Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Reviews: 710 | Ratings: 2,592
3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance - Light yellow, with a slight haze and a fairly thick but shortlived white head after the pour.

Smell - Slight watermelon on the nose, with sweet and a little spiciness.

Taste - Very nice sublte sourness, like from a slightly less than ripe melon. Watermelon was not overpowering but noticable. Nice clean wheat beer at the front of the sip.

Mouthfeel - Good and crisp. Spritzy, like you would expect a summer brew.

Overall, very nice effort from 21st Amendment. As always, I love their cans for convienence sake. An easy drinking beer when you want something just a little different. If you are looking for huge depth and complexity, this beer is not for you. If judged for what it is, it deserves a try.

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Cloudy yellow pour with a nice creamy white head. Smells of yeast with the faintest watermelon note, though i'm not sure if i would've gotten that blindly.

Watermelon flavor is more pronounced in my mouth, though not overwhelming. I'm not a big fan of ciders or fruit beers, but this I can handle. Very light. Almost hard to tell that it's a beer. Pairs nicely with a fresh chevre.

On a hot sunny day, my wallet would be the limiting factor of how many of these I could drink.

3.42/5  rDev +4%

I had this beer on-tap at the 21st Amendment brewery in San Francisco. I had it during the summer and it was a good summer beer. It was highly drinkable-very light and crisp. There was a strong aroma of watermelon and it was served which a watermelon wedge on the side of the pint glass.

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Interesting taste but not enough so to buy again. The smell is about average not very intriguing. The taste is beerish with a nice blend of watermelon fruit lasting in the end - almost like a light beer with a watermelon jolly rancher mixed in. 143 Calories per can with 4.9% ABV.

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours slightly hazy straw color out of the can with a good deal of carbonation, though the head recedes fairly quickly and not much lacing to speak of.

Aroma is slightly sour, faint hint of watermelon but mostly sour fruit, green apple. Flavor of initial jolly rancher like watermelon gives away quickly to a sour component which I may be more sensitive to, as I'm not particularly fond of sour ales. Wife says it tastes like taking a hefe and melting a watermelon jolly rancher into it. I would agree, with the added sourness. Finishes crisp and dry, with mild bitterness. No real hop flavor present.

Wierd is how I would describe it, not really in a bad way, but its wierd. Intersting, but probably not one I would be in a rush to get again.

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

I didn't know what to expect but some guys recommended this @ Beltway Liquors, here in Baltimore. I'm usually disappointed when it comes to "novelty beers" so I did not have high expectations; this one is pretty refreshing, though. Don't expect to be overwhelmed with the watermelon flavor, it's pretty subtle and comes in toward the back of the taste. Almost zero hoppiness, I do detect a little spice in there. Makes for an interesting combination with the watermelon. I think this would be an excellent session beer in warm weather. Would pair nicely with salad or most any kind of fruit. Moderate carbonation--seems like just the right amount for this beer. Nothing remarkable a/b smell or appearance. Cans make for excellent portability and more compact for storage.

3.15/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Two finger white head (if you've beaten egg whites, the head looks like soft peak egg whites), Hazy Straw (about a 3 SRM), Very Nice Lacing

Nose: Big Wheat, Watermelon, Citrus (not connected to the watermelon at all, smells more orange zest-lime zest), Light Yeast

Taste: Wheat, Watermelon (Not the red part, more like the white rind.), Yeasty, Strong Carb,Body is well for a wheat

Final Thoughts: I was expecting alot more from 21st, but it is exactly that it says it is, a wheat beer with watermelon. This would be a good one for someone who has buddies that are coming over and they aren't big into the complex stuff but like blue moon and such but this is still enjoyable to the craft brew fan.

Food Pairings: Veggies, Salad, Grilled Chicken, Grilled Pork, Light body Cheeses.

3.01/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.
A - Nothing special A pale straw color with minimal head and no retention.

S - I kind of liked the smell of watermelon, but other than that there is just the slightest hint of wheat.

T - Unspectacular but pleasantly refreshing.

M -Very little. A lot like macro.

O - OK paradoxically, I enjoyed this beer, but not because it resembled anything I would call "craft beer." I would consider this nice and interesting lawnmower beer. Sort of like the pleasure one would get drinking a Pabst or Natty Boh but with watermelon--which ain't a bad thing!

3.82/5  rDev +16.1%

From a can poured into a shaker pint. Only one finger of head developed.

A: a light golden yellow with mininal visible carbonation

S: No smell of watermelon at all. The smell was crisp with a citric and floral hint

T: Great actually. The watermelon really comes through in the finish. Reminds me a jolly rancher.

M: Good. The small amount of carbonation helped develop the characteristics on the palate.

D: Good. I enjoyed this beer a lot.

3.36/5  rDev +2.1%

I have had this out of a can several times now. Pours a crisp, macro like yellow, with a thick white head. The carbonation on these also is pretty macro-esque high. The smell picks up some candy sweetness, that is picked up in the beer as well. While this is usually a little too sweet for me, it hits the spot on a hot summers day. My wife also really enjoys this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +32.8%

Hazy gold, mildly turbid. Clean, sweet, slightly fruity smell. Taste: sour watermelon, sweetness of a wheat, hops linger. Can see myself craving this as a replacement for a sour beer when sours/wilds are not available. Really good balance among the 3 tastes w/o losing anything. Mouthfeel is light, watery. Drinkability is excellent.

2.36/5  rDev -28.3%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me.

3.52/5  rDev +7%

This is an odd beer, but they pull off the watermelon-wheat combination fairly well. The yeast is clearly American rather than European, so the yeastiness is subtle and not very complex. The aroma is fruitier than the flavor, which is a fairly typical American Wheat with just a hint of upfront sweetness and sourness in the aftertaste. The watermelon is natural tasting but almost closer to watermelon peel (which I've had pickled) than fresh watermelon.

This would be a very drinkable and refreshing summer beer.

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks a little flimsy with it's weak and nearly transparent head.

Smells sweeter than a non-fruit wheat, but good.

Taste is sweet with a strong watermelon aftertaste.

Overall this is a great summer wheat. Maybe a little too sweet for my liking, but still certainly worth a try.

3.74/5  rDev +13.7%

This beer gets a lot of flack, but I actually really enjoy it. It tastes a little artificial, but it is actually very refreshing. The watermelon is more pronounced than the wheat, but it goes down pretty well on a hot day. It is refreshing and flavorful and I would (will) be buying it again.

2.87/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Drinking my first beer from 21 amendment... Not happy. Might as well of cracked a bud light open. Lacked personality, flavor, bite, and so much more. Looks like they mashed a few old watermelons and hoped for the best.

3.42/5  rDev +4%

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Typically with fruit beers you'll get something overly sweet to the point that it just tastes fake. Especially with Watermelon beers, they often just taste like drinking a Jolly Rancher. Surprisingly, that was the not the case here, and while there was a ton of watermelon flavor, it really wasn't that overly sweet syrup flavor. Pretty good I'd say, not something I'd get all the time, but I did enjoy it.

3.7/5  rDev +12.5%

I received a can of this thanks to kplynch and RblWthACoz. I couldn't wait to try this oddball beer, I poured it in my hoegaarden glass and the smell hit me pretty hard, I think you could smell the watermelon on the other side of the room. The taste of it surprised me, I did not get the jolly rancher flavor, it's more like a watermelon rind taste to me. Goes down really smooth, not something I would drink a whole lot of but I can imagine this would be good on a really hot day. It is rather tart and refreshing.

4.77/5  rDev +45%

in the past couple of weeks i've had it out of the can directly and poured it into a glass.

It pours a very nice light yellow with a small white head.

Smells of summer to me, with a hint of watermelon and a nice yeasty fresh smell.

Taste is perfect, you get a hint of watermelon as you drink it, other than that its got some nice spicing with the wheat and overall is just an amazing beer for hanging out bbqing and enjoying summer/warm weather. This is my new favorite summer beer.

Great light mouthfeel, with just enough kick to get your mouth excited.

Drikability is amazing. I could sit there and drink this all day absolutely fantastic.

2.07/5  rDev -37.1%

Looks very nice. Good lacing and pours bubbly. The smell and taste are overwhelmingly "fake" watermelon, less like the melon and more like a jolly rancher. Going down it comes off way too sweet and does not leave a nice aftertaste.

I would not get this again.

3.79/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Straight from the can. You defiantly get that watermelon taste with a wheaty back end. Light taste and refreshing the watermelon defiantly helps. Not bad!

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Hazy yellow/amber color. White head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Watermelon, obviously. Get some bready yeast in there. It's not bad, pretty interesting - just doesn't really smell like beer.

T: You do taste watermelon, but it's not obnoxious or sweet. The taste is watery though, and there isn't a whole lot of depth to this beer. Some wheat in there.

M: Very light. Finish is watery

D: At first, i'd say despite the lacklusterness of this beer that it was actually pretty drinkable. But about 10 min after i finished, i didn't really feel that great and the thought of another wasn't very appealing.

3.47/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can to a standard pint glass (this review from notes taken 7/21/11).

A - Pours a slightly cloudy orange/golden straw color, with 1/2-finger of off-white head that fizzled away quickly. Particles of sediment in suspension, and a little bit of thing lacing.

S - Very mild nose, with a bit of grassy, sunny wheat hidden within a dominating melon-rind/cucumber scent.

T - Mild flavor as well, semi-sweet melon flavor more reminiscent of the white part of a watermelon rind than the pink meat. A bit of sodawater bitterness on the finish, with a sweet wheaty aftertaste.

M - Lighter body, though not thin or watery. Fizzy carbonation bites the edges of the tongue.

D - Light flavor and body makes this crisp and refreshing. The watermelon isn't all that sweet, though it still dominates the mild flavor. It tastes "cool", not bright or warm like a regular wheat beer would, though it didn't have as much flavor as I wanted it to.

As an afterthought, it's "cool" flavor paired really well with spicy Mexican food I ate after my initial tastes.

3.57/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Look (3.75): Has the classic style look of a somewhat filtered wheat ale. Some major carbonation to this brew, as expected per wheat ales.

Smell (3.5): Sweet vanilla and biscuity aromas something off this guy. Mild watermelon in the nose.

Taste (3.75): Again, starts out sweet and bready like (biscuits) and then has a nice mild watermelon background and finish. Nothing to intense, just really sessionable.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Soft and supple feel to it. Light bodied and the carbonation bubbles slightly scrub the palate.

Overall (3.25): One of the enjoyable spring/summer time brews. Something easy sipping that you can drink all day, not an intensely flavorable brew by any means.

4.12/5  rDev +25.2%

I feel this is a very good watermelon wheat beer. Very light and perfect to drink on a hot summer day. I have only had this on draft and have yet to be disappointed it. Watermelon flavors are perfect and you can put this one back with satisfaction.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery