watermelon flavor, but it's not something I would reach for if I wanted a beer.

2.68/5  rDev -19.3%

12 ounce can purchased at Brews Bros in Mt Lebanon, PA.

Smell: Maybe a tine of watermelon. Some lemon

Taste: Fake watermelon. No doubt. Definitely not real watermelon. Not sure if there is any other flavors in there. Maybe this is Miller Lite with some fake watermelon flavoring?

Mouthfeel: Nice body, goes down smooth. Could drink these on a hot summer day if there was nothing else around.

Overall: I'm still searching for a quality fruit beer. Not sure if I'll ever find a real good one. But for some reason, I keep trying. Somebody please stop me.

3.65/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice watermelon flavor but not too sweet. Nice summer brew.

4.78/5  rDev +44%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Has a great watermelon flavor

3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

Thanks to sirpyscho for this as an extra in a recent trade.
Poured a cloudy golden color with a small head that faded fairly quickly. Leaving no lacing.
Not getting much on the nose. Just a touch of some wheat maltiness and a light touch of fruity sweetness. Can't really detect any watermelon on the nose at all.
Taste almost like a watermelon jolly rancher. Almost like a wheatbeer winecooler. Not normally what I would drink.
Very carbonated and very refreshing. I may drink a couple of these on a hot july day. Try it if you get a chance but I wouldn't go out of my way to get some.

3.92/5  rDev +18.1%

OK I'm pretty impressed with this. I really wanted to try it for the gimmick of a watermelon beer but I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing beer with alot of flavor. The appearance isn't anything to brag about and the aroma was a little like a capri-sun but the flavor was everything I thought it wouldn't be. Thankfully this is not a sweet beer. If it had been I think it would have ruined the beer by fullfilling my expectation of a watermelon extract/candy alcoholic schnaaps-like drink. Instead the fruit presence is definitely melon but was more cantaloupe than sugary. Highly drinkable... go get some!

4.1/5  rDev +23.5%

Pours out of than can cloudy with a rocky white head. some cloves, spice, and watermelon rind? No hop bitterness, of course, but there is that watermelon rind again. Slightly tangy finish. Can't say I get any watermelon sweetness-but there is a citrus flavor. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Could drink this all day.

2.78/5  rDev -16.3%

From the can into a standard Sea Dog pint glass

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with a bit of sediment. Very small white head that goes away fairly quickly. What you would expect from a wheat beer.

S - Trying to pull out some watermelon smell but not getting it. Almost a odd vegetable aroma as well. The nose just really isn't doing it for me.

T - Artificial watermelon flavor at first followed by some wheat. Not a whole bunch going on here, expected more for sure.

M - The body is definitely on the lighter side with a small amount of carbonation. I think it needs to be upped a bit to help out the brew.

D - If this is your thing then pretty high. It's light enough in body and abv to drink a few. Probably a good lawnmower beer. Not really my thing but I might just chalk it up to being out of season as well as a slightly dated can.

pours a slightly hazy yellow color with good white fluffy head, good lacing, and average carbonation. i don't want to bash beer, but.... this beer was absolutley disgusting. i don't see how anyone could drink this. now, i'm hoping that maybe i just got some from a bad batch or something. it was brand new in my local bottle shop so i know it wasn't old. it had a nasty fish like smell and taste. so much so me and two other BA's couldn't make it past a few sips. all three beers got poured out. just to make sure i popped the rest of the sixer and it was the same in them all. avoid this shit at all cost!

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Something different, has a jolly rancher watermelon vibe to it. I'd get it again if I saw it.

3.68/5  rDev +10.8%

Got as an extra in a trade with brewer b ( great guy trade with him)
poured into a weizen glass, cloudy amber, thick white head, some lacing, head lasts for days it seems.
smells like a wheat beer with watermelon jollyrancher in it.
taste's similar to the smell, but less watermelon. still a lot though.
mouthfeel i fairly carbonated, very refreshing.
as a rule i don't like wheat beers and i hate fruit beers, yet i like this beer. its tasty as hell. i can't explain it, but i like it. when i move to california i plan to keep a 12 pack or so of this around for hot summer days.

4.06/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Just a really refreshing canned beer. Perfect for a hot day if you want something on the sweeter end. Not normally one for fruit beers, or wheat beers for that matter, but this remains an exception.

4.04/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Normally, I stay away from fruit flavored beers because they often come across tasting like candy or are just too sweet for my liking. But not with Hell or High Watermelon. You get a hint of the watermelon and it doesn't over power other parts of the beer. It's actually one of my go to beers to bring to summertime BBQ's at the neighborhood pool. It's very refreshing to drink on a hot summer's day.

2.78/5  rDev -16.3%

I give them cedit with coming up with a unique, off-beat flavor combination. That doesn't mean I found it to be a particularly tasty or refreshing combination. Pours a bit of a hazy yellow, with maybe an inch of foam. Slight watermelon aroma. The flavor is tart watermelon grafted onto an ordinary tasting wheat beer. It comes across as just odd. Can't see it really pairing with food very well, and not really refreshing. Sort of interesting to taste once but not something I plan to have more of.

2.65/5  rDev -20.2%

Now I've been wanting to try me so 21st amendment for a quick minute now, and was pumped when I came across it at Julio's.

Appearance was was a slightly hazy pale yellow. Yellow and fizzy, so far no good.

Smell was very bland. not much there. fruity and crisp hops.

Taste had very little watermallon. I was expecting more melon for sure. Pale malts, and mild hops.

crisp light mouthfeel

3.62/5  rDev +9%

Something also on trade...this one a fruit, which I normally don't get a chance to try much. Pours a cloudy pilsey yellow with almost no head, and little lacing. Smells sweet, and green, and floral. Taste is interesting, different from many other fruit beers, surely some watermelon, but only hints. An interesting approach to a fruit beer and one that I was happy to try. Easy drinking, and not bitter and light. Carbonation is only low-moderate. Fun to try!

2.06/5  rDev -38%

Pours a hazy golden color, with a couple fingers of head. The smell is funky, but not in a good, Belgian sort of way. Instead its a strange, unpleasant smell, somewhat wheat like, but not entirely. The first taste is bitter, although not strongly so. After another sip or two, I start to notice the watermelon flavor, but I'm not enjoying it. I tried to finish this, but it became a drain pour instead. Perhaps its just the watermelon, but this beer simply does not work for me, even though I love wheat beers and fruit beers.

3.23/5  rDev -2.7%

P: Pours a faded yellow straw color, mostly opaque with an off-white head that leaves some sticky lacing as it falls.

A: Aromas predominately of sweet malt, butter biscuit, vanilla, and what can be deciphered as slowly melting watermelon sherbet. Hints of hops in the background.

T: Mostly sweet caramelized malts with hints of watermelon starbursts. Sweetness kind of overwhelms, lacks balance.

M: Somewhat heavy, soupy for a wheat. Noticeable carbonation.

D: Unbalanced, odd brew. Certainly not what I'd expect from a wheat brew.

2.96/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Interesting flavor. Not much smell. Refreshing summer beer.

2.88/5  rDev -13.3%

12oz can poured into a Widmer hefe glass.

A: Hazy yellow straw, no head, no lacing.

S: Rotten vegetables, yeast, some watermelon.

T: A more pronounced watermelon flavor. Slightly sweet, wheaty and malty. Nothing too crazy, pretty subdued flavors.

M: Medium body, but closer to thin. Medium carbonation.

D: Easy drinker, would be good on a hot day if I couldn't find any water. Nothing special.

2.9/5  rDev -12.7%

12oz can into no nic pint glass

A - hazy lite yellow with little to no head.

S - watermelon is only apparent with some effort. Overall weak wheat flavor with a tease of melon.

T - again weak wheat base with a tease of melon. With it were more pronounced to be something different. Just not much going on here. Easy to drink but forgettable.

M - light bodied and easy drinking. Finishes as easy as you would expect for such a weak beer.

O - not horrible but not special by any means. Almost interesting enough to seek out but I don't think I'll be having another. At best a novelty but not enough character to be good one.

2.92/5  rDev -12%

Do I hate this? Do I like it? I dunno.

Smells like..... Poo

3.24/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A: A hazy brew that is straw yellow, foamy white head fades into some lace.

S: Smell: Not much in the way of smell some wheat tang maybe.

T: Well we have a natural watermelon and some light wheat action happening, the flavor is not offensive but neither is it memorable. Letting this beer warm up does wonders for the flavor.

M: Hmmm it's not watery but its close, lots of carbonation.

D: Easy of the taste buds and the palette, nice on a super hot day

Notes: I was so excited to try this beer, since it just arrived into my area. The beer is not bad, but is not memorable either; I think it needs a little more kick in the flavor department.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery