Hop Crisis - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hop CrisisHop Crisis

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: sloejams on 04-08-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Crisis Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,416 | Reviews: 456
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Super hoppy but balanced. For a big beer surprisingly easy drinking. Different take on the imperial IPA from the Road Warrior. Thanks

4.05/5  rDev +2%

A: Pours a golden color with 2 fingers of head that fade down to a thin ring of lace

S: Juicy, citrusy hops up front along with hints of the oak spirals and some pine. Some fruity alcohol in there as well. Definitely hop forward

T: Follows the nose. Juicy hops come out first, with notes of citrus and pine. The oak is lighter in the taste, but does provide some of the classic oakiness. Malts are mostly on the caramel side and provide a nice balance to the hops, although the hops are still very bitter. Finishes with lingering bitterness and some fruitiness

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A very nice, hop-forward DIPA with a good oak twist. The 9.7% flies under the radar and can really sneak up on you quite quickly if you aren't prepared. Great for those who love bitter DIPAs that keep some semblance of juiciness

4.09/5  rDev +3%

On tap, 16 oz. Glass. Nice head, quickly down to moderate lacing. Grapefruit and tropical taste. Very smoth for the APV. Worth having again.

4.17/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by: 10/9/15.

Pours a hazy golden-orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus fruit, citrus zest, grapefruit juice, and tropical fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest, grapefruit juice, and tropical fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with great citrus and tropical hop characteristics, but I am not getting any wood qualities from the oak spirals in either the smell or taste.

Serving type: can.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Love the smell as the can opened, but too much alcohol warmth as it warmed.

really nice DIPA easy drinking and balanced with oaky sweet boozy characters

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

one of my favorite imperials when fresh.

2.47/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

To malty and to much vanilla from the oak very sweet should not be labeled an ipa does hide the booze well but not the best

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Very vanilla sweet IPA. Tastes of honey. Nice 9.7% ABV

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great beer, doesn't drink like an Imperial. Best offering I've had from them. Recommend for sure.

Hoppy. Deadly alcohol content (in a good way).

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From can but 6 months past exp date. Don't think it affected taste too much. Very easy drinking double but no too strong in flavor. High ABV not very noticeable. Flavors were good, malt hop citrusy mix was easy in the mouth. Would really like to get this fresh next time.

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I love hoppy Imperial IPAs and I love malty barleywines. I especially love IPAs that can balance the hops and the malt so that they're both present and apparent, but they play nicely together. That's Hop Crisis. Half IIPA; half barleywine - just about perfect. I found it when I was out of town and only bought a single can to give it a try. Now I'm the one having the hop crisis. How am I going to get more of this great stuff???

4.66/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite beer from this brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oak is too strong and contrasts with the hops. Malty like a barleywine.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Wow this is really good. citrus notes an aromatic s.the bitterness is there but underlying in the background. I don't recall seeing this but I am glad I bumped into it.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

This has officially become one of my favorite double IPAs. Big tropical fruits on the nose like pineapple, peach, orange/tangerine, mango, a little oak, dash of vanilla and booze. Yeah, this is gonna be a big beer. Poured golden with a fluffy white head, excellent retention. The color surprised me, it looked like a light bodied beer and it drank like one too, dangerously easy drinking is how I'd describe it. The big hop bitterness is well balanced by the malts and oak aging. Those fruits are present as well as subtle vanilla coming off the oak, that was very nice. It was a little boozy, but that didn't detract from it for me. I'll be having this again and I wish they would make it available year round.

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

At first I didn't think this beer was going to be all that great but wow, I was impressed. The hops and so forth are pretty basic but what I loved about it was the woodiness smell and taste. It really sweetened it up and ended up being pretty good.

12 oz. can poured into a Burley Oak snifter (enjoy by 10/11/14)

A: Not much of a head on the swirl, but a decent one on the pour. Recedes quickly and only leaves a bit of lacing.
S: Nice down-to-earth malty hop smell, that is singular but strong and hoppy.
T: This is a damn good
M: Unbelievably smooth with just a whisper of carbonation.
O: My AL EAST O's beer, and what a good one. A great IPA for a great time.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Nose: rich hops with resin, pine and citrus, malt sweetness, caramel notes, alcohol
Rich gold with a slight protein haze under a pillowy persistent white 3" foam cap. Lacy with legs.
Begins with malt flavors, sweetness, white bread, slight caramel, vanilla that give way to citrusy hops that evoke lemon and orange with a slightly drying finish.
Good balance between malt, hops and alcohol.
Smooth, creamy, medium full body, very soft medium low carbonation.
Drink instead of a gin and tonic.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

This is definitely a DIPA, but not the best of the lot, but, what can you expect for less than $4. Which is what I picked this single up for. I have had several beers from this brewery, but I will have to admit, they are only O.K. I have had worse I have had better, I guess they have hit the sweet spot in price and quality, but the quality suffers a bit, I personally would rather have a better beer and pay a bit more.

Color: Straw yellow, clear.

Smell: Not as much hops as you would like, but its still not bad. I just prefer a more robust hop presence. This one had too much maltiness going on.

Taste: Same as in aroma.

Overall: Not a bad DIPA, but not spectacular.

Hazy golden our with a white head and great lacing. Floral, pine aromas with a nice malt backbone that ends dry, crisp and bitter.

Poured from a 12oz can (multiple cans consumed b/w 7/13/14 & 8/30/14, Best By Date: 10/11/14) into a Rastal Teku 2.0 stemmed glass

A- Pours a slightly hazy, golden yellow with a 1+ finger worth of a soapy white head with moderate retention. Being a fan of light-hued DIPA's, this a benchmark for the style and joins the ranks with other highly respected offerings in Enjoy By IPA and Founders Double Trouble. (5.0)

S- Being that another oak-aged IPA in Burton Baton stands to be my favorite of all time (simply due to availability), Hop Crisis does not disappoint. Vanilla and coconut from the oak is at the forefront and blends beautifully with the hoppy notes of citrus (orange, tangerine, grapefruit) and tropical fruits (pineapple and mango). (5.0)

T- Vanilla and coconut are the first to strike followed by a a quick shot of malt sweetness. However, the hops never play second fiddle and end up engulfing the palate into a dry citrus rind and piney finish. The 9.7% ABV (as labeled) goes absolutely undetectable thanks to the modest malt bill and a low percentage of residual unfermentable sugars. (5.0)

M- The labeled 94 IBU's are tamed by the silky texture imparted from the oak spirals. Despite the 9.7% ABV, the body is as light as its appearance, treading the cusp between heavy/light bodied and light/medium bodied. (5.0)

O- Simply put, this is perfection...and perfection in a can! Although I've had this before, I have been remiss in composing a proper review for Hop Crisis. Despite nearly a year passing since my last can, this is everything I remember (and perhaps even more). It possesses every quality of a world class DIPA (appearance, aroma, flavor, mouthfeel, high drinkability)...then add to that the time on oak spirals is what sets this one apart from the ranks. If it were more readily available, this would trumpet Burton Baton as my favorite DIPA (if not beers) of all time. Heady Topper...what's that?! (5.0)

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured a light golden body with two finger head and lace ring.
Hoppy aroma that is citrusy but not too powerful with tiny bits of sweet malt.
A lot of hops in this one with a citric flavor but there is also some smooth oakiness in this beer and the hops are balanced with touches of sweet malt and possible grapefruit.
Pretty solid DIPA that was better than expected.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Since this is the last Hop Crisis I'll be able to enjoy for a while, I thought I'd give it a proper review.

I first had this beauty at Olga's in Coudersport, PA on a steamy, August night. The first taste made me fall in love with it, and I couldn't wait to get back to State College to get a 4-pack. I did just that, but sadly, it was the last one on the shelf at my local Wegman's. At least for the foreseeable future.

Appearance: A lovely, hazy golden hue. After a smooth pour, the lacing is still present after about 10 minutes. The head wears off shortly.

Smell: Citrus, piney aroma. I just can't stop smelling it.

Taste: Just like all the others I've had, this sample of Hop Crisis is just delicious. It has plenty of hops and citrus flavor. Call me crazy, but I detect a very slight sweet flavor, like bubble gum.

Feel: Bright and crisp, but with a slight density.

Overall: I'm not sure what time of year this IPA is released, but I can't wait. This is going to be one of those beers that I'm going to buy in bulk and store in my fridge while I wait for its return. Simply enough, this beer is wonderful.

Hop Crisis from 21st Amendment Brewery