Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

fehrminator, May 14, 2012

NonicPanic, Dec 06, 2013

psoriasaurus, Feb 14, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +21%

Pours a golden yellow color with am inch of white head that didn't linger. Highly visible carbonation.

Slight hints of melon in the nose with a bit of straw. Not quite as much as I anticipated.

The taste is crisp and refreshing with just a touch of sweetness in the back of the throat as it tingles the tastebuds and tongue. This might be the ultimate lawnmower beer! The malt character is of straw and just a light bready character. The wheat might be evident in the medium mouthfeel but there is no haze.

Delicious to say the least. Highly drinkable and easy to put away. I am glad this made it's way over to Ohio.

stewart124, Jul 07, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A - Soft golden, yellow with a small white head, especially for a wheat beer. Appears to have a thin body

S - Watermelon jolly rancher, soft wheat, light bubblegum and clove. Smells like what you'd expect for a watermelon wheat beer

T - Light watermelon is the first flavor you get. There are hints of the normal wheat beer as weel as you get hints of clove and bubblegum. Near the finish, there are hints of wheat as well as the watermelon that comes back. I like how they incorporated the watermelon to add flavor but still having the wheat beer behind it.

MF - Lightly carbonated and a bit light and watery on the body. Finish has some light carbonation that comes through. The lack of carbonation makes the body thin overall.

O - I love how they incorporated the watermelon into the beer and it fits perfectly. It is a nice summer, wheat beer. However, I do wish it had a bit more carbonation and body to it which make this one of the better wheat beers out there. Happy to see the experimentation with the new fruit flavors and I think it pays off.

jeonseh, Jul 04, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +14%

MarvinSnyder, May 30, 2014

jrfehon33, Jul 16, 2013

JustinMatthew, Jul 21, 2012

hayesjw, Jun 09, 2014

drdiesel9483, Feb 24, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Picked up a six pack today at Bevmo.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a good two inches of foam. A very soapy head with good retention until it falls down to a thin ring.

Aroma is surprisingly not as full loaded of watermelon as I thought and not as sweet. There is a tangy wheat and lemon aroma first and then the watermelon pushes through. There are also notes of grapes, salted cracker, passion fruit, and a bit of jolly rancher. Not bad at all.

Now the first time I tried this it was a small pour at a massive tasting and I literally chugged it down to get something else that was being poured and I remembered an intense watermelon flavored jolly rancher flavor. However, this time it seems more subtle with some wheat, lemon, and pepper in the mix...and I don't think this is an old can either since these guys just got distribution in San Diego. A bit of apple at first and then followed by some watermelon candy with a wheat finish.

Decent mouthfeel, clean and refreshing. I could easily drink this in a warm day when I have a sweet tooth and want something easy to drink.

seaoflament, Aug 22, 2008

ridgeline23, Jun 03, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

I had this on tap at the pour farm in New Bedford, MA

Pored a typical maco brew looking gold with small yellow fizzy head that turned into nothing. Smelled like a typical macro beer, kinda corny, not much smell. Watermelon obviously.

tastes good if you really enjoy fruit beers. I don't mind fruit beers, but this one just isnt for me. The watermelon tastes like a jolly rancher dipped into a bud light.

Mouthfeel is pretty average.

Drinkability is average because I can't see myself craving these.

overall: I really don't get what all the hype is about. Overrated.

tzieser, Jun 30, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

xdefeatsy, Jul 28, 2012

M_C_Hampton, Oct 10, 2012

PGVG, Apr 21, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +24%

Wayne17, Aug 21, 2014
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can, poured into a pint glass.

This beer pours a hazy straw color with a thin white head that settles very quickly. Lacing is slight around the edges, and carbonation is lively. Aroma is quite tart, with some honey, cracker, and citrus notes. As it warms, a butter popcorn-like smell develops in the background. Flavor is actually quite pleasant. Sweet up front, with wheat notes and hints of honey and biscuit. Tangy watermelon rind and a floral hop character round out the finish.

Hell or High Watermelon is a unique beer in many ways. Not excellent, but not horrible. It's drinkable, and I can see how it could be thirst-quenching on a hot Summer day. I can see what the brewers were trying to achieve, and while it is decent, I think there is room for improvement.

WYVYRN527, May 20, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Got this one at Heritage. I figured, why not? Ed and Tim (again...I can't remember if thats your name or not) told me that this is definitely not the right weather to be drinking this in. Boy were they right.

Poured into a small pint glass, this is a hazy light golden color with a foamy white head. Lively carbonation. Leaves only spots of lacing.

The nose is really really wierd. It's sweet and wheaty, but there is a sort of water-logged watermelon rind. It is a strange combination of wheat and yeast and a light melon smell, that just isn't really melon. It's just strange, not my thing.

The taste is a shock, actually. I had my hopes that this actually tasted like watermelon dashed when the nose told me it wouldn't. But alas, it actually kind of does. It's strange, again, and not necessarily in a good way. Yeasty and wheaty and melony. Again, not really my thing.

Mouthfeel is light with a high carbonation, but it's surprisingly smooth and easy going. Drinkability is good, I can imagine that non-craft beer drinkers would love this stuff. My girlfriend and her mother (not craft-beer drinkers) liked it but both agreed it would be better on a hot summer day.

Overall, not really impressed, but I didn't have to be. This won't color my opinion of the brewery, as it's the only brew I had and I knew what I was getting myself into. I'll try their IPA before I write them off.

Mistofminn, Nov 30, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -24%

jriggins6, Jan 04, 2012

DavidHume, Jun 17, 2014
3.88/5  rDev +17.9%

I, too, must thank Lou91 for this sample. I have been wanting to try this one.

Poured a pale straw color with a touch of cloudiness. Two finger, white head formed and then quickly disappeared. Some light lacing left behind.

Aroma is light. Average wheat beer smell, but with a hint of sweet watermelon. That little wiff of watermelon peaks my curiosity.

The taste follows the same path as the aroma. At first, it seems to be an average wheat beer, but then the watermelon creeps in. Nicely blended between the two. I was worried that it might be too sweet, but it is not. Watermelon aftertaste reminds you that it is a different kind of wheat beer.

Nice, light mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. This would have been an interesting beer to bring to a cookout. I think most people would enjoy it.

Imstillthegman, Oct 02, 2006