Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 674 | Hads: 2,386
2.87/5  rDev -12.2%

A: slightly hazy light straw. good inch and a half of fine-grained white head, supported by strong carbonation.

S: vegetal. melon. no strong hops. melon coming through a bit stronger.

T: creamy, watery, biscuty wheat with unidentifiable melon notes. the melon does cross over from "watermelon" to "cantalope" a bit; not desireable.

M: fine.

D: medium. The taste and novelty just wear out after a while. Had this been colder, or had I more of a thirst for a light refreshing beverage, it might work. On a hot summer day, maybe; on this cool fall day, not so much. (566 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. It is a nice golden hue and slightly cloudy a very nice colored wheat. The head was gone within a minute almost as fast as a MGD.

Aroma is wheat and malt and sour watermelon like the wheat and malt not so much the melon. It reminds me of a jolly rancher.

Found the taste rather bland. The hint of watermelon is not that pleasant.

I found the mouthfeel a little flat could use more carbonation.

Kind of an average beer. (459 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks Nick of ThreeWiseMen for letting me try this. I'm pretty much expecting this to be a novelty.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color with a good amount of head and lacing. About what I would expect from a wheat beer.

Smell: It's hard to say if I like the smell or hate it. There's definitely wheat and yeast in there, but after that the smell is just strange. The watermelon smell is not very pleasant. It kind of smells like watermelon that has been sitting in the sun for a few days. But I guess that should be expected - it's fermented watermelon!

Taste: Almost seems like they were trying too hard to make it known that "hey! we put watermelon in our beer!" The watermelon is definitely the dominant taste with wheat making a cameo appearance and everything else is really toned down. That being said, I don't think the taste is horrible. It's just... interesting.

Mouthfeel: Grainy, watery, medium carbonation. I could see how this might be refreshing on a hot day. But it's the middle of winter.

Drinkability: I could see how this would be a good beer to just knock back. Especially in a social situation with people who just like easy to drink beers. It was actually much better than I thought it would be. (1,225 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A - I chose to drink this one from the can since that's a large part of their marketing for their beers. However, I haven't seen anything stating whether or not their intent is for you to pour it into a glass or not. The cans state that they keep a beer fresher, and then talks about recycling, etc... I would assume that the intent to to pour into a proper glass, and let the beer warm up to the proper temperature, though this takes much longer with a can coming out of a fridge. So, I said fuck it, and drank it right out of the can.

S - It smelled very fruity/watermellony(its a word), but almost candy like...very bubbalicious watermelon gum. There was also a "skunky" smell coming off of it that reminded me of imported german lagers or "turned" green bottle lagers.

T - I was surprised by the subtlty of the watermelon flavor, and the utter lack of wheat characteristics. This basically tastes like a macro-lager with a subtle watermelon undertone. I will try it again in a glass and warm it up to see if it opens up a bit. All-in-all, its not a bad beer, its simply unremarkable.

D - It was actually very drinkable... if you're looking for an easy drinking, refreshing macro-lager type beer to down 10 or 15 of at a party, but you still want to feel superior to people slamming natty light, this would work well.

Serving type: 12oz Can, no glass, 40 deg (1,367 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -17.1%

A- This American Wheat has a hazy yellowish appearance with a low- fast dissipating- white head.

S- Faint watermelon, cheap wheat, and yeast fill the air and a underlying funk that is off putting.

T- A very strange and upfront concentrated fruit flavor that taste more like rotten apples than watermelon. It has absolutely no finish- the flavor drops off into a watery tasteless waste of a beer.

M- Low Carbonation and light body gives this brew a easy drinkin award.

Final Thoughts- This American Wheat is not worth buying twice- it's akward flavor is hard to drink let alone 5 more. Keep trying 21 Amendment- it could potentially be a good beer. (652 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -42.8%

A: Unfiltered, golden yellow color. Absolutely no head. Looks like a ton of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: A little bit of soft sour citrus notes, with a touch of watermelon rind. Fresh baked bread aroma also.

T: Tastes kind of like I just bit into the rind of the watermelon. I don’t taste much actual watermelon juice. Its both bitter and sweet, but not in a good way. Finishes pretty clean, and doesn’t leave much flavor to linger.

M: Pretty light/thin feeling beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Not a very good beer. It’s a weird flavor that I didn’t expect and really doesn’t deliver the promised watermelon taste. I find it extremely strange that this beer is one of the best sellers at Winking Lizard. I won’t be buying this beer and will stick to other offerings from 21st Amendment. (812 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +7%

Pours out a nice gold color, small amount of head. Smells like a wheat beer, bit of citrus some watermelon rind? Tastes very light, I can probably drink this all day... watermelon flavor, a bit like watermelon jollyranchers, nice amount of carbonation... definitely refreshing. (277 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%

I gave this one the ultimate test - in was chilling in the fridge while I was cutting my lawn on a humid 88 degree day. Did I mention that I have an old cast iron reel mower?

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange. Quickly fading creamy white head.

S: Sweetness in the nose. Clean.

T: A creamy sweetness upfront with just a kiss of watermelon. The watermelon is spot on - you will expect to be spitting out seeds. A bit of tartness at the end.

M: Creamy in and crisp at the end.

d: Like bitting in to a real watermellon. If it is a hot-ass day, you are going to be all over this beer. The flavor is subtle and not overwhelming, you can have a few of these without the sweetness turning your stomach like some fruit concoctions will.

The wheat base really lends itself well to the watermelon taste.

If you like fruit beer or American wheat beers, you should give this one a go. (877 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +24.5%

A friend of mine made me try this before a Giants game and I really didn't expect to like it. I am not a fan of fruit beers having to deal with Pyramid's apricot ale when the ladies brought the beer. But I have to say that this was very good.

It poured a nice golden color with a bit of a head and a watermellon wedge on the rim of the glass.

It really didn't taste fruity at all, nice and crisp with hints of citrus like all good wheat beers should be and with just a hint of watermellon in the finish.

overall I have to say that the best thing about this beer is how refreshing it was. It was almost like drinking lemonade. Now whenever I head out to Pac Bell to catch the Giants I make sure to stop by the ammendment for a brew. It is a great way to start an evening of baseball. (794 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -46.5%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why. (440 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -18%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with no head.

The aroma is very weak, the wheat comes through but you only catch a faint note of watermelon. After some time the watermelon emerges to be more identifiable. The taste is light and crisp, at which time the watermelon is the star player. Toward the end of drinking the wheat can comes through. Not much of a mouthfeel but really tasty for the summer days. Watermelon is present but not overpowering. It adds to the crispness, offering a little bite.

Recommendable for the summer months. (536 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can.

Ultimately, somewhat depressing. I had one of these last weekend and knew I didn't like it then, but decided to hold off until I had a second one at a later date. Does not smell particularly appetizing.

While there are certainly some mild watermelon notes in there that become even more prominent in aftertaste, there's also a not-entirely-horrible-but-not-altogether-pleasant-either mild tartness and tang and wheaty goodness, and some hint of cucumber. Starts to taste better once it's been out of the fridge a few minutes, but the smell still kills it a bit.

Ultimately when I think about it, I've never had a watermelon wheat before, but this is is probably _exactly what a watermelon wheat beer should taste like_. But when there's so many other outstanding beers out there, this is really a novelty.

It's gonna be tough to polish off the other 4 cans left in my fridge. (899 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +16.8%

A very unique and refreshing brew. You can smell the watermelon right up front, but it doesn't completely shadow the wheat.

The first thing you taste with this one is the watermelon. The finish is a smooth combination of watermelon and wheat. Mild carbonation, a great aftertaste and very drinkable. The watermelon flavor definitely isn't as overpowering or gross as some people have said, or at least it hasn't been in my experience.

This would definitely make a great summer beer, and my lady friends seem to enjoy it. If you know someone who prefers malt beverages or wine coolers, Hell or High Watermelon might be a good way to get them interested in beers. Or, at the least, it'll get them interested in fruit beers. (723 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +36.7%

Appearance: Golden with a light amber/orange color to it. About a 10 SRM. The beer pours nice and strong giving a full inch of head. It lingers for the first few sips but after swirling it has faded away.

Scent: Light aroma, mild tartness coming from the wheat. Slight biscuity notes up front. Underneath the grain is a very mild watermelon smell. Very reminiscent of watermelon candy or watermelon italian ice. Not overpowering in the slightest.

Taste: Right up front you get a bit more of that watermelon flavor, which comes on a little bit stronger than the aroma, but still very mild. It lasts for a few seconds, mingling with the wheat’s tartness before dissipating. As soon as the watermelon fades in comes the biscuit again as the closer to finish it all out.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied. The carbonation isn’t over the top. Short on the tongue.

Overall: Between this and Abita’s Strawberry Harvest, I’m finding more fruit beers that I like. These are not pumped with artificial flavors that overpower the beer. The watermelon in this beer is so subtle that it could easily be overlooked if your not thinking about the flavors. Once you start to really dig into the beer the watermelon comes out of hiding and compliments the wheat very nicely. (1,260 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Light pale wheat beer look, typical for the style

S- Smell of watermelon, hops, slight sour malt

t= Wheat beer with decent carbonation, very slight hops with flavors of watermelon rind

M- Mouthfeel was good, good carbonation

D- Ehh, its 'drinkable' if you like it.

This beer is just not my thing. I waited to review until after I drank all six beers over the last week. Just didnt like it. The watermelon turned me off. I think with out the melon it would probably be a great sessionable wheat beer. It was just to weird for me, but I can see how other people might like this. However it wont discourage me from trying their other styles. (646 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -15%

Pours a deep yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is light and somewhat sweet, little else can be noted.

Taste is sweet, somewhat fruit-like but difficult to taste anything watermelon-like.

Mouthfeel is sweet and quick to go down.

Overall it's a beer that's not noteworthy other than the cool can. (320 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

It poured a milky golden with a reasonably nice head. The smell was a lot less pungent than I had expected, citrusy sweet notes with some of that wheaty body. The taste was...interesting. At first I almost spit it out. I was overwhelmed by the watermelon. But I steadied myself and kept trying it. The taste settled and it actually became rather pleasant. It's a nice drinking beer on a summer day, but nothing to write home about. Unless you're going home for the summer, and need a beer to drink for that. (507 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Very unappealing partially cloudy gray gold. Went immediately flat.
S - Hint of the watermelon, otherwise not a whole lot.
T - Watermelon prevalent at finish, but tastes artificial. As the beer aired and warmed the taste really turned south.
M - Thin, very watery, almost no body.
O - Worst beer I've had in a while. I'd like to say its the watermelon but honestly feel it is just a poor quality beer. (405 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +26.6%

Can't miss the watermelon in this beer. Drank it with a chunk of watermelon in it, too. Very drinkable, light, tasty watermelon, but it's hardly a beer, really. Good for hot sweaty summer days, but I prefer some more body. Nonetheless, it tastes great, just very light. (269 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -18%

Appearance: Yellow-orange in color, creamy and hazy. About an inch of fluffy head forms at the top but quickly dies down to nearly nothing. Doesn’t look overly carbonated. Looks like a typical hef.

Smell: Very sweet and floral, I’m thinking honeysuckle, with some malty grains backing it up.

Taste: More of that floral sweet honeysuckle at first, then comes the watermelon and citrus notes, and finally the malts and bitter hops finish. The watermelon tastes a little artificial and overall the brew is more sour and acidic than I was expecting. I’m not getting much of the cloves/banana etc that I expect from wheat beers, but there is some banana there.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, refreshing going down and easy on the finish. A little bit syrupy consistency.

Overall: Had one of these leftover from summer, and it’s a nice hot day today so figured I’d kill the six-pack. This is probably the only one I poured into a glass to review properly, the rest I drank straight from the can. And I think that’s how these should be enjoyed -- floating down a river or by the beach in a tube with just the can. It’s not a bad summer brew but I think the artificial flavor would turn some people off. My woman didn’t like it and she’s a fan of fruit beers. One of these is great, after two or three I’d probably get tired of the sweet and sourness. (1,369 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a 16 oz. pint glass.

Appearance is a hazy yellowish color. White head that fades quickly.

Aroma- similar to most American wheat beers theres a wheat aroma with a bit of yeasty smell, and a slight undertone of sweetness.

Taste- Pretty similar to what would be expected from the offering. A wheat beer with some watermelon flavor to it. I'm not blown away by the watermelon though, it almost tastes unripe. Not bad, but I had high hopes for this and it was a bit of a let down.

Mouthfeel- Again, good, not great. Not too thick and not too thin. I would like a bit more carbonation.

Drinkability- I could definitely drink a couple of these. I can see the flavor growing on me more after my second or third can.

Overall definitely worth trying. There are far worse fruit wheat beers out there. (825 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a can into my hefeweizen glass. poured a standard cloudy orange/yellow color. can dictates that there is yeast in the can, and i should "agitate" it before pouring. i poured two thirds and felt very weird swirling the rest in a can. whatevs. two finger white head, essentially no head retention, no lacing.

not getting watermelon in the smell, maybe a wheat cereal type smell, maybe a bit of citrus. not much else. tastes akin to a watery wheat beer with the tasteless white part of the watermelon mixed in. there is a slight bit of acidity to be found, but not enough to make things interesting. fairly light bodied for a wheat beer. not my favorite, i'm glad i only bought a single can. (702 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Purchased in a six pack/can from a local bottle shop.

Appearance is typical for a wheat beer: cloudy and off-white/golden.

Watermelon is muted to low appearance. Muted lemon flavor to flat.

Honestly, this beer would probably be better if re-imagined in a Gose style. It lacks the salt-metallic base notes that would bring the watermelon forward in a fresh/true form.

Okay as a wheat beer, but for the price you can purchase a better fruit/wheat beer.

Overall, it stops just short of being refreshing. (506 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -52.9%

Not only is this a terrible wheat beer, it is a bad beer with artificial tasting watermelon flavor in it. I never pour out a beer if I can choke it down. This one got dumped after one painful gulp! Usually I can find something positive in most beers but I am drawing a blank with this one. (289 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +25.7%

A - Pours a clouded golden-yellow, nice effervescence, and a slight head that disappears right away.

S - A gentle, slight aroma. Nothing particular of note.

T - The watermelon does come through. Somebody had mentioned that they thought they could discern watermelon rind, rather than the actual fruit. Interesting, and I could definitely see where they were coming from. Oddly, rind or not, it definitely works nicely.

M - Nice effervescence. Light on the palate.

O - Definitely a nice summer brew. Refreshing, and relatively low on the ABV, allows one to kick a few of back beneath the sun. (595 characters)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery