Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 686 | Hads: 2,459
3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours from a 12oz can into a pint glass a hazy light straw color with a fingers worth of white head that dissipates quickly.

Nose is some sweet watermelon and grainy wheat.

Taste actually gets the watermelon aspect pretty spot on. Not too syrupy-sweet and fake-tasting like some fruit beers. The watermelon mixes with some standard wheat and a little sweet malt.

Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly refreshing. A great session beer.

Fruit beers can be really hit and miss, but this one works for me. The watermelon is subtle but tasty, nice grainy wheat and sweet malt, and crisp. My local bottle shop (Brew in south Philly) has six-packs of this for $12, and I'll definitely be picking up at least a few more this summer. (723 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

12oz bottle in weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden-yellow with a white head that falls quickly without much lacing.

S: Straw, watermelon, and a little malt in the nose. Sweet, but not in a candy watermelon way like other watermelon beers. The wheat smell is slightly offputing without the aid of spices most often found in wheat beers.

T: Wheat and a light fruity watermelon flavor that tastes very fresh. One again the wheat gives a straw-like impression, however, reminding me somewhat of a Triscuit or Shredded Wheat.

M: Similar to the Opa-Opa Watermelon in mouthfeel, a very light crisp beer, but leaving a residue in the back of the mouth.

D: For its type, the beer matches up well with others, but the grainy taste and smell leaves a little something to be desired. Crisp and refreshing, and miles above many other "lawnmower" beers, but nothing quite worthy of the massive praise it often recieves on certain beer podcasts. (937 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -37%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me. (542 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went in to the beer store to buy my wife a case of the new blue moon summer honey wheat or what ever it was and came across this melon wheat beer i just had to get it and hope she liked it well she didn't like it!... she LOVED it and so did I.

At first i opened the can poured it in to a glass and right off the bat ya can smell melon rind. I thought o no this is going to be bad but as it turned out this is my new best summer beer. (434 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Lots of fresh watermelon. Maybe a little wheat.

T: Fresh watermelon. It's good and sweet, but for the most part it's a one-note flavor. Some malt, and I'm not sure if there are hops or not. It's not a complex flavor, but it is very fun to drink.

M: Some bite in the back of the throat. Very bubby at first but calms down quickly.

D: Easy to drink. Refreshing. A great start for a summer barbecue or picnic. (461 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -36.4%

Got this on a recommendation of a friend and decided to pick some up try it and drop a review on it... Pours a hazy, golden color head is thin, white, bubbly and gone very quickly... Smell is of a standard beer variety with a slight sweetness. Would not pick out watermelon here if it wasn't on the can... Taste is not very pleasant slightly sour but not much there really... Again in searching for the watermelon flavor I liken it to a watermelon that just never got sweet... Guess that can be expected from a fruit that can either be really great or really uneventful... Was kinda surprised because previous reviews had mentioned an artificial flavor of watermelon and I just don't taste it... Might actually make it more enjoyable. Canned in 4/12 for not very old either only like 3 weeks. Can't say I'll be going back for this one. (835 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +15.9%

On tap @ 21st Ammendment/San Francisco CA (from notes)

Pilsner glass w/watermelon wedge.

Not too cloudy amber color. Slightly bitter. Really standard American Wheat profile, if subpar. The watermelon wedge rescues this significantly although maybe they had to tone down the wheat to balance with the fruit? I dont know ...

Fun to drink though, very light, summer-y. (368 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance - Light yellow, with a slight haze and a fairly thick but shortlived white head after the pour.

Smell - Slight watermelon on the nose, with sweet and a little spiciness.

Taste - Very nice sublte sourness, like from a slightly less than ripe melon. Watermelon was not overpowering but noticable. Nice clean wheat beer at the front of the sip.

Mouthfeel - Good and crisp. Spritzy, like you would expect a summer brew.

Overall, very nice effort from 21st Amendment. As always, I love their cans for convienence sake. An easy drinking beer when you want something just a little different. If you are looking for huge depth and complexity, this beer is not for you. If judged for what it is, it deserves a try. (724 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Cloudy yellow pour with a nice creamy white head. Smells of yeast with the faintest watermelon note, though i'm not sure if i would've gotten that blindly.

Watermelon flavor is more pronounced in my mouth, though not overwhelming. I'm not a big fan of ciders or fruit beers, but this I can handle. Very light. Almost hard to tell that it's a beer. Pairs nicely with a fresh chevre.

On a hot sunny day, my wallet would be the limiting factor of how many of these I could drink. (479 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +4.6%

I had this beer on-tap at the 21st Amendment brewery in San Francisco. I had it during the summer and it was a good summer beer. It was highly drinkable-very light and crisp. There was a strong aroma of watermelon and it was served which a watermelon wedge on the side of the pint glass. (287 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Interesting taste but not enough so to buy again. The smell is about average not very intriguing. The taste is beerish with a nice blend of watermelon fruit lasting in the end - almost like a light beer with a watermelon jolly rancher mixed in. 143 Calories per can with 4.9% ABV. (280 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours slightly hazy straw color out of the can with a good deal of carbonation, though the head recedes fairly quickly and not much lacing to speak of.

Aroma is slightly sour, faint hint of watermelon but mostly sour fruit, green apple. Flavor of initial jolly rancher like watermelon gives away quickly to a sour component which I may be more sensitive to, as I'm not particularly fond of sour ales. Wife says it tastes like taking a hefe and melting a watermelon jolly rancher into it. I would agree, with the added sourness. Finishes crisp and dry, with mild bitterness. No real hop flavor present.

Wierd is how I would describe it, not really in a bad way, but its wierd. Intersting, but probably not one I would be in a rush to get again. (745 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

I didn't know what to expect but some guys recommended this @ Beltway Liquors, here in Baltimore. I'm usually disappointed when it comes to "novelty beers" so I did not have high expectations; this one is pretty refreshing, though. Don't expect to be overwhelmed with the watermelon flavor, it's pretty subtle and comes in toward the back of the taste. Almost zero hoppiness, I do detect a little spice in there. Makes for an interesting combination with the watermelon. I think this would be an excellent session beer in warm weather. Would pair nicely with salad or most any kind of fruit. Moderate carbonation--seems like just the right amount for this beer. Nothing remarkable a/b smell or appearance. Cans make for excellent portability and more compact for storage. (771 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

First time I had this was at 21st Amendment in SF and it came with a watermelon slice, I remembered it being a decent wheat beer. Two years later and it's still pretty satisfying. Pours a slightly hazy light-yellow with greenish-tones and a tiny head that dissipates quickly. Smell is wheat, some citrus and hints of watermelon. The nice thing about the watermelon taste throughout is that, as others have noted, it's genuine and smooth rather than artificial. Lots of wheat and watermelon flavor and mouthfeel is alright, really what you'd expect from an American wheat. (571 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Two finger white head (if you've beaten egg whites, the head looks like soft peak egg whites), Hazy Straw (about a 3 SRM), Very Nice Lacing

Nose: Big Wheat, Watermelon, Citrus (not connected to the watermelon at all, smells more orange zest-lime zest), Light Yeast

Taste: Wheat, Watermelon (Not the red part, more like the white rind.), Yeasty, Strong Carb,Body is well for a wheat

Final Thoughts: I was expecting alot more from 21st, but it is exactly that it says it is, a wheat beer with watermelon. This would be a good one for someone who has buddies that are coming over and they aren't big into the complex stuff but like blue moon and such but this is still enjoyable to the craft brew fan.

Food Pairings: Veggies, Salad, Grilled Chicken, Grilled Pork, Light body Cheeses. (796 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.
A - Nothing special A pale straw color with minimal head and no retention.

S - I kind of liked the smell of watermelon, but other than that there is just the slightest hint of wheat.

T - Unspectacular but pleasantly refreshing.

M -Very little. A lot like macro.

O - OK paradoxically, I enjoyed this beer, but not because it resembled anything I would call "craft beer." I would consider this nice and interesting lawnmower beer. Sort of like the pleasure one would get drinking a Pabst or Natty Boh but with watermelon--which ain't a bad thing! (585 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +16.8%

From a can poured into a shaker pint. Only one finger of head developed.

A: a light golden yellow with mininal visible carbonation

S: No smell of watermelon at all. The smell was crisp with a citric and floral hint

T: Great actually. The watermelon really comes through in the finish. Reminds me a jolly rancher.

M: Good. The small amount of carbonation helped develop the characteristics on the palate.

D: Good. I enjoyed this beer a lot. (454 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +2.8%

I have had this out of a can several times now. Pours a crisp, macro like yellow, with a thick white head. The carbonation on these also is pretty macro-esque high. The smell picks up some candy sweetness, that is picked up in the beer as well. While this is usually a little too sweet for me, it hits the spot on a hot summers day. My wife also really enjoys this beer. (370 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +33.6%

Hazy gold, mildly turbid. Clean, sweet, slightly fruity smell. Taste: sour watermelon, sweetness of a wheat, hops linger. Can see myself craving this as a replacement for a sour beer when sours/wilds are not available. Really good balance among the 3 tastes w/o losing anything. Mouthfeel is light, watery. Drinkability is excellent. (333 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.8%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me. (1,082 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks a little flimsy with it's weak and nearly transparent head.

Smells sweeter than a non-fruit wheat, but good.

Taste is sweet with a strong watermelon aftertaste.

Overall this is a great summer wheat. Maybe a little too sweet for my liking, but still certainly worth a try. (281 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +14.4%

This beer gets a lot of flack, but I actually really enjoy it. It tastes a little artificial, but it is actually very refreshing. The watermelon is more pronounced than the wheat, but it goes down pretty well on a hot day. It is refreshing and flavorful and I would (will) be buying it again. (292 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +4.6%

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Typically with fruit beers you'll get something overly sweet to the point that it just tastes fake. Especially with Watermelon beers, they often just taste like drinking a Jolly Rancher. Surprisingly, that was the not the case here, and while there was a ton of watermelon flavor, it really wasn't that overly sweet syrup flavor. Pretty good I'd say, not something I'd get all the time, but I did enjoy it. (455 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +13.1%

I received a can of this thanks to kplynch and RblWthACoz. I couldn't wait to try this oddball beer, I poured it in my hoegaarden glass and the smell hit me pretty hard, I think you could smell the watermelon on the other side of the room. The taste of it surprised me, I did not get the jolly rancher flavor, it's more like a watermelon rind taste to me. Goes down really smooth, not something I would drink a whole lot of but I can imagine this would be good on a really hot day. It is rather tart and refreshing. (515 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +45.9%

in the past couple of weeks i've had it out of the can directly and poured it into a glass.

It pours a very nice light yellow with a small white head.

Smells of summer to me, with a hint of watermelon and a nice yeasty fresh smell.

Taste is perfect, you get a hint of watermelon as you drink it, other than that its got some nice spicing with the wheat and overall is just an amazing beer for hanging out bbqing and enjoying summer/warm weather. This is my new favorite summer beer.

Great light mouthfeel, with just enough kick to get your mouth excited.

Drikability is amazing. I could sit there and drink this all day absolutely fantastic. (651 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery