Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros

PappyVans, May 28, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

tkdchampxi, May 10, 2014

salthemonster, Jun 14, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +18.5%

appearance: hazy yellow gold with not much head and non-existent lacing.
smell: Very faint watermelon. I would've missed it had I not been sniffing for it.
taste: There's the watermelon! Pretty tasty.
mouthfeel: pretty slight. Some carbonation.
drinkability: This is quite refreshing on a hot Ga. summer afternoon.
Not bad, but not a seek it out, must have.

cindyjeffsmith, Aug 01, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +14%

Cooker_stp, Aug 22, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

gpawned, Jul 23, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer pours a clear, light golden wellow color with a thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has an odd aroma, to say the least. I can smell some watermelon. It has a very dominate grainy aroma however. It also has a very subtle spicy aroma. Not what I was expecting, and a little less than I would desire.

This beer tastes better than it smells, but only a little. Grainy. Very grainy. Some subtle watermelon flavor mixes in. That is about it. Not bad, but although I cant really put it into words, its not wat I was expecting.

This beer is high in carbonation. It is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grainy watermelon aftertaste.

I dont knwo about the drinkability of this one. It is low enough in alcohol to make putting down a few easy, but I didnt like the taste, so I couldnt see myself drinking too many.

Overall: I am happy to have finally had the chance to try this one. Every time I stop by the brewery, they are out, so having my wife find it was a real treat. Although it wasnt what I was expecting, I have no regrets about it. Nice try 21st Amendment.

OStrungT, Oct 23, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

BKBassist, Jul 21, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

The Hell or High Watermelon poured a hazy dark yellow color with a small 1 finger foam head that dissipated quickly and not much in the way of lacing.

The smell was a sour note with the taste hitting you with a good wheat malt background with a really sweet juice of watermelon in your grill. It left a tad bit of bitterness but it could not overpower the watermelon. Overall this might be a good one for the woman but pretty darn plain in my tastes.

cswhitehorse, Aug 15, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +24%

Wayne17, Aug 21, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

polopaul20, Oct 01, 2014
2.55/5  rDev -22.5%

A cellar temperature can is poured into a pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy and has the color of tarnished gold. A few fingers worth of off-white foam rises out of the liquid, but it doesn't stay for long. Already the bubbles that make it up are popping. Eventually, all that is left is a skim of foam. No lacing is left behind. Lots of carbonation bubbles are rising within the glass.

The beer has a sweet wheat aroma. I can smell watermelon, but I'm not sure I would have been able to identify the scent if I didn't know this beer had the fruit in it.

This is a sweet, fruity beer. Some aspects of its wheat base are apparent, especially as I swallow. Mostly I taste sweet watermelon flavors, like a piece of candy. There may be a hint of bitterness as soon as I taste the beer, but if it is there, it is gone quickly.

For a summer beer, this one sits heavy in my mouth. A lot of foamy carbonation is present, and the coating is thick and sticky.

Overall, this isn't a beer I'd go back to. I prefer a lighter wheat beer for a summer seasonal, and I'm not a fan of watermelon the fruit, so watermelon the beer probably isn't for me either. Still, its an interesting and commendable experiment.

ToasterChef, Jul 06, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A can picked up at Union Jacks, poured into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with big foamy white head. Fades quickly leaving no lacing, very little retention. Smells like a typical wheat beer, cereal malts, wheat, spices, and a touch of lemon. Tastes of sweet malts, honey, wheat, clove, coriander, and orange and lemon zest followed by a nice blast of watermelon. Medium light in body with some moderate carbonation. Crisp and sweet with a nice sour melon finish that is semi-dry. Very refreshing and easy to drink, a nice summer session.

HopDerek, Jun 28, 2009

briandaube, Jun 02, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

jsurfs82, Jan 22, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk for this one.

Poured a 12oz can into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a hazy straw with a 1 finger head that disappeared within seconds and left no lacing at all. The aroma reminds me of a whole grain bagel with some sort of berry cream cheese. Good for breakfast not for beer. The taste is just flat out strange. The flavor is very grainy. It really reminds me of a Everything Bagel form Einstein Bagels mixed with a glass of water that had a Watermelon Jolly Rancher dropped in. Good for Zima, not some much for beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. I'm sorry, but I think I would choose a glass of water over another one of these brews.

hwwty4, Oct 21, 2008

July2Nov, Jun 26, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -54.4%

tastymug, Jan 21, 2013
3.36/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

$4.75 can had at Brick Oven Bistro in Sandusky, Ohio after a Cedar Point trip. If you're hungry after visiting Cedar Point, that place is an absolute must visit. Well, if you're hungry for PIZZA after Cedar Point... anyway! Served into the snifter that was handed to me.

I've heard some seriously mixed things about this beer since I first heard about it about a year ago. I've been interested in having it, and finally had the opportunity (obviously). First things first, the can is awesome and catches the eye. Taking a smell... I get the slightest amount of watermelon. Really, it's super wheat. It smells like a pretty mediocre wheat beer and is incredibly "meh".

The appearance is slightly hazy (hm, could that be from the wheat!?) yellow with a bright white head that dies down. No lacing that I could tell.

Okay, the taste. Seriously, if you've had Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, think of that, but replace the lemon with watermelon. Massive amounts of watermelon in this one, no joke. A bit of a wheaty finish, but there's not much to it outside of the watermelon. Not very beer-y, but you get what you (should) expect. The smell is super deceiving. Very drinkable, tasty, sessionable as hell... just no complex flavors that'll make a sophisticated craft beer drinker think "Hm. Ah, yes. Quite exquisite *tips fedora*."

If you're looking for a beer that honestly tastes like watermelon (for some reason), here you go. Watermelon beginning until the end when a wheat character comes in to cleanse the palate a bit. I actually really enjoyed this beer and would definitely buy it in the summer if it were available in Michigan.

Alextricity, Jul 26, 2014

tclipse, Apr 15, 2014
2.45/5  rDev -25.5%

Interesting beer. I can't say I'd ever think of combining watermelon with beer (nor do I really enjoy fruity beers), but I was looking forward to trying this one when some friends brought it over. It had a decent aroma.. definitely wheat with juicy watermelon undertones. The taste was like a hefe that had a dissolved watermelon jolly rancher in it! Kind of odd, but drinkable none-the-less. I can't say I'd look forward to having this beer again, but I woudn't turn it down if it were offered to me either.

alysmith4, Dec 28, 2009

marct, Aug 25, 2013
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Good looking beer. Cloudy yellow body with one finger head, little lacing.

S: Not much here. Wheat and some spice. I cannot detect any watermelon

T: Watermelon does come through, but tastes quite artificial. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It kind of tastes like watermelon candy. You can also taste the wheat, malt, and some pepper or spice.

M: Light body (could be a tad bit thicker), and a bit flat, imo.

O: Refreshing. Decent summer beer, but that's about it.

sukwonee, Jul 04, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance is a light golden straw with a thick foamy head that sticks around with a lot of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. Smell of light fruit, perhaps watermelon, light honey. Taste is very light, I was honestly expecting more watermelon than wheat, but there is still a faint note having a light graininess to it. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. It's not a bad wheat, nice and light and easy to drink.

Bookseeb, Aug 19, 2010