Hop Crisis - 21st Amendment Brewery

Hop CrisisHop Crisis

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: sloejams on 04-08-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Crisis Alström Bros

rwilde, Nov 20, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

A - Pours a medium gold color with a thick, creamy, foamy layer of head sits, stays, and doesn't subside!

S - WEAK nose for a 9+% beer. Very light malt, mildly earthy, and smells pretty much like flavored water to me. (sorry to say)

T - Sweet crackery caramel malt up front, miniml hop character, maybe a little lemon rind, grapefruit, and oranges (and I'm really digging for that description).

M - Smooth and creamy but feels totally DEAD on the tongue.

O - I'd love to give this beer another opportunity with a fresher batch because I can detect it's potential.

jzeilinger, Nov 20, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

rab53, Nov 20, 2011

DoctorB2B, Nov 19, 2011

Right off the bat, I knew something was different about this beer. I could smell a sweetness as I was pouring the beer, and I was quite excited for the first sip. I was a little disappointing at first, but then as the beer warmed up just a little, all the subtle flavors just popped. There was an awesome hop presences in the beer that was perfectly complimented with the strong oak flavor. Quite a fantastic beer, and one I'd highly recommended to everyone.

Kranders, Nov 19, 2011

horrorspecialty, Nov 16, 2011

thearsenal, Nov 16, 2011

jenray, Nov 16, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

12oz can into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one and a half inch, fluffy white head that dissipates slowly, leaving a few rings of lacing. Pours a crystal clear gold, and leaves lots of arches and spots of lacing. Very nice.

Smell: Burst of hops when I open the can. In the glass it smells like pine, apricot, some pineapple / tropical fruit, with cracker-like malt underneath. Hint of vanilla oak, possibly placebo.

Good smell. The hops are a bit "messy" and blur together eventually, but the booze and different malt aromas really invigorate the smell. Solid 4.0 here.

Taste: Lots of citrus and fruity hops up front, then a very prominent malt backbone threatens to take over entirely. Sugary and slightly biscuity. Creamy impression, augmented by mild oaky highlights (the advertised oak is a very minor player in the taste).

Not half bad. the advertised 94 IBU sounds about right; assertive bitterness does a good job keeping all that malt in check. My only complaint is that, while there's some nice pine, orange, tropical fruit hop flavors, the hops are pretty subdued and indistinct on the whole. I would like to taste them more. I don't mind that it's so malty, but I wish the hop aspect had a cleaner flavor. Still, solid DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Juicy and smooth, somewhat creamy. Good carbonation. Personally, I would like a dryer finish.

Overall: Good beer. Not amazing, but not half bad. A bit underattenuated for me, but I'm beginning to realize that almost all DIPAs are "underattenuated for me."

Would like more oak and more distinct hops, and it's just a bit too sweet for me even despite the high bitterness, but this beer is enjoyable enough. Don't think I'd pick up another 4pack, but I can see grabbing it on tap once in awhile, if I ever see it.

Pahn, Nov 16, 2011