Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 2,504
4.74/5  rDev +44.1%

I had this beer both in a can and on-tap.

The freshest and most refreshing watermelon beer. It's not fake and its not too sweet. If you're looking for a beer, choose something else. But if you want a watermelon delicious-ness (thats still a beer), buy one.

2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Poured brilliant yellow and fairly clear. The head was about 1/2" thick and off white. As it settled it became slightly cloudy and the head dissipated quickly, down to a thin coating.

S - It smells sweet, fruity, barley any hops are in there. It's almost cloyingly sweet.

T - The taste of melon is up front, followed by the grain and hint of hop in the finish. Then the watermelon comes back. It's not as sweet as it smells. There is an oddly sweet aftertaste.

M - A bit thinner that I expected, but pretty close for the style. The sweet meloniness sticks to the tongue.

D - This one is not exactly in my wheel house, but those that like sweet wheat's, this may be OK. I think I will only have one. Certainly not my favorite offering from 21A

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Can't say I've tried a watermelon brew before, love wheat beers though so giving this one a shot. Small head, poor retention. Good beer to try once.... Wouldn't wanna drink more than one or two of these in a sitting. Not my favorite by any means, but nice crisp refreshing taste and an interesting watermelon bite. Glad I tried it, but definitely not rushing back to the shelf for more.

3.97/5  rDev +20.7%

Sampled at the 21st Amendment is SF.

This is a really interesting beer. Presentation was cheesy - in a weizenglass with a slice of watermelon garnishing the lip of the glass. Still, the tropical feeling was welcome and while gimmicky, it was also creative.

Beer was a hazy straw color with a fizzy white head.

Tastes and smells remarkably like watermelon. I think they nailed this one. Delightfully refreshing and went great with 21st's delicious pizza. In my experience, fruit beers tend not to make the best session beers, and this one is no exception. For me, drinkability was hampered by the uniqueness of the taste - one was enough.

Really an ideal beer to pick up in cans. Perfect for the beach!

4.14/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a perfect summer beer, and I feel that the Beer Advocate rating does not do justice to this sweet wheat. The first sip is a nice wheat beer, and there is a cumulative watermelon that gradually grows in your mouth. I could drink this beer all day sitting outside on a wharf on the beach. Delicious.

4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

i was skeptical about the can...turned out to be pretty good...

poured a mildly hazy gold color.
the head was fluffy and stayed throughout.
scent of grain and watermelon and fruit
taste is the same, much more pronounced, some light strawberry flavor also. very nice.
solid wheat beer mouthfeel.
very drinkable. i put back 5 cans and didn't flinch.

1.8/5  rDev -45.3%

What was I thinking? Was I lured in by the packaging? Beer pours with a weak head which dissipates quickly. If it wasn't for the yellow haze, not much would indicate this is a wheat beer. Smell is slightly green. Taste is where this beer really lets down.. I was hoping for some complexity, but this beer tastes like Miller Lite that's been strained through cooked broccoli. If there is any "watermelon" flavor, it's purely rind.. blech! Don't know if I expected this to be sweeter or more inventive, but it's none of these things. Shame because with its light body, if it didn't taste so bad it would be an easy session brew.

I can't believe I still have four left.. ugh.

3.42/5  rDev +4%

Fizzy head over hazy orange body that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Smells of watermelon (both real and artificial), captain crunch with crunch berries, granola, pear, and a little lemony-thyme bitterness.

Nose confirms taste.

Mouthfeels is good, maybe a little heavy for a summer lawnmower beer.

This is so much better than last year's can that I had. The cooked vegetable isn't even a memory. I would like this to have a little more interesting hop profile - just a bit of nobles, maybe. But for what it is I'm very impressed.

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ordered this to try it since I've read quite a bit about it. Was expecting it to taste like a wine cooler and was pleasantly surprised at the subtlety of the watermelon. I other than that, it's a typical non-offensive wheat beer, but I could definitely see drinking a few in the right setting: at the beach, at a picnic, etc.

1.9/5  rDev -42.2%

-Pours to a light yellow color slightly darker than a lite beer.
-The smell is all watermelon. A hint of wheat or a bready smell but way too much watermelon.
-I am sad to say the taste is bad. Its more than slightly tart with a poor watermelon flavor. Leaves a bad aftertaste.
- Way too light on the carbonation, like a flat lite beer, causing the bitterness to really stand out.
- This beer was one of the firstbeers that I just could not finish. I likened itto drinkingbaby vomit. At no point in life did anyone ata BBQ say, "Hey, I'm eating watermelon, I'm drinking beer, boy would they go good together." Beer and watermelon, two great tastes that DO NOT go great together.

2.26/5  rDev -31.3%

Had this on tap whilst visiting the area.

It looks like a hefeweizen, cloudy golden in color with a frothy white head. Leaves a small lacing though.

The scent surprisingly does not contain a whole lot of watermelon. It's an off putting scent that does not exactly encourage you to drink it. Mostly malty aroma with the very subtle hint of watermelon

Taste wise, wow. Not good at all. I was very much looking to try this and was quite disappointed. It tasted malty and very vegetable in its taste. Rather than tasting the sweet juicy part of the watermelon your subjected to tasting the inner lighter in color near the rind part.

All that being said it felt quite nice on the palate with good levels of carbonation.

Not drinkable at all due to the fact that the it's not a good tasting brew.

2.97/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours out a nice yellow in color maybe a little darker than yellow but pretty close. Definitely a healthy two-finger white head with decent retention but really nice lacing.

Smell is pretty mellow with not much in the nose at all. Maybe a little sweet malts and that's about all I get.

Taste is quite different. There is a TINY bit of watermelon but I would not have guessed it if I didn't see the name. The backbone is sorta there but there really isn't much to this beer.

Mouthfeel is basically what I would expect from a wheat beer like this as it is quite thin.

Overall this is just not the beer I expected. It's not a decent wheat beer and I really only get a TINY bit of anything resembling watermelon or fruit. That being said it's not a bad beer but it isn't much better than a bud or something. I would not recommend this beer as it was a total letdown.

3.41/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Hazy golden straw color. Half a thumb of head with little to no lacing. The head fizzles down very quickly.
S: Slight watermelon tint with a light wheat aroma. Almost off putting.
T: My first sip was quite the surprise. It grew on me quick. A wheat flavor first hits the tongue ,but it is eventually overtaken by an artificial tart watermelon flavor.
M: At first it is a pleasant amount of carbonation to compliment the drink. As it sits it very quickly goes flat. Clean light watermelon finish.
Overall: I came to enjoy this beer. Don't plan to cuddle with it as it will go flat quick. This would be a nice beer to have on a summer day. A little pat on the back. Worth a try if you like lighter beer.

2.52/5  rDev -23.4%

We just had 21st amendment brewery become available here in Georgia; I really liked their IPA and figured I would give this one a try it being summer. Pours a watery yellow with very little yeast though the can was agitated per instructions. White head disappears almost immediately. Smell is rather sour and has hints of not so fresh vegetable matter. Taste is pretty much the same. I hope this is a bad batch because this, to me, is undrinkable.

2.87/5  rDev -12.8%

A: slightly hazy light straw. good inch and a half of fine-grained white head, supported by strong carbonation.

S: vegetal. melon. no strong hops. melon coming through a bit stronger.

T: creamy, watery, biscuty wheat with unidentifiable melon notes. the melon does cross over from "watermelon" to "cantalope" a bit; not desireable.

M: fine.

D: medium. The taste and novelty just wear out after a while. Had this been colder, or had I more of a thirst for a light refreshing beverage, it might work. On a hot summer day, maybe; on this cool fall day, not so much.

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. It is a nice golden hue and slightly cloudy a very nice colored wheat. The head was gone within a minute almost as fast as a MGD.

Aroma is wheat and malt and sour watermelon like the wheat and malt not so much the melon. It reminds me of a jolly rancher.

Found the taste rather bland. The hint of watermelon is not that pleasant.

I found the mouthfeel a little flat could use more carbonation.

Kind of an average beer.

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks Nick of ThreeWiseMen for letting me try this. I'm pretty much expecting this to be a novelty.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color with a good amount of head and lacing. About what I would expect from a wheat beer.

Smell: It's hard to say if I like the smell or hate it. There's definitely wheat and yeast in there, but after that the smell is just strange. The watermelon smell is not very pleasant. It kind of smells like watermelon that has been sitting in the sun for a few days. But I guess that should be expected - it's fermented watermelon!

Taste: Almost seems like they were trying too hard to make it known that "hey! we put watermelon in our beer!" The watermelon is definitely the dominant taste with wheat making a cameo appearance and everything else is really toned down. That being said, I don't think the taste is horrible. It's just... interesting.

Mouthfeel: Grainy, watery, medium carbonation. I could see how this might be refreshing on a hot day. But it's the middle of winter.

Drinkability: I could see how this would be a good beer to just knock back. Especially in a social situation with people who just like easy to drink beers. It was actually much better than I thought it would be.

2.93/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A - I chose to drink this one from the can since that's a large part of their marketing for their beers. However, I haven't seen anything stating whether or not their intent is for you to pour it into a glass or not. The cans state that they keep a beer fresher, and then talks about recycling, etc... I would assume that the intent to to pour into a proper glass, and let the beer warm up to the proper temperature, though this takes much longer with a can coming out of a fridge. So, I said fuck it, and drank it right out of the can.

S - It smelled very fruity/watermellony(its a word), but almost candy like...very bubbalicious watermelon gum. There was also a "skunky" smell coming off of it that reminded me of imported german lagers or "turned" green bottle lagers.

T - I was surprised by the subtlty of the watermelon flavor, and the utter lack of wheat characteristics. This basically tastes like a macro-lager with a subtle watermelon undertone. I will try it again in a glass and warm it up to see if it opens up a bit. All-in-all, its not a bad beer, its simply unremarkable.

D - It was actually very drinkable... if you're looking for an easy drinking, refreshing macro-lager type beer to down 10 or 15 of at a party, but you still want to feel superior to people slamming natty light, this would work well.

Serving type: 12oz Can, no glass, 40 deg

2.71/5  rDev -17.6%

A- This American Wheat has a hazy yellowish appearance with a low- fast dissipating- white head.

S- Faint watermelon, cheap wheat, and yeast fill the air and a underlying funk that is off putting.

T- A very strange and upfront concentrated fruit flavor that taste more like rotten apples than watermelon. It has absolutely no finish- the flavor drops off into a watery tasteless waste of a beer.

M- Low Carbonation and light body gives this brew a easy drinkin award.

Final Thoughts- This American Wheat is not worth buying twice- it's akward flavor is hard to drink let alone 5 more. Keep trying 21 Amendment- it could potentially be a good beer.

1.87/5  rDev -43.2%

A: Unfiltered, golden yellow color. Absolutely no head. Looks like a ton of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: A little bit of soft sour citrus notes, with a touch of watermelon rind. Fresh baked bread aroma also.

T: Tastes kind of like I just bit into the rind of the watermelon. I don’t taste much actual watermelon juice. Its both bitter and sweet, but not in a good way. Finishes pretty clean, and doesn’t leave much flavor to linger.

M: Pretty light/thin feeling beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Not a very good beer. It’s a weird flavor that I didn’t expect and really doesn’t deliver the promised watermelon taste. I find it extremely strange that this beer is one of the best sellers at Winking Lizard. I won’t be buying this beer and will stick to other offerings from 21st Amendment.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours out a nice gold color, small amount of head. Smells like a wheat beer, bit of citrus some watermelon rind? Tastes very light, I can probably drink this all day... watermelon flavor, a bit like watermelon jollyranchers, nice amount of carbonation... definitely refreshing.

3.94/5  rDev +19.8%

I gave this one the ultimate test - in was chilling in the fridge while I was cutting my lawn on a humid 88 degree day. Did I mention that I have an old cast iron reel mower?

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange. Quickly fading creamy white head.

S: Sweetness in the nose. Clean.

T: A creamy sweetness upfront with just a kiss of watermelon. The watermelon is spot on - you will expect to be spitting out seeds. A bit of tartness at the end.

M: Creamy in and crisp at the end.

d: Like bitting in to a real watermellon. If it is a hot-ass day, you are going to be all over this beer. The flavor is subtle and not overwhelming, you can have a few of these without the sweetness turning your stomach like some fruit concoctions will.

The wheat base really lends itself well to the watermelon taste.

If you like fruit beer or American wheat beers, you should give this one a go.

4.07/5  rDev +23.7%

A friend of mine made me try this before a Giants game and I really didn't expect to like it. I am not a fan of fruit beers having to deal with Pyramid's apricot ale when the ladies brought the beer. But I have to say that this was very good.

It poured a nice golden color with a bit of a head and a watermellon wedge on the rim of the glass.

It really didn't taste fruity at all, nice and crisp with hints of citrus like all good wheat beers should be and with just a hint of watermellon in the finish.

overall I have to say that the best thing about this beer is how refreshing it was. It was almost like drinking lemonade. Now whenever I head out to Pac Bell to catch the Giants I make sure to stop by the ammendment for a brew. It is a great way to start an evening of baseball.

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

I was expecting alot from this one as I've heard good things about 21st Amendment. Guess I was expecting too much. Looked like a really good wheat beer in appearance, and the mouthfeel was pretty good, but that taste of watermelon was truly awful. I know some people like fruit with their beer, bur watermelon is NOT a good mix. Truly a disappointment. Glad I didn't stock up when I saw this on sale for $5 a six pack. Maybe now I know why.

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with no head.

The aroma is very weak, the wheat comes through but you only catch a faint note of watermelon. After some time the watermelon emerges to be more identifiable. The taste is light and crisp, at which time the watermelon is the star player. Toward the end of drinking the wheat can comes through. Not much of a mouthfeel but really tasty for the summer days. Watermelon is present but not overpowering. It adds to the crispness, offering a little bite.

Recommendable for the summer months.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery