1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Back In Black - 21st Amendment Brewery

Back In BlackBack In Black

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.80% ABV

ABV varies around 7%.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 11-23-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Back In Black Alström Bros

dsn1600, Jun 06, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz can.

A: Didn't have a glass :(

S: Hard to smell it through the wide-mouth!

T: Roasty with a great 'hint' of the hops. I was expecting more hops but the malt breaks through more - I like darks so I was good.

M: Smooth and a bit creamy (it is straight from the can).

D: If you prefer darks but are a closet hophead you'll dig this. I love the style (best of both worlds for me) and found this to be a tad bit more on the malty side with a great hop finish...

I really like the can too - pretty cool!

ardeano, Jan 14, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

cwj14, Jan 08, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

LauraHorn, Jun 20, 2014
2.08/5  rDev -43.6%

I'm amazed by the positive reviews of this beer. Was my first Black IPA and probably my last.

A few other beer friends and I poured it into a pint glass and watched the head dwindle quickly into a somewhat thin bodied beer with lots of little carb.

On the nose it was sweet and somewhat hoppy.

The flavor killed it for me. I've never tasted such an improperly balanced beer in my life and those with me agreed, that while the flavor itself may have been good there was no balance. It was metallic and brittle in mouthfeel.

This was a drainpour after it got passed around 4 people.

Matthewislee, Jun 30, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from, awesome, 12oz can to pint glass.

Dark brown in color, around 25 or 26 SRM. Has nice amber hues in the light. Head is a light tan color. It appears to be clear, but hard to tell because of color.

The smell of this has a lot of dark malt. I also pick up orange, biscuit (a little yeasty) and some chocolate. The nicest part is the floral hops I pick up every couple of smells. It's well hidden behind the malt, but somehow balances things out nicely. There's a little bit of a smoked quality to this one.

I'm not sure why I like this beer. There's no particular flavor that wow's me with each sip, but I immediately want another one. The floral hops are hard to find in the taste, but there is a nice little bitter pop to counteract the malty sweetness and acidity. The acidity is kind of milky (not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me) and clings to the palate after each sip. It's very malty, sweet, and buttery. Oddly, it's very IPA-like at the same time. It goes from very sweet, to a big burst of acidity, and then a slightly sharp bitterness blends in with this.

The texture is rough and chalky. However, it's not viscous like I expected it to be. It's thin, just a bit thicker than an IPA. The carbonation is at about a medium level; I only really noticed it at the beginning of a sip.

I found this very drinkable for a beer with such assertive malt flavor. I found it refreshing, and I don't understand how that works. I could probably have 2 or 3 before I wanted to move on.

Overall, not too shabby. I enjoyed it both cold and warm. My big complaint is the lingering flavors it leaves on your palate. It tastes like the bitterness and acidity have mixed together and glued themselves to my palate.

BostonTriggs, Jul 31, 2010

Poured can into red hook pint glass. Pours what else but black. Nice little head that sticks around with some lacing.

Smells of pine citrus and dark malts in the back ground.

Taste is hops right up front with roasted malts balancing the taste out. The bitterness does stick around longer but not bad at all.

Mouth feel is nice. Actually smother than expected from the color and initial smell. Expected a little more hop hit from this but over all a good beer.

Over all a good beer to try. Right in the middle of hoppiness. It's there but your not chewing your beer, not that it's a bad thing.

FatJesus, Apr 28, 2011

dhcdrummer, Mar 21, 2014

md215, Nov 20, 2013

yeager31, Dec 15, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Was my beer to kick off that night at Anchor and Hope...

A = Every one at the table was suprised I started the night with this...But I knew it was not going to be heavy...Dark..dark...dark, but nice head

S = Hops a plenty

M = not as bitter on the finish as I would have thought but had a nice choclate finish

D= Excuse me sir...but can I have another....Loved it and could drking all night

cruzncomet, Nov 21, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a can into a stemless red wine glass. It is actually very nearly black, and completely opaque. The head is just off-white and not particularly emphatic. The nose is fascinating, with dark chocolate and roasted coffee working around bright citrus, pine resin, pleasant grassiness, and some tropical fruit. The palate shows more of the same, with the malts becoming more assertive. The layers of hop aromatics play a supporting role to the malty coffee, tobacco, and bitter dark chocolate, which is... interesting.

If a weird, though well-done, love child between an American IPA and an Imperial Stout sounds interesting to you, give this one a try. Prepare for some stylistic confusion. Overall, though, from what I understand the producer was going for, this is a well-balanced and compelling black IPA.

Cellach, Jan 04, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured form a can into a mason jar.

A- It's dark. Black. Not much else to say, it has a small pale brown head.

S- It's nice, floral citrus hops with just a small touch of dark malt sweetness.

T/M- Moderate hop flavor and bitterness, although it could use more of either or both to really define it more I think. The malt also is kind of faint in the flavor and the feel is pretty thin with low-moderate carbonation. The malt flavor that you do get has a touch of roastyness to it but it faint.

O- I did enjoy drinking this, it was certainly a nice change and a style I have only had a couple times. I think I have a bit of the problem of expecting an aroma, taste and mouthfeel from what I see, but then getting something completely different. Nice for a bit of a change from the ubiquitous American IPAs I drink too many of these days, I probably will try it again.

HopDr, Jan 08, 2012

viker, Feb 04, 2012

Brew-Diligence, Oct 30, 2012

Sparkyinsurf, Dec 21, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

rlphilli, Aug 16, 2014

wsobchak, Feb 11, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's one of only a few Black IPAs I've had, but I would definitely get it again! I got a single at Beer Run in Charlottesville VA, but wish I had got a six pack. I haven't seen too many black IPAs around, but try to get one whenever I see it. Go get some!

morenone, Jan 09, 2011