Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 2,501
1.46/5  rDev -55.6%

Bought a single can to give it a try. I want to like 21st Amendment...

A - Very pale cloudy yellow. No head, little lacing.

S - Smells like slightly rotting organic matter. Maybe the insides of a pumpkin. Maybe the watermelon rinds after two weeks in the hot sun. It certainly has a strong smell, but it's the least appealing smell I've ever found in a beer. Near gag reflex. I can't stress this enough. This smells awful. I never drain pour a beer. I'm close on this one, and I've never tasted it!

T & M - See above. Imagine that ambiguous rotting organic matter is now soaked in Miller Lite, and then rung out into a can. For good measure, I imagine this can was probably left in the sun another couple of hours. The only positive is my breath is now watermelony fresh. That's the first I really noticed the watermelon, and I hope it never finds its way into a beer again.

D - You'll have to ask my drain on this one. I have no intentions of finishing this.

This is the worst beer I've had in a VERY long time...

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chilled pint glass

A - Straw hazy orange...identical to a blue moon. Depleting one inch head and noticeably a wheat beer.

S - You get that wheat beer smell some fruit and melon too. No hop presence.

T - A perfect summer, easy drinking brew. In the taste you really get that watermelon flavor.especially after swallowing it... I don't understand why this beer got the rating it did....so lame.

M - easy drinking brew, medium carbonation.

A perfect beer for hanging out back with a bbq. easy drinking...slightly fruity. Some citra hop presence would have put this beer over the top....it would of complemented this watermelon nice. Go get it.

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz can served in a Sam Adams pint glass. Purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ.

A: Cloudy light golden/straw body. Tall fluffy white head settled fairly quickly into thin film.

S: Smells like other wheat beers I've had. Assorted grains with hints of lemon. Watermelon is also faintly present.

T: A somewhat sweet and fruity, but not overbearing, start. Watermelon is again present. Finishes a bit tart.

M: Light to Medium bodied. A bit crisp.

D: Refreshing on a hot summer day. It's a decent beer, but not overly impressive. Low alcohol and light body increase its drinkability.

3.75/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a beer can glass on 06.18.14.

A: 1/2 finger head that quickly recedes to a ring. Cloudy yellow/orange body.

S: Lemon, wheat, and orange peel. It smells like a typical wit.

T: Watermelon and wheat. That's it.

M: Creamy smooth and crisp.

O: The watermelon works well with the wheat. It tastes good, but there is nothing else to it.

Rating: C, 75/100.

4.07/5  rDev +23.7%

Thanks to Lou91 for the "bonus can" in our recently completed trade.

Poured from a 12 oz. silver can depicting what looks like mob guys in suits into my Duvel tulip.
Huge frothy white head on a clear golden body. Little retention in the head left little lace to speak of on the beer. Steady stream of bubbles rises from south to north.
Aroma of overripe watermelon. Not very pungent, but sweet, like watermelon sitting in a bowl in the sun for a few hours. No discernable hop aroma, just fruit. Actually very nice.
Initial taste is not far from the aroma. Sweet watermelon juice with a little maltyness and cantelope. Definate hoppy bitterness rounds out the back of the tongue. Quite refreshing. This is a definate summer beer. I could easily see myself sipping cans of these on the beach or a boat.
Light mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Crisp and snappy.

Thanks to Lou for the chance to try this one. I can see myself trading for a case next June.

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours from a 12oz can into a pint glass a hazy light straw color with a fingers worth of white head that dissipates quickly.

Nose is some sweet watermelon and grainy wheat.

Taste actually gets the watermelon aspect pretty spot on. Not too syrupy-sweet and fake-tasting like some fruit beers. The watermelon mixes with some standard wheat and a little sweet malt.

Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly refreshing. A great session beer.

Fruit beers can be really hit and miss, but this one works for me. The watermelon is subtle but tasty, nice grainy wheat and sweet malt, and crisp. My local bottle shop (Brew in south Philly) has six-packs of this for $12, and I'll definitely be picking up at least a few more this summer.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle in weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden-yellow with a white head that falls quickly without much lacing.

S: Straw, watermelon, and a little malt in the nose. Sweet, but not in a candy watermelon way like other watermelon beers. The wheat smell is slightly offputing without the aid of spices most often found in wheat beers.

T: Wheat and a light fruity watermelon flavor that tastes very fresh. One again the wheat gives a straw-like impression, however, reminding me somewhat of a Triscuit or Shredded Wheat.

M: Similar to the Opa-Opa Watermelon in mouthfeel, a very light crisp beer, but leaving a residue in the back of the mouth.

D: For its type, the beer matches up well with others, but the grainy taste and smell leaves a little something to be desired. Crisp and refreshing, and miles above many other "lawnmower" beers, but nothing quite worthy of the massive praise it often recieves on certain beer podcasts.

2.06/5  rDev -37.4%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me.

4.44/5  rDev +35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went in to the beer store to buy my wife a case of the new blue moon summer honey wheat or what ever it was and came across this melon wheat beer i just had to get it and hope she liked it well she didn't like it!... she LOVED it and so did I.

At first i opened the can poured it in to a glass and right off the bat ya can smell melon rind. I thought o no this is going to be bad but as it turned out this is my new best summer beer.

3.9/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Lots of fresh watermelon. Maybe a little wheat.

T: Fresh watermelon. It's good and sweet, but for the most part it's a one-note flavor. Some malt, and I'm not sure if there are hops or not. It's not a complex flavor, but it is very fun to drink.

M: Some bite in the back of the throat. Very bubby at first but calms down quickly.

D: Easy to drink. Refreshing. A great start for a summer barbecue or picnic.

2.08/5  rDev -36.8%

Got this on a recommendation of a friend and decided to pick some up try it and drop a review on it... Pours a hazy, golden color head is thin, white, bubbly and gone very quickly... Smell is of a standard beer variety with a slight sweetness. Would not pick out watermelon here if it wasn't on the can... Taste is not very pleasant slightly sour but not much there really... Again in searching for the watermelon flavor I liken it to a watermelon that just never got sweet... Guess that can be expected from a fruit that can either be really great or really uneventful... Was kinda surprised because previous reviews had mentioned an artificial flavor of watermelon and I just don't taste it... Might actually make it more enjoyable. Canned in 4/12 for not very old either only like 3 weeks. Can't say I'll be going back for this one.

3.79/5  rDev +15.2%

On tap @ 21st Ammendment/San Francisco CA (from notes)

Pilsner glass w/watermelon wedge.

Not too cloudy amber color. Slightly bitter. Really standard American Wheat profile, if subpar. The watermelon wedge rescues this significantly although maybe they had to tone down the wheat to balance with the fruit? I dont know ...

Fun to drink though, very light, summer-y.

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance - Light yellow, with a slight haze and a fairly thick but shortlived white head after the pour.

Smell - Slight watermelon on the nose, with sweet and a little spiciness.

Taste - Very nice sublte sourness, like from a slightly less than ripe melon. Watermelon was not overpowering but noticable. Nice clean wheat beer at the front of the sip.

Mouthfeel - Good and crisp. Spritzy, like you would expect a summer brew.

Overall, very nice effort from 21st Amendment. As always, I love their cans for convienence sake. An easy drinking beer when you want something just a little different. If you are looking for huge depth and complexity, this beer is not for you. If judged for what it is, it deserves a try.

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Cloudy yellow pour with a nice creamy white head. Smells of yeast with the faintest watermelon note, though i'm not sure if i would've gotten that blindly.

Watermelon flavor is more pronounced in my mouth, though not overwhelming. I'm not a big fan of ciders or fruit beers, but this I can handle. Very light. Almost hard to tell that it's a beer. Pairs nicely with a fresh chevre.

On a hot sunny day, my wallet would be the limiting factor of how many of these I could drink.

3.42/5  rDev +4%

I had this beer on-tap at the 21st Amendment brewery in San Francisco. I had it during the summer and it was a good summer beer. It was highly drinkable-very light and crisp. There was a strong aroma of watermelon and it was served which a watermelon wedge on the side of the pint glass.

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Interesting taste but not enough so to buy again. The smell is about average not very intriguing. The taste is beerish with a nice blend of watermelon fruit lasting in the end - almost like a light beer with a watermelon jolly rancher mixed in. 143 Calories per can with 4.9% ABV.

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours slightly hazy straw color out of the can with a good deal of carbonation, though the head recedes fairly quickly and not much lacing to speak of.

Aroma is slightly sour, faint hint of watermelon but mostly sour fruit, green apple. Flavor of initial jolly rancher like watermelon gives away quickly to a sour component which I may be more sensitive to, as I'm not particularly fond of sour ales. Wife says it tastes like taking a hefe and melting a watermelon jolly rancher into it. I would agree, with the added sourness. Finishes crisp and dry, with mild bitterness. No real hop flavor present.

Wierd is how I would describe it, not really in a bad way, but its wierd. Intersting, but probably not one I would be in a rush to get again.

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

I didn't know what to expect but some guys recommended this @ Beltway Liquors, here in Baltimore. I'm usually disappointed when it comes to "novelty beers" so I did not have high expectations; this one is pretty refreshing, though. Don't expect to be overwhelmed with the watermelon flavor, it's pretty subtle and comes in toward the back of the taste. Almost zero hoppiness, I do detect a little spice in there. Makes for an interesting combination with the watermelon. I think this would be an excellent session beer in warm weather. Would pair nicely with salad or most any kind of fruit. Moderate carbonation--seems like just the right amount for this beer. Nothing remarkable a/b smell or appearance. Cans make for excellent portability and more compact for storage.

3.15/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Two finger white head (if you've beaten egg whites, the head looks like soft peak egg whites), Hazy Straw (about a 3 SRM), Very Nice Lacing

Nose: Big Wheat, Watermelon, Citrus (not connected to the watermelon at all, smells more orange zest-lime zest), Light Yeast

Taste: Wheat, Watermelon (Not the red part, more like the white rind.), Yeasty, Strong Carb,Body is well for a wheat

Final Thoughts: I was expecting alot more from 21st, but it is exactly that it says it is, a wheat beer with watermelon. This would be a good one for someone who has buddies that are coming over and they aren't big into the complex stuff but like blue moon and such but this is still enjoyable to the craft brew fan.

Food Pairings: Veggies, Salad, Grilled Chicken, Grilled Pork, Light body Cheeses.

3.87/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very light , nice watermelon after taste. Great hot day beer. After 2 though the what was great turned into an ok beer. Very wheat like but the initial watermelon taste becomes a bit bad of an aftertaste.

3.01/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.
A - Nothing special A pale straw color with minimal head and no retention.

S - I kind of liked the smell of watermelon, but other than that there is just the slightest hint of wheat.

T - Unspectacular but pleasantly refreshing.

M -Very little. A lot like macro.

O - OK paradoxically, I enjoyed this beer, but not because it resembled anything I would call "craft beer." I would consider this nice and interesting lawnmower beer. Sort of like the pleasure one would get drinking a Pabst or Natty Boh but with watermelon--which ain't a bad thing!

3.82/5  rDev +16.1%

From a can poured into a shaker pint. Only one finger of head developed.

A: a light golden yellow with mininal visible carbonation

S: No smell of watermelon at all. The smell was crisp with a citric and floral hint

T: Great actually. The watermelon really comes through in the finish. Reminds me a jolly rancher.

M: Good. The small amount of carbonation helped develop the characteristics on the palate.

D: Good. I enjoyed this beer a lot.

3.36/5  rDev +2.1%

I have had this out of a can several times now. Pours a crisp, macro like yellow, with a thick white head. The carbonation on these also is pretty macro-esque high. The smell picks up some candy sweetness, that is picked up in the beer as well. While this is usually a little too sweet for me, it hits the spot on a hot summers day. My wife also really enjoys this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +32.8%

Hazy gold, mildly turbid. Clean, sweet, slightly fruity smell. Taste: sour watermelon, sweetness of a wheat, hops linger. Can see myself craving this as a replacement for a sour beer when sours/wilds are not available. Really good balance among the 3 tastes w/o losing anything. Mouthfeel is light, watery. Drinkability is excellent.

2.36/5  rDev -28.3%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery