Back In Black - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.80% ABV

ABV varies around 7%.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 11-23-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Back In Black Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Port Brewing Co. pint glass. Deep dark brown, not quite black but pretty dark. Head is a light tan color and a large one finger in size. Appearance of the head is light cream and just a bit thin. Lace sticks quite nicely all the way to the bottom of the glass in a ring and spotted pattern.

Smell is a fantastic dark roasted and wood soaked dream. I have smelled plenty of Barrel Aged Stouts and Porters that smell like this but not to date a Black Ale. Dark roasted coffee and chocolate. Charred wood, vanilla and some booze, maybe even some tart fruit, fig or cherry.

Taste is a huge let down. The flavors are all very watered down. They are there for a second, but it's like I sipped through a layer of flavor and ended up in water. Those flavors are just as the smell, dark roasted coffee beans, a bit of charred wood and some vanilla. There is some hop bitter here too but it almost is the culprit to it's thinness.

Mouth is smooth and light creamy. Body is delicate to light and the finish is average and just a smidge on the wet side.

Overall I really did enjoy this. I just wish it's taste and mouth were a bit more full and rich. A great interpretation of the style. I still search out a Black Ale that can dethrone the king-Stone 15th Anniversary. I'll keep looking and thanks to matttYCE for this sample. A must try.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

From a can, picked up on a recent trip to San Francisco. As I type this I realize I realize I didn’t make note of a canned on/best by date. But I’ve had it for about three weeks at this point. Doesn’t seem like it’s suffered.

Pours black, like a darker shade of cola. To be honest, the novelty of a canned beer doesn’t hold much effect upon me, typically, but pouring this I got a kick out of it for some reason. Anyways, there’s a pleasing hop aroma that comes through on the nose. Citrus notes, tropical fruit blend, grapefruit zest and a sprinkling of pine. Tastes good, with more of the same coming through in each sip. For 65 IBUs it’s an exceptionally easy sipper. There’s a slim malt but a nice mild roast that complements the hop bitterness. Crisp and refreshing.

When I first tried this a year or so ago I wasn’t impressed but either the recipe or the batch (or my own palate) has changed for the better. Tasty!

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Dark, very dark with a light brown head.

S: The smell is very good and faint but the aroma is hopy and malty.

T: Not great but is still good. There is a surprising woody taste with the hops, citrus, and malt.

M: Very light and is very carbonated.

O: Black IPAs are my favorite beers but this one is not. It is better then an average beer but this beer is not good for an average beer.

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

Leftover keg from the 21st Ammendment tasting at Sams. Welcome to Durham, 21st Ammendment!

Pours very dark brown, dark brown and mahogany hues are noticeable in light. Eggshell white head of about a half inch.

Smells light and slightly sweet. Hints of bittering hops, and lots of roasted malts. Tastes very sweet, almost adjunct sweet. Feels like BMC's attempt at a Swarzbier. Very light and sweet with hints of roast, hm Guiness Light!

Pours a very very deep mahogany with a huge off white head. Best smelling can beer I've had so far. Head is thick and sticky as well, looks nice.

Nose is big on charcoal coffee and burnt dark malts. Very stick lacing. Charcoal and burnt roasted caramel on the front end of flavor. Really no mid range with a bitter black chocolate finish supplemented by a slight hop addition. Light to medium in body with a slightly dirty finish of confused flavors (malts trying to balance the hops and vice versa)

Mostly a malty beer though with good carbonation. Not as smooth as others I've had though. Flavors are unbalanced and simple.

Still questing for a craft beer in a can that I like.

3.9/5  rDev +6%

My first taste from this brewery and it's a pretty good taste. Hop character is bright and vibrant at first that finishes in roasted flavor, resinous slow burn. The body feels a little bit thin on the palate but that seems to lend to a higher drinkability factor. Eyes closed I'd mostly think American IPA with roasted malt flavor pulses. When craving hops I might prefer a more traditional IPA but this definitely scratches an itch. I'd get this again.

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

Jet black pour into a Brooklyn Pils glass with a slight fizzy cap that quickly deteriorates. Sweet malt aroma, a surprise after having read the label "Black IPA". Bitter first sip. Not citrusy, not piney, more astringent than anything else. I cannot get a bead on any hop character, just a bitter flavor. The bitterness dissipates and gets overwhelmed by candy sweetness, which is just inconsistent with the style attempt. The fizzy thin mouth feel finishes a pretty unpleasant drinking experience. Good thing that I bought the can as a single. Don't think I'll be going back for this one. I have not had great experience with 21st Amend. but I really enjoyed their Fire Side Chat and Monks Blood. Those two successes will keep me trying their new projects in the future; this effort was simply not their finest effort.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%