Hop Crisis - 21st Amendment Brewery

Beer added by: sloejams on 04-08-2008

to view more.
Ratings: 1,383 | Reviews: 445
4.02/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From can but 6 months past exp date. Don't think it affected taste too much. Very easy drinking double but no too strong in flavor. High ABV not very noticeable. Flavors were good, malt hop citrusy mix was easy in the mouth. Would really like to get this fresh next time.

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I love hoppy Imperial IPAs and I love malty barleywines. I especially love IPAs that can balance the hops and the malt so that they're both present and apparent, but they play nicely together. That's Hop Crisis. Half IIPA; half barleywine - just about perfect. I found it when I was out of town and only bought a single can to give it a try. Now I'm the one having the hop crisis. How am I going to get more of this great stuff???

4.66/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite beer from this brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oak is too strong and contrasts with the hops. Malty like a barleywine.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Wow this is really good. citrus notes an aromatic s.the bitterness is there but underlying in the background. I don't recall seeing this but I am glad I bumped into it.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

This has officially become one of my favorite double IPAs. Big tropical fruits on the nose like pineapple, peach, orange/tangerine, mango, a little oak, dash of vanilla and booze. Yeah, this is gonna be a big beer. Poured golden with a fluffy white head, excellent retention. The color surprised me, it looked like a light bodied beer and it drank like one too, dangerously easy drinking is how I'd describe it. The big hop bitterness is well balanced by the malts and oak aging. Those fruits are present as well as subtle vanilla coming off the oak, that was very nice. It was a little boozy, but that didn't detract from it for me. I'll be having this again and I wish they would make it available year round.

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

At first I didn't think this beer was going to be all that great but wow, I was impressed. The hops and so forth are pretty basic but what I loved about it was the woodiness smell and taste. It really sweetened it up and ended up being pretty good.

12 oz. can poured into a Burley Oak snifter (enjoy by 10/11/14)

A: Not much of a head on the swirl, but a decent one on the pour. Recedes quickly and only leaves a bit of lacing.
S: Nice down-to-earth malty hop smell, that is singular but strong and hoppy.
T: This is a damn good
M: Unbelievably smooth with just a whisper of carbonation.
O: My AL EAST O's beer, and what a good one. A great IPA for a great time.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Nose: rich hops with resin, pine and citrus, malt sweetness, caramel notes, alcohol
Rich gold with a slight protein haze under a pillowy persistent white 3" foam cap. Lacy with legs.
Begins with malt flavors, sweetness, white bread, slight caramel, vanilla that give way to citrusy hops that evoke lemon and orange with a slightly drying finish.
Good balance between malt, hops and alcohol.
Smooth, creamy, medium full body, very soft medium low carbonation.
Drink instead of a gin and tonic.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

This is definitely a DIPA, but not the best of the lot, but, what can you expect for less than $4. Which is what I picked this single up for. I have had several beers from this brewery, but I will have to admit, they are only O.K. I have had worse I have had better, I guess they have hit the sweet spot in price and quality, but the quality suffers a bit, I personally would rather have a better beer and pay a bit more.

Color: Straw yellow, clear.

Smell: Not as much hops as you would like, but its still not bad. I just prefer a more robust hop presence. This one had too much maltiness going on.

Taste: Same as in aroma.

Overall: Not a bad DIPA, but not spectacular.

Hazy golden our with a white head and great lacing. Floral, pine aromas with a nice malt backbone that ends dry, crisp and bitter.

Poured from a 12oz can (multiple cans consumed b/w 7/13/14 & 8/30/14, Best By Date: 10/11/14) into a Rastal Teku 2.0 stemmed glass

A- Pours a slightly hazy, golden yellow with a 1+ finger worth of a soapy white head with moderate retention. Being a fan of light-hued DIPA's, this a benchmark for the style and joins the ranks with other highly respected offerings in Enjoy By IPA and Founders Double Trouble. (5.0)

S- Being that another oak-aged IPA in Burton Baton stands to be my favorite of all time (simply due to availability), Hop Crisis does not disappoint. Vanilla and coconut from the oak is at the forefront and blends beautifully with the hoppy notes of citrus (orange, tangerine, grapefruit) and tropical fruits (pineapple and mango). (5.0)

T- Vanilla and coconut are the first to strike followed by a a quick shot of malt sweetness. However, the hops never play second fiddle and end up engulfing the palate into a dry citrus rind and piney finish. The 9.7% ABV (as labeled) goes absolutely undetectable thanks to the modest malt bill and a low percentage of residual unfermentable sugars. (5.0)

M- The labeled 94 IBU's are tamed by the silky texture imparted from the oak spirals. Despite the 9.7% ABV, the body is as light as its appearance, treading the cusp between heavy/light bodied and light/medium bodied. (5.0)

O- Simply put, this is perfection...and perfection in a can! Although I've had this before, I have been remiss in composing a proper review for Hop Crisis. Despite nearly a year passing since my last can, this is everything I remember (and perhaps even more). It possesses every quality of a world class DIPA (appearance, aroma, flavor, mouthfeel, high drinkability)...then add to that the time on oak spirals is what sets this one apart from the ranks. If it were more readily available, this would trumpet Burton Baton as my favorite DIPA (if not beers) of all time. Heady Topper...what's that?! (5.0)

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured a light golden body with two finger head and lace ring.
Hoppy aroma that is citrusy but not too powerful with tiny bits of sweet malt.
A lot of hops in this one with a citric flavor but there is also some smooth oakiness in this beer and the hops are balanced with touches of sweet malt and possible grapefruit.
Pretty solid DIPA that was better than expected.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Since this is the last Hop Crisis I'll be able to enjoy for a while, I thought I'd give it a proper review.

I first had this beauty at Olga's in Coudersport, PA on a steamy, August night. The first taste made me fall in love with it, and I couldn't wait to get back to State College to get a 4-pack. I did just that, but sadly, it was the last one on the shelf at my local Wegman's. At least for the foreseeable future.

Appearance: A lovely, hazy golden hue. After a smooth pour, the lacing is still present after about 10 minutes. The head wears off shortly.

Smell: Citrus, piney aroma. I just can't stop smelling it.

Taste: Just like all the others I've had, this sample of Hop Crisis is just delicious. It has plenty of hops and citrus flavor. Call me crazy, but I detect a very slight sweet flavor, like bubble gum.

Feel: Bright and crisp, but with a slight density.

Overall: I'm not sure what time of year this IPA is released, but I can't wait. This is going to be one of those beers that I'm going to buy in bulk and store in my fridge while I wait for its return. Simply enough, this beer is wonderful.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

A: mostly yellow with a tint of orange. Medium, light foamy white head.
S: tangerine. Sweet candy. Orange.
T: sweet maltiness. Citrus, flower and bitter orange peel.
M: medium carbonation. Medium-high body.
O: pretty good double IPA. Not stellar, but good. Would buy again.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer is everything a hoppy beer should taste like

3.84/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy straw color with a finger of head that enjoyed good retention. The nose has some hoppy notes but not a potent as I would expect in a DIPA. The malt is a but muted and, as a result, the hoppiness really stands out. There is also a touch of alcohol in the finish that got more intrusive as this offering warmed.

This is a good beer but really reminds me of a poor man’s Dirt Wolf.

3.86/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy light gold; way lighter than I was expecting. Half finger white head that sort of quickly fades away. Just a scant hint of lacing left on the sides of the glass. The lightness of the beer is quite surprising.

Aroma has hints of wood letting you know this is oak aged along with some overripe fruit such as pineapple and kiwi. A touch of caramel thrown in there as well. It is definitely English IPA-smelling.

Flavor of mild oak throughout combined with pineapple, orange, and just the faintest touch of pine. There is considerable maltiness that is predominantly caramel but the sweetness remains restrained. The flavor profile is more English than American with the oak just adding an additional layer of complexity making this one interesting. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden and it isn't too sweet.

Overall, a good beer but not Earth-shattering by any means. I like the character imparted by the oak but really it is just a bit boring overall.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding DIPA.

Strong resemblance to Myrcenary, a favorite of mine.

Very well-balanced DIPA, nice hazy light golden color on pour, great meringue-like head, 3-4 cm, nice lacing.

Taste a perfect mix of hops, grapefruit, hint of pine and earthiness mixed with malty sweetness, but the hop finish is well pronounced and provides a solid finish without being overly bitter.

Not at all boozy - nowhere near tastes like it's 9.7%.

Overall, this has rapidly risen to my must have list. Not very "west-coast-ish" - more "east-coast-ish." Highly enjoyable and drinkable DIPA.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

I lived 10 years a block from this brewer, a good friend is an investor, and I love their work. But, as solid as this is, it's not as good as the DIPA from my home town.

All the same: A must try and a great place to visit.

a - Pours a clear apricot amber with 2 fingers of fluffy white head, lots carbonation, and lots of lacing.

s - Smell is too subtle! What's here is of hops pine and citrus hops, tropical fruit, malts, and a bit of alcohol.

t - Taste follows smell. Hops forward! It's puckering as it zings your palate with pine and citrus hops, resiny, sweet malts, and tropical fruits. Long, heavy, peppery, zingy finish.

m - Clean finish. Nice feel! Medium bodied DIPA w low carbonation. Much bitterness, long finish, and pretty easy to drink. A bit too strong though for me.

o - Great mouth feel. SOMA San Francisco must enjoy this great, and growing, home town brewer.

3.59/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a Russian River Belgian-style stemmed glass. Clear gold color with a big fluffy white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Didn't get much lacing as I drank it down.
Honey sweetness on the nose with oak and citrus fruit notes
Beer warmed quickly (since I'm sitting in a 90 degree apartment)
Very high bitterness, and not much masking of the alcohol right away. Both linger quite a while. Tasting the oak, honey, and citrus I was getting on the nose. Not much complexity, just pretty straightforward hoppy bitterness.
Average carbonation. Makes the sides and back of my tongue want to curl in.
I like this beer. Wouldn't call it a top tear Imperial IPA, but a very enjoyable beer.

3.85/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 12 oz can into a nonic pint glass, golden amber colored with a short thick white head that lingers leaving some lacing, clear

S: heavy on citrus and fruit hop scents, slightly sweet, grapefruit, pineapple, honey

T: very sweet up front, fades into a warming alcohol fruit sweetness, papaya, pineapple, guava, honey, very sweet finish, hop bitterness is restrained, oak wood flavor comes through after a few sips

M: heavy and sticky, alcohol present

O: Sweetest example of the style I've had to date, fruit heavy on flavors and malt sweetness

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

can into a pint glass. Enjoy by 10/11/14.

Looking very nice after a somewhat agressive pour. Clear golden yellow with a thin white head. light carbonation, with some decent lacing.

Only getting a faint wiff of hops on the nose, and a syrupy sweetness.

A wash of bitterness throughout the mouth. Alcohol burn in the back of the throat (9.7). slightly syrupy sweetness, which cleansed out the bitterness. Was getting a touch of the wood on the front of the tongue. Not unpleasant....just overall not quite what I expected. Seemed unbalanced toward the malt end.

Mouth was a little above medium, due to the syrup.

One of those more difficult beers to review in that it was quite a pleasant slow drink over about an hour, just didn't seem to be the beer advertized on the can. Age not an issue as due by date is 3 months off. Would likely try again to see if this was just an of night or can.

4.31/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a light clear golden color similar to a pale ale or lager.

I could smell the aroma just from the pour.
Citrus,mostly tropical fruit, some vanilla and very different than other double IPAs.

The mouth feel is relatively smooth for an American double, it's not very carbonated, although I did see carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass.

The taste is excellent, a distinctive tropical, fruit and very different than other West Coast double IPAs.

The finish is hoppy but not overwhelming like a Stone brewery finish.

Overall, very different double IPA. The fruit is different in this double IPA, smoother drinking and worthwhile checking out.

Poured from a 12oz can best by 10/11/14 into a tulip
A: Pours a gold color with a solid 1+ finger head
S: Grain, caramel, orange and a hint of oak
T: Full of grains up front then citrus/pine come through on the finish
M: Fairly full bodied; viscous but not hot
O: Doesn't just hit you in the face with hops but they're definitely there, more on the palate than nose. Overall quite tasty and the alcohol is hidden; recommended overall

to view more.